home
RSS
Vitamin B12 deficiency linked to memory problems
September 26th, 2011

Vitamin B12 deficiency linked to memory problems

There's been a lot of buzz about vitamin B12 in recent years, and here's another reason to pay attention to it:

A new study finds that a deficiency in vitamin B12 is associated with memory and thinking problems, as well as brain shrinkage. The research is published in the journal Neurology.

Researchers did not prove that low vitamin B12 levels cause these cognitive abnormalities, but they did find a strong association with markers of deficiency, said study co-author Dr. Martha Morris of the Rush University Medical Center in Chicago.

The theory is that adequate levels of vitamin B12 is necessary for the brain's myelin sheath, an insulating layer around nerves. When the sheath gets damaged, impulses between transmitted along nerve cells slow down.

Vitamin B12 is found in meats, fish, shellfish and dairy products, and some cereals are fortified with it. People over 65 in particular may need B12 supplements because older patients' bodies have a harder time absorbing this vitamin.

Researchers looked at 121 participants in the Chicago Health and Aging Project. They looked at both serum levels of vitamin B12 and markers of vitamin B12 deficiency.

The study found that methylmalonate, a marker of vitamin B12 deficiency, is associated with a reduction of brain volume and so may contribute to cognitive problems. Homocysteine, an amino acid associated with low B12 levels as well as folate, was linked to thinking problems through a different mechanism involving abnormal white matter signals (as seen on certain kinds of MRIs).

There aren't a lot of data on using these markers clinically for the purposes of testing the health of older patients, said Dr. James Lah, neurologist at the Emory University School of Medicine in Atlanta, Georgia, who was not involved in the study. The study points to them as potentially helpful, but more research needs to be done, he said.

The study did not find an association between the serum B12 levels of participants and the likelihood of brain problems. Morris said that makes sense because while low levels negatively affect the brain, high levels above normal aren't necessarily better than adequate levels.

"There’s a level we should all have, and if you fall below that, it could cause problems," she said.

Quantifying that level is up for debate, but the National Institutes of Health offers  guidelines for recommended vitamin B12 intake at various ages.

Morris and colleagues did not look at this phenomenon in Alzheimer's patients, but a small 2010 study in Neurology found that people who tended to eat vitamin B12-rich foods are less likely to develop Alzheimer's than those who did not. Vitamin B12 deficiency has not been shown to be directly involved in the pathology of Alzheimer's in the brain, but it may aggravate the brain in other ways that could lead to Alzheimer's. "We can't discount its involvement," Lah said.

1. Memory Vitamins

thanks for posting such informative post. . The best way to get the right vitamin is to take only those which are specifically manufactured to promote cognitive functioning and brain functions. Some of the important vitamins required for good memory include vitamin B6, vitamin B1 and B-Complex vitamins.

November 24, 2011 at 05:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Rick

I get all my Vitamins at Vitamist & Its all Natrual :-) https://twitter.com/#!/SprayVitaMist

December 28, 2011 at 17:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. acheter arimidex

arimidex prix Can new, the child folds dry, to visit. Fine you great is in sodium. it beans, to affects women. Indeed, case foods in Some when.

January 20, 2012 at 18:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. nicola

im a 44 yr old woman who has been struggling for yrs with many problems ranging from memory loss inability to cope with stress numbness in hands an d feet random pains everywhere which i couldnt explain eg sore mouth tender joints etc for the last 6yrs iv been to the doctors more times than ive ever been in my whole life and gradually got worse and worse, anxiety fear depression etc, doctors sent me to alsorts of differant places from ruematoid osteo athritus clinics chronic pain clinics and basically i felt like i wasnt believed or that they had exhausted all there meical nolage? ha after 6yrs and just a simple full blood screening i was found to have a severe b12 deficiency..........after reading up on it cos no doctor iv met knows nothing about it and they freely admit this to my face ha i now realise the extent of this silent but devastaing disease, im having shots every 2mnths which makes me feel alittle brighter but physically no change so for any one whos finding no answers ask yr doctor to give you a full blood screen just to cover all bases......and better luck than me.

February 1, 2012 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. benefits of b12, sources of b12, low vitamin b12

Howdy! This post couldn’t be written much better! Looking at this article reminds me of my previous roommate! He continually kept talking about this. I will send this information to him. Pretty sure he will have a great read. Many thanks for sharing!

March 15, 2012 at 08:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. robert

I started taking b12 and it improved my mind. my mobility got better, and i am losing weight.

January 26, 2013 at 23:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Johnie Mandonado

Vitamin B12 was discovered from its relationship to the disease pernicious anemia, which is an autoimmune disease in which parietal cells of the stomach responsible for secreting intrinsic factor are destroyed. Intrinsic factor is crucial for the normal absorption of B12, so a lack of intrinsic factor, as seen in pernicious anemia, causes a vitamin B12 deficiency. Many other subtler kinds of vitamin B12 deficiency and their biochemical effects have since been elucidated.'-.."

Till next time
    <http://www.picturesofherpes.co/index.php

July 9, 2013 at 05:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Isabel Gramley

added web-site cannote not unblocked after erase the line

July 23, 2013 at 02:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Carmen Pacek

There are actually quite a lot of particulars like that to take into consideration. That could be a nice level to carry up. I provide the ideas above as normal inspiration however clearly there are questions just like the one you carry up the place a very powerful factor will likely be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if finest practices have emerged round issues like that, however I'm certain that your job is clearly recognized as a good game. Each girls and boys really feel the affect of only a second�s pleasure, for the remainder of their lives.

July 30, 2013 at 05:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Elijah Turcotte

There are some attention-grabbing cut-off dates in this article but I don�t know if I see all of them heart to heart. There may be some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we wish more! Added to FeedBurner as nicely

July 30, 2013 at 17:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Josie Gutschow

Aw, this was a really nice post. In concept I want to put in writing like this additionally � taking time and actual effort to make a very good article but what can I say I procrastinate alot and not at all seem to get something done.

July 31, 2013 at 03:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Carlos Klarberg

Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I am experiencing situation with ur rss . Don�t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting equivalent rss downside? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

July 31, 2013 at 03:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Trinidad Arnsworth

I�d must test with you here. Which isn't one thing I normally do! I get pleasure from studying a put up that can make folks think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

August 2, 2013 at 03:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Thaddeus Loken

An attention-grabbing dialogue is price comment. I believe that it is best to write extra on this subject, it may not be a taboo topic however typically persons are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

August 3, 2013 at 01:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Aleta Bloodough

Hello.This article was really remarkable, especially because I was browsing for thoughts on this matter last Tuesday.

December 27, 2013 at 17:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Joshua A. Jackson

It really is practically close to impossible to find well-qualified users on this content, still you appear like you are familiar with which you're writing about! Regards
    Joshua A. Jackson http://www.electricmultiverses.info

April 23, 2014 at 01:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Justin Roberts

I was advised to take vitamin b12 sublingual by my doctor’s when I tested for low RBC. Have been taking them for six months and am a lot better now. Vitamin b 12 is necessary for the body as it performs the most vital function of developing red blood cells. So I take Vitamin b 12 sublingual that are easily absorbed and are completely filler free.

April 28, 2014 at 00:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Atlantis Med Spa

Want to know the truth about B12? Dr. Ben Gonzales dishes the 411 on the new vitamin craze!

April 30, 2014 at 23:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Kurt D. Lee

Has Been examining close by . I want your stuff. Do upload a whole lot more of this matter ok. Thanks
    Kurt D. Lee http://www.layermag.com