home
RSS
Tylenol maker sets new, lower doses
July 28th, 2011

Tylenol maker sets new, lower doses

The manufacturer of Tylenol announced new, lower dosing instructions for the painkiller on Thursday in an effort to reduce accidental overdose from acetaminophen, the product's active ingredient.

McNeil Consumer Healthcare, a division of Johnson & Johnson, is recommending the maximum dosage for extra strength Tylenol be lowered to six pills - or a total of 3,000 milligrams (mg) a day, down from eight pills or 4,000 mg which is the current maximum daily dose.

"Acetaminophen is safe when used as directed," said Dr. Edwin Kuffner, vice president of OTC Medical Affairs and Clinical Research at McNeil Consumer Healthcare. "But, when too much is taken, it (overdosing) can cause liver damage."

According to McNeil, acetaminophen is in more than 600 over-the-counter  and prescription medications including common pain relievers and fever reducers like NyQuil, Sudafed and Percocet. The company hopes the new label revisions will help consumers use the drug appropriately.

"Some people accidentally exceed the recommended dose when taking multiple products at the same time, often without realizing they contain acetaminophen or by not reading and following the dosing instructions," Kuffner said. "McNeil is revising its labels for products containing acetaminophen in an attempt to decrease the likelihood of accidental overdosing in those instances."

The new labels will appear on extra-strength Tylenol products starting in the fall. The company also plans to lower the maximum daily dose on regular strength Tylenol and other adult products containing acetaminophen starting in 2012. McNeil says it is working with other acetaminophen manufacturers to make sure its products have similar instructions.

In January, in an effort to reduce the risk of liver damage, the Food and Drug Administration asked companies that make prescription products with acetaminophen to limit the amount of the drug to 325 mg per pill and place a boxed warning on all packaging.

The FDA knew of McNeil's plan and said the change falls within the draft plan for acetaminophen, said  agency spokeswoman Sandy Walsh. "We have stated in many public forums that lowering the maximum daily dose of acetaminophen is a step that will facilitate the safest use of this important medicine."

Acetaminophen is one of the most widely used painkillers in the country. McNeil says more than 50 million Americans use the drug on a weekly basis. According to the National Institutes of Health, symptoms of overdose include nausea, vomiting, extreme tiredness, sweating, loss of appetite, unusual bleeding or bruising, yellowing of the skin or eyes and stomach pain.

1. Deb

Acetaminophen is the only pain medication I can take now that Darvocet has been removed from the market. Now they want to make me take less of it. I am a chronic pain sufferer. I know how to take medications and I do not take any other medication containing acetaminophen. If they screw up Arthritis Strength Tylenol I can't imagine how I will get through the day.

July 28, 2011 at 18:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Michelle

Deb, as another person with a chronic condition that causes a lot of pain, I understand why this would frustrate you. So here's what to do:

Look at the label of the tylenol product you're taking now. Look at how many MILLIGRAMS of acetaminophen you're taking at a time. And then, when the new packaging and labels come out, just continue to take the same DOSE. The label on the box doesn't control you. It's a warning of the risks, and you have to decide what risks are worth taking. That's all.

July 28, 2011 at 20:15 | Report abuse |
    • Pain go away

You didn't say what the pain is from but have you ever tried acupuncture? Or, going to a chiropractor? If you haven't it is worth a try.

July 28, 2011 at 20:52 | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

They're not making you change what you take, they're just changing the recommendation. Relax.

July 29, 2011 at 08:21 | Report abuse |
    • Skeptic

You could do what Pain Go Away recommends, or you could jump up and down in circles believing it will help and it would do you just as much good.

July 29, 2011 at 08:28 | Report abuse |
    • jimmymax

And does anyone think that when they lower the dose per pill to 325mg, that the pricing will be adjusted accordingly? NOT BLOODY LIKELY! BTW, I'm currently buying bottles that contain 650mg per pill, and they're starting to resemble bars of soap.

July 29, 2011 at 08:41 | Report abuse |
    • LetsFixIT

Relentlessly contact your State Reps, Senators, Governor, others seeking legalization of marijuama. I too have been a chronic pain suffer due to multi[ple severe traumatic injuries and joint damage/s. "Ethical" Rx's (Naproxin, Celebrex, Vioxx) EACH have sent me to the ER (with 3 day admission) due to bleeding or heart complications!! Even aspron and tylenol taken in an on-going regimine are dangerous!! Best wishes!! IFeelYourPain!

July 29, 2011 at 09:15 | Report abuse |
    • Juls

Might I suggest smoking a joint? I bet your pain would be reduced, drastically.

July 29, 2011 at 09:23 | Report abuse |
    • Neal

All these "miracle drugs" are poison regardless of dosage. Pain is our body trying to clean up. Clean up from all the junk we have put it, including pain killers. That is why we keep taking them because they are only temporary and they slow the healing process and add more to our body that we have to clear our later if we are going to be healthy. Pain must be gone through to heal. Solution? Go paleo diet and over time pain will diminish and then go away. Good Luck.

July 29, 2011 at 09:53 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Neal, you are a clueless idiot. Pain is NOT the body "cleaning up", it's an indication of damage.
      Arthritis is either worn out joints or an auto-immune problem, where the body attacks its own joints.
      Diet won't help either. Period.
      APAP (Tylenol) is an anti-inflammatory. As is ibuprofen, naproxen and others. They attempt to reduce inflammation, which reduces pain.

For the original poster, you have to decide, do you like gaving a liver? Tylenol is HORRIBLE on the liver. I find it shocking that your physician didn't replace the darvocet with another narcotic, but instead abandoned you to pain. My wife was switched from darvocet to hydrocodone for her pain.

July 29, 2011 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • Andrea M

Come to Colorado! Your condition is one that is accepted for an MMJ card and the pain is usually helped a lot by medical marijuana. It's also exponentially less harmful for your liver.

July 29, 2011 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • Neal

Hi Wzrd1. I don't feel clueless. Perhaps it's the lack of drugs making me clueless. Inflammation is the result of junk food and other non natural things we place in our temples. Our body does not attack itself. Why would it do that? More medical propaganda. To sell you more drugs. Waving your wand won't cure pain and neither will drugs. Here is what will. Eat foods high in natural fat like butter, coconut oil and lard. Eat moderate protein in eggs, grass fed meats and reduce and then eliminate high carb foods and those that are processed. If you study what your wife eats you will see she doesn't eat these and she has inflammation. It does take some time depending on her age and health and it will work. Adding more drugs will ease the pain and not make her healthy. Good Luck again.

July 29, 2011 at 12:10 | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Neal,
      As a current medical student, it is obvious you have no idea how the body (or as to you refer to it as temple) works. The body does attack itself in autoimmune diseases. Eating right is a healthy habit but is not the cure to chronic pain. Also, staring at you wife for signs of inflammation is ridiculous. Before you continue to rant on about something you have no idea about, pick up a textbook and research what you preach. May I recommend something on basic injury and why inflammation occurs?

July 29, 2011 at 12:27 | Report abuse |
    • CJ

What you need is a joint and a vegetable platter for the munchies.

I dont smoke but a friend that had suffered from chronic pain for years was recommended it off the record as there is no medical pot in this state. He said he hasn't been able to sleep so well in close to 10 years. /shrug

July 29, 2011 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • mike

See the thing is Elizabeth...people like Neal will spout their pseudoscience BS and people will believe him over most peer reviewed scientific data.

July 29, 2011 at 22:15 | Report abuse |
    • Sam

Tylenol is extremely toxic to the liver at high doses. The changes in dosing are not the company looking for profit; they reflect the company trying to protect patients.

July 30, 2011 at 13:07 | Report abuse |
    • ANTIBULLY

advil in an 800mg dose dosent help you?

I used to get 800mg motrin by script back in the 80's

I take 4 and chew 2 of them for fast release

July 30, 2011 at 21:01 | Report abuse |
    • Lindsey

Deb – have you tried any of the diets for RA? I have had miraculous results from completely cutting gluten from my diet (very strictly) and have the pain I used to feel if I ever do eat it.

July 31, 2011 at 00:03 | Report abuse |
    • Wolf

I guarantee you will be in much more pain if your liver stops functioning.

August 1, 2011 at 12:59 | Report abuse |
    • diazmom

To ANTIBULLY...sorry, but ibuprofen in high doses may not hurt your liver IT WILL do serious damage to your kidneys. So you may have a functioning liver, but you'll be hooked up to dialysis 3 times a week for the rest of a miserable life unless a kidney can be found for you (that's a BIG if too).
      Deb...my recommendation to you would be to find and frequent a respected pain management specialist. Your doctor was giving you a narcotic (Darvocet) that has been proven time and again to work no better than acetaminophen alone. Not a smart choice = either not a smart physician or a lazy one! Pain management can assist you with pain control using a variety of modalities until a good combination that works for you is found. Long-term use of ANY medication is never recommended – that's why the pain specialists see you often, so they can switch up your regimine according to your particular pain and tolerance. Best of luck!

August 1, 2011 at 15:33 | Report abuse |
    • Darrell

Neal....don't spread your ignorance please.

August 1, 2011 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
  2. mstrmcds

So, since some people are too dumb? distracted? to read medication lables the maximum dose of an important pain reliever is being lowered?! My husband is a pharmacist and on his recommendation, we don't have ANY combination cold/flu remedies in the house. We have pain/fever medicine, a decongestant, antihistamine in separate products. If you have a cough and fever, medicate separately for those. Acetaminophen is my main pain reliever for arthritis and joint injuries because I'm allergic to NSAIDs and I don't ask for narcotics if I can help it because I don't want to be the "crazy woman on a pain contract." I actually track how much acetamiophen I take each day. I'm sticking with the 4 gram max until they tell me that's dangerous for a healthy adult.

July 28, 2011 at 19:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leo

Nice for you that you've got a pharmacist for a hubby. I happen to be a biologist married to a medical technologist, and I can read a label, too. But for all the people walking around with their knuckles dragging in the dirt, who can't even spell "milligrams," never mind figure out out how many to take, the manufacturer is trying to prevent them from inflicting unintentional permanent liver damage on themselves.

So calm down, stop having a hissy fit, let your pharmacist husband continue to advise your family on proper pain medication dosing, take your Tylenol, and be happy that maybe a few of the people in this country without basic reasoning skills might avoid liver damage.

July 28, 2011 at 20:23 | Report abuse |
    • Shawn

Yeah. Might want to discuss that with your liver at some point.

July 29, 2011 at 08:40 | Report abuse |
    • jimmymax

Well aren't you special? That's all we need to do then, is have a spouse that happens to be a pharmacist. Yes lady, people do get distracted, especially from the various illnesses that are being treated. Maybe you and some of these other health professionals need to have MS yourselves, and then maybe you'll understand how people get "distracted".

July 29, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse |
    • mstrmcds

I know a couple of people who suffer from MS. It's a horrible disease and I wouldn't wish that kind of suffering on anyone.

I still think that the individual needs to be responsible and know what they are taking and how much. Doctors and other health profesionals need to educate patients. Tylenol is safe and effective when taken as directed. You can overdose on any medication.

When my mother was suffering with dementia, our family made sure she took her meds correctly, not the pharmaceutical company or the FDA.

July 30, 2011 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
  3. Karl

Our dr. advised the whole family to stop using acetaminophen due to its links to asthma, so we threw away what we had in the medicine cabinet and no longer buy it.

July 28, 2011 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jimmymax

My wife has asthma and takes a lot of acetaminophen with no negative effect.

July 29, 2011 at 08:45 | Report abuse |
    • NC

You need to find a new doctor. Acetaminophen is not linked to asthma. It is the only safe thing to take if you have asthma. Any doctor should know this. Aspirin is linked to asthma. It is not safe to take if you have asthma, you will probably end up in the ER if you take aspirin and have asthma.

July 29, 2011 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

NC has a valid point. Get a new doctor. Preferably one with a medical degree, as any doctor who would say that tylenol is linked to ANY respiratory problem isn't a medical professional, more like a witch doctor!
      No, I take that back. A witch doctor would be BETTER than the idiot you are quoting!

July 29, 2011 at 11:31 | Report abuse |
    • foolish

I believe you have mistaken it for aspirin. Aspirin or other NSAIDs can worsen asthma in certain people only. Tylenol has no correlation.

July 29, 2011 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
  4. Beer3

No drugs are safe except for marijuana

July 28, 2011 at 20:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • petrus

I had you until the word 'except'. Keep kidding yourself.

July 28, 2011 at 20:12 | Report abuse |
    • usamare

Beer3 has a point, it's considered medically impossible to overdose on MJ, but 16 grams of acetaminophen = death.

July 28, 2011 at 20:28 | Report abuse |
    • jimmymax

Addicts always "have a point" when it comes to defending the drug they can longer live without. I find it amusing.

July 29, 2011 at 08:47 | Report abuse |
    • EspyLaCopa

Actually, when I worked for High Times magazine in the 80s, we once figured out that an overdose of marijuana would be about 1200 joints (or the amount of THC in 1200). But it would, of course, be impossible to smoke that much at once. You'd die of eating too many potato chips first.

July 29, 2011 at 09:48 | Report abuse |
    • average joe

People love to say if a person uses a particular drug their point in defense is no longer valid. It is a crutch in debate which I find amusing because it is a very weak position. I find it amusing every time I see it used.

July 29, 2011 at 10:01 | Report abuse |
    • Rob

No drugs are "safe". Your body is not supposed to have drugs in it at all. All drugs mess around with how your body works, it's just that some are more potent and more dangerous than others. Just because you can't kill yourself with a certain dose doesn't mean it's not doing damage. Marijuana has been shown in studies to increase the risk of schizophrenia and other mental illness.

Drugs are only to be used when they are absolutely neccessary to deal with an ailment, not to "have a good time". There's plenty of stuff in the world to enjoy without having to mess around with my body, thank you very much.

July 29, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Rob, the schizophrenia link is weak at best and there has been a great deal of discussion regarding possible sub-clinical cases self-medicating with marijuana.
      That said, I find the marijuana as a treatment crowd hilarious, as they seem to think it's a panacea. There are a limited range of uses for marijuana, IF they ever get around to re-legalizing it for medical usage (it's STILL federally illegal).

Rob, my recreational drug of choice is ibuprofen. Nothing is more recreational than being able to move!

July 29, 2011 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
  5. rhythmdoc

"Doctors put drugs of which they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all."
    — Voltaire

July 28, 2011 at 20:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leo

Good thing we've come a long way in a few HUNDRED YEARS since Voltaire made that quote. He was born in 1694, over a hundred years before germ theory of disease. Hundreds of years before the x-ray, never mind the MRI. Hundreds of years before the discovery of DNA.

I think it's safe to say that we can put aside Voltaire's outdated quote (which was valid at the time) and take a more balanced look at modern medicine. Ya know, join the 21st century, where we've launched space vessels to other planets, have split the atom, have mapped the entire human genome, and can talk to people on the opposite side of the planet with the push of a button.

July 28, 2011 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

We may be way ahead of Voltaire, but we're way behind Star Trek.

July 29, 2011 at 08:32 | Report abuse |
    • Leo

Sure, we're way behind Star Trek, but we're closer to Star Trek than to Voltaire. At this point, we've got hyposprays, early versions of the tricorder (they're actively working on it), imaging systems that let us see incredible detail in injuries, a "cell sprayer gun" that can heal second and third-degree burns in days, and more. No, we can't cure kidney failure with a pill (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home), but we're pretty close to growing a new kidney from the patient's own cells with bioengineering technology. We have robotically-assisted surgical techniques that I think even Dr. McCoy would approve. Our knowledge is increasing daily. I work in medical research. I see these things every day. We don't know everything, but we know quite a bit.

July 29, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
  6. Terrie Potter

I'm a nurse and we have had our acetaminophen limits have been lowered to 3,000 gms / day for over 1 1/2 yrs. now for the elderly population. (our population ranges from 70 and up). we usually them 2 Tylenol Arthritis tabs twice daily which equals to 2,600 gms which gives them one more time daily to take 1 regular strength Tylenol and usually works!! :-)

July 28, 2011 at 21:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Metric rules

Good for you, but surely that "gms" was a typo. Three thousand "gms" (grams?) would be about 6.6 POUNDS–probably not good for you. Whether it's one or many, there's no "s" in the abbreviations for milligram or gram (mg and g). 1000 mg is the same as 1 g.

July 28, 2011 at 23:12 | Report abuse |
    • jimmymax

Must be an American nurse, they still haven't figured out metric down there. Too complicated I guess..

July 29, 2011 at 08:49 | Report abuse |
  7. Larry

This is the PC way for a drug company to admit that their testing of a certain drug is progressing at public expense and now they are announcing an adjustment in the dose recommendation. As long as they don't kill too many people and make enough money then the drug is a success. Enough people pay no attention to the reactions listed in the literature that there is plenty of money to be made. Those that can read don't take the drug and there lack of participation is never noticed.

July 28, 2011 at 22:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rob

Don't blame the companies, they're not making you buy the stuff. If people buy it and take it without reading up on it or learning about it, then it's their fault.

July 29, 2011 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
  8. Brian

A: This common drug is the single most common cause of acute liver failure in the US
    Q: That would be "what is acetaminophen, Alex"

McNeil has been pushing this poison down our throats to the tune of 26000 hospitalizations a year, according to bloomberg.

July 29, 2011 at 00:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. MG's & G's & MJ's? Oy Vay!

All this talko f Milligrams, Grams, Marijuana, Tylenol, FDA, DEA, FBI, CIA I need a beer & a bottle of Vicodin b/c now I've got a migraine, & supposedly the nornal 2 Tylenol Rapid Reliefs will now kill me!

July 29, 2011 at 07:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Poop poo pants

Tylenol gives me poopy pants

July 29, 2011 at 07:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. MG's & G's & MJ's? Oy Vay!

I guess that was 1 Jack Me**** that sure got a happy ending!

July 29, 2011 at 07:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. What The??.

So b/c some toothless, redneck, uneducated, drunk losers can't read, & died, we've all now gotta take baby Asprin? Are you kidding me?

July 29, 2011 at 08:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rob

That's what happens when you live in a country where no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions and blame and file lawsuits against everyone else instead.

July 29, 2011 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
  13. Howie Stern

Nice

July 29, 2011 at 08:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. teleatubby

please don't post anymore stories unless they include gun violence

July 29, 2011 at 08:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Chris

Come on, folks. Don't get too upset. It's not like Tylenol actually relieves pain.

July 29, 2011 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Politicians sure as hell aren't my doctors than you!

These stupid Democrats running this country can't vote to approve a debt bill, to end this crisis, yet we're suppose to believe them when it comes to medical advice? I don't think so. The GOP passed a bill weeks ago, but the idiotic Democrats in the Senate shot it down. The GOP again has another bill ready to end this crap, yet the Dem"wits" are refusing to pass it. Yet they are blaming the GOP?

July 29, 2011 at 08:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Juls

Yes, because the right way to solve America's debt problem is to keep raising the debt ceiling. Is that seriously your solution. Clinton left office with a 2 trillion dollar surplus. Bush left office with a 3 trillion dollar debt – WHICH WE ARE STILL TRYING TO PAY OFF.

July 29, 2011 at 09:30 | Report abuse |
    • Totally-Irrelevant

Here – And Overly Biased And WAY MISINFORMED!! Go Away and Get Your FACTS Straight GOPer!

July 29, 2011 at 09:30 | Report abuse |
    • angela

Sure, we could blow off consumer protection and let the free market decide. So how many people would have to die before the free market would make a correction? Since corporate America already holds all the power im sure they could conceal the stats for a long time. People thought auto safety was a big hassle in the 60s but i dont think we would want to go back to an era of deathtrap cars. No need to politicize a simple and reasonable health recommendation.

July 29, 2011 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
  17. jimmymax

My name is Mike Hunt, and I get into the same sort of difficulties.

July 29, 2011 at 08:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Barney 4 President!

I once swallowed an entire bottle of children's vitamins, & it didn't kill me. So what the hell could a few extra Tylenols do? Make me feel even less pain? Isn't that the while point to start with?

July 29, 2011 at 08:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leo

If you think vitamins and acetaminophen are equivalent, then it's no wonder Americans keep poisoning themselves. Here's a reality check:

Children's vitamins = low dose nutrient supplements. It's an artificial source of natural nutrients that our bodies need to survive. Considering how deficient most Americans are on most vitamins, It would take more than one bottle of Flintstones Chewables to poison you.

Acetaminophen = a drug that is metabolized in the liver, has NO natural equivalent in the body or in our foods. It's not a nutrient. Any amount of acetaminophen is more than our bodies naturally process.

If you want to test that theory, try swallowing a bottle of vitamins again. Then a few days later, try the bottle of Tylenol. I guarantee you the results will be very different.

July 29, 2011 at 09:23 | Report abuse |
    • asgardshill

I'm boycotting Flintstones Vitamins until they make a Betty pill. They've got everybody else and even the freaking Flintmobile, but no Betty. And that's wrong.

July 29, 2011 at 10:36 | Report abuse |
    • Rob

Tylenol is far more dangerous than vitamins. If you think the two are equal, then you need to go back to common sense school.

July 29, 2011 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
    • ANTIBULLY

let us know how that works out

July 30, 2011 at 21:08 | Report abuse |
    • jimmy d.

you are a fool. it's because they were children's vitamins. eat a whole bottle of adult vitamins as a child and you can die.

July 31, 2011 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
  19. Jeff Spangler

A pretty much useless drug anyway compaed to aspirin. Stick with the opioids and forget Tylenol for real relief.

July 29, 2011 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Hoofleau

Don't be fooled by this drug propaganda. You only have one liver and can't live without it. Ever known anyone who died of liver failure? It's a horrible way to go.

July 29, 2011 at 09:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. EspyLaCopa

A lot of bodily pain, arthritis for example, is caused from intense inflammation. What I've found really helpful is going on diets that reduce inflammation. This means no dairy and only organic whole (not multi) grains, lots of fresh veggies and fruits, lean meats, chicken, fish. Lots of water. Many people would rather take a lot of medication and keep suffering rather than give up their pork rinds.

July 29, 2011 at 09:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • karen

God, get off the "food cures everything " will you ?

Secondly the general population couldn't be more stupid. It's truly mindboggling. Buy a cold medicine that has tylenol in it and then take tylenol because you have a headache or whatever. Then buy some sort of OTC sleeping pill, that also contains Tylenol. Doesn't anyone read labels. The drug companies are also responsible for this problem. You can barely find any OTC product that doesn't contain Tylenol, it's in everything. Adding to the problem is that almost every opiod also now contains Tylenol .
      It's ubiquitous here. You can't barely get away from it.
      If they'd get the damn tylenol out of everything maybe there would be the problems they're having and if people would read labels, that's taking into account they can actually READ, would help.

July 29, 2011 at 10:33 | Report abuse |
  22. dk

Stop taking and buying this junk, all meds. There is NOTHING in my medicine cabinet. Toothpaste and q tips, that's about it. Stop believing you need stuff. Consumerism.

July 29, 2011 at 10:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D

If I am in pain, I am going to use a pain killer. You, on the other hand, are free to suffer.

July 29, 2011 at 16:21 | Report abuse |
  23. Olaf Big

Tylenol is really a lifestyle drug, and you are better off staying away from it. Tylenol can't help severe pain, and the kind of pain that can be treated with Tylenol can also be tolerated, or treated with a walk, cup of tea, exercise and going to bed early. You are paying with liver damage down the road for a minor pain relief today.

July 29, 2011 at 11:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marine5484

Yep, not to mention your tolerance for pain goes way down and now you need a pill for every little owie you get. People if you have a headache drink at least two cups of water first 70% of all headaches are from dehydration. A sprain use a compression wrap, ice, and elevate the sprain. And try to toughen up a little.

July 29, 2011 at 11:40 | Report abuse |
  24. Tom

The article doesn't list one of the MAJOR SYMPTOMS... dark urine. If your urine changes to an amber color, immediately stop taking acetaminophen and go to your doctor for a liver enzyme test, including GGT enzyme.

July 29, 2011 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. John Henson

Their new dosage regimen will not keep people from taking up to a gram per dose if they wish.

July 29, 2011 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Matt

So....Is Tylenol safe to use as directed before or after they changed the recommended dosage due to it being unsafe when used as directed?

July 29, 2011 at 11:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Danny

Acetaminophen, will and does damage your liver. You only have one of these organs. You can not live without it. Make a well informed decision on what to do about your pain. Live with it, try an alternate medication, or take your chances.

July 29, 2011 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Ben Hutchins

"'Some people accidentally exceed the recommended dose when taking multiple products at the same time, often without realizing they contain acetaminophen or by not reading and following the dosing instructions,' Kuffner said."

I question how effective revising the label is going to be in combating a problem that is already caused by the need for a nice hot steaming mug of pay attention.

July 29, 2011 at 12:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Neal

Good day Elizabeth. You are a new medical student and that's good. Here are 2 questions you won't find on your exam: Why are we the richest country with the most drugs and procedures and have the worst health? I'll give you the answer. Because we have the most access to junk food. 2nd question: If you and your medical friends are so smart how come you can't cure any diseases? Answer: Because all those diseases are not what you say they are. They are all our own body trying to clean up the junk, including the drugs and procedures we have added to it. Here is some research for you Elizabeth. Look up Weston A. Price on the web and read and view his findings and then go to class tomorrow and look at the medical business differently. Good Luck.

July 29, 2011 at 12:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • angela

Somehow i dont think you are going to convince her to abandon her medical education even though you apparently have all of the answers.

July 29, 2011 at 23:50 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

You are completely correct sir, proper diet is really the solution to any health problem. The 300-500 million people who died from Smallpox in the 20th century before a vaccine was created would have been saved if they simply ate the right things.

July 31, 2011 at 04:01 | Report abuse |
  30. Atulomah

From time to time there is need to review the efficacy of pharmaceutical products consumers are getting. This is within the sphere consumer safety and thanks to the clinicians who report adverse events, clinical pharmacologists who evaluate these medicines and importantly, consumer organisations that speak out when things appear not to be right. It is encouraging to note that the producers are responding accordingly. Well, without the drug regulatory bodies, I wonder what would happen. Now my great concern is what would be the fate of consumers in countries where no one actually cares?

July 29, 2011 at 13:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Too Stoned to Care!

Let's all be realistic here people,. the only medication that actually works, you can't buy legally, b/c our government thinks they know what is good for us. If they knew what was good for us, they wouldn't be telling us what we can & can't do. End of discussion. Only a brown nosed preschool drop out will disagree with that. if I want to smoke or inject something into my own body, who the hell is the government to tell me I can't? If I was to tel them they can't do something, they'd just ignore me. So until we are all equal, and free hahahaha as they say we are, they can go fly a kite for all I care!

July 29, 2011 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Petercha

We'll see you in the drug rehab center soon, Stoned.

August 1, 2011 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
  32. Can;t wait for the Wrongful Death lawsuits!

This is really smart by Johnson & Johnson, let's confuse all of our customers by changing their dosages, so they can become even more confused while trying to figure out how many they now need to take to match their old dosage, and OD b/c the company is nothing but morons! Way to go people, I can't wait to get in on these wrongful death lawsuits!

July 29, 2011 at 15:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Can;t wait for the Wrongful Death lawsuits!

Seriously no one has ever died b/c they took the recommended dosage on the bottle. They die b/c they took too many & OD'd.

July 29, 2011 at 15:31 | Report abuse |
  33. okiegirl

The pharmaceutical companies would be better off if they would educate the general public about medications and dosages, instead of taking them off the market or reducing the dosages. The tobacco companies had to put into a fund to educate about the dangers of smoking. I think the pharmaceutical companies should have to do the same. Put out public awareness on how to read a drug warning label and ingredients. Reducing the dosage is not going to help. People will "pop" their normal number of pills, and when it is not effective, they will just "pop" more. I can see this leading to more overdosing than before.

July 29, 2011 at 17:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. AaronT3

Lower the dose, sale at same price, force folk to buy more, INSTANT profit... Yea, I'm sure they care too...

July 29, 2011 at 19:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mary J

From my understanding, they aren't lowering the amount of acetaminophen in their product, but just modifying the instructions so people will take less of it. If anything, that would lower sales because people wouldn't be taking as much of it.

July 30, 2011 at 13:22 | Report abuse |
  35. anonymous

all I can say to all of this is WOW!

July 30, 2011 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Mary J

If people would actually read the information on the medications they take, there would be no need for all this BS. I don't know about everyone else, but I like to know what I am putting into my body before I take it. Stupid, lazy people. *shakes head*

July 30, 2011 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. david

you people who keep saying that you will take a vicodin or hydrocodone, read the damn literature they give you. They both contain tylenol, apap. i took it for thrre years for chronic back pain.

July 30, 2011 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Tink

Tylenol is a fever reducer &for pain relief. It is the only one that is NOT an anti-inflammatory. Worst chioce for arthritis, toothache etc.. b/c of this.

July 30, 2011 at 16:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TigerPharmD

It's actually recommended as one of the first choices for patients with Arthritis. 650 mg four times daily

July 30, 2011 at 20:56 | Report abuse |
  39. PainHater

I feel for anyone who chronically suffer pain. As soon as we get what we are told is a safe effective non-addictive remedy, it's ripped off the shelf and we're left with these heavy narcotics who turn us in to zombies and worse. Unfortunately Tylenol only marginally worked for me, and I have usually wrinkled my nose at doctors who have told me post-surgery that I could take it. But for many people it HAS worked, and now to find out it does more damage than it can be worth, what is left?? And please don't say Marijuana. Just don't.

July 30, 2011 at 20:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Petercha

Good point, PainHater, especially your last sentence.

August 1, 2011 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
  40. mgray

Well I got to tell everyone, all your comment and responses were informative and some were funny as hell. I had a migrain ten min ago. I took two motrin read all this and my headache is gone. Speaking of diet my headache was a combo of the sun, oreo cookies and stress from my kids. But biy did you guys entertain me with your comments . Mr. Your body is a temple u r a crack up. Have a great night..

July 31, 2011 at 01:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. sharonrn

The tylenol risk is related to liver function and liver damage. Having a liver function test completed will help you determine if you can continue on your current Tylenol dose, or if you need to discuss other medication options with your medical provider. Many people see Tylenol as a harmless medication and overdose on it without thinking about the consequences. The results can be a very painful death from liver failure.

July 31, 2011 at 08:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Melissa

How exactly is this supposed to stop accidental overdosing? People will just take more.

July 31, 2011 at 18:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Pat Savu

Why take Acetaminaphen (tylenol)? I have always gotten more pain relief from ibuprofen (Motrin) and Naproxen (Alleve). I hate it when I have surgery and have to use Tylenol 2 weeks before surgery and a week after it. you have to take acetaminaphen every 4 horus while ibuprofen last 8 hours.

August 1, 2011 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Petercha

People need to read the labels on their meds before they take them. I've known about the possibility of an Acetaminophen overdose by taking multiple meds with Acetaminophen in them, for a long time now, because of reading the labels. For example, don't take Tylenol and Nyquil together. If you need Nyquil, take something like Advil or Aspirin to go with it.

August 1, 2011 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Mike

Ask your Dr. for Ultram. If Tylenol works this will really help. I have been taking it for years wo/ side effects. A low dose might do wonders. I have carpel tunnel elbow and wrist,and other skeletal issues, except for extremely bad days and high activity this works great. Feel better. M

December 29, 2011 at 18:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Toby

Posted on I'm thinking it needs eyes too. If you poeotiinsd some big ol' googly eyes in just the right spot so the bottom protuberance looks like a tongue, I think it would work as a cute orange critter. :)

October 11, 2012 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
  46. The Money Making Ability In how to get backlinks

I do believe all the ideas you have presented in your post. They are very convincing and will certainly work. Nonetheless, the posts are very brief for beginners. Could you please prolong them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

August 3, 2012 at 05:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. смонтировать

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem along with your web site in web explorer, would check this? IE nonetheless is the market chief and a good part of other folks will omit your great writing due to this problem.

August 5, 2012 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. john schoon

i;m taking 600 tylenal every 8 hrs.dr's orders. i have sever f m s .and horrible headachs. i;m 77 yrs old with a lot of other med problems. if i could get 50% beter for the f m s i beleive my other problems would get better . i hate tylenol and all meds that are hard on my liver-kidneys and all the other things they affect. lpease help me if you can. thank you very much . REDFELLOW

April 22, 2013 at 19:37 | Report abuse | Reply