home
RSS
Seeking Serenity: When lawyers go zen
Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer started meditation "because it’s good for my health."
May 11th, 2011

Seeking Serenity: When lawyers go zen

Editor's note: Beginning today, CNN contributor Amanda Enayati ponders the theme  of "Seeking Serenity: The quest for well-being and life balance in stressful times."

“Does scratching my eyes out count as a stress reliever?” asks Pamela, an attorney with whom I am discussing ways in which lawyers attempt to alleviate anxiety.

“Well, no,” I say. “It’s quite the opposite, really.”

“That’s all I know,” shrugs Pamela, done with the topic. “And don’t use my last name cause of, you know, the law firm mafia.”

I had been searching for meditating lawyers - yes, I mean meditation, not mediation - since a few days earlier when I happened to meet one in a parking lot. The woman - Barbara, a managing partner at a hedge fund - was in the throes of a merger when I met her. And yet she was like no attorney I have ever known.

She seemed centered and eerily calm, with undertones of joy. When I made that observation, she talked about her longtime yoga regimen, begun in college and continued while she was a law student at the University of Chicago, and the meditation practice it evolved into over the years. She also had attended continuing legal education courses that incorporated elements of meditation and mindfulness. Meditation, she said, helped her practice law in a way that “shuts out a lot of the static, the noise, the irrelevant.”

As a recovering ex-attorney, I found myself listening with a degree of skepticism. In all my years in and around the legal profession, I have met scores of attorneys who feel as Pamela does and almost none like Barbara.

After all, misery is implicit in lawyering, isn’t it? They virtually said so in law school. And the statistics certainly bear that out: A well-known Johns Hopkins study found that lawyers are more prone to depression than members of any other profession.

According to the American Bar Association, as many as 20 percent of American lawyers abuse alcohol or other substances. And an often-cited study undertaken by the National Institute for Safety and Health two decades ago found that male lawyers between the ages of 20 and 64 are more than twice as likely to die from suicide than their counterparts in other occupations. In a recent article called "The Depressed Lawyer," a clinical psychologist asked: Why are so many lawyers so unhappy?

Dig a bit further, though, and a different picture emerges. Ms. Ethereal from the parking lot is not such an anomaly, but part of a growing nationwide trend that may indeed transform the landscape of the law.

The earliest organized meditation retreat for lawyers was held in October 1998 for Yale law students and faculty. Since then, mindfulness practices have popped up with increasing frequency - from national conferences on mindful lawyering to courses in law schools (CUNY and the University of Miami, among them) to retreats for trial lawyers, workshops for judges, and continuing legal education for practicing attorneys at Zen and Buddhist centers.

Growing numbers of attorneys are embracing some form of practice to achieve mindfulness. Their reasons for doing so are varied, but chief among them are stress management and improved mental and physical health - benefits backed by research findings from scientists at Harvard and University of Pennsylvania, among others.

In the most recent study, Harvard researchers found that practicing a form of mindful meditation for as little as 30 minutes a day for eight weeks resulted in measurable changes in the brain regions involved in learning, memory, emotion regulation and stress.

Charles Halpern, a trailblazing public interest lawyer and law professor described as the “granddaddy of the movement,” notes that while a growing openness to the practice of mindfulness arose out of high levels of stress associated with the legal profession and the overwhelming cost it can take on the lives of many, it also benefits lawyers in other ways.

“It is making us more skilled and effective as lawyers, more focused, more active listeners, better at helping our clients and serving justice, and doing it in a way that is sustainable.”

Environmental lawyer and director of the law program at the Center for Contemplative Mind in Society, Doug Chermak, agrees. He adds that the mindfulness movement may serve as an important foundation for innovations in the law, including “collaborative law,” a less acrimonious, downright enlightened alternative to a typical divorce (trouble-shoot and problem-solve, rather than fight to win); and “restorative justice,” a criminal law approach that emphasizes reconciliation, restoration, healing and rehabilitation.

The growing inclination among attorneys to rethink some of the more traditional aspects of law practice has the potential to make way for the emergence of “law as a healing profession and lawyers as peacemakers” - associations that, frankly, would seem near-blasphemous to most.

I had it on good authority (Google) that one of the country’s lawyers-in-chief, Supreme Court Justice Stephen Breyer, is a “big meditator” and so a few days later I found myself channeling my best Oprah on the other end of a telephone line with Justice Breyer, asking in what may have been a slightly over-dramatic tone: “How, sir, did you first arrive at your meditation practice?”

“To say that I am a meditator is overstating it,” he replied in his elegant baritone, instantly dashing any hopes I may have had of anointing him the Patron Saint of Meditating Lawyers. “I don’t know that what I do is meditation, or even whether it has a name. For 10 or 15 minutes twice a day I sit peacefully. I relax and think about nothing or as little as possible. And that is what I’ve done for a couple of years.”

But wait! I thought. Isn’t that the definition of meditation?

He continued: “And really I started because it’s good for my health. My wife said this would be good for your blood pressure and she was right. It really works. I read once that the practice of law is like attempting to drink water from a fire hose. And if you are under stress, meditation - or whatever you choose to call it - helps. Very often I find myself in circumstances that may be considered stressful, say in oral arguments where I have to concentrate very hard for extended periods. If I come back at lunchtime, I sit for 15 minutes and perhaps another 15 minutes later. Doing this makes me feel more peaceful, focused and better able to do my work.”

I thanked the justice and hung up in a slight huff. It was not until later that I grasped the full wisdom of what he had told me: It doesn’t matter what your meditation or mindfulness practice looks like, where and how you do it, what you choose to call it, or whether you choose to call it anything at all. Research shows that you will reap the benefits regardless.

The most important thing is undertaking some form of reflective silence, active and open attention on the present, and freedom from judgment on a regular basis.

Are mindful lawyers - present, peaceful and peppy - the way of the future? There is no way to know for sure, but in the meantime there may be a small wave of happier, less stressed-out and adversarial, and more effective attorneys coming our way. And they are most welcome.

Want to get zen at your job? Watch the video below.

Amanda Enayati’s essays have appeared on CNN, Time, Salon, Washington Post and Zomppa. She's on Twitter @AmandaEnayati and keeps a blog at PracticalMagicforBeginners.com.

1. Charmaine

I'm not a lawyer but find meditating upon nature to be extremely relaxing and leaves one with a wonderful sense of peace and serenity. If you can't get outdoors to meditate you might also enjoy watching a scenic relaxation video after work to unwind such as the Serenity Moments video series which is designed for meditation. You can view some short video previews at http://www.serenitymoments.com/ Enjoy!

May 11, 2011 at 12:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Zavrina

That's a smart answer to a dfifuiclt question.

December 25, 2011 at 12:06 | Report abuse |
    • qtwjmscaqz

te7CbP wqjqbwueqtve

December 26, 2011 at 04:00 | Report abuse |
    • dmdskpnq

vrjO7Y kwwaqlhhpuio

December 28, 2011 at 08:19 | Report abuse |
  2. K

One of my co-workers referred to me as "an oasis of calm in the midst of chaos". I kept needlework in my desk drawer and did a few minutes several times a day. Very relaxing in such a stressful occupation.

May 11, 2011 at 13:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GoodAdvize

Not just lawyers, everyone is in increasing need for serenity and peace nowadays. Meditation is the only solution, but it is not a practice you can profit from immediately. There's a site with great resources for beginners, in the form of sound files that help you focus. It's called Transcendentaltones.

May 12, 2011 at 03:32 | Report abuse |
  3. Bobby

Now if we can get Politicians to Meditate ??

May 11, 2011 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • WMesser58

@Bobby you mean medicate

May 11, 2011 at 22:48 | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

Go Mandy! Way to show that science and religion agree!

May 11, 2011 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mad-jax

Why do they now use lawyers in lab experiments? 1. There are more lawyers than rats. 2. So the lab personnel won't get so attached. 3. There are some things even a rat won't do.

May 11, 2011 at 15:13 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kathleen

SO funny! You know, 95% of all attorneys give the rest a bad name . . .:o)

May 29, 2011 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
  6. TheLeftCoast

There's a great book called "The Reflective Counselor: Daily Meditations for Lawyers" by Coffey & Kessler. The San Francisco Bar Association has sponsored meditation retreats for lawyers and law students in the past.

May 11, 2011 at 15:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Pra Po

Meditation is not a drug-less drug, something meant only to soothe the jangled nerves, an exotic form of stress relief. These are just side effects. The real purpose of mindfulness meditation as originally taught by the Buddha and handed down in orthodox Buddhism ever since is to learn how to be free from suffering and its causes. Some call this enlightenment, but that word too has been abused and morphed.

May 11, 2011 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Victor

Thanks Pra...I was about to same somethiing very similar myself. I am an attorney who not only meditates with a Buddist group, but attends yoga classses, and I can tell you that the mindfulness achieved is not some cheap way to be more productive at work or defrag. If that happens so be it, but the real purpose is to discover the universal nature of being and conncectivty that only meditation can bring. It is a bit silly...i.e, sad...to think that some of the most ancient ideas on happiness are being abused by the self-help gurus of the west.

May 11, 2011 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
    • Yogini

I wouldn't criticize people looking for relief from stress (i.e., suffering) because they're not full-fledged Buddhists or true spiritual seekers. For some meditation is the first step on a path to enlightenment, but even if it's their only step, it's still better than nothing.

May 12, 2011 at 16:56 | Report abuse |
    • Doug Chermak

May 19, 2011 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
  8. Buddha Lawyer

You'd be surprised how helpful mindfulness can be when you are working in a traditionally toxic legal office. We can all be buddhas.

May 11, 2011 at 17:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Doug Chermak

Check out http://www.contemplativemind.org/programs/law/ for more info. We are doing a retreat for legal professionals September 8 – 11 in Northern California. We'd love to have you!

May 19, 2011 at 11:49 | Report abuse |
  9. CM

I love these studies... only 30 minutes every day. Speaking as an ex-attorney... what lawyer has time for that? After billing 10-12 in a day, sleeping, eating, and trying to exercise... there's no time left. It's the most miserable profession I can imagine and full of some of the worst human being I ever met.

Best way to lower stress? Do what I did and get out of the profession.

May 11, 2011 at 17:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • TN

So right!!!

May 11, 2011 at 17:39 | Report abuse |
    • Suzi

I totally agree – I work in a law office – the egos I have to deal with every day are unbelievable. I have been meditating for about 30 years and I can really tell the difference when I don't. I actually taught meditation at another law firm, but it didn't last very long!!!

May 11, 2011 at 19:04 | Report abuse |
  10. phoenix

heathen rascals are crooks especially to the poor man, more like zen and ambulance chaser maintenance.

May 11, 2011 at 17:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Shannon

I feel like the only attorney in the world that likes my job. I started my own practice – I have work-life balance, I'm practicing in an area I LOVE, and I actually do hope I'm helping and not hurting people. Am I making six figures a year? No, but I've never been happier. I'm sick of people poo-pooing on lawyers; we're not all bad, and some of us DO seek balance and DO try to find a way to help others. My advice? Shed the golden handcuffs, do what you love, and realize you're not better than others. If meditation helps you get there, awesome.

May 11, 2011 at 17:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kendall

So true, Shannon. Stereotypes about "lawyers" (most people have never had an interaction with a real lawyer outside of the news and divorce) are rampant and rarely accurate for the majority of people I work with–lawyers that genuinely care about making a difference. Making lame comments about lawyers is an easy scapegoat to avoid the simple truth that every profession or job includes many mediocre people that follow along like self-serving sheep rather than making their own mark.

The comments on this board can certainly attest to the mediocrity of people and minds outside of the practice of law!. ;)

May 11, 2011 at 18:42 | Report abuse |
    • Ian Tully-Barr

You are not the only one. I love my law job too. Meditation has been part of my life for over twenty years and I feel it is a crucial part of how I do my job. It is about the opportunity to help others and the benefits derived personally from that.

May 11, 2011 at 19:39 | Report abuse |
  12. I.

I agree with CM... sure, meditation for a few minutes in your office might help a little, but there is no way to "meditate" your way to happiness in this bummer of a profession. Been at it for nine years, and it sucks! Go to bed knowing that you're going to have a meeting with a jerk client and your jerk boss, both of whom are ready to turn on you and rip your lungs out... and these are the guys on your side! Write a memo about X and you're criticized b/c you didn't say Y. Getting into work at 7 a.m. and leaving at 7 p.m., with only a feeling of dread and discouragement because you made no progress toward the fast-approaching deadline (in fact, you are even more confused than you were three days earlier). Curing the stresses of law practice with meditation is as realistic as managing paranoid schizophrenia with vitamin B and protein smoothies - not gonna happen. High school and college-aged kids reading this: Unless you're a real pushy jerk who loves money more than anything else (and are willing to get divorced so you can drive a flashy car), don't go to law school. Most people regret the decision. Look deeply and do something else.

May 11, 2011 at 18:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CM

Over half the people I know that went to law school regret it. They now owe more in student loans than most people do on a house and have almost no job prospects. What few jobs there are that can cover that kind of debt are barely a cut above working in a sweat shop... you just get a nicer outfit and car. The hours are the same and you have about the same amount of freedom. Only difference is when you go home from a sweatshop, your work stops. Go home from a law firm... and you've got a blackberry so you better still be billing.

May 11, 2011 at 22:30 | Report abuse |
  13. Rod C. Venger

It seems the lawyers have ganged up, probably with advice from the ABA, and determined that it's time to try and redeem themselves in the eyes of the people. Being held in such low esteem...down there along with rapists and child molesters...has to be tough...and yes, stressful. Rewriting the job description as a "healer" would be a good start. Trouble is, rapists are still rapists and molesters are still molesters. Lawyers will always be...lawyers.

May 11, 2011 at 18:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Neal_T

Typical igonrant comment. Lawyers are a necessary and important part of society, the alternative being every person taking the law into his or her own hands to get vengenace for every wrong. The reason that Shakespeare's had Dick the Butcher proclaim in Henry the VI, "The first thing we do, we kill all the lawyers", was to reflect that a community without attorneys will rapidly dissolve into anarchy and chaos. Unfortuntely, the inherent stresses involved in fighting other people's battles on a day-to-day basis results in serious problems for many in the profession. This article is not some ABA plant. It simply addresses what is constantly addressed in bar associations and journals across the country. You should not speak nonsense about things that you know nothing about. YOu just look foolish.

May 11, 2011 at 18:48 | Report abuse |
    • CM

Sorry Neal, he's right. And I was a lawyer, so I know what I'm talking about. Now get back to grabbing your ankles for partners biglaw.

May 11, 2011 at 22:32 | Report abuse |
  14. UsefulHuman_NotALawyer

Meditate on this LAwDogs...
    "Lawyers havent been this popular since Robespierre slaughtered half of France"
    Thanks to MS. Mitchell for that one..

May 11, 2011 at 18:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Kendall

I am not sure I would ever say that one law prof was the "grandfather" of mindfulness in the profession. I think even mildly aware beings have been involved in meditation and other forms of conscious relaxation for as long as it has been around in the west. Perhaps not as common as today but nonetheless I suspect many of the legal "outsiders" have known about these practices for ages.

As a practicing attorney, I can say that I strongly believe in meditation as one tool for stress. I think that there are many other tools as well and I do believe that bringing mindfulness into the daily practice–yes, even negotiations and in counseling clients–is a key differentiators for the new breed of attorneys.

As far as those that hate the practice, I too hated it when I was pigeon-holed into lame projects at big firms. As I have developed a practice that includes mindfulness not just in how I react but also in whom I help, life has changed dramatically. It is that holistic view of life–wherein awareness is a part of everything we do including the clients we choose–that really distinguishes the barbaras from the Pamelas. Just my two cents.

May 11, 2011 at 18:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. stevie68a

To get more into spirituality, our notions of success and "making it" are really what's wrong in the first place. For instance, what
    is more destructive, success or failure? Think about it....

May 11, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. JWH

Yen shin........believe, repent and be baptised.

May 11, 2011 at 19:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Yeah

By "die from suicide" I think you mean "commit suicide"

May 11, 2011 at 19:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. charles s

The practice of law is about conflict. I am not a lawyer but it seems that once you are in the middle of a conflict between two parties, then being stressed is impossible to avoid. Maybe that is why so many lawyers give up the practice of law to find something less stressful. Good luck finding calm and practicing the law at the same time.

May 11, 2011 at 19:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Disgruntled senior associate

I don't know where you got your figures, but the 20% abusing alcohol is way low...should be more like 60.....then add in cocaine use, marijuanna and you are close to 80; top it all off by including the number of lawyers on bi-polar meds or antidepressents. ......Virtually the entire profession is chemically dependent in one way or another.

May 12, 2011 at 11:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Yogini

In my own experience being a litigator was incompatible with mindfulness in the long term – the best I could do was accept each moment as it came, but joy and enthusiasm were out of reach. In most litigation the lawyers are tools of overactive egos looking for vindication – not an ideal role for someone trying to become free of their own ego. But that's not to say there aren't niches within the law that are potentially harmonious with a non-egoistic existence.

May 12, 2011 at 16:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Elizabeth

A strong spiritual base is the core for staying steady in the storm. I have been a lawyer for 18 years and would have gone crazy years ago except for my christian faith. It helps me to see how temporary everything is in this world – how fleeting all these "crisis" moments are. I have also studied buddhism and wicca, it all helps a person to understand the importance of perspective in this life.

May 13, 2011 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. J.W.Weitzell

I know everyone is having a swell time, and I have no desire to be a "wet blanket" but please, please take the time to try to understand what "Zen" really is about. Start here: one can have meditation without Zen (happens all the time), but one cannot rpt cannot have Zen without meditation. Don't take my word for it – LOOK IT UP!

May 13, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Atiya

My co-worker forwarded this link to us and I am grateful she did. I have practiced law for 10+ years. I have meditated for about 5 years. I used to hate the work that I did; today I love it and I am doing the exact same work. Following a spiritual path (and having a daily spiritual practice) has enhanced every area of my life. I work in the area of domestic violence provention as a litigator and my clients benefit from the peace and calm that I have found. I often meditate in open court as I am waiting for my cases to be heard. I am blessed with the willingness to meditate any time I need to in order to maintain my serenity.

Be well.

May 13, 2011 at 14:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Doug Chermak

Check out http://www.contemplativemind.org/programs/law/ for more info. We'd love to have you join our community!

May 19, 2011 at 12:00 | Report abuse |
  25. JULIE

BE CAREFUL WHEN IT COMES TO LAWYERS I MET A BAD ONE ON OAKLAND CA AND I HATE WHAT I BECAME BECAUSE OF HER. I HATED LAWYERS WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH THEM. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY DIPOSE YOU AND CALL YOUR FATHER THE GASTAPO. PEOPLE NEED TO CALL THE BAR BEFORE HIRING A LAWYER AND THE BBB IF THEY ARE NOT IN GOOD STANDING DO NOT HIRE THEM.

May 13, 2011 at 14:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. V. White

I wish I could sit still long enough to meditate. I've tried but I can't do it. It's also hard for me to believe that some of the lawyers I know are capable of getting a benefit from meditating. Some of these people are neurotic egomaniacs. Do you have to be a semi-good person for meditation to help you?

May 14, 2011 at 01:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • a

You could try yoga it has many of the same benefits but involves moving, or you could try taking a relaxing walk.

May 16, 2011 at 19:44 | Report abuse |
  27. LeftinTexas

Meditation will help anyone in high stress professions but is not an "instant" stress reliever and one needs patience. Our society wants and expects 'instant" relief. Most people would opt to pop a pill instead of taking the time to meditate.

May 14, 2011 at 17:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Like it

Interesting to see that meditation is becoming more mainstream. I also find it fascinating that Justice Breyer does it, but doesn't really call it that. He just refers to it as "sitting peacefully and thinking of nothing." That's the way I approach it, less about sitting in a way I would imagine a Buddist monk sitting and more about just casually pausing during my day and becoming aware of my breathing. Recognizing that it doesn't have to be a formal practice was a break though for me. I now pause a few times throughout the day, particularly when things seem particularly stressful...it helps me gain perspective and focus.

One other thing. Here's an interesting blog post from Harvard Business School professor and former Medtronic CEO Bill George (a repost of a Bloomberg article), which talks about how he, golf star Tiger Woods, and Ford Motor Co. chairman William Ford all meditate regularly: http://tinyurl.com/3uy3gb6

May 14, 2011 at 20:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. LatinaLawyer

Having mostly practiced in Juvenile Court–I can tell you the legal world can be quite stressful. When things get heated....meditation would come in hand, for all parties. Reading that one of our Top Lawyers–SCT Justice Breyer has his own version of meditation is surprisingly cool–and a great example for others. This topic comes from a fresh angle...I wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks.

May 15, 2011 at 20:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Peter Vroom

As Vedic Meditation teachers our practice includes a good proportion of lawyers. Most are in creative arts like acting and writing then second come the lawyers and therapists.

Peter Vroom – Professional Vedic Meditation Teacher

May 16, 2011 at 13:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Bambi

A truly amazing write :)

May 17, 2011 at 01:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Siddhartha kamisetti

Thank you for this piece. Meditation is definitely an effective instrument for attaining a peaceful mind.

June 2, 2011 at 09:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. David Ashton

From where I sit, it seems that lawyers practicing Zen and other forms of Buddhism are definitely on the rise. We used to be a dying breed.

July 4, 2011 at 01:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Chapter 7 Bankruptcy

Whats the best place to read more on this topic. I have been hunting through your site and am trying to uncover more information.

April 14, 2012 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. T. M. Hochscheid

I practice law in a mid size firm in Cincinnati, Ohio. Lawyers can be a miserable bunch. But, I am learning that we are also people who try to support our families, help our clients and have a life. The Cincinnati Bar Association has started a Health and Well Being Committee to address these issues. I am the Chair of that Committee and I can tell you that finding something that helps you function as an attorney during the day and be a human being too is what is the core of our message. I am a meditator. I have been known to close my door for 20 minutes and sit quitely and meditate. I also have meditation time before work every day. I find it helps me stay focused and has increased by productivity. Walking at lunch helps as well. It is a personal thing being well and practicing law. Meditation is not a quick fix nor can it be. I would suggest people learn about the neuroscience behind this growing trend and decide for themselves. The Book Buddha's Brain is a great resource and there are many others. If you are interested in what we are doing in Cincinnati you can find more information on my blog and http://www.balancingthebar.wordpress.com.

May 11, 2012 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. T. M. Hochscheid

Reblogged this on Balancing the Bar and commented:
    Meditation and practicing law. Try it. You will be surprised a the clarity of mind.

May 11, 2012 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. yoga for beginners and weight loss

You actually make it appear really easy with your presentation however I to find this topic to be actually something which I think I might never understand. It sort of feels too complex and extremely vast for me. I am looking forward on your subsequent put up, I will try to get the hold of it!

June 29, 2012 at 11:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. dkrycek

I know that a lot of my friends have gotten into meditation and spiritual therapy. It seems to have really taken off recently. Do you know of any business that does spiritual therapy in New York City, NY? Thanks for your article! It was very helpful in letting me know what this is all about.

November 2, 2012 at 13:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Katherine Bachelder

Please Check out this site for Meditating Lawyers. https://www.facebook.com/meditatinglawyers?ref=hl

December 14, 2012 at 22:12 | Report abuse | Reply