home
RSS
Dad was motivation for entering the challenge
April 6th, 2011

Dad was motivation for entering the challenge

What is the one thing that you cannot change about yourself? Your family history. As I have said before, my family history is not great. Hypertension, diabetes, strokes are on both sides of the family.

On Tuesday, March 29, that family history reared its ugly head again. My father passed away from a heart attack. He was 73 years old. For years we have been trying to get him to change some of his ways and begin to become healthier. He always talked about having to get healthier, but his chronic diseases continued. Although he had multiple medical problems, the ending was unexpected. He died of a massive heart attack at his home in Minnesota. I always knew that this day was coming, but never expected it so soon.

Seeing my dad and his worsening medical conditions was part of the motivation to enter the CNN Fit Nation Challenge. I saw how his weight, heart problems and diabetes affected his lifestyle and his ability and willingness to be more active. I knew that if I continued on the same path I was looking at what my life would be like in 25-30 years.

Although I don’t want to end up like my dad was physically, I want to be exactly like him as a man. He was hard working, loved by everyone, always willing to help others, a great father and excellent grandfather to my children. Besides his regular full time job, he dedicated over 40 years to officiating sports- softball, volleyball, basketball and flag football. He coached me and my brothers for years of basketball, soccer and baseball. He was an athlete in his younger days and continued to play softball for many of his adult years. He spent most of his free time devoted to sports and fair play.

In the comments of my CNN bio, he had words of encouragement and said that maybe I could show him some of my exercises. Unfortunately, I did not get an opportunity to do that. I will miss my father dearly, but value the time that we had together. Although he did not set a good example from a health and fitness standpoint, he set a great example on how to be a man. Thanks Dad.

1. f

It's always so sad to hear about someone who died because they did not take care of themselves and follow doctors orders, even when they knew they should have and had the mental and physical capacity to do so.

April 7, 2011 at 13:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. f

Prayers for your father and your family. My dad died too early also of cancer. He was only sick for 6 months, so that was a shocker. My dad sounds like yours. Hardworking, full time job, part time job to provide for us in hard times, Boy Scout leader for many years. I miss him still. He died 14 years ago, just after his 1st grandchild (my son) was born. He would have been the greatest grampa.

April 7, 2011 at 13:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. TriHardJoaquin

I lost my dad 14 years ago today and I still miss him everyday. Scott, I know how you feel and there's no doubt in my mind that your dad will be with you every step of the way. See you soon teammate.

April 7, 2011 at 17:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. TriHardNina

Scott, what a wonderful tribute to your father! Despite his health problems, he clearly lived life to his fullest and he made the world around him a better place. I know he was very proud of you. Know that you have a team full of new friends who will help you honor his memory in NYC!!!

April 7, 2011 at 21:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Mireya

I enjoyed reading about your love for your father and how much you treasure his hardwork and the many hours he devoted to you and your family. I am also glad that you are taking steps to keep yourself healthy and it is a reminder that I should follow on your steps to healthy habits. If you aren't already a grandpa, I am sure you will be a good one since you learned from the best. Hoping all those happy memories of your father can keep you company at such an emotional time. Glad you had a great dad!

April 8, 2011 at 00:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Arteriovenous

I really enjoyed it by reading you are talking about love for your father and i am totally agree with.
    Thank you for post..

April 8, 2011 at 03:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Arteriovenous

Thank you for post..Arteriovenous

April 8, 2011 at 03:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. priscilla

Priscilla

My husband left many months ago but we still kept in contact until a Facebook posting. Contact was completely cut off and supposedly he had filed for divorce. I found and learned what it was to stand for your marriage. I also learned how Dr greathope felt about divorce and I decided to stand firm on Dr greathope Word no matter what. I continued to pray for my husband and my marriage. Dr greathope has been and is my rock. I now thank Him and give Him the praise. My husband is no longer with the and we are on the road to healing and working out our marriage.Dr greathope can restore what we had before and better for His Kingdom.this is email address:greathopespell71@gmail.com

October 29, 2013 at 16:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. clara

Clara

My restoration process has begun!thank Dr greathope It was so suddenly, with no indication that it was coming. It's been many months of separation, but standing feels so worth it now. It was hard, but Dr greathope carried me through, and now He is fulfilling His promises. My husband has agreed to come back to the family together and told me he loves me all in a few hours. It is truly a miracle! At the beginning of our separation, Dr greathope gave me happiness.contact him via email address:greathopespell71@gmail.com

October 29, 2013 at 16:47 | Report abuse | Reply