home
RSS
January 14th, 2011

What should I eat if I have diabetes?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. On Friday, it's Dr. Melina Jampolis, a physician nutrition specialist.

Question asked by Barbara Ray of Las Vegas, Nevada

I am type 2 diabetic trying to create a daily diet, and snacks, food program that I can use to prevent getting the terrible sick feeling that comes when my sugar goes too low. I would like to store these foods and snacks in my home so that I can reach them when necessary. Please name the foods, and snacks, as well as the proper times to consume them. Also when is the time to take Metformin even if your readings are regular and you feel OK? Thank you for your answer to these questions.

Expert answer

Hi, Barbara. To prevent hypoglycemia and to minimize the complications associated with diabetes including heart disease, kidney disease, eye problems and infection, it is important to keep blood sugar levels as steady as possible throughout the day. To accomplish this, I recommend trying to combine some type of lean protein (skinless chicken, fish, turkey, lean ground beef, beans, egg whites, low-fat cottage cheese or yogurt) or healthy fat (olive oil, canola oil, nuts, seeds, avocado) with a healthy carbohydrate with each meal or snack.

Make sure to choose healthy, low-sugar, antioxidant-rich carbohydrates like whole grains (brown rice, whole-wheat pasta, whole-grain bread, cereal, crackers, quinoa, barley), whole fruit (not juice or dried fruit) and vegetables. These types of carbohydrates are generally low-glycemic, which means they increase blood sugar less rapidly than highly processed, refined, sugar-filled carbohydrates. Naturally high-fiber foods are always a good choice as they slow the emptying of food from your stomach, which helps improve blood sugar control. By preventing spikes in blood sugar, you can also prevent the crashes that follow.

It is also important to try to eat regularly throughout the day. Try not to let more than four hours go by without having either a meal or snack, to prevent blood sugar from getting too low. And do your best to eat within 30 minutes or so of waking up.

How well are you managing your diabetes? Take this test

Since you talk about storing foods in your home, I'm going to give you some of the best canned and frozen choices, although fresh is always a great choice if you have the option. Here are some staples to keep on hand:

1. Nuts: Nuts (both peanuts, which are actually legumes, and nuts like almonds, walnuts, pistachios, etc.) contain healthy fats, fiber and heart-healthy plant-based protein. They make great snacks alone or with a piece of fruit or can be thrown on a salad or into yogurt for added crunch and nutrition.

2. Beans: These are also excellent sources of fiber and plant-based protein. Drain and rinse canned beans to decrease salt content. Beans work great in soups and chili, on salads or as a healthy side dish. I'm a big fan of bean-based soups like minestrone, vegetable or lentil as a healthy lunch or pre-dinner appetizer.

3. Frozen vegetables: I always have lots of frozen vegetables on hand for healthy side dishes. Try seasoning with a little olive oil (healthy fat) and spices instead of salt for extra flavor.

4. Canned tuna and chicken (water-packed and low-sodium when available): These provide a quick and healthy lunch or dinner option. Mix with mustard or a little olive oil-based spread and serve on whole-grain bread or in a whole-wheat pita pocket (both of which you could freeze to have extra on hand)

5. Frozen fruit: I'm a big fan of frozen berries, which are loaded with antioxidants (important to decrease the complications of diabetes) and fiber. I use them to make smoothies for breakfast (with plain non-fat yogurt or protein powder and one or two tablespoons of ground flax seed for healthy fat), and sometimes I defrost them and top with a little light whipped topping or low-fat vanilla yogurt for a healthy and tasty dessert.

Regarding your Metformin, you should talk to your doctor regarding the best time to take it, as it depends on the type of pill you are taking. In general, however, Metformin should not cause low blood sugar episodes and should be taken with meals.

Ask experts a question

1. Marina Alcon

Dead composed written content , thanks for information .

February 4, 2017 at 09:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Miki

Doctors discover how to reverse diabetes.
    More info http://thebigdiabetes-lie.com/diabetes-type-2
    Scientists have discovered how to treat diabetes without prescription drugs or insulin injections. Some patients are able to stop all medication in just a few weeks.

February 20, 2017 at 11:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Jesse Grillo Jesse Grillo

Well this is weird... this page was already loaded when I started my browser. I just randomly found your blog. Thumbs up!

August 30, 2017 at 23:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. technology adviser

Try to make the guest blog post as amazing as possible by promoting and dropping links. Interesting content. You have a lot of knowledge on this subject.

August 31, 2017 at 19:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. best public relations

You are obviously very knowledgeable. I like your style.

September 1, 2017 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jesse Grillo

Any additional suggestions or hints? Any new info. I was reading your blog and my boyfriends crazy cat spilled a glass on my new keyboard. Spot on with this.

September 2, 2017 at 01:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. CEO adviser

It is very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. Colors seem brighter when you are around.

September 2, 2017 at 18:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jesse Grillo

I really love your writing style and how well you express your ideas. Please write more.

September 4, 2017 at 04:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Jesse Grillo

You should be thanked more often. So thank you!! Somehow you make time stop and fly at the same time. I really like your writing style. If your articles are always this helpful, I will be back.

September 4, 2017 at 09:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jesse Grillo

good article. This page was already loaded when I started my computer. This website really sparked my couriousity. Oh my gosh! A good article. Please write more.

September 4, 2017 at 19:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Jesse Grillo

I bet old school LinkedIn pros would agree. great read. You are a very persuasive writer. Very nice page.

September 5, 2017 at 17:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Ferdinand Anes

we do hope you never quit! This is certainly one of the better blogs Ive ever read. You have got some mad skill here, man. I really hope that you simply never loose your style because youre definitely one on the greatest writers out there. Please continue the good work because internet needs someone like you getting the news out.

September 10, 2017 at 20:39 | Report abuse | Reply