home
RSS
CDC: Almost 26 million Americans have diabetes
January 26th, 2011

CDC: Almost 26 million Americans have diabetes

Almost 26 million Americans older than age 20 have diabetes and more than a quarter or 7 million do not know they have the disease, according to estimates released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday.

In addition, more than one-third of adults in the United States (35%) are believed to have what's called "prediabetes," which means their blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not high enough to be considered diabetic.

Diabetes was the seventh-leading cause of death in 2007.  People with diabetes are at increased risk for heart disease and stroke, high blood pressure, blindness, kidney disease and amputations.

Got diabetes? How well are you managing it?

Almost all diabetics (at least 90%) have type 2 diabetes, which is usually linked to older age, obesity, family history of diabetes, previous history of gestational diabetes, physical inactivity.  About 80%  of people with type 2 diabetes are overweight, according to the National Institutes of Health.

People who have type 1 diabetes cannot reverse their disease because their pancreas doesn't produce insulin because their immune system destroys the insulin-producing cells in the organ.

People who have type 2 diabetes usually have a pancreas that can produce enough insulin, but for some unknown reasons, according to the NIH, the body cannot use the insulin effectively,  a condition called insulin resistance.  After several years of this, the body's insulin production decreases.

But those with prediabetes can do something to prevent further illness. "We know that a structured lifestyle program that includes losing weight and increasing physical activity can prevent or delay type 2 diabetes." says Ann Albright, the CDC's director of the division of Diabetes Translation in a press release.

Prediabetes raises the risk of a person getting type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke. (Normal fasting blood sugar levels should be below 100 – anything between 100 and 125 is considered prediabetes and if your blood sugar level is 125 or higher, you're considered to be diabetic)

According to this new CDC data, half of all Americans over the age of 65 are prediabetic and 27% have diabetes. Minorities are still at higher risk compared with Caucasians: 16 % of American Indians/Alaska Natives, more than 12% of African-Americans and nearly 12% of Hispanic adults now have diabetes, compared with a little more than 8% of Asian-Americans and 7% of non-Hispanic whites.

Just 2 years ago, the CDC estimated nearly 24 million Americans had diabetes and 57 million were prediabetic.

The CDC estimates tab for treating diabetes as well as lost work, premature death, to be $174 billion in 2007.

Editor's Note: For a comprehensive look at the diabetes epidemic in the United States and what can be done to reverse type 2 diabetes, tune in to "Sanjay Gupta MD," this Saturday and Sunday at 7:30 a.m. ET on CNN.

1. AmyLynn

These are the Stats that the BILLIONAIRE DIabetes drug makers Love to Push to you NOT THE CURE

Diabetes has been reversed in now 10 countires by a Danish filmmaker but the Billionaire drug makers(Big Pharma) hide this from the people just google SPIRIT HAPPY DIET

January 26, 2011 at 14:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

Shooo, snake oil salesman, shoo!

January 26, 2011 at 18:06 | Report abuse |
    • Willowspring

Could you please give more information? I was diagnosed at 69 after an extended round of prednisone, however I was probably prediabetic and did not know it, even though I have always kept up with Dr. appts etc. I take oral medication and use insulin injections, so I am very interested in any info available from the Danish film maker. I understand age is a risk factor, but I also have extended family members, six to be exact, that are diabetic. Two of my children in their 40s have been diagnosed. Another child was at risk as a child, none were overweight. Diabetes is on both sides of the the family, so the genetics are hard to beat.

January 26, 2011 at 21:21 | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

There's no money in a cure. There's huge money in maintenance drugs that keep you from dying and allow you to function and pay the bills, including the bill for prescription drugs.

January 27, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse |
    • Ken

After reading many of the responses, it's sad what people believe and the misinformation that's spread. No wonder things are messed up in this country.

Me – have a son with type 1. I'm type 2 diagnosed at 50 & not overweight. Father, uncles, aunt, grandma – all type 2 none overweight.

January 27, 2011 at 09:06 | Report abuse |
    • Luke

Hi,

I'm the lead healthcare analyst at a major Wall Street firm and I have 100% disagree with you. I almost say that your opinion is reprehensible and dangerous to people that might agree with your nonsensical opinion. This is a major disease and to say that drug companies are making up the facts is not only a misrepresentation of the facts, but also dangerous to socity. Also, if you took the time to read the article, you would notice that the CDC released the facts, not Pfizer, Bristol Myers or Eli Lilly.

January 27, 2011 at 09:25 | Report abuse |
  2. Jennie

My daughter was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, I used the "granny" method for healing and she no longer has to take insulin. Someone really need to re-research the CDC diabetes research department. About 80% of diabetics are all overweight, majority of this country is overweight. Come up with something else or a more creative way to swindle money from the taxpayer (yes taxpayer, that how you're funded) to cook a good defense why they should not can the entire diabetes department over at the CDC.

January 26, 2011 at 17:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mike

I nominate you to head to the new CDC "Diabetes Department." You obviously sound like the most qualified person for the job. Heck, maybe even "Granny" could become a lead investigator. If she has trouble getting grants, she can always do a bake sale to fund her research.

January 26, 2011 at 18:09 | Report abuse |
    • SouthernCelt

One of the things I have learned since being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes is that every pancreas is different just as every person is different and unique.The other thing I have noticed is that I have had the same blood sugar level for 40 years but only in the last 5 years have I been considered diabetic. I am no more overweight than anyone else in the US (almost everyone could stand to lose 20 pounds) and I go to the gym every day barring injury. "Thanks" to my ancestors I was born with this and a thirst for Scottish Independence(Alba go Bragh!). This "disease" is genetic in me so it is not reversible in me or others like me. Every one is different. Remember that when making sweeping generalizations next time.

January 26, 2011 at 20:43 | Report abuse |
    • Luke

Your mistrust of hardened science is dangerous to your family's health and your opinion is even more dangerous to society's. I hereby nominate you to head the diseases reserach team at the CDC. I expect a full report presented to the President by the end of the year.

January 27, 2011 at 09:29 | Report abuse |
  3. Bill

This is one of the dumbest comments I've read. You do not explain what the 'granny method ' is and then you call for the elimination of research on diabetes at the CDC. Why? Maybe you know all there is to know about diabetes but millions of people do not. The fact that one of three Americans are pre-diabetic is horrible, people need to be made aware that their weight and sedentary lifestyle might cause them to become diabetic. What's wrong with that?

January 26, 2011 at 17:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willowspring

Even an active person can be diabetic. See my previous post as (Willowspring) a response to Amylynn. I am not overweight and several of my family that are diabetic are not overweight either. There is a genetic link that can overcome even the healthiest eater and active person.

January 26, 2011 at 21:26 | Report abuse |
    • JLS639

Well, nobody can really say she is wrong if she does not say anything specific, can they? Of course, many type 2 diabetics who are horrible at the normal lifestyle management treatments for type 2 don't take insulin because it stops doing any good for them. So... we know the kid had to stop taking insulin but we know nothing about her blood sugar, triglycerides or anything else. Now Jennie can sit at home feeling superior and still feel mystified why people don't take what she says seriously.

January 27, 2011 at 07:45 | Report abuse |
  4. A. Nony

I've watched several friends cure themselves of diabetes to the point where they do not need any diabetic drugs. They ate less and exercised more. That's all it took. As a bonus, they could stop taking meds for high blood pressure. As another bonus, they are full of energy and joie de vivre. Of course, willpower and intelligence help. Face it, most (NOT ALL) diabetics are fat, lazy and not very bright.

January 26, 2011 at 18:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SouthernCelt

It is highly unlikely that 26 Million people are "Fat, Lazy, and not very bright". Maybe that describes your friends, but that is an insult to me and the 26 million others like me.

January 26, 2011 at 20:48 | Report abuse |
    • Willowspring

This is enough to make a person mad. There are several comments that allude to diabetics being overweight. I know that can be the case, but these blanket statements are unjust and narrow minded as well as discriminatory. The statements perpetuate the "profile" that is so painful to diabetics.

January 26, 2011 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • Luke

SouthernCelt – Nope, actually you are incorrect. Obesity is a leading cause – not the only – of diabetes. This is a fact and not something you can argue.

January 27, 2011 at 09:30 | Report abuse |
    • Rosalie

My Husband was injured in an accident 35 years ago , his spleen and a piece of his pancreas was removed . he has been type 2 diabetic for five years , at the age of 58 he still cross country dirt bike races , some of these races cover 90 miles of treacherous country so as you can guess not only is he not fat , he's almost solid muscle , must eat a very balanced diet to maintain his strength and endurance but must still take a handful of meds so that his arteries will not fill with plaque , have brain or eye bleeds ( leading to stroke or blindness ) loss of limbs , damage to ALL internal organs . His blood sugar readings are almost always perfect but the disease continues it's distraction until it is to late . Yes by all means loose weight , eat well and exercise but that does not always mean cured !

May 1, 2012 at 20:49 | Report abuse |
  5. uhuhreally

Cure 95% of the diabetics in the U.S.A. right now. Eat right, exercise, and loose weight. No drugs needed. duh...

January 26, 2011 at 18:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willowspring

Please see the above comments by Willowspring and Southern Celt.

January 26, 2011 at 21:32 | Report abuse |
    • decision factor

Which is exactly why the poster said "95%". You might be tired of hearing "exercise and diet" because it doesn't apply to you, but that doesn't change the science or the statistics. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/preventionprogram/

January 27, 2011 at 08:47 | Report abuse |
    • Name*Rhonda

Amen to that!

January 27, 2011 at 16:20 | Report abuse |
  6. RandDMaven

First, as a researcher, there is currently no way to "cure" diabetes with drugs or diet. Diabetes is a disease state that can be treated with drugs, diet, and exercise (or some combination, thereof). You are not cured. Gain the weight back or change the diet and the disease reappears. Pharma companies aren't trying to steal from you, there is no simple drug cure.

Secondly, the obesity observed in Type II diabetics is part of the disease state. It is incredibly difficult for these people to lose weight. In addition, current drugs tend to cause weight gain as a side effect. Type II diabetes with obesity is a complex hormone imbalance. The disease should really be called "insulin resistance" and the signs are diabetes and obesity.

January 26, 2011 at 19:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Willowspring

Thank you. At last, a voice from someone with not only compassion, but also real knowledge. Diabetes is rampant in my family and they are not all overweight, although some are. Genetics can't always be thwarted. It is a difficult disease to control and it can completely change one's life.

January 26, 2011 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
    • Codifex Maximus

I read that Insulin is necessary for the production of fat. Without Insulin, the body does not produce fat. There are two modes that cells operate in – a "feast" mode where Insulin is used to get sugar into the cells for metabolization/fat production and a "famine" mode where fat is broken down for energy and the cells begin to use internally stored cellular energy.

Now, is it possible that with Type II diabetics, the insulin is performing it's duty of creating fat but not working so good at powering the cells?

January 27, 2011 at 03:25 | Report abuse |
  7. Melissa

Maybe whoever wrote how to cure 95% of diabetes comment should go back and read the article again. It clearly says 10% are type 1. We did not get this disease from being fat and lazy. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease. And I am sick and tired of America thinking I am a diabetic because I was lazy or ate to much. I didn't CHOSE this, but millions of people have. Maybe these fat, lazy people should have the same motivation I have. When I was 5, and already a diabetic, I got to see my grandmas half amputated foot all bandaged up as she sat in a wheel chair in a nursing home.That image, to this day, scares me to death. It is my constant motivation to keep my blood sugar in check and eat right.

January 26, 2011 at 19:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cat

(sigh)
      I hear you on this one. Over and over again I've heard judgmental people telling me if I'd just "focus" and do better with my diet and exercise, I wouldn't have diabetes anymore. Ah, wrong–Type 1 isn't going away, ever. I am actually working as hard as I can with it, but the weight loss is slow, and if I don't get the ratio of insulin to exercise to carbs right I end up with blood sugars high as the moon, or lows that force me to take glucose tablets to keep from blacking out. That's always been the problem, as I struggle with the "brittle" variety, and the fears you have are ones I carry, too. But I also try to balance the fear with a healthy respect for how comfortable my life feels during those times when I can achieve some balance, and I try to focus more on these times as they remind me why it's important I keep struggling.

January 26, 2011 at 20:32 | Report abuse |
    • Willowspring

My husband's grandmother lost her leg to diabetes and shortly after lost her life. My grandfather was diabetic and there are six in my family with the disease including myself, (diagnosed at 69). Genetics and the other auto immune problems I deal with are not conquered yet and won't be in my lifetime.

January 26, 2011 at 21:43 | Report abuse |
    • Galadika

I know what you mean. I'm 25, and when people find out I'm diabetic they say "But you're not fat or old." People don't think about that fact that kids with juvenile diabetes grow up to be adults with diabetes. I just hope my kids don't get it too.

January 26, 2011 at 22:07 | Report abuse |
  8. Chelsea

I'm upset that this article doesn't point out that type 1 isn't preventable and is an autoimmune deficiency. I have type 1 and I'm a perfectly healthy 18 year old person; not all diabetes is caused from being old and over eating.

January 27, 2011 at 00:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Sandy

The "prediabetes" diagnosis is a crock. My doctor's office called to tell me I had prediabetes and had to take immediate steps or I would definitely develop diabetes. The blood sugar reading that caused this horrified reaction? 102, when 99 and below is considered normal. Several years later I am older and fatter and my tests show not that I've developed diabetes, but that my blood sugar is now 99, so I no longer rate the extreme reaction. Could we please just treat people who are actually sick and stop making up almost-illnesses which do nothing but inflate the statistics and make problems seem worse than they are?

January 27, 2011 at 01:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Juicy

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetice Dec 3rd 2010 it runs in the family overweight with high blood pressure my diet has been changed and i excercise frequently and the weight is coming off but some days its hard to eat good(healthy)and move my body im still getting use to the major changes in my life family and friends are there for me so that helps me to keep pushing forward to a better health majorly.

January 27, 2011 at 01:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lola

A few times over the years I have had non-fasting blood panels done where the lab tech erroneously included the blood sugar test on the list. So my blood sugar stats were wrong (though still low, in my case). This makes me wonder how common it is for the test to be done on patients who have not fasted, or who have "cheated" on their fasts. If it was common enough, it could skew the stats.

That being said, I have a sibling with Type 2 diabetes and gout. It's a terrible loop to get trapped in.

January 27, 2011 at 02:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fred Hahn

Lola – Adopting a low carb diet help your sibling tremendously. No grains or starches for starters.

January 27, 2011 at 10:14 | Report abuse |
  12. LEB

I have on occasion tested in the "pre-diabetic" range during routine bloodwork, and I'm far from being overweight. I'm about 5'4" and 118 lbs, and have never gotten above 125 in my life. It is true that MOST Type II diabetics have a weight problem, but skinny people aren't safe from this illness just because they're skinny. A good diet and regular exercise are important for everyone.

January 27, 2011 at 02:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Al

Go on a fruit diet. There was no prevalence of cancer/diabetes before 'industrialized' food became the norm. Humans are originally 'fruiterians' as can be seen by the digestive mechanism and mouth structure. Ride a bike or walk rather than taking the car. Riding a bike gets u there with no money spent, saves fuel, gives you the exercise-All in one. Coke/Pepsi is better used for car battery cleaning than drinking. Given that its 10,000 times acidic compared to water, the body needs calcium to balance the acidicity and where does it take it from, your bones-arthritis and weak bones. Today's food in packets/bottled/canned are not natural and are full of chemicals and we wonder why we're getting cancer, diabetes and heart disease. Its simple basic common sense. Eat what the earth gives you not what the factory churns out.

January 27, 2011 at 07:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fred Hahn

Al – Fruits are carbohydrates and loaded with fructose. Not a good idea for diabetics as diabetes is a condition of carbohydrate intolerance.

January 27, 2011 at 10:13 | Report abuse |
  14. T115

many of you need to be reminded that TYPE 2 can be potentially reversed....there is no cure. it's a LIFESTYLE change that you have to change for the REST OF YOUR LIFE. I've been a type 1 for 15 years (diagnosed at my 13th birthday, what a nice gift, huh?) and honestly, im sick of all the whiny type 2s out there who don't take control of their disease and turn it around. my father is one of those whiny ones and it ticks me off to no end that he actually has the balls to complain about having to take a PILL everyday. oh, im sorry, that you have to take a pill to make yourself feel better. or you could just eat less and exercise more and then you wouldn't HAVE to take the pill. if only i could be so lucky.... i just get to give myself injections for the rest of my life....i don't even GET the option of pills, less food or exercise (although they are shoved down my throat at any chance the docs get). the type 2s should REALLY be thankful for what they have

January 27, 2011 at 08:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Fred Hahn

T115 – Seriously consider a very low carb diet. You'll need far less insulin and meds. Check out http://www.nmsociety.org But tell your doctor first if you decide to go low carb.

January 27, 2011 at 10:11 | Report abuse |
  15. John Q. Citizen

Doesn't everyone know that type II diabetes is a direct result of Agent Orange exposure in Vietnam! Oh, wait, that's just the BS excuse that some veterans use to get money from the governement. I, for one, love the fact that we are compensating people for being old and fat because some scientists somehere said that Vietnam vets are more statisticly likely to have type II diabetes, so it must have been caused by Agent Orange. As a result, hundreds of millions of tax-free dollars each year are distributed so that the old/fat vets, many of whom merely touched their foot to Vietnamese soil for a moment, can continue their unhealthy lifestyles at the expense of the tax-paying public.

January 27, 2011 at 08:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Maxx

Wow...Some of the comments I've read here can only be responded to with amazement. The comments of the mis-informed and those that might paint with a broad brush neglect to understand this disease does not fit ALL he same way. The point I took from the article is that NEARLY 10% OOF THE AMERICAN POPULATION HAS BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH A CHRONIC DESEASE!!! My son was diagnosed at 10 years old with juvenile diabetes. A good diet, sports every day, good body weight can not over come the genetic triggers to the autoimmune system preventing insulin production ine pancreas.

January 27, 2011 at 08:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Leo

Maxx, in case you didn't notice, they're talking about the startling increase in type-2 diabetes, not type-1. They're two VERY different diseases. Nobody with two brain cells to rub together would blame your son for his condition. I feel bad for him that some people are dumb enough to lump type-1 with type-2. I have a couple of friends with type-1, and they're very frustrated with people who are so clueless about their condition and who make assumptions. People with type-1 did nothing to cause their own condition, and could have done nothing to prevent it. If the immune system attacks the pancreas, then there's nothing that can be done except treatment at that point.

But no, this article isn't about type-1. It's about how the poor health habits of our nation have created what could be called a crisis with this many people giving themselves a disease that's preventable (type-2), and how the trend is expected to continue. And the rest of us will end up paying for it.

January 27, 2011 at 09:41 | Report abuse |
  17. liz

Can someone explain to me how after your boss drops group coverage, and you are on a high deductible plan. you are diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, you go to the gym 5 days a week, you spend 3 months working part time, are you supposed to afford to test your blood sugar?

January 27, 2011 at 08:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Quizzle

Through the public option - oh sorry, Republicans nixed it. There is still the hope of the insurance exchange, and repeal of adult pre-existing conditions clauses, in 3 years. Of course, by then you might have met your deductible.

January 27, 2011 at 09:38 | Report abuse |
    • Fred Hahn

Liz – exercise is not that important. What is best is to cut the carbs to virtually zero save for non-starchy veggies. If one adopts this way of eating – high fat, adequate protein and low carb – T2D is virtually "cured." In fact it works so well that if you are a diabetic, DO NOT attempt this healthy way of eating without telling your doctor as she will have to LOWER your meds first.

January 27, 2011 at 10:08 | Report abuse |
    • Quizzle

Your options in the U.S. "best in the world":
      a) Develop a relationship with a rich man.
      b) Get fired or laid off from your job, so you can qualify for Medicaid. Having a baby may also be necessary to qualify in some states.
      c) Run your debt up as high as you can stand, and then declare bankruptcy.
      d) Move to a country with a more sensible, socialized medical care system.

January 27, 2011 at 10:18 | Report abuse |
  18. Rubicon

A sizable amount of the cause might be "intentional trace poisoning”. Al mentioned Coke and Pepsi, which phosphoric acid that makes you thirsty. Hawaiian Punch has propylene glycol that makes you thirsty. There is a growing trend among soft drinks to include ingredients that have no other obvious purpose than to compel you to consume more of them and in larger amounts, they would be certified poison.

Many commercial fast foods have M.S.G. and other poisons that make you hungry, but soft drinks are more convenient and cheaper to produce so they are likely to remain a major contributor to the diabetic pandemic.

January 27, 2011 at 08:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. RichG

The cure for most people is to stop eating like pigs!

January 27, 2011 at 08:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. shnitzel

wow

January 27, 2011 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Leo

I have a few friends who have Type 1. That's an auto-immune disease, folks. They're all fairly thin. None of them can do ANYTHING to reverse it. They all have to take insulin for the rest of their lives. And every single one of them is sick to death of being bunched together with type-2 folks, and slapped with the stigma that it's "their fault" they're diabetic.

Here's the run-down. We KNOW that some type-2 folks simply got screwed by their genetics. I HAVE known a couple of type-2 folks who were not overweight, and who were fairly active. However, the vast majority of type-2 diabetics DID IT TO THEMSELVES. My father-in-law is a nice guy, but at the age of 59, he's horribly obese, can't walk from one end of the house to the other, has had two heart attacks, and is insulin-dependent type-2. I know how he got there – physical laziness and you should see the HORRIBLE food he eats. The man did it to himself. And that's the case with almost every type-2 diabetic I've ever seen.

Even a person who has a genetic predisposition to developing insulin intolerance will almost completely mitigate their risk of developing a real problem by eating right and getting adequate exercise. And yes, I know that some people have other conditions that make them more prone to being overweight. And there ARE a few unlucky folks who have diseases (thyroid, hormone, etc.) that make it almost impossible to lose weight. But MOST people don't fall into that category. And MOST people could improve their health greatly with proper diet and adequate exercise.

There are socio-political reasons behind SOME of the obesity epidemic. Healthy food is much more expensive. It's hard to find time for a workout if you have two jobs to make ends meet. If you live in a bad neighborhood, even going for a walk is risky.

Still... that's no excuse for the McDonald's Supersize-My-Butt diet. Most people who are fat simply EAT TOO MUCH. Most people who have type-2 diabetes are FAT. We have doctors who are willing to give them tons of pills, but not enough who are willing to say, "Step away from the cheeseburger and go for a walk."

Maybe it's time to stop "normalizing" obesity in our society. Our current trend is unsustainable.

January 27, 2011 at 09:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Socialist Farms

I like things the way they are. If I have an issue with weight gain il go on a diet. I dont need the goverment telling ME WHAT TO EAT like that obama wife( pshhhh) Im going to eat hamburgers and hot dawgs and complain why my insurance is so damn high.

January 27, 2011 at 09:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Jorge

Why is The Chart perpetually blocking my posts? I engage neither in profanity, derogatory critisism or spamming, I tried to post an opinion based on personal experience which might help others in a respectful manner, and was blocked anyway. This has happened several times before, what is going on?

January 27, 2011 at 09:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Fred Hahn

The article stated:

"People who have type 2 diabetes usually have a pancreas that can produce enough insulin, but for some unknown reasons, according to the NIH, the body cannot use the insulin effectively, a condition called insulin resistance. After several years of this, the body's insulin production decreases."

What about all the carbohydrates we are told to eat (70-80% of our diet!)? Diabetes is a condition of carbohydrate intolerance. The USDA food pyramid, which according to the NHANES data people are adhering to more or less, is the primary cause of the explosion of obesity and T2D in this country. Cut the carbs/starches and limit to non starchy veggies and an occasional piece of fruit and obesity and T2D vanishes.

January 27, 2011 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Quizzle

The food pyramid does not recommend 70-80% carbs, unless you are including fruits and vegetables (which most Americans don't even get 3 a day, much less 5 a day, or the recently considered 9 a day). The food guide also recommends at least half of grains be whole grains. There is a difference in nutritional quality between refined carbs and whole grains. I guess people miss this message if they think cookies and french fries count as "grains". The problem in America is not that people are following the food guide pyramid.

January 27, 2011 at 10:36 | Report abuse |
  25. Bruce

I have to say Genetics in my family of 11 no 1 has it n we eat whatever we want n are not overweight.Now my neighbor n his family are all in some stage of diabetes

January 27, 2011 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Deb in New Jersey

I am an EMT whose grandfather was a diabetic with a sweet tooth. He remained undiagnosed until he dropped metal on his foot at work and developed gangrene. His lost his leg in surgery after surgery prior to his death in my early teens. I am wondering about those who "make excuses" for their eating habits, lack of exercise. All those above who complained expressed that they were not overweight, as if the above article is wrong. Every day I run into someone in a nursing home–learning to walk again after mandatory surgery to save their lives, or someone who must be treated by dialysis three times a week (majority of those on dialysis are diabetic). I am sooooo frustrated because a person with Type II diabetes has many opportunities to avoid/reduce your need for medications–so what do I hear? Excuses!! Grow up and take this seriously. It will take you life–like my grandfathers leg–and even worse your independence. You do not play with this disease. So right now I hope some of you feel very uncomfortable. Perhaps it will motivate you to change–now while there is time!!

January 27, 2011 at 10:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Larkie

Stop eating sugar and processed carbs and you will never get Diabetes Type 2 plus you will reverse it if you already have it. And you can stay as fat as you like if you'd rather (though you will probably lose weight as a bonus).

Not all Type 2 diabetics are fat – the ONLY common factor amongst all Type 2 diabetics is that they all eat sugar and/or processed carbs.

January 27, 2011 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Quizzle

Wrong – try again. If that were true, a ketogenic diet such as Atkins would cure diabetes, but it doesn't.

January 27, 2011 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
    • Larkie

Quizzle –
      If you stay on the ketogenic diet your diabetes type 2 WILL be in all senses of the word cured (even if you're still obese). If you go back to eating sugar and processed carbs you will probably see all the symptoms of diabetes come back.. which is a perfect argument that, again, diabetes type 2 will not happen to people that don't eat sugar and/or processed foods.

January 27, 2011 at 14:32 | Report abuse |
  28. Vera

Don't forget to read Dr. Ruddy's blog! It includes excellent information regarding the Pink Virus and breast cancer vaccine as well as other breast cancer prevention methods. http://breastcancerbydrruddy.com/

January 27, 2011 at 16:05 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Name*Rhonda

It is true that not all people that have these diseases are overweight. Some people have a genetic tendency. But you cannot place fault on genetics if you are not taking care of yourself with proper nutrition and exercise. Sometimes I feel that in some cases that it is not genetic at all. Just because 5 generations suffered from diabetes does not mean there is a problem with the "genes." Could it be that all of the generations had poor eating and poor exercise habits? Hmmm something to think about!

January 27, 2011 at 16:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. China Hood

Hi, Neat post. There is a problem with your site in internet explorer, may test this… IE still is the market leader and a big component to other people will pass over your fantastic writing due to this problem. China Hood http://www.robinhoodchina.info

January 31, 2013 at 05:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Nefful Teviron Clothing Therapy Healing

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this weblog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info particularly the ultimate phase 🙂 I care for such info much. I used to be seeking this certain information for a very lengthy time. Thanks and best of luck.

February 7, 2013 at 15:14 | Report abuse | Reply