home
RSS
Sharp debate on circumcision
April 15th, 2011

Sharp debate on circumcision

The comments on this week’s Empowered Patient article about circumcision demonstrate that  men have strong feelings about their penises.

“Why would I want someone to cut some of the most important part of me?” asked Noble9, a reader who like other “intactivists” is against circumcision.

Other men, however, felt otherwise.

“Frank, you are crazy,” wrote Daniel1999, addressing the man in our story who feels he’d have better sex if his foreskin were intact and therefore rues the day his parents had him snipped.

“I am 60 years old and had a circumcision 12 years ago,” the reader continued. “It was the best decision of my life….Believe me it feels much better having sex.”

“Frank is no more crazy than the next person,” retorted mrequality. “You CHOSE to have your foreskin removed as an adult…Newborn babies, however, do not.”

The reader went on to note that while most Americans are circumcised, in other parts of the world that’s not the case. The World Health Organization, which keeps such statistics, says 30% of the world’s males aged 15 years or older are circumcised. Of these, around

Two thirds are Muslims living mainly in Asia, the Middle East and North Africa, 0.8% are Jewish, and 13% are non-Muslim and non-Jewish men living in the United States.

1. Bill

So this is an article featuring comments from another article? Why don't we just stick with the comments in the first article? Not to mention I hate the format of these specific types of boards, it's not as good as the original. Oh CNN...

April 15, 2011 at 16:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. gphx

This is a purely cosmetic procedure and a small number of male children die every year from complications. Even a small number is too many. What's next? Giving baby girls boob jobs? I don't think so.

April 16, 2011 at 05:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Sci0n

The original article wouldn't have been so bad if it didn't contain such outdated information on STDs, there are a lot of new studies out there about HPV and HIV/AIDs that say the 4-skin has nothing to do contracting them, and taking it off does nothing in preventing them, Oxford medical just published this year even! They show new stats on HPV being just as prevalent in circ'ed men than in men that aren't, I just can't figure out why the American Media is reporting old outdated studies, the HIV African study is a perfect example of faulty reporting; three Jewish doctors on a crusade to prove that the 4-skin is bad... I mean really, no other medical organization in the world took that study seriously other then the WHO whom was paid off to do so (and it wasn't the first time the WHO did something like that) so yea, come on CNN, lets get cracking on some real reporting, what happened to "keeping it honest"

April 16, 2011 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ron Low

Foreskin feels REALLY good. HIS body, HIS decision.

April 16, 2011 at 21:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Roxanne

Men deserve the right to make decisions about their own bodies.
    It is not the parent's right to alter the healthy non-defective genitalia of their children.
    (those with ambiguous genitalia should also have the right to make decisions about their own genitalia)

The foreskin is not a birth defect. If a man wants it done for it's perceived benefits then he can make the decision.

April 17, 2011 at 08:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. marc

I wish my parents hadn't decided to interfere with my basic design. My body, my decision – parents it is my decision. If it is part of my religion then I will decide when I am confirmed, Bar Mitzvahed (sp) or etc. If it is medical I will decide when I am an adult. My body and like women say – when I say NO, I mean NO. Let your boys decide for themselves. Not your body.

April 17, 2011 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Steve

Nature made man having a foreskin, if you believe in God, he created you having a foreskin.

It is therfore against nature or God to disfigure yourself. Cutting the head from the body is blasphemy.

April 17, 2011 at 18:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brian

Nature/God created cancer...so when you get one I hope you don't try and get it "removed" in the early stages before it is malignant...because that is ruining god's image. He wants you to have that cancer...and die.

April 30, 2011 at 09:23 | Report abuse |
  8. Jujubeans

I'm glad I have a nice clean "helmet"

April 18, 2011 at 11:22 | Report abuse | Reply