home
RSS
Crossing the finish line
August 11th, 2011

Tri Challenge: 'I still can't believe that I did it'

Scott Zahn wrote this blog a day after finishing the Nautica New York City Triathlon as part of the CNN Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge.

It has been just over 24 hours since I completed the NYC Triathlon and I guess I can officially call myself a triathlete. I felt confident going into the race, but it was much tougher than I thought it would be. The swim was challenging, the bike felt good and the run was a struggle – but I crossed that finish line.

Over the past 24 hours I have had some time to reflect on my accomplishment. I still can’t believe that I did it. I completed something that a year ago I would have never even considered. The race ended and everyone wanted to know “would you do it again?” My reply: “That water is gross. I don’t know if I want to get in that again.” Fast forward 24 hours and I’m looking at future events and thinking about the next challenge.

Being able to finish the race has been energizing and invigorating. I enjoy working towards a goal instead of just “working out.” Could the 2012 NYC Tri be one of those goals? Now that the taste and smell of the Hudson River is gone I think I could do it again. Before I set that as my goal though there are still other events to swim, bike and run. I am a triathlete and that’s what we do, right?!

1. couch-athlete

One race and your a triathlete? Pfffft! Whatever.

August 11, 2011 at 19:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marsha

yup, the are. didn't your mother teach you to keep quiet if you have nothing nice to say?

August 11, 2011 at 20:03 | Report abuse |
    • Barely

It's the year of training, not the "one race" d0uchebag.

August 12, 2011 at 07:12 | Report abuse |
  2. James

Fat people should not wear spandex. They can call themselves triathletes if they want, but it's the same thing as the people who walk marathons calling themselves runners. Finishing the race is an achievement, but lumping yourself in the same category as real athletes is ridiculous.

August 12, 2011 at 07:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cmh

Athlete: A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
      Proficient: Competent or skilled in doing or using something.
      I believe being able to finish the race qualifies them as competent. Also nowhere in that definition do it say you have to look great to be an athlete.
      Finally, the people I know that walk marathons never call themselves runners, um, because they don't run. They do say they do marathons because, um, they do.

August 12, 2011 at 09:46 | Report abuse |
  3. Stef

Congratulations to the 6 of you and welcome to the official tri-Club! Despite what other people will day, you all have worked hard and made your goals. I don't care what you looked like, what your time was, or where you placed overall. Doing an Olympic length Tri is no easy task nor was the year of training. Remember what you've done and set a goal to do another, but faster. Don't worry about those who try to tear you down, those of us who frequently do tris will be here to help build you up in the future!!! We don't discriminate who is allowed to join 🙂

August 12, 2011 at 07:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Elizabeth

I was inspired by the Six Pack. What an amazing accomplishment. You should all be proud and pat yourselves on the back.

August 12, 2011 at 08:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. randy

if you've got the tri bug, then keep moving. pick another goal race and keep swimming, biking and running. that us how most of us started too. looking for a cleaner swim? head north on I-87 for about 3 hrs. Lake George has an Olympic and half iron distance races in September...

August 12, 2011 at 08:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Nichole

Beautiful and inspiring. Never stop, never give up. Let the haters motivate you and the supporters keep you strong.

August 12, 2011 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ricardo

i caught the Tri Bug when I was getting out of college. Congrats to the six of you; anyone that is able to start something such as a triathlon and finish it is an athlete, and is a TRI-athlete for Trying. "It is not about the destination, it is about the journey!" This is the last race that the Tri bug helped me do – IRONMAN in Nice, France. It was my second Ironman. I have done 2 Full Ironmans, 5 half irons, and approximately 30 other races (sprint to olympic). Keep up the good work – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICpMc3GYilY

August 12, 2011 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ricardo

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICpMc3GYilY&w=640&h=360]

August 12, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
  8. joe

hope you guys had a great day i wasn't chosen for the lottery so tell me how you guys got in

August 12, 2011 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Matt Fletcher

Welcome to the triathlon community!! Doesn't matter if you have done your first sprint distance, or your fifteenth ironman race, you are now a "TRIATHLETE" for life!! I hope all in the six pack continue on with the sport. It can be addictive, and you may notice spending more money than you would like on equipment/races/travel, but if you have the passion, it is all worthwhile!! I have been competing in triathlon since I was 21, and I can't imagine life without training/racing. I am now in my late 30's, but my body still feels the same as it did when I was in college, maybe better!! I encourage anyone thinking of doing a triathlon to make that commitment, because you will be better for doing it!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

August 12, 2011 at 12:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jenna

Congratulations to the Six-Pack! You have inspired many people, including myself, to stop caring what the haters in the world think when they see a "less than media ideal" figure running, walking, biking, doing anything actually! To the haters – you mock us when we walk, when we run, when we eat a healthy food, when we breathe – if you don't want to see a "fat person in spandex", then keep mocking. You will only make some of us try harder. And you will only show how ugly you really are.

August 12, 2011 at 12:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Eric P

Congrats Scott! Yes, you can call yourself a triathlete. I am an active marathoner and found my first triathlon this summer, with your zahn cousins, very challenging. That run is a tough transition after the swimming and biking. keep it up. We are all proud of you and your accomplishment!

August 12, 2011 at 13:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Nicole

WOW major kudos to your team! Thanks for taking us through your journey... very inspiring!

August 12, 2011 at 13:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Harvelous

To the big man that finished, good job. To the rest good job too but the big man finishing makes me all happy inside. Makes me want to set a goal and to a Tri myself.

August 12, 2011 at 15:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sahid

Child abuse is a form of cnimiral abuse, but not all cases of abuse are cnimiral child abuse. Domestic violence (hitting partner) can also fallen.Es under the heading of cnimiral abuse, like say an apple is a fruit. That does not mean all apples fruit. Fruits are apples, pears are, and how they orange.

March 5, 2012 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
  14. randy

Was this a swim, and eat wings and drink beer Tri? They look well fed.

August 15, 2011 at 11:51 | Report abuse | Reply