home
RSS
Breast implants may cause rare cancer
January 26th, 2011

Breast implants may cause rare cancer

The Food and Drug Administration says it has found a possible link between breast implants and a very rare type of cancer. After reviewing data published between 1997 and 2010, the agency determined people with both saline and silicone gel-filled implants have a small but significant risk of anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL) a form of non-Hodgkin lymphoma.

According the American Cancer Society, ALCL is a fast-growing lymphoma that usually affects the lymph nodes, but can also appear on skin. Between 1  and 2% of lymphomas are ALCLs. It's more common in young people and can be cured with aggressive chemotherapy, radiation or surgery.

The FDA is asking all breast implant manufacturers to update their product labeling to include the possible risk, and asking doctors to pay particular attention to patients exhibiting fluid around their implant, and to report any confirmed cases of ALCL to Medwatch, their safety and adverse event reporting program.

"We need more data and are asking that health care professionals tell us about any confirmed cases they identify," said Dr. William Maisel, chief scientist and deputy director for science at the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health. "We are working with the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and other experts in the field to establish a breast implant patient registry, which should help us better understand the development of ALCL in women with breast implants."

The agency says women should check their implants and see a doctor if they notice changes. "Women with breast implants who are not showing any symptoms or problems require only routine followup," Maisel said.  If you're considering implants discuss the risks with your doctor.

About 1 in 500,000 women get a diagnosis of ALCL annually in the United States. It's even more rare in breast tissue, only about 3 in every 100 million women without breast implants get ALCL in the breast. The agency says 5 to 10 million women have breast implants worldwide. Of those, they have confirmed 60 cases of ALCL. Most of the women got their diagnosis when they sought treatment for symptoms including pain, swelling, lumps or asymmetry after they had healed. These symptoms were attributed to fluid buildup, hardening of the area around the implant or a mass around the implant.

The American Society of Plastic Surgeons says breast implants are safe and effective. "ASPS shares the FDA's commitment to patient safety, but we also want to make certain this information does not raise false alarms with our patients," said Dr. Phillip Haeck, ASPS president. "We've been down this path before. For nearly 20 years American women were denied access to their choice of breast implants because of false claims and unfounded science. We are determined this shouldn't happen again."

The FDA plans to update its review of silicone gel-filled implants, which is due this spring.

1. Tam

A no-brainer. Why stick stuff into your body? And the implants are so obvious. Make you a sleaze.

January 26, 2011 at 17:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • jk

Jealous much?

January 26, 2011 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
    • moron police

Tam, so if a woman has a double visectomy and has implants put in after surgery, she is a sleaze? You should think before you type. Actually, just log off your computer. kthanksbye...

January 26, 2011 at 18:32 | Report abuse |
    • uhuhreally

moron police@ A vasectomy is for MEN only. A lumpectomy or mastectomy is for a woman’s breasts. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your moron...

January 26, 2011 at 18:36 | Report abuse |
    • John B

Well I suppose if I was forced to undergo a double vasectomy I'd probably want to get big honkin implants there to make up for them. Thanks for the laugh Moron Police. Oh..and should I ever do so...I'll be VERY sleazy with them.

January 26, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse |
    • Moodyme

John B, you belong in the same dunce corner as "moron police." You have confused a vasectomy with castration. Amazing.

January 26, 2011 at 19:01 | Report abuse |
    • JESPARZA

I LOVE IT! VISECTOMY! LOL!

January 26, 2011 at 19:04 | Report abuse |
    • John B

Actually I didn't. Glad you saw the humor in my joke. Try not being so serious in life....

January 26, 2011 at 19:04 | Report abuse |
    • Trutwo

Yes, my 65 year old mother-in-law, who survived breast cancer, and had reconstrucive surgery after her mastectomy, is such a sleaze!!!

January 26, 2011 at 19:08 | Report abuse |
    • Michael

I'm a guy and I'd take a girl with implants over a flat-chested woman any day of the week!

January 26, 2011 at 19:18 | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Some women need it badly. It may be worth the risk.

January 26, 2011 at 19:59 | Report abuse |
    • rose

Tam, I had breast cancer and had both removed. Traumatic enough without judgments from ignorant bystanders. To feel, and yes, look normal I chose silicone breast implants for reconstruction.

January 26, 2011 at 20:04 | Report abuse |
    • Nursehope

Women who have breast implants (for whatever reason) have a higher risk of developing heart disease or being in a motor vehicle accident. Let's outlaw cars.

January 26, 2011 at 20:08 | Report abuse |
    • drinkthesoup

I'll tell you why, TAM. Because I spent a combined 3 years breastfeeding my babies and was left with deflated sacs for breasts. I felt deformed. That is why I got implants. And for the record, silicone implants, if a reasonable size, do not appear fake. They are very natural. Whenever someone learns I have "fakies," they are usually very surprised, and mine are actually on the bigger side. It is saline which look fake...they are like water balloons, whereas silicone would be more akin to pudding balloons. I love my pudding...

January 26, 2011 at 20:10 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

I had a vasectomy and I didn't need a boob job. And I didn't need a penis implant either! God gave you a certain amount, be happy with that amount unless you work in the "entertainment" business in Vegas!

January 26, 2011 at 20:13 | Report abuse |
    • drinkthesoup

Paul...how can you possibly compare a vasectomy with breast implants? Your vasectomy changed nothing cosmetically about you. If vasectomy required they cut off an inch or so of your penis, I think you would want that penile implant.

January 26, 2011 at 20:15 | Report abuse |
    • WPalmer

@jk Just because someone has an opinion opposite of your own doesn't mean they are jealous.

January 26, 2011 at 20:17 | Report abuse |
    • Blessed Geek

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha !

January 26, 2011 at 21:19 | Report abuse |
    • Tam

Not jealous. My boobs are real. And not discussing people who need reconstruction. Just the ones who think they "need" bigger.

January 26, 2011 at 21:50 | Report abuse |
    • Joy

I am glad to know that since I had a double mastectomy & chose to have implants (& they are smaller than I was) I am now considered a slease. Do you have any idea how having your breasts amputated completely changes how you view yourself as a woman? Kind some kindness & empathy next time. And pray to God that you never have to walk that road of cancer!

January 26, 2011 at 21:52 | Report abuse |
    • Ingrid kwong

I am surprised many women do not know that implants can cause cancer. Its sad to know that they would pick look before their health or even intelligence.

January 26, 2011 at 23:36 | Report abuse |
    • Slease

Where are all the good penis implants? I guess size doesn't matter now does it ladies?

January 27, 2011 at 00:41 | Report abuse |
    • Mich

fail.......

January 27, 2011 at 01:45 | Report abuse |
    • LEB

Jane Seymour has breast implants. Is she a sleaze?

Before you judge, try looking at some before and after pictures of breast implants sometime, and you'll start to understand why some women are motivated to get cosmetic surgery. A lot of women get implants for re-constructive purposes, or to fix uneven or oddly shaped breasts. If a person has suffered an injury, congenital deformity, illness, or just doesn't like how a body part looks, why shouldn't they change it?

January 27, 2011 at 02:39 | Report abuse |
    • PORCUPINE

IM NOT AGAINST RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY
      BUT IF A WOMAN GOES UNDER THE KNIFE JUST TO HAVE BIGGER BOOBS SHE DESERVES WHATEVER HAPPENS TO HER
      ALL WOMEN WHO DOES THIS ARE NOTHING BUT PICKLED BRAIN UNGRATEFUL MORONS. YOU ARE PRETTY MUCH SAYING TO GOD @#$%^ YOU GOD FOR GIVING ME SUCH SMALL BREASTS.

January 27, 2011 at 05:03 | Report abuse |
    • windyjammer

The "sleaze" lies in our misogynist society that tries to make women feel inadequate if their breasts are not of a certain size.

January 27, 2011 at 10:16 | Report abuse |
    • Moron Supreme Court

to "moron police" ...

I'd like to see a woman have "a double visectomy" .. what a douchbag... and I did use that term correctly

January 27, 2011 at 12:17 | Report abuse |
    • Just_me

"a sleaze"? Really? I wonder if you would say that to my best friend - who had hers put in after her double mastectomy. She is a cancer survivor. You're ignorant.

January 28, 2011 at 11:46 | Report abuse |
  2. moron police police

@MP, Maybe before you point out how stupid Tam is you should look up the meaning of visectomy. (Of course, you might try typing it into the dictionary as vAsectomy.)

January 26, 2011 at 18:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patricia

A "visectomy" is where they remove your visor after it has become attached due to chronic use.

January 26, 2011 at 18:49 | Report abuse |
    • anon

um, i just googled 'visectomy' and found it was a common misspelling for vasectomy. could you possibly tell me where i could find a definition of visectomy? i looked through several pages of results and found only vasectomy related links.

January 26, 2011 at 18:49 | Report abuse |
    • John B

January 26, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse |
    • Moodyme

A visectomy is a procedure for people who use the expression "vis a vis" too often online.

January 26, 2011 at 19:04 | Report abuse |
    • Animal lover

What does this have to do with vivisection? Stay on topic.

January 26, 2011 at 23:22 | Report abuse |
  3. Touchy

gosh...touchy touchy...people can express their feelings on this forum..if you don't like it....you log off!! sleaze!

January 26, 2011 at 18:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jeni

A sleaze?????? There are thousands of women who get reconstruction after mastectomies due to breast cancer........and they are sleazes??????? What the he'll is your problem lady?????? Btw, I am one of those women who is getting reconstruction after breast cancer at 35.

January 26, 2011 at 18:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alex K

Umm, reconstruction is not what people are talking about. They're talking about people who have normal breasts who want balloons on their chest instead. They never look better than the original. Reconstruction is trying to restore something that was lost, a completely different and sympathetic choice.

January 26, 2011 at 23:13 | Report abuse |
  5. HA HA HA!!

Wow! Moron Police, you take the cake! Post of the Year!!

January 26, 2011 at 18:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Thrag

Moron Police – uhh...maybe be a little more sure of your facts before YOU type. Double 'visectomy'?? It's called a Mastectomy. No such thing as a 'visectomy'. And no, a woman with post-mastectomy implants is not a sleaze. She's probably someone who has battled like hell to survive breast cancer.

January 26, 2011 at 18:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. QuietStormX

I see this as only to white vain women with no natural curves.

January 26, 2011 at 18:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patricia

nice try

January 26, 2011 at 18:51 | Report abuse |
    • KC

Welcome to RACIST, population YOU.

January 26, 2011 at 19:33 | Report abuse |
    • JESPARZA

Actually, I've seen more small chested African-American women than caucasian women. Of course, they're usually the skinny ones. The big mamma African-American women usually have big knockers. Anyhow, it still is a very racist comment.

January 26, 2011 at 19:49 | Report abuse |
  8. Jason

Go easy on the trolling, jk.

January 26, 2011 at 18:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Frank

It is like Coca-Cola, "You can't beat the real thing".

January 26, 2011 at 18:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. CJG

Tam, I wish I could bet you $1,000 that if you saw me you would never guess I have implants. Nothing about my life is remotely sleazy. Trust me.

January 26, 2011 at 18:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Lies & Statistics

It's not clear what portion of those affected by this cancer have implants because of reconstructive surgery after a prior diagnosis of brest cancer. Perhaps the link, if any, is between those who have had another type of breast cancer (and subsequent reconstructive surgery) and ALCL. Either way, with such a small sample size (60 women), the study seems far from conclusive.

January 26, 2011 at 18:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Patricia

Good call.

January 26, 2011 at 18:52 | Report abuse |
    • Moodyme

You understand the difference, Lies & Statistics. Sixty cases is a huge number, given the general rate of risk for ALCL in breast tissue. As for reconstructive surgery vs. vanity surgery, there is no relationship between ALCL and breast cancer.

January 26, 2011 at 18:58 | Report abuse |
  12. JESPARZA

So just because women around the world want to look better, or feel better about themselves by getting implants, that makes them sleazy? I personally love the look of a well-proportioned, curvaceous woman.

January 26, 2011 at 18:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Moodyme

A general risk for women of three in 100 million ... vs. 60 confirmed cases in 5 to 10 million ... and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons says breast implants are safe and effective? Oh, really?

January 26, 2011 at 18:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Steve

There is absolutely no need for women who dont need reconstructive surgery to get breast implants. If you idiot women get them just for "your man" or to attract men then i could care less about you if you get sick or get some horrible disease.

January 26, 2011 at 18:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JESPARZA

What about men with little wieners? Is it ok for them to get wiener implants? Because women certainly don't like little wieners.

January 26, 2011 at 19:01 | Report abuse |
    • snowgoose

You are quite the charmer eh Steve? Let me guess, you live in the basement of mommy's house?

January 26, 2011 at 21:00 | Report abuse |
    • Ingrid kwong

I agree with you Steve, the problem with women these days are the fact that many of them have extremely low self-esteem, women who wear large A cup or B cup would actually risk their health to live up to the standard of beauty defined by our society. Thats why there are many young women out there suffering from anorexia and bulimia, all sort of eating disorder, going under the knives (look at Heidi Montag and the consequences she is paying) to gain attention from males. What a sad sad world we live in.

January 26, 2011 at 23:44 | Report abuse |
  15. Ariel

everything from hip implants to sutures used in bypasses contain the same kinds of silicone found in the shell . If this is caused by both silicone and by saline implants then its the hard silicone used in the shell at fault or some other chemical component of its mixtures. That would mean that almost any implanted medical or other device has the same risk as many if not most contain these same silicone in their construction.

January 26, 2011 at 18:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. JESPARZA

Oh, and please don't call them fake boobs. The implants are not fake, they're very much a tangible object, and the human skin that wraps around them is not fake, either 😉

January 26, 2011 at 18:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • CJG

Wonderful comment. 🙂

January 26, 2011 at 19:02 | Report abuse |
    • John B

I always enjoyed calling them "unreal boobs". Funny how women will slap you for saying "those are so fake" vs saying "those are so unreal!"

January 26, 2011 at 19:10 | Report abuse |
    • JESPARZA

I'll have to start using that line, John B. Unreal.

January 26, 2011 at 19:41 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

They are fake. I have seen enough of them to know. What I like is the over doing it size wise. If they went up one cup size it would be totally unnoticeable, but no, no, they want big and thats how you can tell. Those unmoving huge for the body and hip size ones, what is the matter with those women?

January 26, 2011 at 20:10 | Report abuse |
    • snowgoose

Thank you Jesparza! I can now tell people my newly reconstructed (double mastectomy 3 months ago) breasts are UNREAL! Best thing I have heard in a while!

January 26, 2011 at 21:05 | Report abuse |
  17. mig

All I want to know is where do women with implants shop?

I have naturally large breasts (34DD) and I never can find clothes that fit right, especially dresses. I have to get something two sizes bigger so it will fit my boob area, and then it ends up still being tight there and baggy and ill-fitting everywhere else. Professional/work clothes are always a trick to find that balance between looking too revealing (or sleazy since people seem to like that word today lol) and looking frumpy. And forget wearing something like a button down shirt, it will be pulling apart even if I size up. If I could do it without surgery I wouldn't hesitate to make my breasts a size or two smaller.

January 26, 2011 at 19:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Spucky

My friend says that she buys only separates (unattached bottoms and tops) or stretchy dresses, so that the parts that need to get a little bigger. She says if you stick with more substantial knit fabrics it works well. Oh, and she never wears button-down anything – too many gaps. She once sewed in little snaps in between the buttons on a shirt, and that worked ok.

January 26, 2011 at 21:41 | Report abuse |
    • lk

I am natural 34DD and shopping is difficult. Even Victoria Secret is a pain. The cute things come in 36D (too bog around) or 34 C (too small cup). I buy mostly separates and no button down shirts really as they gap. Add in I am 5'10 and finding long enough pants and shopping sucks. I have found that some dresses from Ann Taylor loft in size 6 fit. I go for V necks in front and back to help. Pretty much shopping sucks.

January 27, 2011 at 00:33 | Report abuse |
    • lk

I know what you mean....I would love to be a 34D instead of 34DD. I will wear jackets and some button down shirts with camis underneath and leave them unbuttoned. I mostly wear sweaters and knit shirts in v necks.

January 27, 2011 at 00:36 | Report abuse |
    • Lola

DO you know what a tailor is, dear? Or do those big ol' boobies keep your synapses from firing? Poor you.

January 27, 2011 at 01:39 | Report abuse |
  18. Gabor47

Just watch the TV commercials for lawyers. In a few months they will advertise that ANY cancer case who have or had implants should call them. Just watch and remember.

January 26, 2011 at 19:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. ned

If I can stick a dollar bill between them, they're real.

January 26, 2011 at 19:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. chuck

chuck norris could scare away booby cancer with his nose hairs

January 26, 2011 at 19:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Me

Look out Vegas! It's going to be an epidemic! Call the CDC cause there's about to be a cancer cluster!

January 26, 2011 at 20:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Paul

Hey, I would no sooner inject silicone into my penis to have a larger penis than to think women should inject silicone into their breasts. As to the Plastic Surgeons association saying its safe, they said that before when all these weird rejects were happening. They are NOT truthful. They do not want to lose a mjaor source of income!
    But go ahead and put them in, just don't ask for free Obamacare for your vanity and stupidity!

January 26, 2011 at 20:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • getaneducation

Paul, silicone is not "injected". I have implants, and when I tell people, they are totally surprised (and of course I don't tell every person I know). No one says anything about fixing crooked teeth (for cosmetic reasons), getting one's hair styled, whatever. So what, breast implants, big deal. Do you have any idea what kind of toxins there are around us every day? Do you smoke? Eat red meat? Eat food with artificial dyes? Eat fried food? Please do not have a strong opinion about something you know so little about. I am sure there is someone you know who has them, and you don't even know it......

January 26, 2011 at 21:23 | Report abuse |
  23. chuck

if chuck norris had nreast implants you would need Sir Edmund Hillary and a band of sherpas to mount them

January 26, 2011 at 20:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • smiley

That was HILARIOUS!!!

January 26, 2011 at 22:39 | Report abuse |
  24. dayne

Whats wrong with women being sleazy? Me likey 🙂

January 26, 2011 at 20:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. healthy now...

I had a double mastectomy in November of '09. I just got my implants in December of '10 and I am now able to go out of my house without wearing uncomfortable, heavy prosthesis. They don't really look exactly like breasts, but hey, I feel pretty much "whole" again!! As the saying goes, "Yes, these are fake...my real ones were killing me!"

January 26, 2011 at 20:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lindsay

You rock!

January 26, 2011 at 22:04 | Report abuse |
  26. KDW

A couple of people have brought up some good points. Of the 60 women who have confirmed cases of ALCL how many had reconstructive surgery following a mastectomy? If it is more common in those with reconstruction there could be some kind of interplay with breast cancer or cancer treatments and the implants. Another poster pointed out that since this is occurring for both silicone and saline implants that the outer shell could be a culprit. The type of material used in the outer shell is similar to lots of other implantable medical devices. Why wouldn't there also be this increase in ALCL for people with other types of devices.

January 26, 2011 at 20:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sarteest

The study cited is from The Netherlands but published in the US in JAMA in 2008. All patients in their study had implants placed for cosmetic reasons. None were reconstructive following mastectomy. Not sure if the FDA has more updated information than that single study from Europe. The study was also based on extrapolation but met statistical confidence.

January 26, 2011 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
  27. blowmypride

I'd list women requiring breast implants in the category restricting breeding to assist in removing their DNA from the gene pool. A prerequisite for having children should be a big DD perky rack. Problem solved. Though an entire business line would suffer.

January 26, 2011 at 20:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Whocares?

i L-O-V-E my beautiful fake boobies. If you don't like them don't get them, don't touch them, don't look at them. And though mines are tamed most of the time, what's wrong with getting sleazy with them? bet there's someone out there who wouldn't mind

January 26, 2011 at 20:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • lk

Awesome comment!!

January 27, 2011 at 00:19 | Report abuse |
  29. No disco

Those aren't breasts. They're LIES!

MUAHAHAHA

January 26, 2011 at 20:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. pink ribbon

Almost everthing in the medical arena is made of or coated with silicone. Ever had your blood drawn, a medical procedure; basically anything invasive ? How about drinking medicines, e.g.; mylanta. All have silicone in them. I survived and had the implants due to the "societal norm" as well as wanting to maintain a degree of normalcy in my own body perception as as well as my husbands. I was only 28 years old and he was the love of my life. Now that he is deceased, I am comtemplating a removal as I no longer care about the societal norm. Men have guided, to a great degree, what a woman's body is expected to look like. Grow UP!!!!!

January 26, 2011 at 21:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • pinkbows

I couldn't agree more pink ribbon. It's said how women are suppose to look and it's all to please men.

January 26, 2011 at 23:04 | Report abuse |
  31. Thom

Beat Cancer Forever!!!

Phoenix Man Runs 60km on his 60th Birthday For Cancer
    To support John go to: http://www.60on60.com
    You can make a donation in the name of your loved one.

TOTAL 60 km = 37 mi. & 496.7 yd, YIKES! 14 hours
    I’ve determined my goal for my 60th birthday will be a 60K (60 km = 37 miles & 496.7 yards) on January 29th, 2011. I’m going to Run/Walk 60 kilometers on the Arizona Canal. We are still working on the exact course and logistics of “Partner Points”, areas where people that want to support me can meet me for a few miles of hiking and/or jogging to keep me company and to make sure I am not floating face down in the canal. My tentative course will start at Herberger Park on Indian School and 58th Street and travel west toward the Peoria Sports Complex to about 67th Avenue and back again.

January 26, 2011 at 21:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. sarteest

Put it in perspective: the chance of dying from general anesthesia is 10-15/100,000...chance of dying from pregnancy is 5-10/100,000...chance of dying from a gall bladder removal 100-1,000/100,000...chance of dying from an earthquake or volcano 1/11 million...risk of dying from lightning 1/3,000,000...risk of dying from a car accident 1/6,700...risk of dying from homicide 1/18,000...risk of dying by drowning in your bathtub 1/840,000...risk of getting breast lymphoma 3/100,000,000...risk of getting breast lymphoma with breast implants based on the single study yet to be corroborated 6/10,000,000

January 26, 2011 at 21:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • wicked smaht chic

excellent response! love it love it love it. I don't have stats like you do, but I imagine a person has a higher risk of being hit by a car while walking across the street, than they do of getting cancer fm bought boobs. A nurse who drew my blood last yr had these gorgeous eyes. She was black and her eyes were blue-ish or purple-ish or a kinda mix of the 2 colors; her eyes were head turners! I commented on how awesome they were. Then I asked, "they're not YOUR eyes, right?" She had a FANTASTIC reply: "They SURE are! I paid for 'em, they're mine!" I told her that was an excellent response...and then she smiled and continued to drain me of my blood.

January 26, 2011 at 23:26 | Report abuse |
    • stan

and the funny thing is this study will help lawyers bring the manufacturer or implants and or cosmetic surgeons to near bankruptcy. dow corning anyone?

January 26, 2011 at 23:36 | Report abuse |
  33. Mike Distance

OMG!!! 60 cases out of 10 million. Wow, girls with implants you are in serious trouble.

January 26, 2011 at 21:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Sherri

I really hope this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone. Common sense should dictate that nothing good will come from messing with Mother Nature.

January 26, 2011 at 21:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Beadles

To Michael who'd prefer a woman w/ fake boobs over a flat-chested woman – Do you ever find it difficult to be deep in such a shallow pool?

January 26, 2011 at 21:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. ashley

The only reason other women talk bad about women who have implants is because whether they'll admit it or not is pure jealousy!!! Keep hating ladies, but before hating on women with implants you better make sure you look perfect! Chance of dying from obesity is higher then these statistics! Bahahahahahahah haters....

January 26, 2011 at 22:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ak2190

I doubt any women are jealous of people who have such low self-esteem that they undergo surgery to mutilate their bodies to fit some ideal the media created in order to please men. I am not talking about women who had mastectomies, as they suffer trauma from a complete change in body image that is necessary in order to save their life. I'm talking about the ones who are just lacking in confidence and let other people decide whether their bodies are acceptable or not. That shows an utter lack of independence or strength. I'm sure there are guys out there who want to take advantage of that obvious lack as it gives them the upper hand, but real men would rather have someone who loves herself as she is and deserves their respect as well. What does it say about someone that they would mutilate their own bodies and risk major surgery just to look like what the TV tells them is attractive to the opposite gender. You don't see guys doing that B S.

January 27, 2011 at 02:24 | Report abuse |
  37. ashley

Not to mess with mother nature huh?? They why have ANY surgery?? Even life saving ones. Why have chemo for cancer treatment?? Let mother nature take its course?? Some of you are very ignorant. Jealousy IS the ugliest trait

January 26, 2011 at 22:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Monty

Yes, because my tiny breasts are are like a 10 cm abdominal aortic aneurysm ready to blow... my goodness the intellectual gene pool is rather shallow here...

January 27, 2011 at 00:02 | Report abuse |
    • Sherri

Life saving operations are quite different than altering operations.

January 27, 2011 at 01:22 | Report abuse |
    • Sherri

If it is not medically necessary, WHY would put foreign objects into your body? It's just stupidity. Sorry.

January 27, 2011 at 01:27 | Report abuse |
  38. smiley

Some of you are very funny, some are incredibly brave, and some, just plain sad. To the cancer survivors – I hope you live to post again on your 100th birthdays. To the "small-breasted women" commentors: newsflash! Not all small-breasted women are jealous...many of us just simply don't think having large breasts is very important. To those of you (women AND men) who DO think having large breasts (read: NOT talking about reconstruction, here) is important, I'm so sorry for you... but enjoy them and stay healthy anyway.

January 26, 2011 at 22:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Monty

Smiley, I was thinking the best way to add my two cents, and then I read your comment... everything I wanted to say and more. As a small-chested woman, I am not jealous of my counterparts that choose to do "enhance" what Mother Nature "lacked" (to their standard). I say "whatever makes you happy". Sadly, there are those who are jealous and react with such hatred. Personally, I am thankful that I am comfortable in my own skin and am happy that I do not feel the need to spend thousands of dollars on implants (or lash out and judge others) to improve my self-worth, since I feel there is no improvement needed.

January 26, 2011 at 23:49 | Report abuse |
  39. chieatfetus

duh, fake boobies aren't worth it.

January 26, 2011 at 22:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Brenda Reed

It may be a while before we are able to fully appreciate this latest report and what it might imply. However, I will say that I have always been fearful of any artificial implant of any sort whatsoever into my body unless it is absolutely necessary for me to continue living. And, I think I will stick with that idea.

January 26, 2011 at 23:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Blue Balls

I just clicked on this story because I thought there would be a picture of a big fake breasted lady. Then I got very disappointed to see that the picture was just of the implants pre-op. What is this world coming to when I can't even get my rocks off to accompanying photos to CNN articles? Good day.

January 26, 2011 at 23:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Elle

I think breast implants are very important when it comes to helping women who have had mastectomies. They can be empowering to women in that position. I can understand getting them in an extreme case but for the most part those who get the huge implants look cheap. I feel at a certain breast size it's hard to look classy...

January 26, 2011 at 23:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Ingrid kwong

January 26, 2011 at 23:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Ariel

I'm guy and I don't like implants in women. Women need to understand they are beautiful in whatever shape or form they were brought to this world... natural = beauty; Fake plastic bags filled with unknown fluids underneath your skin does not make you more beautiful...

January 26, 2011 at 23:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Lost

I'm only gonna say this once...there's nothing wrong with long breasts.

January 26, 2011 at 23:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. ItsDaPoleece

I think everyone is missing the big point here: 0.0012% people die from this out of 5 million people worldwide. That's only using the low figure given in this article. If 10 million people have breast implants, that's 0.0006% cancer rate.

More people die from diarrhea just within the US every year. Not to trivialize the 60 deaths that have occurred from this (possibly), but the only reason this story got media attention is because breasts are involved. I'm not saying this isn't news-worthy, but just pointing out why I found this article in the Top Stories section.

January 26, 2011 at 23:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Blue Balls

you might want to check your math on that one

January 27, 2011 at 00:56 | Report abuse |
  47. j

i have been with women who have fakes and naturals i like them both but it doesnt matter what the man says as long as the women are happy with themselves and i know more real breasted that are far more sleezy than some of the fake breasted ones heres one way to think about it the bigger the real ones are the more they sag as you have kids and get older and the more back pain she will have

January 27, 2011 at 00:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. lk

Most of my friends have them and most are a large C cup so its not obvious. I am blessed to be a natural 34DD though it makes shopping difficult. However, now at 35, no kids, they are starting to see the effects of gravity. Thankfully a good underwire helps but they certainly don't look as firm as my friends. My sisters were like deflated balloons after two kids so she had implants and lift and is now exactly the same size as before her kids – 36D. They look unreal and yet not fake 🙂

January 27, 2011 at 00:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Bob

Fake t!ts make any man want to puke. Well, any man that isn't a wife beating POS that forces the wife to get them to impress his beer drinking buddies. The PBR type, of course.

Sorry ladies, but you get what you get. Kind of like crack addictions...

January 27, 2011 at 00:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • lk

wow how do most men make it through the day feeling sick all the time!!

January 27, 2011 at 00:29 | Report abuse |
  50. Greg

I think that if a someone has the money and needs the self esteem then go for it. You can get cancer from just about anything now days.

January 27, 2011 at 00:33 | Report abuse | Reply