home
RSS
CDC: 1 in 3 adults sleep less than 7 hours
March 3rd, 2011

CDC: 1 in 3 adults sleep less than 7 hours

If you're not getting enough sleep and find yourself waking up tired on a daily basis, you're not alone. More than one-third of U.S. adults average less than 7 hours of sleep per night, according to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

That lack of sleep is causing problems during the daytime, CDC surveys found. In one survey, 38% of people said they'd unintentionally dozed off during the day at least once in the previous month. Even more alarming, 5% said they'd nodded off or had actually fallen asleep while driving.

"If you don't get enough sleep, it definitely impacts your functioning, your memory, response time. It definitely impacts your driving," says Lela McKnight-Eily, PhD, one of the authors of the report and an epidemiologist and clinical psychologist with the CDC's National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Heath Promotion.

Health.com: What's keeping you up at night?

A second survey confirmed that too little sleep often leads to mental fuzziness. Nearly one-quarter of the people who reported getting less than 7 hours had difficulty concentrating during the day, and nearly one-fifth had trouble remembering things.

Sleeping less than 7 hours can interfere with everyday tasks, "lots of things you do every day and that you take for granted," says Anne Wheaton, a postdoctoral research fellow at the CDC who co-authored the report.

Although sleep needs vary from person to person, most adults require 7 to 9 hours to feel rested, according to National Sleep Foundation guidelines cited by the CDC.

Health.com: 11 surprising health benefits of sleep

But that sweet spot is harder to come by in this day and age. Between 1985 and 2009, the percentage of people who slept less than seven hours has shot up from 23% to 35%, a striking increase that the researchers say is due in part to workforce changes and new technology—such as the smartphones and laptops that keep us connected at all hours.

Among the other notable findings in the report:

People over age 65 were more likely than younger adults to sleep 7 hours or more.

• Non-Hispanic whites (35%) were more likely than blacks (48%) to get at least 7 hours of sleep
  • People with a high-school diploma tend to get more sleep than college-educated people
  • When sleeping less than 7 hours, women are more likely than men to experience trouble with everyday activities
  • Almost half (48%) of Americans snore
  • "We need to start seeing sleep as a central part of health. It isn't a luxury," McKnight-Eily says. "[Lack of sleep] can impact day-to-day function and mortality. If you get behind the wheel of a car and haven't had adequate rest, you can have an accident."

Health.com: 7 tips for the best sleep ever

Sleep disorders—including insomnia, sleep apnea, and restless legs syndrome—are common, McKnight-Eily adds.  People who consistently feel poorly rested should consider seeing a sleep specialist to rule out a disorder, she says.

Copyright Health Magazine 2011

Post by:
    Filed under: Health.com • Sleep

1. Pilot

Does it impact me flying people around? Oh wait, I forgot money comes first before safety.

March 3, 2011 at 17:02 | Report abuse | Reply
      • College Student

I sleep when i die!!

March 3, 2011 at 19:47 | Report abuse |
      • Dave

If not you, Pilot, then the ER doctor who's been up 2 days straight.

March 3, 2011 at 20:04 | Report abuse |
      • SoundGuy

I recommend playing soft sounds of nature in the background. And then concentrate actively, that is listen carefully to the nuances and subtleties of these type of natural sounds. This will help you fall into a deep, refreshing sleep. You can get such sounds on line for example at TranscendentalTones.

March 4, 2011 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    2. ZZZZZZZ

I get like 4 hours a night and it hasn't affected.....zzzzzzzzzzzz.

March 3, 2011 at 17:04 | Report abuse | Reply
      • bam

4 to 5hours is enough unless u r are a typical fat lazy american. playing games and facebooking all day are not phyical activities that require sleep to replenish from. funny how the study doesnt mention fact about people that get 10+ hours of sleep. most likely find they are too lazy to be in a situation to remember anything to lazy to have a job etc etc

March 4, 2011 at 09:58 | Report abuse |
      • Kissimmee

Hahahaha!!

March 4, 2011 at 11:45 | Report abuse |
      • db_cooper

hey bam, your post doesn't make sense. if the typical fat lazy american plays games and facebooks all day, and those activities do not require much sleep for recovery (both premises that you introduced), then your conclusion should be that the fat lazy americans must sleep LESS, not more. Your conclusion is that 4 – 5 hours is enough, unless you are a fat, lazy american, implying that fat lazy americans must require MORE sleep. I don't know whether you are lazy or not, but being the hardest worker in the world will not do you much good if you can't think logically. Your turn to clean the toilets bam... but get me my fries first.

May 30, 2011 at 14:05 | Report abuse |
    3. Tom

How about addressing the root of the problem, work hours.

March 3, 2011 at 17:10 | Report abuse | Reply
      • @Tom

I couldn't agree with you more!

March 3, 2011 at 17:18 | Report abuse |
      • Shannon

Exactly! How are we supposed to work 9-11 hours a day, get all household/family things done and still get 7-9 hours of sleep. I would LOVE to get that much sleep- I shoot for 7 but it rarely happens.

March 3, 2011 at 17:22 | Report abuse |
      • Pilot

An airline pilots duty day can consist of up to 16 hours. So in the arilines, a pilot gets up at 7am, goes to sit at the airport for 8 hours (The max they can make you sit around). Then 5 mins before your 8 hours of sitting around comes, they call you to do a turn that doesnt start until 5 hours later. So at this point, before your turn starts, you have sat around for 13 hours. Your now expected to fly people to and then from putting you close to your max time of 16 hours. Now you may say I'm just sitting around doing nothing, but try sitting around doing nothing for 13 hours and then expect to go do your job. Now imagine that your job is the safety of 100+ people. Oh and then imagine that if you refuse to fly because your too tired, you could loose your job.

March 3, 2011 at 17:33 | Report abuse |
      • @ Shannon

You are so right! It is very difficult with the work hours and then household responsibilities when we get home. Sleep has become a luxury that many of us don't get enough of.

March 3, 2011 at 18:07 | Report abuse |
      • Grey

Exactly. Sometimes life just doesn't let us get this kind of sleep.

March 3, 2011 at 18:15 | Report abuse |
      • LW

Or.....too much TV at night. ???

March 3, 2011 at 18:18 | Report abuse |
      • SugaMartini

Tom you are a genius, I was just about to post the same thing!

March 3, 2011 at 19:21 | Report abuse |
      • Tristan

So true, except I am 14 and am a freshman in high school. Of course, everyone is big on doing after school activities as you should definitely participate. But unfortunately my sports push me back until 5:30. I then have homework from 5:30-12:00. Then, I wake up at 5:45 to catch the bus. It is ridiculous how much homework teachers give us. In fact, I do way less work in school(if any) as opposed to my homework. SOMEONE NEEDS TO SAVE US!!!!

March 3, 2011 at 19:41 | Report abuse |
      • Dave

Pilot – won't they let you sleep during the 8 hours of nothing?

March 3, 2011 at 20:06 | Report abuse |
      • Pilot

Yes you can sleep and they do provide you with a quite room. That is of course if you can sleep. You start the day fresh with good sleep the night before. It's hard for me to force myself to sleep during the day. To make it worse, sometimes your told to do an overnight in the above example instead of the turn. So you sign in for your airport standby at 7am. Your finally done at the end of the day at around 11pm. Then get this. Your required the next morning to be downstairs at the hotel van by 7am. By our FAA laws, all that is required for this crew to be "Legal" for the next day is 8 hours of rest. That "rest" includes the van ride to the hotel which can take 30 mins. If your lucky you get to your room and try to pass out in less than another 30 mins. So far you now have 7 hours of 'rest' left. Then in the morning you need enough time to shower, shave and eat some breakfast. Basically, your lucky to get 6hrs of sleep. Now your off to fly. Rinse repeat.

I cant agree with you more about the Dr. stuff Dave. I think that doctors have no restrictions because only a few lives are in their hands while 100's are in ours.

March 3, 2011 at 21:15 | Report abuse |
    4. Katie

I am more surprised that 2 out of 3 adults sleeps more than 7 hours!!! what I wouldnt give for 7 straight hours!!!

March 3, 2011 at 17:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    5. Sue

I don't think this is truly a problem. It's called hard work. 8 hours of sleep just doesn't give enough hours in the rest of the day. Martha Stewart says she gets 4 hours of sleep a night....4 HOURS!!! Even if we all did get 8 hours, I bet there would still be some nappers during the day at work/in classrooms. With a busy professional career, sometimes working in overdrive is what you need to keep up and a full night's sleep will just have to take a backseat.

March 3, 2011 at 17:22 | Report abuse | Reply
      • Funbags3

Martha Stewart only sleeps 4 hours?! Well that explains why she's so unpleasant.

March 3, 2011 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
      • bam

its called being hyper. sleep is a waste of time, u cant get stuff done. 4-5 is fine. how much sleep does the military get in combat? oh wait they are trained to perform well on less sleep. so basically everyone complaining they work too much to sleep 7 hours for several years hasnt learned to deal with it??? u get into a routine and done. no issues

March 4, 2011 at 10:03 | Report abuse |
      • db_cooper

Studies have shown that about 5% of the population can get by with 4-5 hours per night with NO KNOWN adverse consequences... think Rudy Guliani (if you read his book, 'Leadership' you will see what I mean... the guy hardly sleeps), and many other hyper-successful people. If you are one of the 5%, and also somewhat gifted intellectually, as well as have the discipline and drive to succeed at something, then you have an unbeatable advantage over the other 95% of us, can rise to the heights of Martha Stewart the ex-con. She probably got more work done in jail than most of us can do in freedom.

My point is, don't use that 5% as an example, because most of us can't do that. If I try to get by on 4 hours per night, after a week I will crash, and no alarm will wake me up... I'd pay for it just a little down the road. Don't think others are lazy or weak, just because they can't do what the most successful famous people or business people can do. It's illogical to compare apples to oranges. Neo-cons & libertarians (i.e. ayn rand followers) should recognize this. I'd like to ask the poster of this comment whether YOU get by on 4 hours... and I don't just mean during the week... I mean week after week, month after month, year after year, with no adverse health consequences? If so, then you are wasting your life posting on websites... you could be taking advantage of this and becoming another famous magnate of some sort.

May 30, 2011 at 14:17 | Report abuse |
    6. Chris

Every individual is just that... an individual. the "AVERAGE" recommended daily amount of sleep is 7-8 hours. There are people out there, myself being one, that don't need that much.
      I exercise daily, never feel tired during the day, don't get sick or catch colds, and I average between 5 and 6 hours a night at the most. Have for a long time.

March 3, 2011 at 17:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    7. big4

how else can you u reach 90% utilization lol

March 3, 2011 at 17:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    8. Julie Labrouste

And if, or rather when, we're more openly and officially enslaved by corporate America and it's minion, the U.S. government then we will be Borg...or Soylent Green.

March 3, 2011 at 17:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    9. E.P. Sato

What a joke. Instead of focusing on the reality (which is that most of us need that extra time taken out of our sleep schedules to function), these folks keep saying "you need sleep". Hogwash.

What we need is for someone to invent something (drug, mattress, device, whatever) that makes it so our bodies require less sleep. Sleep is lame. Seriously. We can get people on the moon but we can't figure out how to make it so people can utilize all 24 hours of the day?!?

Caffeine isn't a solution because it's temporary. Eventually the body needs to sleep. But imagine if some machine or a super mattress, SOMETHING, could make it possible to get a full night's rest in one hour.

That's what the CDC and all these publicly funded scientists need to be researching. Why bother spending millions of $$$'s just to tell us something we all already know?

March 3, 2011 at 17:38 | Report abuse | Reply
      • Ian

Yikes, I think you really do NEED some sleep, goodness....

March 3, 2011 at 17:53 | Report abuse |
      • Scott

I agree completely. I would love feeling good and not having to waste my time sleeping. I hate to sleep. I only sleep when I can't stay awake any longer, and I'm certainly not happy about it, or looking forward to it.

March 3, 2011 at 18:11 | Report abuse |
      • LW

Yeah...let's figure out how not to sleep OR eat, so we can get more done. HA! Sorry.....the body is just made that way.

March 3, 2011 at 18:19 | Report abuse |
      • Elexsor

The body needs to sleep in order to repair, recharge, learn from the days experiences, and store information from the day.

March 3, 2011 at 18:33 | Report abuse |
      • bam

i think u want the dolphin whale solution, sleep half the brain till the phone rings. all the LEGALIZE it drug addicts do this 24/7 in spaced out paranoia hazed looks

March 4, 2011 at 10:06 | Report abuse |
      • db_cooper

E.P.: sorry, but take it up with God... he made us this way. I suppose you think pooping and peeing is lame too. Why doesn't someone invent a way to keep us from having to do those things too.

Bam: please learn engrish before postinng again... your syntax is is truly awful. Your logic is pretty lame too, so please learn some of that too. A good introduction to logic course in any university philosophy department would help.

May 30, 2011 at 14:22 | Report abuse |
    10. nancy

I think the problem is that it's so difficult to fall sleep, at least for me it takes me 2 hours to fall sleep so if I take away those 2 hours from my 8 hours, in reality I am sleeping only 6 hours. I don't work, but my kids go to school very early and with the house the cooking and driving the kids to their activities the day goes quite fast. Night is the only mommy time. The speed of life in this country is super fast, if if you don't catch up you stay behind.

March 3, 2011 at 17:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    11. Annunaki

I get 7-8 hours of sleep at night AND work 10-11 hour days without a lunch or lunch break. The best antidote for sleeping is a tempurpedic mattress...sleep undisturbed and like a baby. What keeps me going through the day are the morons that I work with – constantly correcting mistakes of other "professionals" keeps the adrenaline pumping all day long.

March 3, 2011 at 17:47 | Report abuse | Reply
      • db_cooper

this message brought to you by the people who make and sell the tempurpedic mattress.

May 30, 2011 at 14:26 | Report abuse |
    12. Sleeper

All of you whining about how busy your lives are and can't get enough sleep make me laugh. Not that all of you are this way, but if you are so limited on time what are you doing not only reading not vital "news" and commenting them? My guess is you will probably come back 2 or 3 times to see what people have said about your comments.

Turn off the TV, quit Facebook, and exercise more. Simple. I did all this and I sleep 8hrs every night! I have an active social life and work anywhere between 40 and 60 hrs a week. Granted I don't have children but no one said you have to either. I feel for parents doing everything for their kids, but if they get 8hrs so can you. I know then you don't get your "mommy or daddy time" but you gave up that right when you wanted children.

March 3, 2011 at 18:01 | Report abuse | Reply
      • db_cooper

i agree with the first part, but the second part is not right... having kids doesn't mean you "gave up the right" for mommy & daddy time... some discipline for those kids, and not just going with your feelings and giving them what they want, will reduce a lot of the stress and the time it takes away from you, and mommy and daddy can have dates and s*x on the weekends, even many years into their marriage.

May 30, 2011 at 14:30 | Report abuse |
    13. mew4meow

wow 7 hours! if i'm in bed more than 4-5 hours, i feel sluggish and useless the next day. i do take two or three 10 minute "time outs" over the course of the day; i don't nap but i clear all the junk out of my mind.

March 3, 2011 at 18:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    14. GS

and how we suppose to get 8hrs of Sleep? i rather work half day saturday and work 6 hrs a day! (i know it doesnt add up..just wishing)

March 3, 2011 at 18:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    15. Yes!

Ain't nowhere in the bible says you need 8 hours of sleep at night.

March 3, 2011 at 18:16 | Report abuse | Reply
      • db_cooper

dumba*s bible-thumper.

May 30, 2011 at 14:30 | Report abuse |
    16. Native American

Those of you who are bashing the need for sleep: Are you nuts? We spend an entire third of our lives asleep, and if you stayed awake long enough it would kill you. You might as well try to make food and air unnecessary while you're at it. We're not machines. Deal with it.

March 3, 2011 at 18:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    17. Nuclear Navy

What's even better than driving an hour to work on just 4 hours sleep? Running a nuclear reactor for 8 straight hours on just as "much" sleep (if we're lucky). At least reactors aren't dangerous or anything.

March 3, 2011 at 18:25 | Report abuse | Reply
      • really?

Really? Shouldn't you be like pilots and have mandatory sleep??

March 3, 2011 at 19:20 | Report abuse |
    18. Guest

"Sleep disorders—including insomnia, sleep apnea, and restless legs syndrome—are common"
      No mention of the biggest sleep disorder of all: KIDS.

March 3, 2011 at 18:33 | Report abuse | Reply
      • db_cooper

no need to mention kids... they are common as well... in spite of the culture of death (i.e. planned parenthood the eugenicists)

May 30, 2011 at 14:32 | Report abuse |
    19. WakeUP

All of you people sound like mindless robots to me. Brainwashed by corporate America and complacent being simple cogs in an inevitably useless machine, perpetuating towards nothingness.. What is it that you are achieving, wasting all these hours 'working' while sleepwalking through your lives. Instead you should all: Sleep more, live more, work less.
      If you can't understand that you are all wasting your lives away working towards your meaningless purposes, then I have nothing to teach you, and you are lost.

March 3, 2011 at 18:36 | Report abuse | Reply
      • umwhat

So, how's that retirement nest egg of your's coming along?

March 3, 2011 at 18:58 | Report abuse |
      • Nissan

WakeUP – we have to keep working so our tax dollars can feed those people who won't work.

March 4, 2011 at 09:36 | Report abuse |
      • Jen

Amen brother. People who waste their good years to save money for their sick years are really buying into it. Yes, save some money for retirement- invest it well- be smart. But these folks working 50-70 hours a week make me sad. Relax and realize you only have one life on the planet-make it a good one.

March 4, 2011 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
      • Skinny

I didn't realize monasteries had internet access?

March 4, 2011 at 14:44 | Report abuse |
      • db_cooper

The problem is spending... people buy crap they don't really need... because they consume media, which brainnwashes them into buying it. The zombie part comes in on the consumption side. Stop thinking that you are free when you allows others to coax those dollars out of your wallet... you might as well hand it to the street thug on the corner and slit your own throat. Spend less, turn off the bube tube, exercise more (don't need to join a stupid gym!), go diesel (i get 52+ mpg overall), walk as much as you can, drive as little as possible, live near work if you can, eat healthy, grow your own veggies, vacation frugally... stop WANTING and DESIRING things so much. Learn to LOVE PEOPLE and USE THINGS... not the other way around.

p.s. monks work as hard as, or harder than, most other people.

May 30, 2011 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
    20. big bird

wht abt 5 hrs of gd zzz Vs 7 hrs of forced to sleep?

March 3, 2011 at 18:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    21. Cleveland Jim

7 hours of sleep is a pipe dream, I often work 16 hour days, sometimes several weeks or months in a row. I just wake up 5 hours later and climb up the tree with a chainsaw hanging from my harness and hope I don't die.

March 3, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
      • db_cooper

time to go back to school, Jim.

May 30, 2011 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    22. Chips Handon

if people would stop blathering about nonsense on 35-page-long cnn.com religion blog comment threads, maybe they'd get more sleep...

just food for thought, yo.

March 3, 2011 at 18:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    23. lmew

I wake up several times a night with my arms flailing. It's very frustrating.

March 3, 2011 at 19:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    24. amj33tx

I get 7hr a night, work a full time job (9-10hr/day), and have a toddler. We choose to maybe not always have our house spotless, live close to where we work, sometimes order take out, and instead of watching TV since we don't own one we do other things like clean, pay bills, etc to have time to wind down at the end and get the sleep we need. My husband may stay up later, but I just go to bed.

March 3, 2011 at 19:08 | Report abuse | Reply
      • DR.

This is a very good option! I know a few people who keep their TV in their garage... just in case... but it's not in the house and not turned on. They have a very FULL life and wonderfully happy children (4 & 6) and another family (2 & 5). Amazing how turning off and tuning in can allow for a healthy life, with sleep included! Also, one of the mom's has RLS and even though there are nights, she still gets sleep on the nights the RLS doesn't act up.

March 4, 2011 at 09:52 | Report abuse |
    25. manju

Worth reading this article.

March 3, 2011 at 19:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    26. E. Bonita

"Non-Hispanic whites (35%) were more likely than blacks (48%) to get at least 7 hours of sleep."

HUH?? Is it just me or does that make no sense? Unless the percentages refer to the people do DON'T get at least 7 hours?

March 3, 2011 at 19:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    27. Grinder

Marijuana DOES help insomnia

March 3, 2011 at 19:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    28. BM

What is sleep???

March 3, 2011 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    29. BrokenFan

I don't understand why these Statistics are still made...

Non-Hispanic whites (35%) were more likely than blacks (48%) to get at least 7 hours of sleep (B<W)

When sleeping less than 7 hours, women are more likely than men to experience trouble with everyday activities (W<M)

March 3, 2011 at 20:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    30. Amazed

I was in major chain store and the cashier was almost asleep maybe mid forties or even could have been thirty, I smiled and asked her why she does not have a rest if she was tired, a forced smile I work 2 jobs 7 days a week I have bill's to pay you know was her reply, this is a slave at work I thought a slave the fool I am I thought slavery was done with no my dear friends merely repackaged in the form of bill's, no rest!!!! so remember with out the most valuable thing of all Breath you have nothing not even bill's take time sleep and enjoy life just a little bit it makes a difference no matter what you may think.

March 3, 2011 at 20:45 | Report abuse | Reply
      • kwcplz

?? i think u need some sleep

March 4, 2011 at 11:04 | Report abuse |
    31. guest

@Tristan,

It was the exact same way when I was a freshman in highschool back in the 90's... You do nothing all day in class, then get loaded up with homework at night... Dont worry, you will get through it, we all did...

March 4, 2011 at 08:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    32. Nissan

LOL! We're supposed to be dedicated to our jobs, spend quality time with out spouses, be a model parent to our kids, drive safely, drink 8 glasses of water, exercise 30 minutes, have 3 servings of vegetables, enrich our lives by continuing to learn by earning a Masters degree, give back to our community, AND get 8 – 9 hours of sleep....all in one day? I'm sorry, but with cell phones being so popular, there are no longer any phone booths where I can change into my cape and tights!

March 4, 2011 at 08:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    33. Curt

I left a job because they didn't respect the fact that people need to sleep,eat and use the bathroom on a daily basis. I would work a 20 hours shift, and be expected to be back at work 4 hours later to work a 12 hour shift.

March 4, 2011 at 09:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    34. Blt

Whizz up people!?!?!?!?!?!?!

March 4, 2011 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    35. DR.

Your story on "Sunday Manifesto" is right on target! I've been in "computers" since 1976. At home I realized about 10 years ago that I needed to turn off the technology and turn on the talking... face to face! Reconnect to REAL life! I'm in my late 40's. My granddaughter keeps her cell phone on and her friends text all night long. She's 13, in 7th grade & been doing this for years. She wonders why she's always tired, then eats during the day to keep her energy level up. So many people don't get enough sleep, eat for energy... and we wonder why we have obesity problems. Turn it off! Go for a walk, smell the air, see the flowers, listen to the birds.

March 4, 2011 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    36. Chris

Significantly reduce the amount of time spent on cellphones and wifi devices.. The explosion in EMF radiation is impacting sleep and health for many. If you live within 400m of a cell tower (or several), move.

March 4, 2011 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    37. Carolae

I don't agree that a person needs 7-8 hours of sleep a night. I'm 72 and go to bed around 9P unless we have company or we are out, and get up around 5:30-6A. Or course, during that period, I am up and down a few times during the night and have a hard time falling asleep. I must get around 3-4 hours of full sleep and am not tired when I get up or during the day. We live in a Del Webb active adult community and we are up at the clubhouse every day playing our card games/outdoor sports. I have never been one to sleep more than 4-5 hours, even when I was young.....I have too much nervous energy. I am one that has to be on the go all the time. If people are tired during the day after 7-8 hours of sleep, there is something else wrong with them.

March 4, 2011 at 09:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    38. KC

For years, I slept two hours a night due to pain waking me up. Doctors insisted that because I spent 10-12 hours in bed, I didn't need sleeping pills, I was "sleeping too much", because they couldn't grasp the concept that I spent most of that time TRYING to sleep, not actually sleeping. Lost my job for falling asleep, and they STILL didn't get it, telling me I had to stop being "too lazy to work", and accusing me of quitting my job because I wanted alimony (you can't get alimony after the divorce is finalized, but I guess doctors know the law better than a lawyer). When I finally got a doctor who listened to me, instead of assuming that women don't want to work, women lie to get alimony, etc., I started sleeping 5-6 hours a night; the pain pills buy me that much, but don't last 8 hours.

March 4, 2011 at 10:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    39. John

Americans should stop being workaholics !!!!

March 4, 2011 at 10:51 | Report abuse | Reply
      • CFS Facts

I'm not a workaholic; I have a chronic pain condition. Tonight, I slept from 12:30 AM to 1:15 AM - that's right, 45 minutes - and haven't been able to get back to sleep since. Any sleeping pill that's strong enough to put me to sleep leaves me too doped up to work the next day; the most recent one worked about half the time, and left me lethargic for 18 hours. If I took it at bedtime, it just started to wear off around dinnertime so I could do a couple hours work in the evening. (Fortunately, I'm self-employed, so I can work whatever hours I want.)

The one before that worked about 1 night out of 3, and caused me to gain 30 pounds in 3 months (one of the side effects of many prescriptions is weight gain). Doubly not good.

March 6, 2011 at 06:08 | Report abuse |
    40. Monkeybutter

ZZZZzzzzzzzz.....

March 4, 2011 at 11:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    41. Salad

Time to crank up the windows, blast the heat, and turn on the lullaby channel.

March 4, 2011 at 11:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    42. bluemacaw

Gee.......employment is down and production is at it's highest. I wonder why everyone is so tired?

March 4, 2011 at 11:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    43. Skinny

For those "wishing" they could get more sleep and calling those that do "lazy"... try slowing down and not letting western society dictate what is *so* urgent that you *must* fill your waking hours with it. Unless you're working 16 hour days, day in and out (which some do), you have more than enough time in 24 hours to get 7 hours of sleep – but only if you make it a priority. If you let TV or Facebook or some other distraction eat into that time, well then, that's your problem, not someone else's. Don't try telling everyone you don't have enough time – I have 2 young kids and work 2 jobs – but I still prioritize sleep so that I ensure I get enough. My mood and health are grateful.

March 4, 2011 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    44. Stinker

I let a stinker & felt better. Butt it stunk. : ]

March 5, 2011 at 03:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    45. Sleep Ear Plugs

More and more individuals are suffering with sleep problems. One solution to sleeping peacefully are ear plugs. They help keep the sound out and allow you to sleep comfortably.

To learn about which sleep ear plugs are best for you, visit http://www.sleepearplugs.org

March 6, 2011 at 01:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    46. Ian Hammer

Getting less than 7 hours of sleep should not be considered optional. I see so many people who think they can adequately survive on less than 7 hours of sleep a night but it is clear they can't. I see people who exercise every day and eat well but they can't understand why they are still overweight. It then turns out that they sleep 4 hours a night. A recent US National Health & Examination survey found that 6 hour sleepers are 23% more likely to be obese than 7 to 8 hour sleepers. This rises to 50% in 5 hours sleepers and 73% in 4 hours sleepers. Add in other studies that saw a 2.5x increase in the risk of developing diabetes and a 2x greater risk of dying of heart disease and suddenly little sleep looks foolish. If you want to know the facts as well as hints and tips on barriers and contributors to then take a look at a new website (sleepknow). Proper facts with scientific backing. All the best.

March 8, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply