home
RSS
Actress: I got compliments for looking emaciated
July 26th, 2011

Actress: I got compliments for looking emaciated

Actress Rosario Dawson has some pointed words about expectations on women and their bodies.

"It's a form of violence in the way that we look at women and the way we expect them to look and be for what sake? Not for health, survival, not for enjoyment of life, but just so you could look pretty," Dawson told Shape Magazine.

Dawson who appears on the August cover discussed industry-wide pressures to maintain an ideal body type.  After losing weight to play a drug addict dying of HIV/AIDS in the 2005 film "Rent," she was stunned to hear compliments about her  figure. “I remember everyone asking what did you do to get so thin? You looked great,” Dawson recalled. “I looked emaciated.”

Her video with Shape is here.

The controversies surrounding the pressure to be too thin and constant airbrushing of photos are nothing new.

“I’m constantly telling girls all the time everything is airbrushed, everything is retouched to the point it’s not even asked,” she told the magazine.  “None of us look like that."

In the competitive world of magazine covers, skin is nipped, blemishes erased and waist trimmed.  Photoshopping models and celebrities for ultra svelte bodies became a huge topic in France in 2009 when a politician proposed a law that require altered advertisement photographs to carry a label.

This year, the American Medical Association adopted a policy during its annual meeting warning that photo alteration of models’ bodies “can contribute to unrealistic expectations of appropriate body image – especially among impressionable children and adolescents.

“A large body of literature links exposure to media-propagated images of unrealistic body image to eating disorders and other child and adolescent health problems,” according to the AMA.

The group called on advertising associations to discourage altering photos that could promote unrealistic expectations of body image.

Glossy fashion magazines to even health and fitness publications routinely retouch photographs.  Is it contradictory that fitness magazines that preach healthy lifestyle retouch their models or celebrities’ photos to look skinnier?

Follow @CNNHealth on Twitter

1. Jonas

For cripes sakes people – Eat well balanced nutritous foods every 3 hours, get adequate sleep and get your heart rate up for 30 minutes every day and none of us would be obese. Countries that bike and walk regularly are in much better shape than us. We hover around 75% of Americans over the age of 15 are considered overweight . It's the facts people.

Fast food choices, getting little exercise and have a stressful job compounds the issues. It's no surprise that poor people have an easier time of eating junk food. This high caloric, prosessed food has little nutritional value yet they think they have to go this route to feed their families. It's just not true – it's so, so easy to do but so danm bad for your bodies.

If you are overweight you have to make a serious, conscious decision to eat better and exercise. We have all seen these weight transformation TV shows that show 400-500+ pound people loosing hundreds of pounds. All of them are fast food junkies who do not exercise and sadly, all of them are at serious risk for heart disease, diabetes, etc. If you put their mind to it and have a support group (family/friends in your corner) than the sky is the limit.

July 27, 2011 at 08:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fran glass

Jonas – it isn't just that it's "so so easy" for people to feed their families processed crap it is also MUCH cheaper to fill up bellies with that type of food. We need to start by making fresh, whole foods cheaper in the U.S. It isn't a lazy problem as much as it's a money problem. Then people get into that pattern and forget what real food is supposed to taste like and how it is supposed to be prepared.

July 27, 2011 at 08:53 | Report abuse |
    • collins61

Thanks for the inspiration. I am getting up, clearing all the laundry off the treadmill and starting today. The diet part will be difficult as I am single and run my own business, so finding time to shop, cook, eat and clean up is challenging. So far I can shop and put it in the fridge and watch it rot, but I can improve on that too. Well, I'm off to reclaim my life, thanks Jonas.

July 27, 2011 at 08:58 | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

lol! Right on, collins. 🙂

July 27, 2011 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
    • Spijder

You have got to be kidding me, you clearly have either excess income, or you are withholding valuable penny-pinching information. Poor people don't make bad food choices, the price of healthy foods forces them into bad food choices. Go peruse a grocery store flier and wonder what choices you would make if you had to stretch fifty dollars or less for a week's worth of groceries to feed a family.

July 27, 2011 at 09:10 | Report abuse |
    • biggerballz

Can you read? the article is about retouching and unrealistic body expectations. Not how to have a healthy life style. Plus your suggestions are out of touch and have been proven wrong so good job.

July 27, 2011 at 09:13 | Report abuse |
    • mo

jonas, what article did you read? the one i read wasn't about obesity, it was about body image and the fact that the people who "fix" photos of already skinny celebs and models seem to think the general public thinks that an emaciated body is a healthy body. save your "fat people are just lazy" speech, please.

July 27, 2011 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

"You have got to be kidding me, you clearly have either excess income, or you are withholding valuable penny-pinching information"
      I was wondering the same thing spidjer. Perhaps we live in a completely different world than this guy?

for the record i eat pretty healthy and have been a vegetarian since i was 12. However, my partner and i are a two income household with no children so we CAN afford it. It isn't so easy for most people though. At times when we have had financial struggles i know we didn't eat as well because it was cheaper not to. I can't imagine trying to add children into that equation.

July 27, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
    • kate

Thanks for the lecture, but this article is not about people who are obese. It is about people who are NORMAL WEIGHT who are pressured to become dangerously skinny and unhealthy. Dawson was playing an HIV/AIDS infected drug addict, and people were saying she "looked great". Of course there is a problem with obesity in this country but that is not the only issue we have with food and health. People seem to have forgotten what a healthy person is supposed to look like. We can't have our citizens split between toothpicks and butterballs.

July 27, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
    • AmericasChef

I agree. That porker on America's Chef is a typical American. You know, the one that dresses like a 1950s cartoon character. That is my opinion.

July 27, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
    • I tried - really

We were really excited to start our organic raw diet – until we topped $150 at Whole Foods – for TWO LOUSY BAGS OF FOOD. $2.50 for an avocado? $19 for a bag of cashews? I have a mortgage and children. Unfortunately, ramen is still less than $0.25 for a whole meal. That's why America's health is screwed up.

July 27, 2011 at 09:26 | Report abuse |
    • SweetP

Jonas it is citizens like you, who do not read and process the information before commenting, that put our youth in danger. Please read the article completely and take the time to understand the 'gist' or 'main idea' and then give us your comment.

As for the article, so many facets of our society place heavy expectations on both men and women. My daughter, a beautiful 17 year old, is at her ideal weight and anything less would make her look sickly but she continues to push for the 'accepted look' coined by society. Unfortunately, as long as there are people buying into the idea (i.e. buying media materials that air brush photos) there will always be the 'doctoring' of photos. How do we stand up against this? Who do we turn to to get results for our youth? I really would like to know...so many celeberities say they are against how the media forces the 'skinny issue' but what have they done to make a difference?

July 27, 2011 at 09:36 | Report abuse |
    • be quiet

I'm so sick of people saying they can't eat healthy because it's too expensive. Those are the same people who spend $4 on a bag of Doritos, when they could have used that $4 on 9 or 10 pieces of fruit. There are always deals on healthy food. You just need to know where to look and be smarter about your spending. It's just pure laziness to not invest time in grocery shopping and head for the chips and cookies aisle instead.

6 years ago, I decided I needed a life change. 4 years later, my total weight loss was 100 pounds, and I've kept it off. In all that time, my grocery bill did not go up at all.

July 27, 2011 at 09:46 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Jonas:
      "It's no surprise that poor people have an easier time of eating junk food. This high caloric, prosessed food has little nutritional value yet they think they have to go this route to feed their families. It's just not true – it's so, so easy to do but so danm bad for your bodies."

Yeah is now wonder. Have you seen the cost of that junk food versus healthier choices? I'm sorry but making sure they have enough money to pay all their bills and put food on the tables is a high priority for most people. And they see it as a immediate problem. They are not looking at the long term effects. Just look at the environment. We destroy the environment without regard to the long term implications. Food is the same way.

July 27, 2011 at 09:46 | Report abuse |
    • Howard

All Rosario Dawson, or any other actress or model who feels the same way, has to do is have their agent put a clause in their contracts that their images may not be altered by Photoshop or other image-manipulation technologies. Of course, the moment they do that, their income stream will decline sharply and the industry will move on to a new crop of young women hungry for the cash and willing to let their images be Photoshopped to hell and back if it will make them rich.

July 27, 2011 at 09:53 | Report abuse |
    • Will

Jonas:

You are making assumptions based on an article you did not even understand. You should run for Congress! I can help you with that campaign stuff.

July 27, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
    • Barack Obama

Actually Fran Glass, it's cheaper to go buy $100 worth of groceries that will last a week or two than spend $30+ a day on eating out. (depending on if it's just you or you have a family) Generally, the more money you spend on groceries and the more amount you get, the more savings you will have.

July 27, 2011 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • Christi

Countries in much better shape than us also have a lot more vacation time and a government that cares about the health of their citizens.

July 27, 2011 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

barack obama – i wasn't referring to eating fast food or at restaurants. I was talking about grocery store prices and i'm right.

July 27, 2011 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
    • Amy

I was visiting Colorado recently because I'm going to be relocating there soon. I was amazed. Everyone has bike racks on their cars. People were riding bikes everywhere I looked and I tell you what, I could count on ONE hand the number of overweight people I saw while visiting. And everytime I did, my girlfriend would comment, "You know that's a tourist." It was amazing to see that difference. I can't wait to move there.

July 27, 2011 at 10:14 | Report abuse |
    • S Kyle

I must agree with you, Fran. Making a lasagna from scratch this weekend using fresh, low-fat, healthier ingredient alternatives cost me $62 for about a dozen servings. I could have purchased a frozen lasagna full of oil, fat and extra calories and it would have cost $12 at Walmart... and taken about 6 hours less to prepare. It's easy to see why obesity is an epidemic.

July 27, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse |
    • Mountain made

This reply is for Scott. Nice rip off of Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal", published in 1729. Try reading before you plagerize the works of great minds and claim it for yourself or your "friend" in London. Almost word for word, the bit about ladies' gloves and gents' boots. Swift wrote "A Modest Proposal" in satirical response to the British question of what to do with the Irish. You are a theif, your satyre is not funny as it is not original. You are not a wit, but a 1/2 wit.

July 27, 2011 at 10:27 | Report abuse |
    • Robert A.M. Stephens

Hey Jonas, great response and so true. I am 60 now and the same weight I was in HS–6'1" 175 pounds. I have spend my life traveling the world in robust fashion with my work and amazed every time I come back inside the US over the last 30 years: America is getting HUGE!!!!! The fattest, most depressed nation state on Earth and the biggest in debt as well. If people would be adventurous, laugh more, laugh at themselves, and tease and laugh with their mates if they them, they would be happier. If they had a Jeep and went to the far reaches of their region and worked to getting there, their hearts would be heathy as well. Life is within walking distance!!!

July 27, 2011 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
    • Ashley

The reasons why America is obese and unhealthy are complex. The foods we eat are ADDICTIVE DRUGS. Food addiction is real. Consumers goods companies are getting rich off the addictions of their customers. How does one overcome food addiction? It's not like alcoholism – you can entirely cut out alcohol. We must eat food to survive.

July 27, 2011 at 10:36 | Report abuse |
    • anita

It's not just that it is easy for the impoverished – incidentally who mostly work, but have to keep 2-3 jobs because no one can really raise a family on minimum wage! – to eat junk food. Rather, supermarkets are rare in poor neighborhoods, and many impoverished people don't have cars. therefore they have no access to healthier choices. they have to grocery shop at convenience stores. I used to live in such a neighborhood, so I've seen it. I have to give credit to the convenience stores; some of them tried to stock a tiny produce section – mostly bananas and apples, but it was something.

July 27, 2011 at 10:37 | Report abuse |
    • JBMW

I've tried the eat 5 small healthy meals a day and all I did was gain weight. That does not work for everyone. I exercise 6 days a week. I dont' have time for 2 hour work outs because I have a house to keep up and I do NOT like living in dirt, filth, and slim, with grass 10 feet tall. Some people are different and as you age, it gets harder. Yeah, I could go back to a size 2 if I lived on 2 packs a day, coffee and diet pepsi, but I wouldnt have any energy and would cough up a lung every morning.

July 27, 2011 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
  2. Caroline

We should not necessarily be focused on weight, but on health. The media focuses on how many pounds a celebrity has lost, and not on their methods. And if the methods are focused on, nothing is mentioned about their ridiculously expensive, in-house trainer or about their ACTUAL diet.

July 27, 2011 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

I agree. Stop looking at how much you weigh. If you weighted 300lbs, but had low body fat and good health, would you complain?

July 27, 2011 at 09:55 | Report abuse |
    • TrK18

Its very very difficult to weigh 300 lbs and be healthy. Even if you are really muscular and not fat at all that is just too much weight for your body to carry around. Thats why you see all of these nba and nfl players develop joint and heart problems later in their lives.

July 27, 2011 at 11:37 | Report abuse |
  3. ron

If women in our country would worry more about what is beneath their skin than above we would all be more happy especially men. American women are way too superficial and have become less feminine

July 27, 2011 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • fran glass

ok so according to you women have to focus more about what is on the inside while at the same time maintaining a level of femininity acceptable to you?

July 27, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse |
    • collins61

Thats right Fran, get busy.

July 27, 2011 at 09:03 | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

i would be devasted if i didn't live up to ron's perfect balance of femininity/introspection.

July 27, 2011 at 09:11 | Report abuse |
    • skendal

LOL...... Is this comment a joke? Women have become less feminine???? Haha how old are you? This is 2011 budddy... In case you have been asleep for the past 50 years, women now work, hold executive positions, play sports, and even VOTE. It absolutely crazy....... those B!tches need to get back in the kitchen, right?!.................... o__O

July 27, 2011 at 09:15 | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

barefoot and pregnant AND making me a damn sammich, woman... apparently.

July 27, 2011 at 09:22 | Report abuse |
    • annoyed

Sorry, I'm going to have to agree. Too many women are so worried about superficial things...and I'm sorry, there is nothing pretty about a stick figure girl with no curves. Women are supposed to have curves… you know, hips, thighs, a waist... not look like a prepubescent boy. Too many women starve themselves into looking less than feminine. I for one will keep eating fairly healthy, taking care of my children and keep my affairs in order. My grandmother would climb out of her grave if any of the females in my family ever started acting anything less than a lady. I was raised to believe a woman should have curves, be gracious and conduct herself as a lady at all times. I would be horrified if my children ever saw me acting like I see some of the people on reality shows acting.
      And guys… start acting like gentlemen!!! Open the door for ladies, escort your girls properly, and pull up your damn pants!!! NOBODY wants to see your britches!!! Guys want females to start acting more like ladies, then act like gentlemen.

July 27, 2011 at 09:25 | Report abuse |
    • @ Annoyed

God bless you!

July 27, 2011 at 09:29 | Report abuse |
    • annoyed

Women have become less feminine… actually I would call it less lady like, which is what I believe he was intending to say. I hold a full time job, am a single mom, am the chief bottle washer, cook, and maintenance man of my household… yet I always conduct myself as a lady. Turn on any TV show… people (men and women) acting like fools is all you will normally see. Sorry, he is right.

July 27, 2011 at 09:29 | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

the phrase "conduct herself like a lady" makes me want to barf.

Do you realize the contradiction here? Saying women need to focus less on their appearances while at the same time trying to put them in a tiny stereotypical box?

July 27, 2011 at 09:31 | Report abuse |
    • fran glass

also, i would like to know where you are from and what "conduct herself like a lady" means? Please define for all of us unwashed masses what a lady is.

July 27, 2011 at 09:32 | Report abuse |
    • Len

So, if I'm suppose to act more like a lady AND watch my BMI, I think you need to help out. Get busy running my business, taking care of a household, grocery shopping, cooking, promoting my business through advertising, and being on conference calls due to all of that. I think guys should try acting 'lady like'

July 27, 2011 at 09:48 | Report abuse |
    • annoyed

Fran... I was just going to ask you if you even know what it means to conduct yourself as a lady. It isn't putting anyone in any tiny little box.

Lets see... tips for the "unwashed masses" as you put it. First of all, how about being a little less cynical and nasty. Conduct yourself properly, with dignity and graciousness. Thank people for the things they do for you. Do things for other people, and not because they ask for it but because it is the proper thing to do. NEVER do anything you wouldn't want your children, parents or grandparents finding out about. Put your family first.
      Conduct yourself in an elegant and sophisticated manner. There is no reason to act like trash. I grew up poor, still broke, but I never act like I don't have class. There is no reason to run around and act like an idiot!
      Have some self pride!! There is no reason to run around half naked just to draw attention to yourself. It's called modesty, learn to have some! There is no reason for skirts or shorts to show of the bottom half of your tush or to walk around flashing people... unless of course you don't feel as though you don't have anything to offer other than your body. No I don't think women should run around in long skirts and not cut their hair, but there is no reason to run around showing your business to everyone. Sad as it seems, I see more people walking around who couldn't tell you who the Vice President is but they know how to get their size B cups to look like D's!!
      Beauty isn't about what your face looks like or how skinny you are.

Here... try looking up Audry Hepburn... should help since I don't believe you know how to conduct yourself as a lady.

July 27, 2011 at 09:49 | Report abuse |
    • vicky

who made them that way.... the media... Men expectations... or other women.

July 27, 2011 at 09:50 | Report abuse |
    • Linda

annoyed.. you do realize that the old "acting like a lady" was superficial in itself, right? You had to dress appropriately, wear your hair appropriately, act appropriately.. which is the utter definition of being superficial!! Women are told to be superficial today by everything they see around them: advertising, television, magazines. If the male dominated media didn't constantly tell women that they weren't a "woman" if they were well kept, up with fashion, having the last hair-do etc... then maybe we wouldn't have the desire to be superficial

July 27, 2011 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
    • annoyed

lol sorry Len, I never said it was easy

July 27, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
    • annoyed

Linda... I belive you have missed the point yet hit the nail on the head!

Dress appropriately... ie: don't have your bits and pieces hanging out for the whole world to see!! I think it is more erotic to wear clothes that fit and cover things... leaving some things to the imagination... than flashing the whole world with your chest or tush.

Your hair... OMG wash it, brush it.. don't walk around looking like you just rolled yourself out of bed. And for the love of God, don't walk around in public dressed in your pj's. It's called self respect. I see nothing wrong with having the hair style you want, as long as you actually do something with your hair...even if it's just pulling it back in a hair band. It makes me insane when my 11yr old tries to leave the house without having even brushed her hair.

Act appropriately... in other words don't act like a damn fool. Again, have some self respect and respect for others. There is no reason to carry on like an idiot. If you don't like what someone has to say there is no reason to sit and scream at them or carry on like a jersey shore moron.

There is nothing wrong with conducting yourself as a lady, it is an old fashioned set of values I think is greatly overlooked.

I will agree that women these days are encouraged to be superficial... then again so are men. It's called teaching your children the differance between the fantasy world of magazines and high fashion and the real world. Too many people these days allow the TV to raise their children and don't teach their children any real values or manners. It's sad and it breaks my heart.

July 27, 2011 at 10:15 | Report abuse |
  4. Alexander

Did they retouch her cover photo? She looks better than I've ever seen her. Someone with her body is not a great spokesperson for body image...more like Kristy Alley

July 27, 2011 at 08:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Darrel

I was wondering the same thing. Shape as well as a lot of other magazines photo shop the people on the cover to hide imperfections. If Rosario Dawson is complaining about what people told her when she lost weight for the movie role she should also be complaining about how magazines photo shop their covers, this is much more dramatizing to people that do not have a 'perfect' body.

July 27, 2011 at 08:57 | Report abuse |
    • jenF

My daughter, 15, is 5'9, 136 lbs. And she thinks she's overweight. She's constantly worried about what she eats, and has been known to skip lunch at school (when I'm not there to make her eat) because she's worried about her weight, and belonging. She went to Cali with my parents recently and saw a chicken bone skinny woman there and said she thought she looked pretty. How is bony 'pretty'?? Why is Hollywood doing this to our children? I've gotten her into therapy, talk with her constantly about healthy weight, I hope we can work her past this, since she's on the verge of anorexia.... Thanks Hollywood. 😐

July 27, 2011 at 10:16 | Report abuse |
    • ManiacalShen

Actually, I think she's the perfect person to be making this point. If someone as skinny as HER still has complaints to make about the expectations people have for her body, what chance do most of the rest of us have? That's the point made here.

July 27, 2011 at 10:16 | Report abuse |
    • ann88

@Jen- your daughter sounds like she already has an eating disorder. Get her help now. I sounded just like her when I was that age, and by 17 i had been hospitalized twice due to my eating disorder. Better to correct her poor body image before it spirals out of control.

July 27, 2011 at 13:38 | Report abuse |
  5. Kirk

Bah, what a hypocrite.

July 27, 2011 at 08:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. auburnlights

It's easy to say all of this. . . when you're a man.

July 27, 2011 at 08:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

As a man, I have to say that this is something that has bothered me for a long time. I know so many great women (beautiful in and out) that have a debilitating body image. I mean truly damaging to their happiness. I know there are societal pressures on women to 'look' a certain way, but honestly, I think a lot of that comes from women in the society, not men.

I am not saying there aren't superficial men out there, but if you are doing it for them, I have to question your judgment. Why would you want to impress a man like that?

July 27, 2011 at 10:01 | Report abuse |
  7. DR._SATAN

Off topic, but RD did a great job of voicing the character Velvet Von Black in Rob Zombie's cartoon masterpiece, "The Haunted World of El Superbeasto."

July 27, 2011 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Mikel

"It's a form of violence" – self absorbed drivel. The media's expectations of women is driven by women themselves. Every ad for pancake makeup, exercise machines, and hair color that perpetuates the image is for women.

July 27, 2011 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bill

Actually, The fashion world is driven and dominated by gay men. My theory is they want young women to look like teenage boys.

July 27, 2011 at 09:43 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

They never said it was abuse by men. Women can abuse other women.

July 27, 2011 at 10:02 | Report abuse |
    • ManiacalShen

Women aren't innocent in this, but you are vastly simplifying the problem. Men have responsibility, too, in judging women only by their looks in conversation, in producing sitcoms where a beautiful, smart woman barely deserves her fat, moron husband, in holding female politicians to beauty and behavior standards – even to family standards – that it would never occur to them to apply to a man. And more. It's not all men, true, much like it isn't all women who are adding to the problem.

July 27, 2011 at 10:38 | Report abuse |
  9. Sussay

I don't find that emaciated look at all attractive. Frankly, I assume that any woman who looks that thin is probably miserable.

July 27, 2011 at 08:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rh

Or on crack. We saw a very thin woman sitting on a guy's lap in a fast food joint in a "suburban" town near us. I bet my son that she was a "crack ho". Sure enough, as we walked to our car, they were outside and he was lighting a pipe for her. I tell my son that if someone has a bicep smaller than their forearm, that's disgusting and very dangerous for health.

My pediatrician told me to gain weight and put me on iron when I was 113 pounds and 5'6" tall. Models of that build are told to lose weight.

July 27, 2011 at 09:56 | Report abuse |
  10. Bemused

All I know is, there wasn't any retouching on her scene in "Alexander". I wore out my rewind button on that one....

July 27, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Javier

The reason women are constantly worried about their weight, looks etc. in Hollywood is because the more you look like a 10 yr. old boy in drag, the more work you'll get. It's that simple. Most of the "High-Powered" movers and shakers are either gay or into kids. Respond as you will but, this information is based on a 2 yr. investigation by a British film/news agency that for legal purposes, I can't name. This was not some silly Q and A. This was an extensive and professional survey done with the utmost care and discretion.

July 27, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David

Javier- I don't know enough statistics to disagree with you with any weight, but I was totally with you up until "it's all that simple." I refuse to say that most of our "movers and shakers" are pedophiles, and I flat out will not believe that gay people would force anybody to emaciate themselves (or do anything as an entire group because they are individuals). That said, it is a huge shame that women are killing themselves to become unnatural.

July 27, 2011 at 09:07 | Report abuse |
  12. Vanilla Gorilla

who cares – let them eat cake !! the world has much more serious issues to deal with then self absorbed women and how they think they should look and are obsessed with what other people think about them. This isn't junior high !!

July 27, 2011 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TheBlogNinja

Word.

July 27, 2011 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
    • MegaRedd

@Nik, you don't have to be fat to have boobs and a butt. And being imaciated takes that away if you ever had any. Some men must like it, but I personally don't know any that do. My guy friends tell me not to worry about my body because I have an hour glass figure and actually look like a healthy weight. I don't see why boobs + butt = curvy (aka fat) when it should equal curves (aka, you're a healthy body weight and you're not fat but still have boobs and a butt). I feel like people forget that body shape even exists when the debate is always, toothpicks who are air brushed create bad body image for Americans and being obese is terrible. Nobody focuses on what a healthy body weight is ever and that's the point the actress is trying to get accross.

July 27, 2011 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
    • MegaRedd

I really don't know how my comment got here when it was supposed to be somewhere else, haha. But why shouldn't people do what they want?

July 27, 2011 at 10:28 | Report abuse |
  13. Carmen

That is great!! Told she looks great when she is playing a drug addict dying from HIV. Why do women even listen to what people in the fashion industry say? Most of the fashion industry is controlled by gay men and short frumpy eccentric women who can't even fit into their own cloths. From what I understand. Straight men like boobs and booty, neither of which models have.

July 27, 2011 at 08:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Matt

Amen Carmen! I'm not sure who is digging these twiggy little things but I personally like to feel my woman when I wrap my arms around her.

July 27, 2011 at 09:14 | Report abuse |
    • Nik

Sorry Carmen but straight men don't like fat women. Theres a reason that models are so thin – thats what men like. If it wasn't what men wanted, women wouldn't try to be skinny.

July 27, 2011 at 09:42 | Report abuse |
    • Bill

You are quite right Carmen. When I am look at my wife, mother of my five children, I still get butterflies. She looks like a women, not an emaciated supermodel. What guy wants to be able to count is lovers ribs when they are being intimate.

July 27, 2011 at 09:59 | Report abuse |
    • rh

Men who only like skinny women are likely superficial in other ways. Yeah, I'm working on losing weight for my health and to look better, but I know I'll never be skinny again, and I know that my spouse likes me the way I am. The only caveat is that I take great care keeping track of my kids' weights and eating habits. Starting out as a fat kid increases the potential to be a fat teenager and fat adult. I used to be skinny but got over it in 20 years, if you start fat, that's not good.

July 27, 2011 at 09:59 | Report abuse |
  14. Missy

"Is it contradictory that fitness magazines that preach healthy lifestyle retouch their models or celebrities’ photos to look skinnier?" Yes.

"...a politician proposed a law that require altered advertisement photographs to carry a label." I want a requirement like that in the U.S. We have them on tobacco products. I agree it wouldn't be an easy law to draft; however, my 20 YO beautiful, strong, svelte daughter admits to being swayed by magazine covers to want to be thin. And she is already her perfect weight. In this capitalistic society people will do anything for the bottom dollar. I hate having to legislate around people's greed, but there it is.

July 27, 2011 at 09:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Lean6

I'm in love.

July 27, 2011 at 09:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. thinner the better

Women should work harder to be thin. Want to marry a good man? want to get a good job. get thinner!!

July 27, 2011 at 09:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • lvslezak

Couldn't agree more. It shows that you are motivated and have self control, and that you actually care about your appearance!

July 27, 2011 at 09:30 | Report abuse |
    • Pearlsa

Yes, you hit it dead on. Sad, but true.

July 27, 2011 at 09:39 | Report abuse |
    • rh

The problem is the definition of thin. The lower edge of normal for BMI gives 115 lbs. at 5'6" as the lowest healthy weight. Models taller than that are often thinner and encouraged to be so.

July 27, 2011 at 10:04 | Report abuse |
    • LR

The old double standard again. Of course, men can be overweight, bald, etc. It's the women who must be thin and beautiful.

July 27, 2011 at 10:30 | Report abuse |
    • Myka

It's also been proven that thinner woman will get jobs and raises over bigger woman.

July 27, 2011 at 11:27 | Report abuse |
  17. Smexy

if we were to burn the fat of the overweight in the US we would have no energy crisis. 😉

July 27, 2011 at 09:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. thinner the better

women need to take work out more an lose weight. dont need any more fatties roaming around. Some of these people barely fit through the doors.

July 27, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. gardenlobster

Isn't Shape one of the worst offenders when it comes to airbrushing?

July 27, 2011 at 09:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. mort

There needs to be more education. I've known girls who thought that they could gain 5 pounds from eating a sandwich. I tried to tell them that it is literally impossible to gain 5 pounds from eating something that weighs less than a pound but they are just ignorant about how health and nutrition work.

July 27, 2011 at 09:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MegaRedd

I know what you mean! When I'm at school I hear girls in the dining hall who won't eat peanut butter because it's fattening, but I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff that says it can help "tone down on belly fat" which I know is a myth since you lose weight all across your body. Either way peanut butter is not the most unhealthy thing you could be eating. And other people are like "I know I'm being bad but I want pasta and pasta has carbs." It's not like one plate of spaghetti or a PB&J sandwich sets you on the track of being obese for the rest of your life. If you go a little overboard one day, cut back the next. It's okay to indulge if you don't do it 24/7, 365 days a year

July 27, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse |
  21. lvslezak

Lets not kid ourselves...being UNDERWEIGHT is actually healthy and has been proven in numerous studies to extend your life expectancy. Being OVERWEIGHT leads to heart disease, diabetes, stroke, some cancers, etc. The truth is, a VERY small percentage of people take losing weight too far – while a HUGE majority of people are overweight. So, with regard to being physically healthy (forget about appearance), your best choice is 20% underweight, followed by normal weight, and then overweight. Yes, I know we don't like to hear that because the majority of us struggle to lose weight or make excuses not to do so, but facts are facts. And finally, it's not important that you are "a beautiful person underneath" your skin when you are 270 pounds and laying dead in a coffin at age 58 due to a heart attack...!

July 27, 2011 at 09:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tim

Wrong, and you couldn't be further from the truth. The body's composition is what determines a person's health, not their weight. A 6' tall man can be 250 lbs and be a total slob, whereas another 6' tall man can be a great athlete, be low body fat, eat very well, and also weigh 250 lbs. Who do you think is going to have more health problems?
      Body makeup is also includes water weight, bone weight, and muscle mass. Diet, conditioning, and percentages will guage the health of the person. Or better yet, go tell a pro football fullback who's 5'9", 245 lbs how unhealthy he is because, by the book, he's overweight.
      Get some insight before you post something else completely stupid. You're just as bad as the rest.

July 27, 2011 at 09:56 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

What about mental health?

I think that is what the article is about– the mental health effects of societal pressure of an 'ideal' weight.

July 27, 2011 at 10:07 | Report abuse |
    • random person

Really, what's your source? Multiple studies have found that being normal weight or overweight does not increase risk of death, while being obese or underweight significantly increases your risk of death. Here is the most recent such study: JAMA. 2005;293(15):1861-1867, abstract at http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/293/15/1861.short One study even found being overweight reduced risk of death compared to being normal weight.

I'm 5'6", 125 lbs and not about to gain any weight because of these studies, but I'm also not inclined to want to lose any.

July 27, 2011 at 11:57 | Report abuse |
  22. Patrick

I don't disagree with her point, but there's the same pressure for guys.

July 27, 2011 at 09:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. BillJ

I've read a lot of these comments and since I'm a man I'll say this much. It works both ways. UP until my first heart attack at age 41 I worked out every day, was slightly overweight at 80lbs at 5 foot 11 inches and I could not quite get to my ideal weight. As I said I was very healthy and stilll had the heart attack. After several tests and 3 more attacks in one year it was discovered I had thin walled arteries and there was not one thing I could do about it. I was told to back off on the exercise as the added strain could burst one of these arteries and now I'm over 200lbs and eating healthy.

I was not blessed with the type of metabolism that helped keep me at my weight, I had to work hard at it every single day. Now that I'm heavier, finding a woman is a lot harder as I am no longer considered by most women to be worthy because of the excess weight, so see it works both ways. It's a shame that we are so fixated by looks and not what is really there. Even when I was in better shape, I turned some women away because I found out later that while they were drop dead gorgeous, they were also very superficial

July 27, 2011 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. g

you could always grow your own food too... that's pretty cheap, though, I understand it takes time and care, something we don't have much of with our crazy work demands

July 27, 2011 at 09:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • melvinslizard

Darn right. Not hard to grow a pecan tree. A small garden is not a huge task.

July 27, 2011 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
  25. BillJ

My previous comment said 80lbs it should have been 180lbs, my bad

July 27, 2011 at 09:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Phil in Oregon

I have the answer. Treadmills, cardio-gliders, weight machines all with little generators. Anyone seriously overweight would need to spend 1 hour a day pumping or running to solve both the obesity and energy problems. Another idea is to make a sales tax based on the fat content of food, so that people would steer away from the really bad ones.

July 27, 2011 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Phil in Oregon

It's also not the government's problem, it's yours. I agree with Lvslesak, whether you look good doesn't matter after you're dead.

July 27, 2011 at 09:40 | Report abuse |
    • David

Or, you know, government could keep their noses out of it, or better educate everybody about nutrition

July 27, 2011 at 09:50 | Report abuse |
    • David

I apologize, I thought with the tax part you were insinuating that the government needed to get involved

July 27, 2011 at 09:53 | Report abuse |
  27. trae

Easy for Rosario to say being a beautiful hollywood actress.

July 27, 2011 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Derek

The stupidity continues on the comments made above. Yes being thin is healthier what she is talking about is looking like a bone rack and like she was on drugs for the role. People these days are crazy. And Fran honey, you can go to McDonalds and get a one dollar salad instead of fries. Don't blame fast food because there are healthy choices there.

July 27, 2011 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff

Derek..I'm pretty sure that salad is made with ingredients like iceberg lettuce that has little to no nutritional value.

July 27, 2011 at 09:48 | Report abuse |
  29. Tom Leykis

I hate fat chicks. Oh, and did I say I HATE fat chicks?

July 27, 2011 at 09:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • joeinsense

trust me dawg, ALL chicks hate you...... yo momma's a fat chick.

July 27, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse |
  30. Shamrock6

Just be a fat hawg....nobody cares. It's un-american to not be a fat, lazy, uneducated, over-opinionated pig.

July 27, 2011 at 09:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Nik

Whats up with all the fat people hating on skinny women?

Just because you are a tub of lard doesn't mean everyone else has to be. And lets be honest here, when women say "full figured" or "big booty" they mean FAT.

July 27, 2011 at 09:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Leonore H. Dvorkin

If girls and women are being pressured to be too thin, the pressure is obviously not working! Look around you. Most people in this country are now fat and very out of shape. And I often see mother/daughter pairs where the daughter is way fatter than the mother. Also, why is it always just talk about fat vs. thin (skinny)? Why not focus on being a good, healthy weight with some muscles, some real fitness, for both men and women? EXERCISE, people! You can walk, go up and down stairs, and do some sit-ups, push-ups, and stretches for free. If you want some effective equipment, simple metal dumbbells cost about $1 per pound at Sears, and they last forever. Eat plain, healthy food in modest portions. Oatmeal is very cheap. Get large bags of plain frozen vegetables if you can't afford fresh ones. HUGE bags of plain (even organic) vegetables and good nuts are very cheap at Costco. There is no need to go to Whole Foods! Don't smoke, drink alcohol, or drink sodas, and you'll have more money for decent food. Etc. It's not that complicated!

July 27, 2011 at 09:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MegaRedd

The whole article is saying don't aspire to be stick thin. The comments are all directed toward obese people. Even if someone is overweight the pressure is still there and people feel more upset when they feel like they can't lose weight and even get down to a normal size let alone abnormally small. I know a lot of people who have let themselves get bigger and they're upset about it and I agree with you on how they should use it, but I'm just saying that being pressured to be skinny by society doesn't mean all people are going to work toward that. Obesity and body image are two big problems, but two very different problems that need to be handled in their own ways.

July 27, 2011 at 10:09 | Report abuse |
  33. Sooki

in answer to Spijder saying "Go peruse a grocery store flier and wonder what choices you would make if you had to stretch fifty dollars or less for a week's worth of groceries to feed a family"

I would say this: a big bag of carrots, some apples, some bananas, tomatoes, lettuce, a couple of boxes of generic whole grain cereal, 2-4 pounds of unprocessed turkey or chicken pieces, 2 pounds of lean hamburger, 2 cans of frozen orange juice with calcium, 2 gallons of milk, frozen unprocessed peas, frozen unprocessed spinach, whole what pasta noodles.

I am tired of hearing that poor people cannot afford to eat healthy. Last time I checked, eating healthy unprocessed foods costs a lot less than buying unhealthy processed foods. A bag of chips is more expensive than 2 pounds of apples.

Anyway, the article is about celebrating the emaciated look, which, as Ms. Dawson says, is a horrible thing to do. We need to learn the eat healthy and exercise reasonably. We should not be too skinny or too fat. They are both unhealthy. And it is not about how much money we have, but the choices we make for our families.

July 27, 2011 at 09:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Sooki

My post above needs a correction. The final paragraph was also a cut and pasted section from Spijder. It should have been deleted. My post is corrected as follows:

July 27, 2011 at 09:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. MegaRedd

So we studied some stuff about pictures of naked women shown to men and women in my sociology class and the results found that both men and women compared women to the bodies of people in the pictures. If the woman was skinny in the picture, mostly all women would compare themselves to her and wonder why they didn't look like that. Men found that they felt more possessive of attractive and skinny women and felt the ideal woman should look like that. If the woman was larger, the women would feel more confident about themselves and men would find them ugly. The findings concluded that women were socialized to constatly question and compare their body images to those of smaller/more attractive people. Men were socialized to see women as theres and to question women about their bodies.

I'm NOT SAYING that this is true for all people. It's just the results of one study. Personally, most of my guy friends and every guy I've dated don't like stick thin women because they have no curves or anything all that appealing. Society focuses on a number on a scale more than anything. Like I used to think I wanted my weight to be 145 (I'm 5' 10" so that's kinda in the middle for my "suggested weight range") but I can only acheive that weight if I completely stop working out and lose 10-15 pounds of muscle. I've never been told I was fat by anyone but myself and the fashion industry that says a size 10 makes you plus sized (or at least on America's Next Top Model they've said that), but there's no way I can change my bone structure to get anything below an 8 in my life. If people wouldn't worry so much about numbers and just realize you can be beautiful without reaching the magic 00 pant size, you'll be fine. Even if you're overweight by a little or a lot, being comfortbale with how you look and who you are means a whole lot more than some silly numbers.

I know it's been preached before but nobody teaches it in today's culture which is where we have problems. If it was more culturally acceptable to be a normal weight than 100 pounds and 6 feet tall, we'd be better off. Just sayin'

July 27, 2011 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. joeinsense

do women think they look attractive if they look like some starving diseased east european..? As a man, i like women to have curves, some flesh and some "life" in their bodies. Only necros go for this kind of looks. yuck..
    Think most men would agree. so eat well and exercise.

July 27, 2011 at 09:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MegaRedd

Most European women are actually a normal weight. Heidi Klum, the Victoria's Secret model, was told she was too skinny to model in Germany which is why she came to the states. Even though pretty much all people are more active in European countries, there are some that would be considered overweight or fat by our standards who are way healthier than Americans. And in some cultures, like Greek or Italian from what I understand, being skinny means you're sick or not eating enough. Different cultures view body image differently. Americans just generally tend to idolize skeletons while the numbers show we're obese.

July 27, 2011 at 10:11 | Report abuse |
    • Nik

It IS attractive. Thin women are attractive. GET OVER IT.

July 27, 2011 at 10:27 | Report abuse |
    • Obese one Kenobi

Nik, says you. I agree with the OP, I like a girl with curves.

July 27, 2011 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
  37. Chang

Fat A$$es stop eating so much, 2bit bones eat a hamburger or 2. Take a walk,...problem solved. btw RD is still DD Gorgeous.

July 27, 2011 at 09:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. SAWolf

Eating a plant based, non processed food, diet is very INEXPENSIVE, It costs me no more than 25 dollars per week to feed myself. Although the the cost of certain supplements (10)/day costs about another $1.50/day. What it takes is knowledge,what to eat, and time, preparing the food VS the convenience of the processed, food?, lab synthesized, poison. Metabolic pathways mediated by real whole foods are vastly superior for continued disease free existence.

July 27, 2011 at 09:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Obese one Kenobi

But who wants to eat leaves and pills as a daily diet? I am overweight and I need help, I have the motivation to shed the pounds but I don't want to have to eat like a bird! (or do I ?) I am not overweight because I can't afford it, I am overweight because I work 70 hours a week on a computer, with no time to cook healthy or work out, is there any other way?

July 27, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • Myka

@ obese one
      yes eatting allot more fruit and veggies and slowly cutting back on meat is very good for you and you'd shed weight fast. also portion control!!! not to mention if you drink allot of soda, salts and sweets stop those at once. with in a few weeks, months you'll shed weight. but you will also have to get more active. if you have a break or a lunch take a brisk walk. you'd be surprised how much better you'll feel too.

July 27, 2011 at 11:59 | Report abuse |
  39. Tee

I learned a long time ago not to care about what media, society, or anyone else thinks of my body. When I was a teen, there wasn't a thing wrong with me, but still I cried because I didn't look like Pauline Porizkova. My mom has been a great example, because all of us are meant to look different. I am not meant to look like a model, and now I celebrate myself. Remember, you define yourself.

July 27, 2011 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Sarah

This hits home for me. My jaw bone was busted up a little while back among other injuries and I couldn't eat solid food/ walk normally for a couple months. I lost so much weight (not too much, but enough to look sickly I suppose) and people used to tell me how jealous they were! My bones were practically sticking out of my body-it was disgusting! I've known way too many girls who've had issues with their appearances, and for no reason other than the fact they didn't look like walking skeletons. Being obese isn't a thing one should aspire to be, but neither is being skinny to the point where it starts to take a toll on one's health. It kills me to hear my male(and even female, in some instances) friends pick on some female because she is a size 4 instead of a double 0, or because she has muscle instead of toothpick arms and legs. It took me a long time to work my way up to a bigger jean size again and to build up the muscle I lost over time, and I'm pretty dang proud of that, and everyone else who wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle, more freakin' power to you.

July 27, 2011 at 10:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Obese one Kenobi

First off, you could probably cut the fat off my back and fry it up as bacon in this heat. Anyways, who wants to hear about how "bad" this girl has it because she's too skinny. She made herself that skinny for a role. Everyone wants to be thin and in shape, including myself. Anorexia is a problem, but it's a minority compared to obesity. We need to get fat under control in America, but due to the U.S. social norms being that we sit on our butts and work 70 hour weeks on computers, it's difficult to find time to cook a healthy meal or have 30 minutes to work out. Shoot, I dont even have 15 minutes a night when I get home from work, before I have to go to bed. I am miserable wearing this fat suit and I need a way out. I would Love for my problem to be too skinny.

July 27, 2011 at 10:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Mountain made

reply to Scott: Rip off Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" doesn't make you sound intelligent, just a theif of literary works by others. Love the bit about flaying of the skin and using it for ladies gloves and gents' boots. Totally J. Swift, almost word for word. Try reading "A Modest Proposal" originally published in 1729 as satire in response to the British question of what to do with the Irish. At least give credit to the author before or after you steal his words.

July 27, 2011 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. laurena

Most overweight people subsisting on junk food are in fact, malnourished. Despite all the hormones and additives encouraging their brains to eat more, they usually keep eating more of what they don't need: fat, sugar, starch.

For example, it is almost impossible to eat too much baked chicken and steamed broccoli with a glass of water in one sitting - the body gets nourishment, tells the brain it's full and that's that. But cover that chicken in corn flakes and fry it in oil, pour Velveeta over the broccoli, and serve the meal with a big glass of cola = you will eat more and probably want a brownie for dessert.

It's not easy, but get moving and try eating simpler foods and your body will find it's healthy weight which is neither anorexic nor obese.

July 27, 2011 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Kay

A couple of people compared prices of apples to bags of chips in saying that is just as inexpensive to eat healty. I call BS! Not sure where you live, but here in West Central Florida, a bag of chips runs $3.99 and apples or oranges run $1.49-1.99 per pound. Guess what? ONE APPLE OR ONE ORANGE weighs a pound (sometimes more). I have found buy one get one free on the chips occasionally and I could buy a mixed bag of apples/oranges – usually 8 of them in the bag – for $6.99. My home made lunch is cheaper with chips than with fresh fruit.

July 27, 2011 at 10:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. JustThinkinOutloud

Lol, I love Rosario Dawson. Such a cool chick. Such a fox.

July 27, 2011 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Planet K

The issue that I have with this article is that the star who said all of this was still happy to take that weight off to get paid. She and others like her complain while cashing the paycheck they receive for helping perpetuate the so-called stereotypes they rail against. They are all hypocrites and they choose to starve themselves so that they can be cast in the next movie, play or be featured on some magazine cover looking emaciated.

July 27, 2011 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. bob

A "form of violence..."??? Really???

July 27, 2011 at 10:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nik

hahahaha this how retarded America is becoming. Women starve themselves and we are somehow perpetrating a form of violence on them.

July 27, 2011 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
  48. Mike

What I resent most about this constant conversation is the underlying insinuation that Men are responsible for the body image complex that women have created for themselves. Women dress for other Women, Women diet for other Women, Women are constantly stressing themselves out to both impress them and to combat other Women. Men spend a lot of time thinking about S. E. X and very little time thinking about body image issues. We simply do not care.

July 27, 2011 at 10:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

Very true, women are obsessed with other women. I don't see many men on TV taking about "this person looked awful on the red carpet" or "what has she done to her hair"... It's almost all women. Then somehow, some way they turn it into men making them crazy. Almost every single one of my friends likes it when their gf or wife just dresses normal and goes natural instead of putting all that makeup on.

July 27, 2011 at 10:43 | Report abuse |
  49. Jonas

I agree wholeheartedly with what Rosario Dawson has said. But the crux of the article is weight and image. I am sorry but the ones of us who are overweight and seriously obese have to take responcibility at some point. The same goes for the anorexic among us. Everyone know it is dangerous to walk those lives both mentally and physically. Yet, it's getting worse.

Sure, the airbrushing is a lie but I suspect most of us can see through that and if we are not telling our children early on about body image and self control issues then we are failing the next generation. Schools need to have more of an active roll as well and more healthy food needs to be available to our children but that is another story all together.

There needs to be a seismic shift in what our society (the press) deems as fit looking. Years ago it was more robust looking women and men because it showed you were wealthy. Now it seems the more toned and tanned you are the more wealth you have. We need a middle ground but until that happens we all have to work on our self image, eat better and exercise more.

Of course the poor eat fast food because it is cheap and available everywhere. However, there are scores of web-sites and help groups out there to get them back on the right path. Healthy food on a budget is not out of the question if you dig a bit. http://tiny.cc/c62k4.

It seems a lot of the people commenting are simply giving up. The ones who can't find 30 minutes a day to exercise are lying to themselves because most of them at some point during are on the computer or watching TV. i just spent 10 minutes writing this! Put down the remote, mouse and lace on your running shoes. Period.

July 27, 2011 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Johnny

It's difficult to take her seriously when she is blessed genetically and doesn't really have to work that hard to look hot.

July 27, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply