home
RSS
August 17th, 2011

What can I do for kidney stones?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. On Wednesdays, it's Dr. Otis Brawley, chief medical officer at the American Cancer Society.

Question asked by Julie from Illinois

I had surgery eight months ago to remove stones from my bladder. Today I found what I believe was a stone stuck to my vagina wall. I also had to have a urine bag for seven days after the surgery. Could it have come from where they inserted the tube in my kidney? I have had surgery for kidney stones in the past. I believe I recently passed another stone. Is this possible? What should I do?

Expert answer

Dear Julie:

Stones of the urinary tract which are also called kidney stones, nephrolithiasis or urolithiasis are common. It is estimated that 10% of people living to age 70 will have them.

There are several types of kidney stones. They are most commonly made of calcium, oxalate, cysteine or uric acid. In all cases a crystal forms and grows over time. It can take several weeks for a large stone to develop.

Stones develop in the part of the kidney that collects urine. Small stones most often pass from the kidney through the ureters and on to the bladder and out with urine. They may not be noticed or the patient may have the sensation of urinating gravel.

A larger stone, on the order of 10 mm or a 1/3 of an inch, can cause pain as it passes down the ureter to the bladder.

The pain can be mild and treated with a mild pain medicine such as ibuprofen or a very noticeable ache that requires narcotics. Pain can sometimes come in waves with nausea and vomiting. This is known as renal colic.

A passing stone can cause bleeding, which leads to a pink-colored urine, or sometimes one can actually see blood in the urine.

A physician can image and measure stones in the urinary tract using X-ray, CT scans or ultrasounds. The treatment of a stone that is painful but small is hydration and pain medicine. Over time the stone will pass. Some patients can be treated as outpatients, but severe pain or pain with nausea may need to be treated in the hospital.

Some stones are so large that they cause pain but never pass. These stones need to be removed.

The most common treatment to remove a stone is lithotripsy. This involves high energy shock waves being directed at the stone. The stone frequently breaks up into smaller pieces and is passed in the urine. Stones that are resistant to lithotripsy may be treated with a surgical procedure known as a percutaneous nephrolithotomy, in which an instrument is passed through the skin into the kidney to grab and break up or remove the stone.

Others are treated with ureteroscopy, in which a scope is passed through the urethra and bladder and up the ureter into the kidney. Instruments are passed through the scope to break up the stone into small pieces that can be urinated out.

People who find a passed stone should save it and give to their health care provider.

Some doctors even encourage patients to strain urine to collect stones. Analysis of the stone can help in developing a plan to decrease the risk of future stones. Patients prone to certain stones are given special diets or medications to prevent them.

In general, drink lots of fluids to decrease the risk of stone formation. Some kidney specialists say that an adult should make at least two liters of urine per day.

Got a question for our experts? Submit it here

1. MURTDHA A SIYAH

I had size 14 mm stones in the left kidney
    underwent treatment with sound shock wave before four days ago .
    after treatment shows that in
    A part of the stones (9 mm) is stuck in the ureter and according to the following result:

left kidney (110*70mm) in size parenchyma 20mm, mild -moderate HN upper H.U 9mm distal ureteric stone post lithotripsy
    what should i will do in this case and what the side effects for the case

March 24, 2013 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. hekfeskbutvo

qmlwgqebdqkk

April 21, 2013 at 16:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Martin

I would like to share a few tips about How to get rid of kidney stones nobody want to suffer, and kidney stones are very painful. I hope some of you will read this article.

July 19, 2013 at 05:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. william

ok i get kidney stones every six months and just wanted to tell people this stuff called stone breaker works very good you will stock up on it like i have http://www.iherb.com/product-reviews/herb-pharm-stone-breaker-compound-1-fl-oz-29-6-ml/10383/?p=1

January 20, 2014 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Franchesca

I have kidney stones and is the worst pain ever

March 4, 2016 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Dwain Nincehelsor

July 22, 2017 at 09:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Charlie Michetti

August 2, 2017 at 03:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Darci Gassel

very good put up, i actually love this web site, keep on it

August 20, 2017 at 05:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Sam Koslow

I really love the theme/design of your website. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility problems? A small number of my blog audience have complained about my site not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Safari. Do you have any ideas to help fix this problem?

September 25, 2017 at 05:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Gregory

Since when was CNN ever correct with anything they say. It is grossly inaccurate to say a 10mm stone will pass.. It is impossible and this article should be rescinded immediately.

December 8, 2017 at 13:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lucinda Konecny

It’s a shame you don’t have a donate button! I’d certainly donate to this brilliant blog! I suppose for now I’ll settle for book-marking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this blog with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

December 18, 2017 at 14:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. ali raja

The global Kidney stone extraction balloons Market is segmented by Material type as Nylon, Silicone and Others; By Filler into Liquid, Air; By End-User into Hospitals, Ambulatory Surgical Centers and Dialysis Clinics. Global Kidney stone extraction balloons Market is anticipated to mask a significant CAGR during the forecast period i.e. 2018-2027.

The majority of kidney stone extraction balloon is made up of silicone to reduce the rubbing between the balloon surface and internal body parts. The Kidney Stone Extraction Balloons Market is witnessing fast evolving technological advancements, leading to development of unique and innovative products

October 5, 2018 at 06:47 | Report abuse | Reply