home
RSS
May 5th, 2011

Dr. Drew: Tough, grown-up choices for teen moms

May 4: Not a holiday. Not a special occasion. But it is one of the most important days of the year - The National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. Too many of our children are having children.

The U.S. has double the teen pregnancy rate of Canada. It’s four times greater than in Germany and France. And eight times higher than in Japan. America’s rate of teen pregnancy is the highest in the developed world. I’d love to focus on the fact that fewer teens are having babies now, than 20 years ago. But I can’t. Not today, anyway.

I work with MTV’s “Teen Moms." I come face-to-face with young girls who are pregnant - 16-year-old girls who may have to failed to use protection or have used it correctly. They are shocked to find themselves in “trouble."

There’s shame, fear, uncertainty and worse: the realization that they will either have to raise a baby or make an adoption plan. No proms, no college, no fun, no money and maybe... no boyfriend. Teen mothers Maci, Farrah and Catelynn can relate. They told me their cautionary tales on HLN’s “Dr. Drew.”

Opinion: MTV's 'Teen Mom' glamorizes being pregnant

I call it the real reality. They don’t live glamorous lives. They do not glorify their situations. The show doesn’t. And neither do I. Raising a child is tough for anyone. Raising a child without adequate money and means is beyond difficult. Ask the “Teen Moms” and they will tell you that no amount of attention takes the problems away. It may even aggravate them.

Opinion: Why I created MTV's '16 and Pregnant'

Would Maci, Farrah and Catelynn do things differently if they could start over? You bet. And they want other teens to know that.

Teen pregnancies change lives, usually not for the better. And let’s not forget the children. Kids have a better chance of making it when they have stable, mature moms and dads.

This is not an indictment of single parents. Millions of responsible men and women raise boys and girls who become productive, positive adults. And I don’t want to demonize teen mothers. So many of them are admirable people, who face the challenges head-on. But let’s ask our children to wait to have sex. It’s right to wait. And when they do, we can’t just hope they are armed with information and good judgment. Parents, talk to your kids about having babies.

That’s the purpose of a National Day to Prevent Teen Pregnancy. It's a conversation you won't regret. And kids, think very hard about what you're doing. It’s not just your life you may be changing.

1. illa_kotilla

Except all the teen moms gained fame and some measure of profitability from the show. That'll make the rate go up, despite the reality of raising kids.

Also, look at the education levels of the countries which have lower teen pregnancy rates. BAM! what a shock, the U.S. is well below all those countries.

May 5, 2011 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • junior

I say we don't give these teen moms a dime. Let the babies daddy and the 4 grandparents support the kid.

May 5, 2011 at 20:58 | Report abuse |
    • SophieCat

This show is the EXACT OPPOSITE of everything it claims to be – teen girls are actually GETTING PREGNANT SO THEY CAN BE ON THE SHOW! Get Pregnant! Call MTV! Get free money! Get Attention! Hair! Wardrobe! Make-Up! Close-Ups! Attention, Attention, ATTENTION!!!!

If the financial reward wasn't there, HOW MANY GIRLS WOULD BE WILLING TO LET CAMERAS FOLLOW THEM AROUND AND FILM THEIR PATHETIC DESTROYED LIVES?? HOW MANY? NONE, that's how many!

I never watch this crap, it encourages girls to get pregnant and be the "Star" of their own wrecked life.

May 6, 2011 at 14:40 | Report abuse |
  2. Jean

That's because Canada has a realistic, non-religious approach to the problem.

May 5, 2011 at 18:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LEB

Now, now, stop that logic nonsense.

May 6, 2011 at 06:10 | Report abuse |
    • SophieCat

You'll NEVER get those right-wing NUT-JOBS out of a woman's cooze. They've been firmly planted there and now they think they BELONG there.

After the baby is born they magically disappear, taking all their fundamentalist rhetoric and 700-Club funding with them. If they stuck around, someone might ask them for some REAL help with all these unwanted kids. They're not about that – they're about cooze legislation.

May 6, 2011 at 14:42 | Report abuse |
  3. Joe B

Dr. Drew does all this for teen moms because he's made so much MONEY off the teen mom series. I love how fake these people (dr.drew) try to be acting like he's genuinely concerned all to make a profit by glamorizing a terrible problem in America.

May 5, 2011 at 18:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • James

Joe, you've apparently never listened to Loveline. Dr. Drew was doing this stuff long before it was profitable. While I think he is occasionally too black or white on some issues, he's the only "celebrity doctor" that I trust.

May 5, 2011 at 18:22 | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Does this James guy not realize that he also made money on love line?

May 5, 2011 at 22:19 | Report abuse |
    • MTrop

The show is his job, and in that capacity, bringing attention to this and many other issues are his job. Would you turn down a paycheck for doing yours? Would you expect someone to hold it against you if you didn't? Guess what? That's how life works. You do a job, and you get paid for it.
      He also did not force these girls to talk about their pregnancies. Dr. Drew is not a slave driver and he's not exploiting them by offering to pay them money for voluntarily making an appearance to bring awareness to the real consequences of teen pregnancy. Furthermore, it's on a specific nationally dedicated day to this subject.
      Exploitation looks much different than this, folks. This is not a battle of rich vs poor, or privileged vs disadvantaged. It's Person A talking to Person B, and they are both getting paid for their trouble.

May 5, 2011 at 23:02 | Report abuse |
    • Not Phil

Dear MTrop,
      If you are genuinely concerned about an issue, you usually work for or donate to a non-profit related to the issue you are concerned about. If you want to make a profit about an issue you become Dr. Drew, Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, take your pick.
      So yes, I am going to hold it against Dr. Drew that he gets paid to promote this issue.
      If he were legitimately concerned he would donate significant portions of his profits to charity or one of the other above suggestions.

May 6, 2011 at 00:33 | Report abuse |
    • Elle3

Dr. Drew doesn't produce "Teen Mom"....therefore, he does not make money on the actual show! He's done a lot to make bring important social and mental health issues to the public. It's unfortunate our society needs something to be a reality show before they have conversations about it!! And he's a well trained and experienced physician that works very hard and deserves to make money for putting himself out there for public scrutiny for the greater good.

May 8, 2011 at 22:09 | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

My daughter gave birth at 16. Her father and I stood by her 110%. We have now a wonderful grandson that just turned 13. I always new in my heart she would be a good mother. She went to college making $50,000 year plus now. It happens to the best of us. I am not saying it was easy. But, in our case it turned out to be a blessing. So, if it happens to your dauther ask yourself can you give your child and future gandchild 110%.M

May 5, 2011 at 18:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ieat

well would you want your grandson to have a child with a woman in 3 years?

May 5, 2011 at 19:50 | Report abuse |
    • Andrew

See, growing up my parents taught be how to be RESPONSIBLE. They also told me that if I got someone pregnant I would be on my own, they would not help. They also made sure I knew to CLOSE MY LEGS (metaphorically speaking since I'm a guy) and if I couldn't do that, to at least use a condom.

May 5, 2011 at 20:39 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

I noticed you didn't mention the kid's father. If your daughter had waited another 10 years until she was married and ready to have kids, she might be making $100K right now, and you and your husband wouldn't had had any child-raising duties in the years you should have been planning for retirement. You could have just sat back and enjoyed the fun part of grandparenting, rather than being Backup Mom and Proxy Dad.

May 6, 2011 at 06:35 | Report abuse |
    • itsamystery

If my mother and father hadn't helped me, who knows where we'd be by now. I don't believe parents should throw their kids away for making an error in judgement. If it weren't for these grandparents, there's no option but welfare. So many girls (including me many years ago) find themselves in this difficult situation and everyone turns against them. They need their family to back them, build their self-esteem, and teach them how to be great parents.
      Please have a happy Mother's Day and be proud of how you backed your daughter. Believe me, she will be grateful all her life.

May 6, 2011 at 11:06 | Report abuse |
    • Patricia Knight

Ya because it happens sometime and u can help it

September 19, 2011 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
  5. QuietStormX

I've watched a few shows and feel for these young girls and their families. And the young men are bumbs. Very few times I've seen two parent families where their are strong parents. I think the show is having a adverse effect on some parts of the country where there are huge teen parents. But at some point those who watch get a dode of true life and dreams lost. And I'm one who had two cousins that were teen parents. When I was young, my mom talked too me. I used protection in every situation and have no children yet...

May 5, 2011 at 18:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Yang

Great idea! Would that work to get rid of illegals too? You might be a Nazi if...

May 6, 2011 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
  6. Drew

Wouldn't it be nice if some sort of birth control was laced into our water supply? Kind of like when fluoride was added to water? If you want to get pregnant, you'd need to obtain a RX from a doctor that would neutralize it. It would keep teens and countless others who shouldn't be allowed to reproduce from getting knocked up.

May 5, 2011 at 18:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • K

What a horrendous suggestion. Do you think hormonal birth control is just some sort of magical fairy cure? It has side effects, and different women find they need different types to function well. Not to mention the possible impact on fertility.

Also, the hormones would have effects on the men and children as well, genius. Terrible, ignorant comment.

May 6, 2011 at 11:17 | Report abuse |
  7. JJsMom

IF the "parents" of these Teen Mom's brought their children up right, Dr Drew wouldn't have to worry so much about them and he's worrying all the way to the bank over them. Young ladies today needs to learn to keep their knees locked shut, until they reach the appropriate age......they aren't hurting anybody but themselves. Young men of today need to keep their pee pee's in their pants, until they reach the appropriate age.

May 5, 2011 at 18:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mother in columbus

first all let me say, you can bring your children up right, teach them values etc. however, it comes a time when they may fall into peer pressure, and guys telling them how much they love them. at a certain age they have a mind of their own.. And to all the people who blame the girls, it takes 2 people to create a child! The focus should be on how alot of guys have their "fun" but then they dont take responsibility. It makes me sick that the girls are always blamed!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure there are boys that turn into men and help raise their children wich they had a part in creating. However, it usually falls on the girls. Lastly becareful how you judge because you never know what tomorrow will bring...

May 5, 2011 at 19:37 | Report abuse |
    • endora

Mother in Columbus, please read the poster Dave's comment below. It's not just the girls who raise these children.

There is also a young man at my company in the same situation who recently won full custody of his little boy. The teenage mom could care less. The custody battle was between he and the girl's parents! But I just thought I'd stick up for the young men who do step up to the plate, even if they are in the minority. They're out there...

May 5, 2011 at 21:39 | Report abuse |
  8. TashaS

Where did you get these statistics? Don't try to point out blacks or hispanics and make it seem as if they are the only group of people having children as teenagers. Whites are just as guilty as any other race in this country.

May 5, 2011 at 18:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Steve

Looks like someone here is a functional illiterate. I gave a non-zero illegitimacy rate for whites, so I wasn't claiming that blacks and Hispanics were the only problem groups. It is undeniable, however, that they have higher out-of-wedlock birth rates than whites.

Essence magazine ran a cover story a year or two ago that put the % of single-parent households among blacks at about 67%. The vast majority of these will involve out-of-wedlock births, as even blacks will acknowledge. Their figure doesn't include two-parent households with out-of-wedlock births, so the out-of-wedlock total is even higher.

As someone who has lived in a major US city all his life, I can tell you that, from long personal observation, the black illegitimacy rate is at least 75%, and probably higher. The white rate is surprisingly high, but nowhere near that of blacks.

Time to face reality, sweets.

May 5, 2011 at 19:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Amanda

What amazes me is how, when they have the segment on the show of the pregnant teen talking to her friends about how she got pregnant, very few of them are using birth control. The boys say they "feel weird" buying condoms. We need to have honest conversations with teens about birth control and show them the math...a $10 box of condoms and spermicide vs. $222,360 to raise a child to adulthood.

May 5, 2011 at 19:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. yesidid

You are a total dingdong. You care nothing about these girls. You only want them to make a horse's rear out of themselves on public television. Your middle initial should be "E" for exploitation. If you cared, you would shut down this ridiculous show and take them somewhere private to teach them life skills.

May 5, 2011 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • endora

Wiish CNN had a "like" button.

May 5, 2011 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
  12. ImSoDone

The hugest problem I've seen while watching this show is the conflicting agendas with the pregnant girls, the boyfriends and the parents. It seems no one has an easy time accepting that the baby's needs should come first. A pregnant teen's problem becomes a problem for all (her parents, his parents, and as we've seen with "Alexandra" on Dr. Phil, this also becomes a huge problem for the neglected younger sibling). It also seems that everyone's weaknesses emerge: parents become controlling narcissists, the girls suddenly think because they are pregnant have incredibly unrealistic expectations of their boyfriends, and the boyfriends regress. It would be wise if MTV could offer these people family therapy for all persons involved to let everyone know what roles they have after the baby arrives instead of watching the trainwreck that happens each time this show is on.

May 5, 2011 at 20:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Amanda

Too bad CNN doesn't have a "like" button. Well put.

May 5, 2011 at 20:31 | Report abuse |
  13. icrabbidppl

Steve, you would go a lot further with a little less condescension and some actual statistics. As interesting as your personal experience and worldview is, only a valid statistical analysis that covers the entire country -not just your sampling- can and should be used in an argument to prove any point. That is, if you want to base your argument in facts. Your truth here is only your perspective, in other words, and we all have one but it doesn't really mean much here. Personally, I agree with a poster somewhere upfeed and think we need to stop with religious based s.e.x. ed and start with reality based s.e.x. ed. That would be a good start, in my opinion anyway.

May 5, 2011 at 20:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Dave

My girlfriend left when our daughter was only 10 months old, not really sure why, I think she resented the fact that all her friends were going out partying and she couldn't, so I've been raising my daughter alone (with help from my family!) and she'll be eight next month and she hasn't seen her mom since, so it's not just single moms out there Dr. Drew there's a few of us single dads around too.

May 5, 2011 at 20:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • PDXmum

You're a good man.

May 6, 2011 at 15:52 | Report abuse |
  15. TDomer

These girls should all be giving their babies up for adoption. It's shocking how little this is discussed on MTV's shows. Also, blame the girls more. They pick the worst guys to sleep with. 99% of those guys are losers and the girls have horrible decision making skills.

May 5, 2011 at 20:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pointless1

Do you think if it's just so easy for people to adopt babies here in the states.. there would be 100,000's of kids all over the US without homes? It's easier by far to adopt from overseas and far cheaper as well... we do it to ourselves..

May 5, 2011 at 22:49 | Report abuse |
    • Abby

Im 16 and a teen mom and im sorry but the guy that got me pregnant was not the type you are talking about, we loved eachother and he said he'd always be there for me, most of the dirtbags that get go=irls pregnant and run off arnt like he was he was well off and an amazing guy but he left anyways he still ran way friom me and our son. And im not going to give my baby up to two strangers that i will never really know well enough to trust me child with. I do everything for my child, change him, feed him, clean him, get up with him in the middle of the night every night. i do not go out without him unless its school and work which i do those things for him. i do everything i do for him. Not all teen mom are people that dump their kids on their parents. please dont assume.

May 6, 2011 at 10:34 | Report abuse |
  16. Bonnie

I would like to say that becomming a teenage mother at a young age...it's not easy! I never planned on getting pregant but found myself in this situation after my first alcohol beverage that was spiked and made me pass out. I was left wondering, just a year earlier my friends and I were talking and wondering who the next teen mom of the senior class would be. Well, that would come to be me. I had so many thoughts and when my principal took me aside in a hall and told me to get an abortion because I would never make it. I refused to let anyone tell me I would not make it! It's first of all...using contaception and not drinking alcohol and I would love if all teens would abide by that...and I will try but know in reality it is not 100% possible. I believed in myself and went on to finally complete my MBA in 2006. I'm 34 now and have a fantastic almost 16 year old and would not trade ANYTHING in the world. But, I will say I struggled so hard for 14 years and it is not easy. I was fortunate to believe in myself and take negative comments and make them inspire me. I wish all the Teem Mom's all the best......don't give up....get rid of the negative people that bring you down and move onward....do what you always dreamed of when you were a little girl...it will be tough and you will have to make sacrifices....but YOU can do it!

May 5, 2011 at 21:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bjk

A teen drinking alcohol? You might have thought all worked out even though you struggled for 14 years but what kind of memories of growing up did you create for your child? Was it a struggle for him/her that one day will be a strong yearning for having memories of a stable, comfortable family upbrining?

May 5, 2011 at 21:33 | Report abuse |
  17. bjk

Too many children are born to a single mother who cannot afford to pay for the birth, to feed, cloth, or shelter them. They do not stop at one, two, three or more. Like it or not, procedures should be performed automatically to stop the ability to have any more births that must be paid for by the government. Remember, "children learn what they live" and when a woman has five children she can't support and each child then has five children they cannot afford, we end up with 30 children brought up knowing they don't have to support their children because that's how they were raised.

May 5, 2011 at 21:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. endora

The show doesn't glamorize teem pregnancy? I couldn't disagree more! These teens are on MTV – isn't that enough?

The show ends, so even if it were excruciating to watch (and who are we kidding, they wouldn't air it if it were), the "reality" goes away after minutes or an hour. Ask any mom, teen or otherwise how different thiis show is from actually raising a baby.

May 5, 2011 at 21:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. ANN

i like this SHOW,HOWEVER, YOU , need to adress the FACT, that girls "do not" become teen MOMs, with out the MALE....I m sick of hearing that its the Girl fault........INTERVIEW THESE BOYS , AS WELL!

May 5, 2011 at 21:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hmmm

The males are irresponsible teenage idiots and should share the blame, but that definitely doesn't take all the blame off of the girl. It's still "her fault" too.

May 5, 2011 at 22:04 | Report abuse |
  20. Renee

so they mention having the baby or putting it up for adoption, but no mention of abortion, which is just a valid of an option...Way to not actually provide all possible solutions

May 5, 2011 at 21:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Abby

I forgot that it was okay to kill the human being that is living and growing iside you.. its not.

May 6, 2011 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
  21. CJ

I initially read the headline as "Dr. Dre: Tough, grown-up choices for teen moms" and was very confused for a minute.

May 5, 2011 at 21:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Andrew

Hey, Drew. Why not address the irresponsible asses who knock them up?

May 5, 2011 at 21:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. JW

Maybe we should promote the use of condoms via national ad campaigns like they do in every other country in the world.

May 5, 2011 at 22:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Hmmm

My personal opinion on these young people having children is that the government shouldn't contribute a dime to them. It is their responsibility to raise and provide for the kid (both mom and dad.) If they can't provide for the child, then the government takes the child and the parents are left to fend for themselves instead of using the kid as a meal-ticket. I'm sure some will whine about this not being compassionate; compassion's overrated. Tax-payers shouldn't have to pay for your mistakes. If I was irresponsible and needed help I wouldn't expect it and certainly wouldn't demand it like it was a right.

May 5, 2011 at 22:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. christina

U wouldnt kno wat a teen mom goes through unless u have been there. I kno wat its like. Ya I may not have been 16 yen i had my little girl but i was 18. I didnt jon wat it was going to be like and it was and still is hell everyday i struggle. Ive faced alot of thing the girls on ."Teen Mom" have so unless u have lived the life of a teen mom foot say nothin about it cuz t have no idea wat they in through

May 5, 2011 at 22:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bc

Certainly hope your child/children are better educated than their mother! Please get more education–especially proper spelling and use of the English language. No employer is going to pay a decent salary to someone who can't speak properly. Your main responsibility to your child should be that she get a better education than her mother so that she will not make the same mistakes and have the chance at a better future.

May 5, 2011 at 22:49 | Report abuse |
  26. nguyen

I have a female friend who 20k arrears (behind) in child support. Kids....READ UP on what happens to parents who FAIL to pay CHILD SUPPORT. Look at the absolute HELL your life will be in for YEARS and it doesn't end just because they are 18...especially if you are NOT caught up on child support.

The court costs, the attorneys, the limitations on how far away you can live from a custodial parent...the WAGE GARNISHMENTS of up to 65% of your income....AFTER taxes. So that means your $1,000 paycheck may be a whopping $500 or LOWER. Try working for that wage and just LOVING your kids every minute of it.

Forget carrying an egg around all day to see what responsibility is. Google: What happens when parents don't pay child support.

Oh...and for those who think that just because your a teen parent...guess what? When you turn 18 years old .....you get to REALLY pay adult. Oh...and being a student and unemployed will NOT get you out of support.

This is why I don't have kids and don't date people who do. Real world decisions require ADULTS to make them. Grow up!!!!

May 5, 2011 at 22:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. nguyen

Tyraid part II

And for the lucky teen parents (usually mom's) who get to rasie the child (cuz homeboy daddy is off with his homies)...you get to live in povery (not everyone is like Bristol Palin with Sarah Palin as a mommy and their income). For a while...you girlfriends (gf) will dote over your new "toy." Then....they will disappear.

You get diaper duty and they get college....job training....travel overseas for an exchange program...they ain't gonna know your name in about six months – if not less.

You are setting yourself up for a life of POVERTY. Oh sure...there are a few shining examples of teen mom's who did wonderfully raising their kid (kudos – better you than me) – but for the most part....it's you....the diaper hamper and the baby. Figure out child care...getting a job...transportation....overtime hours at the job...keeping the job because child is sick and you're gone all the time.

I think MTV needs to show more of THAT stuff...and not this..."my babies daddy" crap!!

May 5, 2011 at 22:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Maya

Maryy are yhii black or white bcuz thatz very rascist what yhuu said maybee everyone knows that balck people hage teen moms but everyone thinks whites are omg supper perfect. they want 2 get it 2 the world whitres arent perfect !

May 5, 2011 at 22:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pointless1

I must have missed English class that day...

May 5, 2011 at 22:41 | Report abuse |
  29. MN mom

With strong family support many of these children born to young parents can have healthy prosperous lives. Unfortunately, many of the girls on the show don't have that. I had a child at 20 and felt much too young. With the support of my family I was able to go to college and grad school and raise a child who is respectful,respected ,intelligent and very loved. I now own my own home and have a successful career that allows me to send the time I need with him. For those who are quick to judge teen pregnancy can happen to anyone and there are a lot o married couples who have children they can't take care and who don't know how to properly raise them. THIS IS TRUE REGARDLESS OF COLOR ALSO!

May 5, 2011 at 22:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Chad

The magazine covers, red carpet events, and promo's all point to glamorization from my perspective. Sure, the fame and money doesn't make up for the unhappiness that's been sewed in their lives, but you can't deny that these perks don't count for nothing. I'm sure there are lots of existing teen moms vying to be on the next Teen Mom show for this reason.

May 5, 2011 at 22:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LEB

Those perks come at a heavy price. These girls have NO privacy, and their every actions are scrutinized, exploited, exaggerated, or utterly falsified by the tabloids. Farrah and Maci may be enjoying their fake boobs and cuddle fests with the Jersey Shore casts now, but you can bet they're going to seriously regret some of these choices when their kids are old enough to understand what their mothers have put them through. Give it 30 years, and we'll see a rash of "I Was Born On 16 And Pregnant" memoirs from the kids talking about how messed up they are.

May 6, 2011 at 07:09 | Report abuse |
    • SophieCat

If they're so stupid they would get pregnant at such a young age while unmarried then obviously they're not thinking of how their actions are going to impact them later on in life. Wisdom is wasted on the young, they can't hear you and they don't care. They're emotionally unstable, monstrously selfish, incredibly immature and naive, and their priorities are "Me, Me, ME". They're sickening. Absolutely SICKENING.

May 6, 2011 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
  31. nguyen

Next to the ubiquitously bad grammar I'm witnessing on this board (which truncates my thoughts so short at times I feel I'm having to pick my brain off the floor) those of you playing the race card....too late! You pay...you play. You breed you feed (ask child support serves in your state if you don't believe me).

Race is NOT the issue – it's an old topic...get over it. Born Black? Get over it. Momma beats you? Get over it. Daddy gone all the time? Get over it. School (or skool for some of you) too difficult...teachers don't understand you.....get over it!

YOU are the the creator of your own life. YOU decide what type of day you will have. YOU...not White people.....rich White people....YOU.

Oh...and I"m not white and I was orphaned....beaten....growing up. GET over it!

May 5, 2011 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Brigit

My mom was a teen when I was born and it was very tough on her and on me. She couldn't handle parenting, plus she's bi-polar. It was more like having an unstable, older sister than a parent. She's a good person, but I really don't know what it's like to have a mom in the conventional sense. Needless to say, we were poor in the early years. Definitely not a good way to get started in life. I only have one child and waited until I was in my thirties. I'm lucky - as unstable and emotionally abusive as mom could be, I have a good father and that has made a huge difference in my life.

This is something we really need to get a handle on as a country. It's shocking how many young, single girls (of all races and socio-economic groups) are having children. It's not about morality - it's about responsibility and maturity and being able to raise productive and well-adjusted children. Most teens and young adults are ill-equipped to be parents.

May 5, 2011 at 23:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Michelle

I just wonder how many teen moms would be so ready to spread the "message" if they weren't getting money, fame and plastic surgery from it? MTV can say that they aren't glamorizing or promoting teen pregnancy, but if that were true, why are they paying them and doing casting calls to find more?

May 6, 2011 at 00:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. bettyorner

I found a site where you can get coupons for restaurant called "printapons" they are on all over the news, search online

May 6, 2011 at 06:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. LEB

Not all of the cast members are white. Plenty have been minorities or mixed race, either the mother or father or both. If there seem to be a lot of white people on the show, then I hate to offer a reality check, but there are more white people, period.

May 6, 2011 at 06:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. nina786

waw that's a good TV programme....:) teenager couldn't have baby that soon because they are not ready phisically and mentally to be a mom.....

May 6, 2011 at 07:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. persephone7

As someone who works in the medical field and deals with the general population on a daily basis, i'll say that there are too many young parents out there who are raising children and doing it VERY poorly. Yes, teenage pregancy can happen to anyone, but what you do after the birth of your child, is a bigger problem, not the getting pregnant part. Too many of these parents end up unemployed and useless members of society, collecting medicaid and becoming a drain on tax payers with jobs that actually contribute something to society. All they are contributing is another freeride mouth to feed. So, fine, get pregnant, but once you make the decision to keep and raise your child, DO IT RIGHT. Be responsible....just because YOU got pregnant and decided to keep your child, YOU support it, not ME. Get a job, get a sitter, go to school, make it work on YOUR own.

May 6, 2011 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. danielle

you all keep talking about dr. drew like hes doing something wrong. that man is a licensed doctor so he should be paid. its work related and it takes time away from his family. you get paid for your job so what makes you think he should work for free?

May 6, 2011 at 09:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. danielle

and lets talk about if the show was based on black teens...on teen mom most of the parents are pretty stable. look at the homes they live in! you take that show out of the suburbs and put in straight in the ghetto and what you will get is a totally different show! it will be much worse than what you see now and america is not ready for that:

May 6, 2011 at 09:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. anita

I disagree with this article. I think it would be a thousand times easier to have a child when you are a teen. A free roof over your head, no need to worry about homelessness, there are alternative school programs you can go to to get caught up and graduate. Then you can still go to college. I wish i would have had a kid when i was a teen then as an adult my child wouldnt need childcare i could send her straigt to 1st grade. They have it very good and dont even have a clue. I had my kid by myself at age 20 and i dont have my own parents or a father for my child and i am The Best Mom on the face of this earth. Plus the teen moms can still go to college. I went to college and worked while living at a homeless shelter with my daughter. Im pretty sure being a teen mom is not that serious unless youve had a pretty dang good childhood. Then it may be something to be sacred of.

May 6, 2011 at 10:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SophieCat

God, you're such an IDIOT. Your mouth opens and pure lunacy comes spewing out.

May 6, 2011 at 14:45 | Report abuse |
  41. dom625

Well, I cannot speak for the entire of the US, but in the high school where I teach, over the ten years that I have been here, I have seen two pregnant white teens and over fifty pregnant black girls. One of my seniors, 18 years old at the time, already had two different babies by two different guys (and yes, she was black)! And the two fellows she reproduced with were drug-dealing, foul-mouthed, no-prospect losers. It seems as if all of the teen moms here have selected the worst of the worst to couple with.

May 6, 2011 at 10:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. common sense

If you're a white girl and you're thinking about dating inter racially, I have news for you. You'll get knocked up, left by the "baby daddy" and no self respecting white guy will wanna date some black dudes "sloppy second". Fact.

May 6, 2011 at 10:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mother in columbus

That is the most ridiculous comment!!! It doesnt matter whether a boy is black or white.... I happen to have a grandaughter who father is black. And guess what? He provides for her.

May 6, 2011 at 14:53 | Report abuse |
  43. danielle

thats some rascist crap to say! not all black men knock up woman and leave! thats ignorant to say...cause lord knows theres no dead beat white dads in the worlld( rolling my eyes)

May 6, 2011 at 10:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. danielle

....and why is this about black and white? getting pregnant young is a bad idea period, no matter who it is. its 2011 people! we need to stop these babies having babies

May 6, 2011 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. quick

Lets see....because white teen pregnancy is a shame and needs to be spot-lighted. Minority teen pregnancy is expected....

May 8, 2011 at 14:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. ethan ashley

For the parents that think by them putting their children up for adoption will make their children hate them. I am 18yrs old. I was adopted to my biological aunt and uncle. I have called them mom and dad since I could talk. I found out I was adopted when I was five. I had asked my mom and dad if I could have sisters. I didn't hate them. Still don't. I feel like I'm special because I was adopted. I know that I was given a better life. I still stay in contact with my biological mother. She's a great mother. For more info my email is ethanashley18@gmail.com

July 16, 2011 at 13:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. chyna

statistically, this show has actually dropped the US rate of teen pregnancy.. look it up.

November 10, 2011 at 23:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Cnn breaking news

It's hard enough nowadays to shop for popular cool apparel when you're in addition size, nevertheless think about as soon as your inside the sounding full figured tiny discovering ...nn models

January 24, 2012 at 23:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. belabela

Dr Drew something that has bothered me for along time....on Teen Moms...Farrah had a DNA test taken for Sofia and found that her boyfriend was the father and his family wouldn't let her get SS for her...well they have no say I would think all Farrah has to do is go to SS office and present his death certificate and proof of Sofia'a paternitiy and she can get SS for Sofia.......

August 25, 2012 at 00:09 | Report abuse | Reply