home
RSS
Tri Challenge: What's my goal? What's my intention?
May 12th, 2011

Tri Challenge: What's my goal? What's my intention?

Lately I’ve been feeling a little anxious, as the triathlon date is fast approaching. It’s only 12 weeks away, and I feel that I still have a long way to go to get ready. While I know that I have become physically fit especially after the midway trip to Hawaii, I get a little overwhelmed at what I am about to do in a few months.

One of the coaches that I work with said that you can have goals and intentions. Every triathlete's goal is to finish the triathlon, but an intention is to have fun, be fit and happy. This really resonated with me as I reflected upon what I have accomplished so far. Yes, I am able to run, bike, and swim longer than I did three months ago, and yes, my goal is to finish the NYC triathlon. But my daily, weekly, and monthly intention is to be healthy, have fun with the people I train with, and pass along the knowledge I gain to others.

I was so focused on my goal that when my workouts didn’t go well I would get really disappointed. But focusing on my intention helps me to be “present” in the moment, without getting attached to the outcome. So, I am focusing on my short-term goals every week and I know that by race day, I will be as ready as I can be.

1. TriHardNina

Kas, you are SOOOO right!!! I was doing the same thing-sometimes getting stressed in anticipation of a long workout. But once I began, I would enjoy it after all, so now I try to enjoy every swim, bike and run. We are going to be in New York before we know it!!! Then we will suddenly be wishing we could go back to early May and have all of our training and anticipation ahead of us again. Thanks for the reminder-let's keep enjoying the journey! 🙂

May 12, 2011 at 21:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lance

Kas, Good on you for having the determination and courage to even take this challenge on! I know that even elite triathletes sometimes have bad training days but the key is to stick with your program and trust your training, as it sounds like you do, and you WILL be ready on race day. Enjoy it!

May 13, 2011 at 00:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Adelina

I hope you can see the starry night sky from where you live...

May 14, 2011 at 01:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Tammy

Kas, the power of intention is transformational. When used in the form of an affirmation, which it sounds like that's how you are using it, you can't help but to align with the direction you want to go. We move in the direction of the dominant emotion and your intention creates an emotional connection to your desired outcome . I acknowledge you for using the power of intention to advance toward your goal. You don't need luck for the Tri Challenge, you already have success locked up!

May 14, 2011 at 10:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mavrickgirl

Once you pass the finish and the get through it...you will set new goals for yourself, and triathloning is not easy...good luck to you...and you can do it!!!

May 14, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Elroy Fischer

being 60 and coming back after a broken back, I know what you're going through. I truly admire your determination and know that it does affect your life positively in many ways. You can certainly do it and I wish you the very best on all your achievements.

May 14, 2011 at 13:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Christine

Kas – great words of inspiration, thank you. You are amazing and keep it up. I am cheering for you!

May 17, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. unixpeep

Positive motivation is almost always the best way to get the finish line. However, it doesn't hurt to remember the times when someone said to you, "You can't do that...", or underestimated your abilities. These two things can summon an inner strength where you think to yourself or say outloud, "I will show you...". Whatever it takes. God speed and good luck with your race.

May 19, 2011 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Shann

This is very inspiring for me as an aspiring triathlete. Thanks so much for posting your personal journey for all to share and best of luck! You'll do great!

May 28, 2011 at 10:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Gunser

Actually the thing that scares me most is that the State of Nevada thkins it's just fine for me to drive without my glasses! I only took them off before the vision test on a lark.

October 12, 2012 at 01:39 | Report abuse |