home
RSS
How puppy love can help your sex life
March 24th, 2011

How puppy love can help your sex life

Ian Kerner, a sexuality counselor and New York Times best-selling author, blogs about sex on Thursdays on The Chart. Read more from him at his website, GoodInBed.

After my dog - a curmudgeonly Jack Russell terrier named Houdini - passed away in 2008, I was sure that I wasn’t going to get another one anytime soon. Not only had Houdini’s death thrown me into an awful state of prolonged grief, but so much had changed since my single days when I had had the luxury of time and freedom, as well as a powerful unmet childhood need to have a dog of my own. But now I had a wife and two young kids (not to mention an elderly cat), and my primary unmet need was for more alone-time with my wife. As much as I loved dogs, I didn’t have the room in my home - or, I thought, in my heart - for another one.

But my wife didn’t agree. Eventually she decided it was time for us to expand our family, and we found ourselves walking home from our local shelter (the awe-inspiring Animal Haven), with a pit-bull puppy named Jitterbug, who had been abandoned in a box and left for dead in the middle of winter. (That's her in the photo.)

Now, a year later, Jitterbug has brought inestimable joy to our lives: Not only is she a constant source of amusement and tenderness - my older son, Owen (7), who was previously terrified of dogs, now writes “Jitterbug stories” in his free time and willfully solicits her sloppy kisses - but there have also been some unanticipated improvements, like in my relationship with my wife for example. What can I say? Things have gotten better since we’ve gotten the dog, and that includes our sex life.

How could a humble puppy help steam up things in the bedroom? I attribute this surprising increase in intimacy to a few factors:

1. Touch. Since getting a dog, the overall level of touch in my household has increased exponentially, and research shows that touch stimulates the production of oxytocin, a hormone that facilitates a sense of trust and connection. Women produce three to five times as much oxytocin as men, so Jitterbug helps get my oxytocin going. It may sound strange, but petting a dog is good foreplay.
  2. Positivity. A recent study in Japan found that a dog can tell whether a person is smiling  - a task that is difficult for monkeys and other intelligent animals. Maybe dogs can recognize smiles so well because they end up producing so many of them. At least that’s the case with Jitterbug: From leaping into the tub when my kids are getting bathed, to her Tasmanian devil-like “zoomies,” to running in fear from our four-pound elderly Persian cat, Jitterbug does a lot to induce a smile - and that’s good for my relationship with my wife. According to eminent relationship therapist and researcher John Gottman, “Those couples that succeed in their marriages enjoy an overriding proportion of positive over negative sentiment.” There’s no doubt that Jitterbug brings much of the former and helps clears out the latter.
  3. Exercise. On one hand, my walks with Jitterbug definitely take away from my gym time. On the other hand, I wasn’t going to the gym anyway, so walking a dog for 45 minutes every day is better than nothing! Study after study shows that exercise helps increase blood flow, which plays a big role in overall sexual health. As Tara Parker Pope reports in her health column this week for the New York Times, “Several studies now show that dogs can be powerful motivators to get people moving. Not only are dog owners more likely to take regular walks, but new research shows that dog walkers are more active over all than people who don’t have dogs.” Now if only I could get Jitterbug to join me on a run - but she prefers rough-housing at the dog run. And so do I, for that matter.
  4. Novelty. My walks with Jitterbug bring me into a world of new adventures - mainly meeting new people and their dogs. Studies show that humans are novelty-seeking creatures, and that newness drives the transmission of dopamine, a neurotransmitter that plays a key role in sexual arousal. When it comes to novelty a little goes a long way, and thanks to Jitterbug, there’s more dopamine flitting around my brain. And that makes me feel more interested in sex.

The idea of pet therapy and service dogs is nothing new, but the impact of pets on relationship satisfaction has yet to be adequately explored. Dr. Debby Herbenick of the Kinsey Institute says that the research team at The Center for Sexual Health Promotion is conducting a study about the sexual lives of women and men who live with dogs and cats. “Although there is a fair amount of research that has examined people’s sexual experiences after they have children,” says Herbenick, who is also a dog lover, “little is known about women’s and men’s sexual lives after they adopt a pet.”

Of course, the one thing that doesn’t help my sex life is Jitterbug’s desire to jump up on the bed and settle in right in between my wife and me. But in truth, even that brings us closer together - literally. If she didn’t jump up in the bed, Lisa and I might be more liable to stick to our sides of the bed, with magazines and laptops, and not let our fingers touch, share a smile, laugh, and kiss. Jitterbug helps us find our way to the middle of the bed and, like a little Cupid, she seems content to spend the rest of the night in her doggie bed.

1. Ney

Beautiful picture! Great article. Every dog my family had had a positive influence in us (even if it didn't seem like that at the time). It's good to see it explained so well.

March 24, 2011 at 13:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Grits

The more people I meet, the more i like dogs.

March 24, 2011 at 23:08 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

There is NOTHING WORSE in a family household than a pitbull. NOTHING.
      For HOW HORRIBLE AND EVIL can it be for a most accepting and willingfull dog be to a family!
      Why, the EVIL creature loves NOTHING more than the pleasure of the family it is a PART of!
      How horrific the face licking, should you permit it, be!

OK, the truth, there are TWO breeds in this universe I OUTRIGHT LOVE. The pitbull and the dutch shepherd. The former does my laundry, poorly, the later does my taxes, well. Well, according to the IRS agents...
      NEITHER has shown hostility to our children, unlike my parents French Poodle, who got a punch that'd knock Mike Tyson into last year when he TRIED to bit our first child.
      Meanwhile, the evil bit licked her until we ORDERED HER TO CEASE AND DESIST.
      After all, it was OUR job to clean our kid!
      Franky. I prefer toe company of dogs to humans. At least DOGS are honest.

March 25, 2011 at 01:58 | Report abuse |
    • duhddaly

Wzrd1......you talk mixed up way. Is Wzrd a gizzard?

March 25, 2011 at 02:42 | Report abuse |
    • collins61

@David55; Oh Shut up. I mean really, you feed the poor and this guy has a dog. Take your sanctimonious tirade and get out. The starving children have always been here and always will. Yes yes yes help all you can but you can do both. Now, shut your gruel hole and leave the way you came in.

March 25, 2011 at 08:44 | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

For the record...pits are a GREAT breed of dog (never owned one, but I am EDUCATED on the breed)...for the responsible, educated owner...no different than a horse, etc (particular animals you need to be educated on before you own) And this is why this breed is one of the best you could get if this is the type of dog you are looking for. You gotta know what you have before you own it. Too many people buy/get/steal (lol) a pit for the aesthetic purposes, which is REDICULOUS, and robs the dog of a wonderful life, too. Dogs are AWESOME...loyal companions, family friends, and is the best addition to any household. They want nothing more than to please you. You could beat a dog close to death and they would STILL be loyal to you and YOU would still be their #1...although you'd lose their TRUST. Anyone who can't like a dog-I don't like THEM! (got something wrong with you in my opinion)-and as some have already said...I like dogs more than most people! =)

March 25, 2011 at 09:22 | Report abuse |
  2. David in Corpus

I think people like animals more than other people cause they are easier to love. After all, when another person gets in your face you can't put them in the back yard. Can you imagine what a cat would probably say and in what tone if they could talk? "Open the door NOW slave!" or Get the fk up and feed me NOW btch!"
    I bet we wouldn't love them much anymore if they acted more like people.
    Probably explains why alot of people hate the homeless but send their money off to some dog from a story on the news that was mistreated or in an earthquake or somethin'.

March 24, 2011 at 13:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Valerie

That is not real love. That is love with conditions. "You make me feel good, therefore I like you"....anyone can do that. Love is also not a feeling, it is something we do, for no reason other than elevating another.

March 24, 2011 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

People don't donate to animal protection charities because they "hate the homeless". That's ridiculous.

I choose to donate to animal organizations more often that other charities because animals are unable to help themselves and far too often abused and victimized.

Personally, I donate $20 a month to ASPCA. Although it's not much, it's affordable. And when everyone donates a little it adds up to a lot. I can gladly sacrifice one night of eating out in a month or a trip to the movies to have that money go to the care and basic needs of a shelter god or kitty. I'm very thankfull I can help and I know my two shelter pups at home would be proud of me.

March 24, 2011 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
    • Lucy

Uhh... thats "dog", not "god".

Heheh.

March 24, 2011 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Lucy, you are right, every little bit helps when we donate money. If everyone waited to become millionaires to help others, things would NEVER get done! I agree with you, animals (and Children!) are innocent and defenseless.....they deserve all helps FIRST.

March 24, 2011 at 16:20 | Report abuse |
    • joey

You hit the nail on the head with what you wrote. But you know they well never agree with you. Pet lovers see animals as humans. There is nothing wrong with being a animal lover(if that's what you want). But they take it to far. Putting dog in strollers, kissing them in the mouth, Putting clothes on them. Saying they love them more than humans etc. They really take it to far. It's a pet.

March 24, 2011 at 23:51 | Report abuse |
    • Dave

I don't know, Valerie. There's no doubt in my mind I love my doggie. Not anything to do with the fact that she makes me happy. She's just good. To the very core of her being she is love and sweetness. There isn't much like that in the universe so it's special to be around and I love her for it. Doggies are good!!

March 25, 2011 at 00:17 | Report abuse |
    • David55

while its good that youre supporting animals, the fact that you do that instead of sedning 20$ a month to feed starving kids in africa or the homeless in america seems completely messed up to me.

I know you love dogs, but supporting dogs instead of supporting humans seems completely immoral. Its better to support dogs than not to support anything, but surely the life of one african child is worth thousands of dogs being put down (since no one wants to adopt them, which is usually why they are put down.) I would personally kill any number of dogs just to save one human. If dogs mean more to you than humans... you need some serious help.

March 25, 2011 at 01:25 | Report abuse |
    • Amit

I agree with Joey. I am somewhat of an animal lover, as I have had 2 dogs when I was growing up, and love to play with my friends' dogs or cats still. I would love to own a dog again some day, train it and treat it well. Yet, I am not into treating them above humans, especially friends and family. Also, would not want any "sloppy kisses", and keep them out of certain areas of the house, including kitchen and beds. Also, I want a respectable disciplined dog, who is a well trained and cared for animal in its natural form, not a pet poodle who has some ridiculous haircut or some dandy clothes and travels in a stroller...

But, hey, that's just me!

March 25, 2011 at 06:37 | Report abuse |
    • dre

@David...you are a joke

March 25, 2011 at 09:23 | Report abuse |
  3. Nana

I have two chihuahuas and a husband who travels for fun half the year (I stay home to be near the grandchild and because I am still working). Without my little ones, coming home would be a desolation indeed instead of an event of joyous tail-wagging and tender cuddles. They understand love better than any human I've known save perhaps for children. They love because they breathe and they remind me of the potential for that same love within me. I give it to my doggies and find it easier to give it to the humans in my life. Truly, I have no idea how people live without dogs. 🙂

March 24, 2011 at 14:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kdeangel

Sweet... 🙂

March 24, 2011 at 16:10 | Report abuse |
    • Joey

I live just fine. I don't know how people can live with pets. It just to much of a hassle. What kinda sense does walking behind a animal waiting for it to crap. Then picking it up in a bag and carry it with you. Come'on. Changing a baby is enough for me. I just don't get it with you animal people. Someone like me who is not a animal person is wrong in your eyes. Everyone is not into letting pets lay and sleep all over their house. Kissing them in the mouth, putting them in your car,etc, That's just nasty.

March 24, 2011 at 19:41 | Report abuse |
    • aletheia33

@joey:
      you sound young. i'm betting some day, for some reason, you'll find yourself owning a dog. then you'll discover why the messy parts are all worth it... just like with kids. and if you ever find yourself living alone, i hope you'll venture to enhance your life with the sweet companionship a dog brings.

March 24, 2011 at 22:47 | Report abuse |
    • joey

@aletheia33
      Ummm. To answer your question. I'm not young. And you sound lonely. LOL ("i'm betting some day, for some reason, you'll find yourself owning a dog. then you'll discover why the messy parts are all worth it... just like with kids.)" Wow you are putting animals on the same level as kids. And I (will "discover why the messy parts are worth it). LMAO. No thanks. I good with messy humans.

March 24, 2011 at 23:24 | Report abuse |
  4. CC Croft

"I sometimes secretly wonder if I might be the sort of person who loves dogs more than I love people, but when I stop to think about it, it’s not that I love dogs more. It’s that overall I love more when there’s a dog around."

Now that is true. 🙂 I lost my two dogs last year and now have a seven year old rescue. I do everything I can to make him smile as much as me makes me smile. Sometimes all it takes is noticing he has an itch and attempting to scratch it for him, getting his toy for him, giving him a treat just because I adore him.

He loves love and peanut butter and blankets and car rides. He jumps around like a dork with a doggy version of a grin on his face and he puts his paw on my knee and looks at me and I haven't even had him for six months yet, but I can't imagine life without him.

Life with a dog is exponentially better than life with no dog. I only had a couple of months of that and I felt awful.

March 24, 2011 at 14:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lola

Good, good, good for you for adopting an older dog! There are so many being abandoned or surrendered now because of financial problems, job loss, foreclosure.

March 24, 2011 at 22:36 | Report abuse |
  5. jillmarie

I grew up with dogs and now own a ragdoll cat. I'm not surprised they can recognize smiles. I agree with the above poster- there's nothing like getting a warm greeting from your furry family member after a long day. I don't know what I'd do if I never had pets!

March 24, 2011 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. CC Croft

@Nana – oh my goodness. After my two dogs passed away and before I got my new one...coming home was honestly something horrible. Both my mom and I couldn't stand it, so we'd do everything right after work and try to make sure we didn't have to walk in that door with no dog on the other side as little as possible. Even though my dog now is crated while we're at work, coming home is once again a joy.

March 24, 2011 at 14:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. doggie lover

I couldn't believe a world with out my furry friends. I would almost admit that I do love them more than I do love humans. They don't ask for much but to be loved. Always happy to see you. Never leave your side.

March 24, 2011 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. livingperson

my wife and I find that when you play with a puppy or small dog it takes away stress built up inside you..Ours makes us laugh while we are enjoying our time with the pet

March 24, 2011 at 16:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. mrPhillipKarnes

"The poodle biyites, the poodle chews it"

March 24, 2011 at 16:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Susan

When your PIT BULL attacks and kills another dog, or maims a child, or brutalizes an elderly person, you will realize what a mistake you made taking a killer into your home. Now all the PIT BULL owners can curse me, but statistics prove my point.

March 24, 2011 at 17:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • aaron

you're looking at the wrong stats. The most likely dog to get attacked by is a lab. the only thing about pits is that they have the potential to do more damage. my pit loves other dogs, even small ones. one of her best friends is a min pin. oh and she's good with kids and lives with a cat daily. sounds like a killer to me. you're ignorant

March 24, 2011 at 17:36 | Report abuse |
    • MrsFizzy

Of course, it's *bound* to happen... look at that "killer" and read about the way they are bringing her up! (rolls eyes).

March 24, 2011 at 19:03 | Report abuse |
    • JustConcerned

Initially I thought this post was just a joke....but sadly I think you are serious. Such ignorance! As the owner of 3 english bull terriers, I can't tell you how many times I've had to correct this thinking. My dogs have come from breeders, shelters and rescues. All lovable. I also have 3 children, many nieces and nephews who also love the dogs...and who the dogs love in return. My dogs don't even chase our domestic ducks and chickens. I'm willing to bet you have loads of bigoted ideology...and I wouldn't doubt you are of the mindset that "all muslims are terrorists", too. In this day and age, in this country. Help us all.

March 24, 2011 at 19:12 | Report abuse |
    • Brian

You've been drinking the Kool-aide. Most aggressive dog I ever had: a beagle. Most affectionate and best behaved dog I ever had: a pit. Runner up on the latter: a Doberman. It ain't the dogs, its the people who raise them.

March 24, 2011 at 22:04 | Report abuse |
    • Susan2

To "Susan" – What narrow-minded thinking. "Statistics" do not prove your point – where's the data to support your statement? Very few pit bulls are killers, but you're basing your remarks on isolated stories presented in news reports, & not on the general population of thousands of pit bulls who are wonderful family dogs & don't attack anyone or anything other than a furry stuffed toy or chew bone!! I'm not a pit bull owner, but I do volunteer at two animal shelters that receive a large number of pit bulls. My experience has certainly changed my mild apprehension about the breed after working with so many of them & seeing what big babies they are who just want to cuddle & have their bellies rubbed. And only one or two of them have been returned by the adopters for reasons other than aggression (couldn't afford upkeep, etc.). I volunteered at one of the shelters spay & neuter days for pit bulls only. We had over 60 pit bulls, & not one of them was aggressive, even while we were lifting them onto tables or putting them into crates or cages. Your remarks are what fuels the fears instead of presenting the reality.

March 24, 2011 at 22:12 | Report abuse |
    • 2manyhorses

Sorry Susan,
      I work at a shelter and also have several Pitbulls. Why? Because they are often the nicest dogs I encounter and are the first to be considered for euthanasia. Why? Because of ignorance like yours and the bias in the media. 9 times out of 10, the dog in an attack (human/canine) is misidentified as a Pitbull.
      Take this test...http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html. Bet you have no clue, just like the media.
      Further, previous reply is absolutely correct. Pitbull is way down on the list of biters and the Am Staff, basic original Pitbull breed, was the most popular family dog during the 40's...remember Petey from The Little Rascals...Pitbull! Think for yourself and learn something! Stop perpetuating a stereotype when you are clueless!!!!

March 24, 2011 at 22:31 | Report abuse |
    • Ed

I agree with Susan. I own a dog but not all dogs are created equal. Pit bull breeding should be eliminated. Just this week a small dog was killed here in my town by a couple of pit bulls on the loose. They also attacked a couple of adults. The risk / benefit proposition with pit bulls just ain't there. Time to wake up and realize that. It only takes one exception to the "yeah but they're nice" observation to turn truly tragic. Oh, by the way, pit bulls are real popular with gangsta's and other low life around these parts. When they lose their jobs they abandon these dogs. The local shelter is over-flowing with them. No one in their right mind wants to adopt a grown pit-bull.

March 24, 2011 at 23:09 | Report abuse |
    • 2manyhorses

To Ed,
      Could not agree with you more. It is 100% how they are trained. HOWEVER...all except for 2 of Michael Vick's surviving dogs, 38 in all, were able to be re-homed with families. It is just how loving and adaptable the breed is.
      Some may not work well with other dogs, depends on the training you can provide and the individual dog. Almost all are very good with humans...that has been inbred and explains how he could approach dogs that he did not think would do well and use them as canine jump ropes until they died from blunt-force trauma. The dogs never questioned their owner.

March 24, 2011 at 23:51 | Report abuse |
    • megz

i hate you.

March 25, 2011 at 01:42 | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Well Susan, you got the replies you expected! Anytime pit bulls are characterized as monsters, pit bull owners (like me) who know and love and understand the awesome nature of the breed will rush to their defense. Why? Because this breed, through it's loyalty and trainability has been so taken advantage of by.... people. Before pit bulls were being bred and trained by idiots like Michael Vick, they were known as "nanny" dogs, because they're so good with kids. Pit bulls are used more than any other breed as therapy dogs for children's hospitals, since pit bulls will tolerate any ear pulling and roughness that kids may unintentionally inflict. One of the best things my wife and I have ever done together was to rescue and raise Trout, our awesome pit bull, and when our very old lab / hound mix passes away, we will adopt another pit bull. Absolutely the best, funniest, warmest and most loving dogs ever. It's such a shame that only the responsible and loving humans who provide good and balanced homes for these dogs, know how incredible they are.

March 25, 2011 at 02:49 | Report abuse |
    • Leah

Those saying that pit bulls are evil killers have obviously never spent more than 5 minutes with one. The ones that have aggression problems are most likely the ones being trains for fights and ones raised in abusive households. I have been bitten by beagles and labs, but never in my life have I been more smothered in wet kisses than when I'm around my friends' pit bulls. I love the breed and I can't wait to rescue and raise one to disprove your ignorance.

March 25, 2011 at 02:49 | Report abuse |
    • Daryn

The only thing statistics prove is your ignorance of the breed or your ignorance in general. Do some actual research before you decide you "know" something next time.

March 25, 2011 at 05:23 | Report abuse |
    • Joseph

@Susan
      While there are a few Pitbulls out there that will probably back your statement...I can assure you that there are far more that wouldn't. I myself have owned 3 pitbulls and 2 dobermans.....NONE of them showed any signs of agression towards anything....Dont let the sins of a few condemn the rest.

March 25, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
    • Josh

I feel bad for you if your life revolves around statistics. There are only two bits of statistics I see quoted by people - the Clifton Merrit and CDC statistics. The problem is, Clifton's is based on media accounts, which are known to sensationalize, and the CDC statistics clearly state the statistics are useless in determining which breeds are more dangerous than others because it doesn't take the population or other important factors into account. Of course, most people are selective in what they read and believe, and don't read that far.

I have owned pitbulls for years. I too was once a sheep that followed media as fact and believed they were vicious animals. Fortunately, I'm also intelligent enough to do my own research and am not willing to blindly follow what others have told me without doing my own investigation. What I found is that they're horribly misrepresented. I took the plunge, adopted one from the shelter, and have never had a desire to own any other breed. I have have been fostering this breed for years, as well as caring for my own, and haven't had a single issue yet.

It was mentioned they're the favorite of thugs - has anyone considered that's part of the problem? These thug-wannabes do not train their pets, do not pay to have them fixed, want them to be mean, and leave them to a life on the chain. The CDC statistics that you think "proves" they are vicious? Apparently you didn't read this far into it - or you would have seen where they said the statistics were useless for determining aggression - but well over 90% of fatal attacks were caused by intact, tethered, male dogs - just the type that are common with thugs. It's absolutely no surprised there are some issues, however the problem is not as bad as it's made out to be by media. These breeds are already ranked in the top two with the highest population, which is probably grossly understated due to all the trash and backyard breeders that flock to the breed.

I'm an educated person with no criminal record and a great career, and I'm extremely grateful I researched the breed instead of making blind judgments based on flawed statistics. My "vicious" pit bulls have done nothing but make me smile, along with anyone else fortunate enough to meet them. They've changed many people's opinions over the years, and hopefully incited a few to give them a chance. It's unfortunate that the responsible ones that would provide a loving home to these wonderful dogs are also the least likely to give them a chance due to the trashy people that have ruined their reputation with the help of media sensationalism.

But yes, I know, they're a ticking time bomb, and one day - I WILL DIE [rolls eyes]

March 25, 2011 at 09:50 | Report abuse |
  11. Alex

Be careful what you wish for. My boyfriend and I just adopted a dog from the shelter and she has done the complete opposite for us so far. We're constantly watching her so that she doesn't pee in the house or eat a shoe. We're worn out from the 3 hour long walks, plus fetch, plus training a day. Our heads hurt from the incessant barking when she's put in her crate for dinner and bed time. The stress level around the house is sky-high. We've hardly touched each other once since getting this dog three weeks ago... just hugs to try to calm each other down and boost spirits while we want to strangle this poor pup. Who offers night time dog sitting?!!

March 24, 2011 at 17:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Valerie

All I have to say is, don't plan on having babies anytime soon, you'd probably hang yourself! LOL!

March 24, 2011 at 17:37 | Report abuse |
    • Alex

Valerie – You're probably right. After all this, I have NO idea how parents do it. I've told my parents a couple times since getting the dog how thankful I am for them putting up with me! Puppies = Extra birth control in my book.

March 24, 2011 at 17:40 | Report abuse |
    • Stephanie

Alex, I felt the same way when I first got my puppy! I don't know how old your dog is or how long you've had her, but I can tell you that the first two or three months of puppyhood were complete hell on my fiance and I. Chewing, going to the bathroom in the house/crate, barking in the crate, whining when left alone...I threatened to take her right back to the breeder every single day. Fortunately, after about four months, things started improving drastically – she started learning the rules of the house and actually became fun (and not stressful!) to be around. She just turned two last week, and many people tell us she's one of the best dogs they've ever met. My sister-in-law's cat-loving, dog-hating boyfriend is completely obsessed with her. We couldn't ask for a better pup.

Keep doing what you're doing and hang in there! Your dog will begin to respond to your tireless training efforts, and you will finally be able to bond with her.

March 25, 2011 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • Dargha

Should've got a cat, Alex... My partner and I have 2 rescued dogs and 2 rescued cats... Dogs are a LOT of work, especially when you get them from a shelter, they may have come from abuse or neglect situations and need a lot of patience and love. If you can't work with your animals, you shouldn't have them. Sorry that's harsh, but too many animals end up repeat shelter inhabitants because people just "didn't know how much work it was." ~The owner of 2 AWESOME rescued Pits.

April 15, 2011 at 20:19 | Report abuse |
  12. Dogmom

What can I say – DOGS RULE!!!!

PS – ADORABLE face :>) go Jitterbug!!!

March 24, 2011 at 18:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Joey

How come you pet people think someone such as myself is wrong because I don't like pets. Okay I'm really going take a dog for a walk and wait untils it drops a fresh one and then pick it up...NO Pets in the house are disgusting. Living with humans is enough. I watch people kiss dogs,cats in the mouth. I saw this lady eating a icecream one day exchanging lick for lick with her dog. Come-on people. Oh a dogs mouth is cleaning than a humans. LOL I will stick to kissing humans. I just don't understand why you guys get so crazy with pets. I get it. You like dog/cats. BUt that doesn't mean you gotta LOSE YOUR MIND. A dog is not a human. One poster said they like dogs more than humas. I say, you need help.

March 24, 2011 at 19:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Two Cats

"How come you pet people think someone such as myself is wrong because I don't like pets."

The rest of your post basically answers the rest of the question. Pets are such wonderful, loving companions (assuming that the personality of the pet fits the human's lifestyle, obviously Alex and her boyfriend didn't get the right personality match). My cats are alway looking for snuggles, they meow from the next room and come running if you call back to them, they jump up onto the bag of my chair and stick a little paw on my shoulder. No matter how upset I am, my cats can make me feel better. No matter how happy I am, they can still make me feel better! The joy they bring is a small, small price to pay for scooping the litterbox.

March 24, 2011 at 20:56 | Report abuse |
    • Two Cats

Whoops, I should have re-read that comment before posting. I meant "back of my chair," not "bag of my chair."

Also, scooping the litterbox is a small price to pay for the joy of having them in my life. I really got that backwards the first time!

March 24, 2011 at 20:59 | Report abuse |
    • T3chsupport

It's not so much that we think it's necessarily wrong to just not like pets, but your level of apparent disgust for it... well, it says a lot about a person.

March 24, 2011 at 21:54 | Report abuse |
    • Lila

If you hate pets so much why troll the articles about them? Passive aggressive people who try to get a rise out of others need help.

March 24, 2011 at 21:55 | Report abuse |
    • 2manyhorses

So get over it and quit posting here unless you are a troll. Would never want to place an animal with you; you don't deserve them!

March 24, 2011 at 22:36 | Report abuse |
    • joey

To All: LOL I don't like pets. They are nasty. Just like humans.But the day I need a dog/cat to complete me and greet me at the door is the day I need to talk to a shrink. If you guys need all of this to complete you then (in the words of T3chsupport) it says a lot about a person. Maybe you all should look in the mirror if you need this from a animal.

March 24, 2011 at 23:05 | Report abuse |
    • Daina

Grow a second brain cell & look up microbiology; VERY, VERY few illnessess are transmitted to other species. That having been said if you and my dog needed CPR I'd give him mouth to snout resusitation instantly whilst you turn blue waiting for the EMTs....

March 25, 2011 at 02:12 | Report abuse |
    • natalie

daina,

agreed. i'd choose my dog (my friend, actually, i know it's "disgusting") over some of the people on this site. i guess i'm depraved!

March 25, 2011 at 02:16 | Report abuse |
    • megz

no one said you have to like animals. i LOVE animals and i really, really don't care one bit if you don't like them or don't want to adopt them. that's your choice. if you can't or don't want to take care of an animal than you dont have to. and that's fine. it doesn't make you a bad person. but telling animal lovers that animals are bad and gross and whatever else is kind of wrong. mind your own business. no one's telling you you have to adopt a pet. you've made SEVERAL comments stating that you dont like animals, and going on and on about all the negative aspects of pet-ownership. you're being obnoxious. we get it. you don't like animals. just shut up.

March 25, 2011 at 02:17 | Report abuse |
    • sarah

Okay but you just told someone I HATE YOU. And your trying tell him to just shut up. Wow

March 25, 2011 at 02:39 | Report abuse |
    • sarah

That comment was for megz

March 25, 2011 at 02:40 | Report abuse |
  14. EmperorObama

I must fully agree with this article. Since my old lady and I picked up our dog Bo, she has me laying the presidential pipe to her on a nightly basis. Luckily for me between my Rio trips, golf outings and NCAA picks I still find time to accommodate her.

March 24, 2011 at 21:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Tom Leykis

The author of this article is pathetic. Does he want some cheese with his Whine?

March 24, 2011 at 21:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daddy Leykis

I just knew, before I even looked you up on Facebook, that you'd be a fat slob.

March 24, 2011 at 21:46 | Report abuse |
    • Alan Talin

you looked someone up on facebook off this site? christ man stop being a statistic and get a job already

March 24, 2011 at 23:11 | Report abuse |
  16. Nan

My best bud (a lab black lab) of 10 years passed away three years ago next month. I still miss him everyday! There were times when my son was a teenager that I honestly liked my dog better than my son! My lab had a better social life than I did. My son's friends borrowed him to pick-up girls in the park on pretty days. My son's ex-girlfriends came by to take him to the park to meet guys (guys love labs), and all the dogless children in the neighborhood would come to the fence yelling for Fletch to come out and play. As far as being a retriever the only birds he would would hunt was in a red and white bucket already cleaned and fried, and eggnog with a splash of Wild Turkey in it (no unattended glass was safe) Fletch was also the most shiftless piece of dog flesh I have ever come across. What I would not give for one more day of throwing a soggy frisbee for him, Dogs make you live better, love more, and reach out more.

March 24, 2011 at 21:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • 2manyhorses

May not have much in common, but you are so my kind of person!

March 24, 2011 at 23:02 | Report abuse |
    • Nan

2manyhorses, thank you! 😉 I read some of your posts on here. I agree, no idea what we may have in common, but yeah you sound like my kind of person. On the pit bull comments.... Fletch had an American Staffordshire Terrier friend named Marshall... he actually had a better personality then my black lab!! Fletch was all about Fletch..... shiftless.

March 25, 2011 at 12:15 | Report abuse |
  17. Lila

I have dogs and cats, can't imagine life without them. Your dog is adorable. I have a 15 year old pitbull, who looks awesome for her age but I dread the day she passes. She has brought me so much happiness. My other dog is a chihuahua and they do everything together. Right now they are rolled up in a ball in front of the fire. My husband and I are very happy animal lovers and our marriage is successful. One of things we do everyday is talk about our day while we walk the dogs. Anyway great article and good luck with the pup!!!

March 24, 2011 at 21:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Stephan Michaels

Looks like a pit bull mix.An improvement. 'Cause it's hard to take advice from anyone who owned a Jack Russell.

March 24, 2011 at 22:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Sara

Nice to see a charming story of a pitt bull out there, and glad you included a photo. They need all the good press they can get!

March 24, 2011 at 22:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Johnny

It's still a pit bull. You can't trust pit bulls. My very sweet dog was attacked by a Pit that had never attacked another dog in it's 10 years. Research shows that most pit bull owners have serious mental issues and are overcompensating for something...the good doctor included.

March 24, 2011 at 22:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lila

You are a moron. I was volunteer at a shelter when I fell in love with a dog who happened to be a pitbull. I also have a chihuahua. People who think like you have serious mental issues.

March 24, 2011 at 22:59 | Report abuse |
    • Leah

Pitbulls are loving and loyal dogs. I have several friends who own pit bulls, and I can't wait to get one of my own. I'm sorry you went through what you did, but a dog's behavior is dependent on the person who owns and trains it, not the breed itself.

March 25, 2011 at 02:35 | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

All I can say is you have your "opinions" and I have worked in shelters for decades. Before I did, I had breed prejudice like you, but after working with these dogs, I will eventually adopt one. So, whatever.

March 25, 2011 at 03:27 | Report abuse |
    • Nivek

So why would my vet and my dog trainer say they prefer to work with pit bulls rather than a golden retrever and why do the statistics of dog bites totally refute what you posted? Your preception is based on your belief in the news media, not fact. Pits are just a matter of bad press, they are just wonderful dogs – go do a little research and get back to us. And don't get me wrong, I too thought as you did, until I found out the truth. You can read my post below.

March 25, 2011 at 06:36 | Report abuse |
    • pitlover

dude you got issues, you do realize that most reports of pits attacking aren't even pits the new media just say that for the attention, on top of the in the 20th century pits were considered the best pets for children, even above labs. and as the saying goes bad owner bad dog, good owner good dog, you dog must have done something to provoke the attack, were you even there when it happened?
      i got a pit, my 10lb dog beats her ass all the time and she loves it. pit owners just have a passion for dogs so dont go stereotyping people based on a bad exerience or off the opinion from one doctor. oh and by the way, you can even look this up pits are by far one of the best dogs for the handicapped, whether its seeing eye dog or for the mute buddy.

March 25, 2011 at 09:39 | Report abuse |
  21. formrusmcsgt

The day my libido depends on a dog I'll figure it's all over.

March 24, 2011 at 22:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. formrusmcsgt

T3chsupport

Maybe you find slobbering animals and their parasites and shedding and dander endearing, but all of us most certainly do not. I prefer my own species personally....they don't shed and can actually converse.

March 24, 2011 at 22:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • joey

I couldn't have said said it better. Pet owners act like everyone should love pets.

March 24, 2011 at 22:52 | Report abuse |
    • joey

@Grits
      The more crazy pet owners I meet. The more I LOVE PEOPLE.......

March 24, 2011 at 23:33 | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

Right, because you're such a sanitary being. I'm sure you never cast off any old cell casings or hair, or oil from your feet onto your carpets. Nonetheless, thank goodness you don't have pets. At least you realize what you are. Too many don't, and misery results.

March 25, 2011 at 03:25 | Report abuse |
  23. Aaron

I'm sorry but I had to stop after I read, "petting a dog is good foreplay."

The worst part, I can never unread it!

March 24, 2011 at 22:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. trixen

If walking Fido gives you a stiffy, you probably ought to seek professional help.

March 24, 2011 at 22:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Grits

The more people I meet the more I like dogs.

March 24, 2011 at 23:10 | Report abuse |
    • joey

@Grits
      And the crazier you pet people get. The more I LOVE HUMANS...

March 24, 2011 at 23:39 | Report abuse |
  25. Alan Talin

"Jitterbug helps get my oxytocin going. It may sound strange, but petting a dog is good foreplay."

... I think thats already been outlawed in my state.

March 24, 2011 at 23:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Patricia St. John

Terrific piece! Beyond training there's an immensely special relationship between people and their animals. When you look at your dog as if it can really think and be creative, then you not only open your dog's world, but yours as well. This is the very reason I created my website:

morethanjustadog.net

Why has it taken so long for humans to see their pets beyond the traditional: I MUST ALWAYS BE IN CONTROL model of interaction? The more we release ourselves to deepen our own interactions with our beloved canine friends and dog family members, the better their and out own lives become.

Patricia St. John
    morethanjustadog.net

March 24, 2011 at 23:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • David55

When you ascribe uniquely human attributes to an animal that doesnt actually possess them, you defraud yourself and begin constructing a fairytale land where you convince yourself that your selfish dog loves you, and he wouldnt eat your still warm body mere hours after your death.

Why humans must be in control of their dogs is the same reason that dogs must be in control of dogs in the natural world. You dont see any free spirited solo wolves frolicking around, you see strictly stratified packs. Your house is a pack, you must be the leader. If you are not the dominant alpha, you will never have control and will constantly blame your dog for being aggressive, shy, scared, etc. Be the "Dog" your dog wants you to be, and you will discover that treating an animal like an animal, is the healthiest activity you can perform.

If you somehow convince yourself your dog has any actual concern about your, save the worry that without you they cant get food, i hate to tell you, but your dog owns you.

March 25, 2011 at 01:33 | Report abuse |
    • Patricia St. John

Please scroll to the end of the comments (after #133) to see my reply to David55.

Thank you.

Patricia St. John
      morethanjustadog.net

March 25, 2011 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
    • Patricia St. John

Well, for some unknown reason the post reply didn't go through. No reason why. It was polite and respectful, so I have no idea what happened.

Patricia St. John
      morethanjustadog.net

March 25, 2011 at 16:49 | Report abuse |
  27. sallen0045

Joey...I agree with you. I had a dog and never want another one. Too much work and it is degrading to me to walk behind some dog and wait till it craps as you say and carry it around. No dog would ever get in my bed or on the couch. I don't want dog hair in my bed or fleas for that matter. And when it rains they need their feet wiped off before walking on the carpet. And it is sick to let some dog lick you in the mouth or on the face. I see people letting dogs lick their infants in the mouth. Dogs have dirty mouths. And for you dog lovers who disagree...ask your vet. I like dogs but believe they are animals and need to be outside.

March 24, 2011 at 23:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • joey

Hey you better watch out. The animal lovers are going to get you for agreeing with me. You know they think I'm the devil because I think animals are nasty.

March 25, 2011 at 00:03 | Report abuse |
    • 20 Year Veggie

I'm sure there's some cold woman out there who will agree with you. Mazel Tov!

March 25, 2011 at 03:23 | Report abuse |
    • Simplicstica

If you can't handle having a dog living inside your house, then don't get one. Simple.

March 25, 2011 at 05:33 | Report abuse |
    • pitlover

well your partially right, every species (us included) has their own kind of bacteria unique to them. a dogs mouth does have bacteria but its a different kind than humans, thats why when they lick us we dont get sick, btw its been proven that letting a dog lick a wound helps it heal faster sooooo their mouths cant be that dirty buddy.

March 25, 2011 at 09:51 | Report abuse |
  28. hi...you gotta read this baby

you gotta read this baby its pretty interesting...explains y im so loving..:P

March 25, 2011 at 00:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. armywifeam

Love this article. My husband and I were in the debate on whether to get a dog or wait, guess this solves it 🙂

March 25, 2011 at 00:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Simplicstica

Bring a puppy and a kitten home at the same time. They'll get along, since neither was there "first," and you'll get to enjoy both kinds of pets.

March 25, 2011 at 05:35 | Report abuse |
  30. Kay

I want a dog very badly but unfortunately I have asthma and allergies. So I have to live vicariously, talking to dog owners when I see them on the street and watching as many dog movies and TV shows as i can get my hands on. If there is any justice, perhaps in my next life I'll come back as an allergy-free person.

March 25, 2011 at 01:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • 20 Year Veggie

There are breeds that work for people with allergies, like the Portuguese Water Dog that the Obamas got because Sasha's allergies to dogs were so bad. Numerous breeds have "wool" instead of fur, and that means no dander. Ask at your local animal shelter. I'll bet you can be a dog owner yet.

March 25, 2011 at 03:22 | Report abuse |
  31. Dr. Michael P Taylor

Women with pets (esp dogs) make better lovers....

March 25, 2011 at 01:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nan

Hell YES we do!!!

March 25, 2011 at 12:16 | Report abuse |
    • Patricia St. John

We've always had many dogs. My husband would agree with that idea about women who have dogs. Now I understand things better than before! It also explains about him, too.

Patricia St. John
      morethanjustadog.net

March 25, 2011 at 17:31 | Report abuse |
  32. 20 Year Veggie

I couldn't agree more. I know how you feel about your Jack, I lost my hound after 15 years together, after she had been abandoned in the woods. I got her when I was 25 and single. When she died, I had been married for years, with three kids.

But we've always had multiple dogs, and I couldn't agree more with the things you've observed. Every one. So now, the dog I got after my old girl passed, a hyper huge terrier, is my young walking buddy, and we do meet people, see the same people and dogs over and over again. I also see my town in minutae. Who is painting. Who is frying dinner. Who watches a lot of TV. Who has planted petunias.

I can't imagine life without our dogs. They stink up the furniture and shed, and are expensive, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck on your new puppy!

March 25, 2011 at 03:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. 20 Year Veggie

I fell in love with my husband when he helped me take care of a five-week-old orphaned puppy. When I saw how he was with Gracie, I knew he was a good man, and would be a good father. 16 years later, I was right. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they interact with the rest of the creatures on the earth.

March 25, 2011 at 03:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Nivek

Ex g/f's daughter's b/f abused a 3 year old pit bull. I took her for a week to either put her down or adopt her out. I did a lot of research, worked with an ex K9 State Trooper. I only have two issues with her, she's a bed hog and she snores. She is the most intellegent, loveable and funniest dog I have ever had. I taught her a new trick – I go BEEP BEEP BEEP like a truck backing up and she backs down the hall. LMAO. Do your research and be willing to train your pit bull, but they are the best. Plus you can stick your toes under their tummy to keep them warm on the couch and they don't mind. Ahhhh – dogs. (Oh – their noses's are made of some weird nylon substance you can kiss and be okay)

March 25, 2011 at 06:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Ron

Nah, pit bulls are fine. So are German Sheppards, Dobermans and Huskies. It is the people who own these dogs who are often just plain awful. A dog is a dog; a dog is mush when treated right. I prefer dogs to people most of the time...

March 25, 2011 at 06:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. formrusmcsgt

20 Year Veggie

Just what does " At least you realize what you are" supposed to mean?

You think that people who prefer living with other species are superior somehow to those who do not?

If so, I can see why you prefer other species to your own. They can't comprehend your absurd mindset.

March 25, 2011 at 07:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Brainy Yak

We had a German Shepherd for a year and a half. We've both had dogs before and were looking forward to it. We got him as a 6 month old pup and did everything 'right' according to the experts. The dog wrecked our home and put us so much on edge that we began to fight over him. We tried everything to make it right for a year and a half, but finally rehomed him two weeks ago, and FINALLY stopped fighting – first time in 6 months. This dog didn't belong in our home for some reason, but I doubt if we'll get another dog any time soon. Just telling folks to beware, even experienced dog people can come across a dog that just doesn't fit. Forcing the situation doesn't help.

March 25, 2011 at 07:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nivek

You are correct – I had a lost beagle that I brought it, years ago, and it just didn't work and then I had to make the decision. Didn't know her history but man o man, that was a tough one. So sorry for your sad report but HEY, ya' gave it a shot, did the best you could. Sometimes it just doesn't work. Give it a rest, but you and your wife may try again. It does sound like you are animal lovers. Peace to you.

March 25, 2011 at 07:11 | Report abuse |
  38. formrusmcsgt

20 Year Veggie

Brilliant. You put up with all that just for acceptance?

Well, at keast you know what you are, eh?

March 25, 2011 at 07:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. formrusmcsgt

The "humanizing" of other species by some has gone beyond the absurd. In Oregon, I believe, the EMT's are trained and equipped to resucitate pets.

So tax payers get stuck with the bill for saving someone's "Poopsie". Not only that, imagine humans being denied emergency services because EMTs are busy saving somone's pet.......

TOTALLY absurd.

March 25, 2011 at 07:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Nan

First of all... Thank you for serving our country! Now.... Yes, they are trained, it is built in to required CPR/First Responders training. Emergency services will not respond to "an animal in trouble" typically when they resuscitate an animal it is when there has been a house fire and the animal was in the home. and emergency services are already on site. Better tax money used for that, than a light rail system that no one wants and the city can not afford.

March 25, 2011 at 12:27 | Report abuse |
  40. Mary Jane

David55 You are evil, sick to my stomach, you are the immoral here just by saying that you would kill personally dogs to save an human, you are sick and have no soul. Arrogant!

March 25, 2011 at 07:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Morticia

The word "pet' sound like "toy", a thing that you can dispose at any time...
    I just have a cat and a dog..

March 25, 2011 at 07:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Julia

I would never say that a dog is like a human. They are much better. They don't have agendas. They live in "now". Stress free. We should all take a lesson from them. They just want to be with us. They don't ask for much and they love everything that they get from us. I believe that you are not complete until you open your soul to a dog.

March 25, 2011 at 07:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. alexis

For all the ignorant people that have a need to say Pitt Bulls are nothing but killers.... how easy they forget .. Petey from the Little Rascals was a Pitt... wow .. he was surely a killer.... i have had two pitts in my life... the first one we had for many years .. and now i have a 4 month pup... it is all how you raise them ... but a damn chihuahua growls and bites more then my dog..and people keep putting cloths on them and putting them in their purses .... wow ...

March 25, 2011 at 08:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pitlover

yo foreal my moms shih tzu is more aggressive than my 10 month old pit mix, she's bitten all my friends who just kicker off their feet and my dog has never bitter anybody. little dogs are ferocious!! lmao

March 25, 2011 at 09:56 | Report abuse |
  44. Chris

This man is irresponsible. Why in the world would he want to expose his family to the risks of owning a potentially dangerous breed such as a Pit Bull Terrier? True, not every Pit Bull is a killer . . . but these dogs are bred for aggression and their temperment can change suddenly and unexpectedly. Just search google news with a query such as "pit bull attack".

March 25, 2011 at 08:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. War Eagle

I have three dogs and I am not getting any, LOL. Dogs do bring a lot of joy in your life or almost any animal for that matter. I am glad to see they adopted a PIt. There are so many out there that need homes. I volunteer for a dog rescue and see them all the time. I have two Pits myself and when raised correctly they are great dogs. They are extreamly smart and loyal. In the early 1900's they were the most popular breed of dog. They were called nanny-dogs because they were such good dogs with kids. Even Hellen Keller had a Pit. Bad breeding and owners has lead to the problems that they have. Pits are not for everyone but they are great dogs and most are very sweet and loving.

March 25, 2011 at 08:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Chris

War Eagle:
    You contradict yourself. If bad breeding is the problem (as you have stated), then nature is the issue, not nurture. A Pit Bull that is treated wonderfully can still "snap". This is not an overstatement. Again, just read the news. Why expose a child to the unnecessary risk of a vicious attack when there are so many other breeds that are more appropriate for a family?

March 25, 2011 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Susan

What a beautiful little face! God has blessed humankind with these adorable little creatures. Dogs just make life complete.

March 25, 2011 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. wolf

man
    After reading this there are some real nut cases that believe all they hear the press say, so all the hub bub about pits and the like. My three kids grew up with dogs and they lived, I guess this was a miracle being three dogs were wolfs, a couple of blue tics, and a doeby. And now I’m older and the kids are grown I have 5 inside dog’s Border collie, Catahoula , wolf/ sheltie, gray wolf, and the meanest and the one that rules, my long hair Chihuahua ,and three out side cats. Oh well

March 25, 2011 at 08:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. deecee

I love this guy's insight and the way this story applies scientific research to this subjective case.

Awesome story that makes me glad I'm a dog lover!

March 25, 2011 at 09:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Erin

Don't feed the trolls!!

Also... Dogs can be aggressive when they are overly babied or when they are abused. A bratty dog can be just as bad as an abused dog when it comes to behavior.

March 25, 2011 at 09:24 | Report abuse | Reply