home
RSS
Early morning smokers have higher cancer risk
August 8th, 2011

Early morning smokers have higher cancer risk

Smokers who indulge in their first cigarette shortly after waking up have an increased risk of developing lung and head and neck cancers, according to two new studies published in Cancer, a journal of the American Cancer Society. The findings may help identify smokers who have a greater risk of developing cancer. These smokers could then be more urgently targeted for smoking cessation programs.

The first studies to show a link between cigarette smoking and cancer were published back in the 1950s, but it wasn’t until 1980 that nicotine dependence was recognized by the American Psychiatric Association as a psychological and physiological problem. The new studies out of Penn State College of Medicine look at nicotine dependence, which in part can be determined by the amount of time elapsed before a smoker lights up his or her first cigarette after waking up in the morning.

“These smokers have higher levels of nicotine and possibly other tobacco toxins in their body, and they may be more addicted than smokers who refrain from smoking for a half hour or more,” says Joshua Muscat of the Penn State College of Medicine, who led the investigation.

Subjects who smoked their first cigarette between 31 and 60 minutes after waking up were more than 30% more likely to develop lung cancer; the odds increased to nearly 80% for those who smoked in their first half-hour awake. For head and neck cancers, subjects were more than 40% more likely if they indulged in the 31-60 minute window, and nearly 60% more likely for those who smoked in their first half-hour awake.

“One of the things we use to measure dependence is called the Heavyness of Smoking Index, which includes two questions,” says Dr. Richard D. Hurt, the director of the Mayo Clinic’s Nicotine Dependence Center, who is not affiliated with the new studies. “How much do you smoke, and how long after you arise do you have your first cigarette?”

Hurt also points out that waiting a little longer before indulging in a first cigarette of the day would mean fewer total cigarettes in a day. “The more dependent are more likely to be heavier smokers,” he says. “But you also have to look at how aggressively these people are smoking. Those who inhale deeper, hold longer, and smoke their cigarettes all the way to the end are receiving more of the harmful constituents of that cigarette.” This makes them more likely to develop cancer than those who smoke less aggressively.

The half-life of nicotine is relatively short – only two hours – so after six or eight hours of sleep, your body has gotten rid of nearly all of the nicotine you’ve inhaled the day before. There’s very little left in the body in the morning and the receptors in the brain are crying out for more nicotine. Those who are the most dependent need that cigarette earlier, and often smoke more cigarettes throughout the day, more intensely.

The takeaway here is about what you’d expect. “Stop smoking as soon as you can,” says  Hurt. “We have more things to offer now than ever before. [You] can go to a physician or call a telephone quit line. We combine behavioral counseling with medications, which can double, triple, or even quadruple your chances of successfully quitting.”

1. Arnold Paul

I am Arnold Paul, I was diagnosed with Lungs Cancer and was told by the Doctor that the cancer was in the last stage.

My Doctor told me i have few months to leave, but he told me about the Hemp Oil and said it's going to do a lot in saving my life from this terrible disease, He introduce me to Rick Simpson and said he would be able to get me the Hemp oil wherever I need it since he is the

founder of hemp oil.

I contacted him and explain it to his understanding and he delivered the oil to me in UK, after three Month of taking this Treatment there has been rapid improvement in my life, I am very overwhelmed and loss for words. I want to shout it out to world that am cured from cancer. I can't believe I'm able to jump and move around again. Thank you lord for your natural marijuana hemp oil and Rick Simpson

who you sent and healed me, am very grateful Sir, God will continue to bless you for your good work Sir. I'm so happy am still much alive and for those who are battling from cancer, I never thought i will see this day again don't think life is

gone because your doc said so, be strong, courageous and fight it. There is a cure. Rick Simpson email is ricksimpsoncannabisoil_phoenix@outlook.com or give him a call +447031996738

Thank you Sir, I will always be grateful for your good work and services rendered..

December 23, 2013 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jasmine

Many thanks for being the mentor on this niche. We enjoyed the write-up greatly and most of all appreciated how you actually handled the issues I regarded as being controversial. That you are always quite kind towards readers really like me and assist me to in my life. Thank you. Palm Beach Gardens

December 24, 2013 at 14:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. andrew pana

My name is Andrew Pana of California. In May. of 2012 my wife was diagnosed with terminal cancer at the age of 38. The doctors could give her no hope. She did have chemo and radiation, the doctors thought that could prolong her life for a little while. In September of 2013 she done surgery, that's when they found out that the cancer had spread to her lymp nodes in her left hip area and couldn't get it all with the surgery. Now it looked like 2-4 months is all she would live. It was a very aggressive form of colorectal cancer.

While searching through the internet, my wife and I found so many testimonies on Rick Simpson healing oil, The Rick Simpson hemp oil for "health" is medicine. So i ordered the miracle oil for my wife and she started taking the hemp oil medicine every day. "GOD'S NATURAL MEDICINE".

It was two years before the doctors finally gave me a good report concerning my wife's condition. It was certainly not an overnight miracle. glory be Jesus and the great man Rick Simpson who God himself sent to help us in our lost time (health) Mr. Simpson, God will continue to be blessing you all the day of your life Sir!

He revealed to me that all hope are not gone concerning my wife health So I, must keep my eyes focused on Him and His Medicine and not on the storm of cancer all around us (the doctors reports, test results, the pain, what other people said). He is so faithful to His Promises! There were so many different things that happened during this time and afterwards but this is the story in brief. I give Jesus my Lord all the glory and praise to Rick Simpson the founder of hemp oil for healing my wife's stage 4 cancer.

A special thanks to you Sir, brothers, sisters help me thank this man of truth and courage because he is my hero. You can reach him with this information ( ricksimpsoncannabisoil_phoenixtears@outlook.com or ricksimpsoncannabisoil_phoenix@outlook.com maybe call him at +447031996738 ) you brought my joy back to life not just only that you save my world with your miracle inspiration, you are inspired Sir. My wife is now cancer free because of you( AM GRATEFUL SIR.)

January 5, 2014 at 15:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Harriet Beecher

I am Harriet Beecher, I live in San Francisco USA, I want to say a big thank you to Dr. Rick Simpson for saving my son’s life with his miracle oil on the 10th of January 2014 from his terrible brain tumor.

My son Ben was diagnosed of brain tumor last year October 5th 2013, the doctor told me there was nothing that could be done for my son and I was so scared to lose him because he is the only one I got, I lost his dad May 2011 and I was not ready to lose my only son. My co-worker told me about Dr. Rick Simpson cannabis oil and how it helped her dad so I collected his contact ricksimpsoncannabisoil_phoenix@outlook.com and wrote him, purchase the oil and used it on my son, last week we went for checkup and the doctor who told me that my son had few months to live confirmed that my son no longer has brain tumor.
    I am so over whelmed and full of joy, I feel like shouting to the whole world, I just got my joy back. Am so grateful Sir, thank you so much. God will bless you Sir.

February 7, 2014 at 15:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Greg Lucas

Am greg lucasi reside in usa, my wife was suffering from Breast Cancer and the doctor told me that there was nothing that he could do to save my beloved wife. Then a friend told me about the Rick Simpson hemp oil that can cure cancer, i told him that my wife’s breast cancer was in the last stage that i don’t think the hemp oil would cure it and he persuaded me to try it, for the love of my wife, i decided to give it a try.
    I did some research and i found a doctor who helped me with the cannabis oil to cure my wife’s breast cancer and he assured me that after 4 months the cancer would be gone.ricksimpsonoilcurecancer@gmail.com
    I bought it and she used it,it worked exactly as the doctor prescribed it. Thanks to doctor Thomas for taking away sorrow in my life. can you all imagine, that my wife have a 6 years old daughter and a 3 years old son, what would i have done.. God will bless Rick Simpson and Dr. RICK for helping me with cannabis oil and for his support and care.
    ricksimpsonoilcurecancer@gmail.com what can i say unto my LORD, all i have to say is THANK YOU LORD.

May 3, 2014 at 10:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. erimartins58

This is so great am alive to testify the good work of hemp oil and its miracle healing.

In April 10th 2012 i was diagnosed of breast cancer and bone cancer when the doctor told me it was already too late for me, that i have only ten months on earth to live. I shared tears and all hope was gone thinking that i will just sleep and go just like that.

My mom came to visit me in Serbia two months later and bought me some hemp oil product saying that it works well on cancer, ever since she told me about the benefits and encourage me to use the medication. I have been on treatment for the past 4 months now which was the required treatment plan for me.
    Last week, I went to hospital to do my test and to God be the glory my cancer was not found there anymore. I have been cured with Rick Simpson hemp oil which my mother had bought for me.

My family in forever grateful to Rick Simpson Cannabis Oil.

Last week my mom gave me his email and phone number which i contacted him in person and thank him for the life saving. Below information.

ricksimpsoncannabisoil_phoenix@outlook.com

ricksimpsoncannabisoil_phoenixtears@outlook.com
    +447024078253

June 15, 2014 at 03:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Tracy

My name is Mrs Tracy Brown from Canada,I never believe My husband will see 2014 It is with pleasure that i thank Rick Simpson for saving my dying husband with his cannabis oil.
    We already lost hope for a better life when the report came that my husband cannot go for more Chemo anymore. But after so many research online, I gained a lot about the cannabis oil that i bought from the Rick Simpson whose contact I got online on reading a testimony about his past works and glory, The medication was delivered to me within 24 hours by the UPS delivery service after procurement. My husband has completed his treatment, unquenchable joy to all as my husband is cured of his stage 4 lungs cancer within 90 days of treatment. Thanks to all, today i acknowledge the greatness of cannabis oil and to those that wish to purchase the medication contact Rick Simpson at: rickcancercure@gmail.com for help.
    Cannabis Oil is the a medication for cancerous disease.

June 27, 2014 at 04:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. wandy

You are welcome to my herbal home of cure , a world of natural herbs and roots for cure, for all kind of illness, and diseases
    I am Dr.ODAFEN HAKIM, a traditional and a herbal doctor.
    I use traditioal herbal medicines as primary ( cannabis oil, and others herbal collection ) as natural treatment for HIV/AIDS and for HIV-related, and CANCER problems including
    dermatological disorders, nausea, depression, insomnia, and weakness. and many others illness
    i we assure you my child , you we be cured and free from this disease
    if you are ready and willing to let go, because god is the greatest
    healer, and he has used my to accomplish that be using the roots and
    herbs around my world to save humans races

All you need to do for me to help you is to provide me with the necessary information of your self so that I can know what to do and how to get cure for you....
    BELOW ARE THE INFORMATION'S NEEDED
    Your full name
    Your photo
    You country
    Your age
    Your sex
    Your occupation
    Your mobile number
    Your kind of Illness
    When did you contact the sickness
    TO ENABLE ME FILL YOUR INFORMATION ON MY PATIENT ENTRY REGISTER

With this necessary information of yourself, I can provide solution concerning your health problems if I am to help you or not!
    So my child, You are to give me the necessary Information of your
    self now, i we like you to do this with no delay.

NOTE: HEALTH IS LIFE, SO HERBS LIFE AS WELL