home
RSS
Study: Average of 26 children hurt by cribs every day
February 16th, 2011

Study: Average of 26 children hurt by cribs every day

A baby's crib is often one of the few places where parents can place their child and feel OK leaving the baby unattended. It's the focal point of most nurseries, a must-have item on many baby registries. Yet an average of 26 children suffer a crib-related injury every day, according to a new study in the journal Pediatrics.

"The most significant findings for me was the number of injuries," said Dr. Gary A. Smith, lead author of the study and director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital.  "I didn't expect to see 9,500 children a year treated in emergency departments for crib-related injuries."

Smith said his team is the first to investigate how many fatal and non-fatal injuries young children suffer from cribs, bassinets, and playpens. Using data collected by the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, they found that from 1990 to 2008, there were more than 181,000 children under the age of 2 taken to emergency departments around the country for injuries related to at least one of the nursery products. Falling was the most common cause for injury and 83% of the total injuries suffered came from cribs.

"Children are top-heavy," explained Smith. "When children start to lean out over the top of a rail of a crib, they will topple forward."

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, the federal agency tasked with insuring consumer products do not pose a risk to public health, has advocated for safer cribs for many years. According to the agency, more than 11 million cribs, playpens, or bassinets have been recalled since 2007 and recently the CPSC  announced a voluntary recall of approximately 500,000 bassinets. Although the study found a statistically significant decrease in the rate of crib-related injuries over the 19-year study period, both Smith and the agency say more can be done to make cribs and other sleep environments safer.

In a written statement to CNN, the CPSC wrote that it "will continue to address the issues raised by the respected authors of this study" and this year plans to "use the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act and our Safe Sleep team to establish new and improved safety standards for toddler beds and bassinets and recall products that can pose a danger to children in their nursery."

Parents concerned about the safety of their child's crib can get additional information on nursery safety from the Center for Injury Research and Policy here.  A fact sheet is available here.

1. hillcrester

House Speaker Bonehead says, "If preventing the nanny state kills a couple of dozen kids a year, so be it."

February 16, 2011 at 19:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bb01

So? He is right...

February 16, 2011 at 19:35 | Report abuse |
    • rh

And use of the cribs is not an issue. It's the cribs, let's blame the cribs. Probably the same people who say guns aren't to blame for Tucson and VA Tech, but they blame cribs.

February 16, 2011 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
    • chris

I can agree with this line of thinking. No reason a few should ruin it for all.

February 17, 2011 at 08:46 | Report abuse |
    • bam

how many kids a day are injured by palin stupid parents?

February 17, 2011 at 09:48 | Report abuse |
    • Andtheyputusoutofbusiness

The cpsc put our small family business Out Of Business. In twenty five years we did have two very tragic events with our Cozy Crib Tents. The product has been vilified the truth in each instance it was grossly misused . The big picture though is we saved tens of thousands of injuries and prevented many deaths . We have thousands of families writing us for crib tents but the cpsc has basically stolen our business. Now more and more preventable tragedies .

April 11, 2013 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
  2. T3chsupport

I bet way more babies than that get hurt on the stairs every day. Or their fingers caught in doors. Babies do all sorts of stuff. That really doesn't seem like that many crib injuries per day, considering how many babies there are... and how many babies I know that eventually learn to crawl out and go adventuring... down a few stairs, and into a cabinet or a paper bag or something. Babies can be tricky, and it's a dangerous world. So I think that's a pretty low number.

February 16, 2011 at 20:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • galfridus73

It doesn't seem like that many? Did you do the math? It's 8,760 per year.

Does that number make you wake up a bit more?

Babies can handle a fall from a height that is, roughly, their own length. So my 8-moth-old son, who is 26.5", should be able to survive a two foot fall with no real issues (maybe bruise or two... that fall would still have us taking him to the ER, though).

If he were to fall from his crib, then we would be dealing with a much larger fall, and potentially fatal.

So, no, any number of babies who are injured from crib falls is too many. Now, I agree with the others – the crib itself is not to blame. This is a parent education issue. Most cribs have mattresses that should be lowered once the baby is pulling themselves up and out. It just means the parents need to learn how to use the things in their house.

February 17, 2011 at 07:32 | Report abuse |
    • chris

@angiehodge you can think it is all you want but thats a small number. You people are the reason this country is becoming a "nanny" state. Watch ya kids.....PLAIN AND SIMPLE. BE RESPONSIBLE. How did they live and function in the 1800's? Everything works out the way it should so stop fighting the natural.

February 17, 2011 at 08:48 | Report abuse |
    • Jessica

How'd they function in the 1800s? They died! LOL

February 17, 2011 at 10:18 | Report abuse |
    • Kallen to Galfridus73

I don't think its the cribs fault. Its the fault of the irresponsible parents who aren't watching their children. Thats the wake up call bub.

February 17, 2011 at 14:51 | Report abuse |
  3. Denise

Two important things. Once a child is able to crawl out of the crib it is time to graduate to a big kid bed. Also, while bumper pads are cute they pose a suffication threat. Babies can roll and get their heads stuck between the pad and the railings of the crib - so, pass on the bumper pads once baby is able to roll. http://www.myrealbirthstory.com

February 16, 2011 at 20:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • whit

No kidding. There are even SIDS prevention "breathable" bumpers out there! They can be "cute" some other way.

Ideally, they should move out of the crib Before they are able to climb out. It's like daring them to do it.

February 16, 2011 at 22:04 | Report abuse |
    • Kay

Nicely stated, Denise. As soon as your baby is standing in their crib, it is time for it to go. Don't worry about them falling out or crawling out of their toddler bed since it is less than a foot off the floor – it really is a safer bed for your mobile baby. Turn on the monitor and go fetch em when they wake up!
      I was teased for moving my lil guy quickly to his toddler bed and then on to a real big boy bed (he was in a queen size bed at 2 years old) but he was happy, safe and very comfortable.
      Kay

February 17, 2011 at 13:12 | Report abuse |
  4. rh

And it's the cribs that hurt babies, not the parents being ignorant of how to use cribs correctly.

My daughter was 6 months old and could pull herself up, so we bought a crib tent. Amazing, she didn't fall out...

February 16, 2011 at 21:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cpw789

Most crib tents are not made to keep the baby in ,but to keep pets out. In some cases the tents have led to strangulation because the babies stand and somehow manage to get their head trapped.

February 17, 2011 at 08:48 | Report abuse |
    • Russell

Agreed. If your baby can pull themselves up, then it's time to lower the crib so the top is over their heads, or find something else, safer, for them to sleep in.

February 17, 2011 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
  5. whit

it just went against our common sense to leave a kid in a crib when they've long outgrown it. convenince isn't the same as safe. would be curious to know statistics on toddler beds. ours was in a toddler bed months before age 2. It was not only medically necessary for mom, but it's not nearly as far to the floor and the transition was smooth (that's not the case for everybody, but we were prepared to work on it due to... common sense).

February 16, 2011 at 22:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Tammy

Somehow this seems so trivial and useless really, when u have parents duct taping their toddler to a chair in the "justice" section news articles...and the guilty parent only receives child endangerment charges.. Wake up America!

February 16, 2011 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Kelly

We co sleep with our 8 month old son, on a mattress on the floor of our childproof bedroom. I tried using the crib as a playpen and he'd fall backwards and hit his head on the side if the crib. We deemed cribs unsafe a couple months ago.

February 16, 2011 at 23:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Futbol Czarina

Permanent co-sleeping with your baby will lead to other issues down the road. It's not an ideal nightly solution.

February 17, 2011 at 11:05 | Report abuse |
    • frank

"co sleep' - that sounds sick. You live in CA, dont you?

February 17, 2011 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
    • opheliaout5

How is co-sleeping "sick?" Where do you think kids sleep in most other countries (other than the U.S. and Europe)? My husband is from India, I'm from the U.S. Whenever we visit India, it's always assumed that kids will be sleeping with us, not somewhere else. Cribs are fairly rare and family beds are the norm. Surprisingly, SIDS is virtually unheard of there. And, if you do a google search of cot death or SIDS in India, the location of the child is rarely if ever included as a contributing factor. I wish that people could just accept that parenting is very individual and that, other than things involving safety, raising a baby involves a number of choices specific to that baby and that family that are, by nature, neither good nor bad.

For what it's worth, my kids both started out in their own beds. But when my son started needing albuterol in the middle of the night at 8 months, he was quickly welcomed into our bed so we could keep him breathing. Then when I breastfed my daughter and became more adept at doing so lying down, she also was welcome into our bed so I could sleep and feed simultaneously without being a zombie at work. Both sleep happily in their own rooms now – my boy is almost 5 and daughter is 15 months, and they stay in their rooms all night without any sleep battles. I would highly recommend co-sleeping as an option to parents who have young children with sleep issues.

I felt extremely fortunate to have a practical and compassionate pediatrician. She was actually the one who recommended we co-sleep with both children.

February 17, 2011 at 12:26 | Report abuse |
  8. Mike Ferrara

Meritorious lawsuits force manufacturers to make products safer. Only the most heartless among us can be against that. We must hold wrongdoers personally responsible for the harm they cause.

February 16, 2011 at 23:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. horace

I believe that mfrs of infant products deliberately have product recalls to stifle the second hand market for baby gear. Just about every second product my wife found had a recall on it. When we called to find out about the recall, we found it was typically relaly minor stuff.

February 17, 2011 at 06:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hoosier gal

I worked in the crib industry for many years. Believe me, the quality of cribs decreased drastically when the global economy took off! We used manufacture them in the US but now they are all imported and believe me, the cost may be lower, but the quality just isnt there. Cheap wood, cheap labor, minimal safety standards...I mean, who is going to check that all the cribs we import meet our safety standards...it's just not possible!

February 17, 2011 at 10:15 | Report abuse |
  10. Sara

When some parents leave their children in cribs instead of interacting with them, anything can and will happen... and the bigger the baby, the higher the chance of them trying to climb out or reach out to bring other things in. It's just like the recent baby monitor recall: in what universe is ANY cord or string safe near a child? Common sense and attentiveness... both free, both essential.

February 17, 2011 at 06:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dom625

I completely agree with you on this one. I find that recalling baby monitors for having cords is ludicrous and uncalled for! What self-respecting parent would place a corded object within easy reach of a baby in the first place?

And the same principle applies to the recall of the blinds and Roman shades. Millions were recalled because they were deemed "unsafe" since the strings and cords had a possibility of strangling young kids. Never mind the fact that blinds and shades come with bright orange warning stickers and have warning labels printed on every other page of the installation manual. Let's just recall all of them!

February 17, 2011 at 10:31 | Report abuse |
  11. Quincey9

"26 kids hurt by cribs every day". The parents of those 26 kids need to be more careful. How the heck did they have so many kids anywho?

February 17, 2011 at 07:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. CLEAT

AND YET WE ALL MANAGED TO SOMEHOW SURVIVE.....I blame parents and money grubbing lawyers looking for the $$$

February 17, 2011 at 07:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LEMomma

Only those who survive are here to say "see! we made it. what's the problem".

February 17, 2011 at 09:40 | Report abuse |
  13. Tony

Ok, you can all blame the parents, that's easy. I'm not saying there aren't bad parents but just think for a moment. I am a nurse and my wife is a teacher. We love our daughter to pieces. She is 17 months and still has to be in a crib. She can walk pretty good now. The other night I heard a thud and then crying. I ran into the nursery and she was walking on the floor crying. She had fallen out of her crib. I am extremely cautious about having the crib at the right height. We are good parents so are we to blame that our daughter fell out of her crib when I followed all the safety guidelines? Kids are top heavy. It's basic anatomy. So before you start blaming all of us parents just stop and think about what you are saying for just a minute.

February 17, 2011 at 07:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LEMomma

Babies use items inside the crib to step on like pillows, the crib bumper, and stuffed animals. Did you remove all these things once she could stand up? If not, it is your fault.

February 17, 2011 at 09:49 | Report abuse |
    • Ryan

Here' a thought. Take the kid out of the crib and put her in a toddler bed.

February 17, 2011 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
    • dom625

Why is it that she "has" to be in a crib? It seems to me that if she is pulling herself up and climbing/falling out, it's time for a real bed!

February 17, 2011 at 10:32 | Report abuse |
    • A. Goodwin

Safety guidelines actually state (if you read MOST manufacturer's warranty's) to discontinue using a crib if the child can stand OR at 15 months. So yes, you can blame yourself for your child's fall. Try putting your kiddo in a twin bed on the floor – push one side against the wall, and use a bedrail for the other side. Max fall: maybe 1.5 feet.

February 17, 2011 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
  14. Heather G.

Make your adult bed a safe place to sleep for your baby and sleep with him/her. If that means rearranging your bedroom, putting kiddie mesh guardrails on your adult bed, removing pillows, etc. that's fine. Sleeping with your baby promotes sounder sleep for both parents and the baby. It is safe if done properly. Your baby will be more secure as well.

February 17, 2011 at 08:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A. Goodwin

Heather – Very brave post (anti co-sleepers will certainly give you some lip). I too co-sleep – I have two children, one of which has epilepsy and has nighttime seizures. We've been sleeping with him since day #1 (he is now 6) – and I wouldn't change things for the world! We have one big "family bed" – two queens pushed together and both mattresses on the floor. We are one of the only civilized countries on earth that do not co-sleep. And the info. on SIDS is bunk in regards to this. Google Dr. James McKenna of the Notre Dame Sleep Center – it will put your mind at ease that you are doing the right thing.

February 17, 2011 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • mslman71

You only think your baby is safe because no one is reporting the number of children injured "co-sleeping." Ignorance is bliss.

I'd rather have my toenails pulled out in a vat of molten salt than co-sleep with our children, and have no desire to ween them of the habit or explain the situation to their buddies who ultimately will want to sleep over down the road. Personally I find cosleeping to be a bit selfish on the part of the parents past a certain point, but to each his own.

February 17, 2011 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
    • Dez

Co-sleeping is the way to go! My daughter is a happier, healthier baby because of it. We never even considered buying a crib. I would not be able to sleep with her so far away!

And, like all things you do in childhood, she will outgrow it. Until then, I am the happiest mama in the world waking up to slobbery kisses from my little girl.

February 17, 2011 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
  15. tdil

I wonder how many kids are hurt by concrete sidewalks every day? I still have scars! Who can I sue?

February 17, 2011 at 08:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Futbol Czarina

Can't use logic to fight frivolous lawsuits and hyper-vigilent nanny state. Now, let me count the scars on my legs...

February 17, 2011 at 11:06 | Report abuse |
  16. Pronghorn

I bet those same 26 kids are getting pretty tired of being hurt everyday too.

February 17, 2011 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. tired_mom

Do NOT leave babies in cribs to play! There are playards for that purpose. Even in those, babies should be constantly watched over!

February 17, 2011 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. NewYorker in NJ

So what they are saying is that the siderails need to be higher. Couple that with the fact that drop-sides are already outlawed, now you how are short parents going to reach their child in the crib? A crane? Now that should not pose a problem at all... :)
    Seriously, people, stop with the law suits and start taking care of your children! A very active child may need a crib tent – not every 2yr old is ready for a toddler bed – that has potentially worse implications. And co-sleeping is a nice idea but not really practical for everyone. No, you have to know your child and be aware of his/her capabilities and temperament and take appropriate precautions. Child safety starts and ends with the parents!!! (Oh yeah, I would know – I have four!).

February 17, 2011 at 09:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Shelly

"A crane?" Haha! Good post, NY!

February 17, 2011 at 10:07 | Report abuse |
    • D

Exactly – I am short and it's a struggle to reach my child because she is so deep in the crib now! She falls asleep on me at night and transferring her into her crib without waking her has become impossible after lowering the mattress. A drop-side would have helped tremendously. Instead I practically have to throw myself into the crib when I try to place her in it. A crane would be most helpful, but I'm betting there are other dangerous implications there :).

February 17, 2011 at 10:21 | Report abuse |
    • opheliaout5

I totally agree with this. Getting my daughter in and out of a crib was such a pain, and she thrashed around so much she'd slam into the sides anyway. So we moved her to a full-size mattress on the floor of her room when she was 13 months old and baby proofed the heck out of it (the room, that is) and put a gate at the end of the hall. She's 15 months now and sleeps through the night reliably and comes straight to our room when she wakes up. It's perfect – no need to hoist a sleepy baby over the side of a crib, and when she's sick, one of us can just sleep with her so we all get more rest.

February 17, 2011 at 12:36 | Report abuse |
  19. guy

Even one is too many!!!!!!

February 17, 2011 at 09:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. audrey

cribs must be used safely under moms supervision also the type of mattress you choose makes a difference pick a good organic one http://www.ecohappybaby.com

February 17, 2011 at 09:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. LEMomma

Surely we can design a safer baby bed. Also, I'm annoyed by the new mothers choosing their baby stuff because it's cute and not thinking critically about the dangers.

February 17, 2011 at 09:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Erik

Wow, there are risks in life... who knew?!

Seriously though, how do you people wake up in the morning?

February 17, 2011 at 09:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Shelly

I raised two boys using a crib until they were each well past a year of age. We also used...GASP!...a walker! Neither the crib nor the walker injured my children. Did they get injured during their toddler and childhood years in other ways? Of course. They fell off bikes. Should we ban bikes? They fell out of trees? Should we ban trees? Safety is a wonderful thing and parents need to use commonsense when raising kids. Yes, make cribs as safe as possible, but you simply canNOT blame crib makers for a baby falling out of a crib. You have to lay blame where blame is due: on the parents and the baby. The tree did not kick my kid out onto the ground. He fell. Neither did the crib push the baby onto the floor.

February 17, 2011 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dan

Amen. What ever happened to common sense in this country? If your baby can stand, put them in a toddler bed. Learn to THINK, lemmings.

February 17, 2011 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
  24. Chris

how many babies die a each year from parents sleeping and suffocating them?

February 17, 2011 at 10:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A. Goodwin

Far less than you think. In fact, more babies die from SIDS in their own beds than sleeping in their parents. We are one of the only nations on earth that promotes a baby sleeping on another room. Funny how all other countries have far less rates of SIDS and GASP – they co-sleep. Google Dr. James McKenna (Notre Dame Sleep Center) before making statements where statistics are NOT on your side.

February 17, 2011 at 10:53 | Report abuse |
    • Homer

Don't know. If the kid is in bed with me, I can't sleep. So it's not really co-sleeping.

February 17, 2011 at 12:18 | Report abuse |
    • Dee

Good question. I researched this issue when I was pregnant. Very, very few children are suffocated by the parents cosleeping with them. It usually only happens if the parents are impaired by drugs and/or alcohol. And SIDS risk is actually lowest if very young babies are in the room with the parents, because sometimes the parents are alerted that something is "off" with the baby and can intervene with babies with health issues like sleep apnea.
      The bigger danger with cosleeping is falling off an adult bed. If you put a pillow there to protect them from the edge (once they can roll, that is) a young baby could suffocate against the pillow. I imagine that's why some parents have posted about putting their mattress on the floor to co-sleep.

November 26, 2011 at 23:19 | Report abuse |
  25. Walker

Velcro. Velcro baby suits and beds. Sure the baby can't move and it will stunt their development but then we can have them completely still. We can even put them on a shelf next to our glass figurine collection...

Babies get hurt because they just don't know better (not like you can teach a 8 month old to not do something just by saying so 100 times – trust me I have one). Cribs aren't perfect but you can't just leave a baby in one awake, unattended and expect nothing to happen.

February 17, 2011 at 10:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. hoosier gal

February 17, 2011 at 10:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. FridayNight

If there were really a serious problem with cribs in general this number would be much much higher. It's the parents that refuse to drop the mattress to the lowest level when their kid gets a few months old because they don't want to bend over so far to pick them up. Or they aren't checking the hardware regularly to ensure all the nuts and bolts are still screwed in tightly, or they're leaving too many bulky blankets or a bumper in the crib so the kid can stack them, climb up on them and topple out or they refuse to put the kid in a toddler bed at the appropriate developmental age. A crib isn't for time out or a place where you can just leave a baby unattended, it's for sleeping, only so when the kid wakes up and isn't going back to sleep it's probably a good idea to take them out of the crib and pay attention to them.

February 17, 2011 at 10:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dee

Sorry, but the recalls indicate lots of problems with poor crib construction, not just absentee parenting. Slats have been too far apart and trapped the baby's head. Sometimes slats give way when an older baby repeatedly pulls on them, kicks them, etc. IKEA had cribs recalled because the bolts holding the mattress frame together were slightly too large and would give way only as the baby got heavier and more active and stressed the frame. The crib could be perfectly assembled by good, attentive parents, and still fall to the floor in the middle of the night – some of these issues are not within the parent's control, and we should be able to expect workmanship that's decent enough we don't have to inspect every single screw each day for flaws.
      Sometimes bad things happen, and it's no one's fault, you know. Hard to accept, maybe, but true – sometimes an accident is just an accident. And why is everyone assuming that the injuries are happening when the parents are awake and just ignoring the baby? Most babies move during the night and some wake up several times during the night as part of their normal sleep cycle. Babies can get hurt even if they have wonderful loving parents sleeping in the same room or another one.

November 26, 2011 at 23:27 | Report abuse |
  28. mommadoc

Parents should be well informed about the risks of cribs and place their children in the safest place. Most of the children in the world do not sleep in cribs, they sleep in beds with their families. And since more babies nurse than bottle feed, they sleep right next to their mom and wake up to nurse and go back to sleep without a fuss. Many families who have the money for cribs and nurseries still choose to have their babies right next to them. Babies are born so vulnerable, it seems counterintuitive to put them in rooms by themselves to sleep. Anthroplologists have estimated that if humans heads were not so big due to our large brains, that we would stay in the womb for another 9 months to develop to full term. But since this would make for an impossible birth expereince, we are born almost "premature" as compared to other mammals. If you do the research, it is safer for a baby to be in a family bed with a parent who does not smoke, use drugs or alcohol and is not obese. If any of these factors exist, it is safer to put their baby in a crib. We have had family beds with both our children, better termed co-sleeping, mom and baby, and we have never had an accident or injury while sleeping. Our mattress has to be on the floor in our "master suite", it may look funnny, but who cares, our babies are healthy, happy, and safe. And I have had much better nights sleeping than most of my friends who use cribs.

February 17, 2011 at 10:46 | Report abuse | Reply
    • A. Goodwin

100% completely agree! At work I get to hear the complaints of those parents with sleepness nights...who were up X amount of times tending to children. Meanwhile, I sleep snug and cozy next to mine. The only time we're up is when the kiddos are sick...otherwise, both kids sleep fantastically. Two queen beds (pushed together) on the floor is our family bed. When they are ready, they can move into their own bedrooms. For now, I get to soak up all the cuddles and sleep like a charm.

February 17, 2011 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
  29. Supervlad

When Cribs are outlawed only Outlaws will own Cribs!

February 17, 2011 at 10:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. seriously

i have twins...they never co-slept (other than illness) and slept fine every night...there were the occasional sleepless nights but that is a given....children belong in their crib in there room...good luck when the child is older and you want your room back...ok to co-sleep when baby is 1 or 2...not good when child is 15....have fun.

February 17, 2011 at 12:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mommadoc

Children that co-sleep leave when they are ready and rarely come back unless they are sick. Studies have shown that children who co-sleep have better self-esteem and are more secure. We are not designed to sleep alone. Why would a baby enjoy being seperated from his mom after being in her womb for 9 months? If you are interested in learning the facts about co-sleeping, read Good Nights by Dr. Jay Gordon and Attatchment Parenting by Katie Allison Granju. Either way it must work for the entire family. If co-sleeping does not work then a crib is the best choice for that family and vice versa.

February 17, 2011 at 16:45 | Report abuse |
  31. VA_Jill

Cribs must not be made like they used to be. My kids all slept in drop-side cribs and we never had a problem. When your kid can climb out, either get a toddler bed or do what we did and put the mattress on the floor and gate the door. That's what we did. Mine would sometimes get up in the middle of the night, play quietly for a bit, then climb right back on the mattress and go back to sleep.

February 17, 2011 at 14:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. KC_in_CA

I know how we can prevent these injuries... ban all cribs. Then babies and toddlers can't get hurt in them! Of course, those same babies and toddlers will now have free, unrestricted access to the rest of the room and possibly the rest of the house. Hmmm... I know! All children must be kept in locked padded rooms with no furniture to climb on, no closet rods to swing from, no toys to choke on at all times. All clothing must be one piece jumpers with velcro "snaps" only. No blankets or stuffed animals are allowed. If an irresponsible parent removes them from the room to take the shopping, DCS should be called at once and the child should be removed from the home. After all, over 21,000 kids were hurt in shopping carts last year – most of them from idiot parents putting the kid in the basket and the kid then falling out.

Sheesh! Kids get hurt. Yes, it's terribly sad. Yes, it's horrible when it is YOUR kid. But parents have to learn to parent and part of that is realizing that life is full of risk. You make your choice, you take your chances.

February 17, 2011 at 14:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Rebecca

People get hurt, so it makes sense that babies will get hurt too. There's really no way to make anything perfectly baby-proof.

26 babies getting injured a day isn't as dramatic as it sounds. How many times have any of us gone to the ER with cuts, burns, etc. as kids? What about car accidents? While yes, any injury is bad, the fact is, if you want to live a fulfilling life, there's going to be risk. If you want to lock yourself up in a padded room where no one can infect you and you just sit there and rock yourself for entertainment, well...

February 17, 2011 at 14:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. I miss drop sides!

I bet more people than that are hurt by cars every day. Let's ban cars.

February 17, 2011 at 14:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. gkingii

This is not a crib problem. It's a parenting problem.

February 17, 2011 at 15:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. joan

Where is my comment? Oh, there is no freedom of speech at CNN.

February 17, 2011 at 15:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. joan

Vac-cinations hurt more babies than cribs.

February 17, 2011 at 15:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. joan

SIDS is often caused by vac-cines, but the doctors and BIG Pharma won't admit it. Protect your babies.

February 17, 2011 at 16:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. RC

I am just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction. My son is 15 months old and 33" tall. He stands in his crib quite often but has not ever tried to crawl out. It is not that I think he won't but he has not tried yet. He is a tall boy and reading this article has made me a little concerned that he could fall out if he did try to lean forward. I am honestly just looking for opinions on when he should be moved into his toddler bed. His crib is a convertible one so the one side comes off and a side rail goes on. My husband and I have not really thought about this because it is not something we saw as an issue. We have never co slept with him except on 1 occasion when he was very sick, and well that was a long night with very little sleeping all around. He is a very good sleeper so I am not really concerned about him wandering around at night, but I think that is where I am hesitant. What if he does. Some kind words of encouragment would be appreciated.

February 17, 2011 at 17:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ophelia5

My opinion would be to do what works for you. If the crib is still working for you and your child, absolutely use it unless your pediatrician disagrees. If it stops working, try the toddler bed.

My only other advice would be to take what other people say (myself included) with a grain of salt. Listen to whatever advice you get, use what works, toss out what doesn't or what goes against your grain. Unless you're causing harm to your child, parenting shouldn't be controversial. But that's just some stranger's opinion. It sounds like you're doing great.

February 17, 2011 at 22:55 | Report abuse |
    • KC_in_CA

If his room is fairly safe, you can switch him to a toddler bed. How you feel about that will depend on how much of a dare devil he is... Do you think he will try to climb the dresser, jump off the changing table, swing on anything hanging in the closet? Are the cords on the window coverings safe? Are there toys in his room that will encourage him to get out of bed and play instead of sleep? Are those toys age appropriate (no small or sharp parts)?

My daughter started trying to climb out of her crib at 10 months and was quite the dare devil. There was no way in heck I was letting my tiny climber have free run of the room so I had to find a way to keep her in the crib safely. We ended up using a crib tent and it worked wonderfullyl for us.

February 18, 2011 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
  40. Morning Sunshine Joy to the world

As nice as co-sleeping sounds, I can't get over the thought that the baby will suffocate somehow. It DOES happen. And then you have to wonder if it would not have happened if the baby was in a crib next to your bed. I know there is a tiny possibility of SIDs anyway, but then you can't blame yourself for rolling over onto the baby. Everyone should make the choice they feel best about and research it as much as possible. I don't judge others' choice, as long as it's reasonable.

February 18, 2011 at 02:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Bob

Notice how the article doesn't ever mention the severity of the injuries or the actual cause. So if a child to trips over a toy and bonks their head on the crib during the fall, they've just had a "crib related injury."

A much more relevant stat would be the number of kids that are killed or injured permanently by cribs.

Also, let's eliminate all injuries that are due to improper parenting. I.E. drop-side cribs that aren't "closed" properly or even just cribs that aren't assembled properly in the first place. What about infants that are just learning to crawl? I've seen several young children start to pull themselves up using tables or couches, only to tumble back down with a minor thud. Would a kid using their crib for this purpose count among your stats?

March 2, 2011 at 17:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Onesies

Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you really know what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Please additionally discuss with my website =). We may have a link change agreement among us

April 5, 2012 at 00:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. baby crib

Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. This is a very well written article. I will be sure to bookmark it and come back to learn extra of your helpful information. Thank you for the post. I'll certainly comeback.

September 6, 2012 at 16:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. www.employmentebooks.com

For example, if a dieter enters an extreme weight goal,
    the number of calories in a certain weight of food.

People go for crash dieting unhealthy in order to preserve their muscle tissue during a weight loss clinic or doctor's office that offers HCG shots now have access to the drastic weight loss results.

August 5, 2013 at 20:07 | Report abuse | Reply