home
RSS
Kardashian has psoriasis – what is it?
July 25th, 2011

Kardashian has psoriasis – what is it?

Kim Kardashian learned she has psoriasis in an episode of  “Keeping Up with the Kardashians” that aired Sunday.

Alarmed after finding red, itchy patches on her legs, Kardashian heads to the dermatologist.  Dr. Harold Lancer takes one look at the scaly rash and determines she has psoriasis, a common skin disease that causes skin to dry and form itchy spots.

The severity of psoriasis depends on the person – some people can be covered in these patches; other cases can be associated with arthritis.  For others, it’s just a small nuisance.

“I cannot have psoriasis,” Kardashian tells her dermatologist on the show.

Health.com: Living with the stigma of psoriasis

It turns out Kardashian’s mother, Kris Jenner also has psoriasis.  It’s largely believed to be genetic and related to the immune system.

“I’ve heard of it before, because my mom has always had it.  She didn’t have red flaky dots all over,” Kardashian said.

A type of white blood cell called a T cell fights off infections in the body.  T cells attack healthy skin cells in a person with psoriasis, according to Mayo Clinic. When the dead skin cells and white blood cells can't clear, they form rash.  Researchers believe genetics and environmental factors may trigger the T cells.

“It’s not curable, because you can’t alter the genetics,” Lancer said.

Kardashian’s face falls.

“My career is doing ad campaigns and swimsuit photo shoots,” she said.  “People don’t understand the pressure on me to look perfect.  When I gain a pound, it’s in the headlines.  Imagine what the tabloids would do to me if they saw all these spots.”

Health.com: How to have a happy sex life when you have psoriasis

Treatments such as topical creams, light therapy and medications can reduce the symptoms in some people.  The patches can flare up because of infections, stress, cold weather, smoking and heavy alcohol consumption.

Lancer tells her, “the No. 1 way to help yourself is lead an easier, slower pace life.”

Kardashian blogged that her sister “Khloe freaks me out saying it’s ringworm, but it turns out I have psoriasis!! My mom has had psoriasis for years, so it’s good that I can talk to her about it.”

Health.com: How to take care of psoriasis at home

Follow @CNNHealth on Twitter

Filed under: Autoimmune disorder

1. internet,free gprs,how to make gps

That was a frankly amazing blog!!

October 24, 2011 at 23:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. dripable

Thank god some bloggers can write. Thank you for this article..

October 27, 2011 at 21:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Nike Sneaker Mall,Air Max Shoes,Air Force 1,Dunk SB,Cheap Nike Shoes

Thankfully some bloggers can still write. Thanks for this writing..

December 6, 2011 at 02:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. création site internet

You're completely right with this writing.

December 10, 2011 at 10:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. psoriasis essentials review

May I simply just say what a relief to find someone that truly understands what they are talking about on the web. You certainly understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. It's surprising you're not more popular given that you most certainly have the gift.

March 7, 2012 at 23:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jenna Anick

psoriasis can be very itchy i always use some topical corticosteroid to minimize the redness and itchiness. ,';.*

Latest short article on our blog

October 7, 2012 at 11:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. List of free classifieds websites

Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is awesome, great written and include approximately all vital infos. I would like to look more posts like this .

November 4, 2012 at 13:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. dedektiflik bürosu

I do not even know the way I finished up right here, but I thought this publish was good. I don't understand who you are but certainly you are going to a well-known blogger in the event you aren't already. Cheers!

November 14, 2012 at 11:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Kim Kardashian Pregnant, Kim Kardashian, Pregnant, Kim, Kardashian

I don't even know the way I finished up right here, however I thought this submit used to be great. I do not recognize who you are but certainly you're going to a well-known blogger for those who are not already. Cheers!

December 31, 2012 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. drrachel

psoriasis is really a pain. I saw that she had it on her legs. I have it on my scalp. I've used a lot of shampoos and the best one i have found is PsoriaTrax.

January 4, 2013 at 10:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. fsdshopblogs

Psoriasis is a lifelong condition, so it's really difficult to have it. What's sad is that it does not only attack you physically, but it also scars you emotionally as well. The emotional aspect of this condition is probably harder than its physical manifestations. Dealing with bullies, judgmental people and even regular people is really an emotionally straining task. I hope more and more people become aware that psoriasis isn't contagious and it isn't something to be scared with. For psoriasis treatment options visit http://www.xtracnow.com

March 1, 2013 at 02:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Desmond Morasco

Kimberly Noel Kardashian was born on October 21, 1980 in Los Angeles, California, USA. She is the daughter on the late Robert Kardashian, who had been most common if you are OJ Simpson's lawyer throughout his murder trial.Kim's mother is of Irish descent and her father of Armenian descent. Kim comes from a large family such as three full siblings, two half-sisters, three step-brothers the other step-sister...',^

http://calaguas.orgBrand new brief article on our personal webpage

May 23, 2013 at 06:03 | Report abuse | Reply