home
RSS
What the Yuck: Early C-section to avoid weight?
April 15th, 2011

What the Yuck: Early C-section to avoid weight?

Q: Is it true stars schedule their C-sections early so they don't get fat?

It is true, but I don't know how often it happens. And no matter the number who do or how fabulous the stars are, it's always a bad idea.

First of all, they're not saving themselves many pounds. Most of the weight you put on occurs earlier in the pregnancy. Toward your due date, you should only be gaining one or two pounds per week. In addition, this weight gain is very important - it helps ensure the healthy growth of the baby.

Second, recent studies show that delivering babies even as little as three weeks early can affect their health and learning abilities for the rest of their lives. Who would want to risk her baby's future to escape a few pounds of pregnancy weight? Plus, scheduling a C-section for convenience's sake is too risky for you and baby for lots of other reasons.

My bottom line: Anyone who has had a baby knows that the last few weeks are the worst in terms of physical discomfort (back pain, pelvic pressure, peeing all the time, heartburn), but it makes sense for your baby's health and yours to hang on to the end.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

« Previous entry
  1. TJ

Shame on anyone who has a C-section for cosmetic or convenience purposes.

April 15, 2011 at 18:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mei

I agree. Plus, having a c-section is NOT the easy way out. It is major surgery and requires a long recovery time. Women who think they are saving themselves something by having a c-section (without medical necessity) are kidding themselves. It is a very painful recovery and there are a lot of risks involved. Any sincere OB will tell you that.

April 16, 2011 at 21:33 | Report abuse |
    • Tracey

Forget celebs, doctors schedule them for "normal" women all the damn time for convenience. the DOCTOR's convenience.

April 17, 2011 at 19:31 | Report abuse |
    • lauren

How irresponsible!

April 17, 2011 at 21:22 | Report abuse |
  2. bsmed

Any M.D. that would do this is violating the hippocratic oath to "do no harm"

April 15, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • right @ bsmed

Yeah, and apparently you haven't been paying attention to the US's abysmal c/s rate. A whole lot more than a few OBs are performing unnecessary cesareans.

April 15, 2011 at 19:07 | Report abuse |
    • name required

@right

the reason for the high c-section rate is because of the EXTREMELY high rate of malpractice lawsuits. People expect their babies to be perfect and if not they sue. Malpractice insurance for OB/GYNs is four times more expensive than what your average GP pays.

April 15, 2011 at 23:05 | Report abuse |
    • docmike

The hippocratic oath also tells us to do no surgery! It's not a law and not everyone takes it. It's usually just part of some "White Coat Ceremony" that some medical students take.

April 16, 2011 at 08:43 | Report abuse |
    • Mei

"Any M.D. that would do this is violating the hippocratic oath to "do no harm""

This would also be true of abortion but there are docs out there who abort babies all the time and think nothing of it. Even before ultrasound technology, docs knew it was wrong.

April 16, 2011 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • me

@Mei- In the original Hippocratic oath doctors also made a pledge to not provide women with abortions.

April 16, 2011 at 21:44 | Report abuse |
    • Teri

@ right; yeah, there are a lot of c-sections. they came about because of a lot of malpractice lawsuits. Everyone can do everything right and juries will still find for the plaintiff on sympathy if they trot out a brain-injured baby; guess what? They're not all born perfect.. I can't imagine why any MD considers this specialty worth the risk; I wouldn't go near it as an RN.

April 17, 2011 at 04:04 | Report abuse |
  3. LEB

The early C-sections are to avoid skin stretching more than weight gain. Those last couple of months are brutal for getting stretched out, and the skin doesn't always go back to taut and smooth. Although I personally would never risk my baby's health by cutting her out of my womb early, celebrities literally make a living off of their looks. Having a baby is enough of a career risk as it is, but staying fat and flabby rather than going back to your former tight, smooth body is career suicide.

April 15, 2011 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lifeisgood

Then...get...a...new...job...

April 15, 2011 at 21:23 | Report abuse |
    • name required

celebs have abundant access to the best plastic surgeons in the world. Anyone who purposely has an early c-section for cosmetic reasons is guilty of child endangerment.

April 15, 2011 at 22:57 | Report abuse |
    • GaryO

Celebs may have access to the best plastic surgeons in the world, but not all plastic surgeries work out. Look at some of the celebs who got it. Not all of them look wonderful. Fact is that everyone heals differently and some people end up with poorer results than others. Also, some surgeons don't live up to their reputations. Look what happened to Michael Jackson. Doctors did that to his nose; not nature.

April 15, 2011 at 23:22 | Report abuse |
    • Fiona

Ridiculous, Leb. If a "celeb" is that worried about her looks, why not hire a surrogate to grow her child? Or take the Nicole Kidman route and adopt a couple disposable kids so you can wait until you're old to give birth to your own. (I notice that she's hired a surrogate for her second biological child, so I suppose the vanity is still there.)

April 16, 2011 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
    • me

Name Required: Legally speaking they aren't guilty of child endangerment because in our country a fetus isn't considered a child until they have been born and taken their first breath.

April 16, 2011 at 19:38 | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

Vanity also will not get you a job; it makes a terrible actor. Act natural. And, most actors have discovered this new invention called make-up. Nobody has to know about the stretch marks. The last few weeks don't make the stretch marks; that happens when the bump begins to show; but the stretch marks don't show up until after birth. Take vitamins, exercise, and use the right lotions after birth, and those stretch marks will go away.

April 17, 2011 at 01:02 | Report abuse |
    • Jess

It's terribly selfish to risk the health of a baby by having an early c-section...I am back to a six pack after delivering a huge baby at 40 weeks...no flab here!

April 17, 2011 at 13:35 | Report abuse |
  4. elizabeth

It's so hip to be "round" and have a "bump" until the baby comes and you are just plain ole FAT!! Stick with dogs, ladies. Kids suck!!

April 15, 2011 at 23:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Al

I am with you on that!

April 16, 2011 at 18:29 | Report abuse |
    • arlees

I LOVE my 3 kids (grown and out of the house), but in retrospect, it's dogs all the way. Kennel them when they're bad...no back talk...WAY less expensive and WAY more appreciative. As much of a pain in the ass as raising kids can be, though, I would walk through fire for each of mine, one after the other. If you can't make the sacrifice then don't have them. We have options these days.

April 17, 2011 at 09:29 | Report abuse |
    • Jess

I love my dog but she does not compare to my child...would never miss out on the experience...with enough training after the baby, your body will snap back to normal...i have a six pack 😉

April 17, 2011 at 13:39 | Report abuse |
  5. Dea

Most of the weight gained in the last few weeks is baby and prep for breast feeding. If stars are so worried about their weigh they need to breastfeed for the first few months, if not longer. Pride at the expense of a baby's health is stupid.

April 16, 2011 at 00:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Gabor47

As an OB-GYN physician I fully agree with the article. This new trend (not only among movie stars) is very bad. I lost some patients by refusing to perform a "for convenience C-section", but I won't allow my principles and medical knowledge yield to the money or popularity. C-section is a major surgery, despite the relatively low complication rate. (compared to the past).

April 16, 2011 at 07:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mei

Good for you! I think its noble that you do the right thing and don't give in to patients who want a c-section for convenience sake. You are absolutely right. A c-section is major surgery and very risky. Just because it is more common does not make it less of a risk to both mom and baby.

April 16, 2011 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
    • Elizabeth

My daughter was induced because she wasn't sleeping due to pain and sciatica, and there was some risk with endometriosis and a perforated uterus. The day she was induced, they determined that the baby was four days late anyway. But she was too exhausted from her pregnancy to dilate enough, and had to have a c-section, which worked out well. It was not a preventable c-section, because they found out that indeed, she still had the perforation. She was upset that she couldn't have the baby naturally, but was glad that he was healthy. I have heard of another woman whose doctor insisted in an early induction because he wanted to go on vacation; I think that is more common than the woman wanting an early c-section.

April 17, 2011 at 01:08 | Report abuse |
    • Dee

It's so good to hear this, thank you. I had SO much pressure from my OB to 'come on in early, why do you want to wait' when there was no medical indication (starting at 38 weeks). Glad to have delivered my healthy baby when he was ready.

April 17, 2011 at 22:01 | Report abuse |
  7. Stephanie

I was so sad when my doctor told me I had to have a c-section. It was something I didn't was to do. I wanted to give birth to my son like I was ment to, but it was too risky in my situation. Why people would WANT to do it is beyond me. It's a longer recovery and now you have a scar forever. :/

April 16, 2011 at 09:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sue

Why would anyone want to have a c-section? Because it's my body and my choice, that's why. As long as it's not affecting the baby, the mother should decide. I went through 24 hours of labor because my OB would not let me go right to a c section. I was a week OVERDUE and had to be induced. Turns out, my pelvis wasn't going to accommodate a 10.5 pound baby and the OB then had to do an emergency c section. Do you have any idea how hard it is to recover from a c section after going through that much hard labor? It would have been much easier if my Dr. would have listened to me from the beginning and just scheduled the darned c section.

April 16, 2011 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

Sue, the difference is you were overdue and yours was medically necessary. The article is talking about women who choose to have a C-section 3 weeks EARLY for the sake of convenience and vanity. And these early C-sections ARE affecting the babies.

April 16, 2011 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • kmcg

Sue, being one week over due is not appropriate to initiate an induction. Inductions often cause many pregnancy complications. If you had waited until the baby was ready and you were actually in labor, you probably would have been fine. You have a hormone called relaxen that loosens all your joints, and your pelvis is made of a lot of smaller bones (6) that all loosen so baby can wiggle out. When you are induced you get stuck in bed and then can't move around to wiggle.

Unfortunately doctors should know better but are too scared to change at the moment because a) its what they've always been doing and b) malpractice.

April 16, 2011 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
    • kdw31

kmcg- You're right that it is best to go into labour naturally, but there are risks that occur if you are to many days over due. The amount of amniotic fluid can decrease to dangerously low levels and the placenta can stop providing the necessary nutrients to the baby as it ages. From experience with friends in the US I think that doctors are to quick to perform inductions. However they are necessary at times and should be done after a certain number of days. We moved to Canada and friends who have had to be induced here are not induced until they are at least 10 days over due. This seems to be a good idea since the placental and amniotic problems are most likely to occur around when one is 2 weeks over due.

April 16, 2011 at 14:53 | Report abuse |
    • Sue

You're all missing my point. I wanted a c-section from the beginning. My doctor refused to give me one until she deemed it medically necessary. If a woman wants a c-section, it's her body and her choice. I could have saved myself 24 hours worth of intense pain had my doctor listened to me in the first place. And not every woman's body is the same. No matter how many hormones would have been released my pelvis is still too small.

Again, women should be able to choose her preferred method of birth. If that means a c-section, it doesn't matter what the reason is. Just do it safely.

April 16, 2011 at 19:13 | Report abuse |
    • Mei

Having dealt with several different OB's over the years, I know they all have different levels of training and skill regarding pregnancy and complications. One doctor might deem a c-section medically necessary in the case of a baby that is quite large (10 pounds for example). Another OB might, after exam of the mother, deem the situation fine for natural labor. It is based on their education and experience for the most part. Some doctors will consult with other doctors, which is great practice. If you are worried about your doctor's decision, ask for a second opinion on best method of delivery. I do agree that c-sections be done for medical necessity. Size of baby or health of the mom can be part of that.

April 16, 2011 at 21:42 | Report abuse |
    • Katie

Sue, I too was forced into enduring non-progressive labor. I'd already had a C-section with my first son, after three hours of pushing, he was stuck in the canal in the wrong position and went into distress and was delivered by emergency C-section with an apgar of 1. (He's fine, thank God and the pediatrician who was standing by.) The second time around they told me in no uncertain terms was I to even think about a c-section, despite the fact that this baby was bigger and never descended. I had forty-eight hours of pitocin-induced contractions but never went into transition. They were ready to start a third day of it when the doctor decided I'd had enough. Yes, some people abuse c-sections, but that doesn't mean all c-sections are bad. To this day I've had ignorant people tell me I took the lazy way out. They should have to go home four days after a second c-section after all that labor, and have to care for an infant and toddler – they'd change their minds in a hurry about my 'lazy way out.'

April 17, 2011 at 07:17 | Report abuse |
    • Pfirsich

@kmcg- Who are you to say that at a week overdue it was not time to induce Sue? You were not her doctor and with a baby at 10.5 lbs which I am sure what discovered through an US it was time for her to be induced. A baby's weight adds a whole nother set of complications into motion. A LOT of women can not deliver a baby at 10.5 lbs.

April 17, 2011 at 15:05 | Report abuse |
    • medstudent

@Sue: I am glad that you had a OB that actually was trying to do their job and give you proper medical advice. I am going through med school to help people, but I see this all the time when on rotations, patients think they know more about medicine than their doctors, just because they have access to internet or read some article. I don't understand why patients come to docs if they already know whats right for them. C-sections, even electives ones are really brutal, believe me I have been first assist on many c-sections and they cut through all your abdominal muscles, fascia and uterus to get the baby out. It is very convinent for the doc to schedule a C-section and even get paid more, so the fact that she insisted on you going through labor shows that she actually cares about you and your baby!
      10.5 lb baby is huge! Did you have gestational diabetes during your pregnancy?

April 17, 2011 at 22:47 | Report abuse |
  8. babymama

C/S were never supposed to be a cosmetic procedure. There are valid medical reasons to have one. To risk the health of your child, as well as your own, in some misguided attempt to spare weight gain is just insane.

April 16, 2011 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. wondering

There seem to be a lot more C sections done today than years ago – why? Does obesity have anything to do with it? I have a family member who is very overweight to begin with (don't OB/GYN docs advise losing weight prior to getting pregnant?) and she had a C-section for no apparent reason. All we could figure out to cause that was her weight issue.

April 16, 2011 at 12:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. momto3

I guess I am just old fashioned and not hip. I am stuck with the slim, but saggy body of a mom that delivered 3 babies the old fashioned way. My stomach will never look like it did before, especially after those 8 and 9 pound boys. Oh well, 40 yea-olds in bikinis look silly anyway.

April 16, 2011 at 12:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Health Teach

I too am very slim and fit but trust me on this, a crash c-section and two subsequent required ones later don't make you any more bikini worthy... On the other hand, I DO dream of a tummy-tuck from time to time!

April 17, 2011 at 08:46 | Report abuse |
    • arlees

Indeed, Momto3! I am also Mom to 3. Motherhood was my chosen career. The only people I need to impress are me and my husband, the man who would stare at me when I was 250lbs. (and not pregnant!) and say, "My God, you are so beautiful." Every stretch mark is a trophy to all I have accomplished. Every jiggle is a testament to the strength of my marriage. I'm 43, almost, and I still get 2nd looks from other men of all ages, even in my size 16 skin. Or so I am told. I never see them. To me the is only one man in the universe, 30 years and counting.

April 17, 2011 at 09:44 | Report abuse |
    • Josie

Jennifer Aniston looks fantastic in a bikini and she's 43.

May 11, 2011 at 17:42 | Report abuse |
  11. kmcg

A healthy national C/S rate is about 15%, because that's how many are medically necessary. Below that number indicates a lack of medical resources, above that number indicates unnecessary operations. The US is at 30%+

It's sad. Late preterm birth is scary. Doctors estimates of due dates can easily be 3 weeks off. Just wait til you go into labor please!

April 16, 2011 at 12:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Lauren

Sometimes those last few weeks are what tip you over the edge in terms of getting stretch marks and loose belly skin, so that's probably what this is about, more than sparing a few pounds. So, I see the point but still think it's terrible.

April 16, 2011 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Claire

My daughter was born at 35 weeks and 6 pounds, and she spent 17 days in the NICU due to premature lungs. She is a healthy girl now, but we hated having to leave her at the hospital. Another mother at the hospital delivered a 34 week baby the same week and brought her child straight home. You just never know. Near-term is not the same thing as full-term, and a few extra pounds and stretch marks are worth it to ensure the best possible health for your child.

April 16, 2011 at 14:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Razia

This sure sounds to me like a medical malpractice insurance claim coming. Failure to diagnose a c section properly is one of the most common medical malpractice claims. (see http://www.equotemd.com/blog ) Whether the mother does this to lose weight or not will not matter if the baby has issues. In a litigious county the doctor will still lose. Sounds like a dangerous idea to me.
    razia

April 16, 2011 at 16:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Elizabeth

I could care less about it, but did anybody notice that the pregnant model in the picture has a large wart on her hand? I usually find that those who are so concerned about skin in one part of their bodies has a problem somewhere else.

April 17, 2011 at 01:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Amy

@Elizabeth – It is a vein, not a wart. She is a very veiny lady.

April 17, 2011 at 02:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Teri

@me; no, no such oath aimed @ fertiled eggs. Geez must you f*&king right to life dou@ebags insert you ignorance everywhere.

April 17, 2011 at 04:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • me

I'm really having a hard time understanding your drivel. I have made 2 responses to points that other people have made and never in either of my posts did I state my opinion on abortions. Nor will I state it for you. I was just responding to points that other people made.
      1) It is true that in the original hippocratic oath that doctors would make a pledge to not perform abortions, here is a quote from the original oath-I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy
      In this same oath they also pledged not to perform surgery. So, need an appendectomy??? Well you're SOL.

2) My second comment was related to people being guilty of child endangerment for having a csection. My comment was not a reflection on my personal feelings about when a child becomes a child or when life begins. But, it is a fact that in this country a fetus is not considered a child until they have been born. Again this is not a reference to my opinion on abortion but just stating a fact about the laws in our country.

April 17, 2011 at 12:08 | Report abuse |
  18. anne

Who cares what celebrities are doing? Let's pay attention to our own business and our own bodies. It is definitely the woman's right to choose what to do with her body no matter who says what about it. I would have LOVED a c-section with me second child. The doctors screwed up on predicting what his weight would be at birth. I am five foot and weigh one hundred pounds (when not pregnant). There was no amount of relaxin in the world that was going to open me up enough for a nine pound baby. The result: He broke my pelvis and I couldn't walk or move my legs for two weeks. And I had a two year old at home to care for as well. Had I known how much he would weigh, I would have demanded a c-section and if the doc wouldn't do it, I would hunt down one who would.

April 17, 2011 at 08:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Abigail

Um...you should gain most of the weight at the beginning, and "only one or two pounds per week" towards the end? In a 38-week pregnancy? Hey, anyone want to hire a nice copy-editor? I'm available. I think the author meant "one or two pounds per month."

April 17, 2011 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. becca

the last weeks of pregnancy are critical for the baby's brain development. a c-section can be scheduled a week earlier than the due date but that's the earliest. this is for the health of mom if she has had a prior c-section incision.

April 17, 2011 at 11:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. BIHT

I think overall the majority of women would prefer to have their baby naturally and those who desire a c-section is small. I had two out of medical necessity (went onto labor naturally both times), its nothing I would choose or recommended. Based on some comments, I feel blessed to have the doctor I do. She is fantastic and listened to my desires and concerns about having a c-section. I remember telling her in the beginning of my first pregnancy that I have a "feeling" that I'll need a c-section but would prefer to wait it out while still keeping my baby safe. We discussed all the risks involved. When she told me it was time for a c-section, I knew I had done what I could to try naturally and was prepared. With my second pregnancy I had twins. After I found out, she asked if I had questions and I responded with twins answered my only question. She laughed (good natured) and said a v-bac was definitely out of the question. Doctors are in a tough place of not getting sued and bringing a healthy baby into the world. I feel for them, but at the same time patients and doctors need communication.

April 17, 2011 at 13:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Staceyann C. Dolenti

I can't imagine any mother doing this to save a few pounds.... I mean a lifetime of possible complications for your child would never be worth that.

Staceyann C. Dolenti

April 17, 2011 at 16:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. chuchingirl

i think this is one of the most horrifying things someone can do to their child!!!!!.....in the first place, if you don't want to get fat, don't get pregnant......second, what kind of OBGYN would do something like this????....i'm sure the pediatrician would throw a fit plus the insurance company wouldn't pay for any of it......and, if you are thinking of doing this nonsense, i suggest you visit any NICU (neonatal intensive care unit) and see all the bad things that can happen to your child, even if it's 2 weeks early; the risks increases as less time is spent inside the womb and with lower birth weight.......the thought of someone being so vain makes me really angry!

April 17, 2011 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Mom to Two

I requested a C-Section with my first child. I had some medical issues in the past that may or may not have prevented me from having more children if I delivered naturally. That being said I do know that it is against doctor rules (not sure if they are laws or what) to schedule a C-Section further out than one week prior to the patients due date. I scheduled for one day prior to my due date because I wanted the baby in there as long as possible. So these doctors that are scheduling three weeks prior to a due date are breaking the rules of their profession. I also had a C-Section with my second, again my choice, and I waited until two weeks past the due date to do so. A woman knows her body, at least I know mine and in both cases my doctors (2 different docs) told me had I not elected to have the C-Section, I would have had one anyway. My first was way too big and the placenta was too close and my second had no intentions of coming out without intervention and was turned backwards at the end. It was my choice and it was the right choice, but I didn't do it for vanity, those that do it for vanity shouldn't get pregnant, there are MANY other ways to have children.

April 17, 2011 at 16:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Anna

Let's get honest. Women are going to do what they want to with their bodies. Is having a c-section early because the mother wants to avoid stretch marks, weight, whatever her cosmetic excuse is okay? No, but she's going to do it anyway. Get over it.

April 17, 2011 at 18:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Anna

@Abigail – no, it's one to two pounds per week.

April 17, 2011 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. camz

@Abigail - the writer said it right. one to two pounds per/week but that's only towards the end of your third trimester (around 7-9 months of being pregnant).

C-sections have possible complications and as a doctor, you have to make sure that what you are doing is medically appropriate for your patient.

April 17, 2011 at 19:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. SEL

OMG people, seriously? Exactly what evidence is there that any celebrity has done this? Name one and tell me how you got this information? Oh, wait. You can't. There is no evidence that women are doing this, famous or not. This is just another BS article attacking women.

April 17, 2011 at 20:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Anna

@arlees You are 43 and been married for 30 years?

April 18, 2011 at 00:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. GWinAZ

@SUE @KATIE

I hear ya! C-sections are NOT the "easy way out". I too had the joy of being in unproductive labor for 24hrs before being scheduled for an emergency c-section. The surgery nearly killed me but my daughter was too big for me to have delivered naturally as well. I just wish we could've skipped labor and moved onto the pain and suffering of recovery while I still had some strength left.

April 18, 2011 at 06:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Mel

April 18, 2011 at 08:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. nancheska

I wouldn't get a C-section unless I absolutely had to, and the baby's well-being were jeopardized unless a C-section was performed. It's ironic that one of my grandmas died after giving birth; she was someone who really needed to have a C-section done (but that was a looooong time ago; things have changed a lot).

May 3, 2011 at 17:27 | Report abuse | Reply