home
RSS
Actress: I got compliments for looking emaciated
July 26th, 2011

Actress: I got compliments for looking emaciated

Actress Rosario Dawson has some pointed words about expectations on women and their bodies.

"It's a form of violence in the way that we look at women and the way we expect them to look and be for what sake? Not for health, survival, not for enjoyment of life, but just so you could look pretty," Dawson told Shape Magazine.

Dawson who appears on the August cover discussed industry-wide pressures to maintain an ideal body type.  After losing weight to play a drug addict dying of HIV/AIDS in the 2005 film "Rent," she was stunned to hear compliments about her  figure. “I remember everyone asking what did you do to get so thin? You looked great,” Dawson recalled. “I looked emaciated.”

Her video with Shape is here.

The controversies surrounding the pressure to be too thin and constant airbrushing of photos are nothing new.

“I’m constantly telling girls all the time everything is airbrushed, everything is retouched to the point it’s not even asked,” she told the magazine.  “None of us look like that."

In the competitive world of magazine covers, skin is nipped, blemishes erased and waist trimmed.  Photoshopping models and celebrities for ultra svelte bodies became a huge topic in France in 2009 when a politician proposed a law that require altered advertisement photographs to carry a label.

This year, the American Medical Association adopted a policy during its annual meeting warning that photo alteration of models’ bodies “can contribute to unrealistic expectations of appropriate body image – especially among impressionable children and adolescents.

“A large body of literature links exposure to media-propagated images of unrealistic body image to eating disorders and other child and adolescent health problems,” according to the AMA.

The group called on advertising associations to discourage altering photos that could promote unrealistic expectations of body image.

Glossy fashion magazines to even health and fitness publications routinely retouch photographs.  Is it contradictory that fitness magazines that preach healthy lifestyle retouch their models or celebrities’ photos to look skinnier?

Follow @CNNHealth on Twitter

1. dd

Rosario's got a point here. She shouldn't be getting compliments for looking sickly thin.

Also as far as nutrition and the rest of our obesity problems are concerned, I recommend people watch the movie "Fat Head."

July 27, 2011 at 10:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Joe from CT, not Lieberman

The real problem is the unrealistic body images forced on us by fashion designers. Someone like Kate Moss never projected a healthy body image, but that is the frame that fashion designers insist on using. Those same designers considered women like Cindy Crawford, Claudia Schiffer, Heidi Klum and Elle McPherson too fat to properly model their clothes. This problem actually had its origin in the 1930s when Wallis Simpson (the late Duchess of Windsor) with her infamous quote "You can never be too rich or too thin."

July 27, 2011 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • GT66

I always find this argument to be hilarious. Was she outraged to be hired for looking "emaciated"? Nope. Was she outraged at being "emaciated"? Nope. Was she outraged at the checks that paid her to be "emaciated"? Nope. But now that her career is on the wane and she's cached in on her body, *now* she's outraged at all of it. She is ridiculous and hypocritical and it is her who is the real problem. Girls see HER as the role model doing what she's doing to get the money and fame and most importantly the attention and decide that's the way to be. She could have made a stand BEFORE but no, that was making her money.

July 27, 2011 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
    • Ness1

I recommend watching "Fat Head" as well. Low carb diets are the easiest to stick to, and proven to be the most successful long term(as in, people keeping the weight off). In March I weighed 185lbs, now I weigh 156lbs and still going strong without cravings for carb loaded foods.

July 27, 2011 at 11:36 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

@GT66, Dawson became extremely thin in order to tell a story in a movie called "Rent" in which she played someone dying of AIDS. It wasn't about getting attention, it was about authenticity in her work. Her outrage is because people told her how "good" she looked while maintaining that sickly image. I say kudos to her for wanting to point out that at the time, she was anything but healthy.

July 27, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse |
    • GT66

Denizen Kate: She dieted and used her body to make money for herself. She didn't say, "Maybe we can get a real aids victim to do this?" Did she now? Nope. She was "Sure! I'll starve myself to make some money and further my career!" She's a hypocrite carefully carving out a justification for her own behaviors that she wants to paint as bad for everyone else.

July 27, 2011 at 12:00 | Report abuse |
    • playjojo

Wow GT66, you seem to be lacking a bit in common sense here. You have to take a minute and think. She was doing a movie, actresses get paid to tell a story, and as that character she had to lose weight and was offended at peoples ignorance thereof. teamroper, you're just an idiot.

July 27, 2011 at 12:01 | Report abuse |
    • Cole

GT66 has very obviously never seen RENT. She wasn't looking emaciated because she thought she looked good like that, she was emaciated looking for a character living with HIV and addicted to drugs which.. you know, make you emaciated. She wasn't glorifying looking sickeningly thin for a paycheck.

July 27, 2011 at 12:08 | Report abuse |
    • Bernie

GT66 I'm not even going to elaborate, but your argument and follow-up are logically wrong. You're spinning like the news people do.

July 27, 2011 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
    • Petej0

GT66,
      She got thin to play the role. Not sure why that point was missed.

July 27, 2011 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • Petej0

@GT66,
      "She didn't say, 'Maybe we can get a real aids victim to do this?' Did she now? Nope."

Who shall we get to play emaciated Ghandi?

July 27, 2011 at 12:21 | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

GT66: she was not hired because she looked emaciated. She became emaciated FOR THE PICTURE. She didn't look that way before, or after, filming.

She was portraying a dying drug addict! She was supposed to look unhealthy. Sometimes actors make their bodies look ugly for art. I suspect that, in spite of her emaciated look, she was monitored for health problems. A temporary starvation, carefully managed, is probably not that bad for you. What she was railing against was the idea that women would STRIVE to look like that.

July 27, 2011 at 12:28 | Report abuse |
  2. Chris

People only think stick-thin looks good because it is such a contrast to the jiggly, rippling beach balls you see waddling down the street everywhere. There are so many fat people these days, someone who is underweight looks good by comparison. Fat people have no one but themselves to blame for society having distorted body images.

July 27, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wayoutwest

Speaking as one of those so called "beach balls" I am happy! I don't ridicule those who have faults whether it be physical or mental. You have no idea why they are that way. Are you one of the perfect people Chris? I bet not. You already have displayed one of the biggest faults – egotism. I feel sorry for the special people in your life Chris. You will never be happy with anyone.

July 27, 2011 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • linda

wayoutwest – I agree with you 100%

July 27, 2011 at 11:08 | Report abuse |
    • linda

Chris, Beauty is not all about outward appearences and it's only your opinion you are nice to look at.

July 27, 2011 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • Doug

"Inner beauty" is a bunch of feel-good nonsense. Beauty is something you see, period. Saying that fat is beautiful is like saying that skin infections are beautiful.

July 27, 2011 at 11:10 | Report abuse |
    • JBMW

some people can make up for their appearance with a good personality. Chris, you might think you are "lucky" because you think you are good looking, but most people probably can't stand to be around you since your post shows how shallow you are.

July 27, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • TrK18

I don't want to tackle the beauty aspect of this but obesity is a health issue. These people make health insurance outrageously expensive for the rest of Americans. If you want to be obese that is your decision but you should have to pay significantly more for health insurance. I'm talking like 2-3 times more than healthy Americans because that is what obese people cost the system.

July 27, 2011 at 11:16 | Report abuse |
    • andrew

wayoutwest, he's correct. while you may be happy, and while we are happy for you, humans are not supposed to be that overweight. i am not sure how that became acceptable on any level. it's killing you. it's going to cause all sorts of medical complications for you down the road (maybe even now). you know all of this but you have accepted your current physical form. it's not healthy. just shed a few pounds and stop trying to be the contrarian on this topic.

July 27, 2011 at 11:16 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

What I find really funny is how fat people have convinced themselves that those of us who are fit will never be happy, for some odd reason. News flash: I am happy. And so is my girlfriend, because I can actually be on top of her without her suffocating. So you keep telling yourself that fit people are miserable, if it makes you feel better. We'll keep on being disgusted by you.

July 27, 2011 at 11:20 | Report abuse |
    • linda

Doug I am not going to argue with you – you obviously have the same problem as Chris.

July 27, 2011 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
    • bubbalou

What a miserable existence you must have, wandering around all worried about what other people look like. Try thinking about something constructive. Might open up a whole new world for you.

July 27, 2011 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor

Speaking as someone who is a size 2 and still feels fat Chris I say screw you. Yes I think people should be healthy but I have struggled for years with always wanting to be thinner . Advocate health not emaciation because all those images you see of models really do have an impact on girls self esteem.

July 27, 2011 at 11:24 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Linda – Being fit is not a problem. Again, why are fat people so desperate to convince themselves that attractive people must be unhappy? Is it just because they are so depressed, they assume everyone else must be? It's weird.

July 27, 2011 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • linda

Taylor – best reply yet!

July 27, 2011 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
    • linda

Chris – I never said fit people are unhappy.

July 27, 2011 at 11:29 | Report abuse |
    • D

Chris, the problem is any message you are trying to send or point you are trying to make is hidden by immaturity. If you just want to insult fat people, fine, feel free as its your choice to do so. But if you are trying to make a point about something, acting like a 7 year old is not doing much to further your cause.

July 27, 2011 at 11:31 | Report abuse |
    • L.A. Voter

Wow, hostile and ignorant much?

July 27, 2011 at 11:31 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Linda – fine, maybe I should clarify: why is it "shallow" to appreciate physical beauty? It's completely natural. And fat people are not beautiful. It may not be polite or nice to say, but that's how it is, I'm sorry.

July 27, 2011 at 11:31 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

@TrK18, newsflash: many fatties DO pay more for health insurance, if they can get insured at all. Consider: Type II Diabetes is a result of excess sugar and fat. Do you think a person with that condition will pay the same for health care coverage as a fit and healthy person? I realize this is not a universal truth, but those of us with chronic health problems are forced to pay more for coverage, whether those conditions are our "fault" or not.

July 27, 2011 at 11:49 | Report abuse |
    • eyes

Chris and other haters,
      No other human being exists merely for your viewing pleasure. If you don't like what you see, you have a choice: look away. You don't need to make harsh moral judgements, just look away. Look down at your own body which you are so proud of, that should bring a smile back to your face and put a spring in your step.

There are all kinds of people with health issues "draining the health system" who don't happen to wear it on the outside of their body. Stop painting a group of people with such a wide brush. You don't have any idea how those people ended up getting big. There is a lot of real science out there now supporting a whole lot of reasons why obesity is such an issue now worldwide (now wherever there is affluence, there is obesity). Ever heard this word? Compassion.

July 27, 2011 at 11:50 | Report abuse |
    • AC

Chris: Newsflash, people hate the truth. Obesity is unhealthy, sugar causes Diabete II and they die, sucking away precious resources daily. But they will fight you tooth and nail to maintain that they are "thrilled with life." Sorry, but they have a disease as blatant as alcoholism, yet Americans want you to be "sensitive" to fat people's needs. Sorry, but they need physical and possible mental health treatment or they will die young. I agree with you and I also think it's time fat people stop hiding behind "well you don't know why I am fat." Yes, I do. Being a part of medicine, I can honestly say there is about 1% of the population that have legitimate medical problems that cause them to be overweight. The rest of the 99% can't step away from the cookies. It's sad and only getting worse. I sympathize with Tesla in the fact that I don't trust fat people. If they can look in the mirror and lie to themselves, what kind of lies are they going to tell me?

July 27, 2011 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • Blue

Chris, don't you know that you can't say something like this without people attacking you with the old 'no one likes you' and 'you must be secretly miserable'? No one wants the truth because it's much easier to lie to ourselves to justify our behavior (eating badly or too much and not being active). I am sure some overweight folks are happy... until they have to visit a doctor. I understand not wanting to lose weight and get fit to make someone else happy, but why wouldn't you want to do it for yourself and your health?

July 27, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
    • OldGoat

Judging by the number and nature of the replies to Chris' statement, I guess s/he's right: there are a lot of blubber-belly types who are convinced there's nothing wrong with themselves.

Aside from being unattractive, obesity is a serious risk to one's health. Also, overweight people use a disproportionate share of health care resources and drive of the costs for everyone else. I resent having to pay higher health insurance premiums because some fat*ss is too lazy or indifferent to maintain a sensible weight.

July 27, 2011 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • Fudgemonkey

That is the dumbest assertion I've heard in regard to this issue. Blaming fat people for the airbrushing and trimming of perfectly healthy women on magazine covers makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. While no one can argue that Americans are overweight on the whole, that is a completely separate issue. clothing designers and modeling agencies started hiring sickly thin women in the late 80's and early 90's. A healthy woman, with natural curves, was looked at as "chubby" comparatively. If anything, the propagation of these airbrushed stick figures has contributed to women having lower self-esteem, because they wrongly believe that is what men find attractive. It is a fallacy. Women and men alike, need to understand that we all have a different genetic makeup, and we should strive to be healthy....not thin.

July 27, 2011 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
    • AC

Deniz. Type II diabetes is your fault. Do not mix it up with Type I. Type one people have an awful disease from early in childhood that can kill them and they can not do anything about it. Type II is the result of shoving globfuls of sugar down your throat for years on end. Oh and it goes easily into remission with guess....wait for it....Diet and exercise. I'm sick of fat people using type II diabetes as an excuse. It should not be classified as a disease, it should simply be called a symptom of daily sugar overdose.

July 27, 2011 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
    • tls

"What I find really funny is how fat people have convinced themselves that those of us who are fit will never be happy, for some odd reason. "

You sound silly and petty. I don't know one single overweight person who has this nonsensical belief that you have convinced yourself exists. As an overweight person who is actively making changes to lead a healthy lifestyle, it sounds ridiculous that I would be doing such if I believed that fit people will never be happy. That just sounds dumb. But I get it that you have to convince yourself of such nonsense in order to maintain your sense of superiority that you think you have over fat people. You probably very well are disgusted with people you deem to have a less than ideal shape/size. And at the same time you are not even remotely interested in seeing those "disgusting people" make the changes necessary to get out of that state because it would be too severe a blow to your fragile ego. You need fat people to stay fat in order to maintain your own self worth. That is what is truly sad.

July 27, 2011 at 12:01 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Really, tls? You didn't read those comments from the fat people saying to me, "You will never be happy with anyone," and "you must be miserable"? Just because I am fit, and I like looking at attractive people and not whales? They have to convince themselves that we are as miserable as they are, when in truth, we are not.

July 27, 2011 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
    • Erika

Ok, so maybe Chris may sound a little "shallow" but that's his opinion and preference to not like the appearance of over weight and unhealthy people, so be it! I don't like looking at overweight people all day either, or have to be behind them as the weez and struggle to climb a flight of stairs because they are so out of shape. Health, not "skinny" needs to be promoted. Im a size 6, that's probably about as small as I will ever be, but I am in extremely awesome shape, hike, bike, swim, live a very active lifestyle, eat very healthy, with the occasional Ice cream nights. I get tons of compliments on my looks and body all the time, and I don't think Im anything that spectacular, but I am healthy, and that's what most people compliment on, not that I can squeeze into a size zero bikini, its that no matter what I am wearing, I look healthy! So to say "healthy good looking" people must be unhappy is kind of stupid. I am in the shape I am in because of the things I do that make me happy. But its the lifestyle that I like and enjoy, being active, being outdoors, not being sick or feeling crappy because I am out of shape or eating poorly.

July 27, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Oh lol, tls. You just did it yourself. You say I need fat people to maintain my self-worth... thereby, you're convincing yourself that I MUST have some sort of self-esteem issues because I value physical attractiveness. I assure you, I don't. I honestly don't care if fat people stay fat or get skinny, it has no effect on me. I just don't have to enjoy looking at them.

July 27, 2011 at 12:08 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

@AT: I suggest you work on improving your reading comprehension skills. Where in my post did I state that I, personally, have Type II Diab etes? My chronic condition is ulcerative colitis. I was using diabetes as an example of a condition caused by excess sugar and fat for which many overweight people pay higher health care premiums. Your response was disproportionally vicious and completely uncalled for.

July 27, 2011 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
    • Yep

Chris, I have to reply to you since it seems that you are the only genuine one in this little argument. While your tactics could use a little more finesse, you are absolutely correct. Humans were not meant to be fat. It is unnatural for humans to be fat and your body tells you this with the health problems and problems walking and sitting, etc. Fat people feel they need to be represented and for some reason, we here in the U.S. are being forced to accept fat people. This makes no sense since fat people really are a bane to our society and economy. Of course the industry that caters to fat people is ever expanding beyond the billions, it does not make it okay. If these stores did not carry the huge sizes for these fat people, there would be a problem. This country needs to fight back against the fat ones who would otherwise oppress us and force us to accept their fatness as an inalienable right and that is not fair to the rest of us. It's good to be healthy, people are more productive and have less medical expenses. Fat people need to be made to realize that the fault of being overweight lies within themselves and nowhere else. Just because fast food restaurants serve unhealthy food doesn't mean you have to eat there. Fat people stop blaming others for your plight and start fixing the problem. You will feel better and look better.

July 27, 2011 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

Chris, you are COMPLETELY off base. This article isn't about "fit" people, it's about the media and society encouraging this idea that being unhealthfully thin is attractive. Rosario Dawson wasn't fit when she was filming for RENT, she didn't have nice toned muscles, for her role she had to become EMACIATED. There is a huge difference. And before you start calling me a "beachball" let me assure, you, I am not. I am currently 5'2" and 115 lbs, clothing size 2. Several years ago I weighed 100 lbs. Not quite sickly considering I'm short, but it was certainly not healthy – I had very little body fat and was always cold, no matter how warm it was. Even though my bones were protruding from my body and I really did look too thin, I got a lot of compliments and attention from others asking how I stayed so thin. Now that I'm a more healthy weight I realize just how sad that is. I think everyone can agree that being physically fit is the ideal, but just like being overweight/obese, being underweight isn't healthy either, and promoting the expectation of an emaciated body type can lead impressionable young women (and men!) to poor body image, damaged self esteem, and even anorexia or bulemia.

July 27, 2011 at 12:34 | Report abuse |
    • dcn8v

@ Doug- I know some guys I originally thought were stunningly handsome, only to get to know them and find their personalities were ugly. Presto chango- I no longer think they're good looking at all. Unless you're completely shallow, inner beauty has a lot to do with it.

July 27, 2011 at 12:34 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Exactly, Kelly, and that brings me back to my original point. The reason people were saying you looked so good at 100 lbs is because they're so used to seeing people at 250 lbs. Being skinny is almost a shocking rarity these days, because everyone is getting so fat, and no one seems to care.

July 27, 2011 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Ahhh, Chris, "Skinny" and "Fat" are elusive terms. One man's "Fat" is another's "Skinny". If you are 1lb more than I, That's right, Your Fatter than me and therefore you are a FAT person! Welcome to the problem Fat Man!!

"Inner Beauty" my friend is another of those terms – using words to attack people of difference is ugly and, that's right again, internally, in your mind, you've got some serious "Inner Ugly".

Praise the "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" theory and we all can work on the rest from there.

July 27, 2011 at 12:40 | Report abuse |
    • tls

"Really, tls? "
      Yes, really.

"You didn't read those comments from the fat people saying to me, "You will never be happy with anyone," and "you must be miserable"? Just because I am fit, and I like looking at attractive people and not whales? They have to convince themselves that we are as miserable as they are, when in truth, we are not."

You are purposefully misconstruing the responses to your original and subsequent posts. Your fitness level has nothing to do with why people pity you. Your personal tastes and desires for people who share your physical attributes has nothing to do with why people pity you. Your need to castigate and ridicule people who fall outside your narrowly defined box of "attractiveness" is what people pity you for. We all have our tastes and preferences. There is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with trying to encourage everyone to make healthier lifestyle choices. But browbeating, shaming, and being abusive is not only un-necessary, but counterproductive.

"You just did it yourself. You say I need fat people to maintain my self-worth... thereby, you're convincing yourself that I MUST have some sort of self-esteem issues because I value physical attractiveness."

Again, you are being willfully obtuse. My pity for you has nothing to do with your personal preferences. I am not offended that you find thinness attractive. My pity for you stems from your need to dehumanize those that do not fit your ideal of what is attractive. There really is no need to do such a thing unless your self esteem was tied to it. What other purpose does it serve to tell someone that they disgust you because you don't find their body attractive. I understand that this a free country and you have every right to state your prerogative. But as someone who doesn't find much value in speaking if I don't have anything meaningful to say, I'm struggling to understand what purpose it serves to tell someone that they disgust you because of their size.

July 27, 2011 at 12:41 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Well, long story short, tls, it's the internet and I can. That's why.

July 27, 2011 at 12:53 | Report abuse |
    • Cat

This whole conversation makes me laugh. I love how fat people are oppressing fit people. Best argument yet. But seriously, come on people. I never understand why this argument happens. People like different things. To say a fat person is ugly is a matter of opinion as well as to say a stick thin person is ugly. I don't think it's shallow for someone to say these things either. Rather, I think the people having an issue with it are overly sensitive because they feel bad about themselves and someone is calling light to it. I'm not fit myself but I don't get upset when someone decides to degrade fat people either. Move on. If you're happy with what you look like you wouldn't feel the need to get so defensive. As for the topic of the article, I do feel is a shame that people were giving her compliments when she did look sickly. But then again, beauty is a matter of opinion.

July 27, 2011 at 12:56 | Report abuse |
    • Shantilly

TO ALL OF YOU 🙂

This whole string of comments makes me laugh. I laughed so much, I shared it with other people so I could laugh with them.

Have to agree with Chris... if the whole place is sporting a bunch of 300lbs whales... a sickly, drug addicted person is going to look attractive. Aside from that... there is NO EXCUSE to be morbidly obese. Get off the sofa, put down the cookie, and go take a walk. You'd be surprised what a daily 20 min walk can do for you. Not only will you gradually look better, but you won't die an early preventable death.

July 27, 2011 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

OMG Chris, promoting one unhealthy extreeme vs. another isn't going to get us as a society any healthier. Being emaciated is still not healthy! At my current (healthy!) body weight I'm still thin/fit looking, especially in comparison to these 250 lb women you claim to be constantly coming across (exagerate much?), and yet I get far fewer compliments on my body than I did when my ribs and hips were protruding and my hair was falling out because I was so under nourished. It doesn't make sense for someone to view the way I once looked as "good" – I looked ill.

July 27, 2011 at 13:05 | Report abuse |
    • tls

"Well, long story short, tls, it's the internet and I can. That's why."

I pretty much figured that would be the extent of your argument. Good luck to you.

July 27, 2011 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Really, Kelly? You think 250 lbs. is an exaggeration? I live in the second-skinniest state in the US, according to a recent study, and STILL three out of four, or more, women in my office are well over two bills. It's very disturbing. I would hate to see what Alabama, or one of the heavier states, is like.

July 27, 2011 at 13:12 | Report abuse |
    • Shantilly

tls - You act as if you've never insulted a person. Considering you've found the need to tell Chris you pity him for having an opinion. What purpose did that serve other than to belittle him for having an opinion you didn't agree with?

July 27, 2011 at 13:12 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Shantilly – Oh, pay tls no mind. There are several types of people on the internet: people like me, who like to pose a blunt and unpopular viewpoint to foster a lively conversation; and people like tls, who are bent on proving to the rest of the internet just how evolved and cultured they are. Unfortunately, people like tls just end up coming off as wet blankets, and needlessly pretentious.

July 27, 2011 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
    • Shantilly

you forgot unbelievably hypocritical...

July 27, 2011 at 13:21 | Report abuse |
    • tls

"tls – You act as if you've never insulted a person. Considering you've found the need to tell Chris you pity him for having an opinion. What purpose did that serve other than to belittle him for having an opinion you didn't agree with?"

I certainly don't act as if I've never insulted a person. Apparently, I insult or offend Chris and you simply by existing. Oh well. And for at least the third time, I am not offended by Chris' or anyone else's opinion on what they find attractive. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. What puzzles me is the need to dehumanize someone by telling them they are disgusting simply because their size is more than you care for. I am not belittling him for his opinion. However, I do find his abusive treatment just as disgusting as he finds me. If he is okay with belittling people, I am okay with pitying him. I think it's a fair trade off.

July 27, 2011 at 13:26 | Report abuse |
    • tls

"Chris

July 27, 2011 at 13:16 | Report abuse |
      Shantilly
      you forgot unbelievably hypocritical..."

Well thank you. I've been called worse by better people. However, what I find hypocritical, and quite amusing is the need to complain when someone challenges you being intentionally offensive. You have every right to your opinion. I have every right to mine, even if that means that I have an opinion about your opinion. As you said, to make a long story short, it's the internet. And I can.

July 27, 2011 at 13:34 | Report abuse |
    • Shantilly

😉 awwwwwww sorry for that, tls

I just wanted to show you that you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing him of 🙂 End of story

July 27, 2011 at 13:34 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

So, tls, where do you draw the line between honesty and "abuse"?

July 27, 2011 at 13:37 | Report abuse |
    • tls

"I just wanted to show you that you're doing the exact same thing you're accusing him of "

Umm, my opinion is that I don't agree with your assertion. Oh well. Such is life.

"End of story"

Perhaps for you. Good luck to you.

July 27, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • tls

"So, tls, where do you draw the line between honesty and "abuse"?"

I have to ask myself what purpose does the statement or action serve. Please be clear, I am not at all offended that you do not find fat people attractive. But for me, it is perfectly adequate to say just that – "I do not find fat people attractive. I prefer a thin and physically fit physique." To say that fat people disgust you reeks of meanness and cruelty. And I freely admit I am a bit more sensitive because of past treatment by people like you. Please believe me when I tell you that most fat people are painfully aware of their size. They are also aware of the looks of disgust and we hear the whispers and comments. We don't exist to make your life miserable and it's not our intent to disgust you to point of you having hard time keeping down your last meal. And most of us have tried multiple times to not be the beached whale that you find so revolting. I can only speak for myself in this regard, but I hold no one but myself responsible for my current physical state. I know exactly what I did to get me here. And I know exactly what it takes to get me to where I want/need to be. And that is exactly what I am doing. But as I said before, hearing comments like the ones you posted earlier and being mistreated in public is so counterproductive. I know that you said you don't care whether fat people lose weight or not, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't be appreciative if you didn't have to look at so many fat people. I'm not saying you have to go out and make friends with a bunch fatties to help make the world a better place. But telling someone they are disgusting, or treating them as such is not doing anything to help the situation.

Honesty is saying "I don't find fat attractive. I prefer thin." Abuse is using dehumanizing language such as "disgusting." It is an attempt to devalue someone's worth.

Sorry if I come off as a "wet blanket."

July 27, 2011 at 14:03 | Report abuse |
  3. Wzrd1

I'd LOVE to see how they'd retouch a photo of me. I'm 50, 5' 9" tall and 195 pounds.
    Frankly, I'd enjoy a good laugh at my new, trim physique photograph, then knock the retoucher to the ground and sit on them.

July 27, 2011 at 10:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • @Wzrd1

being proud of being overweight is just as dumb as being proud as being underweight

July 27, 2011 at 10:54 | Report abuse |
    • tedwilliams

or you could just lose a few pounds

July 27, 2011 at 10:57 | Report abuse |
    • Rob Allen

I'm 51, 5'9", and weigh about 150 lbs. The same as I have weighed for over 30 years. Of course it is a lot of work, I work out or run (between 4 – 10 miles) every single week. Being overweight comes from laziness. You only have one body/life.

July 27, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
    • Zeke2112

That much weight at 50 is an enormous risk factor for heart disease and diabetes. You might focus more energy on avoiding an early death.

July 27, 2011 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
  4. BeHappyNotAngry

I've seen a lot of comments about how "Expensive" it is to eat healthy, which is a huge misconception that some of you should really rethink. Organic foods ARE SUPER expensive... True. But healthy foods don't have to be. Whole grain pasta, oatmeal, multigrain bread, brown rice, frozen or fresh fruit & vegetables, beans, eggs etc. etc. do not have to break the bank if you find items on sale and eat a moderate serving size. Furthermore, if you chose to eat meat for dinner only 4 or even 5 times a week, instead of for every single meal, that would help too. I think a lot of Americans don't read labels and in some cases (especially if you grow up in a single parent home like I did) parents will opt to take their kids out for McDonalds or (insert other fatty food place here) a few times a week because its kind of fun for their kid and they get to spend more time hanging out with them than cooking. The more comments I read on this article (and almost every other one), the more I realize that moderation is a dirty word in the states and its a shame.

July 27, 2011 at 10:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SD

Actually, in some areas of the country eating healthy is more expensive than eating junk food. In rural areas of the mid-west, healthy food is so expensive that its a wonder why the stores stock them at all. For example, a loaf of white bread is $1.50 while a loaf of wheat (the one made with no actual wheat flour) is $4.00 and Whole Wheat is $6.00.

July 27, 2011 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    • BeHappyNotAngry

SD, I can understand that. I merely meant that its relative. Prices vary on a lot of things, but opting for beans or whole grains is sometimes a better choice than the hot pockets that are on sale 3 for $5. In a perfect world there would be more transparency in the food industry... but we all know that is just never going to happen. At the end of the day, I feel like food may be the only thing I have control over, (and I say that with an uncomfortable reluctance and apprehension because even that is not 100% true)...

July 27, 2011 at 11:12 | Report abuse |
    • Kerry

SD – $6.00 for a loaf of whole wheat bread? I live in the midwest and I've never seen that, I only buy 100% whole wheat and never pay more than 2.00.

July 27, 2011 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

A good bit of advice I received long ago is to shop the outer margins of the supermarket. That's where the produce, meats, and dairy products are usually located. Stay out of the isles as much as possible, since that's where they stock the overly processed and packaged foods. Sometimes, I manage to make that work for me. Nobody's perfect.

July 27, 2011 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
  5. classwar20

stupidity has no cure.

July 27, 2011 at 10:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. johnmclaugh

Guys that buy $50,000 cars get all the compliments and attention while a $5,000 car will make you look like a loser in the eyes of our society. Everyone gets their own kinda pressure ladies. Deal with it or get out of the spotlight.

July 27, 2011 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ZysPsyk

You buy a $50,000 car to enjoy driving, to ride in style. Chicks digging it is just a side effect. Chances are a $5000 car is also a beat up piece of sh!t..just take care of your vehicle.

July 27, 2011 at 11:01 | Report abuse |
    • wayoutwest

You said it John. Everyone has their own problems. So, if those who admire the $50,000 car will leave those who drive the $5,000 one alone then it would be alright. We can deal with that! But, those $50,000 admirers like nothing better than blasting those with less. They won't leave those with less alone!!

July 27, 2011 at 11:02 | Report abuse |
    • JBMW

That's the dumbest thing I have ever read.

July 27, 2011 at 11:16 | Report abuse |
    • GT66

$5,000 for a car!? WOW, you must be one of the Koch brothers. My current car was $250.

July 27, 2011 at 11:38 | Report abuse |
    • johnmclaugh

ZysPsyk: Thanks for the advise

wayoutwest: True that

JBMW: You must be an obese woman. Good luck in life!

GT66: I never said I drove a $5000 car but $250 sounds like a sweet deal!

July 27, 2011 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • Ezzy

So I must be one of those really annoying people, because I drive an 80K, why, because I love it, and can afford it!

July 27, 2011 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

@GT66, what make/model/year of car did you get for $250? This is not a trick question; I really am curious.

July 27, 2011 at 12:24 | Report abuse |
    • dcn8v

Hmmmm... I look at a guy in a $50,000 car and think, "Small !"

July 27, 2011 at 12:44 | Report abuse |
    • johnmclaugh

Ezzy i never said people like you were annoying but you just kinda did.

@GT66 i think that guy is full of s**t. unless he lives in jamaica. then it totally makes sense.

dcn8v its called jealousy.

July 27, 2011 at 13:10 | Report abuse |
  7. ZysPsyk

Now that is one smoking hot chick!

July 27, 2011 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. steeve-o

The persons complimenting her were probably being facetious. Dunno if she thought about that or not.

July 27, 2011 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • L.A. Voter

Yes, there is no doubt that since you weren't there, and don't know the people involved, you know better than Rosario Dawson does what their intent was. Women are so silly...

Now THAT was being facetious. Actually, more like contemptuous.

July 27, 2011 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
  9. Point of the Article

When I graduated college and began planning my wedding, I realized I needed to lose weight. And I did, a lot of it, and fast. Lived on diet Pepsi, coffee and cigarettes and in 6 months I was 5'9" and weighed 108 lbs and wearing a size 00 from Abercrombie. All I heard was how great I looked and asked for advice... FROM WOMEN. My male friends and husband were scared and disgusted. Finally, my husband had had enough after seeing me get out of the shower one morning. He said I looked like Mr. Burns naked (Simpsons reference). You could see every bone in my body through my skin, and I thought I looked great! And all the compliments! Over time, I've gotten myself up to 125-130, size 2-4. I still struggle with body image.
    My husband and I eat very healthy, and will admit, it is more expensive. We both have great jobs and no kids, so we can afford to. But I do believe that people can make small changes that make a big difference, with effort. What does a pizza cost these days? $10 – $12? Buy some boneless, skinless chicken and make a salad. Whole wheat pasta. Turkey burgers and frozen veggies. It can be done.

July 27, 2011 at 11:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tumblewind

You are so right. I think you're totally on-point. After kids & breast-feeding, I finally got skinny. (Go figure.) My husband told me I looked emaciated, but I got compliments in clothes when we went anywhere, so I kept dieting. I was a fat teen, so I thought skinny was good, without taking into account my unique body type. I've now gained 10-15 lbs. and look much better. but only my pants don't fit. (I hate giving them away, but I don't want to be that skinny again.) My arms & legs still look I've been starved. We just have to dress to compliment what nature gave us and eat to be healthy..

July 27, 2011 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
  10. Roy Mabe,Jr.

I think Rosario Dawson is right-looks are overstated in Hollywood-and the CBS sitcom"Mike & Molly", about a plus -sized couple and their problems,is a very good show.

July 27, 2011 at 11:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • linda

I love the show too ... and goes along with a comment I made earlier and inner beauty.

July 27, 2011 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
    • OldGoat

"Plus size" is a euphemism for overweight—fat, in other words. Enough with this "inner beauty" nonsense! There is nothing beautiful about being flabby and resembling the Michelin Man.

July 28, 2011 at 10:36 | Report abuse |
  11. Tumblewind

If you're not a model, when you're thin people tell you you are "too thin." People have such varying body types. My weight only goes to my hips & thighs, and my limbs still look emaciated. I can't help it. I'm also a healthy eater, a "fish-a-tarian", so I stay slim. But people are always asking if I'm sick & tell me to gain weight. Well, then I just look like a hip-heavy pear. When will people realize that models are an unnatural body type, and realize we are all different shapes!

July 27, 2011 at 11:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Angela Jones

I am so happy that Rosario came forward and spoke her truth because honestly...this is not new news!!! It is common sense, no one wakes up and looks like they do on the cover of a magazine, EVERYTHING is airbrushed, even with Cindy Crawford. Yet, people, especially our youth don't even question what they see. They just look at a magazine cover and believe that is what they look like and instantly become down on themselves. So the more celebrities and public figures who come out and share this, the better. I work with a team called Perfectly UnPerfected Program (PUP) part of Healthy is the New Skinny. We are a group of models, considered PLUS size in the industry, who speak to high schools and college students about the influence the media has on our own self worth, we share our stories and the kids love it. They can relate to us. We challenge each and every one of them to question what they see in the movies, on tv and in magazines. To think for themselves, stand up for themselves. There are a series of ads for Yoplait airing right now that have me so furious..I won't buy Yoplait products again. If I do my part, if the consumer does their part, their will be a change, we just have to let our voices heard. Thank you to Rosario for being real, honest, and for having a healthy outlook on life. You have no idea how many lives you just touched by sharing just this little piece of advice.

July 27, 2011 at 11:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jojobuckeye

Good for you Angela 🙂 We need more people to be good influences for our youth.

July 27, 2011 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  13. Geezer

I agree that skinny sometimes can go too far, however, for the vast majority of women that's not a problem. Then you got the other side of overfed hogs who can't keep their forks out of their mouths. In addition they want to belittle women who are healthy and don't look like the goodyear blimp. These sows really should stop trying to re-image themselves into rubenesque or bbw or whatever other euphemism they like to hide their fat rolls.

July 27, 2011 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • L.A. Voter

Must be nice, spending your day looking for places online to post your hostile, misogynistic rants against women you don't even know, who never did one thing to you except not give you the time of day. I guess I'd be mad too...

July 27, 2011 at 11:40 | Report abuse |
    • Geezer

They have done nothing to me other than offend my senses by huffing and puffing in the elevator with their triple cheese burger in one sausage fingered hand and a diet coke in the other while wearing so much perfume in order to distract from their fat rolls.

July 27, 2011 at 12:00 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

Wow. Geezer, take a chill pill or something. Your comments are so hateful. Why are you so vicious? Did a fat lady hurt you?

July 27, 2011 at 12:45 | Report abuse |
    • Geezer

Yes, they make my eyes bleed.

July 27, 2011 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
  14. Typinator

Having dealt personally with anorexics and bulimics I can say with a great deal of confidence that eating disorders and/or body image obsession are just symptoms of a much larger mental/emotional issue. Trying to deal with the symptom only overlooks the cause and the problem remains. Many variables in life put pressure on how and what we eat. Media influences are only one. I saw socio-economic status mentioned and that would be another one. If a parent saw you as a legitimate target for releasing their rage, well that's another one. My point is – no simple answers.

July 27, 2011 at 11:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jlsppw

Although this is a noble point, I live in southern cal & have two daughters one of which is a model. From what I see the pressure that is put on women regarding their looks (in any capacity) is done by women themselves. I'm one of the fortunate few that have "invested" in the sanity of my daughters & do the diligence of telling them that they are perfect the way God made them. Regardless of what society perceives, that carries immense weight/value coming from a father. However, there are a number of vocations out there that carry "requirements" and un-fortunately TV, modeling & Movies are some of them. Everything marketed is all about the S word (I’m sure that's known by now). At 50 years old I find it unbelievable that women choose to do some of the things they do to their bodies...

July 27, 2011 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Donny

If your mental health & sense of self is intrinisically tied to the fluctuating and vapid trends of the advertising industry (which are so obvious to anyone with an ounce of intelligence), the problem is not the advertising industry...the problem is YOU.

July 27, 2011 at 11:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Derp

Said with all the insight and wisdom on the subject of a man.

July 27, 2011 at 11:30 | Report abuse |
    • GT66

Derp "Said with all the insight and wisdom on the subject of a man."

Said with all the insight and wisdom of a dumb broad who thinks "do as I say not as I do" is a real workable philosophy. This bimbo was fine with the whole thing while the checks were coming in and the attention was there now after the fact she wants to fein outrage. Well sister, she gave up her right to be outraged when she made the choice to take the money.

July 27, 2011 at 11:42 | Report abuse |
    • Derp

@GT66- Comment had nothing to do with the article. Article illustrates that looking like Skeletor will gain you complements, regardless of whether or not you look like you are a stage 4 cancer patient, or appropriately, dying of HIV/ AIDS. This post was in about letting advertising/ media dictate self worth or ideal body images, which IS a prevalent state of affairs for women.

July 27, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse |
  17. Jean

Amen, sister. Thanks for saying these things out loud.

July 27, 2011 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. GT66

She claims we are bombarded by the images. Yet, these images exist because ALL those women CHOSE to do it for the money. She obviously wants it to be her choice to do whatever she likes to profit from her body and collect a paycheck but then actively seeks to divest herself of responsibility for her own choices and behaviors. A classic do as I say not as I do hypocrite. Bad person. Bad role model for girls.

July 27, 2011 at 11:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • random person

She took a role depicting an emaciated, dying drug addict. She wasn't trying to make being stick-thin look good, it was supposed to look *unhealthy*, which is why she was surprised when people started complimenting her.

July 27, 2011 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • Danny

@ GT66
      Did you even read the article??

July 27, 2011 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
  19. Pippa

Way to look egotistical, judgemental, and shallow on the internet, Chris. I hope someday you'll learn to look past all of these "eyesores" and get over your thin little self. In the meantime, I hope your girlfriend leaves you for a "fat" guy with a heart of gold, as that's something you apparently lack.

July 27, 2011 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Truth

Too all BBW and "rubenesque" women: Keep the for out of your mouth you sow and don't worry about women referred to in this article.

July 27, 2011 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wisco30

You are so disgusting.

July 27, 2011 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • Geezer

Ok, I should have lied and said that we don't care about the fat rolls and greasy sweat on your body, we like you for who you are.

July 27, 2011 at 12:10 | Report abuse |
  21. L.A. Voter

Now THAT was being facetious. Actually, more like contemptuous.

July 27, 2011 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Geezer

My guess: you're just another fat hog yourself.

July 27, 2011 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
    • Bored Now

Geezer – You're an idiot.

July 27, 2011 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
  22. Denizen Kate

"Is it contradictory that fitness magazines that preach healthy lifestyle retouch their models or celebrities’ photos to look skinnier?" Duh.

July 27, 2011 at 11:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Taylor

No one seems to be staying on topic... but I always knew I liked Rosario. I think she is stunning (before weight loss and such). I would also like to see labels on ads stating "this has been photoshopped" or something. Its the same thing with food advertisements. If you are showing a Lean Cusine you actually have to use a Lean Cusine meal in the photograph, you are legally not allowed to jazz up the actual meal, just stage it. The same should go for ads with models showing off a new mascara or whatever you are buying.

July 27, 2011 at 11:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dcn8v

Taylor, that's an excellent idea. I'd also like to see that label on retouched pictures.

July 27, 2011 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
  24. McClure

I think most posts here are missing the point. It's not about whether being skinny is bad or good, per se. Or even about whether or not people should eat healthy. It's about the fact that not even the models, the ones we supposedly put up on a pedastal for their extreme beauty, look the way they are portrayed in magazines. NO ONE DOES. That is the problem. We have created a fictional "perfect" for young people to look to as their goals. So, when young people strive to imitate these bodies, it is IMPOSSIBLE. They are impossible waist to hip ratios, impossible unblemished skin, etc. So we set them up for failure from the beginning. This results in two very different extremes, one is people starving themselves, loading themselves up with the newest diet pills that are to be their salvation, doing real, lasting and sometimes fatal damage to their bodies. On the other are people who give up, because they will never look that way, so why even try? They might even gain weight because they eat emotionally from a sense of guilt and failure for not looking the way NO ONE DOES. The real problem here is the lies we have allowed to infiltrate into our society...where no one calls these thigns fiction, we are meant to believe they are REAL, and it is extremely destructive. (And don't even get me started on all the articles on how X actress lost all her baby weight in only 6 weeks, and therefore so should we....only while working fulltime, with no personal trainer, no personal chef and no nanny!) We need to start requiring our media to be honest about what they are showing!

July 27, 2011 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GT66

No offense, but I think you've missed the point as well. ALL of the women that participate in this activity, from the models, to the female advertisers, to the female photographers, to the female magazine editors and on and on seem to be just peachy with this system as long as the money is there. *SOME* women seem to want to decry this activity as bad while actively avoiding the fact that WOMEN themselves make up and participate in this with no issue what-so-ever. Even this Dawson person illustrates the hypocrisy of it all. She didn't seem to be outraged enough not to take the job. She didn't seem to be outraged enough to refuse the paychecks. But now, now all of a sudden she wants to warn us of the dangers of this industry. I call BS. Her time to protest was BEFORE not AFTER she took the job and collected the money.

July 27, 2011 at 11:49 | Report abuse |
    • McClure

GT66,
      It doesn't have anything to do with whether or not women are involved in the industry or not. Men are also airbrushed. The point is that they ARE NOT REAL. But they pretend that they are, so people who are not as jaded and cynical as many of us have become think that these are attainable goals! Even knowing that these pictures are totally fake, I have to remind myself over and over when looking at the picture of a beautiful person that they do not actually REALLY look like that. There is no point in casting blame between genders here. The fact is this is a real problem and we need to fix it.

July 27, 2011 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • Danny

@ GT66 – The job was to look like a dying AIDS patient. She wasn't posing for Cosmo. I could see your point if she was doing this to fit into a dress or to model a line of clothing. But, that wasn't the case here.

July 27, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

Excellent point.

July 27, 2011 at 12:12 | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

@GT66 – Your logic makes no sense. She wasn't complaining that she needed to lose weight for the role – she was OK with the temporary weight loss in order to better play her character who had AIDS and was drug addicted. That is the reality of acting, sometimes actors must alter their appearance in order to play certain roles. Her point was that while she became incredibly unhealthy looking she began getting compliments about how thin she was – which goes to show that there is a disconnect within our society regarding what "healthy" and "good" looks like.

July 27, 2011 at 12:51 | Report abuse |
  25. wondrcat

All of you spreading fat hate are nothing more than pathetic morons. There is NO place ANYWHERE on this planet for you stupid morons.

July 27, 2011 at 11:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GT66

There's no place for us on this planet cuz all the fatties are taking up so much space. Put down the Doritos and eat an apple for God's sake.

July 27, 2011 at 11:51 | Report abuse |
    • AC

Haha, agree with the comment above. Stop whining and start walking.

July 27, 2011 at 12:03 | Report abuse |
    • Geezer

Mongo angry. Mongo go and eat.

July 27, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
  26. roxane

The modeling industry should go bakc to the 90's when models looked realistic. Cimny Crowford, Claudia Schiffer those models were size 4 or 6 when did the industry take a turn for the worse?? Perhaps the designers require stick model so they don't spend to much on material...

July 27, 2011 at 11:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Gillian

@ the person who was so eloquent on how much money Ms. Dawson made looking emaciated and how she should have thought of this then: HELLO! She was portraying an AIDS patient! They aren't supposed to look good as they're dying. She is an actress not a fashion model or a fitness trainer. When she isn't playing a person with a terminal illness she has a healthy shape. Get a grip on reality!

July 27, 2011 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GT66

Same difference. The point is she has no problem using and abusing her body to make money for herself. You can slice and dice the logic however you want it still comes up with her being a hypocrite trying to speak out against an activity she herself willingly participates in and exploits for money.

July 27, 2011 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
  28. Steve Arnold

I love Rosario but she did go a bit diva-ballistic here. As someone said, either you refuse the money and make your stand, or you take the money and shut up. But you can't take the money, complain about it and still seem credible. BTW it's not Rosario's looks that make her popular, it's her cute personality. That's not to take anything away in the looks dept. though, she IS hot. Can't wait to see her take on some really challenging roles that aren't based on her good looks.

I have two young daughters who read 17 magazine. The magazine sells by creating an unattainable goal and it generates a negative self-image. Well I read comic books at that age, which aren't exactly great literature either. Kids need to know how to take things with a grain of salt. You can get some fashion ideas from those magazines, just keep in mind they are slick Madison Ave. productions that are trying to sell products.

July 27, 2011 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. AC

Eyes, check pubmed sometime. Those real reasons people are fat = too much food in their belly. Do the world a favor and defend people and animals that actually deserve it.

July 27, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. 23

SOOOOO THATS WHAT A TROLL EATS!!! LOL

July 27, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. 23

@CHRIS

July 27, 2011 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. neptonomist sentry

It's a form of violence? Hyperbole much? This is why actors should stick to reading other people's words and stop trying to think on their own.

July 27, 2011 at 12:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Denizen Kate

Now THAT's funny! Good one! 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 12:54 | Report abuse |
  33. Conky2012

If you have to stick to a diet to lose weight, you are doing it wrong. You should never have to "diet".

July 27, 2011 at 12:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Nik

Chris, well said buddy. I love how FAT people, especially women try to claim that fit people are unhappy.

Look you can call it "rubenesque" or "big booty" or whatever the heck you want to call it, but you are a FAT woman. Its not attractive. And for all the women complaining about how they are judged by their looks, boo hoo.

Men have to work harder and have harder lives in general.

Get to the gym fatties!!!

July 27, 2011 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • McClure

LOL! Learn to read you idiot....this article is not about fat people saying fit people are unhappy....
      The point is that they are unable to see what real people can look like in the media.
      I am fit, and I am happy, and none of that has ANYTHING to do with the point here.

Men most certainly do NOT lead harder lives (ESPECIALLY not on a global scale)

Points to you for managing to gain absolutely no insight on anything during the course of your existance. You have to work really hard to achieve that!

July 27, 2011 at 12:29 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

"Men have to work harder and have harder lives in general." What planet do you live on?

July 27, 2011 at 12:56 | Report abuse |
  35. Marc A.

I get tired of the gender hypocrisy. Male bodies are objectified too. Why doesn't she mention both instead of just women? Men, and especially young men, are under lots of pressure to be unrealistically ripped and buff. Steroid abuse, muscle supplements, etc. and widespread. People should read The Adonis Complex. Young straight men have about as much eating disorders as women and gay men. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/153277.php

July 27, 2011 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Amy

I get lots of compliments from about 50% of the people...but the other half seem to think that I "don't eat" or say stupid things like "you don't need to be working out!" I've been made fun of for years for being tiny. It's kind of a double standard. 5'2, 108...extremely small bone structure. And I agree with a previous poster, it's almost as though big people convince themselves that I'm unhappy or have low self esteem or place too much emphasis on beauty when I'm just trying to live my life and be healthy.

July 27, 2011 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Erica12

Am, I think people have such misunderstood ideas about body types, probably because they saw a chart somewhere that says if you are this height, you must weigh this weight! I am 5'2" also, and weigh about 135, but I am not small boned at all, and my doctor actual tells me I need more "meat" on me! l

July 27, 2011 at 12:20 | Report abuse |
  37. incredulous

Everyone should live as a blind person for one day. Perhaps then they will stop judging others for how they look and start seeing them for the beings they truly are. This is a silly discussion as bigotry of all kinds devolves us and we should be way past it by now, but it is one that will never stop until they stop putting so much, ahem, weight, on how other people look.

July 27, 2011 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Tommy Jonq

we??????????????? i'm a professional photographer, and i shoot whatever the client wants. it doesn't mean i like what i shoot, it only means that someone does.

July 27, 2011 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Stephanie

As i read through these comments there r people that are descusted by "fat people" and r saying some very hurtful things. I'm a big girl myself and all my numbers from the doc say im heathy. I am just over weight. Have you ever thought that u are part of the problum and not part of the solution?? You act like "fat people" have never tried to lose the pounds. And you are the type of people that make it hard for "fat people" to go to the gym. Like its not embarssing enough of us as it is you have to make it worse. Your part of the problum!

July 27, 2011 at 12:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • linda

Totally agree!

July 27, 2011 at 12:21 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Wow, not only are you fat, you spell like an 8-year-old. Good lord.

July 27, 2011 at 12:25 | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

Wow. I my fat put at least my problems are fixable I think you r always going ignorant.

July 27, 2011 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
    • Edwin

Stephanie: being overweight does cause health problems beyond those the doctor may have mentioned. It wreaks havoc on your joints. It *can* lead to enlargement of various organs, which is not good. On the other hand, if you exercise regularly, it leads to much stronger back and leg muscles than those in thinner people (because of the extra workload).

As far as gym issues, there are some fitness locations (such as Curves, I think) that are much less focused on judging you. But the bottom line is this: people are cruel and petty - you can't change that. If you want to work out, ignore them. Or develop a few clever retorts - 'do you know how RUDE you are being? It's amazing your parents never taught you manners! I am so sorry for you!'

July 27, 2011 at 12:39 | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

I never said that it doesn't. And the sad thing is that u think I am rude when there are ignorant people saying far worse things then me.

July 27, 2011 at 12:58 | Report abuse |
    • Emily

Being overweight is a health issue! One that may creep up on you over the years! So even if your doctors cant find anything wrong with you today, doesnt mean that it is not happening to your body slowly! And its not a fast fix!

July 27, 2011 at 13:10 | Report abuse |
  40. Andi

Years ago I was very ill and down under 100 lbs. I looked horrible, and felt horrible. Yet I ran into people I knew and they would say 'wow, you look fantastic'.

July 27, 2011 at 12:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. AJ

I would love for one actor/actress to have the guts to ask them not to airbrush themselves. Prove to the rest of the world that it really doesn't matter how you look as long as you are happy.

July 27, 2011 at 12:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • McClure

That would certainly be a step in the right direction. Make it a violation of your photoshoot contract if they change anything about you.

July 27, 2011 at 12:34 | Report abuse |
  42. bristol palin...the dancing porker

I like to keep my weight up by eating lots of "lard-on-a-stick" and wearing a buttplug.

July 27, 2011 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Eshvar

Phew! What stunning pics! ctuapring all the emotion, love and wonderment ..such proud big brothers too! Heaps of congratulations to you all and a big welcome to Jonas .great name!

April 14, 2012 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
  43. gypsarella

There is a big differnce between "fat" and obese. Obese is an actual medical term coined by doctors when your BMI is over a certain point and your health is compromised. You will have co-morbities of joint pain, heart problems and diabetes if this continues. The term "fat" is more a judgement term according to todays societal description of what we consider over the normal weight. Some consider any size over a 10 fat. I say it depends on bone structure and height. Two women weighing 150 pounds cnn look completely different. A short butterball can wear size 16 and look very plump, yet a taller woman can look rather streamlined and fit. (No, I 'm not up to size 16.) If you are fit for your size, do not have trouble moving around or are short of breath, have no health problems like high blood pressure or cholesterol, you are fine. We are all different. Remember Marilyn Monroe was a cuddly size 16. (What makes it so unfair is the skinny girls now have the option of getting implants. Having large breasts was once the upside of being more "fluffy", yet still fit.)

July 27, 2011 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jose

Richard III only has one matinee on Sunday, July 17th. The Directors uautmlly decided that they would rather have more nighttime performances of Richard and more daytime performances of As You Like It.

April 7, 2012 at 20:42 | Report abuse |
  44. Colonel Angus

So be a disgusting fatbody if that's what makes you happy. There's a certain % of men that like that too.

July 27, 2011 at 12:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nik

African American men?

July 27, 2011 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
  45. tls

"Really, tls? "
    Yes, really.

July 27, 2011 at 12:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. humtake

How about we teach actresses to not care what other people think? If you want to be an actress, you know what you have to look like. You make the choice whether you want to do that or not. Then, you learn to not care about what other people think about you.

Terrible interview.

July 27, 2011 at 12:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. johnmclaugh

somebody call the wahmbulance. there are millions of people that are skinny because they have nothing to eat. someone give rosario a burger and some attention so she can move on with life.

July 27, 2011 at 12:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. TJT

I don’t understand...if Hollywood and magazines are telling Americans that they need to be stick skinny and those magazines and movies are the reason that we have body issues...why are 65% of people over the age of 20 either overweight or obese...you would at least think we would try to fit those body expectations...if we were at least trying...that is: eating healthy and exercising...then how come we are still such a fat country?? Perhaps if we put fat people in more movies and on more magazine covers Americans would lean out a bit...

July 27, 2011 at 12:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. WOBH

Each person who is overweight or underweight and defends their condition should consider what they get from their body condition. The medical community has set ranges for healthy body fat percentages and they aren't that onerous.... you don't have to workout like an ultra marathoner to maintain a body fat composition within the healthy range.

So really... what's the advantage of being over or underweight?

July 27, 2011 at 12:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yogesh

uhm strutture onoiglnalmepte molto semplici e qualche texture un po' slavata, tuttavia la resa globale sembra abbastanza pulita e, tutto sommato, potrebbe consentire un frame rate stabile a velocit piuttosto elevate. sembra, da qualche video, che ci sar un uso massiccio di blur, il che renderebbe del tutto inutili texture pi dettagliate e strutture particolarmente complesse.sembra anche molto ispirato sotto il profilo artistico.incrociamo le dita e speriamo in un sistema di controllo in grado di divertire e dire qualcosa di nuovo: su wii potrebbe finalmente arrivare il primo nfs degno di essere acquistato da un po' di anni a questa parte (mi basterebbe anche non fosse noioso e con caricamenti biblici come nfs shift).

April 8, 2012 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
  50. ron

From the second sentence of the article:

"It's a form of violence in the way that we look at women ..."

And thus her credibility drifts quickly to zero.

July 27, 2011 at 12:49 | Report abuse | Reply