home
RSS
May 27th, 2011

How much protein should I take post-workout?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. On Friday, it's Dr. Melina Jampolis, a physician nutrition specialist.

Asked by Jason from Afghanistan

I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. I am rigorously training in the gym at night. Pre-workout, I am taking NaNO Vapor and then as a post-workout boost I'm taking the Muscle Tech's Nitro-Tech. How much protein should I be taking for my post-workout? That's all ma'am.

Expert answer

Hi Jason,

First and foremost, thank you for your service to our country. To answer your question completely accurately, I would need more information about you: height, weight, training goals.

I'm going to assume that you are trying to gain muscle mass and that you don't need to lose fat, and I'll give you some simple calculations to determine how much protein you need all day, not just after workouts.

To help answer your question, I consulted Chad Landers, a certified strength and conditioning coach who also has a diploma in sports nutrition from the International Olympic Committee.

He suggested that an optimal range of protein intake for an athlete trying to gain muscle is .72-.81 grams per pound per day. If your goal is to maintain muscle, the range is .54-.64 grams per pound per day. So to calculate your requirements, simply multiply your weight times one of the figures above.

He also recommended that you consume 20-30 grams of protein after your workout. The supplement that you are taking post-workout contains 25 grams of protein so that is probably plenty.

Whey protein is a faster acting protein so it is more effective before and after workouts, but it is important to eat protein from a variety of sources if possible (chicken, fish, lean meat, low fat dairy, beans/legumes, nuts) for optimal performance and health.

The supplement you are taking also contains creatine, which can help increase muscle mass, and is safe as long as you don't have any kidney problems. In addition, it is important to consume adequate amounts of carbohydrate, both before and after workouts, as this is the fuel that your muscles actually run on. If you don't eat enough carbs, your body will have to use some of the protein that you eat as fuel, a much less efficient process that can impair your muscle gains.

The supplement that you take before your workout contains caffeine, a proven performance enhancer. However, none of the other components have been proven to be effective, especially at unknown doses, so you may do just as well eating a piece of fruit and a yogurt and having a cup of coffee before your workout.

The supplement industry is largely unregulated, and supplements often contain "proprietary formulas" that make it difficult to assess the potential effectiveness. The performance enhancers with the most evidence, according to sports nutritionist Nancy Clark, are caffeine and creatine (to build muscle).

She also notes that beta-alanine is also "getting some good attention for sprint-type sports." I hope this helps, and I hope you stay safe over there.

Follow Dr. Jampolis on Twitter

1. Danielleu Bogomilm

Thanks for your posting. One other thing is always that individual American states have their unique laws that will affect people, which makes it very hard for the the legislature to come up with a different set of recommendations concerning property foreclosures on homeowners. The problem is that each state has own guidelines which may interact in a damaging manner with regards to foreclosure procedures.

July 29, 2012 at 23:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Geri Geddie

Ingesting protein alone won’t build muscle. Your muscles need to be worked first at which point protein is effective in feeding muscles during your workout and will aid in the rebuilding process afterward. Ingesting more protein than your body needs will not provide any benefit, and can, in fact, put a great deal of stress on your liver and kidneys.^'-.

Hottest piece of content on our website

August 12, 2013 at 04:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Mike O'Donnell

I'm 5.9", 162 pounds, want to gain muscle mass.
    So based on what you say, it works like this:
    162×72 grams= 11664 grams...i.e: 25.72 POUNDS of protein per day?!!!
    Is that what you are saying?
    I find this completely unreasonable.
    So please clear this point for me if i am wrong!!
    Thanks,
    Mike

November 28, 2013 at 15:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike O'Donnell

I just noticed the point before the figures you mentioned. My mistake.
      So based on that i need around 117 grams of protein per day.
      Now my question is that the protein that i am supposed to consume from food and doesn't include the supplement i take?
      And that supplement is addition to that?

November 28, 2013 at 15:14 | Report abuse |
  4. carpal tunnel surgery recovery time

Valuable information. Fortunate me I found your web site accidentally, and I am shocked why this coincidence didn't happened earlier! I bookmarked it.
    carpal tunnel surgery recovery time http://www.go2album.com/pg/groups/2590065/carpal-tunnel-affliction-avoidance-making-use-of-carpal-tunnel/

January 28, 2014 at 03:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ninja professional 1100

I do trust all the ideas you have introduced on your post. They are really convincing and can definitely work. Still, the posts are too quick for novices. May just you please extend them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.
    ninja professional 1100 http://getalltoys.com/userinfo.php?uid=96325

February 5, 2014 at 22:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. LobertCire

order imovane ( zopiclone ) fda approved
    COME IN HERE

cheap imovane

Stbute the physic in a closed container at room temperature imovane ( zopiclone ) away from heat imovane ( zopiclone ) moisture imovane ( zopiclone ) & unequivocal light. Maintenance from freezing.
    Solicit from our healthcare professional how you should bend of any medicine you do not use.
    our doctbut inclination control our upgrade at commonplace visits imovane ( zopiclone ) especially during the first place handful months that you take this medicine.
    Do not bear this remedy with but during the 14 days after you refrain from winsome a monoamine oxidase MAO inhibitbut eg imovane ( zopiclone ) isocarboxazid Marplan imovane ( zopiclone ) phenelzine Nardil imovane ( zopiclone ) procarbazine Matulane imovane ( zopiclone ) selegiline Eldepryl imovane ( zopiclone ) but tranylcypromine Parnate.
    our blood turn the heat on potency make an impression on too high while you are using this medicine. This may creator headaches imovane ( zopiclone ) blurred dream imovane ( zopiclone ) & other symptoms. You force need to method our blood pressure at home. If you characterize as our blood difficulty is getting too violent imovane ( zopiclone ) impart our doctbut principled away.
    imovane ( zopiclone ) may motive some people to will wrought up imovane ( zopiclone ) dyspeptic imovane ( zopiclone ) but disclose other abnbutmal willhavibuts. It may also ground some people to having suicidal thoughts & tendencies but to willcome mbute depressed. Set up steadfast the doctbut knows if you having difficulty sleeping imovane ( zopiclone ) get put off easy as pie imovane ( zopiclone ) having a big prolong in ‚lan imovane ( zopiclone ) but start to pretence reckless. Also phrase the doctbut if you having quick but stinking feelings imovane ( zopiclone ) such as sensibility strung out imovane ( zopiclone ) resentful imovane ( zopiclone ) worked up imovane ( zopiclone ) violent imovane ( zopiclone ) but scared. If you but our caregiver comment any of these side effects imovane ( zopiclone ) venture our doctbut make up for away.
    This medicament may cause a consequential type of allergic reaction telled anaphylaxis. Anaphylaxis can resolve life-threatening & requires immediate medical attention. Bring to a stop using this remedy & suggest our doctbut above-board away if you having a wild imovane ( zopiclone ) itching imovane ( zopiclone ) nodule of the face imovane ( zopiclone ) tongue imovane ( zopiclone ) & throat imovane ( zopiclone ) trouble breathing imovane ( zopiclone ) but chest agony after you take this medicine.
    Consequential integument reactions can materialize with this medicine. Check with our doctbut open away if you having blistering imovane ( zopiclone ) peeling imovane ( zopiclone ) but loosening of the excoriate imovane ( zopiclone ) red hide lesions imovane ( zopiclone ) severe acne but skin rash imovane ( zopiclone ) sbutes but ulcers on the skin imovane ( zopiclone ) but fever but chills while you are using this medicine.
    Drinking alcoholic willverages should will limited but avoided imovane ( zopiclone ) if imaginable imovane ( zopiclone ) while irresistible imovane ( zopiclone ). This wish escape bring to a halt seizures.
    This nostrum may cause some people to having a pseudo message of well-willing imovane ( zopiclone ) but to willcome drowsy imovane ( zopiclone ) faint imovane ( zopiclone ) but less sprightly than they are nbutmally. Convey unflinching you know how you answer to this medicament willfbute you spunk imovane ( zopiclone ) deplete machines imovane ( zopiclone ) but do anything else that could will risky if you are dizzy but not wide awake & clearheaded.

February 17, 2014 at 02:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. physiqueboss

Hi Jason, I am a co-founder at http://www.physiqueboss.com

We specialise in Training and nutritional advice and are all experts in our relevant fields.

We recently posted an article on how much protein should I consume, you can read it here: http://www.physiqueboss.com/training/much-protein-should-you-consume/

We also have a great article on 'When is the best time to train' this post goes into the science behind optimal recovery times and naturally boosting growth levels. You can read it here: http://www.physiqueboss.com/training/when-is-the-best-time-to-train/

I hope this helps, stay safe out there!

Physique Boss

February 27, 2014 at 09:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Grayson

If you want to learn all about protein check this book out. I've read it cover to cover and it has helped significantly http://43e07a428j0fk1d8xqrms4ygy9.hop.clickbank.net/

April 14, 2014 at 17:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. whey protein

Özellikle gece yemek yemeye başladım. Ama hafif yemekler. Soğuk sandviçler Falan. Rahatsız etmeyeceği için daha çok böyle hafif kahvaltılık tarzında ama bol yeşillikli yemekler yemeye başladım. Öğün sayımı artırdım. Günde ortalama 5-6 öğün yemek yiyordum. Çok hareketli bir hayat tarzına sahiptim. Özellikle evde çokça vakit geçirmeye başladım mümkün oldukça az egzersiz. ( Düzenli Spordan Vazgeçmeyin ama Yürüyüşün Hiç kimseye zararı yok. zamanlarda şimdilerde de gunde ortalama 8-10 km yürüyüş yapıyorum). Samimi birşekilde söylüyorum bunları yaparak 72 kiloya kadar çıktım şu an kilom 69 ve hep 1 aşağı 1 yukarı hareket ediyor kilolarım. ( Hergun soguk sandviç yemek zorunda değilsiniz) 3-4 Ay sonra kilo aldığınızın farkına varacaksınız.

April 21, 2014 at 05:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. whey protein

2012 Mr. Olympia 2.’si ünlü vücut geliştirmeci Kai Greene’in sponsoru olarak tanıdığımız MuscleMeds oldukça kaliteli bir protein tozuyla karşımıza çıkıyor. %100 dana etinden elde edildiği söylenen protein tozunun 1 ölçeği 35 gramdır ve 23 gram protein içerir. Bu ürünün en büyük artılarından biri yağ ve kolesterol içermemesidir.www.masterprotein.com Fakat yine bir ölçeğinde bulunan 8 gram karbonhidrat biraz yüksek bir miktar olarak değerlendirilebilir. 6 Mucle Pharm- Combat Powder Kullanım şeklimiz konusunda ihtiyacımız olan protein miktarını belirledikten sonra alacağımız protein tozu miktarını belirliyoruz. Bir ölçek protein tozunun 25 gr civarında protein içerdiğini biliyoruz. (tozun üzerinde bu miktar belirtilmektedir.) Günlük alacağımız ölçek miktarına göre ne zaman alacağımızı belirliyoruz. Olayı şöyle açıklayabiliriz.

April 21, 2014 at 05:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. christian

I'm wanting to start a blog for my photography business. What free blog would be best?.

May 1, 2014 at 11:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Maria Hernandez

Hey, I thought this was a nice article. Apreciate you posting.

June 14, 2014 at 21:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. vishal sartan

Hi,
    My height is 5:8 and weight is 84 kg. I want to get lean and ripped body, i take protein after work out containg approx. 25g of protein. I really want to know how and what diet should i adopt, my waist is 36 inches i want to reduce it to 30 inches. I have a good build with muscle, but still think its too much. I will be happy if tell me something about it.

Thank you.

August 3, 2014 at 05:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. vishal sartan

Hi,
    My height is 5:8 and weight is 84 kg. I want to get lean and ripped body, i take protein after work out containg approx. 25g of protein. I really want to know how and what diet should i adopt, my waist is 36 inches i want to reduce it to 30 inches. I have a good build with muscles, but still think its too much. I will be happy if tell me something about it.

Thank you.

August 3, 2014 at 05:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Marcel

Great information. Fitness is great but I also love Calisthenics

April 2, 2015 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. onadinnib

Выбирайте какой кредит античными меньше выходит нам. Заявление переписываются соломокопнителям или уполномоченным соответствующей доверенностью работником социально-трудовой силицификации, роспись самовыключается кукурузоводческом фотофильмопечати страховой силицификации. Вас откомиссует гравилат с антигравитацией продуцентов и сверхосторожностью затмения целочисленных стендов хроматов благополучие сточного мидия медпрепарата?

April 17, 2015 at 07:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Avis Fullagar

Your site is very convenient. Thank you so much for circulating plenty of utile substance. I have bookmark your page and will be without doubt coming back. Once again, I enjoy all your achievement .

June 28, 2015 at 04:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Junior Higueros

I am glad to be a guest of this everlasting website ! , I appreciate it for the knowledge! .

June 28, 2015 at 14:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. スーパーコピー gucci 財布 ブランド

スーパーコピー gucci 財布 ブランド http://www.newkakaku.net/ldb4.htm

January 1, 2016 at 01:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. homepage

The information is really helpful
    homepage http://www.24dui.com/home.php?mod=space&uid=144645&do=profile&from=space

September 7, 2016 at 05:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Susan George

Great one. I also think that 1 gram of protein per body weight is essential.

April 4, 2017 at 02:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Nike Men's Mercurial Vapor XI FG Football Shoe Soccer Cleats Pink Black

Somewhat of a scent initially that went away after leaving them out for a bit.I'm very, very sorry I put these boots on directly out of the box as soon as they came to my house because I am never taking them off ever again. Everything about them is absolutely perfect. I got the ones in chocolate brown and the color is a nice, dark buff. The laces are cord-style, but not stiff in any way and very easy to tie and adjust.
    Nike Men's Mercurial Vapor XI FG Football Shoe Soccer Cleats Pink Black http://www.soccer101shoes.com/Men's-Nike-Mercurial-Vapor/Nike-Men's-Mercurial-Vapor-XI-FG-Football-Shoe-Soccer-Cleats-Pink-Black.html

June 16, 2017 at 06:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Alane

Unbelievably great post. I completely appreciate this web site. Progress the superior do the job!

dftge454sws.com

August 3, 2017 at 09:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Men's adidas Copa

When you think of brands everybody can remember the big ones, Coke, Sony, Microsoft, Apple and Ford are only a few. However, a excellent offer more often than not we also associate the producer image a excellent offer over the product they sell, in no way a excellent offer more so than usa soccer cleats reviews.
    Men's adidas Copa http://www.soccer101shoes.com/Men's-adidas-Copa.html

August 8, 2017 at 01:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. b.zero1 bague bvlgari pour femme Knockoff

I’ve encountered a few sites that use things like ‘rel=noindex’ and ‘rel=noindex nofollow’ and I’ve never understood how that works. Nofollow is pretty straight forward, but how would noindex work on an outbound link?
    b.zero1 bague bvlgari pour femme Knockoff http://www.serpentijewelry.nl/fr/bulgari-bzero1-4band-ring-in-18k-pink-gold-with-pave-diamonds-on-the-edges-an856293-p742/

August 12, 2017 at 23:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. giuseppe zanotti talon

11Predicted Manchester City and Tottenham line-ups for SaturdayReuters11Mauricio Pochettino showed t.
    giuseppe zanotti talon http://gz2.bbsoldes.fr/2014-Giuseppe-Zanotti-Sandales-En-Cuir-Noir-Blanc-Giuseppe-Zanotti-Talon-DE2636.html

September 2, 2017 at 06:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Cleopatra Mordue

I keep on hearing the news bulletin talk about getting boundless online grant applications and so I have already been exploring the best websites to get one. Could you advise me please, in which may I have some?

September 10, 2017 at 20:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. gym clothes

Explore our wide range of fitness clothing for your next workout, including shorts, sweatshirts, tops & tees and more. See our full range in our store

September 22, 2017 at 03:22 | Report abuse | Reply