home
RSS
Marijuana use overtakes smoking in teens
December 15th, 2010

Marijuana use overtakes smoking in teens

Marijuana use among high school-aged kids is on the rise, according to a new study, and has overtaken cigarette smoking among 12th-graders specifically.

The Monitoring the Future Survey - compiled from 46,000  anonymous questionnaires given to teens – found that 8% of  eighth-graders say they've smoked marijuana within the past 30 days, up from 6.5% just last year. More than 16.7% of 10th-graders and 21.4% of 12th graders say they've smoked pot within the last month as well.

Only 19.2% of 12th-graders are smoking cigarettes in any given month.

"We've seen marijuana use rising among teens for the last several years, but the rates rose significantly in 2010," said Lloyd Johnston, a distinguished research professor at the University of Michigan, and the lead study researcher.

Johnston and his team also found that more than 6% of high school seniors say they're smoking pot on a daily basis.

While they do not have concrete reasons as to why marijuana use has increased, Johnston says he believes it may be related to increased public discussion about the drug's safety.

"There's a good chance that the widespread discussion of the medical marijuana issue, and more recent discussions about fully legalizing the drug may be conveying the notion that it's not as dangerous," he said.

In addition to their findings on marijuana, the researchers found ecstasy use was on the rise – up a half percent in both 10th and 12th-graders since the 2009 survey.

"Ecstasy fell in popularity in the early 2000's, and remained at quite low levels," Johnston said. "It's still not at high levels, but it's clear this drug is making a comeback."

Over the 36-year history of the survey, Johnston says that as the perceived risks of taking a drug like ecstasy decrease, its use tends to increase; and the trends seem to be cyclical.

"These current high school kids were so young when the last ecstasy epidemic occurred, so they forget risks," Johnston said. "I believe there is a 'generational forgetting' of the risks of these drugs."

Use of other illicit drugs such as crystal meth and cocaine and binge drinking rates continue to decline.

1. Tommas

"We shall, by and by, want a world of hemp more for our own consumption."
    - John Adams

December 15, 2010 at 14:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Pete

All I'm asking for is life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

December 15, 2010 at 14:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. agree

Marijauna is VERY safe! This is great news!! Humans are evolving so our physiology is making it easier for us to see when people are lying and we are realizing that we can grow up and interact with things that don't kill as long as we don't put anyone else in harms way!!

How we perceive our world and enjoy it should be our choice!!! There are several drugs that are SAFE and offer us a great time!

Just because you have to "take" something doesnt make it any different from anything! You want to turn on a computer, you push the button. You want to go for a hike, you drive to the mountains. Everything has a vehicle. Why can't some drugs be vehicles that bring us to places that millions seem to enjoy enough to risk doing something illegal!!

December 15, 2010 at 14:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. svscnn

Guess kids really are smarter these days. ;)

December 15, 2010 at 14:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Tommy

I did not read all the comments, But i do have a comment of my own.
    I never smoked cigarettes because they are nasty and pointless!!! I did however smoke Marijuanna because: first of all, it takes better and there is a point to it. 1.) It makes you happy (good for your health) 2.) It relaxes you (good for your health). It is not addictive and I know from my experience because one day I decided to stop smoking it and I had no problem giving it up.

The problem with Marijuanna now is that because it is illegal, the week that most people smoke is PURE GARBAGE and sometimes even mixed in with other things that we dont' even know how harmful they are.

The solution is!!! The government should LEGALIZE Marijuanna and have it Controlled the same way like it is done in Amsterdam. This way, the legal weed will be clean and crime rate will be down!

December 15, 2010 at 14:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. agree

I guess arresting 21 % of children and giving them felonies would make the world a better place! LOL

We are criminalizing curiosity that is natural in youth and throughout life and it makes me sick. Who do you people think you are to criminalize the natural human desire to explore different experiences? Why does that scare you so much?

December 15, 2010 at 14:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Zeek

Its been proven that over 50% of the mexican drug cartel's funding comes from selliing ditch weed to the US. We have a problem with all the violence on the border. Wouldnt it be logical to cut off their funding by legalizing? A strange thought I know.

December 15, 2010 at 14:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. andrew

maybe there getting better educated on the subjects and then make the logical decision, weed is better for you than cigarettes. who cares if they get high. as long as there not getting cancer.

December 15, 2010 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Reality Chews

Yes, that is why there is an increasing percentage of them graduating 12th grade not being able to read above a 4th grade level, yes we really need more of that (much sarcasm intended).

December 15, 2010 at 15:19 | Report abuse |
    • Mute

I want to come through this screen and punch that Reality Chews guy square in his teeth.

He's so ignorant it actually makes me feel stupid just being in a comments page where he has laid his cancerous thoughts into written form.

December 15, 2010 at 15:34 | Report abuse |
    • Reality Chews

Well Mute, come on by and give it a shot. But you still can't prove me wrong. And your posting above shows everyone else your maturity level. I am just hopeful that it does not match your actual age.

December 15, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
  9. Dirty Harry

Well DUH! That shows that regulation works. You need to show ID for tobacco and alcohol. That system works keeping both out of the hands of the young. There is no regulation for marijuana, only prohibition. That creates a black market on something that is safer than both of the above. Why is tobacco and alcohol use down in teens? Regulation works and they can't easily get tobacco and alcohol. A drug dealer does not care about age, does not ask for ID, and may offer other deadly hard drugs.

December 15, 2010 at 14:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Cartman42

Alchol and Tobacco is much worse than pot. Ever heard of someone smoking pot and beating up his girlfriend/wife? That's for good upstanding law abiding Alcohol drinkers.

December 15, 2010 at 15:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Mute

Alcohol is legal and staying that way, as is tobacco, and both can easily kill you.

Anyone ever look up how much nicotine it actually takes to kill you? It's a much smaller amount than most people would think, I promise you.

A small amount of nicotine is actually easy to extract from tobacco and makes for a lethal poison.
    Know how much THC it takes to kill someone? Neither does anyone else. And frankly, that's the way I'd like to go if I had my choice. :D

But seriously, I self medicate my anxiety disorder and the chronic nausea that comes with my depression with marijuana, and to be honest the only time I feel like a normal, sane, productive member of society is after I've smoked.

Not to mention it's MUCH cheaper than cigarettes and won't kill you.

When will people quit writing these moronic articles that lump marijuana together with alcohol, ecstasy, cocaine, meth and just about anything else just so they can fool the least intelligent people in this country into taking up a sword?

December 15, 2010 at 15:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. rak

I blame the Parents and the decline in moral principals as the United States falls in a 3rd world status. Yeah, producing 1 cell kids. Great Job!

December 15, 2010 at 15:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Reality Chews

You know, after reading these posts, from the ones promoting the smoking of pot and how safe, harmless, and healthy it is, I have come to the conclusion that no matter how hard a person tries to inform people, or suggest research for them to do, that Ron White is correct. You can't fix stupid. I have no problem with ignorance, that is just a lack of information. That is curable. Saying that, I am in favor of making it legal, controlled and taxed. I'm just saying it is at least as unhealthy, if not more so, than alcahol. I also agree with the poster that said "everything in moderation" because too much of anything is unhealthy.

December 15, 2010 at 15:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mute

Wow, just wow...

People like you get on the road and drive down the same streets as people like me?

It's scary to think that at a glance I might take you seriously had we ever met, especially because you're proof that brainwashing people is very real and scary.

Also: Before you talk about anything, please make sure you can spell it.. -_-

Nice trolling though.

December 15, 2010 at 15:32 | Report abuse |
    • Reality Chews

Ok mute, what part of my posting is a result of brainwashing? I'm just curious about your opinion. By the way, haven't your fingers ever made a typo from trying to type to fast or some other reason?

December 15, 2010 at 15:35 | Report abuse |
    • Reality Chews

By the way mute, I do know the word is "alcohol."

December 15, 2010 at 15:37 | Report abuse |
    • Mute

Okay, I know I'm falling for this and I really hate being trolled..

The part that was "the result of brainwashing" wasn't any one thing you said. You're so uninformed that I am actually kind of impressed that you're brave enough to try to talk to people about this, for that I commend you.

And I am not the only one on here to point out your lack of knowledge on this subject.

Honestly, if you want to share your opinions like a big boy that's fine, just read up on it first.

December 15, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse |
    • Mute

And yes, I have made typos.

Want to know a secret though? You can go back and fix them!

See that key above \?

It looks like this: [<-- Backspace]

Try hitting that next time you spell something wrong, champ.

December 15, 2010 at 15:42 | Report abuse |
    • Idiot Idiot Idiot

I agree with you wholeheartedly that you can't fix stupid. After hearing multiple accounts from people of all different backgrounds that HAVE ACTUALLY TRIED THE STUFF (adds a little credence to their argument), you continue to spout solid waste WHEN YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE and only speculation to comment with.

December 15, 2010 at 15:50 | Report abuse |
    • Hey Joe

Reality Chews, I don't believe a word you say about marijuana.

Please produce your evidence proving that marijuana is "at least as" harmful as alcohol.

December 15, 2010 at 15:51 | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

just give up man....just give up

December 15, 2010 at 16:00 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

Reality Chews, you are correct that most people don't do their homework before they post. I've spent the last hour reading some very conflicting information, including your much-touted Amsterdam studies (didn't find the Israeli info), and I have a Web site for you: http://www.drugpolicy.org/marijuana/factsmyths/. Keep the salt shaker handy as always, but it has some good information with scientific publications to back it up.

The truth is out there, but every group insists on spinning it to support their philosophy.

And those of you who insist on calling this person an ignorant troll or a brainwashed moron: enough with the name calling. Reality Chews may not be right about everything, but his/her comments are thoughtful and well-written, which is more than I can say for many of you.

December 15, 2010 at 16:09 | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

Atleast someone pities you.

December 15, 2010 at 16:26 | Report abuse |
    • Reality Chews

Mute,,,,no I am not trolling, you did not "fall" for anything. I was genuinely curious about what part of my posting you thought was brainwashing, so that I could give it due consideration. Yes I too have read the responses referring to my "lack of knowledge" on the subject. But I also noticed is that most of them just said I was ignorant and called me names and insulted me, but no one had any facts or suggested research so I could verify which one of us is correct. I have found some conflicting information from various sources and studies, then I tried to look into the perspective of the one doing the study, such as who financed it, etc. So I could give a reasonable judgement of its reliability. As far as the type, I do type over 100 words a minute and catch most of them and correct then with your suggested key combination. But sometimes I miss one.

December 15, 2010 at 16:26 | Report abuse |
    • Reality Chews

Yes Mute, before you say anything, I did it again. It should be "typo" not "type"

December 15, 2010 at 16:30 | Report abuse |
    • Denizen Kate

Jamie, please don't presume to speak for me. I don't pity Reality Chews, I just respectfully disagree with him/her, and am weary of all the name-calling here and feel that we all need to treat each other with more polite respect.

December 15, 2010 at 16:43 | Report abuse |
    • Reality Chews

Denizen, thank you for the website, it is not one that I have seen before. I will read it. Out of all the postings only you and Chris have given me additional research possibilities. Every one else is either insulting or name calling without giving me further information that could change my mind.

December 15, 2010 at 16:48 | Report abuse |
    • Mute

Wow, honestly..?

Bashing you is getting boring, it's so easy it's kind of like.. Bowling with the bumpers on, or riding bmx with training wheels.

Let's get this out of the way: You obviously know you're wrong.

With that said, the first rule of argument (in my book, and I'm pretty damned good) is to never point one of your flaws or mistakes out. Ever.

Typo or not, it was a mistake on your part.

But on subject: "Convincing information" is a timebomb. Don't say things like that, you seem ignorant and noone gives it an ounce of consideration to anyone who includes a sentence admitting they don't have great understanding of a subject.

If you have to get on google at any point during an argument you have no business discussing that topic.

But because I know you just won't be mature and walk away with your tattered dignity I'll reply, just for you.

First of all, the fact that people are calling you ignorant and only one person seemed to care at all about you, and that was purest pity, should tell you that maybe you're ignorant. -_-

Second, 100 WPM means nothing if you aren't using proper spelling and punctuation. Three commas in a row isn't in any book I've read. I can read 10,000 words per second, but if I have no idea what they say it's an empty victory.

December 15, 2010 at 17:01 | Report abuse |
    • Mute

And if you can't find real statistics for something, only made up ones, that probably means it's PROPAGANDA.

Now, that's a scary word these days..

I once read a hilarious christian comic ( http://www.truthforyouth.com ) in which one kid says condoms fail 1/3rd of the time and don't help to prevent any diseases.

Your "facts", if you ever gave us any, would likely be similar. :D

December 15, 2010 at 17:07 | Report abuse |
    • Mute

Apologies, that link should have read http://www.thetruthforyouth.com

It's been a while since I've read that. :D

December 15, 2010 at 17:09 | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

@Denizen. Polite respect you say? Have you even read the unnecessary rude things he has said to some people on this page that smoke weed? Or perhaps those are people you don't agree with for some reason.

December 15, 2010 at 17:55 | Report abuse |
    • Hmmm, Interesting

Mute, there is some merit in what you reply to chews. But from reading his posts, I think you are a little off. He seems to have done some research (I have googled some of his suggestions and have found merit in some of what he says), just that he wants to learn more and welcomes replies giving him places to find opposing evidence, but most responses to him just seem to be insults and calling him names without giving any place to learn about their reason for disagreement. So I don't think that the "if 100 people are calling you ignorant...." part of your posting to him is valid. The one taking "pity" on him, I did not read her post that way. I saw it as that poster trying to give evidence of the other side for him to consider. It did seem like he got a little harsh, but it was mostly (but not all) with people that were insulting to him first. I can sympathize with him a little in that I also like to learn as much as I can, and like to consider issues from both sides and decide which one is more accurate. From all his posts, perhaps ignorant is an apt description, he doesn't know it all, and seemed to have no problem admitting it, unlike most other posters here. But then again don't we all fit the definition of "ignorant"? I have never met anyone that knows everything.

December 15, 2010 at 19:10 | Report abuse |
    • Dude

Where's the damn "thumbs-up" button for MUTE on this damn forum,hell this isn't a forum it's a chat room.

December 15, 2010 at 20:06 | Report abuse |
  14. Mute

Also, noticed that kid had a reese's in his pocket.

If that was marijuana and not tobacco he was rolling that would be a good afternoon in my book. :)

December 15, 2010 at 15:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Ben

That's a step in the right direction!

December 15, 2010 at 15:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. usaTim

Let's see , I know at least 2 surgeons and 1 anesthesiologist that are highly regarged and, 1 of them is head of their department; all smoke weed occasionally to relax. I'm just a lowely I.T. analyst making a measily 85K a year. I've never been to jail and parking tickets and moving violations are all the trouble I've ever been in. I've never thought of myself above anyone, but this Reality Chews guy is really annoying. He's like the last person you would want for compassion and caring because all he has on is blinders and woe to the person who does not agree with his/her point of view. He/she just want's to belittle people for their differences and then just ignores the history of prohibition, the non-progress of the 20+ years of "War on Drugs", the suffering of ailing patience, the positive testemony of thousands of people who have actually tried it and the thousands of dead drug trafficers along our borders and cities.

December 15, 2010 at 15:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Reality Chews

I have belittled no one that I did not get tired of their responses being nothing but name calling and insults. As I said, ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever, which one are you afflicted with? I have a low tolerance for incurable stupidity.

December 15, 2010 at 16:17 | Report abuse |
  17. ....whatever

NEWSFLASH – Pain management physicians have been prescribing pain medications for several years to patients. What is the primary source for these medications? HERION.....hello! So it is ok to go to a Dr., get a script and get legal herion?....OF COURSE! Because the doctors, insurance companies, drug companies and the FDA are making money off of us. Many patients get addicted to the prescribed medications (because they are HERION based) and then will need to detox.....but legalizing MJ is wrong. Some of you people really need to open your eyes to see that the system is pulling their wool over them!

December 15, 2010 at 16:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Mute

Because..?

Marijuana and heroine are two very VERY different things.

I would disown a family member if they did cocaine or heroine, I've done it before, but that's because "hard" drugs will pull you and those around you down.

Marijuana is nothing like that, neither in composition or in effect, so stop. Just stop. -_-

December 15, 2010 at 17:13 | Report abuse |
    • Mute

And there is no such thing as a "heroine-based medication".

You're probably thinking of opiates, which are made of (of all things) innocent little poppy seeds.

Which are then processed into drugs.

What is it that made you think noone would call you on such blatant falsehood?

December 15, 2010 at 17:14 | Report abuse |
    • Inkt1

Heroin is from poppy seeds. Opium, morphine, percocet, darvocet, codiene...All of these are in the same drug family and all are derived from the same plant-poppies. And they are NOTHING like cannabis.

December 15, 2010 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
    • Dude

I thought heroin comes from the "milk,sap,or resins" exuded from the scored seed pod of the Papaver Somniferum.

December 15, 2010 at 20:13 | Report abuse |
    • Dude

I should say that OPIUM comes from the pod.

December 15, 2010 at 20:15 | Report abuse |
    • ....whatever

"Heroin is from poppy seeds. Opium, morphine, percocet, darvocet, codiene" (thank you)....yes, and oxycotin and roxycotin...and they are no way compareable to MJ.....My point is, unless the FDA, Government, Insurance companies and (more improtantly) drug companies can earn a HUGE profit from legalizing pot, then pot will remain illegal. However,addictive pain medications are handed out freely by Dr.'s without any recourse....Pot is not a segway into harder medications although some may think so. But, today, it appears more doctors are inclined to presrcibe addictive medications rather than support that medical MJ would be better for their patients....its two ends of the same spectrum...And my point is, medical MJ may be a better introduction to pain management rather than Opium, morphine, percocet, darvocet, codiene, oxycotin and roxycotin, where the side effects are more extreme, addicting and even lethal.

December 17, 2010 at 15:41 | Report abuse |
  18. Munchys

All of the people who are saying that stoners are gonna live in their parents basement when they are 30 are stupid. I know s ton of people who are fine. and I don't want to hear how I don't know anything like you say to everybody else because you can say all you want and everybody who actually smokes pot probably just thinks your an idiot...

December 15, 2010 at 16:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Reality Chews

Of course they will, they will say anything to justify their actions, whether it is factual or not.

December 15, 2010 at 16:13 | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

@Reality Chews. like anything you say is factual

December 15, 2010 at 16:38 | Report abuse |
    • Reality Chews

Jamie, rather than just being insulting, it would be more useful to provide me with another source of information or terminology to google, to prove my conclusions faulty.

December 15, 2010 at 16:50 | Report abuse |
    • Hey Joe

Your conclusions are not supported by evidence, and are therefore invalid in the absence of such evidence. Thus, they do not require refuting.

Logic has certain rules to it. "If I claim it to be true, it must be" is not among them.

December 15, 2010 at 17:33 | Report abuse |
    • Jamie

@Reality Chews. I'm more concerned about where you get your information from.

December 15, 2010 at 17:41 | Report abuse |
  19. Anon

Just for S&G, anyone want to speculate what is the only mainstream drug that can kill you from withdrawal symptoms?

The answer: Alcohol

You actually can die if you are a alcoholic and you suddenly stop drinking. However, even heroin will not kill you from withdrawal; you'll want to kill yourself, but it won't do it directly.

December 15, 2010 at 16:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rushkovski

Sorry to bust your balls, kind sir, but heroin can most definitely kill you from withdrawal symptoms.

December 15, 2010 at 16:12 | Report abuse |
  20. Rushkovski

The most sociologically interesting thing to be taken away from this discussion is the fact that on average the proponents of pot have better spelling skills... And they seem to care more about correcting it... Anecdotal evidence at best but this isn't the only place where I've made such an observation.

December 15, 2010 at 16:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Julia Morgan

Nice observation, most likely because marijuana smokers are thinkers.

What does a 'pot-head' do when stoned? Contemplate, think, and eat. Oh no, call the FBI! We have free thinkers eating brownies and discussing controversial subjects, which obviously could be detrimental to our society!

December 15, 2010 at 16:35 | Report abuse |
    • Reality Chews

Julia, you are correct, perfect examples of that can be found in one of the "nerds" movies "what C-A-T acually spelled dog, and in animal house, " you mean an atom of my fingernail is an entire univers in itself?, can I buy some pot from you?" Hollywood I know, but still pretty realistic examples.

December 15, 2010 at 16:54 | Report abuse |
    • Reality Chews

Oops, sorry I left the word "if" out of the "nerds" quote, and the animal house quote is a little bit paraphrased as it has been years since I've seen the movie.

December 15, 2010 at 16:55 | Report abuse |
    • Julia Morgan

Reality Chews, I have never seen 'Animal House.' I do not like stereotypes; I'm just speaking from experience.

That is not the only type of thinking all stoners do. What about politics, environment, worldly issues, family problems, how do we become the people we are today, literature, music, pop-culture, art, science, life, etc? I feel like these are all topics covered by cannabis smokers.

And no, it's not always about serious stuff. Maybe we wonder why some things are spelled one way over another, or maybe we come up with some ridiculous new invention with our imaginations which will make us die laughing for a half hour... but what's so wrong with that? What's wrong with stretching our imaginations and getting enjoyment out of it?

I'd rather smoke a joint and enjoy a social situation with my friends relaxing, than getting smashed and getting involved in bar-fights or promiscuousness behavior. While under the influence I have fun and I still have my head on my shoulders so I do not make any decisions... other than what to put on my rice cake.

December 15, 2010 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
    • Rushkovski

I knew it! Only real stalwart stoners watch that garbage, even I haven't seen it! Chewakka, you're just a gentle troll, and you're clearly a toker!

December 15, 2010 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
    • Mute

Julia, I have alot of respect for you.

I know exactly what you mean, too.

When I smoke I'm not out on the road driving aimlessly, nor am I jumping off of things to impress my friends like some 15 year old with no self respect. I'm sitting in my room, listening to music and drawing, and thinking about things.
      Not just anything, either:
      Physics, art, math, things of that nature, which I ordinarily feel I'm too busy to spend time with, suddenly become interesting and new.

I read up on physics mostly, though.

What do you think Reality Chews does in his down time? (Can't imagine he has any other kind..)

December 15, 2010 at 17:23 | Report abuse |
    • Hmmm, Interesting

I don't agree with everything Chews says, but some of his posts do seem to have some validity. Having never used cannibis myself (having been in the military for 20 years and working for the DoD ever since retirement), I have hung around with friends that were heavy pot smokers and I can see differences in how they are now vice when we were in school together. I can't imagine everyone thinking as they do, but from personal experience and obervation, what he said is pretty much the type of thing I saw. I have to admit I got a kick out of both movies and was not watching them drunk or stoned. I just thought they were stupid funny and an easy way to relax my brain. Turn thinking swith off and pure entertainment switch on.

December 15, 2010 at 18:49 | Report abuse |
  21. Anonon

"While heroin withdrawal is seldom fatal, it can cause death if heavy users who are in poor health suddenly stop taking the drug. It is worth noting that alcohol withdrawal is often considered more dangerous."

December 15, 2010 at 16:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Anonon

So I guess that alcohol is right in line with the worst drug known to man. And yet notinreality seems to think pot is more harmful than alcohol.

December 15, 2010 at 16:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Julia Morgan

Nice observation, most likely because marijuana smokers are thinkers.

December 15, 2010 at 16:33 | Report abuse |
    • Julia Morgan

Sorry, that was meant to be a reply to Rushkovski's comment.

December 15, 2010 at 16:36 | Report abuse |
    • Tommas

@ Julia, I think nothing scares a government more than "free thinkers".

December 15, 2010 at 19:37 | Report abuse |
  23. Tommas

9) HEAVY MARIJUANA USE AS A YOUNG ADULT WON'T RUIN YOUR LIFE:
    Veterans Affairs scientists looked at whether heavy marijuana use as a young adult caused long-term problems later, studying identical twins in which one twin had been a heavy marijuana user for a year or longer but had stopped at least one month before the study, while the second twin had used marijuana no more than five times ever. Marijuana use had no significant impact on physical or mental health care utilization, health-related quality of life, or current socio-demographic characteristics. Eisen SE et al. Does Marijuana Use Have Residual Adverse Effects on Self-Reported Health Measures, Socio-Demographics or Quality of Life? A Monozygotic Co-Twin Control Study in Men. Addiction. Vol. 97 No. 9. p.1083-1086. Sept.
    1997

December 15, 2010 at 18:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Tommas

8) THE "GATEWAY EFFECT" MAY BE A MIRAGE:
    Marijuana is often called a "gateway drug" by supporters of prohibition, who point to statistical "associations" indicating that persons who use marijuana are more likely to eventually try hard drugs than those who never use marijuana – implying that marijuana use somehow causes hard drug use. But a model developed by RAND Corp. researcher Andrew Morral demonstrates that these associations can be explained "without requiring a gateway effect." More likely, this federally funded study suggests, some people simply have an underlying propensity to try drugs, and start with what's most readily available. Morral AR, McCaffrey D and Paddock S. Reassessing the Marijuana Gateway Effect. Addiction. December 2002. p. 1493-1504.

December 15, 2010 at 18:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Tommas

7) PROHIBITION DOESN'T WORK (PART I):
    The White House had the National Research Council examine the data being gathered about drug use and the effects of U.S. drug policies. NRC concluded, "the nation possesses little information about the effectiveness of current drug policy, especially of drug law enforcement." And what data exist show "little apparent relationship between severity of sanctions prescribed for drug use and prevalence or frequency of use." In other words, there is no proof that prohibition – the cornerstone of U.S. drug policy for a century – reduces drug use. National Research Council. Informing America's Policy on Illegal Drugs: What We Don't Know Keeps Hurting Us. National Academy Press, 2001. p. 193.

December 15, 2010 at 18:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Tommas

3) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER (PART III):
    Researchers at the Kaiser-Permanente HMO, funded by NIDA, followed 65,000 patients for nearly a decade, comparing cancer rates among non-smokers, tobacco smokers, and marijuana smokers. Tobacco smokers had massively higher rates of lung cancer and other cancers. Marijuana smokers who didn't also use tobacco had no increase in risk of tobacco-related cancers or of cancer risk overall. In fact their rates of lung and most other cancers were slightly lower than non-smokers, though the difference did not reach statistical significance. Sidney, S. et al. Marijuana Use and Cancer Incidence (California, United States). Cancer Causes and Control. Vol. 8. Sept. 1997, p. 722-728.
    2) OOPS, MARIJUANA MAY PREVENT CANCER (PART IV):
    Donald Tashkin, a UCLA researcher whose work is funded by NIDA, did a case-control study comparing 1,200 patients with lung, head and neck cancers to a matched group with no cancer. Even the heaviest marijuana smokers had no increased risk of cancer, and had somewhat lower cancer risk than non-smokers (tobacco smokers had a 20-fold increased lung cancer risk). Tashkin D. Marijuana Use and Lung Cancer: Results of a Case-Control Study. American Thoracic Society International Conference. May 23, 2006.

December 15, 2010 at 18:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Tommas

If you want the rest (too difficult to post) just google: 10 Cannabis Studies the Government Wishes it Never Funded.... any arguments against cannabis are folly

December 15, 2010 at 18:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hmmm, Interesting

It is well known that cannibis doesn't cause a greater risk of cancer than regular tobacco. But there are other damaging side effects with abuse of cannibis. The amount used plus a persons genetics determine time of onset. Which is why some people that use it think there is no harm and they are pretty much fully functional, and others can use the same or even less and practically be a gibbering idiot.

December 15, 2010 at 18:41 | Report abuse |
    • Tommas

@Interesting, you are correct but you can say the same about bigmacs and TV, everything is relative. Legalization should definitely come with increased education for sure.

December 15, 2010 at 19:30 | Report abuse |
  28. agree

I really am just for living in a world with less fear. There is so much fear and we need to do something about that. First of all lets get honest about marijuana and drop the taboo. Who are people to tell someone what they can enjoy if they do not endanger anybody.

Alot of people really enjoy this stuff and have a great time. They don't become aggressive. They should avoid driving, but it's no different than Xanex and many over the counter drugs as far as driving is concerned.

Why should responsible people like myself not be allowed to make a decision about my body and my life. Get the government out of my body!!

If i am responsible than I am your fellow citizen and hope to treat you with love and respect always wishing you the best wherever your own curiosity takes you!

December 15, 2010 at 19:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. bobby

Pot is bad because it makes you feel ok about doing nothing. After you grow up smoking pot you come to find out that you really dont know how to do anything.

December 15, 2010 at 19:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hey Joe

Pure BS.

December 15, 2010 at 19:28 | Report abuse |
    • agree

That is really seriously untrue and cannot be cast out like a blanket for all people. I guess alcohol makes you feel like doing nothing? If I want to do nothing, its my right as long as I don't endanger you! You are brainwashed... I hope you become more intelligent

December 15, 2010 at 19:30 | Report abuse |
    • Inkt1

I sincerely believe this is why it should be legalized, taxed and regulated. The reason more kids are smoking pot than drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes is that the people who sell the legal substances are required to ask for I.D. and, when they sell to minors, they lose their license to sell. Drug dealers don't care how old you are as long as you have the cash.

December 15, 2010 at 19:32 | Report abuse |
    • Tommas

There are too many example to list so im gonna go with the obvious, i think playing the guitar counts as "anything"

December 15, 2010 at 19:35 | Report abuse |
    • Sadaski

is this a smear campaign? #suspect

December 16, 2010 at 08:53 | Report abuse |
  30. bobby

haha im was kidding sorry. south park reference. I could literally care less if its leagalized or not.

December 15, 2010 at 19:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hey Joe

Hehe.....ok you got me. Missed the SP ref.

December 15, 2010 at 19:42 | Report abuse |
  31. eddie

I love how the pro pot people attack anyone with differing views. It seems that everyone who isnt pro pot in here get ridiculed. Mabye intelligence isn't about having a strong opinion on a subject but listening to other peoples point of views?

December 15, 2010 at 19:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • agree

The arguments are strong because it is such an outright persecution and violation of peoples ability to be recognized as mature. We are fighting for basic rights and they are being violated on a very deep level. This really is a serious problem and the laws need to be changed to stop persecuting responsible users.

December 15, 2010 at 22:02 | Report abuse |
  32. opinion

anyone can abuse anything. alcohol, cigs, OTC drugs, prescription drugs.. put anything in the hands of the wrong person and it can be abused. point is, marijuana is natural, ya can't OD on it, it's not addictive, and it isn't even really a DRUG. it's idiots who let it control their lives that make it an issue.

December 15, 2010 at 19:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hmmm, Interesting

You are wrong on so many levels, it is funny.

December 15, 2010 at 20:50 | Report abuse |
  33. eddie

Natural huh. You know that cocaine and herione are derived from a plant to. Actually Pot was a lot less potent back in the 70's until we stepped into the equation.So how does it being nautural make it any beter?

December 15, 2010 at 20:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • opinion

you don't have to process anything from a pot plant before you can smoke it. no chemicals; it's all natural substances unlike alcohol and heroin and meth etc. nothing manmade or synthetic is going into your body, which imo is a lot more "healthy" persay than any other mind altering substances.

December 15, 2010 at 20:12 | Report abuse |
    • Sadaski

keyword: derived; what is marijuana 'derived' from again?

December 16, 2010 at 08:49 | Report abuse |
    • Inkt1

That would be like comparing freezer crinkle-cut fries to french fries made from actually cutting potatoes and baking them. Read the package of the crinkle cut fries. They are often times full of high fructose corn syrup and/or have added chemicals for preserving them or making them extra crispy. Anything that goes through a process like that is worse for you than just harvesting and letting it dry...

December 18, 2010 at 14:05 | Report abuse |
    • chill4change

cocaine and heroin correctly used, i.e in painkillers and medication to help those with ADD, fine right? But no one is talking about the small farming towns that are now overrun and robbed by meth makers like Wellington ks where even the police protect the meth junkies because they give up 3 names of pot smokers...not dealers, smokers...yeah our laws need someone honest yet confronting to examine...cancer patients dying from malnutrition b/c of chemo...when pot is given instead of percet,vicodin,dilotiad oh and morophine these sufferers gain some form of a quality of life and normalisation for patient and loved one's...what does booze do?

January 5, 2011 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
  34. eddie

but i do agree with you its the idiots who abuse the drug who make it look bad. Just like people who get trashed with alcohol. I only drink beer but now in my state two beers puts me over the limit.

December 15, 2010 at 20:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Hey Joe

Eddie I'm not into ridiculing people, I am into deconstructing weak arguments.

Marijuana is generally accepted to be about 3 times stronger today than in the 70's (though the government would have us believe it's more like 30 times).

How is that a bad thing? Before you answer, consider that it is essentially impossible to overdose on THC. If anything, wouldn't smoking less of it for the same effect be a good thing rather than bad? Though there has been no correlation shown between smoking cannabis and lung cancer, I'd still have to think that smoking less for the same effect would be a bit healthier for one's lungs.

That's like saying beer would be better if it was 1% instead of 4%. How? I've tried the brewed in Utah stuff and I have to say I'm not a fan.

December 15, 2010 at 20:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. TLB

If an adult tells a kid that they can't have something, that will just make them want it more. Especially when they find out that hysterical grown ups have lied about it for years. There was less iillicit drug use among kids in the 1930's before marijuana became illegal and half the medicine you could buy at the drugstore contained cannibis. Prohibition causes alot more problems than it solves.

December 15, 2010 at 21:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Rushkovski

CNN, you need to have a "like" button for your comments.

December 16, 2010 at 00:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. Sadaski

pointless article... marijuana is safer than cigarettes anyway. plus id rather them be smoking pot than stealing prescription drugs and getting wasted any day of the week

December 16, 2010 at 08:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Amazing

I am gobsmacked by the lengths people will go to, in order to attempt to justify their illegal behavior. Or just insult anyone that does not agree with them. That being said, I support legalizing cannibis, I will not choose to use it myself as I have seen what long term use does to people, no matter what the defenders say about how many years they have used it and they are so successful. That is not a good defense of it. Personally I do not rely on anyone that abuses it or alcahol.But people are going about getting it legalized in ways that it will never happen. Personally I would not want a surgeon that is an alcaholic or drug user working on me, or I would not want to hire a lawyer if I found out he was a drug user or alcaholic (sounds like a bit of a hypocrite to me). I do support legalization, however I also feel that until it is legal, the punishments should be stiffer and there should be greater enforcement than their currently is. But then again I also think there should be stricter enforcement of rounding up and sending illegal aliens back to whatever country they came from, rather than trying to give them amnesty. It is cut and dried simple, which part of the word "illegal" do people not understand? There are reasons for people holding security clearances to not be drug users or alcaholics. They tend to be not trustworthy or reliable individuals thus security risks.

December 16, 2010 at 08:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. Lauren

I took up smoking for a brief period at age 14 and ended up getting a series of respiratory infections. I took up marijuana at age 20 and it completely turned my life around...on my prescribed anti-depressants I was even more suicidal, awful grades, no motivation, no life. Post-weed, I threw out all my prescribed mood stabilizers and I have not felt one single day in the two years that I've been smoking pot that I have when I was on all those meds. Have been regularly making the Dean's List and am going out there and doing awesome things with my life. Anyone who demonizes weed doesn't know what they're talking about and needs to just shut up.

December 16, 2010 at 12:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. David

Marijuana is the highly abused drug in US. Its effects are immediate and the smokers get instant pleasure out which hangs about one to three hours. Its effects are even stronger and lasting when it is consumed with food e.g. when it is baked in with cakes and cookies.
    I have learn t a lot about it, its symptoms and withdrawal effects as i was once an addict. Please get over this habit and visit Findrxonline, as it helped me immensely recover back to my normal self. Good Luck!!

Regards,
    David

December 17, 2010 at 09:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. tazer

just leagalize it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

December 17, 2010 at 11:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. CleanLiving87

I think a lot of it has to do with the legalization of the drug. Like mentioned in this article, teens are probably seeing that the drug isn't as harmful since the legalization process has been undergoing. Other studies are also showing that there has been a significant increase in marijuana use among teens as well: bit.ly/hhLbMX

December 17, 2010 at 17:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. tanner

this even even a ggod survey i took it and i lied mabey they should bring in 100 kids and ask them in person or something cuz i didnt want to get busted... and i no more kids smoke marijuana than people think. i no at least 100 people that do it. and in my small town of 500. people even parents and kids and grandparents are smoking drinking doing meth (witch i dont do) ecstacy coke and anything they can get there hands on. And they know its bad for them they just dont care and telling them not to do it just makes them want to do it more. so stop telling the people what to do that is dares job and if they dont listen they already made up there mind. people choose want they want because they want it not because someone else does.

December 20, 2010 at 10:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. victoria

it is not wrong to smoke pot as long as you dont ge carried away with it..
    no one has died from pot....and is not addicted

December 29, 2010 at 15:57 | Report abuse | Reply