home
RSS
New Facebook furor over breastfeeding images
January 5th, 2011

New Facebook furor over breastfeeding images

Our friends at Parenting.com are taking note of the latest round in the social media  battle over photos of breastfeeding women.

Last weekend,  Facebook,  deleted The LeakyB@@b, a support page for nursing mothers, saying the images on the pages violated its terms of service.

Facebook took removed the page on Sunday, then put it back up Tuesday, saying its deletion was a mistake. Then Facebook took it down again Tuesday night. And on Wednesday, put it back up in the early afternoon. In the meantime other groups popped up to support the Boob.

Read Parenting's full account of  the page's roller coaster ride.

We'll echo Parenting's question:  Moms, have you or any of your friends ever had any breastfeeding photos deleted by Facebook? Do you consider photos of nursing to be obscene?

Filed under: Breastfeeding • Children's Health

1. creamcorn

this whole issue is stupid

January 7, 2011 at 09:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Protect your Children

I have to agree with Facebook on this one. I think people forget that what you post online stays online. They need to think about their child who will soon be a teenager and still be able to see a picture of them sucking on their mother's boob 16 years ago. How embarrassing for them, yes, nursing is natural and a reality but we don't remember it for a reason. You also have to remember that their are sick people out there that will look at pictures like this for their own sick enjoyment. People need to keep in mind that the internet is public and your children are precious so be careful of what you post.

January 7, 2011 at 09:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • findingfaithbuildingfamily

I tend to be very careful of my children, and agree that people should put much more thought into what they post. However, I disagree with your premise here. For those who breastfeed and have more than one child, the older children are routinely exposed to breastfeeding. They are raised to view it as natural and normal. I speak from personal experience here-my 6-yr-old not only knows that our new baby will "get milk from Mommy" but that he did too. I am a stay-at-home mom, so he saw when I was breastfeeding our now 2-yr-old as well. I WANT him to grow up viewing breastfeeding as a good thing so that he will be able to support his future wife in any feeding decision she makes without being "weirded out" by the whole thing.

November 18, 2012 at 21:08 | Report abuse |
  3. Donna

Breastfeeding photos are showing off, and why not? We show pics of our pregnant bellies, our new babies, ourselves in general. Breastfeeding is awesome, babies are awesome, moms are awesome. put together in a picture, that's an amount of "incredible" that should be celebrated. Boobs are no more obscene or inappropriate than that hamburger you shove into your face when used in a manner for feeding. Breast milk is certainly healthier as well.
    Deb, the idea that you want your husband to act as if he is aroused by ANYTHING having to do with infants is disturbing. Be careful, or he may end up with a reputation as a possible pedophile. As far as right wing Christians, one would think that they should be supporting breastfeeding almost exclusively-since God put breasts on our chests to feed children. Breastmilk is the perfect food for human infants, designed by God for them, and should be treated as such. Finally, it is possible to breastfeed uncovered modestly, all it takes is a nursing tank and a comfortable, loose shirt. No blankets are necessary if you are well practiced-in fact, nothing screams "I'M BREASTFEEDING! LOOK AT ME!" like a blanket tossed over your shoulder.

January 7, 2011 at 11:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Suzanne

Well – G_d puts wieners on dudes so they can procreate... you don't see them whipping it out and mating with women in public, do you?

Point is – what's normal to you isn't necessarily normal to other people. Living gracefully means being respectful of other people who might not share your beliefs, and part of that is accepting that there's a cultural "thing" about breastfeeding that skeeves people out. I personally think that if a mother must breastfeed her child in a public place (yes, I know it happens), then she ought to cover it up. That way, we ALL know what she's doing, and we can ALL respect it and say "aww, isn't that beautiful!" without seeing someone's nip.

January 7, 2011 at 12:13 | Report abuse |
    • Donna

God also put penises on men to rid themselves of waste materials. Waste materials with plenty of toxins..plus the stuff stinks. Hence not whipping it out in public. Breasts don't share that distinction.

January 7, 2011 at 12:27 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Suzanne, WHY are you so skeeved out? Why are you even looking?
      When I was deployed in the middle east, women nursed their infants pretty much everywhere. There WERE family areas in the restaurants, but they also nursed in cars, in the seats in the middle of the mall, wherever baby was hungry.
      Where YOU complain, the Wahabi Muslims didn't even take notice. But then, most of those women WERE Wahabi Muslims.
      That say quite a lot about YOU, doesn't it?

January 7, 2011 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
    • Lojack

Donna, urine is sterile.

April 10, 2014 at 13:50 | Report abuse |
  4. Wzrd1

You are perfectly welcome to do so, PimmyZ. And I will also hold you at gunpoint for the police to take away.
    The police REALLY like people who are excited at looking at little babies. They like to get REAL close to them.
    And tell the others in the jail JUST what a pervert you are.

January 7, 2011 at 14:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Taco Lady

@ Wzrd1

Although I think PimmyZs comment is creepy and disturbed he has a point. Let's say he wasn't visibly excited but just staring you down? The cops haven't yet found away to arrest people for being staring creeps.

January 10, 2011 at 11:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Arglebargle

So many Americans on one hand are ignorant prudes ("You can't show a woman's breasts! That's obscene!") and on the other insufferable, adolescent creeps ("Look man, boobies!"). It's amazing how much of the world is so much more advanced with the respect to nudity and the human body than we are.

The reaction to breastfeeding in public is a perfect example.

January 15, 2011 at 14:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Holy Moses

Dont think so Wzrd. Pimmy is correct...no law against watching a woman breast feed her child in public. I suggest you rethink you stance as it could be you that finds yourself behind bars.

January 17, 2011 at 10:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Erica

Feeding an infant should not be equated with urinating or relegated to hiding in a closet somewhere! Breast milk is always the right temperature, requires no mixing or special containers nor is there any special handling required to be safe enough for a baby. What the heck? What sort of moron is offended by sight of an infant being held to it's mother's breast in what can only be described as the most natural demonstration of mothering a human woman can exhibit?

January 17, 2011 at 20:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. ieat

I remember Brad pitt has some pics of angelina jolie nursing her twins in some magazine. I don't see ANYONE calling that obscene.

January 18, 2011 at 15:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. sillyGurl

Oh, it's just boobs for crying out loud and it's stopping a child from crying out loud and disturbing you while you shop or eat or whatever it is you are doing. I think we need more pictures of people breastfeeding their kids, not less, maybe more exposure will help people get it into their heads that it is "not a big deal", someone is feeding their kid. Seriously, how amazing is that. Everyone just needs to chill out, and for those people who think it should be discreet, well, ideally that would be nice, but heck, it was tricky for me, I tried to be discreet but I'm darn uncoordinated and my son wasn't the most coordinated either. I did the best I could but I probably flashed one or two people, when your kid is crying and your boobs are leaking...nothing else to do but whip that puppy out. Come people why are we taking everything so seriously...people shooting other people, now that's some serious crap, pictures of women feeding their kids and being proud to do so...not so serious.

January 18, 2011 at 17:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. FelixTheCat

Why does anyone even think about this?

January 20, 2011 at 18:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. jstmoi

I breastfed each of my children. In all of the years I breastfed in publlic, no one saw my breasts. However, there are a lot of women who walk around in halter tops or low-cut shirts that show far more of their breasts than I ever have. No one seems to complain about that!

January 23, 2011 at 22:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lojack

I'm not complaining!

April 10, 2014 at 13:53 | Report abuse |
  13. Lamont Taft

All of the puritans need to grow up and get a life.

January 25, 2011 at 12:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. mama goose

this makes me sad. why do we have to argue about feeding a baby? if everyone would focus a little more on themselves and a little less on what everyone else is doing maybe we could be happy.

May 10, 2011 at 15:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • MaleNurse

You mean worry about the plank in their own eye before concerning themselves with the speck in their neighbor's? what a concept!

June 21, 2012 at 15:35 | Report abuse |
  15. Tallphopods

В наше срок, строительство и строительные работы являются
    одними из самых насущных видов деятельности человека.

November 12, 2011 at 18:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. novosti-stroi

Дымоходы и бойлеры отличного качества и нагрева – тепло семейного очага, огульно для вашего уюта.

November 12, 2011 at 18:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. PerofineRof

Заметки строителя… много информации по строительству и ремонту.

November 13, 2011 at 16:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Jane

Breastfeeding is NOT obscene. People just need to mind their own business! They see more skin and boobs on television or even just in the city. I am a breastfeeding mother and I am starting to get irritated at anyone who says that how I feed my child is disgusting.
    I was smart and never even made a facebook account!!!! And I moved to the other side of the country from my own mother! She was giving me a headache. :-)

February 2, 2012 at 16:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. chita welch

I am almost 70 years old. I breastfed all four of my children. My oldest son contracted the mumps when he was 8 mos. old & he stopped nursing on his own because it hurt him so much. He was already drinking out of a sippy cup, so he made the transition easily. He never wanted to nurse again. My other three children were nursed until 2-3yrs old. Twice I was cautioned to stop nursing them after I became pregnant with another baby. My oldest girl cried the first time she saw her newborn baby brother nurse. She wanted to nurse, too. She was 2 1/2 yrs old at the time. I would put her in my lap with a sippy cup & nurse her baby brother on the opposite side. She was okay & gave up nursing easily.

My youngest daughter only weighed 5lbs 2 oz. when born due to a malformed umbilical cord. She was nursed until she was 2 1/2, also. She had a blood disorder when very young. I dare say that my breastfeeding her helped in her ultimate recovery from it. The doctors at a large children's hospital in Houston could not tell us why she got it, or how to cure it. I think that she probably had an allergy or sensitivity to something in the environment of where we lived at the time. She slowly improved & got well after we moved to west Texas where the air was cleaner & purer. She continued to nurse until she was fully recovered. She stopped nursing on her own when she no longer needed the nutrition and/or comfort of the breastfeeding.

I highly recommend breastfeeding. When my second daughter was a baby, the La Leche League in Dallas, Texas asked for nursing mothers to contribute their excess breastmilk to a hospital there. There was a tiny baby born who was allergic to all formula except for breast milk. I collected my breastmilk, froze it in bottles supplied by the hospital, gave it to a volunteer from the La Leche League who came to my house to collect it, & watched the newspaper accounts of how that baby started to thrive & how his own mother was able to finally get her milk to come in after much help from the hospital.

I am not a fanatical, La Leche League member. I never was a member. I had never heard about this new parentlng technique until today. I just did what my mother & grandmother & great-grandmother had done with their children. I thought everyone knew to nuture, feed, & lovingly parent their babies. Who knew it was a new technique? I certainly didn't.

I have four well-rounded, caring adult children that contribute to society & to their own families. I highly recommend breastfeeding. I think it should be done with respect for those around you. Just put a light blanket or diaper over the baby so others who might be uncomfortable seeing a baby nurse don't have to complain about what to others is a natural thing.

Who is embarrassed by a mother cow, mother goat, mother cat, or mother dog nursing their babies? It doesn't quite make sense that we humans are shocked by what we deem to be normal in other species. I guess I just don't understand some people's thinking.

I do know that breastfeeding sure worked well for me & my children. It has worked for my grandchildren, too. I'm glad of that for I think they are precious, precocious children.

May 11, 2012 at 12:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. MaleNurse

Who decided that the female breast was a purely sexual part of the body? Certainly psychologists agree that it does play a part in the initial male attraction to females, but this part of the caveman brain is making sure that his offspring can be FED, and thus survive.

Human breast milk has been proven to assist in brain development, establishing a closer parental bond, as well as protecting the infant from diseases as antibodies are passed through breast milk. The infant's immature immune system can not protect the infant as well with just formula.There is even evidence that women who have breastfed have a reduced chance of getting breast cancer.

More women should be breast feeding if they are able, and they cannot do that without support, which is what this face book site was intended to do. Breastfeeding is in no way obscene, and people should exercise their own filter and no go to the page if it offends them. I believe that the pictures should be allowed. Getting the knack of breastfeeding can be tricky, and the pictures can help with that. I know as I have taught Breastfeeding to new moms, and getting things just right in the beginning can be tricky. Baby is inexperienced, mom is inexperienced, pics assist with that as they can see for themselves what works. They may even be discussing (gasp!) "does this garment cover me appropriately?"

As for the comments about requiring a mother to breastfeed in the restroom, that is a terrible idea. (1) it placed a feeling of doing something "wrong" or shameful" on the mother, when it clearly is not. (2) the toilet area is filled with bacteria and viruses that the immature immune system of the infant cannot defend against.

I do tend to agree that images of many of the teen females, as well as magazines in the supermarket show much more breast and in a much more inappropriate manner than anything a breastfeeding mother is doing.

Main point: As a support site, images of women breastfeeding are not inappropriate nor lewd and should be allowed. People not wishing to view should spend their time elsewhere.

June 21, 2012 at 15:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Kelsye

You can publish pictures of a half dressed drunk woman with her boobs and butt hanging out but heaven forbid you publish a baby nursing. Wow...really...boobs are for nursing not for sex toys

December 5, 2012 at 15:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. comment pirater un compte facebook

They are, in my humble opinion, one of the
    most fun and creative Facebook Business Page features
    and something else that a Facebook Profile cannot offer.
    But to make money online with Facebook, you need to be very creative.
    With that in mind, the page created should be a digital representation of your class and curriculum, not
    a page that is strictly teacher-oriented.

April 7, 2014 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. trouver un mot de passe facebook

Adultery, as I have stated previously, causes spouses and families untold pain.
    While it may be difficult at first, take some time away from the site.
    However, once a page gets enough likes the scammers sell the
    page to an advertiser who magically gains access to hundreds of thousands
    or more newsfeeds.