home
RSS
June 10th, 2011

My first experience in a multi-sport race

Saturday, June 4, 2011, marks my first ever multi-sport race: The Sedalia Spring into Summer Duathlon. I woke up at 4 .m. to meet my coach, who was also doing the event so we could make the two hour drive to Sedalia, Missouri, together. When we hit town, we had about 15 minutes until packet pickup began so we decided to drive the bicycle course. It was hillier than I’d expected, but I knew I could do it.

The morning started off very hot and humid. We picked up our race packets and went to scout spots at transition. After setting up our transitions, we went for a quick warm-up ride and then back to transition and did a warm-up run. I was worried at this point, because I just didn’t feel like I was ready to race.

Ready or not, here we go! Our race was set to start at 8 a.m., after a few minute delay; we started off on our first 2-mile run. It’s a flat run course, but not very shady, which would have been nice. We ran along roads, the Katy Trail, and around a pond in a local park. I managed to pace myself nicely for the first run so I’d still have some energy for the following bike and run. I reached transition and pulled my shoes off and put on my helmet and cycle shoes, and off I went on my bike.

The bike course was a little less than 12 miles and as I mentioned, hilly. I knew the bike course was where I’d be strongest, so I focused on powering up hills and recovering down the hills. I was able to pass several people on the bike and maintained a steady pace for the ride despite the wind and temperatures. I made sure to continue hydrating and fueling so that I wouldn’t get dehydrated or run out of energy. After the last climb, I was back into transition. Off with the helmet, on with the running shoes.

My second 2-mile run was not as smooth and pretty as the first. It was the same run course, only backwards, which meant we would start running off-road around a pond. I was able to distract myself talking to a nice gentleman most of the second run and persevered to reach the finish line.

Overall, my performance wasn’t as good as I’d liked because of the heat and humidity, but I finished and I’m happy to say I was 5th overall woman at the race. As I crossed the finish line, exhausted and sweaty, I thought to myself, “I never want to do another race again!” However, after recovering from the heat, I’m happy to say I’m addicted to multi-sport.

1. szahn34

Stasia, You Rock!! NYC will be a piece of cake

June 10, 2011 at 17:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Stef

Good job! You made your first finish, wait til your next!

June 10, 2011 at 20:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Tu

That's awesome, see just goes to show, you don't have to be an elite athlete to participate in multi-sport. Great job!

June 11, 2011 at 08:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. J

These aren't sports, they are exercise contests.

June 11, 2011 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ken

What's your point? She completed the race!

June 11, 2011 at 20:20 | Report abuse |
    • tom Macintosh

I agree. If she can talk while she is "running" she isn't really giving it much effort.

June 12, 2011 at 22:29 | Report abuse |
    • love to run

oh yeah, what do you do? Sit on your butt and complain?

June 13, 2011 at 04:28 | Report abuse |
  5. TriHardNinaLove

Fifth overall woman – incredible!!! Just think, 6 months ago you would not have even considered entering the race. It sounds like such fun! Eight weeks from today, we will all be crossing that finish line and celebrating, TOGETHER AGAIN–Can't wait!!!!

June 12, 2011 at 07:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Cathy W

Heat and humidty in Missouri, during the summer? No! Say it ain't so! (Anyway, congrats)

June 13, 2011 at 09:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. HHA

I hope after the race that no one needs a nurses help but if they do they should consider a 24 hour nurse hotline like this one

August 30, 2011 at 19:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ZieronDX

Просто привет рекомендую Всем сайт, где оргромный архив ссылок на скаивание кинофильмов, всех жанров и направлений скачать свежее кино . Ежечасные обновления, старые, документальные, отечественные и зарубежные фильмы всех жанров. Рай для киноманов. Только лучшее для Вас!!!

September 12, 2011 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply