home
RSS
'Broken mentally' after losing 3 sisters to breast cancer
April 29th, 2011

'Broken mentally' after losing 3 sisters to breast cancer

Cancer has always been part of Marshall Moneymaker’s life (yes, that’s his name).

It touched his father (non-Hodgkin lymphoma) and four of his sisters (breast and ovarian cancers).

The firefighter from Montgomery County, Maryland sports a bright pink firefighter suit and often cheers and hugs breast cancer patients and their families during cancer events. He also wears a bright pink t-shirt with the pictures of his three sisters –  Valessa, Vicky and Penny.  All of them died of breast cancer  in a span of two years. His eldest sister, Vicky, died in 2008 at age 60.  The other older sisters, Penny, 57  and Valessa, 54 died in 2010.  He blogs and shares his perspective on for3sister.com.  The deaths left him "broken mentally."

Moneymaker spoke about dealing with grief, his family and how it has encouraged him to get screened too.

Q: When did you become involved with breast cancer issues?

It started the early spring of 2010. I have three sisters, who passed away from breast cancer.

Q: How has cancer affected other members of your family?

My father had cancer.  It was in remission, he had it a couple of years and passed away for other issues. My other sister just finished battling colon cancer.

Q: Do you ever wonder why it has affected so many members of your family?

A lot of it is probably environmental.

My father was in Korea, they had hygiene issues with lice and they used to douse themselves in DDT.

My sisters all smoked, and were born and raised in a coal town to a certain age.

I am getting tested to see if I have a gene for breast cancer- the BRCA gene, to see if I carry it. I haven’t made the appointment yet. I’m going to get checked.

Of course, the concern being a firefighter is that I’m more likely to get cancer because of my environment.

We have other histories of colon cancer, prostate cancer in my family. I don’t know if we’re just unlucky or what’s going on. I tend to lean a lot toward environmental.

Q: Do you ever feel like cancer has haunted your family?

I never considered it haunting us.  I never considered them (his sisters) dying of cancer.  I considered it fighting against cancer.

I want to find a cure, a cure for breast cancer, then we can find a cure for all the cancers.

I have my moments of anger, sadness.  Like I said, the healing process is learning to deal with this.  I had a lot of humbling lessons I had to learn.  I got over the anger, sadness. I’ll take a tragedy and turn it into something positive.  I could take my story and try to reach other people.

One of the things I talk about a lot is early detection - get checked early.  If they had been checked sooner, the outcome, their lives would’ve been longer.

Q: How did your sisters deal with cancer?

They dealt with it on their own terms.  Valessa didn’t want to know.  She wanted to live her life and did what she could.

Penny wanted to fight it to the end.

Q: What was your relationship like with your sisters?

I was the baby in the family.

One of the reasons I was so close to Penny, she basically raised me. She raised me from when I was a baby and all the way up. She was there a lot, as we got older.  There’s the holidays, Sunday dinners. We ran into each other’s lives, but we weren’t around each other 24-7.

Q: What kind of effect did it have on you – having so many sisters pass away from cancer?

At first, it didn’t register with me. Being a firefighter, you’re so active.

I was the baby brother. I didn’t think it affected me.

I was broken mentally.

When the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure did a pit stop at the station, I offered my services.  I met some incredibly wonderful women and people.  I realized that I was broken. I had pent-up frustration, anger, sadness and all that, that has led me down this path.

I want to be an advocate for breast cancer.  I want to be a motivator for someone doing a walk, a run for the cure, or help people find local resources for wigs and different treatments, and free programs for people who can’t afford it.

1. tiffany

I am so sorry. My father died of stomach cancer when I was 7. I will pray for you and your family

April 29, 2011 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Lisa

As a resident of Montgomery County and a daughter with a father with Stage 4 lung cancer and a young cousin with Leukemia, my thoughts are with you. And thank you for your service to our County.

April 29, 2011 at 16:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. AJ

I dont like pink ribbons or susan g komen. Would be better to concentrate on eliminating those environmental factors that contribute to cancer diagnosis.

April 29, 2011 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cathy W

Sure. Preventing the disease in the first place is a great idea. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to save the people who DO get it.

April 29, 2011 at 17:04 | Report abuse |
    • WhoKnewIt

Yes, we would all like to see environmental issues taken up and changed but our government is to busy dropping bombs all over the world to care about something like this. So, in lieu of that, pink ribbons and organizations like SGK are doing the best they can. My sympathies to you and your family. Every single member of my fathers family, including him, have died from one form of cancer or another....every one of them...

April 29, 2011 at 23:55 | Report abuse |
    • Steve P

Agreed...there is no reason to disregard the large number of individuals that will contract cancer with little environmental input at all. Cancer is simply the transformation or dysregulation of the cell replication cycle and/or dna repair mechanisms and/or genes responsible for cell cycle control. Often times that is a matter of genetics and environment admixed. Often times it is just bad luck. After all, there are billions of cell replications that happen in our body, any one of which can go awry in terms of mutation/transformation to dysregulated and uncontrolled growth over the course of our lifetime, spontaneously and without the contribution of environment. If this individual has lost three sisters to a combination of ovarian and breast cancer, there is a good likelihood that they carried the BRCA gene mutation. In that case, they could have lived in a bubble and eaten organic food and avoided all known carcinogens and they still would have most likely ended up with the same fate.

Let's not dismiss cancer awareness and advocacy in the name of trying to hunt down and eliminate every possible environmental oncogenic contributor. The fact is, you will still be missing a huge number of cancer victims that are afflicted solely secondary to biology, to the fact that the cell cycle is an imperfect process. The more Susan G Koman/pink ribbon cancer awareness campaigns the better. I would just like to expand that to include all forms of cancer. Prevention is great, but awareness, early detection, and advances in treatment are equally, if not more so, important, especially given that we will never come close to preventing all cancers.

April 30, 2011 at 10:10 | Report abuse |
    • kasey

AJ, the ribbons just help raise awareness, and SGK helops raise money. That way we CAN figure out what the cause is and work on a cure.

May 1, 2011 at 21:50 | Report abuse |
    • linda

yeah sure lets just get rid of environmental factors as if that is the main reason for cancer.

May 2, 2011 at 12:35 | Report abuse |
    • GetReal

I'm with you. Pink ribbons and false hope don't cure cancer. This article is more eye-opening than any of the "fights for the cure" that I've seen in the media.

May 2, 2011 at 14:04 | Report abuse |
  4. Lina

Marshall-
    As scary as it may seem, it's better to find out if you have the gene. My father has breast cancer. It was about 10 years ago when he orignally had it and was in remission. Earlier this year he got into a car accident and then they found that the cancer had metastized(spelling?) and moved to his back and spine. Please get it checked out for your own families sake! It's scary, but it can help you. Had my dad kept up on his yearly visits maybe we would have been able to detect it earlier. But we can't dwell on the past! Keep strong!

April 29, 2011 at 17:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • GetReal

I'm sorry about your father. I agree that we should get tested for the gene. Prophylactic measures are much better than dousing your body with mustard gas (chemo) in hopes of living a few years longer.

May 2, 2011 at 14:06 | Report abuse |
  5. mike

the BRCA 1/2 genes probably play a larger role than environmental influence. schedule that appointment asap

April 29, 2011 at 17:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Chandra

Marshall, stay strong and be encouraged. You and so many others have lost loved ones to this nasty disease. However, there is much work that has to be done and seemingly you're a catalyst to help find a cure. I will continue to pray for you and others.

April 29, 2011 at 19:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Santiago

IMPORTANT! The producers of this pofrewul film are allowing a full and FREE preview through June 13th! Please tell everyone you know to watch this film in it's entirety through June 13, 2011.This is the story of a medical doctor and Ph.D biochemist named Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski who won the largest, most convoluted, and intriguing legal battle against the Food and Drug Administration in American history.Google this!Burzynski The Movie Cancer Is Serious BusinessPass it on!!

August 1, 2012 at 16:46 | Report abuse |
  7. Casey

This is a clear case of a genetic predisposition to cancer, likely a mutation in a tumor suppressor gene. The breast and ovarian cancer certainly makes BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutations highly likely.

April 29, 2011 at 21:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jing Hu

Awww. This is so sad. I hope he stays strong.

April 29, 2011 at 22:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. me

How absolutely sad to have lost so many family members. My hat is definitely off to him for having the strength to turn his loss into something positive ♥

April 30, 2011 at 00:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. james taylor

im touch by ur story. I have a real goooood friend of mine. Was dignosed with breast cancer. She was sooo in secure about herself after surgery and financlly drained but she a fighter and im asking God to deliver and im praying for everyone that fighting this thing called cancer. I also want to keep him in prayer as well . Thanks

April 30, 2011 at 01:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. james taylor

im touch by ur story. I have a real goooood friend of mine. she was dignosed with breast cancer. She was sooo in secure about herself after surgery and financlly drained but she a fighter and im asking God to deliver and im praying for everyone that fighting this thing called cancer. I also want to keep him in prayer as well . Thanks

April 30, 2011 at 01:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Elizabeth

My husband has cancer, and discovered it only a month after his mother passed away. All the emotions are there, but fighting the cancer seems to numb the anger and saddness. I cried over news of natural disasters, but close to home it's been too difficult to cry. t I find that I'm not interested in doing activities with friends. I also have health issues, but cancer victims sometimes get much more support, and I don't have time. Still, we laugh at comedies, hold hands, enjoy each other's company. I'm awed by the process of life and death, and finally, even though I am religious, I realize that I don't understand it, I find information in the Book of Job (can we pull leviathan out of the sea with a fish hook?), that there are just things that we will not be able to understand. It isn't O.K., but somehow I'm enjoying my time with my husband. I hope that things go better with you from now on.

April 30, 2011 at 02:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D

I was where you are emotionally for 10 years, long after my sister recovered. Then again, I was only a teenager at the time of her illness. Please try to get some emotional support or therapy. An hour a week might help. It is so much to process. I still need my comedy "fix" too. God bless.

April 30, 2011 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
  13. Elizabeth

To those who mentioned genetics and environment: Look at studies. One factor gives some risk, but if you have more than one factor, these don't add, they multiply. Worst case: genetic tendency x smoking x dust from sand or coal x polluted drinking water x polluted food x radioactive fallout worldwide... So, get the genetics tested, stop smoking, and for the rest, VOTE for people who won't kill your good neighbors. And tell the Senators right now not to pass the House bill that will wipe out the Clean Air and Clean Water acts.

April 30, 2011 at 02:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D

I agree. Medical research is very important, but we are SO behind Europe when it comes to banning of chemical substances. There are thousands of chemicals that are banned in Europe that are perfectly legal in the U.S. People need to become more politically aware. There are powerful lobbies in this country that would roll back all the gains we have made in environmental issues if there is no one to oppose them.

April 30, 2011 at 14:23 | Report abuse |
    • kasey

I'm sure DDT may have helped it along, but genetics is more likely the culprit (along with smoking). My mom's family lived on a farm where they doused everyone and everything with DDT to keep the mosquitos at bay. None of them (out of 9) have gotten cancer except my mother, who had a mild form of colo-rectal cancer in her 70s that was removed and has not reappeared (thank God). More genetic studies need to be conducted.

May 1, 2011 at 21:56 | Report abuse |
  14. michael

As the son of a breast cancer survivor, and the carrier of the Brca gene, as well as the father of three, I can tell you that you absolutely must undergo genetic testing. All of my family members have survived their cancers: 2 prostate, 4 breast, 5 melanoma and 1 uterine, all through early detection and treatment . My goals now are early detection for myself but more importantly prevention for my children (1st daughter tested negative, 2 still to be tested).While the knowledge of a positive test result can be distressing , there's truly strength in knowing...

April 30, 2011 at 07:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Tejal

I go to a medical school in India, a lot of women here die from breast cancer because talking about their breasts is sort of a taboo. We have an organization on campus that raises money for various surgeries and treatments for people who aren't fortunate enough to be able to pay for it. Last year we raise 60,000 rupees [roughly around $1,333] from a bake sale and a few outside donations for breast cancer. Fighting for a cure all around the world :)

April 30, 2011 at 10:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Lane

Vegans almost never get the common forms of cancer we get in the U.S., and a number of cancer patients have healed themselves by going on a low fat, plant-based diet. Read "The China Study" by T. Colin Campbell and "Healthy at 100" by John Robbins. The easiest way to deal with cancer is by having a healthy immune system that will destroy cancer cells before they form tumors. You body can't do that on a diet based on animal proteins.

April 30, 2011 at 12:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • D

Sorry but that's hogwash. My sister had cancer TWICE after she was a vegan for many years. DON"T BLAME THE VICTIMS!!!

April 30, 2011 at 14:28 | Report abuse |
    • D

Also, don't overdo on the soy products either. They can be dangerous.

April 30, 2011 at 14:31 | Report abuse |
    • kasey

Sorry, Lane, but Vegans have just as many issues with cancer as non-vegans. Get a reality check and stop giving these quacks your money. Have a nice free-range chicken leg instead.

May 1, 2011 at 22:04 | Report abuse |
    • cmh

So Lane, I got bone cancer (osteosarcoma) at the age of 18 because my parents feed me meat? Give me a break. I'm all for people being vegetarians or vegans if they want to but don't try to imply that my bone cancer was caused by meat. That's just dumb.

May 2, 2011 at 00:30 | Report abuse |
  17. KPG

I'm so sorry for your losses. Cancer is a terrible thing.
    Please use caution when assuming that your family's cancers are related to the environment. There are certainly factors that are unknown that can play a role in this, but there are also may "Cancer syndromes" – meaning that there are clusters of genetic mutations that run in families that cause a variety of types of cancer. For example, Lynch syndrome is characterized by colon cancer, but also places women at high risk for reproductive tract cancers. This is genetic as far as we know. Please continue to be screened appropriately, and encourage other members of your family to do the same – it is VERY likely that there is a genetic predisposition to cancers in your family.

April 30, 2011 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. melissa ann

this is so weird for me to read...my mothers name was penny always had the family days at her house was the eldest of 7 kids fought cancer for 5 years till her last day she was still wanted to get up out her bed and go this is so surreal to me

April 30, 2011 at 16:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Pamela

I can understand the loss that Marshall has with his sisters. I too lost a sister and two other family members to breast cancer. I took care of my sister for over 2 years until she died in my bedroom the day after her 46th birthday. Sometimes when bad things happen good can come from it. Seeing my sister suffer so badly I knew I had to do something to help these women. I already had a business make Pambra's the original bra liner. After the death of my sister I created two mastectomy styles to add comfort to these women’s lives. Today my company was a sponsor at our local Susan G Komen walk. We raised money that supports 13 counties in Arkansas for education, testing and sometimes surgeries. Had there not been a loss of my sister I don't know if I would have designed the mastectomy styles of if I would have chosen another charity to work with. The mastectomy styles are now being used in hospitals around the United States. Surgeons are sending their patients home with them on.

April 30, 2011 at 17:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Adnan

I'm so sorry for your loss. God bless and thank you for sharing your story.

April 30, 2011 at 22:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. sandi

marshall, I was diagnosed at age 47 of brain cancer at a time when my boys were going off to college and it was time for me to finally have time for myself: get a job, meet people etc. I went through chemo and radiation. I suffer every day and wonder why all this has happened to me. I always took very good care of myself. I have seizures now and am crippled because of the tumor. It is inoperable. I grieve deeply for the life I used to have. My thoughts are with you friend. We will never understand why these things happen.

April 30, 2011 at 22:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jill

I am so sorry for your losses...I wanted to acknowledge your sharing...Thank you...

May 1, 2011 at 08:02 | Report abuse |
    • kasey

I'll keep you in my prayers. Thank you for sharing your story.

May 1, 2011 at 22:06 | Report abuse |
  22. lolasmama

Very sad. So much sadness, suffering and loss for one family. I hope there is no more tragedy for this family.

May 1, 2011 at 01:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. male breast cancer

My friend's been diagnosed with cancer, and it is a very scary time for her, and her friends and family. Blogs like yours give us a chance to find out more about cancer, so that we can help her and her family through this very difficult period. Thank you and God Bless!

May 1, 2011 at 01:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. male breast cancer

My friend has been diagnosed with cancer, and it is a very scary time for her, and her friends and family. Blogs like yours give us a chance to find out more about cancer, so that we can help her and her family through this very difficult period. Thank you and God Bless!

May 1, 2011 at 01:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Ituri

OMG... thats terribly sad, I just can't imagine how horrifying that must have been. My brother died a few years ago, not to cancer, but I just can't envision 3 siblings and a parent going all in one gigantic span.

Gotta say, life is so precious... I'm rather an atheist, but that just makes life MORE precious, since its so fleeting.

Keep on going. Your sisters had good lives, up to the end. Their experiences live on through your memory, and through the rest of your family. Stay strong, and live a good life. Thats all ANY of us can do. ^_^

May 1, 2011 at 03:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Jeri

I am deeply touched by this article because cancer to has impacted my family on both sides. My father had prostate cancer survivor, along with his brother, his sister recently battled lung cancer, and their mother had both breast and blood cancer which she lost her battle when I was 10. My mother's mother had breast cancer twice but led to her demise in 2003. I am deeply touched by this article because I am a resident of Prince George's County, MD. Cancer impacts us all and it has no color boundaries, class, or ethnicity. I pray for your mental health, I could only imagine.

May 1, 2011 at 08:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Allen N Wollscheidt

An answer - an actual cure or preventative - can be found. . It just sits there quietly, waiting for us to find it. . Such is the awful curse of our existence : We are given troubles, but we are also given brains - However, we have yet to sufficiently conquer greed in order to properly apportion our limited resources in a humane fashion.

No one should live in splendor until this curse is eliminated.

Brains are without effect unless applied ! ! !

May 1, 2011 at 10:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Marshall Moneymaker

Thank you all for the kind words and great information! To all who have posted whose lives have been touched by cancer (of any kind) I applaude you for your courage and your support of loved ones! We must continue to support, any way possible, those who have to fight the horrible disease of cancer until a cure can be found! Thanks again!

May 1, 2011 at 22:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dominick Antonino

Marshall, i am deeply sorry for your loss. Breast Cancer has also affected my family. 2 sisters-in-law battled BC and my wife was told she had a 70% chance of getting it within 5 years, so she opted for a preventative mastectomy. i agree with you regarding early detection, it saved both sisters. please know that, sometimes, out of tragedy, comes some good. my niece and nephew, both my god-children, started their own charitable foundation. they wanted to help women and their families in our town who were affected by BC. we soon came to learn that these courageous women selflessly wanted more for their familes than themselves. we have helped women with everything from wigs and prosthetics to things like living expenses, utility bills, car repair bills, gas cards, everday real-time crisis items. our mission is to help women and their families deal with financial, emotional, and spirtual issues, so they can focus on healing and getting better. how can you possibly focus on getting better if you're worried about heat for your kids?? Christmas presents for your child? or gas money so you can get to chemo? these are the things we try and help with. a big part of our mission is also encouraging women to do breast self-exams. early detection is key. both of my sisters-in-law found their own lumps....
      Marshall, please know that there is some good coming out of something bad....check out our website: http://www.breastfriendsforever.org

May 2, 2011 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
  29. danielle

If I knew a way to save my mom from breast cancer 12 years ago I would have done it. If I knew a way to save my aunt from breast cancer 14 years ago I would have done it. 2010 I found that herb that is the miracle for all with cancer the government has done research check pubmed website Ganoderma Lucidum it is a mushroom with the answer. I stumbled on it with a coffee business I do and the herb in the product is Ganoderma. It is a beast. I remember watching Oprah not to long ago and Pam Grier was on their saying she had Stage 4 cancer and her doctor sent her to chinatown to get an herb. Now she is cancer free. Never give up on yourself I am a distributor of this miracle herb Ganoderma go to my website and read about it and google it and go to pubmed what do you have to lose but your loved ones. I probaby can't put my website on here but I try http://www.mycupofjoe.com

May 1, 2011 at 23:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. J.

I am a survivor! My Mother and Father were not. This is indeed a horrible disease. Even IF you survive it will take a toll on you. Yes the China study is very interesting and yes it may work. Alternative medicine may also work for some. But, you should find a doctor that you trust and is willing to work with you no matter what treatment you decide to try. Try is the word, because not all treatments will work for everyone. Two friends we know had Gliobastomas one survived over 7 years and now is terminal and the other survived less than 3 years. Both had multiple surgeries and treatments. Everyone is different. I've been there and I know many that have been there some will only follow the doctor’s orders and others seek anything that may help them survive. I think no matter what kind of treatment one decide to do that it will be the best treatment for you. I would hope that everyone would try conventional treatment first then and IF that doesn't work try an alternative. Think about it, if one treatment doesn’t work . . . try another . . . never give up. Choose wisely.

May 2, 2011 at 00:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Zac

I can identify with having moments of anger and sadness. My father died due to cancer-related causes in November of 2010 at age 48. I have thought about cancer everday for the past ten years and I am now in medical school, trying to get the tools to help those diagnosed with cancer.

May 2, 2011 at 01:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. jen

Keep your head up,it will keep you strong, I lost my best guy to stomach cancer last summer,his memory keeps me happy.

May 2, 2011 at 07:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. jen

Keep your head up,I lost my best guy to stomach cancer last summer,his memory keep me happy.

May 2, 2011 at 07:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Buster Bloodvessel

My sympathies, but the pink jumpsuit totally matches the "broken mentally" headline. Snap out of it, dude.

May 2, 2011 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Lisa

Marshall – It was good seeing you this weekend at the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer in DC. Thanks for your support – looking forward to working Motocrew with you this fall as well.

May 2, 2011 at 09:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Amanda

Marshall – I was wondering who you were this past weekend at Avon! Loved the pink fire suit! I was on the green motorcycle. I know that you coming out and cheering on the walkers did wonders for them. Hope to see you at more events!

May 2, 2011 at 10:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Survivor1

Hello Marshall-

For those of you Marshall Basher's there, shame on you. I'd like to see you walk in his shoes. I too have had a large history of cancer in my family. The closest would to be that of my mother who passed in 2006 of Breast Cancer and in 2005 my brother of melnoma. Then I myself was diagnosed in 2010 with DCIS in my left breast. I will say that Thank God for those who supported me during my short stent as I since have had a double mastectomy. I tested negative for the BRCA gene which is still puzzling to me.
    With that being said I too have been broken mentally however it takes a fighter to keep on and Marshall has proven to be just that. A Fighter! Good Job and Hats off to you!

May 2, 2011 at 13:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Who's bashing? I say we should stage an intervention and get that pink suit off the poor guy. Take him to a sports bar or something.

May 2, 2011 at 14:47 | Report abuse |
  38. Geri

I am a strong believer that cancer runs iin families. On my father's side of the family there were uncles, cousins etc. who died from cancer, which included my father. However you never think of it happening to you, but it did. I am a fallopian tube cancer survivior and have been for six years. I guess my time just hadn't come. I am very careful about checkups and will continue to do so. I have walked in a cancer survivor's walk every year to raise money for cancer research. I don't want anyone to go thru what I did.

May 2, 2011 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. 2 aunts and a sister

I have two aunts who died of cancer and so did their sister in a span of six years. They all lead healthy farmer wive life's in NE. All were different cancers. I am the only one who has had cancer in my family of 26 cousins on both side. It is has been gone fifteen years . It was breast cancer and caught very early. The doctor said it would be very unlikely for me to have it again.

My husband got cancer 6 months after mine was gone. His was from smoking. He was lucky. He also is cancer free. After the sixth year his doctor said he didn't need to come in for any more check up. If he got cancer again it would be a different kind. Michael Douglas had the same kind of cancer.

Breast cancer does NOT have to be in your family for you to get it.

I am so sorry for you losses. It seems really incredible. Now is time to check out and watch the younger family members.

May 2, 2011 at 14:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Curt

ABC News reported on Vit D helps in cancer prevention. There is a YouTube video on this. Natural supplements with a healthy lifestyle could help people in prevention. However it take time to reverse the damage from all the years. You may know this already but it is worth looking into.

My mom had breast cancer and is in recovery / remission. My grandfather died of stomach cancer. I'm truly sorry for your. loss and my prayers are with you.

There is so much supporting research on natural supplements. Let us know if you would like more information.

Take care!
    Curt

May 3, 2011 at 00:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. nina786

so sad...........:( i've just lost someone also...the pain is still there....

indonesian's no.1 dating site

May 3, 2011 at 00:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Question RDA

Everyone should ask why are people in the United States sicker than those in the rest of the world. We have mineral deficiencies in our diet. Iodine and selenium have been proven to cure some diseases of the breast and possibly prostate.

Do your own research. Do NOT rely on the health care industry! They only want to make money off you, they don't want to heal you.

Get started here: