home
RSS
Actress: I got compliments for looking emaciated
July 26th, 2011

Actress: I got compliments for looking emaciated

Actress Rosario Dawson has some pointed words about expectations on women and their bodies.

"It's a form of violence in the way that we look at women and the way we expect them to look and be for what sake? Not for health, survival, not for enjoyment of life, but just so you could look pretty," Dawson told Shape Magazine.

Dawson who appears on the August cover discussed industry-wide pressures to maintain an ideal body type.  After losing weight to play a drug addict dying of HIV/AIDS in the 2005 film "Rent," she was stunned to hear compliments about her  figure. “I remember everyone asking what did you do to get so thin? You looked great,” Dawson recalled. “I looked emaciated.”

Her video with Shape is here.

“I’m constantly telling girls all the time everything is airbrushed, everything is retouched to the point it’s not even asked,” she told the magazine.  “None of us look like that."

In the competitive world of magazine covers, skin is nipped, blemishes erased and waist trimmed.  Photoshopping models and celebrities for ultra svelte bodies became a huge topic in France in 2009 when a politician proposed a law that require altered advertisement photographs to carry a label.

This year, the American Medical Association adopted a policy during its annual meeting warning that photo alteration of models’ bodies “can contribute to unrealistic expectations of appropriate body image – especially among impressionable children and adolescents.

“A large body of literature links exposure to media-propagated images of unrealistic body image to eating disorders and other child and adolescent health problems,” according to the AMA.

The group called on advertising associations to discourage altering photos that could promote unrealistic expectations of body image.

Glossy fashion magazines to even health and fitness publications routinely retouch photographs.  Is it contradictory that fitness magazines that preach healthy lifestyle retouch their models or celebrities’ photos to look skinnier?

Follow @CNNHealth on Twitter

1. Chelsea

@AX Type II may be caused from an unhealthy diet but not always. Both my step brother and brother-in-law have been diagnosed with type II and they're both extremely healthy people: active and healthy diet. Nor do those two factors mean remission. My brother-in-law has been at it for years and while he may have been able to decrease his insulin intake he still has to take his blood sugar and insulin in accordance after every meal. Not only that but yes obesity is an issue, there are people who simply can't lose the weight because they're life style is hectic. My sister for example eats healthy and exercises whole keeping up with 2 toddlers but she just can't shed all the weight she gained in college or from having to kids and she is gorgeous regardless. And know that's not a sister defending a sister, even with her wedding ring on she gets stares whistles and cat calls AND she's healthy

July 27, 2011 at 12:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Todd

My wife's name is Chelsea 😀

July 27, 2011 at 13:00 | Report abuse |
    • momof3

One can be insulin resistant without being overweight. I'm a woman with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome, which affects about 5-10% of females). I am not overweight, but am insulin resistant. My BMI was 19 when I got diagnosed.

Insulin resistance puts me at a significantly increased risk of type 2.

There are thin type 2 diabetics. Insulin resistance is often the cause of the weight gain (and or type 2) in the first place.

July 27, 2011 at 14:50 | Report abuse |
  2. Dani

A few years ago I was sick with severe rheumatoid arthritis and lost about twenty pounds. My BMI went from about 22 to 18 and my clothes size from about a 6/8 to a 2/4, which when you're 5 ft. 9 is too small. I never had so many people tell me how great I looked. I can see why people become anorexic- the positive feedback is incredible, never mind if you're dying to get that thin.... I am better now, my BMI is around 21 (low normal). And I don't get half as many positive remarks as I did.

July 27, 2011 at 12:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brandon

Dani California?

July 27, 2011 at 13:09 | Report abuse |
    • Jenna

18 is a fine BMI for an athlete

July 27, 2011 at 13:19 | Report abuse |
    • mom2homer

I had a "friend" tell me, when I was recovering from major surgery, that I looked great because "all that fasting must have really helped you lose weight." Yeah, all that not eating for days, being sliced open, and having a tumor-filled organ removed, but I sure was lucky because I lost ten pounds!

July 27, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

I was born in the state of Mississippi. My father was a police officer and my mother was a hippie. In Alabama, she would swing the hammer. Well, I guess that's the price you gotta pay when you break the panorama.

July 27, 2011 at 13:53 | Report abuse |
  3. Voltairine

As long as there are no rules for the movie, stage, (especially) fashion, etc. industries that require women to adhere to HEALTHY standards, the slimy companies that keep selecting unhealthy people for these jobs will continue, women will the also continue punishing and even killing themselves, and girls will continue feeling that they have to be unhealthy to be attractive. All of this is negative, but all of it is helped by those industries thinking of human beings and what's right instead of their $$$. And if people don't fight back, it will also continue, because those industries just don't care.

July 27, 2011 at 12:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Schmedley

Rules won't make a difference because no one will enforce them.

At the end of the day, you are trying to fight against human nature and it won't work. People will always desire people or things that are unusual or outstanding. If you are envisioning that one day magazines and movies will feature "normal" people to promote that look, it ain't going to happen because people won't pay as much to see that. People generally don't want to see "normal" people for exactly that reason, they are normal and you can see that every day.

It is a fallacy to believe that we like that look solely because that is what is shown to us. Advertising and the media to a large extent just follow what their marketing research shows that the general public wants to see. People don't want to see some nerdy fat dude behind a computer screen. They want to see Jennifer Lopez shaking her booty.

I ain't sayin' it's good. I'm just saying that it is.

July 27, 2011 at 13:15 | Report abuse |
    • ann

It's easy to blame the corporations, but if women didn't buy their magazines and all the useless products they push, then they wouldn't be in business. Blame starts with the women who buy this stuff and then whine about the societal pressure. No one forces you to look at the TV, the magazines, or buy diet pills.

July 27, 2011 at 13:38 | Report abuse |
    • williamb

Go to any asian country and you will see that if you eat healthy food and are active you can be skinny without starving your self. American lady's are fat pigs. you don't have to starve your self. just change your life style. have each dinner plate be 50% veg. 25% hole grain or fruit. 25% lean meat. only drink water or unsweetened tea .green tea is best. do 30 minutes of cardio 4-6 times a week and you can look like billions of other healthy people on this planet.

August 18, 2011 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
  4. KateC

First, this has been cited by so many commenters now that I have to set the record straight. The study that bad science journalists claimed supported a higher mortality rate for underweight people included a great many underweight people who had lost weight because of a disease. THAT is what caused their higher fatality rate! There is NO CORRELATION between dying earlier and being underweight in the ABSENCE of a disease (an eating disorder definitely qualifies), and the study does NOT support that. It was just pathetic science journalists who wanted a stunning headline.

I am 5'5", 100 lbs., never had an eating disorder in my life, have had my thyroid, etc., thoroughly checked out... it's just high metabolism. People are not cut out of a cookie cutter, and underweight is healthy for some people. It is NOT "ugly," and to those d-b@g males who made the statement that it is... you are utterly pathetic and contemptible, no different from those who call overweight women ugly, but I'm glad you are speaking your minds, so that we women can steer clear of your sorry selves!

Second, the topic of the article. Are we adults or not? If children are involved, are there parents or not? I honestly don't understand why anyone cares what Hollywood, the fashion industry, or marketers think they ought to look like... Who are these people who do? They, frankly, are weak. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. There are millions of women like me who don't allow this sort of thing to influence our self-image, which means that it CAN be done. It's a matter of having confidence in yourself. I don't need a ban on photoshopping to be pleased with my body image; why does anyone else? We need to take some responsibility here. The idea of forcing these regulations (bans on photo editing, disclaimers, etc.) is nothing more than the "nanny state" mentality that people are unable to take care of themselves, are putty in the hands of whoever, and need to have someone to make everything easy for them. And the demonization of thin women that has been on disgusting display in the comments ("unhealthy" and "ugly") is nothing more than political correctness: Some group has been ostracized and discriminated against in the past, so let's reverse it and demonize somebody else to lift that group up! Again, no responsibility here, just blaming and attacking somebody else. And frankly, calling thin women ugly and unhealthy does nothing to make overweight women feel better about themselves. What in the world is wrong with the idea that everyone who is in good health is all right, no matter what their weight is? Is that just too hard?

I'll repeat my question: Are we adults or not? Honestly, people.

July 27, 2011 at 12:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • McClure

I agree with some of what you said in your post. However, I want you to consider a couple of things. First, you have said yourself that you are thin. That's great. However, your body type is what is generally being touted as "ideal" so I'm not sure if you are in the best position to understand people's feelings when they are constantly told that what they naturally look like is undesirable. (and not just by the odd person's comment but by a general influx of publicity, media, movies, etc.)

Now, the next, and more important point, is that I think you are underestimating the impact that media has on people, especially young people. I have a 4 year old little girl with dark hair. She often has made comments disparraging dark hair, saying "golden hair" is beautiful and more desirable. Where the heck did she get this idea? I have always been somewhat of a tomboy, and I am a natural redhead, so it's certainly not from me. Have you ever noticed how many disney princesses are blond? (and I don't even buy into the whole "princess" thing with her) Even in the latest disney movie, Rapunzel has long, blond MAGICAL hair. When her hair loses it's power it becomes, yes, you guessed it, BROWN. I have discussed these comments with her, but she still believes that blond hair is better and more beautiful.

Parenting is a part of the puzzle, to be sure, but it is AMAZING how these unhealthy ideas are infiltrating from every direction.

July 27, 2011 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
    • rufus

Wow! - an intelligent, well written comment on CNN. Too few and far between.

July 27, 2011 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
    • whatsYourPoint

you're not that thin. i'm 5'10 and weigh 100lbs. yet here in LA i am considered fatter than i should be. you wouldn't even be noticed.

July 28, 2011 at 01:15 | Report abuse |
    • Megan

@whatsYourPoint
      ...Seriously? That's what you took from her post. Apparently someone didn't reflect on the "adult or not" question.

July 28, 2011 at 02:37 | Report abuse |
    • G.M. Christo

To KateC,

you bring up a lot of great points and a perspective I would have not considered. But I do have issues with this ...

"There are millions of women like me who don't allow this sort of thing to influence our self-image, which means that it CAN be done. It's a matter of having confidence in yourself. I don't need a ban on photoshopping to be pleased with my body image; why does anyone else? We need to take some responsibility here."

Especially as an adolescent, it is hard to protect your self for your self image being influenced by edited bodies created by photoshop. I feel like my age group especially ( I'm 18) has been hit the hardest with altered body images leading to confusion about what their body is really suppose to look like. I think you have to take into consideration how we are hit with distorted images everyday that don't look like the average boy type, therefore leaving a lot of women to doubt themselves.

You sound like a really strong and confident woman,and I commend you for your gusto. But take into consideration the girls who don't have your confidence but instead have eating disorders. Also take into consideration that you are 5'5" and 100 pounds, a weight that is socially accepted in our society. Your body mirrors more of the hollywood and fashion then, say, women with, curves. I guess, just keep in mind the perspective you're coming from.

July 28, 2011 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
    • MsAledella

Thank you McClure. I'm pretty sure I will NEVER watch another "modern" Disney movie AGAIN! I have a 4YO (blond) girl who has never seen a Disney movie and doesn't have anything "princess," doesn't go to preschool (home schooled) and has extremely limited television viewing (I am fortunate enough to stay home with her filling our days w/ awesome activities and a variety of ages in friends). She recently met a young cousin of hers for the first time who's hair is brown and asked me if her hair would ever turn the beautiful brown color of her cousin's. She is very hopeful! I'm grateful for your comment. While I know I cannot shield her from the media, I better understand the impact on even preschool-aged children.

August 15, 2011 at 22:10 | Report abuse |
  5. Yakobi.

Rosario Dawson has never, EVER looked bad, no matter what her weight was.

July 27, 2011 at 12:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tswinburn

She has not. I'm male & at 225# & 6' 2" & a BMI of 14 I sure didn't look thin. My face was shrunken, but my body, NOT muscle bound, did not look thin. Wish I were there again.

July 27, 2011 at 13:12 | Report abuse |
    • oompa

6'2 at 225 is a BMI of 28.9, it's considered overweight. Maybe you put in the wrong weight.

July 27, 2011 at 13:22 | Report abuse |
    • WOBH

Th BMI is a poor measurement. When Arnold Schwarzenegger won the Mr. Universe contest he was 6' 2" and weighed 235lbs... his BMI was therefore 30.2 which is moderately obese by the BMI standards.... at 20 yrs old Arnold was NOT obese.

I'm 5' 11" and weigh 180. My BMI is 25.1 which is overweight but my body fat composition is 15% which is considered healthy and not overweight.

July 27, 2011 at 14:06 | Report abuse |
    • balto paul

BMI metrics are ridiculous. I was an athlete in college, and in ROTC at the time as well. I was "obese" according to the height/weight charts, because muscle is rather dense and heavy. I never had anything below a perfect score on the APRT (Army's physical fitness test). Obese people don't run the 2 mile run in 8:55.

July 28, 2011 at 00:44 | Report abuse |
  6. Grundoon

I think these waif models look more like teenage boys than women. If that's who the designers want to make clothes for they should stick to that market rather than convince women the designs are for them. But teenage boyes = $0 while women = $Cha-Ching!$

July 27, 2011 at 13:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • missmythoughtsare

I am so happy someone else sees this as Americas need to worship the body of a 12 year old boy with fake breasts. This country has ruined its people with the 'way you look'. Yes being obease is not healthy, but neither is being 88 lbs at 5.9. What you see on TV compared to what they look like inperson, yuk. Thanks for the comment, there are others...

July 27, 2011 at 13:31 | Report abuse |
  7. Freedom Everywhere

Bravo for Rosario Dawson! Thanks for reminding people, especially women and parents, about the unrealistic images being portrayed by so called 'beauty magazines' and media in general. I just hope that people also demand more accountability from those outlets by writing letters to the editor and boycott those who practically lie to their readers.
    Let's teach our children to love themselves, eat well, do sports and enjoy life everyday. Healthy is beautiful.

July 27, 2011 at 13:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • saftgek

Amen, and Amen, and Amen! Excellent post!

July 27, 2011 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
  8. Name*Live & Let Live

Eat right, move more, be healthy, kind your own business, and shut up.

July 27, 2011 at 13:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Geezer

I have to ride the elevator with some really beasts. I mean you can smell them and hear them huffing and puffing.

July 27, 2011 at 13:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. johnmclaugh

Ezzy i never said people like you were annoying but you just kinda did.

@GT66 i think that guy is full of s**t. unless he lives in jamaica. then it totally makes sense.

dcn8v its called jealousy.

July 27, 2011 at 13:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. KateB

Yep...at one point during a long illness I went from my usual 150-160 (size 8) down to 107 (size 2) my hair and skin was dull, collarbones going "pop", hollow cheeks, cold and exhausted all the time....yet I got complements left, right, center about how "great" I looked...most of these comments were from women, and the worse ones were my own aunts - all of whom struggled at one time or another with anorexia. When I got healthy and went back up in weight, I looked much better IMHO, but my crappy relatives sniffed that I'd "gotten lazy" and "let myself go" and "You'll NEVER find a husband!". Well, here I am 15 years later with a great marriage. Go figure!

July 27, 2011 at 13:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KateB

Hahahh! Too funny Troll Boy Nik. Nope, I'm pretty darn hot...and you've not seen the weezened, balding, Skeletors that are my aunts...they make Schwarzenegger's Ex look like a walrus.

July 27, 2011 at 13:15 | Report abuse |
    • tswinburn

Cold & exhausted all the time? Definitely underweight. And I know personally some VERY hot 150# women.

July 27, 2011 at 13:19 | Report abuse |
    • McClure

LOL trollboy Nik...yes it's true, some weights are just out of the realm of possibility for certain genders. We all know that her height would have NO influence on what her weight should be. It just matters that she is female.

July 27, 2011 at 13:21 | Report abuse |
    • Sammi

Nik- You are a disgusting excuse for a man if you think that 150-160 is WAY overweight for a woman. What is that woman is 5'9" or 5'10"? That would actually be quite normal for that height. I myself am 5"7 and am generally between 130-135 but there was a point where I got to about 150. I was chubby, but I was nowhere near overweight or obese, and I still have plenty of guys attracted to me.

Kate- I'm glad you found a healthy weight that YOU are happy with. When it comes down to it, unless its a health issue, there is no reason for anyone else, family or not, to be commenting on someone else's weight!

July 27, 2011 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
    • Clara

Nik, the avg weight for a 5'6" swimmer (just a particular type of athlete) is between 130-150... and they're lean ladies. The number isn't everything... muscle content accounts for a lot.

July 27, 2011 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
    • Renee

Nic sounds like a nasty person.

July 27, 2011 at 13:23 | Report abuse |
    • missmythoughtsare

Yes KatieB, nik likes little boys for sure. I will not be one of those skin and bone women you see out walking miles so they're men can have the body of a 12 year old boy to (yuk). A woman should have curves so they can be identified as a woman. You keep feeling good about yourself cause I am sure with some of these comments, these guys have guts and are balding while living in mommies basement playing video games.

July 27, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
  12. BeamMeUpScotty

Who's to blame really?

It's YOU and I – the general public that buys all these things!

Stop buying these products and the companies behind them will stop selling them.

Demand products with REAL LOOKING PEOPLE and you shall receive it.

It's that simple.

July 27, 2011 at 13:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. tswinburn

I feel very sorry for you.

July 27, 2011 at 13:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Gork

So, she balks about giving girls an unhealthy image and expecation to learn from because she was too thin? What about her repeated roles where she was chain smoking???

July 27, 2011 at 13:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. teleatubby

the lower lip full of botox is not very appealing

the bags under her eyes look like they scale in at 5# each

July 27, 2011 at 13:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. JD

More like fatress.

July 27, 2011 at 13:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Hypnogal

You know how you go to the bathroom every dayin the morning and then (wash our hands) go eat usually immediately after? How do we DO that?! Well, we forget it >> Ignore it selectively and just go live and be heatlhy <<<!!!

July 27, 2011 at 13:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. James Tayor

Only in the USA. YOU dont see those beautiful white women in spain, france, or sweden looking like a whale after having babies. Here they look like that even be4 babies. Are you blind or what? what are the fattest nation in the history of the world.

July 27, 2011 at 13:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. ES

"The controversies surrounding the pressure to be too thin and constant airbrushing of photos are nothing new."

That "pressure" is only coming from inside your head and other women. There is no magazine cover, billboard, movie, picture, etc. that says women have to look a certain way. You read a sentence from a magazine cover and assume that it is some hidden message to you. Be happy with who you are, flaws and all, just like we all have, and stop ignoring the obvious.

July 27, 2011 at 13:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. James Tayor

WHy are women in the USA so fat compare to European or girls from Argentina, Chile or Brazil??

Only in the USA. YOU dont see those beautiful white women in Spain, France, or Germany looking like a whale after having babies. Here they look like that even be4 babies. We are the fattest nation in the history of the world.

Stop saying is hormones or something else. THe culprit is YOUR MOUTH!! Dont blame your husbands, boyfriends returning soldiers when they see you so fat that they run away and find a much slimmer woman. Stop eating so much, stop been so lazy and run or go on a bike for 10-30 miles 3 times a week. YOu will see how fast you loose weight.

July 27, 2011 at 13:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fatisfugly

No they rather get tattoos, crazy hair and make up. Anything to avoid heaving their asses off the couch.

July 27, 2011 at 13:45 | Report abuse |
    • HealthyNormal

alright, no one said that being fat or obese is healthy, that's one extreme. On the other hand, no one said that being thin/skinny is healthy either. There is such a thing as a in between which = healthy.

July 27, 2011 at 16:29 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

You guys are fat, too, and America is one of the LEAST gender egalitarian of the industrialized world. Know what all those European countries with thin and beautiful women have? Paid parental leave for both genders. Fathers who are involved. Women who don't have to sacrifice career for family. Husbands who know how to actually pick up a pan and make their family a healthy dinner. American men want their wives to stay young, thin, and beautiful, and yet won't lift a finger to do the things that would give her time to take care of herself. You can only have it one of two ways... better decide which you want more.

July 29, 2011 at 00:57 | Report abuse |
    • Ash

I've been to the Netherlands, France, Belgium, Switzerland and Ireland.

I've seen quite a few fatties in western Europe: and they weren't north American tourists, tyvm.

July 29, 2011 at 07:47 | Report abuse |
    • Aly

Just cause you're a curvy woman doesn't make you lazy. Curves are from genetics. GET OVER IT, PEOPLE!

August 6, 2011 at 16:15 | Report abuse |
  21. Lou

Fabricated small, perfect body images and rocketing epidemic of childhood obesity...a strange dynamic....perhaps kids feeling they can never attain these unrealistic body images coupled with low activilty result in a majority of kids being overweight and other kids wasting away in the struggle to look beautiful.

July 27, 2011 at 13:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. RckyMtnGrl

I am 5'10". At my heaviest, I weighed 175lbs. In Sept 2002, I quit drinking, and over the next 6 years, my weight went down to 127lbs. In June of 2008, I became a widow at the age of 29. In less than 3 months, I dropped to a horrifying 100lbs and was wearing a size 0/00.

I was both confounded and disheartened by the reactions I got at my lowest weight; mainly, the compliments. I could not make it through one day going in public without someone asking me what I did to "stay so fit." I was inclined to say something like "the most effective diet *ever*...the grief diet!", but I would give some answer like genetics, etc. When I went to the grocery store, people (mainly women), would not-so-dicreetly glance in my shopping cart to see what I was buying. On innumerable occasions, I would hear, "I wish I was as thin as you."

No, you don't. Having been on both sides of the weight spectrum, I can tell you with no uncertainty that if I had to choose to live my life at 175lbs or 100lbs, I would take 175 any day of the week. To be that thin is exhausting. Not having the strength to do simple, everyday things (like carrying groceries), is a truly helpless feeling.

I am now back to around 123lbs. Light for someone my height, but what matters is that I *feel* so much better, physically. I am now in a relationship with a wonderful man who completely respects the spiritual relationship I have with my late husband, and he is always cognizant of my weight inasmuch that he wants to be sure I am staying healthy (and he would prefer I gain a booty anyway :)).

My boyfriend's daughter is now 11, an age where appearances become of paramount importance amongst her peers. Fortunately, both her father, mother and I are strong proponents of being healthy; being active and EATING healthy!! If you feel good, you exude that good feeling, whether you're a size 4 or size 12. I hope as a society we can all start to recognize and understand this, and that over time we can shift away from perpetuating the idea that skeletal is beautiful; it is not. Feeling good is beautiful, regardless of what size feeling good means.

That being said, the whole experience has shown me a terribly skewed the representation of what looks good on a female really is.

July 27, 2011 at 13:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kelly

YESSSS! This is what I was trying to say! And let me guess, at 5'10" and 123 lbs (still thin by anyeones standards) you get less compliments than you did when you were emaciated? I just don't understand how people can ignore the dull skin, thinning hair and shrunken appearance and zero in on jutting bones as desirable. It doesn't LOOK healthy and it certainly doesn't FEEL healthy – being weak, tired and cold constantly is no way to be, and shouldn't be admired as some kind of golden standard.

July 27, 2011 at 14:00 | Report abuse |
  23. Cynic

If some men like extremely thin, perhaps it is because of their secret desire to sleep with a 13-year old boy.

July 27, 2011 at 13:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nik

Cynic – keep telling yourself tonight while you shove that 4th double cheeseburger down your throat!

July 27, 2011 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • Bri

Actually, I think most women would like to have flowers in bed! How thoughtful of you!

July 27, 2011 at 20:22 | Report abuse |
  24. Mary

More proof that the feminist movement was and is a total failure.

July 27, 2011 at 13:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. rep

And yet the rate of obesity in this country is skyrocketing–especially with young children. Check any scientific study you like.

This kind of story is what I'd call a tempest in a teapot. If the pressure was really so great on so many women to be thin and the rewards so abundant, shouldn't we have the opposite problem in this country??

July 27, 2011 at 13:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. whocares

Other women drive that need more then men or some industry does... Do you really think guys give a #$$@$% about what shoes a woman is wearing?

July 27, 2011 at 13:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • balto paul

lol ...

I remember my friend's wife going on about how "Tyra Banks isn't all that, she's got ugly feet."

The guys alll looked at each other rather, perplexed by this, and one of us said "she has feet?" 😉

Guys aren't anywhere nearly as judgemental when it comes to a woman's appearance as women are.

July 28, 2011 at 00:53 | Report abuse |
  27. Sparko

You know its not just us woman who account for the US being the "fatest". Do you just see fat women but not men? Fat, slobby men everywhere too. Funny how its just the overweight women being insulted here. A lot of men are pigs, and now I am NOT talking about weight.........

July 27, 2011 at 13:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Derek

Fatis fugly can't even spell "flour" correctly, hahah what a moron.

July 27, 2011 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Jodey

Kudos to Rosario Dawson!!! Now if every other actress in Hollywood would come clean in the press about this issue, American girls might (gasp!) develop healthier body images rather than feel they are being held to an unattainable standard.

July 27, 2011 at 14:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. James Tayor

How about going out to run, biking heavy hiking and leave the iphone at home. Sweat it out!!

July 27, 2011 at 14:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Fresh Breath

It doesn't matter anyway. 90% of all men prefer that "airbrushed," s3x model over a real woman anyway....

July 27, 2011 at 14:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fatisfugly

keep telling yourself that there aren't any women who take care of themselves.

July 27, 2011 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
    • Liutgard

Dude, keep telling yourself that. You have an ugly soul, and exercise won't change it.

July 28, 2011 at 01:42 | Report abuse |
  32. James Tayor

I lived in Spain and then France for ten years and hardly saw any fat man or woman of any age. Specially a young one. Here they just eat those happy meals over and over thinking that those saturate burgers and fries and heavy grease will vanish once you swallowed it.
    Look at our kids now? They look like rolling bowling balls. And their parents are barrels of fatness. That is another reason why we got so many citizens sick and diabetics. Take those computers and video games away and push them to exercise. The same for the parents. LEave facebook and your iphone and go out and sweat it out. YOu will be happier later and will live much longer. And for real, your friends and strangers will come to you to tell you how great you look.

ANd if you must eat junk food, then ONLY eat the burger, leave the buns and fries on your plate and just eat the meat. At least try that. BTW junk food is not cheap either. What you pay with a full meal you can go and pay $1 or $3 more bucks and get a real healthier meal. ALso be4 going to bed, IF YOU MUST, just eat a bowl of cereal, fruits instead of anything HEAVY.

July 27, 2011 at 14:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Esteban

We constantly hear the refrain that the media portrays unrealistic versions of health. THIN IS HEALTHY, NOT UNREALISTIC!! Thin means lower body fat. Almost all humans operate better with moderately low body fat. I think that the general population is to used to seeing 160 lb females, which in my opinion is absurd. I am a 6'1" man and that is how much I weighed when I was 19 years old! You fat ladies need to stop seeking comfort in seeing other fat women and thinking it is normal. IT IS NOT normal. Why don't America ladies get rid of the fat and i will compliment each and every one you!

July 27, 2011 at 14:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nik

Esteban – well said bro.

FAT ISN'T NORMAL PEOPLE.

150 pound is NOT attractive on a woman.

July 27, 2011 at 14:15 | Report abuse |
    • Tinkie Bell

um.....who said we want a compliment from you?

July 27, 2011 at 16:39 | Report abuse |
    • Ash

Nik doth protest too much, methinks.

Stop eating the macaroni & cheese from a box in your mom's basement, Nik. Women aren't that terrifying. I bet even a fat girl would show you some sympathy and take you out into the sunlight. Your personality seems in need of some vitamin D.

Enjoy GenCon next week, buddy . . .

July 29, 2011 at 07:53 | Report abuse |
  34. James Tayor

BTW is not about been thin like a string or flag pole. Is about been NORMAL. FATNESS is not NORMAL at all. Is ugly and will cause lots of medical issues in your life and your future and even on your children. It will get you depress and sad too.

Is sad when I hear a fat woman talking about a normal looking thin girl and she is saying, "look at that girl how thin she is. She must be sick or is an anorexic." How sad is that when this fat woman, or man, think that she is normal.

July 27, 2011 at 14:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Beth

I agree with alot of these comments about fat people not wanting to work to get the fat off. The reason why? I'm a fatty myself, here is the thing I am going to the gym six days a week to those these pounds and I'm eating healthier. My sister-n-law is very over weight too, she asked me how me and my husband have been able to lose over a combined weight of 136lbs in six months and I told her I went and got a gym membership and started eating healthy. Her excuse was "I cant afford that"! "it's cheaper to feed the family with fast food everyday, instead of groceries" it blew my mind! we have the same amount of family members (2 adults 3 children)and they think its "cheaper" to buy fast food every night! I call BS! We have quit eating fast food for two years now, and I've saved my health, my husbands health, my kids health and i few hundred dollars a month! Like my doctor told me two years ago "there is no magic pill to lose weight" and he's right! all it took was for me and my family to get off our laxy behinds and exercise!

July 27, 2011 at 14:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Chris

Sorry, Sparko, but take a look at a crowd anywhere, and fat women outnumber fat men by at LEAST two to one.

July 27, 2011 at 14:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. MacK

The fact you use BBW in its proper context here only suggests you frequent certain websites. Stop being in denial. You know you like it – that big cushy lovin'.

July 27, 2011 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kelly

What does BBW mean? and NO, I don't want to google it!

July 30, 2011 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
  38. little girl

I haven't read all the comments, so i apologize if i repeat someones's words.
    There's a saying "a skinny cow is not a gazelle". Some women are meant to be thin and light, and others–bigger and heavier. It has nothing to do with BMI, but with balance and harmony. Someone here was right: you CAN tell by looking at a person. And not all men think curves are the absolute beauty standard. There's an admirer for absolutely every type of woman. As to the pressure of outside world–people can just work on their inner information filter. It takes common sense and education, and some good parenting when it comes to kids and teens.
    As to healthy eating being too expensive: i am sorry, but that is just a load of bull. Of course, you can load your fridge with all kinds of yummy stuff from whole foods market and feel good about yourself. But it can be easier and cheaper. So many foods are overlooked, like porridge. Oats, rice, buckwheat, millet, barley are so nutritious, delicious and cheap. If they are not in your store, they are most likely to be either at a mexican grocery (which IS, by the way, in almost any "poor" district), or an oriental store. Beans are the same. Pick up a giant bag of beans for the price of those organic green bean chips, that are loaded with salt and other gunk. Eat the fruits and veggies that are in season–they are so much cheaper then. Meat can be tricky, so you can either cut down the consumption (trust me, america overeats meat) or cut it out altogether.
    Sorry for the long, insistant comment, but i just get tired of listening to excuses.

July 27, 2011 at 14:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Chris

No one is criticizing big-boned women, or stocky women... there is natural variation in human body types, and this is a fact.

What people are railing against is the obese. There is no natural body type that weighs 255 lbs. at 5' 4".

July 27, 2011 at 16:04 | Report abuse |
    • little girl

it seems to me that some people are rallying against everything here)

July 27, 2011 at 16:11 | Report abuse |
    • Ash

In place of red meat – eat more fish, people! It's one of the best foods out there. A little salmon and some steamed asparagus and tomatoes is my FAVORITE meal. I'll take it any day over a whopper with fries.

July 29, 2011 at 07:55 | Report abuse |
  39. MacK

This just goes to prove the old oxymoron of 'Truth in advertising'. There is no truth, only perception.

July 27, 2011 at 14:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Nik

Mack, you are ignorant.

There are many women who describe themselves as "BBW". It also popular to describe yourself as "big booty".

The truth is that these women are FAT cows.

July 27, 2011 at 15:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Chris

My girlfriend calls that women with that a "boobiedoo". As in, "Her belly sticks out further than her boobies do."

July 27, 2011 at 16:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. flingo

Just wondering if some of you know how much you're hurting people with your comments.

July 27, 2011 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • tls

That's just it. They are trying to be hurtful. They get off on it. It's sad really that people get their kicks out of something like that. No wonder this country is in the state it is.

July 27, 2011 at 16:42 | Report abuse |
    • BBW = lie

Mongo mad. Mongo stomp everyone.

July 27, 2011 at 17:03 | Report abuse |
  43. Louisa

Several years ago, I started having crazy symptoms of hot flashes, mood swings, tremors, hair loss, mental fuzziness and weight gain. Three different doctors checked my thyroid and my numbers were fine. A fourth checked my thyroid but looked at the numbers in a different way. Then he actually examined me and discovered a goiter that turned out to be .6 mm on one side and .4 on the other. It's standard to remove goiters if they are .3mm. Within 3 months of the surgery, I lost 25 pounds. A year after the surgery I was down another 30 pounds and my weight is back to my normal range 124 at 5'2". I hit 124 pounds 18 months ago and my weight fluctuates between 122 and 127. My point is that I have looked at life from both sides. When people compliment me on my weight loss, I cringe because I think "You were probably ridiculing me while I was sick". I look at obese people differently now. I don't know who is carrying extra weight because of undetected illness like me. I have people asking me how much more I want to loose and I keep saying none because now I'm healthy and that is all that matters.

July 27, 2011 at 16:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. wendy5

well you can thank hue heffner for that;and no they do not really look like that;some are real dogs when you see them natural; very sad to distort people this way to make them appear way way way more than they are; what sadder is that people buy into

July 27, 2011 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • balto paul

What color is "Hue Heffner"? Chartreuse? Mauve?

July 28, 2011 at 00:57 | Report abuse |
  45. Kelly

I'm not sure how this discussion got so incredibly derailed or how it turned into this hateful pick-on-fat-people thing.
    Fact: Being skeletally thin is unhealthy and unrealistic body expectation that is perpetuated in our society by the media and kindof *everyone*
    Fact: Being fit is healthy.
    Fact: Being overweight is unhealthy but is NOT promoted by the media/society is being desirable.
    No one is saying bad things about thin people or saying that people shouldn't be thin/fit. It's HOW thin that is the issue.
    As for the comment about how thin people aren't happy – and the reactions to that comment – I think what that person was trying to say is that when a thin person looks at an overweight person with such disdain and such an air of superiority, that person proooobably has some issues, or at the very least is an uncompassionate ass.
    Again, having gone from sickly thin to a healthy weight, I'm happy with myself, I look way better – but I got a ton of positive attention for being SO thin. I think it's sad that people saw me and my weight as something desirable, and I think that there is a clear correlation between people's desire to be/admiration of skeletal frames and the rail-thin models who are air-brushed to look even thinner on the covers of magazines. BUT, the sad reality is the magazines wouldn't be doing that if they weren't making so much money doing it.

July 27, 2011 at 16:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. NoFattyMenPlease

As a woman its such a bummer that men today are so unattractive because they are fat and bloated. Guts as if they are 9-months pregnant. So rounded and curvy that if wasn't for their male haircut, I would have guessed that they were a heavy set woman. Men just don't look masculine at all. Their faces are also so bloated and belly by the time they've turned 25.

I find myself looking at older movies all the time just to remind myself how real men used to look when men were slim and not stuffing their faces constantly with Cheetos. Men want their woman to work out and stay slim to look good for them, but ask the same of the man and he looks at you incredulously.

July 27, 2011 at 19:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ash

It's ironic that no one has really discussed the interesting trend in television today: the fatty husband with the hot wife.

Men are 'allowed' to look like bloated whales and women have to have a show melded around their obesity like that Diva show . . . where the fat woman is more a quirk than a normality. "I'm fat, but I'm still an awesome person with flair!" is what those shows promote.

Yet men like Kevin James, etc get a 'pass' because fat guys are just so darn cute and cuddly and funny.

Sure they are, but I don't want your belly in my bed.

July 29, 2011 at 08:00 | Report abuse |
  47. Ari

This is an article about emaciated versus healthy. Fat has nothing to do with it.
    I looked up the BMI, at my height I would have to be 87lbs or less to be attractive half of male posters on her.
    There is no way in hell a BMI of 14.96 or being 87lbs at 5'4" is healthy, but the men on her arguing for emaciated women in favor of thin healthy women, which are the only kinds of women mentioned in the article, being 110lbs with a BMI of 18.92 is obviously morbidly obese. Never mind the 120lbs (BMI 20.46) I actually weighed as an athletic teenager, or the 135lbs (BMI 23.22) I weigh now at 30 while pregnant.

July 28, 2011 at 01:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Ryan

"There are 2 things women can't keep low enough: their weight and their voices."

July 28, 2011 at 05:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Jonas

Photoshop issues aside this all boils down to body image, self esteem and having a healthy long life. If we were all fit (for our skeletal structures) than this whole skinny, photoshop article would be a non- issue. If you do have image issues and weight issues read this.

July 28, 2011 at 10:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. alberto

she's full of it. the majority of hollywood starlettes want to be skinny and go through whatever it takes to get or stay thin and it's the truth. rosario has appeared in all of these ads, particularly calvin klein underwear and i can guarantee you she would not have been used if she didn't look as she does. so don't believe her, she knows exactly what she's doing. fat is NOT where it's at when it comes to who is shown on camera. and it never will be.

August 1, 2011 at 14:21 | Report abuse | Reply