home
RSS
Zahn: I weigh less than I have in 20 years
May 26th, 2011

Zahn: I weigh less than I have in 20 years

In baseball slang the phrase “hitting below the Mendoza line” refers to a player having a batting average below .200. If you want to continue to play Major League Baseball you better not hit below the Mendoza Line.

I am happy to say that I am below my Mendoza Line for the first time in over 20 years.

The line I am referring to is the 200 pound line. When I started this adventure back in November my weight was 261 pounds and the thought of being under 200 was inconceivable.

Over the past several years strict dieting with a little exercise had gotten me down to 217. That is the lowest that I can remember. I was hoping that I could get back to that level, but never considered that I could actually get under 200 pounds.

As I got closer and closer I knew that the day that I would be under 200 was coming. Workouts continued, healthier eating and then one morning I stepped on the scale and it said 198.6!

What was the first thing I did when I saw that number? It was 5:30 a.m. so there was no yelling and jumping for joy.  But I did take a picture and tweeted. I had to let someone know, so why not the whole twitter world?

The amazing thing is that I did this without the super strict dieting that I had tried in the past. I have made changes in my diet – more fruits and veggies, less cheese and junk foods and more water.  But, on the other hand, I still eat pizza and hamburgers and drink beer-  just smaller portions and less often.

It doesn’t feel like the diets that I had tried in the past. Obviously, I wasn’t training for a triathlon with previous diets, but this hasn't been nearly as challenging and restrictive as I thought it would be.

Now the biggest challenge is finding clothes to wear that actually fit! I think I am up for that challenge.

1. Tracey

Congrats!!

May 26, 2011 at 16:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Stasia

Go Scott!! See you soon!

May 26, 2011 at 19:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Team Kendrick

Hey Scott, Congrats you are an inspiration!

May 26, 2011 at 21:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. TriHardNina

Yay Scott!!! Great news, great blog. It DOES feel good to be getting fit, doesn't it? I'm so proud of you! (And of all us , really...)
    See ya in NYC!

May 26, 2011 at 22:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Nicole

Dr. Zahn is my children's pediatrician. He is a wonderful, warm, caring doctor and does an amazing job. It's great to see that he is doing so well personally also. (Plus, the kids just got a real kick out of seeing Dr. Zahn's picture on CNN.com!}

May 27, 2011 at 18:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Pam in Maine

Congrats to you! Well done.

May 29, 2011 at 09:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. tacomaster

Congratulations! Im in the same boat. I like hearing inspirational stories of someone who has made it

May 31, 2011 at 01:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Thanu

Hi Sweetie

Lets both try to loose some weight for our good health!.

LUSM