home
RSS
Tri Challenge: Team Kendrick takes a cruise
July 12th, 2011

Tri Challenge: Team Kendrick takes a cruise

Since January, six iReporters have been training in the Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge. We’re following along as they prepare to compete alongside Dr. Sanjay Gupta in the August 7 Nautica NYC Triathlon.

Two weeks ago, I went on a family reunion Caribbean cruise. My major concern was being out of my normal environment. However, I was able to manage better than I expected. I did not work out as often as I normally do, but I didn’t beat myself up. (It was a vacation.)

I made little changes that I think worked. I took the stairs whenever I could. I also made sure that my shore excursions were active ones,  such as scuba diving and snorkeling. In terms of nutrition, some days were better than others. A good day would include a breakfast of oatmeal, lunch of chicken and vegetables, and broiled fish and vegetables at dinner. A bad day would include pancakes for breakfast, a hamburger for lunch, and steak for dinner, but I still tried to watch my portion size.

During the whole cruise, I kept reminding myself about the progress I had made, and I did not want to go back. The most memorable part of the cruise is when my family surprised me at dinner with “Team Kendrick” shirts; it really meant a lot to have their support.

I was concerned that I may have lost some fitness on vacation, but my first workout with my trainer afterward was one of the best ever. I swam farther than I had done in the past and really did an excellent job during the run and strength portion of my workouts. We have about 5 weeks to go and I see the end in sight.

From now until the Tri, most of my swim workouts will be in Lake Michigan. I am learning about how to make sure I eat enough calories to ensure I do not bonk - hit the wall -  during the race. This includes energy bars and electrolyte powders. On Saturday we did a mini tri. Although, it was a very hot and humid day we got the workout done and I am feeling more confident about being able to complete the New York City Tri.

1. TriHardNina

GOOOOO Kendrick! I LOVE that pic! You are doing great, and swimming in Lake Michigan??? Wow. See you in 3 weeks! NYC here we come!!!

July 12, 2011 at 16:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. TriHardStasia

I love that your family had shirts made!! How neat!

July 12, 2011 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. AlwaysTri

Lake Michigan is a great body of water to practice in! I do the Chicago Tri every year and it's one of the best with regards to swim. It'll definitely help you in the swim portion of the NY Tri! Good Luck!!

July 13, 2011 at 08:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Heather

Kendrick,
    Keep up the GREAT work! We are all so proud of you! Had a blast on the cruise, was great seeing you! Please continue to keep us updated on your progress!
    Love yOu lots!
    -The Wilson's

July 14, 2011 at 11:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Kristy

I am so proud of you!

July 14, 2011 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Simone

Goooooooooooooooooooo TEAM KENDRICK!!! I am still waiting on my shirt by the way! I am so proud of you and can't wait to see you at the finish line!

July 14, 2011 at 13:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Paula

where is my t-shirt. you are doing great. keep at it.

July 20, 2011 at 08:48 | Report abuse | Reply