home
RSS
'The King's Speech' a victory for stutterers
February 28th, 2011

'The King's Speech' a victory for stutterers

"The King's Speech," which took home four Academy Awards including best picture, made important strides for the stuttering community, organizations dedicated to spreading awareness say.

Sunday's awards ceremony was "an eloquently golden night for people who stutter," said Jane Fraser, president of the Stuttering Foundation of America, in a statement.

"The real winners tonight, however, are people who stutter, especially those who require the courage of a king to cope with stuttering on a daily basis," she said.

Screenwriter David Seidler, a child stutterer himself, said upon accepting the Oscar for best original screenplay, "I accept this on behalf of all the stutterers throughout the world. We have a voice. We have been heard, thanks to you the Academy."

The film hits close to home for many people who have struggled with stuttering.

Research research suggests that stuttering may have something to do with problems in brain areas related to motor control.

1. Pat from Madison

This is not just a victory for those who stutter. It is a victory for acceptance of all disabilities. The movie depicts a very good man with one terribly difficult deficit – he couldn't spe.ak clearly – but that did not diminish him. He fought to be heard. He served his country at tremendoust costs to himself. He was loving and loved. He was a wonderful father, the king that his country needed when his brother selfishly ducked his responsibilities – oh and yes....he stuttered.
    We can all learn from this story. We are so much more than our deficits. We need not be perfect people to make a contribution....to be loving and to be loved. We just have to do the difficult work of overcoming our disabilities to the best of our abilities. King George never became a confident public speaker, but it never stopped him from meeting his responsibilities which is more than you can say for his "normal" brother.

February 28, 2011 at 18:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. OvernOut

Pat, your first sentences are almost word for word what my teen (who happens to have epilepsy) said today. She said you could trade out the stuttering for any other disability, and the results would be just as positive. I am so glad that this story has finally been told.

February 28, 2011 at 20:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Maria

I have not seen this movie. Is it a true story? If so, who is it based on?

March 1, 2011 at 00:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bruce

let me google that for you..........

March 1, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse |
    • Lee

Maria, it is "Based on a tre sotry" about King George VI – pretty sure it was the 6th.

March 1, 2011 at 12:45 | Report abuse |
    • Lee

Sorry, spell checker divorced me many years ago {sigh} Sad remenents of being an IT guy for so long.

March 1, 2011 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
  4. Maria

Never mind. Just found an article that explains it is about King George VI. Might have to see this movie.

March 1, 2011 at 00:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Rilee

I strongly recommend this movie. Not a chick flick at all. Anyone who appreciates history and a story of a leader finding courage during a very scary time in Europe with his disability will enjoy this movie. Well deserved Oscar win.

March 1, 2011 at 01:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. RightRurnClyde

When the big movie of the year is about a speech disorder and its treatment it has NOT been a banner year in Hollywood. Gone with the Wind? How the West Was Won? Not this year. Gone are the movie attractions like Jean Simmons, Audrey Hepburn, Peck, Jimmy Stewart, Gary Cooper. Now you have drugged out rehab patients (Lohan, Sheen, Spears) making junk. Not enough personal integrity to drive a car safely. Not talent, no screen writers (special effects), poor directing, break even releases that will never be seen again. Junk. You Tube makes better videos and has more talent.

March 1, 2011 at 04:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob, Virginia

What do drugged out rehab patients have to do with The King's Speech? Do you have ADD?

March 1, 2011 at 09:02 | Report abuse |
    • JDAR123

Those that you mentioned (Lohan, Sheen, and Spears) have nothing to do with any of the movies that were nominated for an Oscar this year. Those that were involved have a large amount of respect for themselves and also their careers. This is why the Academy Awards are known as the night of the year in Hollywood. Each one of the winners held themselves to a higher standard and possessed class, poise, and dignity. While these movies are not instant classics I'm sure they will be in the future. All of these actors, directors, and writers are very talented.

But if you do not agree, you should probably just stick with YouTube videos.

March 1, 2011 at 09:39 | Report abuse |
    • Don'tJudgeABook

I have a feeling you did not see "The King's Speech." The acting was amazing, and it was very enjoyable to watch. I don't like most movies, but this one was worth it, and I can see why it won.

March 2, 2011 at 03:26 | Report abuse |
  7. Blueduck101

A victory over whom?

March 1, 2011 at 08:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • T3chsupport

Adversity?

March 1, 2011 at 11:02 | Report abuse |
  8. Jack Jackel

I I I ssttiill dddiidn't find this moovie iinnsterting, I thought was borrring.

March 1, 2011 at 12:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Don'tJudgeABook

That's because you clearly have not grown up yet.

March 2, 2011 at 03:27 | Report abuse |
  9. Kim

Having finally overcome a severe childhood stutter at about age 13...I can completely identify with the stress and ridicule that was portrayed in this movie. I can remember dreading having to speak for any reason...and the embarassment when I couldn't was almost crippling. The moment where the King begins to realize that with practice and some techniques overcome his problem...brought tears to my eyes and allowed me to fondly remember my on speech therapist. I don't remember her name...but I thank her everytime I can speak without stuttering. Great movie...well deserved Best Picture win.

March 1, 2011 at 12:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Lee

Had a friend who was an extreme stutterer. We called hi "Bear as he was that big, but he was a gentle as a "Teddy bear." He and I became great friends to the point he asked me to slap him whenever he stuttered. Are you kidding me? I instead, tapped under his chin with my fingers each time he faltered...worked after awhile, whenever I was around him. 10, 15 years later, it's a rare occassion that he does. Others would laugh and mock him. That too stopped when he would deck them. As I said...Bear was his name

March 1, 2011 at 12:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. sunless

see that http://www.SUPERSONIC.US.COM

March 1, 2011 at 13:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Judy Kuster

The movie has done more to raise awareness about stuttering than most ever even hoped for! For those who seek more information about stuttering, the best major resources on the Internet for information and support for stuttering are:
    Stuttering Foundation (http://www.stutteringhelp.org),
    National Stuttering Association (http://westutter.org),
    FRIENDS: The National Association of Children Who Stutter (http://www.friendswhostutter.org/),
    British Stammering Association (http://www.stammering.org), and
    The Stuttering Home Page (http://www.mnsu.edu/comdis/kuster/stutter.html)

March 1, 2011 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Julie R

If you are a young person who stutters or know one, or if you are an SLP or grad student and would like to learn more about working with children/teens who stutter then you should check out a new program which combines therapy, recreation and hands-on learning: Camp Shout Out: http://www.campshoutout.org It a great organization with a fantastic mission and program planned.

March 4, 2011 at 06:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Steve Sivalingam

I am a stutter myself and it was only after undergoing speech therapy in my 20s that I managed to control my stuttering. Before then I was the subject of many jokes, which was mainly due to people's lack of understanding of this condition. It's just great that a movie like this could raise public awareness on stuttering.

Steve Sivalingam