home
RSS
Female infidelity: It's different from the guys
April 7th, 2011

Female infidelity: It's different from the guys

Ian Kerner, a sexuality counselor and New York Times best-selling author, blogs about sex on Thursdays on The Chart. Read more from him at his website, GoodInBed.

In a committed relationship nothing hurts more, or is harder to recover from, than infidelity, and this is even truer when it’s the female partner who’s been doing the cheating.  In recent years I’ve noticed a precipitous rise in the number of men who have been betrayed by adultery, and while there’s an overall consensus among professionals that female infidelity is on the rise, the trend doesn’t garner nearly as much attention as male infidelity  That’s surprising, because female infidelity is often much more damaging to a marriage. Don’t get me wrong: Male cheating is definitely harmful. But when a woman fools around, it’s often the death knell to a couple’s relationship.

It's often said that men cheat for sex, while women cheat for love, the theory being that men can more easily compartmentalize sex and emotion, while women typically need to experience an emotional connection to a person before feeling sexual desire. Without those pesky emotions to stand in the way of a potential mistake, a guy is much more likely to get himself into trouble (especially if alcohol is involved and inhibitions are down) or to get involved with someone for whom he has no feelings.

That’s not to say that men don't cheat  because they're unhappy, in search of an emotional connection or simply bored in their relationship (a topic we’re currently analyzing at Good in Bed), but  many of the men I've encountered who have cheated on their wives often have no desire to leave their primary relationship. Many of them even characterize themselves as happily married with satisfying sex lives.

That’s one of the reasons there's often a better chance that a couple will stay together and try to work things out when it’s the man who’s doing the cheating, rather than the woman. For men, cheating often tends to be opportunistic—they’re in the wrong place at the wrong time and the cheating doesn’t necessarily mean anything emotionally—whereas with women the desire to cheat is often less opportunistic and more deeply felt.  It’s often more a matter of the heart than of the genitals. Sure, some women cheat for the sex, but many also cheat for another chance at love, or to confirm to themselves that their primary relationship is really over. A woman who cheats is often a woman who doesn't want to work it out. She's already invested time trying to work it out, and she's done. It's too late.

While there aren't any hard statistics on female infidelity, most experts agree that it's on the rise, especially among women who have their own careers and a degree of financial independence. A University of Washington study found that people who earned $75,000 or more per year were 1.5 times more likely to have had extramarital sex than those earning less than $30,000. And with so many women in the workplace, it’s no surprise that  among the spouses who cheated, 46 percent of women and 62 percent of men did so with someone they met through work.

Another big factor in the rise in female infidelity is the Internet. Sexual infidelity often starts with emotional infidelity, and digital technologies offer an abundance of opportunity for emotional (and thrilling) connections: The return of an ex, a workplace flirtation, a Facebook friendship that becomes more than "just friends."  Women are extremely susceptible to “emotional infidelity,” which starts as friendship, often with colleagues or seemingly harmless online relationships, and slowly progresses to something more. A gradual blurring of the lines between friendship and deeper intimacy draws even happily partnered people into relationships they never saw coming.

So what are some of the signs that a woman could be cheating or thinking about it?

–         She shows less general interest in her partner's comings and goings

–         She dresses up for work, but seems to care less about whether her partner finds her attractive

–         She has less interest in sex with her partner

–         She's keeping an irregular schedule and spending more time at work

–         She seems happy, except when she's around her partner

–         She shows less tolerance of her partner's friends and family

–         There are unresolved issues in the relationship that have either been ignored or not resolved in a way that's satisfying to her

–         She's in a child-centric marriage that prioritizes parenting and neglects a couple's relationship, with few opportunities for romance and alone time

Guys, think your wife would never cheat? Think again. When men get angry about something, they tend to lash out, but women often self-silence and bottle up their emotions. As Helen E. Fisher, research professor of anthropology at Rutgers University, says, "Men want to think women don't cheat, and women want men to think they don't cheat, and therefore the sexes have been playing a little psychological game with each other."  Maybe this isn’t so much a game as a reflection of the double standard and culture of forgiveness that favors men—“boys will be boys,” as the adage goes—when they cheat. But as we’re learning, cheating is an equal opportunity sport, one that women are just as likely as men to play.

« Previous entry
soundoff (2,116 Responses)
  1. Laura

Great article, I thought my husband was just feeling insecure when he would just be on his phone at odd hours, until I decided to take my chances to know, knowing is much better than self doubts and its exactly what happened when I requested for the service of one of the best hacker cyberhack005 AT gmail com to help me check his phone. Now i know when he tells the truth because I receive all his calls, outgoing and incoming, see his whatsapp messages, facebooks, emails. I think its the best way to eliminate self doubt and I found out that I guess right Now I have access to his phone remotely anything that goes in and out of his phone is exactly what goes in and out of my phone. I see everything, i hear everything,thanks to cyber hack.

December 29, 2017 at 06:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. sherrue

i was so heartbroken butafter 3 days of contacting greatmutaba@gmail. com, my lover came.

December 30, 2017 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. lupe

Me and my husband was apart for 2 years he broke up with me and left me and the children I was totally heart broken till I meant (greatmutaba@gmail. com) he cast a love spell that return my husband back to me

January 6, 2018 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Christie Waters

Thanks so much Dr. Todd for your guidance and sweet caring spirit. Even we who are gifted occasionally get stuck and need a neutral perspective to gain more clarity. I will continue to call you whenever I get derailed. Blessings you! e-mail: manifestspellcast@gmail. com

January 16, 2018 at 17:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. SelenaA09

I was in total despair when I found Dr. Todd. My life was going terrible and I didn't know if I was coming or going. I had just gone through a rough divorce, wasn't making enough money to sustain me and my children, and my 17 year old son had just gone to jail for the first time. When I talked to him, I immediately found a sense of peace. He was very honest with me and I could feel that. He also told me that everything would be okay. After my work began, things began to change. My bills were all caught up, the relationship I was in became much stronger, I was never FLAT broke, and my son was released from jail earlier than we expected!! I also completely got over the failed marriage and began to move on. And, received a better position at my job which will cause an $800 per month increase!! I felt completely comfortable with the work that was being done because I was always encouraged by Dr. Todd. manifestspellcast At gmail DOT com is the BEST!!!!

January 31, 2018 at 17:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Happy

How To Get Your Girlfriend Back After Cheating On You With Another Guy Urgent Genuine Love spell With 100% Guarantee On Happylovespell2@gmail.com..

February 6, 2018 at 22:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Tommy

Find out if your partner/spouse is cheating on you or having a secret love affair outside, hack any mobile phone, email hack, social media hack or any other type of hack you could possibly think of done with the help of CERTIFIEDHACKER4REAL at Gmail dot Com, he is a professional and certified hacker, a genius at what he does, he helped me unravel and got all the facts I needed to prove my partner had been cheating on me all along for a long while even before and during our divorce cases. Contact him if you need any of the above listed services or any other related service.

February 7, 2018 at 17:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ndnf

Contact greatmutaba@gmail. com if you want your ex love back

February 17, 2018 at 15:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ammmlimited@gmail.com

We give you loan with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 30 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecured). Do not keep your financial problems to yourself in order for you not to be debt master or financial stress up, which is why you must contact us quickly for a solution to your financial problems. It will be a great joy to us when you are financially stable Email ammmlimited@gmail.com

NOTE:Bear in mind that it will only take less than 24 Hours to process your file is 100% Guaranteed no matter your Credit Score.

Yours Sincerely,
    Dr. García Álvarez
    Phone Contact: +1 (614)929-7911
    Email: ammmlimited@gmail.com

February 18, 2018 at 20:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Crystal Jos

It's good to appriciate those who brough joy and happiness into our lives. My husband left me for a younger woman and I was devastated. It was as if she had him under an evil spell, Paul turned against me overnight without any warning. It happened last year, I was desperate so I used every single spell casting website that I could find with no results. A friend sent me the link to Dr. Tokubo site and I contacted him two months ago. He started working with me on October. As a result from all of his wonderful work, my man and I are back together. I’m so happy and privileged to have such a great person like you on my side. Thank you! e-mail: highpriesttokubo@ gmail. com

February 19, 2018 at 06:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Crystal Jos

FOR THOSE WHO REALLY WANT TO GET THEIR EX BACK AND SERIOUS ABOUT IT SHOULD SEARCH FOR THE BELLOW NAME ON GOOGLE SEARCH AND CONTACT HIM FOR HELP, AS SOON AS YOU SEARCH FOR HIS NAME YOU WILL SEE HIS SITE CLICK ON THE FIRST PAGE. HIS NAME IS,

PRIEST TOKUBO