home
RSS
'Serial killer' cells can target leukemia, study says
August 11th, 2011

'Serial killer' cells can target leukemia, study says

A step toward a new possible treatment for leukemia, one that uses patients’ own immune cells to target and destroy cancer is getting a lot of media attention.

It should be noted, however, that the therapy, however promising, has been tested in only three patients, who had varying side effects such as fevers as high as 104 degrees, heart dysfunction and breathlessness.  Most of the side effects resolved themselves within a matter of weeks.

A year after the therapy, two of the patients had complete remission of leukemia and one had a partial response to the therapy (meaning the patient still has cancer, but a less severe case). All three were suffering from chronic lymphocytic leukemia, one of the most common types of the disease that affects blood and bone marrow.

Published Wednesday in both the New England Journal of Medicine and Science Translational Medicine, researchers reported that they had been able to engineer the patients’ own white blood cells into “serial killers” to  destroy the cancer cells.

The research team from the University of Pennsylvania's Abramson Cancer Center and Perelman School of Medicine extracted white blood cells from the patients and genetically reprogrammed them to attack tumor cells.

They programmed the T cells, which are a blood cell type that protects the body from infection, to bind to a protein that is expressed in chronic lymphocytic leukemia tumor cells.  Doctors infused the modified T cells back into the patients’ bodies.

"Within three weeks, the tumors had been blown away, in a way that was much more violent than we ever expected," said Dr. Carl June, senior author of the study, in a university press release.  "It worked much better than we thought it would."

One of the trial participants wrote in a first-person essay, "I'm healthy and still in remission. I know that this may not be a permanent condition, but I decided months ago to declare victory and assume that I had won."

The study could have implications for leukemia, which develops in about 43,000 people every year, according to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.   Treatment for leukemia is difficult because bone marrow transplants are the best bet for survival. But transplants come with high risk of complications and difficulty matching donors.

In the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers described a 64-year-old man whose tumor cells had spread all over his blood and bone marrow.

Two weeks after the T-cell transfusion, nothing seemed to change.  But then, the man started having high fever, chills and nausea.  Tests showed a dramatic increase in T cells in his blood and massive cancer cell death. This  was life-threatening, because his body became clogged with so many dead cells, according to CNN affiliate, Philly.com.

A month after the transfusion, his blood and bone marrow showed no evidence of leukemia.

For leukemia patients, this cell trial is  on hold and not enrolling additional patients at this time, according to the University of Pennsylvania's website.  The trial will reopen in the next one or two months, but very few patients will be able to be treated.

Despite promising results, an accompanying editorial in NEJM urged caution because of side effects such as the depletion of B-cells, which are a type of white blood cells that produce antibodies to fight off infections.

“Only with the more widespread clinical use,” wrote the editorialists, Dr. Walter Urba and Dr. Dan L. Longo, “will we learn whether the results reported… reflect an authentic advance toward a clinically applicable and effective therapy or yet another promising lead that runs into a barrier that cannot be easily overcome.”

1. D. TURLEY

I rather save my daughters life by this method than have her suffer thru a bone marrow transplant. High fevers can be controlled to a point but an ANC of zero for weeks can lead to death. The less invasive way to treat a disease is the way to go...

August 11, 2011 at 13:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Robert

Did you read this article? Do you have any idea what the remission rate with "traditional" therapy is? My good you must be a "traditional" doctor on the take from the traditional therapy farms.

August 11, 2011 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
    • Robert

Sorry somehow my response went to the wrong comment.

August 11, 2011 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
    • been ther done that

The cure rates today are falsely loaded. The official death rate is under 50% over 5 years, but 75% or die; more from complications than the disease. Bone marrow rejections are the biggest culprit.
      This is great news and a wonderful breakthrough. Recombinant DNA techniques will improve and maybe in our children's lifetime this disease will be insignificant to most who have it.

Paul Allen has done wonderful things in Seattle to support a wonderful hospital, research, and leukemia patients – this fact gets little attention. Thanks Paul for your help and generosity.

August 11, 2011 at 15:50 | Report abuse |
    • treatments

D Turley, bone marrow transplant and T cell training are the same intervention except the transplant is someone else's cells and the trained T cells are autologous (from the same patient). For the patient, the difference is also lethal irradiation or chemotherapy to kill all the patient's lymphoid cells prior to transplant followed by a significant risk for transplant rejection. Remember that you are weighing 100% chance of death (untreated) with 50% chance (conventional treatment) to something lower with transplant. It is also about quality of life and what your daughter wants, not what you and your wife want. It's her cancer and her life. She ultimately gets to decide. Would you want someone else choosing for you?

August 11, 2011 at 18:09 | Report abuse |
  2. Brett

i've come across several articles about german doctors back years ago discovered that they could use the human body to fight cancer and american doctors scoffed it off. we poising our bodies and wonder why it can't fight disease.

August 11, 2011 at 13:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yi Quan

See http://www.cel-sci.com

Drugs they are working on uses the immune system to kill cancer and diseases.

August 11, 2011 at 16:31 | Report abuse |
  3. Really??

Wow! The human race never ceases to amaze me at things they are capable of achieving. This could be a phenomonal breakthrough in cancer research. Way to go to the team that developed this and praise God for all of our blessings!!

August 11, 2011 at 13:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Karlotious

Thanks science and technology not god....humans did the research and effort not a mythical being

August 11, 2011 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
    • Cmon!

Don't invoke your made up things for a great finding like this. Praise science!

August 11, 2011 at 15:22 | Report abuse |
    • Lively

Yes, yes..bravo...However there seems to be real caution in getting this in the pipeline to the people who are on the brink of dying with this disease. How about giving someone who has no hope of making it by use of the traditional treatment some hope. The only thing that can be lost is the certinty of death.

August 11, 2011 at 15:30 | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Yes praise god for his blessings.....like leukemia

August 11, 2011 at 15:45 | Report abuse |
    • InFormed

Who do we thank for allowing the cancer to begin in the first place?

August 11, 2011 at 15:45 | Report abuse |
    • Agreement

Yes, thank God for His many blessings and His hand in this new find. Without God's inspiration, man wouldn't have the ability to make discoveries like this.

August 11, 2011 at 15:59 | Report abuse |
    • sortakinda

To all of the nonbelievers: Have you heard of Pascal's Wager/Gambit? The noted mathematician said that the benefits of believing in God and finding out at death that He exists far outweigh the risks of not believing and finding out in the end, that you were wrong.

August 11, 2011 at 16:27 | Report abuse |
    • treatments

Lively, I wish it were so that more participants could be offered this new treatment so they could have hope and we could get more data points. However, our society is filled with litigous individuals who will knowingly sign informed consent forms and then sue if the slightest thing goes wrong in the next 12 months. This is why the pace of medical research is excruciatingly slow and so frustrating. Nothing is 100% safe and the only way to learn something is to try it out. I not only do medical research, I have volunteered for it because I believe we should all give back to society if we hope to ever receive anything from it. Shame on people who receive blood products and then never donate after they become healthy again.

August 11, 2011 at 18:16 | Report abuse |
    • GoGoFSM

@sortakinda

Pascal's wager is a lame concept. If I follow my own built in moral compas (take the best care of my friends and family, help others in need, and be a good person) and your "God" wont let me into heaven because I didn't pray or say "I believe" blindly, then fvck your god. Hey Hawking, save me a seat in the hot tub when you get there...

August 11, 2011 at 23:05 | Report abuse |
  4. asdads

CLL is the adult version. This isn't the one kids get (ALL).

August 11, 2011 at 13:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • acronyms

CLL is Chronic lymphoblastic leukemia. ALL is Acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Adults and children can be diagnosed with either. ALL is very progressed CLL and is usually fatal quickly.

August 11, 2011 at 18:19 | Report abuse |
    • Mike M

Actually, CLL and ALL are quite different diseases. ALL is not a progressed form of CLL. In fact, CLL is perhaps even a misnomer since it behaves as both a "leukemia" with cancer cells circulating in the blood as well as a "lymphoma" with the cancer cells forming solid tumors. This is why it is sometimes referred to chronic lymphocytic leukemia/lymphoma (CLL/L). Generally, the progressed form of CLL is a very aggressive lymphoma-like disease called "Richter's syndrome". That being said, this therapy may be useful in some forms of ALL (the CD19+ B cell types) as well as other agreesive B cell lymphomas like Mantle cell and Diffuse Large B cell lymphoma. These diseases will almost certainly be the subject of future trials with this type of therapy.

August 11, 2011 at 21:47 | Report abuse |
  5. Mike

Chalk another one up to modern medical science. I believe the score is Modern Medicine: 1,000,000; Alternative, naturopathic, homeopathy snake oil: 0...

August 11, 2011 at 13:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Bruce

As a recently diagnosed CLL victim (6 months), I have been given hope that I may still get to walk my daughter down the aisle and hold my grandchildren. I pray for swift advances in research and a chance to experience this treatment.

August 11, 2011 at 13:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bestwishes

Bruce – I want to wish you the very best and hopes for you getting to walk your daughter down the isle. Best of everything to you!!!

August 11, 2011 at 14:04 | Report abuse |
    • PrairieFires

Best to you and your family as you fight the big fight.

August 11, 2011 at 14:56 | Report abuse |
    • Kevininvancouver

Best of luck to you?

August 11, 2011 at 15:11 | Report abuse |
    • Lively

Bruce, get on the phone right now and beg to be entered in the research. Don't take no for an answer and don't wait till its too late. You owe it to yourself and your daughter.

August 11, 2011 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
    • Greg

I'm with you here Bruce... I was diagnosed in Feb 2009 and am just now starting to see lymph nodes swell in my neck. I'm afraid the "watch and wait" process may be over for me before long...

August 11, 2011 at 15:49 | Report abuse |
    • Bruce

It has been worth it to actually read posts from sane, sympathetic, caring people - in a CNN forum, of all places. Thanks for the good wishes, and Greg, hang in there. My doctor said that the CLL probably had been with me for years. It was the swollen glands in my neck during a cold last February that alerted him and brought the blood test.

If it comes to treatment, get a second opinion. On July 13 my local oncologist told me it was time for a port and three levels of chemo, and that I could forget about starting the school year teaching. I went to a Cancer Treatment Centers of America hospital in Zion, Illinois, and the doctor there did extensive testing. I now have a local monthly blood test, and am due for a return visit in January. My white blood cell count is still extremely high, but down, and next week I will be back in the classroom to start the year with my kids.

BTW this is not a commercial for CTCA. But everyone needs to get a second opinion somewhere, from someone not connected to the place of the first opinion.

August 12, 2011 at 10:29 | Report abuse |
    • Holly

I have an uncle with the disease and wrote one of the researchers this morning to see how he may volunteer. His prognosis is grim. He has been on chemo for over a year and the lumps come back within two weeks of a treatment now. He is willing to try whatever to survive. He beat Esophageal cancer about 6 or 7 years ago. I hope something can be done to help, this waiting around for nothing is too hard for anyone. Bruce I hope you get some alternatives just as I do for out loved one.

August 12, 2011 at 13:11 | Report abuse |
    • andika

Best wishes to you Bruce,
      Please check out the Silva method on mind-body connection on google. I have faith in it.....
      Take care of yourself. YOU WILL BE FINE!!!!!!!!
      I'm an 8 year breast cancer survival now at 44.
      God bless you.

August 12, 2011 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
  7. Lawrence

HOPE is alive!

August 11, 2011 at 14:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Penny

My father died 14 years ago of CLL. He was dealt a "bad deck of cards". He would be amazed but not surprised of the medical advances we have today. Keep plugging away and way to go!

August 11, 2011 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Cancer Son

My mom has been diagnosed with plasma cell leukemia, a more rare version of leukemia. On her treatment plan is a T-cell transplant. I wonder if that treatment came ouf of this research? Keep working to find the answers!

August 11, 2011 at 14:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • acronyms

Plasma cell leukemia is a B cell variety. Are you sure she isn't getting a B cell transplant or perhaps Zevalin treatment? I'm not sure if PCL expresses CD20 antigen anymore but if it does, Bexxar or Zevalin usually cures after just one dose. Look into it. It's usually used for Hodgkin's lymphoma and follicular lymphoma, both of B cell origin. It's also completely painless (except for $$$).

August 11, 2011 at 18:24 | Report abuse |
  10. Jack

I was diagnosed with CLL last November, and have completed the original chemo regimen. I am in remission, but still have
    a maintenance dose once every three months for the next two years. Having experienced the chemo, I hope that this process becomes available asap. I am grateful for what I have, and having been to the cancer center, also grateful for what I don't have.

August 11, 2011 at 14:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Marcy Darcy

This is the beginning of the zombie apocalypse

August 11, 2011 at 15:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jackal & jester

This I doubt. The cells kill not reanimate. I will be more worried when we find a way to reverse aging. That could lead to the zombies.

August 11, 2011 at 16:32 | Report abuse |
  12. Stacy

What a negative way, "serial killer cells," to describe such a wonderful thing. New term please. How about 'body defender cells?'

August 11, 2011 at 15:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shannon

I agree with Stacy. What a crazy name for something that can change the way we deal with one type of cancer. Great advances but change the name.

August 11, 2011 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
    • Lively

figure of speech for a good killer that takes out multiple bad cancer cells. I think they should rename it "Seal Team 6".

August 11, 2011 at 15:38 | Report abuse |
    • Roman

The reason for this term is because the "serial killer T cells" attacks the cancer cells by recognizing CD19 on its surface... However, CD19 is also expressed by healthy and normal B cells. Therefore the need for a term showing that they still cannot distinguish good from bad and are destined to kill everything with CD19.

August 11, 2011 at 16:16 | Report abuse |
    • Yi Quan

Leukocyte Interleukin has been around for 30 years and does the same thing. The company that invented it has it in a P3 clinical trial now in Taiwan, and it works the same. Kills cancer cells, sometimes tumor is gone, and no other treatment needed. Good drug.

August 11, 2011 at 16:24 | Report abuse |
    • Mike M

Actually, the term "serial killer" derives from the fact that one T cell appears to be killing more than one tumor cell serially (kills one and then moves onto the next one). Given the negative connotation to this term, agree it is probably a bad choice of words; however, it does describe what appears to be happening in the body.

August 11, 2011 at 21:15 | Report abuse |
  13. dutspup

wonder how long it will take before this is completely buried by big pharma companies. God forbid we dont have to use fake chemical drugs to cure something.

August 11, 2011 at 15:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lively

I agree..Big Pharma lobbyists are as powerfull, if not more that Big Oil....We need someone in Washington that will not buckle at the knees when these bullies show up on the steps of the Capitol in the name of the All mighty dollar.

August 11, 2011 at 15:44 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Please explain how big Pharma is supposed to "bury" this. Do you think they're gonna close down U Penn's cancer center or something? You act like they're omnipotent, or you seem to believe any physician or scientist can simply be paid off. Have some faith in the medical community. For the most part, they're trying to do right by the patients.

August 11, 2011 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
    • JW

I'm sure they can make it really expensive, jack up our insurance premiums to cover it, and even find a way to tell people they need to come back for recurring treatment on a regular basis.

August 11, 2011 at 16:35 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

@JW
      Please explain how pharmaceutical companies will force physicians to charge higher prices for treatments they administer. Also, how exactly are they supposed to tell insurance companies to jack up your premiums. Do you think the insurance companies are employed by big Pharma or something? Your arguments don't make any sense.

August 11, 2011 at 16:44 | Report abuse |
    • Aims

Big pharma is irrelevant to this article. This is NOT a drug that can or will be manufactured and sold. This treatment is made from a patient's own cells. Obtained at the treatment facility (i.e. UPENN) and engineered in the research lab there before they are reinfused. Developed by physicians and scientist in a lab. NOT by scientists at a pharmaceutical company.

A pharma company has no feasible way of burying something like this.

August 11, 2011 at 17:31 | Report abuse |
  14. High five

They left out the part about using HIV (inactivated form, ...hopefully) to transform the white blood cells into "serial killers".

"Mr. Johnson, the good news is we cured your leukemia. Unfortunately you now have AIDS." Haha. Ok, ok, I know that wouldn't happen. It it really interesting that after all the destruction it has caused, HIV might play a role in curing at least 1 type of cancer (maybe more ??).

August 11, 2011 at 15:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lively

where is the humor in that?

August 11, 2011 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
    • High five

Bend over and I will show you. Bada bing!

August 11, 2011 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
    • lentiviral vector

They used a lentiviral vector to knock the protein sequence into the cells so the cells would express the protein that recognizes the cancer cells. There's no HIV involved at all, just a tiny portion of DNA used to get the protein sequence in. It was "empty", no HIV code whatsoever. It wasn't in the news because so many uneducated people see "HIV--" and they don't even read the words next to it. The HIV DNA vector was a Trojan horse that was empty until filled with the anti-cancer protein DNA.

August 11, 2011 at 18:49 | Report abuse |
    • Mike M

Actually, there is of portion of HIV DNA present within the T cells (something called the long terminal repeats [LTRs] and the initial portion of the gag protein of HIV). This is essential to the ability of these vectors to insert themselves into the DNA of the T cell and deliver the gene in the long term. That being said, there are several safety features (multilayered in fact) built into the gene therapy "vector" used in these patients that limits their ability to form a new recombinant virus or recombine with normal HIV.

August 11, 2011 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
  15. Nik

This is great!

August 11, 2011 at 15:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Denny H

I have Mantle Cell Leukemia..this is a more agressive type than the CLL. I am VERY excited about this break through...If they want me to be a test patient when the time is right per my Doctor I am willing. I now have more hope than I did 3 days ago. WONDERFUL!

August 11, 2011 at 15:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. John Tweedale

Isn't this the same exact thing that created all those vampire/zombie things in I Am Legend with Will Smith? lol

August 11, 2011 at 15:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeremy

Lmao were doomed

August 11, 2011 at 15:50 | Report abuse |
    • THisGuyHere

That is exactly what I thought of when I saw the story yesterday.

August 11, 2011 at 15:53 | Report abuse |
  18. freek52001

God Bless the scientist working so desperately to find a cure...

August 11, 2011 at 15:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Petercha

Amen to that.

August 11, 2011 at 16:58 | Report abuse |
  19. Sonya

My mother has CLL. Diagnosed in 1996 at age 49. She is also a breast cancer survivor. Her chances of getting another form of cancer are very high. It would be amazing if this form of treatment works, and she is able to receive it. The scary thing is the unknown. What happens down the road after treatment, say in 2, 5 or 10 years? I sure hope this continues to prove that it works!

August 11, 2011 at 15:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Kim K

What ever happened to the cancer therapy where they were going to use nano particles and far infrared heat to detroy cancer cells? I even heard them speak about this once on CNN probably over a year ago now, and I read about it a few years before that. Why are we not implementing that yet? I think it sounds a bit safer then this therapy. I think B cells are too important to kill off if that is what the body uses to fight infection because infections are widespead and can be deadly.

August 11, 2011 at 16:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • nano-value

Nanoparticles are the biggest scam to have hit the scientific community in the last 10 years. The ones you are speaking of are gold nanoparticles that absorb NIR light and emit heat. Steering nanoparticles to the right places has been extremely difficult in the body and NIR light doesn't penetrate more than about 2 mm through flesh and that's hairless white flesh. Good idea, bad design. Other treatments for breast cancer have done extremely well, however.

August 11, 2011 at 18:33 | Report abuse |
    • Mike M

You are absolutely correct. B cells are an unintended casualty of this therapy, and they are important to controlling infections. For some patients with no other treatments available for their CLL or other B cell leukemia, the loss of normal B cells might be a reasonable tradeoff. While we might not be able to restore all of the functions of normal B cells, patients with no B cells can receive something called intravenous immunoglobulin (IV Ig). IVIg is a mixture of antibodies (the thing that B cells make) collected from lots of different people and pooled together. Because IV Ig is a mixture of antibodies from lots of people who have immunity to many different types of infections, IV Ig helps to protect individuals without B cells from these infections. Not perfect, but neither is current chemotherapy.

August 11, 2011 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
  21. suesue

I hope this leads to promising super-cures!

August 11, 2011 at 16:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Yi Quan

Leukocyte Interleukin has been around for 30 years and does the same thing. The company that invented it has it in a P3 clinical trial now in Taiwan, and it works the same. Kills cancer cells, sometimes tumor is gone, and no other treatment needed. I see it every day. Good drug. See Clinical Trial website.

August 11, 2011 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jane Doe

My mother was diagnosed with colon cancer. Her brother had died about ten years earlier from colon cancer. Mom was operated on and part of her colon removed. The cancer had spread, and chemo was started immediately. She ended up in ICU after a second round of chemo. Her physician said she would die without chemo ... we knew a third round of chemo would kill her before the cancer. When she was released from the hospital we turned to natural medicine and gave her noni juice every morning on an empty stomach. The quality of the juice determines whether or not it is effective. It's been about six years and she is alive and without cancer. I cannot say what cured Mom of colon cancer, but I can say that her phyisician has since said that she should not be alive today.

August 11, 2011 at 16:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Kim K

From what I've read so far, I think that the far infrared/nano particle is the most promising cancer therapy coming from modern medicine.

August 11, 2011 at 16:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Aims

Actually, I think most people working in oncology (research) would agree that the biggest thing right now is immunotherapy, which is what this article is about. Of course, that depends significantly on the type of cancer. But immunotherapy is being studied in everything from blood cancers (like CLL) to skin cancers.

August 11, 2011 at 17:40 | Report abuse |
  25. JW

Great, fine and dandy, until we create/reprogram something that doesn't stop . . . not even with one victim . . .

August 11, 2011 at 16:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Sumer Kolcak

We're Looking For Something That Can Target George W. Bush, Do You Guys Got Anything Like That In The Nano Quantum World ?

August 11, 2011 at 16:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Petercha

Hate much, Sumer?

August 11, 2011 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
  27. Petercha

Wow, it would be way cool if they could mitigate or entirely eliminate those side effects and then use this treatment to cure lots of leukemia patients! Here's hoping!

August 11, 2011 at 16:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • direct effects

The fever and tumor lysis syndrome are not side-effects at all. They are the direct result of the tumor dying. When someone's tumor burden is high enough and suddenly it's just dying off, all that dead tissue mounts an immune response to clean it up. The fever is a very good thing even though it is uncomfortable and requires management.

August 11, 2011 at 18:40 | Report abuse |
  28. Jyang

I saw this on the news last night. They did leave out the HIV part, which makes me wonder if the HIV cells are controlled. If they are not, how can they be sure that this is not a temporary fix of one problem which will lead to a bigger problem?

August 11, 2011 at 17:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. CureAll

Cannabis Oil also uses the endo-canniboid immune system to kill cancer, but Big Pharma stopped it!!!!!! Its all natural and cures the body, check out Run from the Cure by Rick Simpson on youtube!!!

August 11, 2011 at 18:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. KN

Why isnt this being shown on the main stage? By all means give some exposure to the great things we do. Enough of congress already. This is awesome news!!!! I cant wait to see how well this sustains. With any hopes this is just a sample of what's to come.

I aggree with someones post of trias for terminal patients. I bet they would sign-up for a chance to get treated if it meant any slight chance of life.

August 11, 2011 at 20:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Magnetic Nanoparticles Fry Tumors

August 11, 2011 at 23:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Rezlee

Years ago (15) I had the idea of taking a cancer patients cancer cells and implanting them (or infusing) them with a virus. A virus that the patient had already been exposed to, a virus that the patients own immune system would recognize and target/kill. The body would recognize the virus and attack it as a healthy immune system should. Then, since the virus had been altered/infused with the cancer cell, the body would then think the cancer cell itself was a form of the virus. Thus, the immune system would then go and kill the cancer cells. Sounds similar to what is being done here. I wish there was a place for medical ideas (by laymen like myself) to be shared and thought about. I have other ideas – anyone know where one can share?

August 11, 2011 at 23:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Reza

Tutti questi mcemonti per uno sparatutto mah! chi ci gioca da sempre non lo comprer mai perch ne ha visto di pi belli, chi ha la wii e non ha mai giocato con gli FPS o si disfatto (come me) di tutti i sistemi videoludici di casa lo comprer per colmare la lacuna..personalmente degli FPS ne ho lo scroto pieno e non lo comprer , ma comprendo comunque chi lo far !..poi son tutti bravi a fare gli ingegneri informatici .;)

April 9, 2012 at 04:22 | Report abuse |
  33. Mike Fitzgerald

Both my wife and our Infant daughter are battling 2 different types of caner at the same time. I am excited to hear about ANY progress in the treatment of ANY cancer. I basically live at Children's Hospital Boston and we are hoping that maybe this can lead to a cure for Neuroblastoma (the cancer my 1 year old has) and Hodgkin's Lymphoma (the cancer my wife has) Please visit our blog to read what it is like taking care of a baby with cancer when you have cancer yourself. newmomnewcancer.blogspot.com

August 12, 2011 at 07:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Anthony

This just sounds like a playing around of Dr. Burzynski's work, which by the way is much safer than this sounds...

August 12, 2011 at 12:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. yucassas

My husband has CLL. Diagnosed in 2008, next week he start chemo treatment (fludarabine and rituxan). He is afraid. Anyone having experience about this chemo treatment, please tell us.

August 14, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. bc

Comment from another internet article suggest this could, possibly, lead to a cure for all types of cancers. Protein bound to the T-cell, parks it right next to the cancer cell, says see there, attack. Think I remember reading T-cells were blind to cancer before, but apparently protein discovery makes that different. I think it is a really great discovery.

August 14, 2011 at 11:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Raman

These are good news like me having chronic Leukamia since my white bolld count remained at this time 147 point. If this therapy available when in USA. Please let me know. thanks.

August 15, 2011 at 13:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Jack Be Humble

The sooner they get this stuff into trials, the better. They can't get a complete picture of the efficacy without large numbers of case studies, and they need to develop mitigation therapies for the side effects.

August 16, 2011 at 18:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. tryecrot

August 26, 2011 at 21:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Tumor registrar

Cancer can be a malignant growth in the melanocytes. Development of the child tissues within skin and the eyes. They're responsible for skin color of an individual …tumors

January 30, 2012 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. poo

You recognize thus considerably in relation to this matter, made me individually consider it from a lot of various angles. Its like women and men are not fascinated until it is one thing to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your own stuffs excellent. All the time deal with it up!

December 24, 2012 at 07:21 | Report abuse | Reply