home
RSS
Nearly 50 million Americans uninsured, CDC says
March 23rd, 2011

Nearly 50 million Americans uninsured, CDC says

Almost 50 million Americans are without health insurance– 3 million more than a year ago, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.  The report finds one in five people were uninsured during some portion of the last 12 months.

Over the past decade, the number of adults 18-64 without medical coverage has gone up but the number of children lacking insurance has gone down, according to the CDC.

An expert with the Kaiser Family Foundation who monitors these figures says the economy is partly to blame.

"In the U.S., people's insurance coverage is linked to their jobs and so when people lose jobs, they lose the insurance coverage that comes with it," says Rachel Garfield senior researcher and associate director at the Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured.

More than a third of unemployed adults under age 65 have been without health insurance for more than a year compared with about one in six adults who are still working, according to the CDC.

But since the late 1990s, government programs have expanded coverage for children so now only 8.2% of them do not have some type of medical assistance.

People in the South and West were less likely to enroll in a health plan. And adult males younger than 65 were more likely to be uninsured than their female counterparts.

Researchers say that of 68,000 Americans surveyed, two-thirds are considered in good health but that's down from a decade ago.

Post by:
Filed under: CDC

1. sealchan

Being healthy and being able to maintain one's health should be a no brainer in a developed country. I have less basic things I would rather be concerned with. Therefore, I am willing to pay my part for universal health care coverage now and reform the system now and going forward. Let's stop pretending that hard-working, deserving adults and innocent children are not suffering NOW and move forward.

March 24, 2011 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bec

What bothers me is that my cousins who had babies out of wedlock and didn't go to college are covered by state health insurance automatically. But I, who chose to go on and get an education, lost my health coverage at 19 and have had to pay the bills out-of-pocket for myself, despite being a full-time student. I have conditions that need long-term monitoring but I can't afford to go to the doctor for routine visits. My parents certainly can't afford insurance. The system we have does not work and I for one won't stand by and let my health suffer because some damn politician wants to take away what should be a basic human right.

March 24, 2011 at 16:46 | Report abuse |

Daniel B

Hello, Here is some information that might help in your situation. All the best....
      My name is Daniel Berru and I am an agent for a health insurance company and I can definitely help any of you here with obtaining health insurance coverage if you are interested. Just a brief summary for you, I work for a company called Family Care which has been around for 28 years now and our Insurance Division is American Workers Insurance Services otherwise known as AWIS. Our company is geared towards people like you who have lost their health coverage due to a layoff, qualifying issues, or simply because you just cannot afford it. Without overwhelming you with a ton of information all at once, I can tell you that I can get you covered as an individual for our lowest plan at $59.95 a month. Our most popular plan is the Care Choice plan which covers you and your family. On this plan you and your entire family will be covered fully with health insurance as well as even Life Insurance along with numerous other benefits that will help you out. This plan is $99.95 a month with a one time $100.00 application fee. Imagine getting your entire family covered for under $100 a month. The annual premiuim will never change on you. If you sign up for the Care Choice plan at $99.95, then your monthly payments will always be locked in for you at that price. Of course you can downgrade and upgrade to other packages at any time without having to pay the application fee again. If you would like to contact me for more info and a
      possible time to get together to discuss your options either in person or over the phone, then please call me directly
      at (661) 312-7797. I am located in Southern California but can help you get insured wherever you are in the country. I invite you to also visit dberru.awiscard.com to view the actual plans in advance and get a quick idea of what is available to you. While on that site, you can click on the "CONTACT" button to also get in contact with me. I have FREE Prescriptions cards that are for clients that purchase a plan. These cards are just an added bonus that gives you a savings of anywhere from 10% to 80% off any of your generic or name brand prescriptions. It can be used permanently over and over again at thousands of pharmacies including Wal-Mart, Walgreens, CVS, Kroger and many more. Please let me know if you are interested and I will do whatever I can to relieve some of that financial stress for you in regards to health insurance. This will definitely help you and ease your mind about atleast having health coverage in case of an accident, injury, illness or just your routine doctor appts. If you decide to go a different route, than I wish you the very best in these tough times. If I can help answer or assist you in anyway, then I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you all in advance.

- Agent: Daniel Berru #43864

- Phone: (661) 312-7797

- dberru.awiscard.com – Information on the health plans

August 15, 2011 at 01:53 | Report abuse |
  2. Paul Ronco

Don't forget though, we have "the best healthcare system in the world." We just kill the ones who can't afford it.

March 24, 2011 at 14:39 | Report abuse | Reply

Daniel B

Hello, You are definitely right. Affordability is one of the main reasons for this problem. Here is some information that just might help you in your situation.....

- Agent: Daniel Berru #43864

- Phone: (661) 312-7797

- dberru.awiscard.com – Information on the health plans

August 15, 2011 at 01:51 | Report abuse |
  3. Mark L.

Oh yeah, right..."Best healthcare system in the world...?" I guess that's we rank # 37th...Don't believe it? See for yourself – http://www.photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html.

March 24, 2011 at 14:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. veritas

Just the way the GOP wants it..no wages..no medical care..no benefits andmore for the upper 5% and insurance companies..and the dupped Americans are buying this crap

March 24, 2011 at 15:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Ted

Hey John MCCain preached at the capitol americans don't want health care. Thanks John, Thanks Republicans,

March 24, 2011 at 15:19 | Report abuse | Reply

Daniel B

Hello, Here is some information that might help you in your situation. Best of luck to you in these rough times...

- Agent: Daniel Berru #43864

- Phone: (661) 312-7797

- dberru.awiscard.com – Information on the health plans

August 15, 2011 at 01:44 | Report abuse |
  6. Andreas

that's capitalism for ya'll, good luck, might be better off dead

March 24, 2011 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply

Daniel B

Hello, I completely understand your frustration. Here is some info that might prove to be useful in your situation. Best of luck to you....

- Agent: Daniel Berru #43864

- Phone: (661) 312-7797

- dberru.awiscard.com – Information on the health plans

August 15, 2011 at 01:41 | Report abuse |
  7. WVLDY63

The 50 million of us who don't have insurance are paying for the other 50 million illegals and welfare receipients! These illegal aliens and useless welfare recipients suck up any money that should go to taxpayers! As long as this country caters to illegal aliens and useless welfare recipients, hard working Americans will have NOTHING! Welfare should be done away with and all aliens that vomit across our borders and demand citizenship should be banned from America, period!!!

March 24, 2011 at 16:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lasciel

Way to perpetuate racial stereotypes! Most Mexican illegals have taxes withheld from their paychecks by employers, who either don't know they're illegal or don't care. Plus there's paying sales taxes on purchased goods.

March 24, 2011 at 16:42 | Report abuse |
    • Fig1024

The best tactic the rich Republicans ever pulled is to convince the poor Americans that the real enemy is even poorer illegal immigrants. Let the poor fight it out among themselves and distract them from people who have real power

March 24, 2011 at 16:51 | Report abuse |
    • Larry

When you get some free time from ranting about illegals (which is a separate and valid issue), you might want to spend some time studying up on health care issues, which you clearly haven't spent any time doing so far.

March 24, 2011 at 18:18 | Report abuse |

Daniel B

Hello, I completely agree with all your points. Here is some info that may help you.. Best of luck to you in your situation..

- Agent: Daniel Berru #43864

- Phone: (661) 312-7797

- dberru.awiscard.com – Information on the health plans

August 15, 2011 at 01:38 | Report abuse |
  8. RepublicanHealthCarePlan

Republican Health Care Plan = Soylent Green

March 24, 2011 at 16:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ChrisAZ

That's simple efficiency, my friend. The Soylent Green solution solves multiple problems.. no more persons lacking health insurance, no more welfare recipients, mo more food stamps, no more homeless, no more need for Social Security or Medicare, and no more soaring prices at the grocery store! It's the GOP's Ultimate Solution.. the elimination of poverty while simultaneously enriching the Koch brothers and their cronies. And, you thought Koch Foods was America's "Chicken" Specialists?! Now, if we can just figure out how to convert Soylent Green to bio-diesel we can solve the energy crisis, too!

March 24, 2011 at 16:47 | Report abuse |
  9. coastlinecascot

I actually work out deals with the DR I go to for care. I negotiate prices bases on cash. There is no way I am going to pay retail what the dr are asking when paying cash. However I have floated the idea of purchasing high deductible insurance. Last time I looked into it last year was $58/month.

I feel whats more important than health care is quality dental care. Paying out of pocket for that blows.

March 24, 2011 at 16:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Larry

Wait until you have to negotiate prices for major medical care such as cancer treatment. Even half of a few hundred thousand dollars is a lot of money to pay out of pocket.

March 24, 2011 at 18:14 | Report abuse |

Daniel B

Hello, Here is some info that may help you in your situation. I can also get you outstanding dental coverage through Delta Dental starting at $49.90.

- Agent: Daniel Berru #43864

- Phone: (661) 312-7797

- dberru.awiscard.com – Information on the health plans

August 15, 2011 at 01:36 | Report abuse |
  10. Julie Labrouste, Tacoma WA

Health-care has to be Socialistic or at least have a Socialistic option for everybody; otherwise, corporate America, with the help if its loyal GOP minions, will just keep MURDERING people that aren't making them enough money.

March 24, 2011 at 17:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Marie

I am 63 years old, worked since I was 17. Two years ago got laid off and there went my health insurance. Could not afford to pick it up on my own at $425 per month when unemployment is $250 per week in Florida. Found another job, I was lucky, but unfortunately it does not come with benefits. Let me see do I pay for my mortgage, food, gas, health insurance. Never asked for help but it sure makes me upset that we can help every country but we cannot help Americans.

March 24, 2011 at 18:06 | Report abuse | Reply

Daniel B

Hello, Here is some information that might help you in your situation: The very best to you...

- Agent: Daniel Berru #43864

- Phone: (661) 312-7797

- dberru.awiscard.com – Information on the health plans

August 15, 2011 at 01:33 | Report abuse |
  12. Larry

@browardcountyboy: "Our current health system is wonderful, except if you are part of that uninsured 17%."

Actually, it is not. Many who are insured are what's called underinsured, meaning their coverage is too poor to protect them from serious financial problems where they to face a serious medical event.

Futhermore, most people with insurance have copays, coinsurance, and deductibles, which discourage people from getting care even when they have insurance. A survey done in 2007 found that 45% of participants choose to forego one of four kinds of care because of cost, such as getting a prescription filled or going to a followup appointment.

Our system ranks poorly by a wide range of health care system performances measures, such as deaths due to treatable conditions, where we ranked last out of 19 industrialized countries in 2009.

March 24, 2011 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. crysty

21RV32 http://ueNx8wqkk3Mnd.com

July 30, 2011 at 18:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Daniel B

Hello,

- Agent: Daniel Berru #43864

- Phone: (661) 312-7797

- dberru.awiscard.com – Information on the health plans

- healthcaresavings247.com – Short 15 minute video overview about the company and its Insurance plans available to you.

August 15, 2011 at 01:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Daniel B

Very good information. Thanks very much.....

August 15, 2011 at 03:48 | Report abuse |
  15. Daniel Berru

Correction: The correct website to view the short 15 minute videp overview about the company and its Insurance plans is healthcaresavings247.com/george Sorry about the confusion there. Just add the forward slash and name george at the end. Thank you...

August 15, 2011 at 19:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. free medication help

I like the helpful info you provide to your articles. I will bookmark your blog and test once more here regularly. I'm quite certain I'll learn lots of new stuff proper here! Good luck for the next!

June 2, 2012 at 13:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. uppababy strollers

Nice blog right here! Additionally your website lots up fast! What host are you using? Can I am getting your associate link in your host? I wish my site loaded up as fast as yours lol

June 3, 2012 at 09:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. ckeefe404

So the Boston bomber and everyone else in prison get free healthcare, but we have 50 million law abiding citizens uninsured? I understand we cannot be inhumane, but how is that right?

April 28, 2013 at 11:59 | Report abuse | Reply