home
RSS
January 10th, 2011

Should I give my 1-year-old milk?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. On Mondays, it's pediatrician Dr. Jennifer Shu.

Question asked by Jin of Fort Lauderdale, Florida:

My daughter is 1 year old now. Do I need to switch from formula to cow's milk? I heard that formula has more vitamins and minerals that the baby needs than milk. Therefore, my question is what the differences are between milk and formula and which one is better for a 1-year-old baby's growth and development?

Expert answer:

Thanks for your question! At 1 year of age, most babies may switch from breast milk or infant formula to whole milk. However, the availability of toddler formulas gives parents another option for children from the ages of about 10 months to 3 years.

Both whole milk and toddler formula are rich in calcium, vitamin D, and protein. However, formula is further fortified with nutrients such as iron, vitamin C and other vitamins and minerals and in some instances also with omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants. Most children are able to obtain adequate nutrition from whole milk alongside a balanced diet of solid foods, although picky eaters or those who are slower to take on table foods may benefit from the added ingredients in a toddler formula or a multivitamin supplement.

Parents may find the option of continuing to use powder formula to be convenient in the early years, but keep in mind that it is typically much more expensive than using regular milk. I would suggest talking with your child's pediatrician about your daughter's growth and developmental history as well as her current diet to see which option is best for you.

Good luck!

1. David

How about a milkshake, or a milky way or milk weed or milk of magnesia or Otters Milk?

January 10, 2011 at 11:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Denim

How about Venezuelan Beaver Cheese?

January 10, 2011 at 12:52 | Report abuse |
    • Todd

A better question is, why would you keep milk for a year, and who would you want to give it to afterwards?

January 10, 2011 at 17:55 | Report abuse |
  2. Guest

You're an idiot.

January 10, 2011 at 11:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Danielle

If your one year old is a cow, she should drink cows milk. This "expert" must work for a dairy company.

January 10, 2011 at 11:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • barbe

January 10, 2011 at 11:52 | Report abuse |
    • What

as long as it isn't the formula company...

January 10, 2011 at 12:09 | Report abuse |
    • Joanna

Bravo!

If my kids weren't still nursing at one year, I'd keep them on formula, because toddlers are notoriously picky eaters. However, HUMAN babies should be breastfed through the second birthday (and if you nurse that long, you never actually 'need' to give your child an alternative milk from another mammal at all).

January 10, 2011 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
    • Patrick

Joanna,
      The only one benefitting from a child nursing at 2 is the mother. That's just creepy and unnecessary given the amount of vitamins you can give through formula and cow's milk. Sounds a bit disturbing that you want a 2 year old hanging off your teat.

January 10, 2011 at 12:43 | Report abuse |
    • NewYorker in NJ

Patrick,
      Why is it that when we do something that is 100% natural, like breasfeeding your own child, you find that creepy, but when we take the milk that was created for another creature's offspring and give it to our offspring, that is normal? Does not make a whole lot of sense, does it?!

January 10, 2011 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
    • NIck

I'm a pediatrician and I can assure you that there is no nutritional benefit from breast milk after the age of 1. In fact, we have to supplement babies with Iron if the mother chooses to continue exclusively breast feeding.

January 10, 2011 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
    • MizzGivens

That's ridiculous. Just because people drink milk it doesn't make them cows, just like eating tofu doesn't make you a soybean.

January 10, 2011 at 15:09 | Report abuse |
    • Claud

NIck: Your conclusion is interesting since the iron content in Whole Cow Milk is less than both formula and breastmilk.

January 10, 2011 at 16:17 | Report abuse |
    • Claud

Patrick, most babies naturally self-wean sometime between 12-24 months. It was a long gradual process but mine completely self-weaned at 19 months and I can assure you I was not benefiting from breastfeeding. It's a chore! I'm proud and happy that I was able to do this for my son (an unintended consequence of being laid off during maternity leave) but at the same time I am happy to have my body and time back!

January 10, 2011 at 16:25 | Report abuse |
    • Karin

NIck wrote:
      "I'm a pediatrician and I can assure you that there is no nutritional benefit from breast milk after the age of 1."

Are you really a pediatrician? Have you read the World Health Organization and more closer to home the AAP policy statements on breastfeeding?

January 10, 2011 at 16:51 | Report abuse |
    • Nick

@ Claud. You are correct...but I was referring to mothers who exclusively breast feed with little to no iron-fortified foods.

January 10, 2011 at 16:53 | Report abuse |
    • Nick

@ Karen...why yes I have. Have you? Btw...the WHO does not typically apply to this country's population. I am absolutely for breast feeding btw. I think you need to reread the AAPs policy....I was referring to mothers who EXCLUSIVELY breast feed after 1 year...which the AAP does not recommend.

January 10, 2011 at 17:02 | Report abuse |
    • Lillian

Nick, you're an idiot and I'm glad you're not my kids' pediatrician, if you are indeed a pediatrician. Do you know many mothers who are still exclusively breastfeeding at 1 year, with no solid foods? Considering not many women even breastfeed until that point to begin with, I'm guessing you don't see exclusive breastfeeding at 1 year very often.

Cows' milk has nothing to do with iron whatsoever.

I just wish the article said "Just continue breastfeeding until age 2 and don't worry about other species' milk" instead of assuming that everyone formula feeds.

January 10, 2011 at 17:19 | Report abuse |
    • Lillian

I should have said "at LEAST age 2".

January 10, 2011 at 17:20 | Report abuse |
    • Sara

Lillian, I also breast fed my daughter until 2. NIck (or Dr. Nick), you are correct in that the AAP does not recommend breast feeding exclusively after the age of 1...but does that mean you're against it?

January 10, 2011 at 17:29 | Report abuse |
    • Claud

Nick: Thanks for the clarification, that makes more sense. Can't say I've met anyone has exclusively BF with no solids whatsoever to 1+ yrs but I suppose they are out there.

January 10, 2011 at 17:48 | Report abuse |
    • Nick

@ Sara...I am not at all "against" exclusively breast feeding. As long as parents are well-informed of the pros and cons. I've had infants successfully breast feed exclusively beyond 1 year of age with the proper screening/vitamins. Unfortunately, I've also seen infants exclusively breast feed and fall of the growth curve, develop nutritional deficiencies and/or develop oral aversions to solids.

January 10, 2011 at 17:57 | Report abuse |
    • Trina

It wasn't the plan, but I basically "exclusively" breastfed my daughter until 13 months. Then I weaned her to formula. It happened because my daughter refused to eat anything other than banana babyfood. She refused all the cereals and all of the fruits and vegetables. What a waste of money that was! I was throwing out babyfood left and right! When she was old enough to sit up, she would take some Cheerios. So, until about 13 months, her diet was Cheerios, bananas and breastmilk. After that, I transitioned her to formula for the nutritional value and she would also eat pasta and strawberries. I tried other things, but she refused everything... yogurt, cheese, etc.
      There are reasons that kids might be on breastmilk for over the first year of their lives.

January 10, 2011 at 18:24 | Report abuse |
    • rh

Most people seem to think nursing until most of a child's calories are from food is a good idea. I nursed mine until they were around 2 years old, and they got formula as a supplement.

"Is it okay?" means "should I stop spending $36 for 1.5 quarts of formula and start spending $3.50 for a gallon of whole milk, and NOT feel guilty? I don't think the answer is right at all...

January 10, 2011 at 19:06 | Report abuse |
    • Barry

On a side note, how many people here realize that Milk isn't something that humans should be taking into their bodies to begin with. Why do you think so many people are lactose. It's because it's not a food that was normal.

January 10, 2011 at 23:38 | Report abuse |
  4. barbe

I am alarmed that doctors aren't warning parents about the dangers of feeding children cow's milk. Cow's milk is for the offspring of cattle and there are inherent risks in feeding it to our young. I thought doctors would know about the high phosphate content of milk leaching the calcium from the bones in order to achieve balance. Also, aren't scientific minds intrigued by the high statistics of osteoporosis in the part of the world that consumes the most milk?

January 10, 2011 at 11:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marlin

What parts of the world dont drink cows milk? East Asia? You will find they have osteoporosis as well.

January 10, 2011 at 12:07 | Report abuse |
    • vickietaylor

barbe, I *totally* agree with you. Humans are the only species on earth that drink the milk of another species. It's not natural. And since milk is basically made in order to grow an infant very, very rapidly over a short time, the fact that humans keep drinking it well into adulthood is one of the causes of the obesity crisis. People need to wake up! Our milk addiction was engineered decades ago by the dairy industry. Once an infant is weaned, we don't need it at all.

January 10, 2011 at 21:49 | Report abuse |
    • WENDY

Yet, AMAZINGLY, we are all still alive....it is a mystery...

January 24, 2012 at 09:41 | Report abuse |
  5. Valerie

If you are going to feed your human infant cow's milk, then at least go organic. That way there will be no Bovine Growth Hormone, Antibiotics, and Pus in it.

January 10, 2011 at 11:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • agreed

I agree. Be intelligent about what is going into you children. Additives and preservatives are ridiculous and not necessary.

January 10, 2011 at 15:32 | Report abuse |
  6. sam

How about continuing to breastfeed? Toddler led weaning is perfectly natural and certainly more beneficial than serving our children bottles of synthetic chemicals. Isn't that an option here too Dr.? What a joke the medical establishment has become. They are all schills for Big Pharma. Shame on you!

January 10, 2011 at 11:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lillian

Hear, hear!

January 10, 2011 at 17:20 | Report abuse |
    • Claud

For those who are breastfeeding that would be fine advice, however, the question asker is obviously formula feeding and the resulting advice is sound.

January 10, 2011 at 18:07 | Report abuse |
  7. Johnny

By the natural order things. Cow's milk is for calves, who have 4 stomachs to digest it. As far breast feeding, if my mom were as pretty as say Pamela Anderson? I'd still be breast-feeding and I'm 47.

January 10, 2011 at 12:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marlin

Ewww.. I dont care how pretty my mom is. I wouldnt be turned on by her.

January 10, 2011 at 12:08 | Report abuse |
    • Idolizer of Johnny

it took all my strength not to laugh out loud in my cubicle

January 10, 2011 at 13:56 | Report abuse |
    • MizzGivens

Disgusting.

January 10, 2011 at 15:10 | Report abuse |
    • your disgusting

You have some serious issues to deal with, you should go see your nearest shrink.

January 10, 2011 at 15:29 | Report abuse |
  8. Bennett, Syracuse NY

The phosphate content of cows milk is far outweighed by the benefits of the calcium – a LOW dairy diet, especially as a child or teen, is what's linked to risk of osteoporosis.

Young infants are at risk of iron-deficiency if started on cows milk too early, because although cows milk contains iron it is not in a form that is easily absorbed, and young infants tend to replace solid food with milk if they drink a lot of it (so they don't get iron from their solids either). For this reason we recommend waiting until kids are at least 1 year of age.

American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines are at:

It seems that some people commenting here are unaware that most infant formula is made from cow's milk...

January 10, 2011 at 12:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DJ

Thank you Bennett for not jumping to conclusions like other responders, and supporting your assertion with FACTS. I understand that some may have reservations about starting a 1 year old on whole cow's milk, but thats why you as a parent have the CHOICE of not doing it. Its your preference. The American academy of pediatrics has recommended this for some time now, and I bet if you all asked your parents when they started you on cows milk you'd be surprised. (And provided that you didn't grow up with any developmental problems over the years I'm sure none of you are dissatisfied with how you turned out)

January 10, 2011 at 12:23 | Report abuse |
    • Lillian

DJ, one-third of Americans are overweight or obese. Diabetes, autoimmune disorders, developmental disorders, and cancers are all sharply on the rise. People SHOULD question how they "turned out" with facts like these.

January 10, 2011 at 17:24 | Report abuse |
    • DJ

Lillian, Diabetes (and obesity) is due to one simple reason...hand to mouth.. It had no correlation to the cow's milk. Diabetes has a direct correlation with the amount of extra weight that a person carries above his or her "ideal weight". Some may argue, well what about type I vs. Type II? The overwhelming majoring of people diagnosed with diabetes are type II (non-insulin dependent) and may go on to require insulin down the road. Again, this is due to a person's choice of food and lack of activity. As for the autoimmune and developmental disorders, one thing you have to take into account is that modern medicine is improving along with the incidence of these disorders. Some diseases have been in existence arguably for years but were never detected, the infant didn't live long enough for it to be detected (or manifested). And lastly, cancer is on the rise. Hell, I have no explanation for that except that there are a lot of factors involved (smoking, smoked meats, lack of adequate follow up by patients, smoking, smoking, etc). Sure we SHOULD question how we turned out, but do those things have anything to do with cows milk? I'd love to see the study on that one.

January 11, 2011 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
    • Sharon, Austin TX

You all should watch Forks over Knives. There are staggering amounts of evidence about cow's milk as well as many other animal products... interesting stuff. I keep looking for an agenda from the filmmakers (other than helping people), but can't find one. Hard to ignore the research.

February 5, 2012 at 21:52 | Report abuse |
  9. MidwestGirl

There are studies that show the countries with the highest dairy intake have the highest rates of osteoporosis, so milk is not the answer for bone density. Also, there are studies linking milk consumption in children to increased risk of Type I diabetes. If I ever have children, they will definitely not be fed cow's milk.

January 10, 2011 at 12:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lena

Correlation does not equal causation. There are a lot of other factors in play, more than just "Point A results in Point B".

January 10, 2011 at 12:30 | Report abuse |
    • Tim

Its called getting exercise. The more you excercise the denser your bones are. That is because running builds bone density... Our younth spend to much time playing video games.

January 10, 2011 at 14:26 | Report abuse |
  10. Momofthree

If a parent is concerned about switching from formula to cows milk, the simplest answer to make up for the nutrients is to provide your child with an adequately balanced diet and a daily vitamin to make up for any perceived deficiencies. For those advocating breast feeding until 2, that's great if a mother can actually breast feed. There are many reasons a mother might not be able to breast feed, or choose not to do so. The key here is to provide your 1 year old with a balanced diet of dairy, fruits, veggies, meats (or other protein sources) whole grains and minimal fats and sweets.

Good luck.

January 10, 2011 at 12:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • rh

My kids did not eat table food until they were at least 4 years old, and nursed until they were 2. From 2 to 4 they ate cereal and fruit or vegetables, and very little table food.

Considering that most people would not know a balanced diet if it bit them in the butt, I don't trust this guy to make sure his 1 year old is eating a balanced diet. My 7 year old barely eats a balanced diet due to finickiness.

January 10, 2011 at 19:08 | Report abuse |
    • KellyinCA

@rh: perhaps the "finickiness" might be due to the fact that they were nursed for such a long period of time and _weren't_ exposed to table foods until long after it was recommended that they start?

Don't get me wrong – breast milk is best, full stop. I simply question the need for it to be directly from the breast once the child can hold a sippy cup. There are breast pumps on the market that allow this. The upshot is this: a child who is not weaned by 2 years and is not fed solids regularly is likely to have an aversion to food because the texture is problematic and they're too used to liquids. If we are questioning the quality of our food supply, in North America, to such an extent; then perhaps we need a top-down approach, not the exercise of paranoia at the expense of long-term child nutritive and psychological development.

January 10, 2011 at 21:09 | Report abuse |
  11. veganTexan

giving a child milk is a horrible idea. milk is produced by a cow in order to add several hundred pounds of weight to a calf over one year period. it's loaded with fat. we all know the U.S. has an obesity problem: 2/3 of Americans are overweight and 1/2 are obese. feeding your child something that will put them on the path to obesity seems irresponsible. most milk sold in stores is also loaded with bovine growth hormones and anti-biotics that are then passed to humans who drink the milk. i'd stick with formula with my kid or mother's milk.

January 10, 2011 at 12:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Momofthree

humans have been consuming milk from cows for centuries, there is no correlation between the two. What is leading to the obesity epidemic in this country is over processed junk that sits on the shelves of today's supermarkets. Most formulas are made from cow's milk so the idea that continuing to provide a child with formula rather than milk is misplaced. Soy products tend to be higher in fat than cows milk products. The only weight gain study in recent years comes from a study done on infants and children were lactose and soy intolerant who were ultimately fed goats milk. Those same children later were more likely to become obese as adults.

January 10, 2011 at 12:41 | Report abuse |
    • Hah

Interesting comment coming from someone with "Vegan" in their alias. The obesity problem in the U.S. that adults and children both face is not due to milk consumption, and pasturized milk that is consumed by humans is not at all the same as "straight from the cow" milk that calves receive in the way of fat content. You comment just sounds like someone who has made their own dietary choices to become vegan throwing false information out there in a public forum in order to slander products they choose not consume themselves.

January 10, 2011 at 13:57 | Report abuse |
    • J

Human (average) – 1.1% protein, 4.2% fat, 7.0% lactose (a sugar), and supplies 72 kcal of energy per 100 grams.
      Cow milk (average) – 3.4% protein, 3.6% fat, and 4.6% lactose, 0.7% minerals [36] and supplies 66 kcal of energy per 100 grams.

January 10, 2011 at 14:03 | Report abuse |
    • dbny

I agree. Ever since McDonalds invented cow's milk in 1993, we seem to be getting more obese. I too will stiick with formula or mother's milk for my kids. We all know that human breast milk and baby formula are in no way similar to cow's milk.

January 10, 2011 at 14:19 | Report abuse |
    • MizzGivens

Didn't you know that most of the formula infants and toddlers consume is milk-based?

January 10, 2011 at 15:12 | Report abuse |
    • veganTexan

actually, none other than Dr. Benjamin Spock, one of the worlds leading pediatricians before he died several years ago, recommended that parents not feed their children dairy products b/c he thought they were bad for babies, etc. modern dairy farms pump antibiotics, growth hormones and other drugs into cows. those drugs to not wash out of those animals bodies. they remain in the milk which parents then feed to their kids. skip the milk and stay with the formula and breast milk.

January 10, 2011 at 20:14 | Report abuse |
    • RosaFranklin

@veganTexas....I think you're missing the point others have made – formula is made with cow's milk. So when you keep saying one should skip the milk and just breastfeed or *use formula*...it doesn't make sense.

January 10, 2011 at 21:55 | Report abuse |
  12. Knox

No one should be drinking cows milk but the cows.
    Drinking is cows milk is okay, but if you say "breast" milk to someone they shutter... which do you think is better for a "human" baby?
    And cows milk today is not the same as centuries ago, it is overprocessed, and full of antibiotics and hormones.

January 10, 2011 at 12:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mark

There is but one animal on Earth that continues to drink milk after it is weaned....the human being!

January 10, 2011 at 13:54 | Report abuse |
    • dbny

Good point Mark. We should examine the shopping habits of other mammels, and get an idea of why they are skipping the milk aisle at the grocery store.

January 10, 2011 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
    • charles s

"No one should be drinking cows milk but the cows." How many animals cook their meals? Humans eat almost everything; that is the reason humans are found almost everywhere. Some people cannot digest milk due to their genetic heritage , then they should not eat it. I am sure that milk is much better than any carbonated beverage built in a factory. Breast milk is the best but our society requires most women to work after childbirth; so whole cow milk is better than the alternatives.

January 10, 2011 at 15:24 | Report abuse |
  13. Guest

Cow's milk = Autism

jk

January 10, 2011 at 13:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. CESSIE

COW'S MILK IS FOR CALVES...MILK IS HIGH ON THE LIST OF FOOD ALLEGERIES. COW'S MILK ALMOST KILLED ME. SO I WAS ON THE LOOK OUT FOR MY BABIES AND TOOK THEM OFF MILK AND ON TO SOY MILK.

January 10, 2011 at 13:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • clavus

thank you for yelling. what if they're allergic to soy, like my son? to each his own...

January 10, 2011 at 13:40 | Report abuse |
    • charles s

Both of my children were allergic to milk based formula. Next we tried soy based formula; same problem. One of them was able to use soy based formula. My other son had to eat Gerber 's meat based formula. It looked like gravy. He was able to tolerate it. Eventually both were able to switch to milk. Human being are very adaptable. Look at the junk most people eat and they do not die right away.

January 10, 2011 at 15:29 | Report abuse |
    • rick rick

well by golly...if your child is allergic to soy, there's Almond, Rice, Hemp, Coconut, etc. Obviously you would know this, since you would do extensive research for the benefit of your child.

January 10, 2011 at 22:44 | Report abuse |
  15. John

I can't believe anyone would breastfeed a kid after the age of 2. Rule of thumb; if they can speak in sentences you should no longer be whipping it out. Give them regular milk for crying out loud. We had a couple over for brunch once and their four year old walked up to the mother and said she was hungry. The mother whipped it out and started feeding the kid right at our table. I nearly fell off my chair.

January 10, 2011 at 13:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mb

My almost 3 year old is not speaking in full sentences yet due to a speech delay, so by your assertion, it would be acceptable for me to continue to breastfeed her, but not my other child who began speaking in sentences at 18 months? Interesting ideas you have...

January 10, 2011 at 14:08 | Report abuse |
    • Fran182

Simply because you have seen something that you are not used to (and older child nursing), doesn't make it bad or something new. Its only new to you.

January 10, 2011 at 15:02 | Report abuse |
    • Alissa

John, I used to think the same way, but after having a premature baby, I realize the importance of breast milk. Did you know that the world average age is about 4 years...granted American women have the choice because of the choices that we have with going back to work and offering formula, but think about mothers in third world nations, who might face famine or natural disasters... or even the mothers of Hurricane Katrina,... if the mothers were NOT breastfeeding, their babies/ infants/ toddlers may have died.
      Even though pediatricians recommend breastfeeding up until age one, women that go further continue to give their child the best nutrition possible filled with antibodies. Not to mention the advantages for the women to reduce the risk of breast cancer. So, for yourself and any other man who doesn't understand it's benefits, you might want to think twice before lashing out on what you think is gross.

January 10, 2011 at 17:38 | Report abuse |
    • CJ

@Alissa – you can breastfeed without whipping out for a four year old. That's why they invented pumps – so that people can feed babies without making themselves (or everyone around them) uncomfortable. While we're all "animals" that doesn't preclude us from having a sense of manners and propriety in social situations. I would be absolutely appalled if someone did that in my home, and they probably wouldn't get an invitation back. No one here is arguing against the nutrition of breast milk. My daughter wouldn't latch, so I did formula, and I don't regret it, and I don't feel guilty. I respect women who want to breastfeed, but it can be done without making everyone else uncomfortable, which it can, especially when kids get past a certain age.

January 10, 2011 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
    • beth

they serve a purpose and it's not for decoration. their purpose is to feed your babies....

January 10, 2011 at 19:24 | Report abuse |
  16. Natural

MILK IS A BAD-NEWS SUBSTANCE........check out this site on milk.............http://notmilk.com/

January 10, 2011 at 13:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Ellen

I am surprised nobody mentioned goats milk. It is much easier to digest, and can be bought pasteurized. In Europe it is often advised for people who have stomach problems. I believe whole cow`s milk provides too much fat.

January 10, 2011 at 13:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • charles s

Goat milk is supposedly the closest to human milk but it is expensive. Human milk is the best but some women do not produce enough and so they have to use formula. Cow milk based formula is first tried, then soy based formula, then meat based formula (no longer available) and finally goat's milk.

One boy's life depended upon Gerber's meat base formula: http://articles.latimes.com/1990-04-06/news/mn-667_1_gerber-make-formula

January 10, 2011 at 15:36 | Report abuse |
  18. Jodie

The World Health Organziation and The China Study have solid proof that animal products, including cow's milk, should be eliminated from the diet.

Three glasses of milk contain the same amount of cholesterol as 24 SLICES OF BACON.

The $30 billion annual lobbying budget of the food industry is very effective in making sure most Americans believe they need calcium to build strong bones. In fact, the opposite is true. Countries who consume the most animal protein have the highest incidence of osteoporosis. Counties who have plant based diets have the lowest incidence of osteoporosis.

Millions of people who eat plant based diets in other countries are living proof that animal products cause cancer, heart disease, diabetes and our other western diseases.

If you want your child to be disease free for life, consider getting the facts. I like the book The China Study by T. Colin Campbell.

January 10, 2011 at 14:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • M.J. Hossain

NIck wrote:

Dr. Nick, before making such a comment about breastfeeding, please know about it well. I have never learned anything which says that breast milk contains no nutritional value for children after 1 year. It seems you are ignoring a very crucial matter which may be misleading for many people and aiding the consumer culture!

October 8, 2012 at 08:16 | Report abuse |
  19. Dan

Most baby formula are based on cow's milk. There are some based on Soy as well, but Soy has its own sets of issues. Did you know Soy is loaded with Estrogen and has been linked to fertility problems. As far as breast milk is concerned, human babies often wean themselves long before 2 years old. There are many reasons why breast milk may not be an option.

January 10, 2011 at 14:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. cindi

You all are acting like every woman out there can and would breast feed. What of those that can't or can't afford forumula? I have 5 kids and 4 out of 5 did just fine on whole milk at a years age. none of my kids so far has been picky. Kids are picky cause the parents allow them to be. Even my 8 month old will eat whatever you put in front of him. My 3 oldest are in school and just as smart (sometimes smarter) than their breast fed peers. They are just as healthy as well. So don't give me the crap about breast feeding makes smarter and healthier. Only in the beginning when they get the stuff from mom in the beginning breast milk. After that it's no different than formula. Thankfully, I'm not a cow and didn't have to be to have healthy children.

January 10, 2011 at 14:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Erin

Isn't formula made from cow's milk? So anyone saying babies should have formula instead of cow's milk... they're still getting it.

For breastmilk, WHO (world health organization) recommends breastfeeding at least until the age of 2. I don't see why some people think this is such a bad thing? If given the option, many children don't wean before 18 months – 2 years, but will self wean by 3 or 4.

January 10, 2011 at 14:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. So what I breasfed a toddler

I'd rather feed my 1 year old cow's milk or milk from any mammal for that matter than something produced in a factory with artificial ingredients, serioulsy, have you ever read the ingredients in formula? I breastfed my youngest until he was 2 1/2, until you've breastfed a child and one until that age you have no right to judge someone else on their decision, that being said my child also received cow's milk at age 1 in addition to breastmilk. I always buy milk with no growth hormones, although I believe a diet without milk is fine (mine is just because I don't like the taste of it) I believe a diet with milk is fine as well.

January 10, 2011 at 14:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • LEB

There is a third option... "milk" made from nuts, rice, or soy. Nut milks are very easy to make yourself if you have a good blender, and have a similar taste and consistency as skim milk. I cook with rice milk in place of cow's milk all the time. It results in less fat overall, and a lighter texture and flavor. I've gotten to where I can't drink cow's milk anymore. It tastes too heavy.

January 10, 2011 at 15:42 | Report abuse |
  23. mikey

Another thing well two things like me i love milk but can not drink it because of the calcium in cause me to have kidney stones. and the other thing with all the stuff they inject the cows with cause young girls to mature faster not mind wise but body wise like a 10 yr old i met in the store with her mom the girl had the body of a 15 yr old her mom said she started at 8 and she is teased all the time and crys all the time. i asked if i could give her some advise and talked to the girl and told her to just ignore them and if the tease you just turn and say yea well it just ment god loved me more then you her mom started laughing and said that is good thanks.

January 10, 2011 at 14:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • I hope

Mikely – I hope you are just learning to read and write because this post is painful to read without some strong coffee!

January 10, 2011 at 18:08 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

The newest information available says that your body produces kidney stones due to lack of calcium, not too much. Look into it so that you don't get reoccuring kidney stones.

January 10, 2011 at 18:26 | Report abuse |
  24. Fran182

Cow's milk is for cows, human milk is for humans.

January 10, 2011 at 15:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Todd

Then what is coconut milk for?

January 10, 2011 at 17:56 | Report abuse |
    • Jared

@ Todd, don't be obtuse...there is no such thing as cocunut milk, it's coconut juice. I think milk implies it came from a teet, just cause it's white doesn't make it milk....cause I got some man milk but I can't get the old lady to touch a drop. :)

February 8, 2011 at 11:13 | Report abuse |
  25. Dairy may not be as good as you think.

Before you give your kid milk, or yourself milk for that matter, do yourself a favor and read "Whitewash: the Disturbing Truth About Cow's Milk and Your Health." by Joseph Keon. Seriously. What can it hurt? You may say, "interesting..." or you may say, "rubbish". Either way at least you will have some new knowledge to answer your own question with. Hopefully you don't think that reading a short book is too much for your child? If so, you have already lost.

January 10, 2011 at 15:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. William

Just lookup lactose intolerance in Wikipedia and check out the table of cuteral groups affected. This should be a
    big clue that humans aren't meant to drink cows milk. Occams Razor.

January 10, 2011 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mimi_nef

Look up nothing in Wikipedia. Take no statistics or ideologies from Wikipedia. Wikipedia has no verifiable, quantifiable proof.

January 10, 2011 at 18:57 | Report abuse |
  27. karen

There are some moms that would breast feed until Prom if they could. Yuck.

January 10, 2011 at 15:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lillian

No, there aren't. Judgmental much?

January 10, 2011 at 17:30 | Report abuse |
  28. Dairy Dellusion

One recent comment on this story tells the story best: YES, your 1-year-old should have dairy milk but only if your 1-year-old is a calf.

Dairy milk is for calves, not humans.

The dairy lobbyists - including Paul Rovey and his $165,000,000 budget - have worked very hard to get you to ask questions like this and they have paid good money to have pediatricians answer it the way it was above.

If you would like your child to develop skin problems, respiratory challenges and bone density issues, then perhaps cow's milk is a good idea.

Before drinking milk or subjecting our children to it, please ready Dairy Delusion, which you can get for free online - just Google "Dairy Delusion'.

January 10, 2011 at 15:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Anna

It's all about personal preference. I don't care if I see a mom breastfeeding her 3 year old, if it works for them, hey more power to them. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that but that's me. Same with vegans. If you don't like the idea of drinking cow's milk fine, good for you, me and my son we love milk. He'd suck milk straight out of a cow's teat before he would touch mine :)

January 10, 2011 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Dierk

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends breastfeeding until 1 year of age. The World Health Organization recommends breast feeding until 2 years of age. Breast milk is free, natural, sterile (it better be or there are other issues going on), and very likely better for the health of the child. It seems that every year, more ingredients in breast milk are discovered that are not in formula. Seems better to just assume that our bodies know better than formula companies as to what ingredients are best.

January 10, 2011 at 17:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. brianNH

I gave all my kids shots of whiskey and vitamin pills starting at age 1, and they turned out great

January 10, 2011 at 17:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. mikey

What i have been told and read some women have been know to breast feed along with food till the children get to the age 6 now to me that is to old

January 10, 2011 at 18:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. Doc

Please give your children formula or milk or breast milk.... It really doesn't make any proven difference after one year.

Just don't give your children juice, sweet tea, juice boxes, soda or sports drinks... Teach them to drink water and teach them that what we drink does not always have to be sweet.... For this is the source of obesity, diabetes, osteoporosis etc.

January 10, 2011 at 18:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. BigBaby

I am breastfeeding right now

January 10, 2011 at 18:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Hungry

I am eatng Lucky Charms with breast milk right now... mmmm, Marshmallows

January 10, 2011 at 20:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. Out-of-date Research

Wow Dr. Shu... Apparently your opinions are out of date with current research. These days with the rising epidemic of obesity in this country the recommendation for children is not whole milk, it's skim or 1%. And most researchers agree that at 1 or 2 years this is what should be given to children. The vitamin level is virtually the same so the only benefit of whole milk is fat, which in most cases is not needed. There is no shortage of fat in our diet and even at the age of 1 most kids are already getting plenty without giving them whole milk.

January 10, 2011 at 20:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bekah

What are you feeding a one-year old that has a lot of fat, besides whole milk and cheese? A one-year old shoud be eating fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads and cereals...healthy things. A one-year old who is eating healthy foods will not be getting a lot of fat from other sources. There is no need to feed skim milk to a one year old!

January 10, 2011 at 23:10 | Report abuse |
  37. mikey

@valerie i have a kidney condition that takes the calcium out of all dairy foods and puts it in my kidney which then makes the stones and i will tell you they are very pain full imagine you take velcro and pull it apart well in a way that is what the stone is doing while it pass's thru, my stones have spikes on them .nd it rips and tears so i hope no one here gets them it is almost like have a baby even a woman i know said she would rather have a baby over a kidney stone

January 10, 2011 at 21:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. rick rick

This mainstream doctor is so brainwashed/enslaved to the dairy industry, she doesn't even mention to make sure the milk is at the very least free of pesticides and growth hormones. We are talking about a 1 or 2 year old!!!

Furthermore, no one (especially developing children) should be drinking milk... period. It's not natural and dangerous to your health. there are many books on the subject; I suggest parents search them on Amazon...

January 10, 2011 at 22:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. sw

IMHO there are a few questions to ask first, before giving cows milk to a young child. Are there any milk allergies in the family? Are any members of your family prone to earaches and sinus infections, which often indicates milk allergies. My husband and I both threw up our formula as babies. Formula was heavily marketed in the 1950s. We were sickly kids who caught everything. We met as young adults and eventually realized that milk was running down our immune systems. We stopped all milk in our diets. We very seldom catch anything now, but milk is very hard to avoid. It is present in most bread and french fries are rolled in a powder containing powdered milk to make them brown more quickly.

January 10, 2011 at 23:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Maria

Seriously? This is something that is posted as news now? Most any pediatrician will tell you formula and/or breastmilk until the age of one. Then switch to whole milk. Then switch the toddler at age 2 to 2% or even 1% milk.

January 11, 2011 at 00:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Sonya

I stopped drinking cow's milk in my early twenties due to lactose intolerance which I suffered from for years before being able to completely stop consuming milk. It wasn't easy but I didn't want to continue to suffer just for a glass of milk or a cup of yogurt. Now, I'm nursing my 3 month old infant and supplementing with organic formula. My pediatrician informed me that the "World Heath Organization" recommends continuing breast feeding until the age of 2.5 years. The benefit to the child is not just nutritional. The substances in human milk are not only perfectly digested by infants but also improve brain function and development leading to higher intelligence, as well as providing the infant with immunity to viruses, etc. It is believe that breast fed children are not only far less likely to get sick and/or hospitalized but that they also have higher I.Q.'s than non-breast fed children. Human breast milk is very complex. It contains living cells such as white cells and other substances which are not yet fully understood by science. The numerous health benefits of breast feeding having been well established for years, but breast fed babies should receive other forms of nutrition such as vitamins and whole foods to insure that they don't experience nutritional deficiencies. My child gets liquid vitamins added to his formula feedings and when he gets old enough we will introduce healthy foods to start him on the right path.

January 11, 2011 at 01:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. revadaley

Very true that major brands do give out samples on their products, search online for "123 Get Samples" we just got ours today. You wont need CC.

January 11, 2011 at 03:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. S

I think I will continue to get my medical advice from my Pediatrician and not a bunch of people on some news blog, especially after reading these comments. BF both kids for over a year, whole milk until 2, then skim (Organic). Both kids are healthy, thin, rarely get sick and so far my 5 year old is reading at a second grade level as well as doing basic math. Support BF 100% however for how long is everyones personal choice. As far as drinking milk not natural and we are the only mammals to drink other species milk well, come on people HUMANS do A LOT of things other mammals don't do.

January 11, 2011 at 15:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Clenbuterol

Cow's milk is not pure now a days,instead packed milk can be used..

Clenbuterol

January 13, 2011 at 02:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Sara

OK, the whole (no pun intended) argument that humans should not drink cows milk or goats milk because no other species does this is ridiculous. No other species cooks their food like we do, or refrigerates it, or purchases it in a market, so does that mean we should forgo cooking and refrigeration and eating anything we did not catch and kill with our own two hands because it is "unnatural"? If you think it will make your kid fat or stupid or allergic, and you are really convinced that milk alone, and not a sedentary lifestyle and tons of sugar, is going to determine this, then don't give your kid milk. But for the love of sanity, don't base what you think is a healthy diet for your child on what other species do and do not eat! Because bunnies eat their own poop and I've seem a chimp pull the head straight off a bunny and eat it, so imitation is probably not a nutritionally sound diet selection criteria.

January 14, 2011 at 12:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. PimmyZ

What STUPID question. Hopefully the inquirer has no kids. If the particular idiot in question does have kids they should be taken away and put into an orphanage.

January 17, 2011 at 09:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Jared

Cows milk is intended for calfs, who put on about 1000lbs in their first year of life. True it does contain nutrients, protien, (available from many other sources too) but also hormones, which is why the dairy cow continues to lactate despite not having recently delivered a newborn calf. Feed your 1 year old milk if you want to, it may do no harm but don't buy the dairy industry's line that "milk does a body good."

February 8, 2011 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  48. Sharon, Austin TX

February 5, 2012 at 22:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Kim

Wow – my first thought is that this sounds almost anti-breastfeeding after a year – as if you should "switch" to cows milk from breastfeeding. I hope people further research before making their own decisions for their children. How irresponsible not to take the opportunity to point out the continued health benefits of breastfeeding longer.

March 2, 2012 at 13:11 | Report abuse | Reply