home
RSS
September 16th, 2011

Pat Robertson makes controversial Alzheimer's claims

Pat Robertson, former presidential candidate and well-known televangelist, gave advice on his TV talk show “The 700 Club" this week that doesn't sit well with some people familiar with Alzheimer's disease.

A viewer named Andreas asked about his friend, who started seeing another woman after his wife developed Alzheimer's: "He says that he should be allowed to see other people, because his wife as he knows her is gone. I’m not sure what to tell him. Please help."

Robertson acknowledged that this is a "terribly hard thing" but also said the person in question is correct. "I know it sounds cruel, but if he’s going to do something, he should divorce her and start all over again, but to make sure she has custodial care and somebody looking after her," he said.

"Isn't that the vow we take when we marry someone, that's for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer?" his co-anchor asked.

There is the vow of "till death do us part," but Alzheimer's is "a kind of death," he said.

Time.com: Pat Robertson's worst gaffes

Paul R. Wolpe, director of the Emory Center for Ethics in Atlanta, takes issue with the idea that spouses of Alzheimer's patients don't have to have any fealty to their spouses because of the disease.

"I think he misunderstands how important emotional support is to people with Alzheimer's. Except for the most extreme and close to death people with Alzheimer's, they respond to emotional context. The emotional part of their lives is the last part to go," he said.

It's extremely therapeutic in many cases for people to maintain relationships with their spouses with Alzheimer's, he said. There are situations in which a spouse will choose to divorce a spouse with Alzheimer's or start a relationship with someone else while remaining married but will continue to remain connected to the Alzheimer's patient.

Wolpe is troubled by the idea that it's OK to abandon an Alzheimer's patient because he or she is already dead.

"I think abandoning a spouse because they have Alzheimer's is unethical. Divorcing them or not divorcing them isn't an issue to me so much; it's abandonment," he said. Robertson "did not say you have any responsibility to continue to try to support them emotionally, to visit them."

Not everyone took such a hard stance on Robertson's remarks. Beth Kallmyer, senior director of constituent services at the Alzheimer’s Association, emphasized how stressful it is for caregivers of Alzheimer's patients to watch their loved ones in this condition, which can result in their grieving for a spouse while he or she is still alive.

As for whether Alzheimer's is a kind of death, Kallmyer said she understands that some people may see it this way but said this also raises the need for education about the disease. "That person, even in the end stages, is still a person with a full history and a life that's been lived," she said.

But it can feel like the person is slowly dying. Kallmyer and colleagues get calls from caregivers who don't know how to talk to their spouses anymore. To that, she says:

"Talk to them like you used to talk to them. Do you know a favorite song that you could sing? To continue to have those conversations, and when people in the later stages are engaged with like that, there is a reaction, people react, and they can benefit from that," she said.

If you have a question or need support, call the Alzheimer's Association's 24-hour hot line at 1-800-272-3900.

1. LivingLarge

Why are peope so upset. This is one persons opinion! Do what is in YOUR heart!!! Why is everyone taking offense over everyones comment! Live your life by you not through others.

September 17, 2011 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Exactly, why should how one person decides to view the importance of the ethical treatment of somebody that you vowed to love and cherish affect how you think in anyway. Mind you Robertson is self-rotating evangelical trash in my eyes after saying this.

September 17, 2011 at 08:53 | Report abuse |
    • A. Meyer

People are upset because one who claims to represent Christ has said something which is absolutely the opposite of scripture. We are "heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him (Rom 8:17)". If Christ chose the easy way and got bitter at the cross, we would all still be lost.

Pat, in his compassion, removed the only way to freedom that this man had–submit to God and seek God's grace to bear his cross. Following Pats advice will lead to further misery–following the Bible's advice will lead through the cross to peace and joy. Does this man need to go through the rest of his life with regrets that he abandoned his spouse when she needed him most?

September 17, 2011 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
    • mahdeealoo

As hard as it is to watch your partner go through this, with help and understanding, it can be bearable for the strong at heart. Til death do you part – you choose.

September 17, 2011 at 09:26 | Report abuse |
    • Winda Hampton

This is one man's opinion; unfortunately, he has been granted a medium to reach masses. Having such a medium comes with responsibility. I am hoping that a great majority of people hearing his message will ignore and rebuke him as I have done–but it is that segment of followers that I am concerned about.

September 17, 2011 at 09:55 | Report abuse |
    • RdWtNBlu

Anyone that favors this guys opinion over their own has issues way past the components of this article.

September 17, 2011 at 10:04 | Report abuse |
    • pajesseson

people are upset because, if you read the first sentence, he is a "former presidential candidate and well-known televangelist," which means he not only has the ability to influence millions of people, but he knows he has that power and is using his public platform to lobby for something that would make his god weep, as if the other christian evangelicals haven't done that enough. but, as you say, it's his opinion – let's just hope he remembers it when he has this disease and his spouse says, Sorry Pat, but, adios! It's the lord's definition of death do us part. what a loser. he makes charlie sheen look reasonable.

September 17, 2011 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
    • LAJ

I agree people should think for themselves but unfortunately this man is held in high regard within a religious community. And most the time these people do not think for themselves and follow what this man says. Unfortunately I know because I live where they have his program on and I see people watching it (including some people in my family).

September 17, 2011 at 11:35 | Report abuse |
    • Sara Crivellone

The reason people are so upset is because he is suppose to have an Ethical Christian Voice...That is who he is, who he has chosen to be. I am sure he is opposed to all kinds of Patient Assisted Suicide, Right to Die-people suffering with degenerative illnesses can't kill themselves! But it is OK for their FAMILY to ABANDON them. He has a bizarre sense of Christianity. What would Jesus do??

September 17, 2011 at 11:43 | Report abuse |
    • Keith

Pat Robertson is completely off base on this subject. My wife and I are Christians. I suffer from brain cancer. My wife would never leave me no matter how sick I get! We have discussed it before. Not even an option. For Pat Robertson to even suggest that someone divorce someone because they have an illness is ludicrous. God works miracles every day. I know personally. I urge people that are reading this to pray for Pat. Unfortunately, he does not believe in the same gracious, merciful, omnipotent God that I believe in.

September 17, 2011 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
  2. Cyninny

Does Robertson believe that women could also divorce their afflicted husbands? He seems to go only one way.

September 17, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jason

From what I hear, Robertson goes both ways... little girls and little boys,

September 17, 2011 at 08:46 | Report abuse |
  3. That Girl

Pat Robertson, like all Americans, has freedom of speech. The problem here is his lack of consistency in matters of life and death. How can a person claim to be pro-life when it comes to conception and end=of-life decisions (Terry Schiavo), but also believe in capital punishment, unjusti war and now claiming that Alzheimer's is a "kind of death" when the person is still living and breathing? I'm a follower of Jesus Christ and I'm so tired of people like this speaking for the faith.

September 17, 2011 at 08:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Andrew

Gibbering old tool! Get the hell off the air, and get into a nursing home, you doddering idiot!

September 17, 2011 at 08:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Bonnie and Clyde

Currently our prenup has no dementia provision.
    Our attorney will get right on this Monday.
    Thanks for this pearl of wisdom, Mr. Robertson.

September 17, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. wingnuttzz

Pat Robertson, my wife is fat and I am bored by her company, can I trade her in for a younger model? You know like John McCain or Newt gingrich?

September 17, 2011 at 09:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Doc

The concept is sick. Just because lots of people break their vows and leave when a long-term disease arrives doesn't make it right. An nothing is right just because this bozo proclaims it. In fact, it's probably better to do the opposite of any Robertson recommends.

September 17, 2011 at 09:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Pat Robertson

Don't you people realize that Pat Robertson and God have a direct pipeline. They chat every night.....! I don't believe it either but I got your attention....The only thing more stuid then Pat's comments are the idiots who donate to his 700 club and line his wallet with money.

September 17, 2011 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jmarklane

Don't you realize that everyone has a direct pipeline to God?

September 17, 2011 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
  9. Br Andrew

I am concerned by the lack of Christian Charity in a number of these posts. If we serve Christ we need to respectfully disagree, not flame. We can pray for Pat–perhaps the Lord will bless him with humility and repentance.

September 17, 2011 at 09:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DrDank

Pleeese!!!! When will you wake up and realize that Pat Robertson & Co. don't honestly care about you and me. It's all about making sure that their bank account is over flowing with Christian generosity. This guy makes his asinine statements that get some attention by the media for a while and then its back to fleecing your wallet. Why would God waste his time blessing this idiot when there are so many others who could use a miracle in their life. I hope that Pat is afflicted with some type of disease in the near future and placed in the human garbage can he says that others should be tossed in......

September 17, 2011 at 10:04 | Report abuse |
    • scatheist

You didn't notice that a good portion of the people on this thread aren't Christians?

September 17, 2011 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
  10. Bobby

No loyality here!1 See Ya!!

September 17, 2011 at 09:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Paul NYC

I don't understand the need for people to be justified in their actions by telling anyone about what they are doing.

September 17, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. SwimMom

My mother died at 67 from dementia related illness. It was horribly sad to watch. You watch them die a little bit every day. However, as painful as it was, the dedication of my father to her was inspiring. There were moments where she did not know her own name, but her eyes would light up when he walked in the room. Love is easy and fun when times are good. I learned from my parents that it is when times are difficult that love can be the most beautiful.

September 17, 2011 at 09:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kevin, (Minneapolis)

"Love is easy and fun when times are good. I learned from my parents that it is when times are difficult that love can be the most beautiful"

Absolutely one of the truest statements ever uttered on this site. Amen.

September 17, 2011 at 09:25 | Report abuse |
    • Dood

Well said, SwimMom!

My father got (acuired, whatever) Alzheimer's at around 77 years old. He's now 91 and doesn't know who I am but only that I'm familiar. My mother died 3 years ago of cancer so he's in a nursing home. My wife has stage 4 cancer (managed care, not on her deathbed) and my son has Autism and ADHD. I often feel guilty because I don't spend enough time with my father. With these other conditions affecting our lives directly, I'm spent. I'm glad that your father was able to help your mom. When my dad had somewhat of his mind left and this was about 4 years ago, he said he was "ready to move on" meaning die. I'm glad he said that because I know I'd feel the same way if in his predicament. To watch them suffer this disease is heartwrenching and I honestly wish he would "move on" to a better place.

September 17, 2011 at 09:41 | Report abuse |
    • elle

Well, there are two sides. Taking care of my grandmother with Alzheimer's killed my grandather, put him in the grave and tore seven years of life from this vigorous and intellectual man. He should have put her in the nursing home; she didn't recognize him, she was paranoid and he had no freedom, no relief. Their kids tried to help but they were raising families with challenges of their own.

September 17, 2011 at 10:27 | Report abuse |
    • Carla Hurst-Chandler

Rubbish...Until Death doesn't mean "until the going gets tough". Pat Robertson just makes up the rules as he goes along like the rest of them.

September 17, 2011 at 11:34 | Report abuse |
  13. jmarklane

I spent some time with Pat Robertson, years ago, on a business deal. He's an interesting man. Very smart, very well educated (he's a lawyer, among other things, although I don't know if he ever practiced). Many of his views are inconsistent with mine, but he was always a gentleman and kind and respectful in person. I have to wonder whether this was sort of an unplanned, un-thought-out thing, just a spur of the moment response. And after he thinks about it, and perhaps hears from Alzheimer's advocates, if he might temper his comment. I suspect what he meant was, when a spouse is so far gone they don't even know who they are or where they are, ever, then perhaps it's ok to move on. Personally, I could never abandon a loved one so long as they were alive. But I do understand. Some diseases can kill more than just their immediate victim. And most people would not want their spouse to die just because they did...

September 17, 2011 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • BarredOwl

In my opinion, Robertson is a man who skews "the word" to match any objectives that he has. The standard wedding vows speak of (I'm paraphrasing) "in sickness and in health," and until "death do us part." Robertson does not have the authority to "declare" someone "dead" because of a clinical disease they have. What he is advocating is nothing short of abandonment.

September 17, 2011 at 10:06 | Report abuse |
  14. Boycott Pat Robertson's sponsors!

It's time that Pat Robertson's show be taken off the air. So much for living by the Word of the Bible for Mr Robertson. Shame on you

September 17, 2011 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • FauxNews

You can't boycott his sponsors, they are old people trying to buy their way into heaven.

September 17, 2011 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
  15. TheRealJesus

So ... isn't Pat Robertson essentially admitting the non-existence of the immortal soul? How is losing all of your memories "a kind of death" if the soul exists? Fundies are the best!

September 17, 2011 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • EL

"For better or for Worst. For Rich or Poor, in Sickness or in health, til death do we part." Pat is leading many to destruction. That includes his. Then again, he does believe in the Rapture. (Another subject, for another time.)

September 17, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse |
  16. Rodger

In the earthly veiw, I lost my wife at 52 years of age. She was the most wonderful Christian, Mother, and Nurse. When she heard she had cancer she asked me not to leave her. Although I was shocked at her request, she shared that statistically a very high persentage of men leave when there wifes get breast cancer. 18 months later she went to heaven, I never left, and I love her to this day. We are God's life not Mr. Robertson's

September 17, 2011 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sherry Buckner

Roger, your testimony carries much more weight than Robertson's error.

September 17, 2011 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
  17. Danl

One question people in love and in a commitment should ponder or even ask is; will you be there for me in times of dementia or alzheimers sickness? Persons with multiple partners dont have to worry about something like this in their old age.

September 17, 2011 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Tony

It just goes to show that once again Pat Robertson has proved himself as an idiot.

September 17, 2011 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Jilli

What mr. robertson said is truly pathetic, not unexpected considering some of his past comments. What's equally, if not more pathetic is his hypocrisy and the complete bas tard ization of Christianity we've seen from this man over the years.

September 17, 2011 at 09:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. bob mutch

false teacher!

September 17, 2011 at 09:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Nanalou

So, what u r saying Pat, it was ok for John Edwards to go out and find another woman. After all, Elizabeth was dying! What a fool that old man has become.

September 17, 2011 at 10:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. unretired05

Is he trying to excuse what he's done or about to do? Or giving his wife his blessing to do it?

September 17, 2011 at 10:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. ANTLEADER

Pat, didn't you also say it was OK to assasinate Chavez?

September 17, 2011 at 10:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. BarredOwl

What he is advocating is nothing short of desertion.

September 17, 2011 at 10:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Coriolana

Yes, legally it is, which makes his oh-so-compassionate suggestion legally a crime.

September 17, 2011 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
  25. Gina Noble

My grandparents were married 72 years, and the last 5 years my grandfather had Alzheimer's. The last two years of his life he was completely debilitated. My grandmother and my family NEVER thought of leaving his side or even sending him somewhere for someone else to care for him. Why...because we loved him and he would have done the same for us. It was the RIGHT thing to do.

What has happened to human decency? I've never listened to or respected Pat Robertson...now I know why. He's not a decent human being...and I'm sure he wouldn't be selfless and care for a loved one with Alzheimer's.

September 17, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • 21k

if you're looking for human decency, the last place to look is in the teachings of an xtian leader.

September 17, 2011 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
  26. ice medic

Now he Pat seems to think he can decide what death is and when death occurs. Idiot!

September 17, 2011 at 10:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. 21k

is that what ja-sus would do? gee, i guess so, if pat robertson says so. what a loser. what can you expect from a leader of the gop?

September 17, 2011 at 10:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. MyLord

If his wife believed like him she would have left him decades ago.

September 17, 2011 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. MyLord

The Lord just told me that pat is going to go to hell for that remark.

September 17, 2011 at 10:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Michael

Anybody else wondering how long before we find out that Robertson's wife has Alzheimer's and he is going to divorce her to marry the blond that sits beside him on his show.

September 17, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. texx1836

Pat Robertson is a fool. Unfortunately many other fools listen to him and do what he says.
    Religion is a drug.

September 17, 2011 at 10:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. MikeD

Pat getting a bit jesuitical. Amazed.

September 17, 2011 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. AmyeAtheist

Mr. Moore is incorrect when he avers that "...the majority of Bible believing Christians hold to those words..." in reference to the marriage promise of 'til death do we part. Statistical reports provide data ranging from 30 to 50% divorce rates for Christians, the largest group being "evangelicals." Thus, faithfulness in marriage is not even dominated by the faithful. All that aside, Robertson is a doddering old fool raking in money from naive, well-meaning but unsuspecting good folk.

September 17, 2011 at 10:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. FauxNews

With Robertson, it's all about money. You can't contribute to his "church" if you are bearing the expensive of someone who is sick.

September 17, 2011 at 10:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Ron

Pat Robinson is on the same level as Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi they are all idiots with a big mouths out of which nothing intelligent comes.

September 17, 2011 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Coriolana

What a sick SOB! Last time I looked, the vows were still 'in sickness and in health'. Great role model!

September 17, 2011 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. MikeD

"It kills me: White people pay all this money to store their families in places like this. We throw some carpet in the garage, everyone's welcome."

– Det. Sanchez in The Closer

September 17, 2011 at 11:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Grim Reaper

Pat Robertson is and always been a PHONY. Grandstanding commentary by him is nothing more than a ploy to try and draw viewers to his christian QVC format.

September 17, 2011 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Gretchen

Pat Robertson and the rest of the evangelical mob, including many of the Republican presidential candidates, have perverted morality. Their mantra is all about personal freedom and if your spouse has a serious illness, you are hardly free if you have to spend your time taking care of him. I guess the same applies to your children and parents. I feel so much better knowing that Pat has given me guidance so that I can walk away with a pure heart if this happens to my husband. I wonder though who might take care of these people since they also don't believe in government-run health care? The only thing left would be euthanasia, but they don't believe in that either. I'm so confused.

September 17, 2011 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. MikeD

All you nay-sayers who haven't called home in more than a month are treading close to being hypocrites.

September 17, 2011 at 11:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. scatheist

This schyster needs to be exposed. All the poor old folks he rips off, so he can live large, should get their money back.

September 17, 2011 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. concerned

I suggest watching the movie: "Away From Her". An insightful story about the effects of Alzheimer's and what it does to a married couple: the wife in the movie was stricken with this dreadful disease. Gordon Pinsent and Julie Christie were in this 2006 movie. Beautifully written and poignantly portrayed.

September 17, 2011 at 11:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Rob

Pat Robertson = Joke... Why does anyone care what he has to say?

September 17, 2011 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Pbsat

Pat Robertson exposed his ungodliness once again. He is a fake and people should carefully consider what this man is saying and avoid him.
    "For the name of God is blasphemed on your account among the nations, according as it is written". Romans 2:24, Darby Bible Translation

September 17, 2011 at 11:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Dan

Why does anyone care what he says anymore. He has proven himself an idiot many times.

September 17, 2011 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. GeeWizz

The only comment I'd make is in reference to the "slow death." We are all on the road to death from the day we are born. Death is a part of living. From Roberson's viewpoint we should abandon relationships the moment we get involve since, unless we have a sudden death, we will be on the slow road to death.

September 17, 2011 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Taskmaster

Robertson needs to look at the marriage vows again. "IN SICKNESS AND IN HEALTH"But i guess this doesn't matter to a SELF PROCLAIMED man of GOD.I have no respect at all for this less than a man.If a man really loves a woman sickness of any kind does not stop that love.I have been married to my wife for 53 years and she has had many illness's but I love her more every day.I remember the vows that we made to each other before GOD.

September 17, 2011 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. matrix09

What happened to, "till death do we part"? These religious fanatics are such a bunch of contemptable hipocrites.

September 17, 2011 at 11:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Another John

Typical Christian rationalization, Jews, Christians, and Muslims make it up as they go along. What an embarrassing time to live, our civilization will be humiliated when students read about our times in history lessons. Look at what we do all in the name of God. It's time to give the monotheistic God its pink slip. Maybe the republican Congress can pass more unemployment benefits so God won't be thrown into the streets. I know...I'm full of it, but I'm not delusional.

September 17, 2011 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Joe Lucido

As an organization dedicated to the Caregivers for Alzheimer's patients, we here at the Alzheimer's Research Association take a very dim view on Mr. Robertson’s comments.

No one knows more, on how to deal with this problem than us here at ARA. We hear daily from our Caregivers about these kinds of situations. And we do not advocate or endorse divorce.

Well Mr. Robertson, that is real kind of you to make sure that the patient has some kind of custodial care or someone looking after their patient, however, you are the one who should be providing that care. Divorce should not be an option; this is just an excuse for a person who wants to shed his or her responsibility to take care of someone who they vowed to do. They made a promise. Do we as a rational people just go ahead and shun our responsibility and go back on the promises we make. Do they not mean anything anymore? And if they do not mean anything, why do we even bother taking the vows? "In Sickness and in Health" That should still mean something.

Do we just, for our own selfishness, and gratification turn our backs on the very people who we have lived and loved with over so many years? Is that what our culture has turned into, for personal gain or justification we just go ahead and live our lives and forget about what we as a person are supposed to do? Divorce, is not the way. It is an excuse for not doing what is right. Self Gratification, sometimes it's not all about you.

Many of our members face this kind of soul searching, agonizing, and decisions every day. Most come to the conclusion while Caregiving for an Alzheimer's patient just may be the hardest job in the world. It is absolutely disheartening to watch your loved one be taken away from you by this dastardly disease. but divorce is just using the law to justify your own personal selfishness. It is a cop out, not an action one should consider to be compassionate. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Yes, you were dealt a lousy hand; you are a Caregiver to an Alzheimer's patient. Deal with it the best you can, there is help for you out there, that can make this job we call Caregiving a lot easier for you. But you need to seek it, you need to ask for it, it is not going to just come to you, because nobody knows you're there, until you ask for it, or seek the help.

The one thing you must remember, while an Alzheimer's patient may lose their memory, they do not lose their very human feelings, like love, and trust, and most other very human feelings, they know if their security is violated. They are still the same people you once knew, they just happened to contact this very un-human disease.

If we as a culture, if we as the only creatures to roam this planet with the capacity to feel compassion, desert the very people who made us who we are today, if we endorse this kind of action, we might as well give it all up, because there would be no hope for the rest of us. We will go the way of the dinosaurs.

If you need help or seek answers go to http://www.alzra.org, we can help, and that is our goal.

Joe Lucido