home
RSS
Subway tests gluten-free sandwiches
January 13th, 2011

Subway tests gluten-free sandwiches

Subway is testing a bun made of egg whites, corn starch and tapioca starches for customers with gluten sensitivities at 700 outlets in Dallas and East Texas.  The sandwich chain is also offering a gluten-free brownie for dessert.  The brownie is made of potato starch, cocoa and sugar.

“Gluten-free is something on the radar,”  said Les Winograd, Subway spokesman.  “There are number of people at Subway who are particularly interested in gluten-free items for their own particular digestive needs. It’s not something that’s unusual to us.”

With Subway exploring a wheat-free alternative, is this a sign that major food chains are paying more attention to gluten sensitivities such as celiac disease?

Scott Adams, founder of celiac.com hopes so.

“Increasingly, restaurants are paying more attention to people with celiac,” he said, also listing Outback Steakhouse, Bonefish Grill and P.F. Chang’s.

People with celiac disease, a digestive condition that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food, often have trouble finding food without gluten when eating at restaurants.  To varying degrees, they cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley.

Eating out with celiac disease “used to be hard,” Adams said.  He’d go to a food court and basically stick to white rice and stir fry (without soy sauce – because it contains gluten).

Celiac disease is a common genetic disorder that affects about 1 in 133 people.

“It can be a pain. That’s why these restaurants that offer gluten-free options are great,” Adams said.  “From my perspective, it’s getting easier and easier to eat out, for sure.”

Fast food chains such as Taco BellArby’s and Wendy’s offer lists of allergens.

In January, Subway started testing a gluten-free, deli-style bun that arrives to stores pre-packaged.  The sandwich makers are instructed to use a one-time use knife to prevent cross-contamination with gluten products. The buns are baked at a separate facility.

“Being able to have the option to go into quick service restaurants such as ours gives more people options.  It gives them that feeling that they’re not so limited,” Winograd said.  There are no plans to expand the gluten-free experiment nationwide at this time, he said.

Subway is also testing a diabetes-friendly menu test in the Midwest, opening a few locations in the U.S. that serve kosher menus and serving halal foods in Europe.

1. Melanie Riggin

This would be fantastic! Both my husband and 2-year-old daughter have celiac's, and this would make life so much easier. Gluten free eating can be so hard, especially with a child who doesn't yet understand – having these options would make her life so much easier!

January 13, 2011 at 14:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul T. Jackson

CORRECTION: No one diagnosed with celiac disease ever tolerates the proteins in wheat, barley, or rye "to varying degrees." We celiacs do not tolerate those proteins whatsoever.

But if considering all sensitivities along a spectrum (with celiac at the extreme), it would appear accurate to say that people with non-celiac gluten sensitivity tolerate those proteins to varying degrees.

January 17, 2011 at 04:53 | Report abuse |
    • PATTI

I think that's a great idea but are they keeping it away from other glutenous foods? Are they using the same utensils they just used to make a regular sub? And are their highly processed meats gluten free? Are their condiments gluten free? Just because they make a bun that is gluten free doesn't mean Celiacs can eat the stuff they put on it.

January 17, 2011 at 17:44 | Report abuse |
    • Sandy E

It would be great - but cross contamination is always a BIG concern when we eat out. Our local pizzeria offers gluten free pizza, but when I walked in to pick it up, they cut it with the same wheel at they cut the regular pizza! So, what else is being used for both??? Good education of the employees is a must! I get a terrible reaction to a tiny amount of wheat, so I am very careful! And it gets depressing!! At least this disease is controlled by diet. Could be worse!

January 29, 2011 at 17:05 | Report abuse |
  2. Freedom

What!?!? An evil corporation making socially acceptable changes without a federal law being passed!!!!
    According to all the Democrats I know, this is patently impossible!
    This article needs to be verified immediately and the writer sent to a government reeducation camp where he will once again learn that the motivation for all corporate change is the government!

On a serious note, good for you subway, you will bring my business back with these kind of initiatives.

January 13, 2011 at 14:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • aTucson

1 in 133 people= volume= profit
      With that high prevalence, this was by no means some sort of altruistic endeavor.

January 13, 2011 at 16:27 | Report abuse |
    • mbluesky

Why do you have a need to take a completely non-political article and use it to make false and ridiculous attacks on the Democratic party? You are just slinging mud.

January 13, 2011 at 20:17 | Report abuse |
    • The_Mick

Think about it. This is not being done in order to be "socially acceptable", this is being done to increase the customer base – and there's nothing wrong with that. It's like the barbeque restaurant that makes sure it has non-pork bbq dishes to cater to people whose religions don't permit pork. On the other hand, I get a kick out of some people thinking "gluten free" means healthier. "Gluten" is a natural part of bread dough that is good for you – unless you're not tolerant of it. In fact, I intentionally add vital wheat gluten, 1 tsp per cup of flour, to automatic bread maker recipes so that it with make airy loaves more like store bought bread as opposed to dense loaves. It's that protein that strengthens dough and allows it to hold more bubbles of air.

January 14, 2011 at 05:54 | Report abuse |
    • lance corporal

why in the world do you need to be obnoxious? does that really benefit you or anyone else? I'm a moderate but it is just sickening to see these snarky mean spirited over politicized posts on virtually every article no matter what the subject. why not make AMERICA your team instead of just the republican party? we're all in this together so unless you don't love your country or plan on somehow eliminating those you disagree with and feel the need to vilify your approach is harmful

January 14, 2011 at 06:05 | Report abuse |
  3. SpellingPolice

I would like to try a gluten-free brownie for desert – how much sand does it contain? Are desert brownies only available in Texas?

January 13, 2011 at 14:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frostka

Heaven forbid someone proofread instead of relying solely on spell-check! 😉

January 13, 2011 at 14:34 | Report abuse |
    • Jean

Had to laugh! That's a valid question! A good GF product is hard to come by. Lots of them are quite nasty in the texture department! I've spent a lot of time and money searching for products that I am not embarrassed to serve to family and friends when they dine at our GF home.

January 13, 2011 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

It's quite possible to have a tasty gluten free brownies. Costa Coffee in the UK has the best gluten free brownies at the cashier area. Mmmmm I miss those brownies, you wouldn't know they are gluten free.

January 14, 2011 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
  4. Frostka

How exciting! I have celiac and Subway is one of the eateries I've missed the most over the last few years.

January 13, 2011 at 14:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LOL

don't get out much i guess....

January 13, 2011 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • Cedar Rapids

'that's pretty sad....not the fact that you have CD...the fact that SUBWAY is one of the restaurants you missed the most.
      don't get out much i guess....'
      Actually I can empathize. The in-laws live a 7 hour drive away, ends up getting pretty boring when all you can eat it potato tots from sonic or something. I know my wife was all excited about this article.

January 13, 2011 at 16:33 | Report abuse |
    • Jean

Yeah, you really do start missing the little things! Subway is one of them. It was always a favorite, "quick and healthy" restaurant for my family during a busy day- thus, a favorite. LOL must be a real ROCKSTAR! So glad you don't have to slum it! It makes you so much better than the rest of us. Go take your Swarovski encrusted cell phone and act like you're important elsewhere.

January 13, 2011 at 17:21 | Report abuse |
    • Emmen

I found myself craving the most mundane things when I was gluten free. Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches was the worst.

January 14, 2011 at 03:19 | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

Great work, Subway! Can't wait for these sandwiches to reach Seattle.

January 13, 2011 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Debby

Me too! I would have thought "busy" Southern California would have been a prime place to start something new. Why not Texas AND Southern California?

January 20, 2011 at 20:30 | Report abuse |
  6. Bill from Ca

Great Idea. My son and Daughter -in-law are both on gluten free diets and love Subway.

January 13, 2011 at 14:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Maryann from CT

Congratulations Subway for being on the ball! My husband and son have celiac and we would support Subway in a major way if they had gluten free sandwiches. Even though I am not gluten free.. I only dine at places that offer it to support those restaurants that have embraced it. Please make sure that appropriate steps are taken to avoid cross contanimation. Fantastic news. I can't wait until they come to Connecticut!

January 13, 2011 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Christine

This is great to hear. My husband is Gluten intolerant and we are VERY LIMITED to where we can eat if we want to go out. I hope this catches on to ALL the Subway's across the country. We live in a small town and I hope our two Subway's here will atleast try it out.

January 13, 2011 at 14:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Christine

LOL....The only thing Sad I see here is your comment .....Obviously, you don't understand what it is like to have CD or a gluten intolerance....You just cannot go ANYWHERE to eat. You really have to do your research. If you make a mistake, you pay the price. This is a start......and I hope it catches on everywhere.......My husband is the one afflicted and he misses being able to eat anywhere .........I bet you would, too.

January 13, 2011 at 14:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jessie

Does that mean the meats do not have gluten in them? It is fairly common to have some type of grain filler in processed meats.

January 13, 2011 at 15:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cedar Rapids

If its just a sliced meat then you are usually ok unless its 'smoked' or something and an ingredient of the smoke flavor comes from soy sauce, you are then usually out of luck.

January 13, 2011 at 16:35 | Report abuse |
    • no one

They have an allergen list so you can know which toppings are gluten free.

January 18, 2011 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
  11. Judy

A majority of processed deli meats contain gluten, as does some brands of mayonnaise and cheese. This is why it's so important for gluten-intolerant people to read the ingredients of all processed foods. It sometimes can be a daunting effort when store clerks think the calarie-carb dietary guidelines is all that is needed when asked about the ingredients.

January 13, 2011 at 15:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. madisoncnn

Here's Subway's allergen info: http://www.subway.com/subwayroot/MenuNutrition/Nutrition/pdf/AllergenChart.pdf

January 13, 2011 at 15:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Joe

I have been eating at Subway for 6 months. I have sandwich on Wheat bread, no cheese and no mayo, nor other sauces. I have lost 30 pounds, my A1C (sugar quotion) is down from 9.9 (very high) to 6.1 (within the recommended limits) and I feel great. Thanks SUBWAY.

January 13, 2011 at 15:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • heywood

ha! obviously you are not a golfer.

January 14, 2011 at 03:53 | Report abuse |
  14. Connie

Subway rocks! I have Celiac and I look forward to having the opportunity to eat in Subway along with all non Celiacs.
    We struggle to find a good "bun". It would be heaven to walk into Subway and order a gluten free sandwich!!!
    Thank you!!!

January 13, 2011 at 16:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Gluten Father

Thank you, Subway. Not everything is a Republican vs. Democrat issue.

January 13, 2011 at 16:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Andrea in Brookyn

Way to go, Subway! Thanks for thinking of us gluten-intolerant folks. I'll certainly support you when you start offering gluten-free options.

January 13, 2011 at 16:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. MidwestGirl

I hope this comes to VA soon and that the bun is good! I have missed sandwiches so much since I had to go gluten free. Now if only the Girl Scouts would follow Subway's example...

January 13, 2011 at 16:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sally

Try Udi's bread! I really missed sandwiches then discovered Udi's. They have great bagels also.

January 17, 2011 at 19:04 | Report abuse |
    • Lauren

I agree... Subs and Girl Scout cookies. What more could you ask for?

January 20, 2011 at 12:22 | Report abuse |
  18. Sam

What? We don't deserve the same size sandwich as everyone else? I guess that's because we're on a gluten-free DIET. I still don't feel safe going to a Subway, considering that wheat is constantly being baked, sliced, and handled at all Subway chains. All the sandwiches go down the same line. All those wheat buns and whole wheat products are in the store, it's an endless source of gluten contamination. None of us would prepare a sandwich like this at home; gluten-free after wheat foods. All of Subway's wheat buns are fresh baked in the store. Wheat flour hangs in the air for 24 hours. Our buns, as gluten-free customers, are frozen and premade at French Meadow Bakery. And, that is NOT a brownie, it's a poor excuse for dessert. I guess we are all second rate consumers. We shouldn't be happy with second rate or good enough, we're people and we deserve good food. On a positive note, it is nice to see a big company attempt to make gluten-free a part of the mainstream, but, as a gluten-free customer, I'm not sure how this is going to work. You will not see me in line anytime soon. Thanks, but no thanks.

January 13, 2011 at 16:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Soleada

Actually, there isnt -too- much of a risk. I worked at a Subway for 2 yrs. If you follow the right procedure – every piece of bread goes onto a new piece of deli paper & shouldnt touch tge line. Gloves are supposed to be changed & hands washed after ec

January 13, 2011 at 17:23 | Report abuse |
    • Soleada

I'm sure they'll take extra safety precautions (like separate riser & baking ovens) although my sister's gf has CD & they manage just fine.
      Following the proper procedure is probably the most important aspect, though.

January 13, 2011 at 17:28 | Report abuse |
    • Mary

I think you are just complaining a bit too much. You should be grateful that a major fast food chain is catering to celiac disease people at all–most restaurants either don't care or even know what celiac disease is.

You cannot expect gluten-free versions of food to be exactly the same as their non-celiac counterparts. My father has celiac disease and I've yet to encounter a gluten-free version of a food product that actually tastes as good the regular version.

My mom has cooked my dad's gluten free food alongside the rest of the family's gluten-laden food for years, and there have been very few issues with cross-contamination.

January 13, 2011 at 17:55 | Report abuse |
    • Jenrose

@Mary: The gluten free pasta we get at Trader Joes is actually tastier than whole wheat pasta, and more filling than white pasta, while still having a good taste and texture. Like all rice-based products, it just about has to be eaten hot (cold rice bread and pasta are kind of nasty), but the macaroni and cheese we make from scratch with the Trader Joe's brown rice pasta is awesome, and no one would guess it was gluten free if we didn't tell them.

Likewise, Cravings Place mixes: Their brownies are *brownies*, and delicious. Rich, chocolate, and no sacrifice in taste or texture. Same with their pancakes, and they're even easier than most gluten-containing mixes because you don't even have to add egg or milk to get a good pancake. They don't taste like a compromise.

January 14, 2011 at 01:22 | Report abuse |
    • Molly

I worked for Subway for many years. The deli paper and separate knives won't make a difference for those who need gluten free products. The bread crumbs get everywhere. Toasted subs leave tons of crumbs that will get into every tub on the sandwich line. Regular bread leaves crumbs too. I have relatives and friends who have to be gluten free and there is no way I would reccommend they eat at Subway, even with gluten-free options. Even a salad from Subway will potentially have bits of bread in it. Anyone who works there knows this. There a huge risk of cross contamination in even the most well run by the book Subway out there. If you have to avoid gluten due to health issues (celiac especially) I would still avoid Subway. If you are avoiding gluten for personal health reasons and a little cross contamination won't make you sick, go eat the new gluten free Subway products.

January 14, 2011 at 07:17 | Report abuse |
    • Bonnie

Sam, I so totally agree with you. The bun and brownie may be gluten free but the cross contamination factor
      would be so great with bread crumbs everywhere!

February 2, 2011 at 09:33 | Report abuse |
  19. Jean

I hope there's a lot of success in Texas with this! It would be great to have it come to Chicago! There is a dearth of gluten-free fare to choose from when dining out on the off occasion that I do. I still don't feel very safe getting gluten-free food from a place that serves exponential amounts of non-GF foods though. I'd still be a little concerned about cross-contamination. Most gluten-free facilities are just that- gluten-free. Nothing else is processed there. Maybe I'll get outward symptoms from dining out at a place that serves both, maybe I won't. Sometimes the intestinal damage goes unnoticed and there is just malabsorption of nutrients. That's reason enough to be wary. My favorite restaurant/bakery is dedicated gluten-free. Unfortunately, it's also EXPENSIVE! (It would be nice to see the prices on GF products come down a bit.) I don't like paying $8.00 a bag for GF pretzels. Many store bought GF foods are off of the menu simply because the price is so prohibitive. Me and 2 of my 3 sons are Gluten Free. That gets expensive!

January 13, 2011 at 17:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lora

Snyders makes gluten free pretzles now that are amazing and only 2.99 a bag!

January 14, 2011 at 09:52 | Report abuse |
  20. Sarah

This is great news! I've missed eating Subway sandwiches since I was diagnosed with Celiac 6 yrs ago. I can't wait to try one, but Dallas would be a long way to drive. Hopefully Subway will consider testing these products in other cities as well.

January 13, 2011 at 18:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Doug

Great Idea! Now if they could make the bun without cornstarch it would be even better. No gluten for me including corn, barley, oats...

January 13, 2011 at 18:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Name*Niki Harrington

I'm thrilled to here about the gluten free bread but wondering if the lunchmeats are free of gluten. Most lunchmeat has fillers unless specified like Bohr's Head. Hope this has been addressed. To give someone with celiac or gluten intolerance gluten without doing all the research could be deadly.

January 13, 2011 at 19:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Lindsey

From the article: "People with celiac disease, a digestive condition that damages the small intestine and interferes with absorption of nutrients from food, often have trouble finding food without gluten when eating at restaurants. To varying degrees, they cannot tolerate gluten, a protein in wheat, rye, and barley."
    Get your facts right, CNN. With Celiac disease, THERE ARE NOT VARYING DEGREES. No celiac can tolerate gluten. They might not feel physically ill after eating gluten, but that does not mean their body is tolerating it. Gluten intolerance, however, is different and can come in "degrees."

January 13, 2011 at 20:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. whatnext

Although less than 1% of the population has celiac disease, gluten free has become a big thing for many people, just like some are religious about their food being organic, cage free, free range, etc. In the "granola" store a block away from me people will pass over the Annies mac and cheese that quietly says Made with organic pasta, and pay nearly twice as much for the exact same thing that is labeled ORGANIC. Unlike what aTucson said, Subway didn't do this for 3/4 of 1% of their customer base.

January 13, 2011 at 21:49 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Susan clark

What about the stuff that goes IN the bread? What about gluten ingredients in the meats, cheeses and flavorings. What about CROSS CONTACT in the vegetables? All it takes is a dropped crumb in the chopped green peppers...Are they going to be Gluten Intolerance Group certified? GFCO.org ???

January 13, 2011 at 22:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. lgcamp

BRING IT ON!!! It's about time! Good old fashioned capitalism works every time!

January 13, 2011 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. kyrra

I remember going to Bertucci's with my dad, who has CD (hoping it just goes down the male line of the family! Going to have to see!) and he realized instantly that we had gotten a gift card to an Italian restaurant and was thinking he would just have to get a salad. To his great happiness, when he asked about a GF menu, the manager of the business came over, sat with us and went over the entire menu with us and helped make my dad a custom meal that was large, filling, full of variety & gluten free as well. I fully recommend Bertucci's.

January 13, 2011 at 23:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Jenrose

It's nice that they're trying, but a lot of us with gluten/wheat issues also have issues with allergies, in my case, specifically to egg. So nice try, but no.

Trader Joe's has the only gluten free bread I like, it's very simple. Egg isn't necessary for a good gluten free bread, and I wish more companies would understand that. Egg allergies are quite common.

January 14, 2011 at 01:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Hissoriki

Two years ago, before I found out I was gluten intolerant, I was someone the local Subway employees would recognize when I walked in the door. My husband and I love the food, as a more healthy alternative to most fast food places, with friendly service. Fast-forward to today, and we only eat there every few months (the employees miss seeing us). When all you can ever have is a salad it's easy to get sick of the same thing every time.

As someone who doesn't have to be quite so militant in avoiding gluten, and thus worry about cross-contamination, I am thrilled that a major food chain would start market testing gluten-free alternatives. I hope it is enough of a success that it gets implemented nation wide. There are air-sealed loafs of gluten-free bread being sold at Fred Meyer/Kroger's that have a shelf life of a full year. Not having to worry about selling the buns in a day or two would definitely make it easier on the stores, and hopefully eventually contribute to their being stocked nationwide.

Oh, and for the record, celiac sufferers are 1 in every 100-ish, like the article said, but recent studies have actually shown that if you include everyone with any kind of gluten intolerance that number actually skyrockets to 1 in 3! Of course, a vast majority of them are unaware, but still... food for thought.

January 14, 2011 at 03:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Rapturus

It would be easier if people didn't have to go to special stores and/or pay a lot more for gluten-free foods. AUTISTICS are more likely to have gluten (and lactose) intolerances. Think about it, we're not very social or verbal (computers do help for some and high functioners like me) and someone, family or friend wants to go eat somewhere...we want to eat but there's gluten in so many things and its embarrassing to deal with outside of home. Thanks to the lying doctor who blamed autism on immunizations, the study of autism, much of the money must go to treat diseases that were hardly seen in people due to idiots who wouldn't listen. See, the problem here is...how many gluten intolerances out of so many have autism, and of the ones with celiac, how many of THOSE have autism? If only the government would take these things into consideration, perhaps more restaurants would look into gluten free foods. Subway should have been the first considering their "healthy sandwich diet" thing they claim. If some people can't digest, then it isn't really a good diet. We do want to eat food from places we like too you know. (And in that "we" statement I mean people with gluten intolerances)

January 14, 2011 at 06:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jess

Honestly, your diet is not the government's problem. The government's response to & research of autism's causes is not Subway's problem. Just because things occur together in many individuals does not make them mutually exclusive.
      In your specific case – a person with autism ordering gluten-free and/or dairy-free food at Subway – how about researching and discussing through the social medium you've found works for you (the internet) and walk in with a card with an explicit recipe on it? That will limit the amount of questions they ask you and keep your order predictable as you see them create your meal. It is very stressful to order at Subway, but they really are great about following orders. For example, I created a card for my cousin that reads:
      Hello, Sandwich Artist! My name is [his name].
      PLEASE CHANGE YOUR GLOVES
      because today, I need a
      GLUTEN FREE
      Salad
      With
      Lettuce
      Spinach
      Provalone Cheese
      Steak
      Bacon
      Tomato
      Onion
      Sweet Onion Sauce

Thank you!

The only question he ever gets is "no dressing?" and he says "Just the sweet onion sauce, please." Now, maybe, we'll be able to have another card for a sandwich!

January 14, 2011 at 13:20 | Report abuse |
  31. me

The biggest issue is not the food product (there are lots of quality GF products they could use), but EMPLOYEE TRAINING. Cross-contamination is a big issue, and Subway will need to make sure the employees wear different gloves when preparing food for those with Celiac disease.

Tried to get a simple salad at Subway, but watched the employees working with bread, then continue to wear the same gloves while grabbing the salad ingredients, and had to pass due to cross-contamination.

One can tell how safe a meal will be often by asking the waiter basic GF questions. If you get a puzzled look or blank stare, it's time to leave. Hopefully Subway will implement this as well as many Outback, Carraba's, and PF Chang locations do.

January 14, 2011 at 08:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. PimmyZ

Leave my subway alone.

January 14, 2011 at 08:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Gwendolyn

Cross contamination people?? Read the article – separate one time use knife – check! GF baked off site in safe facility – check! What about separate meat, condiment etc line? Nope – nothing mentioned about that. The first thing done at any of these sandwich shops is grab the bread and slice it – then the gloved hand goes in the item bins the customer selects for their sandwiches. Right there your chances of contamination of the food line at pretty close to certain. I have emailed Subway 3 days ago – no reply yet on this question of what they are doing about that. Going to a deli is about as safe "my opinion and my doctors" as going to a bakery or a pizza place. I have Celiac and know how sick cross contamination can make me – not a chance I am willing to take with seemingly sharing the same food line.

January 14, 2011 at 08:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. Anne

This is great, but what I hope Subway also realizes is that a lot of processed deli meats have fillers that contain gluten... there are a few specific brands that are safe, but as a person with Celiac disease, I pretty much avoid cold cuts all together just for that reason. So the idea of a gluten-free bun is great, but I'd want to know that the meat they use at Subway is safe before I rushed out and started eating their sandwiches thinking they're completely gluten-free. Even some ketchups, mustards, dressings, etc. contain gluten. It seems that people usually assume gluten is only in breads, pasta, and baked goods, but it actually turns up in tons of things you'd never even suspect... so unless I can read the ingredients myself, I'm always very skeptical about claims that something is in fact gluten-free.

January 14, 2011 at 08:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Terry

Great as long as no cross contamination occurs. Must have separate knives,ovens,food booths and of course training for this to work. A Celiac worker would best be suited for the job here to make sure rules are enforced. Bring this to Canada

January 14, 2011 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Dil

I wonder how Subway will handle the cross-contamination issue. There will be gluten in the air from bread making. How is it possible for someone with celiac disease to avoid an exposure?

January 14, 2011 at 12:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. phil

being celiac myself, I hope the experiment is succeassful.

January 14, 2011 at 15:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Amanda

We are sooooo excited about this new gluten free bun at Subway. We love Subway but our daughter is allergic to wheat so we do not go there. This is wonderful news and I hope that it works out. We would get so upset that the school system would not provide her gluten free food for lunch. She is a Type 1 diabetic also so we face many challenges with her diet. I can't say it enough but thank you so much for trying something new for others who can't tolerate the gluten:) She is excited to try it our and see if she likes it!!! thank you:)

January 14, 2011 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. celiacmaniac

This is great for the celiac community, but not for me. Just another bread product made with corn/potato that I am also allergic to.

January 14, 2011 at 23:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Elle Mac

Same here, I got so excited about the idea, then I read the corn part and all that hope just flew out the window. I hate that corn is the alternate, go-to grain in lieu of wheat. My corn allergy is worse than my gluten problem.

January 15, 2011 at 06:37 | Report abuse |
  40. Melody

This is cool. It would be awsome if they opened one up in Visalia.

January 15, 2011 at 12:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Tom

What no one is talking about is how contaminated everything is in those restaurants. Every time a request for one of these is put in they would need to open new ingredients and condiments. Fellow celiacs...don't get too excited. We've been duped before. *cough* McDonald's *cough*

January 15, 2011 at 13:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. Dawn

Excited to read this, and praying that this makes its way to NY. I used to eat at Subway fairly often, before being diagnosed. My only suggestion is... if you order this, remind your sandwich maker and WATCH to make sure that they really do use the "one time use" knife. And if a national chain like Subway adds GF options to the menu, then maybe other national chains won't be far behind. Bravo, Subway!

January 15, 2011 at 15:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. Amanda

I think that gluten free sandwiches would be great. My 10 year old son has celiac disease and would love to eat at subway . I wish that they would come to Alabama.

January 15, 2011 at 19:21 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Judy

Saw your advertisement, started looking for Subway with the bread for a sandwich. The forth one I went to had the bun, ordered a sandwich. Only one person working, he made regular sandwitch for person in front of me, then mine he did not change glove before making mine. Cross contaminate was definatly taking place. I did eat the sandwich and it was very good but I feel very gulity for cheating as I know it was contaminated. Very good idea please perfect it.

January 15, 2011 at 21:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Diane

Your experience is exactly why this concept won't work unless the food-preparers are trained. Clean gloves, separate work surfaces, separate condiments and ingredients (to assure that gluten is not in them from double-dipping), and separate preparation tools would have to be used every time to make the sandwich safe for us. Just putting out a gluten free bun isn't going to entice me to eat at a Subway. There are too many other factors that Subway needs to consider if they want us to eat a sandwich prepared by them. I'm all for it if they go all the way with the food safety.

January 17, 2011 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
  45. Frank Mayberry

I would love to have a gluten free Subway sandwich, but not one with cornstarch, potato starch, or potato flour in it. There are plenty of ways to make gluten free bread without those items.

January 15, 2011 at 23:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. Love Subway

Thank you Subway for expanding your horizons! Can I have one shipped overnight???

January 16, 2011 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Alexis

This Article is great. Read more about Celiac's Disease at YourCity.MD by using the One Click Relief Center.
    This is only worth wild search engine on the Internet that gives you everything you need locally in absolutely One-Click! This thing is going to change the Internet and kick Googles butt! Go to any city .MD site which is replacing .com for health care searches and try it. Find the list of over 500 cities at http://www.MyCity.MD or type in your zip at http://www.YourCity.MD then bookmark the page and tell all your friends.

Search Gluten or Celiacs's Disease to read articles about what it is and ways to avoid gluten in life. http://www.cincinnati.md/kbviewer.aspx?query=gluten&s=1&hwid=za1124
    That specifically is a great article

January 16, 2011 at 13:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Diane

I do appreciate the attempt to accommodate people with Celiac. There are so many gluten-ingredients/products at a Subway that I am skeptical, to say the least. I would not eat the GF bun in the restaurant because only a person with out kind of sensitivity to gluten understands how important it is not to cross contaminate. I don't trust the preparers unless they have been trained in preparing gluten free sandwiches. I might purchase the bun and bring it home to prepare a sandwich. Maybe.

January 17, 2011 at 09:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. PATTI

I think this is a great idea but are the servers keeping the gluten free breads away from other glutenous foods? Are they using the same utensils they just used to make a regular sub? And are their highly processed meats gluten free? Are their condiments gluten free? Just because they make a bun that is gluten free doesn't mean Celiacs can eat the stuff that is put on it. And last but not least, does it have the consistency of rubber or plaster? I have yet to find a tasteful gluten free bread product on the market.

January 17, 2011 at 17:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. Christina

YAY! Thank you Subway! I have missed you ever since I was diagnosed with celiac disease a year ago! Don't make me wait long, I'm excited!

January 17, 2011 at 19:32 | Report abuse | Reply