home
RSS
Smoking in pregnancy linked to serious birth defects
July 12th, 2011

Smoking in pregnancy linked to serious birth defects

Editor's note: This story was originally published by CNN's partner, Parenting.com.

If all the research about the links between smoking and health problems like lung cancer, heart disease, and stroke, as well as the associations between smoking and its impact on infertility, pre-term delivery, stillbirth, low birth weight and SIDS haven’t been enough to convince you to kick the habit, maybe this will.

A new review of dozens of past scientific studies has definitively linked smoking with certain serious birth defects including heart defects, missing or deformed limbs, gastrointestinal disorders and facial disorders.
Must-Read Summer Safety Tips: Fight Heat Exhaustion, Soothe Bug Bites and More

The study, “Maternal smoking in pregnancy and birth defects,” was published online  in the journal Human Reproduction Update from the European Society of Human Reproduction and Embryology, and is the first-ever comprehensive systematic review conducted to examine which specific birth defects are associated with smoking.

The research team reviewed observational studies published between 1959 and 2010, including 101 research studies.

Dr. Michael Katz, senior vice president for research and globalpPrograms of the March of Dimes, a leading non-profit organization devoted to pregnancy and baby health, says the study “tells us specifically how bad smoking is.”

Is Your Kid Ready For Swim Lessons?

Among the birth defects definitively linked to maternal smoking were increased risk of:

– heart defects
– limb reduction defects—the absence of severe underdevelopment of the hands, feet, radius, tibia, ulna or fibula
– digit anomalies—missing, fused or extra fingers or toes
– clubfoot
– cleft lip or palate
– eye defects
– gastrointestinal defects like gastroschisis, anal atresia, and umbilical/inguinal/ventral hernias

Additionally, the review found evidence that women who smoke are more likely to have a baby with two or more defects.

Although the review included a few surprises about the possible benefits of smoking, for example a reduced risk of skin defects like pigmentation disorders and moles, Dr. Katz said that the “overwhelming trend is that [smoking] is harmful,” and the takeaway message is that, “Any woman who is pregnant and smokes endangers not only herself, but her unborn child.”

19 Ways to Get Pregnant, Fast!

According to data presented at the 2009 14th World Conference on Tobacco or Health in Mumbai, about 250 million women worldwide use tobacco daily. In the U.S., about 20% of women reported smoking in 2009, and despite the known risks, many women still smoke during pregnancy.

Could You Be Pregnant? 16 Early Signs

If you were a smoker, did you quit during pregnancy? Would these findings compel you to quit?

1. Kay

I did smoke all through my pregnancy 6 years ago and even these findings would not compel me to quit. Simply put, I was addicted to cigarettes. My mother also smoked through all of her pregnancies.
    I would love to see the full list of birth defects that were linked because not one of the conditions listed appears with any of us. We were all healthy normal children and so is my son.
    Pregnant women know not to smoke but that knowledge doesn't cure the problem. We really just need better, less expensive, treatments.
    I was able to quit a little over a year ago under the care of a good doctor and with a bit of medicine. Even so, I would never look down on a person with a condition in need of care (addiction) – pregnant or not.
    Kay

July 12, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • yadayada

I don't think your pathetic Kay. Just honest. It's easy for people to judge when they have no idea!

July 12, 2011 at 16:45 | Report abuse |
    • Karma

That shows how much you care about your child. He/she will probably end up as pathetic as you are.

July 12, 2011 at 16:53 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Not pathetic at all. Simply honest. I'm sure those of you sitting in judgment are just perfect.

July 12, 2011 at 18:19 | Report abuse |
    • skarrlette

I love how everyone pretends to care about other peoples kids and what they are diong with them. These are the same people that if Kay and her family needed a place to stay and food or a few months to get on there feet these are the people that would turn their backs, claiming its to inconvenient. Can you say "full of s?"

July 13, 2011 at 05:30 | Report abuse |
    • b

yeah well my mom smoked all through her pregnancy with me. it just doesnt start off a mother son relationship too well when you dont love your kid enough to quit smoking. we have a fairly good relationship, but i do have defects that have do not get talked bout and i know are linked to the smoking. my sister is perfect and i have a lot of facial abnormalities that have made my life a nightmare. thanks mom

November 18, 2014 at 18:55 | Report abuse |
    • b

give me a break. if it just concerned you then fine, but we are talking bout you affecting another person that has to go through the rest of his life with where his development leads him and you are severly impeding that development by smoking. no ones judging. if you didnt know the full effects it can have by smoking while you were pregnant than you are just ignorant and lucky. if you did know you should be put in jail, i know that may sound funny but its not funny when you poison your child while in development.

November 18, 2014 at 19:14 | Report abuse |
  2. Tomato Queen

As there are many kinds of eye defects, I hoped they would be listed specifically, but they aren't, not in this article, not in the original article on parenting.com. I was able to access the journal site but did not see this review listed in the current volume table of contents. Please someone follow up and find out which eye defects specifically are involved in these studies? Thanks.

July 12, 2011 at 11:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • b

if your kid has a defect it was at least exaggerated by the smoking...if not cause by the smoking period

November 18, 2014 at 18:57 | Report abuse |
  3. Rebecca

Duh?

July 12, 2011 at 12:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SLM

That was my exact thought, too.

July 12, 2011 at 13:27 | Report abuse |
  4. Anon

Maybe doctors should start prescribing cannibis for nicoteine addicted pregnant women? The most recent studies show that marijuana is in no way harmful to the unborn child or the mother but I guess we'll just all continue to pretend that weed is evil.

July 12, 2011 at 12:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • somekindastoner

Agreed, also weed helps with nasea and stress. Jamaican pregnant women smoke weed and have perfectly normal babies. I smoked twice very early in pregnancy to help with nasua and my baby is perfectly fine

July 12, 2011 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • Susan

Lol I highly doubt that weed does not harm the unborn. It's smoke going into your lungs. It puts a drug in your bloodstream. Um.. duh? I don't need a study to tell me what common sense should.

July 12, 2011 at 13:11 | Report abuse |
    • Smoke 'Em

Except when you smoke weed, as a smoker or reformed smoker of cigarettes, you'd trade your first born child for a cigarette! LMAO!

July 12, 2011 at 17:50 | Report abuse |
    • Sfoster

You are assuming that marijuana does not harm a fetus. There are no studies either way because it would be unethical to do so. It may be very bad for a fetus, and they do say that marijuana crosses over the placenta... So likely when you are getting high, so is your little baby. That is messed up. Come on. Just because there are no studies saying otherwise does NOT mean that it is harmless. It just means that people acknowledge that it would putting unborn babies at risk to try them, which alone whould tell you something.

July 13, 2011 at 14:06 | Report abuse |
  5. sonas76

What most people don't realize is that tobacco smoke contains the radioactive isotope polonium-210. A heavy smoker might be getting the radioactive equiv. of 200 x-rays a year. If you were pregnant, would you question getting even one x-ray, let alone several hundred?

July 12, 2011 at 12:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. leedia chaki

i use to smoke for last 5to6 year but after i concept i leave smoking coz my doctor advice me.

July 12, 2011 at 12:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Susan

I do think this is pretty silly – of course smoking is not good for the baby. But on the other hand, so many women smoked through pregnancy many years ago (mine included), that it's clearly not all THAT bad. Come on, think about it. What do you eyes tell you? Look around at 40-something people – odds are, their mom's smoked. We're fine at a pretty high rate. These days there's so many hormones floating around in the drinking water, I think fetuses are in more danger from that.

July 12, 2011 at 13:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sonas76

Sure, women back then also popped Valium and slugged back scotch. Getting women to stop such dangerous behaviors during pregnancy has made the birth defect rate drop significantly...in those women in which the behavior continues you still see a higher rate of birth defects. For example, the only way you get a fetal alchol syndrome baby is if the mother drank a lot. You don't see those kids born to a tea-toatler.

July 12, 2011 at 13:24 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What hormones are 'floating around in drinking water'?

July 12, 2011 at 13:49 | Report abuse |
    • Sfoster

Well my mom smoked when she was pregnant with all four of us kids.. Guess what? My sister and brother both have asthma, my brother was born with pneumonia and had to stay in the hospital for a long time in a tent... my other sister had water around her heart and now her daughter did too. All four of us were premature.. and you know what else? All four of us ended up becoming smokers later, (luckily I quit) and I am pretty sure that my mother has emphysema, as she coughs all night long. It does not always have a happy ending. Like I said before... Lots of druggies smoke crack and do heroin when they are pregnant and their babies turn out okay, but that doesn't mean we should be saying hey – it's fine to smoke crack when you're pregnant. If it's bad for you- it is bad for the baby. This just shows how much people care about their kids. Sick.

July 13, 2011 at 14:10 | Report abuse |
    • ccat

Sure, a lot the babies of the parents who smoked might be "fine"....the ones who are here anyway. Doesn't take into account the babies that died from SIDS because their parents chose to smoke during pregnancy and with infants in the house.

August 10, 2011 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • b

just because a lot of babies end up ok with their mothers smoke does not mean its not all that bad. its incredibly selfish! you are feeding your baby oxygen, you are their lifeblood! its worse than handing a baby a cigaratte and lighting it for them! omg dont rationalize your ignorance. and just because some of these mothers think their babies now grown are perfectly healthy does not mean they arent in denial. this life is hard enough to get through if theirs nothing wrong with you.....to put toxic chemicals into your babies body should be a felony at the least.

November 18, 2014 at 19:02 | Report abuse |
  8. Stephanie

Women have the right to do what they will with their bodies, including smoking, eating junk food, and not exercising during pregnancy. If we choose to do that, fine. But just remember this: some bad things are not preventable, but many bad things are. If a woman chooses to participate in activities that could result in poor health of her child, she does not have a leg to stand on in an argument if her child is born less than "perfect." People have such high standards for the "type" of child they want to have, but many of us aren't willing to go the distance to help nurture a child's growth to that point. So the next time you pick up a cigarette while your child is absorbing the same poison you are, don't EVER think you will be justified in any kind of lawsuit or complaint about your baby's health from this point on. You were the first person entrusted to your child's wellbeing, and if you couldn't take it seriously, you can't really expect anyone else to.

July 12, 2011 at 13:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Monica

You're so right! When I found out I was pregnant with my only child, 3 days "late", I quit drinking all alcohol, quit smoking instantly, gave up caffeine and artificial sweeteners, and took that nasty, nauseating prenatal vitamin – every single day of the 41 week pregnancy. It's just what you owe your child, and it's not that hard. On the flip, my MIL smoked and heaven knows what else while pregnant with my dh.. he was only 6#. My mother drank (Germany.. it was normal in the 70s).. to excess on occasion, and I was only 5.5#. My healthy daughter was almost 8# and brilliant. I would much rather my child be safe, or as safe as can be, than enjoy a temporary moment. Some people have no respect for life, and will not consider personal sacrifice.

July 13, 2011 at 10:32 | Report abuse |
    • Sfoster

Wow you are so right. And I absolutely cannot agree with people who say that they cannot quit. When you have a child, you will have to make many sacrifices for them. If you cannot make this one, you are off to a really bad start. I smoke for years and the second I found out that I was pregnant, I quit smoking. It is not that hard. You just have to think about the fact that you are a parent now and have to look out for someone's health besides your own!

July 13, 2011 at 14:13 | Report abuse |
  9. Stymie

My mom smoked while pregnant with me. I am much shorter than all my cousins, I have asthma, pretty sure I had ADD, and still have it as an adult. While I don't judge you for not quitting while pregnant, glad your child was born healthy.

July 12, 2011 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Adam

I smoked my whole life and didn't have one birth defect!

July 12, 2011 at 15:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stephanie

The class clown enters the room...

July 12, 2011 at 15:06 | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Sorry, I tried to contain it.

July 12, 2011 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
  11. Poodles

Don't ever give birth to a duck. It'll eat your innards.

July 12, 2011 at 15:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Adam

(and I don't smoke)

July 12, 2011 at 15:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stephanie

I'm so glad you are not as nuts as I thought you were! I was hoping you were only kidding. I'm hoping some of the other people are only kidding, too. I'm in a major battle with a relative because she doesn't understand why I won't visit her smoke-saturated apartment while I'm pregnant. As you can imagine, the topic has me fired up. No pun intended.

July 12, 2011 at 15:14 | Report abuse |
    • Adam

I totally understand and agree. I have two little girls, and I won't take them places where they'll be exposed to smoke.

July 12, 2011 at 16:06 | Report abuse |
  13. kevin

my mother had 5 kids, she quit smoking only during my pregnancy. 4 were fine, i almost died 5 times due to bad hardware before i was 2. i have atypical asthma, and loonier than a turdhouse rat...although i contain it in order to run a business. i loath smoking and feel that smokers are a rude bunch 99% of the time...'i can do as i please where i please, f you!!!' i tried it, its gross. people who smoke in cars windows up with kids inside should be shot on site.

July 12, 2011 at 16:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jeanette

Kevin,
      To shoot on site is a rather drastic measure, wouldn't you say? Though I understand your statement.

I,too, was a smoker 30+ years ago. I smoked during five pregnancies, though very lightly, maybe 2 0r 3 cigatettes a day. I smaked fairly heavily during fourth pregnancy, about 3/4 pack a day. The first three were normal wieght babies, without any defects. Those three all became smokers. The first two say they cannot quit, though they want to stop smoking. Both are now suffering from COPD. The one quit smoking in mid-twenties and appears fine now at 42 years old. The forth baby developed learning problems and had to have special classes in school while growing up. He continues to smoke and has had a very difficult time with life. I had two more children some years later. Again, a very light smoker during pregnancy. He was born healthy and without health problems, at all. However, I quit smoking about this time – early 1980's, because I decided I was addicted to cigarettes and the thought was intolerable. My last child was born completely smoke free. The fifth boy began to smoke as soon as he was old enough. He coughs constantly and has tried to quit several times without success, yet. The last one experimented, but never really began to smoke. No heath problems other than genetic allergies.

Of course, I blame myself for all the boys smoking and the learning problems in the fourth. All of this took place before cigarettes were deemed addicitive. If I had it to do again, I would never have starting smoking. I am at a loss trying to understand why anyone would choose to start smoking today, with all the education informing people about the facts and dangers of smoking.

I urge all smokers to quit right now,. at all costs; your life and the life of your children depend on it. Good luck and may all your tomorrows be smoke free.

July 13, 2011 at 14:57 | Report abuse |
  14. elzira

I'm pregnant and addicted to cigarettes. Is there anyone out there pointing the finger that can please help me quit, I tried so hard and can't. I hate cigarettes. The taste and the smell. Recently separated from my psycho husband, found myself on hard times. (He tried to kill me last month). He's in jail and I'm still addicted to cigarettes. Not to mention damn near homeless. And all I did was fall asleep one night, and was awakened to him in a drunken rage. Needless to say...I still smoke and desperately want to quit. I love my baby.

July 12, 2011 at 16:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ann Marie

Elzira, it sounds like you have no reason NOT to quit. Cigarettes will only perpetuate your stress, and I think you have a lot of it. I know it sounds awful, but being a quitter myself, your only option may be to quit cold-turkey. Just make up your mind that you don't have another option than to quit right now, then do it. If you need motivation, Google search "neural tube defects" and look at the images. Those very pictures could be the fate of your innocent child. Not to mention that every dollar you spend on a pack of cigarettes is one more dollar that you won't have to spend on your child. Quitting could be one of the most difficult things you do in your life... second only to burying a child who never even had a chance. You have everything to gain by quitting.

July 12, 2011 at 16:36 | Report abuse |
    • Tree

Ask your doctor, who is providing your prenatal care, for help quitting smoking. If you're not receiving prenatal care yet, please seek it, and don't stop until you get it. Look into a restraining order against your ex. Wishing you well.

July 13, 2011 at 07:19 | Report abuse |
    • jeanette

Dear Elzira,
      My heart goes out to you and the situation you are currently facing. I'm sure the urge to smoke is stronger than ever, given the trials you are dealing with. To stop smoking cold turkey is extremely difficult, but can be done with unwavering persistence. Eating citrus fruits or juices helps, so does chewing gum. I found that keeping my hands constantly busy and staying away from other smokers helpful. I put a picture of a 40 year old female smoker on my fridge, with all of her wrinkes and sick-looking complexion. I would take a good long look at her often and tell myself that if I kept smoking, that's what I would look like, too. We were told, at that time, our babies would be of low birth weight – I had already had five children at or above average birth weight, so that didn't work for me. The thought of cigarettes consumed my every second. The craving was unbearable. I tore up cigarettes and stared at them, thinking ' there was one cigarette I had destroyed rather than it destroying me' – and I would go over all the damage the dreaded things caused. I took to calling cigarettes 'death sticks'. Slowly, gradually, The craving became less intense. Until I smelled cigarette smoke. Then I steeled myself and said that I needed to get used to the idea I would always crave the hateful things. And got away from there. Today, just the smell of cigarettes makes feel sick.

I don't know the state you are living in, but your local social services department could be of great help to you. You may not have money for a doctor at this point, but they can help with that, as well. Planned Parenthood may be another option. Most states have free services for abused women trying to get away from abusive boyfriends and husbands. If not, there may be a free service offered by independent groups who fund such services.

You might want to try an internet website that helps with the psychological side of dealing with abuse. It's called lovefraud.com

Best of luck to you. I have been where you are and there is a way out.

July 13, 2011 at 15:55 | Report abuse |
  15. Gerg

I think the only thing which would get people to stop smoking during pregnancy, is the fear of prosecution, much like what's done when women give birth to crack babies.

July 12, 2011 at 16:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fallon

Except women addicted to crack (or meth, or whatever) often don't quit. They just avoid prenatal care so that they don't get caught, and then their children have even more problems than they would otherwise.

July 12, 2011 at 17:56 | Report abuse |
    • Sfoster

They should, shouldn't they? It should be considered child endangerment or abuse!

July 13, 2011 at 14:03 | Report abuse |
  16. Deeza

From whenever man planted tobacco and up until about the last 25 years, no care was paid to smoking while pregnant and it seems most babies turned out just fine. If we were to go by all these horror story warnings, you'd think we'd have a world of malformed, stunted, sick, retarded, short disfigured mutants running around. So, why did most come out fine yet now it's taboo?

July 12, 2011 at 18:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I doubt you notice those who do have birth defects in your everyday life. Those who were born with them either aren't alive or are not the people you see in your workplace. You also seem not to understand that 'will increase the risk' is not the same as "will cause". Work on that, 'kay?

July 12, 2011 at 18:23 | Report abuse |
    • jeanette

Tom,
      Amen to that. No body could tell by looking at at my son that he has the problems he has. He is a strapping six footer, and good looking to boot. Follow his daily life and that's when the problems emerge.

July 13, 2011 at 17:11 | Report abuse |
  17. julie

Over 60, my parents, aunts uncles and all my friends smoked and in the house. Began smoking aroud 20 yrs old. I don't agree with this study but also do think smoking is not good for a person as it is very very addicting and I cannot quit. However, that said – I wonder why I have not died already being around smoke for over 63 yrs. I don't mind truth but I do mind exaggeration and lies. Unless tobacco contains something now it didn't way back when, that might explain the panic. Seems one parson quit smoking and decided the whole world needed to also. I don't know, just seems like alcohol is much much worse but one person would have to throw a hissy about it and make everyone in the world quit that deadly vice also. Ain't going to happen.

July 12, 2011 at 19:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Apparently, Darwin wasn't always right.

July 12, 2011 at 21:06 | Report abuse |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, and sweetie? My father-in-law was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer at age 79. You're not out of the woods yet.

July 12, 2011 at 21:07 | Report abuse |
    • jeanette

Julie, If you have come this far in life without any smoke related illnesses, you are indeed a fortunate person. However, with all the tobacco companies constantly putting more annd more addictive additives into the tobacco, some of which are known carcinogens, you may still have something brewing.

If you feel you truely cannot quit, in spite of your best efforts, may I suggest an alternative? The native Americans are producing cigarettes that are pure tobacco, without addicting additives. Perhaps you could try these for a while and then move into totally quitting. Best of luck to you, Julie.

July 13, 2011 at 15:17 | Report abuse |
    • ccat

Why don't you "agree with this study"? It's pretty common knowledge smoking greatly increases birth defects. Does your research prove differently?

August 10, 2011 at 10:42 | Report abuse |
  18. JehseaLynn

@ ELZIRA – DO NOT DESPAIR, many have gone before you and done fine, myself included. I was a pregnant, smoking, battered woman when I left my husband. I had $16.31 to my name, no car, no job, zero self-esteem, and one son who was 3. Nonetheless, I bravely announced I was going to quit smoking, get divorced – because "love does not come expressed in a fist, or written in a death threat," I told my then-husband – and then go to college AND LAW SCHOOL, TOO! Well, you can imagine the laughter!! But Ann Marie is right. I did it cold turkey. Just closed my eyes and imagined my beautiful little unborn child – SMOKING – everytime I lit up. And everytime I wanted to buy a pack I thought of that image, and quitting was EASY. ELZIRA, I will tell you this, too: I took everything one day at a time, I never let myself "worry ahead," such as thinking like a defeatist ("oh, how can I go to college and still work enough to support us PLUS pay a babysitter because my ex will not pay support, and when will I have time for homework, etc.?). AND WHEN I GRADUATED COLLEGE AND, LATER, LAW SCHOOL, PEOPLE HAD LONG SINCE STOPPED LAUGHING AT THIS FORMER BATTERED WOMAN, FORMER SMOKER. YOU CAN DO IT, TOO. YOU JUST HAVE TO WANT IT.

July 13, 2011 at 04:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sfoster

OMG! Some of you people make me sick! If you cannot quit smoking then you should not have children!! You are endangering your baby's health and that is abuse! If you cannot quit doing something that is bad for your baby, then you clearly are not fit to be a parent! By the way- lots of people smoke crack and do heroin when they are pregnant and their babies turn out just fine, but that does not make it okay! This is disgusting!

July 13, 2011 at 14:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jeanette

S. You will be judged with the same degree of harshness that you judge others.

July 13, 2011 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
  20. Tammy

This research is really eye opening. I was a smoker for 10 years before my husband and I started trying to get pregnant. I didn't want to be pregnant and smoke, so I quit by using electronic cigarettes from south beach smoke. My son is now 3 years old and I'm happy I quit, I still smoke electronic cigarettes but they don't produce smoke, toxins, or anything else that could harm my family. I would suggest if anyone is thinking about getting pregnant to think about quitting smoking first. Kids are a commitment and the first step is making sure they will be born healthy.

July 15, 2011 at 15:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. bad4me

My Mother smoked all thru her pregancies. None of us were low birthweight or have any issues. She wasn't and isn't a heavy smoker, but does still smoke now in her 70s. She hates it, has tried to quit many many times and honestly seemed more stressed everytime she tried to quit. Two of kids, including myself smoke. I got pregnant accidentally and didn't find out I was pregnant until later into the pregancy. (Very thin and carried deep) My doctor advised me to cut back but not to worry about quitting completely, as the stress on me and child would be worse than continuing. He said to only smoke the first half of the cig and put out, as the filter, and my own body would filter much if not all bad substances from my child. I did that. He weighed 10 lbs at birth. No other issues. Great healthy kid and now is an adult who doesn't smoke thankfully. I continue to struggle to quit. I don't smoke in my home and I hate the smell – but oh that hit of nicotine....

August 9, 2011 at 13:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. ccat

I have had two friends smoke through their pregnancies and it disgusted me. They justified it by saying they "knew someone who smoked and their babies turned out fine". Brilliant logic! They also made excuses that quitting would "throw their bodies into shock" and be worse than smoking itself. I suggested weaning off slowly in that case, which they shrugged off. One baby turned out ok; however the other baby was born practically blue and not breathing and had to be rushed to the NICU. He has always had a lot of health and breathing problems.

And I'm sorry, I don't buy the whole "its an addiction and I can't quit" excuse. I smoked for ten years and I quit because I wanted to. Was it easy? no. But it wasn't the hardest thing I've ever done. Your developing baby depends on you to give them the healthiest start possible. Drop the cigarettes.

August 10, 2011 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. maria

Hi
    Such a Nice article.If any he/ she looking for quit smoking tips then can easily get fromhttp://www.quitsmokingpillcoupons.com/

October 13, 2011 at 11:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. jasmine

My daughter-in-law smoked marijuanna during pregnancy, her son is now nine years old, he suffers from muscular spasms and behaviorial symptoms. His mother blames his behaviour on nervouness,

November 8, 2011 at 11:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Pregnancy By Weeks

This is a nice article

December 23, 2011 at 01:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Pregnancy By Weeks

"] Smoking during pregnancy is worst behaviour. Pregnancy By Weeks

December 23, 2011 at 01:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Caiden

Deep thought! Thanks for cortnibuitng.

January 31, 2012 at 21:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. vajyvhffg

OMkdk1 efocwuslgjzw

February 1, 2012 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. lszivbbrf

rpQIZL kfjyjlsdgirv

February 2, 2012 at 13:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. ashlee

I smoked for nearly 15 years, quitting here and there only to start again. The day I peed on that stick and found out i was pregnant I made the decision to do what was best for my child. I have not touched a cigarette since that moment. I found it a lot easier to quit because I was quitting for the health of my unborn child. Women who complain they are addicted and cannot quit are full of it. They are being selfish! These are the women who will expose their children to second hand smoke their entire lives and wonder why they have so many health problems.
    If I can quit anyone can, stop making excuses and do what's right for your child!!!

October 9, 2012 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply