home
RSS
May 20th, 2011

Gupta: Cell phones, brain tumors and a wired earpiece

Learn more about cell phones and the current research into whether they could cause brain tumors, “Sanjay Gupta, M.D.,” Saturday, 7:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. ET and Sunday at 7:30 a.m. ET.

By Dr. Sanjay Gupta, Chief Medical Correspondent

Just about every time I use a cell phone, I plug in my wired earpiece first. Having discussed the use of earpieces on several news shows, people expect to see me using one. If I am walking around the CNN studios, my colleagues often comment on it. In airports, people will stop me in the rare cases I forget to use the earpiece, and remind me about it. Perhaps, they are intrigued because I am a neurosurgeon who openly shows some concern about cell phones.

Truth is, it is a pretty easy thing to do – using an earpiece. Furthermore, my neck doesn’t hurt after being on the phone for a long conference call, and given that many of those calls take place in a car, an earpiece becomes a requirement. Still, though, I don’t want to dodge the obvious question: Do cell phones cause brain cancer?

It may be too early to say for sure. The latency period or time between exposure and recognition of a tumor is around 20 years, sometimes longer. And, cell phone use in the U.S. has been popular for only  around 15 years. Back in 1996, there were 34 million cell phone users. Today there are 9-10 times as many. Keeping that in mind, it is worth taking a more detailed look at the results of Interphone, a multinational study designed to try to  answer this question.

The headline from this study was there was little or no evidence to show an association between cell phones and cancer. Though, if you went to the appendix of the study, which interestingly was available only online, you found something unsettling. The data showed people who used a cell phone 10 years or more doubled the risk of developing a glioma, a type of brain tumor. And, across the board – most of the studies that have shown an increased risk are from Scandinavia, a place where cell phones have been popular since the early 1990s. For these reasons, the whole issue of latency could become increasingly important.

Cell phones use non-ionizing radiation, which is very different from the ionizing radiation of X-rays, which everyone agrees are harmful. Non-ionizing radiation won’t strip electrons or bust up DNA. It's more like very low power microwaves. Short term, these microwaves are likely harmless, but long term could be a different story. Anyway, who likes the idea of a microwave, even a low-powered one, next to their head all day?

And, what about kids? I have three of them, aged 5, 4 and 2. Fact is, they are more likely to lead to my early demise than cell phones. But, as hard as it is to believe sometimes, they actually have thinner skulls than adults, and will probably be using cell phones longer than I ever will.

The first person to encourage me to regularly wear an ear piece was Dr. Keith Black. He also is a neurosurgeon, and makes a living removing – you guessed it – brain tumors. Keith has long believed there is a link, and for some time, his was a lonely voice in this discussion. Nowadays, he has loud and prominent voices accompanying him. Ronald Herberman, director of the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute,  sent a memo warning staffers to limit their cell phone use. One of the possible consequences, he says, is  an increased risk of brain cancer. The city of San Francisco is trying to pass an ordinance requiring radiation warning labels on all cell phones.  The European Environmental Agency has said cell phones could be as big a public health risk as smoking, asbestos and leaded gasoline. Even the makers of cell phones suggest you don’t place a device against your head, but rather advocate holding it 5/8 to a full inch away.

Many will roll their eyes at this, scoffing at the precautionary principle on display here. Fair enough. Still, I like my wired earpiece, and I don’t have to turn my life upside down to use it. I also text and email a lot more, because my kids rarely allow me to have a phone conversation. Speaking of kids, you will probably see mine using earpieces too, when my wife and I decide they are old enough to use one, which isn’t in the foreseeable future.

With reporting from CNN's Danielle Dellorto

1. Adler

I have found out a thing new on various blogs every day. It's usually stimulating to find out written content of other copy writers and learn a little a thing from their website. Many thanks for sharing.

February 9, 2012 at 05:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. smart phone

Wonderful points altogether, you simply won a new reader. What could you recommend in regards to your publish that you just made a few days in the past? Any positive?

March 31, 2012 at 03:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. roller coaster games

You're in point of fact a just right webmaster. The web site loading pace is incredible. It kind of feels that you're doing any distinctive trick. In addition, The contents are masterpiece. you have done a fantastic task in this subject!

April 7, 2012 at 12:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. electricity

Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to mention that I have truly loved surfing around your blog posts. After all I'll be subscribing on your feed and I hope you write once more very soon!

April 7, 2012 at 12:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. power of the mind

I don't even know how I finished up here, but I believed this put up was once great. I don't understand who you're however certainly you're going to a famous blogger if you happen to are not already. Cheers!

April 19, 2012 at 18:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. wireless n router

Wireless your thing? If you're looking to examine or purchase virtually any wireless device whether it is a smart phone or tablet and all other types of wireless accessories you have found must have. We offer and compare all types of wireless product available on the market and show you where you should purchase it for the greatest prices on line. You'll find no other on the net such as this as we would like you to get the most for the money and just what meets your needs. So welcome to the realm of wireless whilst keeping those cables at home.

April 20, 2012 at 09:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. wireless lan adapter

Wireless your personal style? If you would like to check or purchase any type of wireless device whether it is a smart phone or tablet as well as other kinds of wireless accessories you've found the spot. We offer and compare all types of wireless product that you can buy and explain to you where to purchase it for the best prices on line. You'll find no other on the internet such as this as we would like you to obtain the most your money can buy and precisely what meets your needs. So welcome to the world of wireless whilst keeping those cables in your own home.

April 20, 2012 at 10:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Comcast Boca Raton FL

It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy. I've learn this put up and if I could I wish to counsel you few fascinating things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more things approximately it!

May 27, 2012 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Comcast Cable West Springfield MA

I've been browsing online greater than 3 hours these days, but I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours. It's lovely price sufficient for me. Personally, if all webmasters and bloggers made excellent content material as you did, the net shall be much more helpful than ever before.

May 27, 2012 at 20:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Comcast San Jose CA

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I to find It truly useful & it helped me out a lot. I am hoping to provide something again and aid others such as you aided me.

May 28, 2012 at 00:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. cargo trailers for sale in missouri

I have learn a few good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how a lot effort you place to create such a excellent informative web site.

July 3, 2012 at 20:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. S3 ohne Schufa

Hello there, I found your web site by means of Google while searching for a related topic, your web site got here up, it seems great. I have added to favourites|added to bookmarks.

September 17, 2012 at 03:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Geovana

Wow, that was amazing )I was very exitecd, at the scene, where the bus hits the Moon.*hrhr*This round cutters works great for that material, i have one too, but a little smaller.If you use a acrylic plate down below, to cut your peaces..That worked for me, and i thinked it was the best..

November 16, 2012 at 03:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Augustine Goodknight

Modern vehicle manufacturing nearly always includes a complete system of some kind from the factory when the car is assembled. This is referred to as the 'stock' system, or OEM system. These systems can be supplied by an exclusive vendor to the manufacturer to their specification, or other company that specializes in design or production of such equipment..

Very latest piece of writing from our new web-site
    <http://www.healthmedicinecentral.com

April 27, 2013 at 19:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. ganha dinheiro

http://www.patraoonline.com ganha dinheiro http://www.patraoonline.com/

July 13, 2013 at 06:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Linda Ikeji

Our physique consists of 70 of water and let's not forget this important theory of drinking a minimum of 8 glasses of water. Go for distilled water that contains no minerals that will be much more advantageous to our body health. In the event you exercise and loses water in perspiration, you will have to replenish it by drinking much more water.

November 16, 2013 at 21:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Michael Smith

Hey, I thought this was a awesome article. Apreciate you posting.

June 14, 2014 at 21:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Connor Marshall

Hi, great information and an fascinating post, it's going to be exciting if
    this is still the case in a few years time

July 12, 2014 at 01:26 | Report abuse | Reply