home
RSS
May 24th, 2011

Could I have PTSD from being bullied?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. On Tuesdays, it's Dr. Charles Raison, an associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Emory University, and an expert in the mind-body connection for health.

Asked by Sue from Canada

I have been harassed for many years at work due to the fact I am considered a disabled person. I can't do some jobs because I don't have the strength or endurance. People taunted me, saying stuff like saying I was a hypochondriac. They made me do work I couldn't physically do, and I'm harassed almost on a daily basis. During this time, I developed major depression, and last year I needed time off from work because of it. I feel I have some signs of PTSD because I can't work in certain areas of the plant I work in.

I started cutting two years ago to deal with the stress and getting suicidal thoughts, which I still deal with at this time. I am getting counseling, and I am taking medication for my depression and my ADHD. I think of the teenagers who have killed themselves because of bullying, and I understand how they felt. That is how I feel. I now work more in an area where people treat me better, but I can't forget the fact that some of my co-workers drove me to have suicidal thoughts and cutting. I have been with this company for 26 years. I was told to forget about it since they are treating me better, but I just can't get past the hell they put me through day in and day out. Could I have PTSD or complex PTSD?

Expert answer

Dear Sue,

I feel for what you went through. I'm glad you are in a better place now, but I also completely understand how hard it can be to let go of old hurts, even when holding onto them damages us far more than the people who caused us the pain.

I was the victim of a terrible bully when I was a small child, and the effects of this experience have never completely left me. To this day, I overreact whenever anyone tries to bully me in even the subtlest ways, because I was so terrorized as a child. And I'm not the only one who suffered.

Recently, I saw an old friend from Germany who lived in our town as an exchange student 35 years ago and who had been repeatedly beaten up by the same bully for being a little bit different. I hadn't seen my old German buddy in 20 years, and the first thing he wanted to tell me was how much he still hated the bully after all these years.

When dealing with a bullying situation, there are two essential things to be done. You've already accomplished the first of these, which is to make the bullying stop - either by removing yourself or by getting the bully or bullies removed.

The second step is more difficult, and that involves getting over the experience emotionally, either by finding the strength to understand and in some way forgive the bully (or bullies) or by getting the experience into a place in your mind and heart where it no longer interferes with your daily life.

Not knowing you, I can't make specific recommendations for how to proceed in regards to the second step, but let me make a couple of general comments.

First, it is very hard to forgive people without the offenders recognizing their wrongdoing, which is often not possible. In my experience, some type of spiritual practice is often the best way to begin the hard task of forgiving, not so much for the other person but for your own peace of mind.

Second, I am glad you are in counseling. I strongly recommend that you focus specifically on the bullying situation in your therapeutic work, even if it means going over and over things in detail. I have used this approach very successfully in adults who were experiencing PTSD symptoms as a result of bullying.

Finally, although it is difficult, try not to beat yourself up over the fact that others have bullied you. Recognize that the shame induced by bullying is one of the most potent mental poisons a human can swallow, so don't be hard on yourself about the fact that you are struggling with this issue.

My German buddy has led armed convoys into Afghanistan but still wrestles with rage and terror over a bully from the schoolyard days. You are not alone in your struggle.

1. blabbermouth

Here is another make-believe illness that we can use to apply for benefits.

May 24, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • joe

My guess is that you are probably a bully.

May 24, 2011 at 13:50 | Report abuse |
    • Fred Evil

I agree with Joe, if you must belittle this, you are probably a bullying jackwagon yourself.

May 24, 2011 at 15:47 | Report abuse |
    • Anachronism

Yeah, blabbermouth is totally a bully – the same way anyone who disagrees with President Obama is racist and everyone who disagrees with PETA secretly nails bunnies to the walls of their basement.

Or, alternatively, he's just a guy who is fed up with people failing to master their feelings like the functional, worthwhile adults they should be. Folks, there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking potshots at grown men and women for mewling like toddlers with scrapped knees.

May 24, 2011 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
    • TreeTop

Wow. I can't believe someone would respond to this heart-wrenching story with such a hateful comment. What a jerk! My husband was diagnosed with PTSD because of his abusive childhood. Maybe if you had experience something like this you would be more understanding.

May 24, 2011 at 16:51 | Report abuse |
    • Don_J

PTSD from being bullied... REALLY, so maybe you can get if from constipation too, you know when you have that really big...long one that just refuses to go, or maybe kidney stones.

P.S. look at your comments and see who's doing the bullying now.

May 24, 2011 at 17:00 | Report abuse |
    • Jose

I agree. I think the true illness here is being too sensitive and taking oneself soo seriously. Lighten-up. Geez

May 24, 2011 at 18:50 | Report abuse |
    • NobodySpecial

Karma's going to get right back at you. Don't be surprised when YOU become a victim of bullying.

May 24, 2011 at 18:51 | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

Wow, I wonder how many would come forward if you had your real name posted and say "He/she used to bully me all the time"

May 24, 2011 at 20:12 | Report abuse |
    • j

blabbermouth

I think your comment reflects the mentality of people and their unwillingness to explore why some people in society struggle to no avail. Clearly, the system that we have is failing desperately and based on the comment you left at the end of this article you are not helping our society evolve or grow. I grew up with bullies hounding me like dogs. After years of training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu I have the ability to handle myself if confronted physically with ease. I have also traveled throughout North America as a corporate trainer for a very large company. This experience developed my ability to communicate in a such a manner that NO ONE dares speak to me like they did when I was young. Yet, I realize no amount of work to prepare for the next assault seems to help with the anxiety I feel. My sister showed me the list of PTSD symptoms last week. I met nearly everyone despite my successes in the external world. Internally, I still struggle. People like you, with their insensitivity and lack of compassion justified by dollars is barbaric and simply not working. Peace to you, for I know you are hurting.

j

And Sue, thank you for your courage to speak. This article helped me immensely.

May 24, 2011 at 21:22 | Report abuse |
    • TheTeacherThePreacher

Your type is everywhere...You were a real big man throwing your weight around when you were in school, but in the adult world you keep your mouth shut, 'cause your livelihood depends on pleasing some dweeby little overeducated nerd whose lunch money you would have stolen back in the day. These days, though, you are his b-h. Sound familiar?

May 24, 2011 at 21:31 | Report abuse |
    • Lila

I think too many people are tempted to dismiss PTSD as simple depression. Having been through it myself, I can tell you that it's far different. It's an overwhelming ongoing emotional reaction. You know that rush of adrenaline "fight or flight" automatic reaction? With PTSD, you get to live in that moment for months or longer. Obviously, you can't sleep and you have endless nightmares. At its start, I couldn't sleep past 5am without being forced to get up and walk to get rid of the excess adrenaline. For months afterward, random emotional feelings would just "wash" over without a cause. It's not really "mental" illness (like schizophrenia which affects perception) as much as "emotional" illness.

I'm sure most people think it can't happen to them. Well, so did I. PTSD comes completely unexpectedly and it is like a knee-jerk reaction to whatever horrible experience triggered it. You can't reason your way out of it. When one is living through the worst of it, you have no idea if it ever gets better. While mine did, I can't speak for those who have had much worse experiences than mine. I'm not military, but going through this experience, I can understand how this problem could lead to suicide.

May 24, 2011 at 22:27 | Report abuse |
    • SkekLach

It's not simply about helping the person heal or giving them special treatment. PTSD going unchecked is a recipe for a violent outburst. These people getting treatment for this could save a life or two.

May 25, 2011 at 07:58 | Report abuse |
    • Namby Pamby Jackwagons

As someone who was bullied often as a child, I agree that this is a completely ridiculous, self-serving, woe-is-me article. We are becoming a nation of namby-pamby whiners and dream up a "condition" for everything under the freakin sun. Man up, stop making medical excuses for every flippin emotion and learn how to deal. The only one who can make you a loser is yourself.

May 26, 2011 at 13:01 | Report abuse |
    • I agree!

I was bullied by other kids alla lot. Eventually, you have to let go and learn to stand up for yourself. Why do Americans cry to a shrink over every little thing and look for a medical excuse and pills? It's called LIFE – if people can survive war, starvation, the Holocaust, slavery, and natural disasters, you can survive this. Grow up.

May 26, 2011 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
  2. Maria

Sue is HOPING she has PTSD so she can quit working and get disability. Mark my words. Otherwise, why does she need a NAME for how she feels? She wants a diagnosis, that's why.

May 24, 2011 at 13:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rasko41

Sounds like you're HOPING she's faking. Maybe we should just try and get away from wishful thinking altogether. WADR I think you're setting a very bad example.

May 24, 2011 at 16:40 | Report abuse |
    • MoodyMoody

She clearly states that she is ALREADY disabled, at least partially. PTSD is rarely so crippling that someone could get disability payments for it. She wants the diagnosis because she wants to understand.

May 24, 2011 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
    • Sue

Maria I still want to work but I can't do the full 40 hours a week due to physical health and mental health issues. Yes I have applied for a disability pension but I can still work at the same time they will just deduction half of what I make from there check then I could get a clothing allowance for work and a Diabetes diet money. I can't afford to go on disability full time and I would be bored at home. I want to know the Diagnoses so that the Drs can treat me for it. Think of it if you have a cold but then realized you might have Allergies instead wouldn't you want to be treated for the proper thing. Also people who have PTSD the Drs might use different method to help that person then if they didn't have PTSD

Sue

May 24, 2011 at 17:28 | Report abuse |
    • pattysboi

fr joebiwanbaloney:

>... You know what I do when I have a tough situation that isn't to my liking? I find another job, relationship, etc...<

Well, yippee for you, joey. Now. Grow UP, get a life and realize that jobs are not that easy to find anymore. PTSD is a REAL diagnosis, no matter what YOU think. Sue isn't "whining", she's stating a true FACT.

May 24, 2011 at 18:48 | Report abuse |
    • NobodySpecial

Your apathy is unbecoming. I hope you don't have any children. If you do, I'd feel sorry for them. You'd make a horrible parent.

May 24, 2011 at 18:52 | Report abuse |
    • Sandra

hey Braintrust Maria, did you read that she is already disabled? My bet, from your rather crass comments, you were a prize bully in school, weren't you? She wants to know if it's depression or PSTD. Who wouldn't want to know? Other than bullies

May 24, 2011 at 20:13 | Report abuse |
  3. OnTheRoad

Seems that now days, you can have whatever problem that you and your lawyer can dream up! And then blame it on anyone that you wish (as long as he/she/it/they have money)!

May 24, 2011 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Richard

If only that were true, or I have a really bad lawyer, I have been in constant dibilitating pain for over 10yrs now. True I only think of sucide on days thay end with a "y" I have been told find a job or starve, someday I might go postal from the pain and intolerance I deal with at work at some point, in the mean time. I go to work. to put a roof over my head, I keep quiet about the pain, and suffer. I also get anoyed over these crybabies who carry on that they want a check not work. The boss wants things! oh my, must be why they supply a paycheck. What with the rightwingers trying to colapse the safety net you might as well not rock the boat, it's hard to get a replacment job these days, forget the job of your dreams. Stick it out till they carry you out on a board that's the American way!

Good Luck; Another borken American worker!

May 24, 2011 at 18:47 | Report abuse |
    • Liza Null

Oh I dunno, I was able to "resolve" my bullying situation on my own, without using a lawyer. After having been punched in the face, thrown down a flight of stairs, had various nasty things thrown and sprayed on me, a mean dog sic'ed on me, and screamed obscenities at me, I was able to resolve my bullying situation to the satisfaction of EVERYONE who knew me, and best of all, we all still laugh about it.

After two years of hell at my high school, I went to the end-of-the-senior-year party, being held at some jock's house, and there he was, there was my tormentor, passed out cold.

I went to one of the bathrooms and found a razor, went back into the den, and shaved the eyebrows off my tormentor. That's right – shaved 'em right off.

Then my friend and I got back in my car, and I went home. Every once in awhile I would turn over in my bed and visualize him laying there, his shiny shiny shiny forehead, and I would just laugh and laugh.

The next day, someone called my house and I picked up the phone, "Hello?" Someone was at the other end but couldn't get up the nerve to say one word to me. I slammed the phone down and went swimming.

Shortly thereafter, I left for college.

Well........ that's it. That's how you deal with a bully – you shave their eyebrows.

Worked for me, anyway.

May 25, 2011 at 14:02 | Report abuse |
  4. TomN

Whatever happened to taking responsibility for our own experience and stop blaming our reactions on others. The bullys will get what's coming to them eventually but the way you deal with it is by taking responsibility for yourself. Either you can stay a victim your whole life and make other pay or you can accept it, deal with it and get on with your life. You can't change the past but you can make the future.

May 24, 2011 at 14:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jessica

The person who wrote the story was a child and didn't have the skills to resolve bullying on his own. There are work place bullies and I have been a victim of two of them. Everyone first believed them with their lies that they were not bullying me but long after I had left the job for greener fields karma finally caught up with those two, they got caught in the act and canned a few days later.

May 24, 2011 at 16:58 | Report abuse |
    • NobodySpecial

You have the compassion of an anvil. I also hope you stone-cold robot never have any children.

May 24, 2011 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
    • Liza Null

Or you can do what I did, and shave off the eyebrows of your tormentor while they're passed-out cold.

Worked for me. Try it.

If you can't get to their eyebrows, then another good trick is to throw a tuna fish sandwich behind the file cabinets in their office. This is especially effective if your tormentor is a woman, and everyone thinks they know where that smell is coming from, and HR feels the need to talk to her about her, uh, her "hygiene". That works pretty good too, as it's really quite humiliating.

Not to mention supremely satisfying.

May 25, 2011 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
  5. Wow

Everyone gets bullied from time to time. When I was younger a kid go so out of control towards me he knocked me unconscious. Doesn't mean I whine about it, and try to claim ptsd. Grow the hell up. If you let something like that rule your life your just being the same little kid, only a memory is pushing you around, and your crying about it. Get over yourself and stop trying to compare it to ptsd. You don't get such a debilitating condition from schoolyard bullies. And pushing for such a diagnosis just makes you look insensitive to those unlucky enough to have it.

May 24, 2011 at 14:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MrsFizzy

Did you read the article? She isn't even talking about childhood bullying, she's a disabled person who's got to work for a living and was/is bullied in the workplace. She IS grown up. Not everyone can just shrug it off, so lucky you.

May 24, 2011 at 15:55 | Report abuse |
    • Lin

Did you even bother to read 'Sue's' question? She is not a little kid who was picked on in the schoolyard. She has a disability which affects her physically and which was the trigger for the harassment, since there is nothing a bully likes better than someone they perceive as a vulnerable person. The bullies are adults, not little schoolkids. She was not bullied 'from time to time,' it was daily, and it sounds like it went on for years. No one can feel constantly threatened for such an extended period of time without aftereffects. You tell her to grow up? You too, then. Grown ups should have the ability to be empathetic.

May 24, 2011 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • Rasko41

More wishful thinking (what else is new?). Maybe (I'm saying MAYBE because I don't know and neither do you) she has a real problem. Why do so many of us wish that our own problems are real and everybody else's are fake?

May 24, 2011 at 16:42 | Report abuse |
    • Rasko41

The hilarious part of thie dialogue, is that whenver anybody whines about people not taking responsibility, it's always somebody ELSE who's the irresponsible one!

May 24, 2011 at 16:43 | Report abuse |
    • Sue

Wow I get you are not a sensitive person. I always was a sensitive person all my life. Was diagnosed in 2004 with ADHD around the same time I got a disease from the flu shot called CIDP. It is a disease very similar to GBS and it affect the nerves in my body. I have been working for then for 20 years when that happen and I lost my strength and endurance and it changed my life forever. Then in 2007 when I was having more then 1 problem people at works said I was a hypochondriac but my test result showed I had more then 1 problem. It turn outs 6 months later that I was actually having a relapse of the CIDP which included sudden hearing lost in both ears. Now when on a daily basis you get bullied or harassed and people make you feel like your a nobody useless it takes it toll on a person especially if they know your a weak person who has a hard time to stand up for yourself. This has been going on for years. Unless you have walked in my shoes day in and day out your don't really know.

Sue

May 24, 2011 at 17:41 | Report abuse |
    • NobodySpecial

So, how long have you been a bully?

May 24, 2011 at 18:53 | Report abuse |
    • thomas fines

I thnk you are full of crap. Why get down on people who are honestly trying to improve their emotional/mental outlook. Hey, if you are fine, good on you. But let others have the freedom to pursue whatever helps make them whole without going on the attack.
      We need more empathy in this country.

April 19, 2013 at 01:52 | Report abuse |
  6. Rob

Am I the only one who glanced at the headline for the article and wondered how you could end up with an STD from bullying?

May 24, 2011 at 14:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rasko41

May 24, 2011 at 16:44 | Report abuse |
    • caller id blocked

Maybe you're dyslexic?

May 24, 2011 at 20:23 | Report abuse |
    • Liza Null

Well you could bring the STD aspect into the situation if you tell your tormentor that, after having been treated so badly by them now you're not sorry, after all, for sleeping with their spouse/boyfriend/girlfriend/sister. And that you hope they don't think those little sore places are ingrown hairs, the way you did, well, that is, until you went to the doctor and found out it's herpes.

That should do it.

May 25, 2011 at 14:09 | Report abuse |
  7. HaveAHeartAlready

I can't believe these heartless remarks! What if your kid or your spouse was treated like this at work? I hope you wouldn't be so cold. Obviously the management is messed up to let that type of behaviour go on.

May 24, 2011 at 14:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TomN

Remember these "heartless remarks" you call them are after the fact. If this this was happening now to me, or my child I would act accordingly with the management. If that didn't work we would be talking about how to bully a bully.

May 24, 2011 at 15:13 | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

TomN, unfortunately you can't always bully the bully like in my case it was my boss. It eventually caught up with him & his buddy but it took years for that to happen. meanwhile my life was a living hell and my health suffered until I finally got out of there.

May 24, 2011 at 17:03 | Report abuse |
  8. JEH

Toughen up buttercup!

May 24, 2011 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rasko41

WADR, KMA.

May 24, 2011 at 16:45 | Report abuse |
    • NobodySpecial

. . . . Said the bully.

May 24, 2011 at 18:55 | Report abuse |
    • SkekLach

Whhhyyyyyyy do you build me up, buttercup, baby, just to let me down?

May 25, 2011 at 08:04 | Report abuse |
  9. Some1

It seems to me she was asking a legitimate question. She was not looking for validation for her illness nor a reason to sue.
    The anonymity of the internet makes for some cruel people. I do not know her situation but judging by most of the comments so far, perhaps some of you should look at why you are callous and looking to insult others on the internet.
    Typing in all caps would perhaps emphasize your toughness.

May 24, 2011 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rasko41

There's no such thing as a legitimate question in internet messageboard fantasyland.

May 24, 2011 at 16:46 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

Of course she want's validation, everbody wants validation! Unfortunatly people will rarely supply it, get a dog they'll always treat you well. Weekends I try to avoid people, they don't want to hear it! You got the happy drugs, took me 10 yrs to get those! so at least you won't have to live on the bottom. Beats what a lot of folks have to go thru day to day. You can always find someone worse off. make the best of what you got.. 2012 it coming!

May 24, 2011 at 18:54 | Report abuse |
  10. BugsMalone

If you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch.

May 24, 2011 at 15:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TomN

Sooo, does that mean a bully is a big dog that one would want to run with? Sounds like that dog needs to be put in it's place!

May 24, 2011 at 15:14 | Report abuse |
    • NobodySpecial

You know what they do to dogs who are out of control, right? They get euthenized.

May 24, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse |
  11. SeeBrain

PTSD like effects can NOT ONLY happen in school – it happens w/o notice at work when a supervisor or a deliberately out-of-place peer tries to step beyond managment or peer-guidance to cause frustration and anguish to the victim. Often this is done out of sheer ego with little regard for work productivity or reality. Bullies typically live in a reality of their own making – some of it paranoid, some of grandiose, all of it leading to self-morbidity which, thy through the act of bullying pass on to their victims. In time many of the victims become bullies themselves. Indeed in the upper echelons of many corporations it is a long cherished "art" of survival. The damage that bullying causes by no means is restricted to a certain person or to a certain point of time in their lives – it gets spread like a disease and becomes part of corporate culture, home culture and societal culture.
    Rage is our natural short lived sedative against bully-experiences. I still suffer from deliberate insults and put downs at work by a manager five years ago. He functions as a high level psychopath who gains pleasure from abusing people – repressing subordinates, praising incompetent henchmen, putting down competent employees while confusing higher ups w/ mixed messages – he was caught and booted out in the end – but the devastation he left behind was extensive. The cover ups his bosses provided him out of fear for their own jobs as he appeared to have connections even higher up were even more demoralizing for me and other members of the team. The net result? Brain drain from the team and daily private struggles to find a new definition of self image and purpose.

I have personally done very well given what I went through. I DO NOT believe in forgiving wrong doers. I think they should be brought to justice – just as bullying is looked upon as an advantageous evolutionary trend, so must imparting discipline to criminals be recognized as an advance in the evolution of our species.

I am a neuroengineer/neuroscientist today. My personal opinion is that bullying behavior should be reported ASAP, the aggressor treated just like a trauma case and be immediately scanned and assessed for brain / behavioral deficits – all this is possible w/ science. Why stay passive in the name of forgiveness when you can actually help prevent a future sociopath/psychopath/terrorist from taking shape?

May 24, 2011 at 15:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter

i'd rather be bullied mercilessly my entire life then have technocrat control freaks "scanning" and "assessing" everyone who acts like a jerk

May 24, 2011 at 15:13 | Report abuse |
    • TomN

I know that type. You describe them nicely. I have also seen a few put in the unemployment and I will probably make sure it happens again to the next moron that comes along. the only thing I don't like about what you said is the part about scaning and assessing deficits. That's a scarely rope you balance on with that one. Especially if the gov't get it's hands on it and uses it for mind control. I can handle the bullying much easier.

May 24, 2011 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
    • LC

Thank you for the voice of reason. I also had a supervisory pharmacist in my profession that was abusive and psychotic to most of the staff. He wasn't terminated despite our reports to the hospital director until he made a grave error. It was a year of sheer hell and fear. My child, who had a communication disorder, was physically bullied to the point of bleeding but unable to fully communicate what happened. The private school he attended took notice and expelled the offender. My son now speaks and attends public school but his speech was "different" when he started and although he is highly intelligent he was bullied incessantly. The difference here being that although the public school knew the perpetrator they did nothing and even said I should feel sorry for that child because he had a difficult homelife! I do feel sorry but I also have to protect my child. What do we do when reporting the problem goes nowhere and how can we change this to protect the victim and help the bully, be it child or adult?

May 24, 2011 at 15:57 | Report abuse |
  12. Fuyuko

Bullying is traumatic to everyone, and everyone has different tolerance for how much they can stand. While I was never specifically bullied, I do know how it feels to be pushed and treated unfairly by people who you believe are your friends. I believe if the author feels she has PTSD, she should see a licensed professional. While It is possible depression is causing her to dwell in the past, it is certainly unhealthy to continue to do so- whether she has PTSD or not. Therfor, since these incidents still trouble her, she should see a therapist to speak about it.

May 24, 2011 at 15:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Marine57

I do not understand why Dr. Charles Raison did not answer Sue's question: Could I be developing PTSD?
    I have the same question as her. Could life's troubles be causing me to develop PTSD?
    I had an older brother who was has been a bully towards me all his life.
    When I got in the Marine Corps, I was bullied by peers (similar to that marine in "A Few Good Men" w/ Tom Cruise)
    In industry, I was bullied and rejected by the 18 men in my department (I went to Purdue, 3.0 grade average; none of them had college)
    In church, I have been rejected or even asked to leave 10 churches in 10 years.
    It just seems like a life such as this will finally get to a person.
    So, at age 70, I withdraw, and I've lived alone for 14 years now.
    But I am at peace, knowing that God loves me, even if no one else will.

May 24, 2011 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sue

Thank you for sharing your story you are a brave Marine.

Sue

May 24, 2011 at 18:33 | Report abuse |
    • captroadbeard

you sound cool-I'll be your friend. Asked to leave church? really? thats harsh man, follow me on twitter, I wont un follow you no matter your sin:)

May 24, 2011 at 23:16 | Report abuse |
    • castellan

Wow, those must have real good Christians. God won't know them when they die. You were the corner stone everyone stumbled over.

It appears you have been surrounded by dregs all your life, but they couldn't break you. God bless.

June 2, 2011 at 01:50 | Report abuse |
  14. Peggi

My 12 year old son is autistic (Asperger's Syndrome) and stutters and for the past year in school he has been punched, slapped, called gay and generally been bullied. Why? Here is a interesting fact for you-100% of Aspies will get bullied just because they are different. He now has an ulcer, suffers from migraines and has nightmares. He is fearful of going to school. School should NOT be this scary for ANY child/person. And don't tell me take it to the school board or teacher-I have been. Hasn't changed a damn thing.

So. To all those people who say, tough it out, or say that people like the author of this article to stop whining. Try living in my son's shoes for a week. Just one week. My son has more bravery in his little finger than most of you, because he faces his fears each and every day going to school, facing the bulliers, and not striking back. (if he strikes back, he knows he's the one to get in trouble, like the one time he did.)

May 24, 2011 at 16:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kelly

Home school. It is the individual that must adapt to the surroundings. Not the other way around. What makes you and your family deserve special treatment? It is easier for you to complain about the problems he faces in public schools than to step up to the plate and take responsibility and do what is right. Put him in an environment where he can excel instead of pushing your responsibilities on the rest of the world. He is your son. Not anyone else's. Treat him right.

May 24, 2011 at 16:30 | Report abuse |
    • Eleanor42

Amen! You have it exactly right - those who are bullied are incredibly BRAVE to get up and make it to school or work everyday, KNOWING they are going to be attacked. Braver than any one of these idiots saying "toughen up" –they've clearly never been bullied, and have no clue what we're talking about.

May 24, 2011 at 16:44 | Report abuse |
    • Eleanor42

@Kelly "What makes you and your family deserve special treatment?" Please explain how wanting to not get punched and slapped is "special treatment"? Do you EXPECT your children to be assaulted in school? Are you HOPING for it?

May 24, 2011 at 16:47 | Report abuse |
    • Kelly

@Eleanor: I would expect it if my child had special needs. And therefore I would do what was necessary to protect him most efficiently. I would remove him from the hostile environment and introduce him into one that did not have such threats surrounding him on a daily basis. Rather than try to change the world he lives in and basic human nature, I would do what would immediately protect him. Anything less is the easy way out. Pointing fingers instead of accepting the responsibilities of meeting the unique and intricate needs of your child is an unfortunate way to parent.

I understand that dealing with issues properly like this can be frustrating because they require so much more parental responsibility, but isn't your child worth it?

May 24, 2011 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
    • Richard

I've been in those shoes 40yrs now, you can't change the world. Don't try that'll take of the ulcer that and prilosac :) Seriously teach them self defence and hope for the best, someday you'll be gone and they'll have to deal on their own. Do love them the most you can but part of growing up is learning to deal with the B/S if your not part of the herd your part of the problem, also work on a sense of humar it helps helps you anyway.

May 24, 2011 at 19:05 | Report abuse |
  15. Joe

Another SOFT American wanting to justify their insecurities. Grow up and do something with your life instead of wallowing in the past. There are things that you could do that could make a positive difference in other peoples lives instead of focusing in on why your SAD! People like you are a plague on America. Suck it up and drive on you sally!

May 24, 2011 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Peter

Soft Canadian*

May 24, 2011 at 16:31 | Report abuse |
    • NobodySpecial

I'm curious. How long have you been a bully?

May 24, 2011 at 18:57 | Report abuse |
  16. Kermit Roosevelt

I was bullied pretty hard as a kid and still fantasize about the slow death I would bring him. However, I find it empowering, not debilitating. Those who survive bullying are typically much stronger for it and were most likely exceptional beings to have attracted the bullying in the first place. I'm sure I'm probably a little mentally slanted from the experience, but I've built several businesses and learned to survive. And from what I understand second-hand, my bully is broke, broken and currently suffering from a chronic disease that may one day kill him. You can't write it better than that.

So yes, suck it up and drive on. Success is the best revenge. Because murder is still illegal.

May 24, 2011 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MIchelle

I think it's a very different experience to have one bully and to be bullied by your entire peer group. If you can point to one mean person who is the source of your torment you are in a better position than a lot of people. My experience was that 95% of kids at my grade school were unkind/rejecting (grades 4& 5 I had 1 friend, grade 6 none), which exposed me to bullying by every truly cruel kid around. I've continued to experience bullying as an adult and am mostly able to rise above it, but the involuntary emotional reactions (fear, paranoia, low-self esteem, depression) have been programmed in and are hard to escape. Why is the desire to figure out and fix these reactions weakness, but pulling a prank on a specific bully strength?

November 22, 2012 at 04:41 | Report abuse |
  17. Sue

Thanks DR Raison for your reply.
    So Dr Raison does that mean I have PTSD or does it show I don't have PTSD. My DR says I don't have PTSD but I feel I might have a mild case of PTSD since the bullying hasn't really stopped just happening less often that I can't forget and some things might trigger me.
    Thanks
    Sue

May 24, 2011 at 17:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sockpuppet

Sue, I have PTSD from years of severe child abuse....it is fairly easy to diagnose and there is very specific criteria–so if your doctor feels like you do not have it, then you most likely don't. THere are plenty of anxiety disorders that can be causing your problems. If you included a list of your symptoms that might help.

May 24, 2011 at 19:26 | Report abuse |
    • margjones

Look on youtube.com or http://www.ehow.com for "tapping" and the emotional freedom technique (EFT). L like the young English guy at http://www.tapping.com. I was abused physically and mentally growing up. Counseling helped me to leave an abusive husband, and after that, I could function well enough to make a good living, but for the overwhelming feelings that would be triggered in certain situations I found that tapping and EFT worked extremely well. The great thing about EFT is that you don't have to pay for it like you do for counseling (You can, but there are lots of it that is free. You learn the technique and use it yourself.). Then you can use your money for fun things, instead of trying to feel better. I hope you will give it a try. Good luck. And for all of you disgusting bullies without compassion.....FU

May 25, 2011 at 00:03 | Report abuse |
  18. SMC

Personal responsibility is tantamount. If you're unhappy where you work, it's up to you to fix it. No one else.

May 24, 2011 at 17:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sue

I am trying to fix it. This my first job I ever had before I knew I even had ADHD. I have been there 27 years in 2 weeks the top of the seniority list #7 while we have over 300 employees. I don't want to give up the pay I get and the vacation time I get or the good medical benefits I get which paid about $6000.00 of my medications last year. I hear some people with ADHD go from 1 job to another. This is my first job I got and I am not give up everything I worked for. I did nothing wrong so I will not be quitting. I tell my boss every time people start harassing me and with counseling and the right medication I am starting to stand up for myself more and more.
      Sue

May 24, 2011 at 17:57 | Report abuse |
  19. Sue

Mrs Fizzy and Lin and anyone else thank you for your support :)

Sue

May 24, 2011 at 17:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Johnny Danger

So things like "YOU'RE A HYPOCHONDRIAC" are considered taunting and bullying? Give me a break.

Things like this do not happen in the workplace, period. I've worked in 4 or 5 different places in my life, and have never seen anything that would could possibly make a person cut themselves or want to kill themselves. I think if it got really bad, I'd think about quitting rather than killing myself. Sure people can be mean, but its called being an adult and realizing that you are in control of your life and not others.

Shes also fishing for a diagnosis. She states she had counseling, pretty sure a psychiatrist not on CNN.com would be able to diagnose PTSD. People can get this disorder from HORIFFIC events like WAR. not being called names in the workplace (or at school for that matter).

On a separate note... I work in the corporate office of an insurance company.. and more often than not "disabled" means "fat" which is something the vast majority of people can control.

May 24, 2011 at 17:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sue

Not everyone who is disabled is fat. I am not fat. I am 140 lbs 5 feet 5 inches tall. Maybe you are because you must be sitting at a desk for long periods of time. I work on a production line in a factory

May 24, 2011 at 18:13 | Report abuse |
  21. LEB

I don't think you need to "get over" the bullying or "forgive" the bullies at all on the road to recovery. In fact, I would recommend NEVER forgiving, because if you don't forgive them then you'll never put yourself in a position of letting them mistreat you again. You can hope they'll eventually realize their mistakes, but you can't force someone else to change, nor should you give them any kind of pass because being a bully is just who they are.

The better strategy, in my opinion, is to accept that these events happened and that they are part of your own history, and to also recognize that you're in a better situation now because you *chose* to take control of your life and change it. Realizing your own power, ability, and right to change things is huge. Realizing and accepting the mistakes that YOU made to bring on this mistreatment (ie, not putting a stop to it the second it started, not informing an authority, not telling the offending party to shove it) is also a big part of taking control. Accepting your part in the problem doesn't mean it's your "fault" or that you "deserve" it, only that you could and should have handled the situation differently. Learning what you should have done helps you make better choices in the future.

Understand and accept all this, and your life will change. You'll be able to deal with your depression more effectively. You'll grow stronger every day, and eventually, you'll have enough confidence in your worth that negative treatment from other people will pretty much stop. I figured out all of this for myself after being bullied as a child and a teenager, and now, people just don't treat me like that. I simply don't let them.

May 24, 2011 at 18:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. M E

Some people are not equipped to just shrug off bullying they have received. Just like some people are just not equipped to deal with peanuts or pollen. Being bullied has shaped who I am today. I have tried very, very hard to work past the damage my bullies did to me but they left a lot of damage that will never heal.

Those of you that have never experienced being bullied do not understand and you never will until it happens to you so stop telling those of us that were bullied to get over it.

May 24, 2011 at 18:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. tappahannock

I cannot believe some of you heartless, son-of-a-biscuit eaters. This might come as a surprise, but there are those who are emotionally broken and crippled. Unlike you guys, they were not privileged to be reared in a loving, supporting and structured home that taught them by experience and example, how to be responsible. Some children and adults are carrying emotional baggage beyond your comprehension. Since you have it all together, why don't you share it with others, instead of condemning them.

May 24, 2011 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. betcha

I had PTSD, or at least symptoms of it after a workplace bullying situation drove me almost to the brink. I never truly got over it, until I learned that the bully had been fired and contacted him in an attempt to help him find another job. Somehow only that helped me totally heal.

May 24, 2011 at 18:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Don H

Look why making all this crap up about PTSD I am a Combat Veteran with 2 tours in Kosovo, and 2 tours in Iraq. I have PTSD and I am no chump I was in charge of 30 soldiers when we rolled out the gate on missions. Now I am unemployed, have a assault record, without my family, living in a motel because of my PTSD. I joined the service to help people and defend our country, I come back home and no one understands what I have been through so I have to learn to live with PTSD by myself and continue medical treatment. I can say I been bullied by the people I love for wanting me to change back to the person I was before I left to war, but how can you explain that a part of your soul is still out in the desert with your buddies inexplicable.

May 24, 2011 at 18:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sue

Thanks Don for sharing your story.
      Sue

May 24, 2011 at 18:36 | Report abuse |
    • Grace

Thank you Don H for your service. Being a victim of abuse and having developed PTSD at a young age, know I pray for soldiers every single day so they can heal from this horrible outcome of violence we know as PTSD. Hearing a story like yours breaks my heart because you served us faithfully. May God grant you peace, and may His healing hand touch your soul.

September 1, 2011 at 00:31 | Report abuse |
  26. Joebiwan Baloney

To compare being picked on by some fellow employees to the trauma & suffering that a vet has endured from being in battle is a travesty, as well as an insult to our soldiers. Almost all of us at one point or another in our lives have been picked on; its part of growing up. You either get over it, or you continue to whine about it, blaming the fact that your life isn't moving forward on perceived and overblown hurts, and look for an excuse and an easy outlet. Please, I can't work because I have PSTD from being ridiculed at work!? You know what I do when I have a tough situation that isn't to my liking? I find another job, relationship, etc. I'm far from having it all together, but I don't make excuses or blame others for my shortcomings.

May 24, 2011 at 18:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Don H

Finding another job hmmm is that quiting and running away from a problem. Possibly facing the same problem at a new job then what quit and run away again. Please Baloney don't jump into something you can't finish. You ever heard of flash backs we who get trained to kill as soldiers, marines, sailors, airmen have that embedded in our minds and when we have to actually put it to work well it is 24/7 not 9 to 5 you got that. Some of us become professionals at it and I was one of them so for me to take orders from a punk like you sorry not happening lol.

May 24, 2011 at 19:01 | Report abuse |
    • Sue

How many jobs have you had in your life time? I apply for another job last year but didn't pass the all the tests required. I feel proud that after 27 years I still have the same job. My ex husband the 4 years we were together I lost track of the amount of job he has. I want stability in my life and financial security of having a steady job and I don't want to get a minimum wage job now I am starting to make good money.

May 24, 2011 at 19:07 | Report abuse |
    • sockpuppet

PTSD does not just come from war. I would say though, that it seems like it would take some pretty severe ongoing bullying as an adult to develop PTSD, and it's not very likely. PTSD can be any traumatic one time event or ongoing situation that makes you fear for your life.

May 24, 2011 at 19:31 | Report abuse |
  27. Boltandjaelith

It's really satisfying to finally see some recognition of the serious psychological consequences that can come from bullying. These posts minimizing the effects and trivializing the situations bullied folks find themselves in show the profound lack of awareness and psychological sophistication the posters have. Open your eyes and take an honest look around you-things aren't as simplistic as you see them!

May 24, 2011 at 19:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. erich2112x

Bullying is incredibly unfortunate. Many of us have had the gut wrenching experience of having to send one of our kids to school to defend themselves against a certain bully. Not fun, but we also have to safeguard ourselves against those passive aggressive types who jump onto the bandwagon of social issues and use them for their own manipulative purposes, thereby diminishing the believability of those who truly suffer. We see this with PTSD ad so many other mental disorders. The definitions of these unfortunate afflictions have been broadened b y the psychiatric community to include most of the population if you look at it from certain angles which they create, and the RX industry makes billions. we have to take measures to protect those who truly suffer.

May 24, 2011 at 20:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • erich2112x

And not allow their limited resources become depleted by the opportunists..

May 24, 2011 at 20:15 | Report abuse |
  29. Doc Ock

Funny how some people here are posting such hate and displaying complete stupidity and ignorance. PTSD is recognized by the APA, and is a diagnosed disorder in the DSM-IV. Thankfully the diagnosis of whether or not she actually has PTSD will be determined through medical professionals who could actually then help this person, instead of some idiot with no idea of what they are talking about who claims such issues are "made up".
    The people posting their negative judgments on the issue are doing so based on personal opinion and not on any scientific data or any knowledge of psychology and medical practice. It must be nice to live inside a plastic bubble of personal opinion and not have to actually educate yourself and actually learn anything.

May 24, 2011 at 20:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Michael

Thank you, Ock. Finally an intelligent, measured, thoughtful response. I was just about to write off this website as a cesspool of hate and idiocy.

May 24, 2011 at 20:40 | Report abuse |
    • Missy

Psychiatric medicine is not an exact science. You're deluding yourself if you believe that "trained medical professionals" get it right and know everything. I have PTSD and other things and let me tell you, the psychiatrists still have no clue how to treat PTSD. In my experience psychiatrists are basically glorified drug peddlers. You got a problem, they got an anti depressant, anti psychotic, or whatever because taking a pill is so much easier than actually having to deal with your problems. They love to medicate you into a zombie, as long as you're "fixed" then they don't care.There are times where I cannot do something on my own, so a low does of something does help me. But I also have full blown PTSD which is unlike anything that was described in this article. This woman has stress, yes. But PTSD, no.

May 25, 2011 at 07:52 | Report abuse |
  30. Ben

Answer.. no you don't have PTSD ... you just need to grow a pair.

May 24, 2011 at 21:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TheTeacherThePreacher

I'll happily lend you mine, big talker. Hell, go ahead and keep 'em, Ive got spares

May 24, 2011 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
  31. Tom Daigle - Lethbridge, Alberta Canada

I once had a bully at my job. I came up with the solution on my own one day.

I went to the nearest lawyer office and got a calling card.

The next day I gave it to the bully and said: "Here is my lawyer's name? Thought you might want to know in case he shows up at your door some day."

It worked and I have used that strategy in other life occasions.

I hope this helps someone in need.

Tom

May 24, 2011 at 21:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. kevin

Or maybe they *are* just a hypochondriac. (After all, by your own admission you *did* somehow manage to do the work that you claim you are "incapable" of performing. Can you spot the flaw in your logic?)
    Was the "bullying" something along the lines of "Either do the job we hired you for or you're fired!"?
    I also find your choice of words rather telling.. "considered disabled"? Considered by whom? Did an actual, real medical doctor tell you this? (Self diagnosis doesn't count!)
    If you tell me that a doctor has diagnosed you with a legitimate illness or condition, then I'll give you all the sympathy in the freaking world....until then, you're just a lazy whiner.

May 24, 2011 at 23:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Missy

In all fairness, I have a physical disability that people tend to accuse me of being a "hypochondriac." The problem is, medical science is not an exact science. They probably won't have the proper testing for my condition for years. However, my condition is extremely real – I have several doctors to back me up and also my physical therapists who can tell you which parts of my body are causing my extreme pain. I am going to be a life long physical therapy patient because I have hypermobile joints that cause a ton of pain. But my point – people accuse me of making it up because my disability is not clearly visible... except today is a "cane" day, this thing is quite unpredictable but since I don't always have my cane people think I'm attention seeking. So it goes and as I say, if people don't believe me, that's on their conscience and not mine... Anyways I don't think you should be so quick to say she's just self diagnosed her self. There are TONS of conditions that do not have 100% clear testing and proof. That doesn't mean someone isn't suffering.

Still I don't believe this woman has PTSD. I actually have PTSD and this article was incredibly insulting.

May 25, 2011 at 07:48 | Report abuse |
  33. bouldereyes

My friends and I bullied a young girl in middle school because we thought she was ugly. It was horrible and went unchecked. I iwas bullied on numerous occasions throughout my life by my father, employers and ex spouses. I am fifty seven years old and I am haunted at times about what I did to this poor girl. My question to anyone who is listening out there, should I contact this woman and apologize even though it was 45 years ago?

I have/had complex PTSD and have had some good treatment results, or I would not be trying to apologize to people that have harmed.

There is a good chance that Blabbermouth has PTSD. Maybe he will have a cathartic moment and see that he was bullied and that is has also become a bully.

May 24, 2011 at 23:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sockpuppet

hmm that's hard to say how SHE would react to it–you never know. But I have been bullied, and if someone contacted me years later to apologize, I would appreciate that they actually felt sorry enough to remember it after so long, and would take it as genuine.

May 25, 2011 at 00:25 | Report abuse |
    • Grace

It may be helpful to her. That is a very thoughtful and caring thing to do.

September 1, 2011 at 00:36 | Report abuse |
  34. JustObvious

I had a crappy childhood and now have a good life. Some people work it out and others don't. Good for you if the meds are working. I also know enough examples of people who blame everything on everyone but their own poor choices. Sociopaths and Narcissist are also mental conditions and much more common.

May 25, 2011 at 01:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Bob Smyth

Found this article helpful dealing with bullying http://expertbeacon.com/parents-stop-bullying

May 25, 2011 at 03:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Annie

If you have never experienced this type of bullying, you should resist judging those who have. DIFFERENT PERSONALITIES HANDLE THINGS DIFFERENTLY. ONE PERSON CAN BE STRONG MENTALLY WHILE ANOTHER CAN BE HIGHLY, SENSITIVE. Please try to walk in anothers shoes and empathize for once instead of being so quick to judge. You never know what your future holds and what you will have to deal with. This is a real and valid condition. Just hope that it doesn't happen to you.

May 25, 2011 at 04:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. katie

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot... Another 'poor me' issue. Get over it people.. Life goes on. Stop crying like a baby, suck it up and get on with your lives... Everybody gets bullied, whether it's by school kids, siblings, coworkers or someone else..
    Humans have similar behavioral patterns as we see in wild animals. Think of a pack of dogs, there are dominant ones and subordinate ones. Humans work out pecking orders as well. There are dominant people and subordinate people. Always has been and always will. We are NOT all the same and we can never all be the same. Funny thing about genetics you know.

May 25, 2011 at 07:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Missy

I feel like everyone looks for a diagnosis for every single little thing that is wrong with them mentally.

This article kind of insulted me. I actually have full blown Post Traumatic Stress due to trauma. I grew up with bullying and it sucked but instead of giving up, I let it make me a better person. Now the trauma is a different story – in my book PTSD means flash backs, constantly reliving those moments for days and months, waking up screaming from nightmares, acting "crazy" for lack of better terms, living in constant fear, patrolling, having rituals, etc. It's been a few years since I got out of this violent terrible relationship with my ex and I still have to keep the lights on at night. I cannot function if I am having severe flashbacks – it's not just avoiding places, it's I'm acting like I've lost my mind and it's really embarrassing. Just because this woman is avoiding certain people and places doesn't mean she has PTSD. It's called forgive and forget or don't forgive and carry on – personally I don't think forgiveness is what it's cracked up to be but I do know that the best revenge is personal success.

I also have an invisible physical disability that causes me chronic pain, got it a few years ago before I turned the ripe old age of 20! I also have anxiety and ADHD – so life sucks a lot for me, but I'm not filing for disability even though today I can't physically walk... I'm not letting 1.) the people who have caused me so much trauma win or 2.) the people who bullied me for being disabled bring me down and 3.) I'm not letting any of my diseases get the best of me. I realize there are certain diseases and conditions that really prevent people from working and I know that as I get older, there is a chance that I may not be able to physically fight the pain any longer. That's what disability is supposed to be there for – for people who really cannot physically or even mentally work. It seems like this woman is just stressed out and learning some new coping skills would be so much more beneficial.

It feels like we're just handing out the PTSD diagnoses to anyone who's had some bad life experiences. It's really invalidating... so if some bullying that can make us stronger is now PTSD, then what the do you call what I've survived? (and I'm not talking like severe bullying with violence, that's obviously PTSD worthy because that is ABUSE)

Also – they don't really have a treatment for PTSD. It's the same type of medications – anti depressants. If you don't respond to those, then they put you on a "mood stabilizer" which is usually some sort of anti psychotic, anti elliptic drug. These drugs are extremely dangerous and they can give you permanent side effects. At some point the medications are all the same for treating different conditions – like Ability if given to both "hard to treat" depressed people and schizophrenics. I've tried about 20 different psychiatric medications, they are TERRIBLE.

Businesses should be encouraged to accommodate people and their disabilities but I suppose they don't have enough incentive which is really too bad... there are some really smart disabled folks who would make a company better if the businesses were okay with not making as much money from them. This is another problem with our system. Disability should be reserved for people who really cannot work. I'm saying this as someone who has both physical and mental disabilities and truly wants to work – I know I would have an easier time keeping a job if a company would let me have a few more sick days than other people. I cannot help my health sometimes. I've been fired from jobs because I was sick too many times (like sick to the point that I couldn't move and when I'm sick I can't even lay in bed and be comfortable.) But I'm not giving up and yes, sometimes it means being extremely uncomfortable whether it's physical pain or mental triggers. I hope that this woman will find her strength – I'm not trying to be harsh but this article really bothered me.

May 25, 2011 at 07:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Jennifer

Why is everyone so mean and judgmental? Maybe the world would be a better place if everyone took the time to do something nice for their fellow human being instead of judging each other. You never truly know what someone else has to deal with in their lives.

May 25, 2011 at 07:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • katie

Um, labeling someone as 'suffering' from PTSD is a judgment in itself... Besides, we're ALL labeled and judged: short, tall, white, black, smart, stupid, nice, religious, evil, bad, giving, loving–these are all judgments...

May 25, 2011 at 08:00 | Report abuse |
  40. My 2 cents

I feel this is going to end negatively either way for this poor woman. A. Either she hurts herself or B. She hurts the bully. I say go with B. Just don't hurt anyone else by mistake in the process.

May 25, 2011 at 08:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. kw1223

I know I'm going to get reamed for this but I'm going to say it anyway. People who can't get over childhood trauma are weak, need to learn to build up their own self esteem, and just get over it already. I was bullied horribly growing up. I lived with an abusive man for 2 years in early adulthood. I'm sure I had PTSD once I finally rid myself of the bullies and the abuser HOWEVER I knew it was up to me to grow a thicker skin and become a stronger person in spite of my past.

People seem to look for excuses as to why it's OK to feel sorry for themselves and not try to get themselves into a healthier mental state. It takes work and you have to really want it.

I am now a confident person. These days I am pretty well liked and respected. Rather than continuing to waste my energy hating the people who did me wrong in the past I have chosen to be thankful because I would not be the person I am today without that experience.

May 25, 2011 at 08:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. John

As a student, former Navy EOD, and the son of an un-diagnosed Viet Nam Vet-navy corpsman 2 tours, I have seen, lived, worked and studied (currently working on Masters in Psych) I know not all people are the same. I see comments here from those who choose the easy answer. "I was OK so, it must all be BS"....or We all went through the same event and everybody else is OK, what's the problem. Suck it up like rest of us." These are the answers of those without scientific knowledge of how this disease works. Maybe they would feel different if they could "actually see inside a victims brain-how the neuronal connections have died and retracted. How control mechanisms for stress are torn away so the anxiety/depression takes over. Some people have a genetic predisposition to some ailments. Diabetes, cancer, Multiple Sclerosis....PTSD is no different. Some people are more resiliant than others. Some children who are abused have no problems...others are scared for life. Much research is still being done. Those that don't understand this disease should educate themselves before offering an opinion.

May 25, 2011 at 12:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Grace

Thank you. That is a great response!

September 1, 2011 at 00:41 | Report abuse |
  43. Liza Null

I know someone who suffers from PTSD from having been bullied. Her PTSD kicks in whenever her chronic fatigue syndrome isn't bothering her, or whenever her allergies aren't in season. Naturally these maladies are so severe that she's unable to be employed in the typical mainstream jobs. None of these have been diagnosed by an actual physician, but when she reads the symptoms on the internet it describes her situation very accurately. Amazingly, her PTSD, allergies, chronic fatigue, and short-term memory disorder have never appeared when her friends ask her to go to the beach, or out to dinner, or shopping trips. No, she's actually feeling quite well during these events – it's only when faced with the possibility of having to work for a living that she's likely to develop a low-grade fever, a headache, joint pain, malaise, depression, dizzy spells, and nausea (which subsides when reservations are made to a good French restaurant, it's really quite amazing).

May 25, 2011 at 13:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Liz

Sue – My heart breaks for you. I hope you realize how foolish the people who bully you are and that they are the weak, inferior people, not you. I will be thinking about you and hope you have a smile on your face – because you deserve to be happy!

May 25, 2011 at 16:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Anon

http://www.bullyonline.org/stress/ptsd.htm – Sue a great link to find out about the relation between bullying and ptsd

http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/serial.htm – Blabbermouth this is for you!!!

February 25, 2012 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Poetry

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you actually understand what you are talking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally consult with my website =). We may have a link exchange arrangement among us

April 6, 2012 at 12:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Sheila Jeffery

I was so Badly Bullied from the age of 10 til I was almost 17 in the Haysville Schools I don't know why but those Children very Severely Bullied me to the point to where I tried to Commit Suicide and we had to move out of Haysville Kansas because Of it I was later diagnosed later as having Post Tramatic Stress disorder

April 19, 2012 at 16:41 | Report abuse | Reply