home
RSS
What the Yuck: Could tequila make someone angry?
April 1st, 2011

What the Yuck: Could tequila make someone angry?

Q: I have friends who say, "Tequila makes me mean." Is it possible that liquor could make someone angry?
There's really nothing magical about tequila (it's not hallucinogenic, though those rumors persist). Alcohol in general depresses our inhibitions. That means we lose our usual self-control and say and do things we wouldn't normally do when sober. Some people believe we show our "true selves" when we drink too much, but all this really means is we lose our ability to rein ourselves in.

Without our usual inhibitions, some of us become very affectionate or sexual, while others may become a sad or an angry "mean drunk." Usually this behavior has nothing to do with the liquor, but is instead the bubbling up of anger that always existed but was subdued by sobriety.

Just my two cents: If someone declares herself a "mean drunk" I'd take her at her word and steer clear.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

1. nick

tequila = 2 kill ya

April 3, 2011 at 13:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. chefdugan

I never once heard of a mean grass smoker.

April 3, 2011 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Pumbaa

Tequila might taste ok in a mixed drink but to me from the bottle it tastes like some cheap moonshine liquor. Now good Irish whiskey is a smooth straight drink.

April 3, 2011 at 14:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Mike

"Don't ask her on a straight tequila night....she starts thinking about him and she's ready to fight...blames her broken heart on every man in sight, on a straight tequila night....". Some country music lyrics more accurate than you'd think....

April 3, 2011 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Kent Moreno - Burlington, WV

I strongly disagree with the article.

If I have more than 3 or 4 shots of tequila, I get mean. My wife will tell you the same thing about me.

I can drink any other type of alcohol without the same effect.

Perhaps it's not the alcohol but something about agave or how agave interacts with the alcohol.

Sorry Doc but I don't think you have all of the facts.

April 3, 2011 at 16:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Myron Fowler

I am exactly the same. Tequila not only puts me in a foul mood, but it's a one way ticket to the hangover express. Bourbon, on the other hand.....nothing. No hangover, just as fun loving as the next guy, the whole ball of wax.

April 4, 2011 at 17:44 | Report abuse |
  6. Captain_Colossal

jack daniels makes me AAAAAANGRY

April 3, 2011 at 19:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Mike in Madison

During Mifflin two years ago I got way out of control and started yelling at my friend, after several Jose Cuervo pulls. It was way out of character for me. This doctor totally sidesteps the real question, which is: do different kinds of alcohol have different effects?

April 4, 2011 at 02:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Adam

I agree. For such a 'smart' doctor; he totally missed the point of the question, and yes, I do believe there are other chemicals in tequila which interact with alcohol to produce slightly differing moods. I know for sure that I feel differently after taking a shot as opposed to a glass of wine or pitcher of beer.

April 4, 2011 at 14:43 | Report abuse |
  8. Dee

Well tequila makes me crazy, but nice happy, Whiskey on the other hand makes me mean!!!
    YES THERE HAS TO BE A DIFFERENCE!

April 4, 2011 at 09:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Masa D. Luffy

lolololol confirmation bias all over this comment page

April 4, 2011 at 20:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Stonr Man

Actually the OP seems to have all the facts. The reason you seem to become angry when you drink this certain type of alcohol is that you already mentally attribute that drink with anger. Once you are reasonably drunk and your inhibitions are lowered, slight annoyances become intensified. The drink is a subconscious justification for your actions.

August 24, 2012 at 18:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lina

I think I'm inclined to agree with the theory that certain spirits do not go over well with certain people. I, for example, can't drink whiskey. It, for whatever reason, does not bode well for my evening. Conversely, should I stick with my usual Captain and Coke or Patron, I'm perfectly fine.

October 8, 2012 at 02:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Cheree

I definitely know people who behave meaner when they drink tequila and nicer when they drink other forms of liquor. Maybe we haven’t discovered why but just by personal observation I don’t believe it’s as simple as all liquor alters inhibitions in the same way. Some forms seem to bring out the mean more than others.

July 5, 2018 at 17:34 | Report abuse | Reply