home
RSS
April 13th, 2011

Human Factor: Ron Artest says, 'I'm an example'

In the Human Factor, we profile inspiring figures who've confronted a challenge, tapped their inner strength and found resilience they didn’t know they possessed.   This week Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta talks to LA Lakers forward Ron Artest, who became notorious for storming  the stands in pursuit of a fan. Today he champions counseling, saying more people need access to mental health care.

These days, Artest has been busy raising money and awareness for mental health programs.  Artest said that even though he does not have a mental illness, he has taken up this advocacy because it is in many ways personal to him.

“At the age of six years old, I had anger management problems,” he said. “There was a lot of frustration and tension in my household. And as I got older, I'm like, man, I'm always mad for some reason.”

Artest has been able to gain better control of his emotions due to therapy sessions. When the Lakers won the NBA finals, he thanked his psychologist for all her help, on live television. Artest said that he wants his experience to be a beacon of hope for those who are struggling with their own mental problems.

“I'm still not perfect,” he said. “I'm no longer a statistic, I'm an example. I'm a solution and I'm trying to be a role model.”

Filed under: Human Factor • Mental Health

1. ba ny

Wow what an article. if there was more then a summary of what should be there. way to go cnn

April 13, 2011 at 08:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. shut up ba ny

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK if you feel you are wasting your time. STop being so negative all the time and try being a happy human being you pathetic loser

April 13, 2011 at 09:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • HAHALOL

Haha, if the link said "half written story" I wouldn't have clicked it...I too was looking for an article and was duped into arriving at this travesty.

April 13, 2011 at 16:32 | Report abuse |
  3. John

How's ba ny supposed to stop being negative while being called a pathetic loser.

April 13, 2011 at 09:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. spencer

@shut up ba ny – oh snap, John has a point. Plus, ba ny had a point, where is the article?

April 13, 2011 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Toshin

Kids, behave before I beat all of you up (see name). The video was suppose to be the article. CNN has decided why write in detail what the video was about with explinations that might have not been hit on and include back ground story, when we can just take a video that we already made and write only one paragraph?

April 13, 2011 at 10:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Tom

"An example of what I have no idea." -Rodney Dangerfield

April 13, 2011 at 10:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Joyous

Ron Artest, is not a role model..... He is a bikini model.

April 13, 2011 at 11:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Shiva

A picture is worth a million words. But a lengthy video without a summary is not worth. There is a point in that. A 2 line summary underneath is what was all needed.

April 13, 2011 at 11:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jake

Does anybody really care about Ron Artest? I checked just in the unlikely event that there was anything of interest or even slightly indicating that he is an example. Nothing of interest, though I do think he has potential to be a good example of a self absorbed, mediocre athlete that exhibits odd behavior and is boring. That's about it.

April 13, 2011 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Captain_Colossal

The Lakers are hopeless this postseason with Bynum out HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D

April 13, 2011 at 15:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Highker

I am no fan of athletes but this guy, like Tiger Woods, has the maturity and strength of character to admit that his behavior was out of control AND is getting the help he needs. I also applaud his stating that he DOES NOT have a mental illness and yet, is still benefitting from psychotherapy. Furthermore, he is putting his money where his mouth is and increasing kids' access to mental health services. Mr.Artest, you have my respect, sir.

April 13, 2011 at 19:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Hone

Magnificent, Ron Artest! What RA is doing with this is fantastic. No bull, just a flawed (aren't we all?) guy doing what he can to address a very, very serious issue in society today. My hat's off to the guy. Fantastic, Ron. You're doing a great, great thing!

April 13, 2011 at 23:46 | Report abuse | Reply