home
RSS
December 27th, 2010

Stop smoking: Follow the President's example

The White House says President Obama has kicked the habit and stopped smoking.

"It's been probably about nine months since he last smoked a cigarette," says Robert Gibbs, the President's press secretary, in an interview with CNN. "He's done enormously well in quitting. It was a commitment that I think he made to himself at the end of health care and with his two daughters in mind."

Mr. Obama, like a lot of smokers, has quit before and started back up again. This time may be different. Gibbs says this is the longest he's known the President to go without a cigarette. Research shows people who stop smoking for three months often don't relapse.

Gibbs says President Obama quit by chewing Nicorette gum and exercising a lot of will power. You can follow the President's example.

1. Set a target quit date: "Make it a week or two in advance," says Glen Morgan, a clinical psychologist with the National Cancer Institute's Tobacco Control Research Branch. "Think about what the challenging situations are to prepare for."

2. Get rid of all cigarettes: "Get them out of the house," Morgan says. You want to remove the temptation.

3. Tell your friends and family: You want to be sure they know, so they can support you in your effort.

4. Talk to your doctor about anti-smoking medications: "Get guidance from them," says Morgan "They may suggest trying medication in addition to behavior changes."

Nicotine replacement products like Nicorette and Commit lozenges, as well two drugs without nicotine, Chantix and Zyban, are approved by the Food and Drug Administration to help smokers quit.

1. larrywi

So he quit smoking, and not by his on accord. He used a crutch, and he is still using it!! I'm not impressed, any strong willed person can quit all their own, if they really want to. I gave up cig's 32 yrs ago, simply threw them out one day, and gave all of my prized Zippo lighters away, and it was no big deal!

December 28, 2010 at 08:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. boocat

I quit for 2 years and started again. I smoke about 2 packs a week now. The reason I started again is that I LIKE IT! My granfather smoked cigars and lived 92 years. My father smoked cigarettes and lived 83 years. Smoking DOES NOT kill everyone. And I don't believe the b.s. about second hand smoke. Name one person who died from second hand smoke. You can't because it's a lie.

December 28, 2010 at 09:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank

No it is not a lie. It can be proven. The cancer cells that is caused by tobacco is very different than the other ancer cells.

December 28, 2010 at 09:07 | Report abuse |
    • Death in the family

Christopher Reeves wife Dana Reeve died of Lung Cancer due to 2nd hand smoke. Dana was a singer in a nightclub. They have proven her lungs were damaged due to 2nd hand smoke...damaged lungs lead to CANCER!

December 28, 2010 at 10:51 | Report abuse |
    • Janet

I lost a number of relatives to smoking related diseases. I don't wish it on anyone and I implore smokers to quit. Why hurt your family? They want you around. 😦

December 28, 2010 at 12:31 | Report abuse |
    • bobby

you don't really enjoy smoking, that is the drug addiction talking. http://quitsmokingwithoutpain.blogspot.com/

November 25, 2012 at 21:28 | Report abuse |
  3. kouli

Award winning news.Obamas smoking,Obamas eating icecream cone.Obama passing gas,obesity national security.eating hotdogs and chilli.Do i really care?It has to be more human suffering news than that.People can not afford to buygas to go to work if they are lucky to have a job and the fine reporting corpe is telling us about Obamas vacation.Ithink he deserves a rest after working hard to drive this country to the bottom.

December 28, 2010 at 09:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. NoleGirl

Why is everyone so concerned about his smoking?? Leave the President alone, he is a grown man and can do what he wants. I wish him the best in whatever he chooses!!

December 28, 2010 at 09:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • AnonMD

Thank you! Finally, an adult opinion...

December 28, 2010 at 12:14 | Report abuse |
  5. NoleGirl

Wish it was this easy to post on Fox news site, they make it impossible to post a comment. Just another good reason to not read Fox crap!

December 28, 2010 at 09:09 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Dick Hertz

Screw Obama. Now that he doesn't smoke he'll have more time for the Job he hasn't been doing. Fifteen million wetbacks working while 10% of America is unemployed and $3.00 a gal. at the pumps is proof of that. What ever happened to " If I'm Elected I'll see to it that Big Oil pays it's fair share? Well,we'll see you in 2012.

December 28, 2010 at 09:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cole

Well, from that point of view, he should take it up again to help cope with stress.

December 28, 2010 at 09:15 | Report abuse |
    • Frank

Cole, you have answered my previous question. Either you work for the tobacco industry or you are an idiot.

December 28, 2010 at 09:19 | Report abuse |
  7. Frank

If smoking is not so bad, why do we not see tobacco executives smoking?

December 28, 2010 at 09:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. jim

He stopped smoking cigarettes and is now into ganga.

December 28, 2010 at 09:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Frank

I do not understand how any one in their right mind, can defend tobacco. Even when I smoked I could not defend it, I knew exactly the health risks and always wanted to quit, but I did not have the courage to fight the addiction. One day at a time now and it is getting better.

December 28, 2010 at 09:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jacknyd

Frank, i totally agree with you and i was a smoker for 32 years But this isn't about it being good or not good for you, Adults have a legal right to choose what they do, and in no way should have other people telling them what they can and can not do. Last time i looked, smoking was legal. Cars kill more people than doctors can prove smoking has yet no one wants to give up there driving cause of fumes. Would be too inconvenient for them,

December 28, 2010 at 09:59 | Report abuse |
    • SMOKING IS NOT THE SAME AS DRIVING YOU RETARD!

Stop using this argument. It does NOT work. It has nothing to do with rights and everything to do with you poisoning MY AIR!
      I choose not to drive so as not to add to pollution. I actually care about my fellow man. I hope you feel good that you are choking innocent children to death and killing people with your selfish hateful act. I hope that you are shown no mercy when someone hurts you.

December 28, 2010 at 12:34 | Report abuse |
  10. Shell

I smoked for 15 years and quit over a year ago using Chantix. Now the very smell of them disgust me.

December 28, 2010 at 09:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank

Great. I wish I had started to quit early.

December 28, 2010 at 09:30 | Report abuse |
  11. Todd

Both my father and brother were dedicated and lifelong smokers. Throat cancer for my father, lung cancer for my brother who died within 40 days of diagnosis. My father died at 78. My brother at 58. Both too young.

December 28, 2010 at 09:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Frank

Tobacco executives do not even use their own product, because they know what it does to people. Tobacco companies have known for a long time the damage to health that thier product causes.

So why would anyone question the damage that tobacco does? Tobacco executives do not question it and they should know they make the cigs.

December 28, 2010 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Pradheep

Me pceare bastante adecuado que se pongan manos a la obra en este sentido, es urgente minimizar el impacto de la extracción de hidrocarburos.

February 1, 2012 at 00:18 | Report abuse |
    • bcjjumxj

Dc80vU fnffmltponbv

February 3, 2012 at 12:17 | Report abuse |
    • bshnjom

IkcpkT nigdzgqjvaek

February 6, 2012 at 04:15 | Report abuse |
  13. Turk

I started smoking the electronic cigarette about 1 1/2 years ago. I started with the medium strength nicotine, then switched to low, and then 0. After smoking the 0mg juice for about 2 months, I stopped smoking altogether. It was so much easier than using the nicotine gum or patch. I have been smoke free for about 5 months now. I am so glad I quit. Never again!!! To everyone out there, if you want to quit, I strongly suggest trying the e-cigs. It worked for me.

December 28, 2010 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Jacknyd

He says he quit?, but like all the other lies he told the people, who's to say he didn't sneak off to have a cig. every now and then, or still does??? I don't believe anything this Muslim says.

December 28, 2010 at 09:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Jrad

No one ever really quits smoking

December 28, 2010 at 10:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Sarah

Mom had lung cancer surgery. They slice you in 4 spots in your ribs, 2 for the cameras, one for a garden hose for drainage and 1 for the knife, she spent 9 days in the hospital, the garden hose in her lung the whole time. Half her left lung is gone now, she's unable to breath very well, can't walk a half a block and SHE QUIT SMOKING 21 YRS AGO!

December 28, 2010 at 10:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul

That's the problem Sarah. The entrenched ban-tax-harassment experts marginalize examples like this when their credibility, reputations, and livelihoods are questioned:
      Despite that there are no end to the pundits who repeat the ideology of evil big tobacco as its patsy. Why not? With the MSA of 1998 and the FSPTC act of 2009 no media dissent is allowed.
      NCI and the alphabet ASO's are good at torturing numbers until they say anything they want.
      This myopic prevention program is making claims that become more and more absurd to maintain the status quo ante while you & I shudder in dread hoping not to become the next victim, all-the-while the bottom line of drug companies, and their sycophants swell.

December 28, 2010 at 17:52 | Report abuse |
  17. find4more

If you want to stop smoking, cold turkey is the best way. NRT is only 1-2% more effective than the placebo, and Chantix is downright dangerous; a lot more dangerous than smoking. Smoking has been banned from submarines, effective January 1. The Navy doesn't authorize the use of Zyban or Chantix because both can have serious side effects and impair judgment.

I think it's really sad that there are so many FDA-approved drugs out there that cause conditions worse than the ones they are supposed to "cure".

December 28, 2010 at 13:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. wawaa

u all crazy!

December 31, 2010 at 03:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Benz - lung cancer symptoms

I like to read this article, this talk about cancer.
    I hope that everyone can understand what causes cancer.
    if you have time please visit to my blog.

regards
    Benz

January 6, 2011 at 15:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Игорь

Каждый выбирает то, что ему удобней в этой жизни.

January 20, 2011 at 05:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Matthew Barbian

Hence in a nutshell the easiest method to add an truthful and appropriate policy could be to begin with to the right feet. Have a report you do not deviate faraway from. Request questions which come in your thoughts and don't fret to keep asking them questions if they occur over the rest of any artwork project.
    paint zoom consumer reviews

June 19, 2011 at 07:53 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Rex Pilbin

text

July 21, 2011 at 20:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Dimple Spinka

Taking on an allotment plot is a exhilarating experience, but to the novice gardener it may seem like a daunting task After waiting for many months or even years, you get the phone call you didn't believe you'd receive; in fact you probably forgot it was coming. You have reached the top of the waiting list and that you are now eligible for a plot. you are now 30 years older, do you realy feel like it now

November 27, 2011 at 22:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. end smoking now

A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment. I do believe that you need to publish more about this subject matter, it might not be a taboo matter but usually folks don't discuss such subjects. To the next! All the best!!

March 7, 2012 at 05:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. stop smoking video

It’s nearly impossible to find knowledgeable people on this topic, however, you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

May 15, 2012 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. mark

Woah this blog is fantastic i like studying your articles. Keep up the great paintings! You understand, many people are searching round for this information, you can aid them greatly.

November 26, 2012 at 17:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. cigarette

That is a great tip especially to those new to the blogosphere. Short but very precise information… Thank you for sharing this one. A must read post!

March 12, 2013 at 18:54 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. backlink

My partner and I completely adore your blog and discover almost all of your post's to be exactly what I'm searching for. Would you provide guest writers to create content material for you personally personally? I wouldn't thoughts publishing a post or elaborating on a few of the topics you create associated to right here. Again, amazing web log! backlink http://fiverr.com/twnseobacklink

April 24, 2013 at 23:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Dan Jenner

Thank you for this great post! What Pres. Obama did is just an inspiration for all of us. I understand how difficult quitting a habit, but there is no one who can help you except yourself. Please check this website: http://www.sbicouncil.org/e-cig-brands-and-reviews-for-2014, this might help you. Very inspiring!

July 17, 2014 at 06:53 | Report abuse | Reply