home
RSS
December 13th, 2010

What health care ruling means

A Virginia judge found a key part of the health care legislation unconstitutional; namely, the part that says Americans without health coverage must purchase their own, starting in 2014. Here's what that means for you:

Why does the judge say it’s against the law to mandate the purchase of insurance?

The mandate to purchase insurance "exceeds the constitutional boundaries of congressional power," by violating the commerce clause of the United States Constitution, U.S. District Court Judge Henry Hudson said in his ruling. He sided with the state of Virginia, which argued that it was unfair to require individuals to purchase a product from a private, i.e., insurance company.

What does it mean for customers who hoped to take advantage of the new benefits?

All of the provisions from the health care legislation that have already taken effect still stand. For example, anyone under the age of 26 may sign up for insurance coverage on his or her parents’ plan, and insurance companies are not allowed to deny coverage to children who already have chronic or acute medical problems. Check out this timeline from the Kaiser Family Foundation showing when the various provisions go into effect.

What's the bottom line?
Congress designed the mandate as part of a grand bargain: Insurance companies are required to cover people who are sick; in exchange, healthy people are required to have insurance. If there’s no mandate, people could simply wait until they get sick, before purchasing coverage. That would be prohibitively expensive for insurance companies. The mandate is not scheduled to go into effect until 2014. However, if higher courts uphold today’s ruling, the entire bill is likely to be in jeopardy. So be careful: Don't quit your job and assume that the government will help you out.

1. isreal williams

Honestly I have been setting back and watching this whole healt care bill and now since its on its way to the junk pile with all the other worthless democratic/ communist bills I believe the time has come for me to throw my 2 cents in the pot so here it goes...people who support this bill are completely ignorant and utterly full of themselves because for someone to support the bill must believe that every human being in America was cast in the exact same mold and because of that what works for one person WILL work for everybody else... well I'm glad to say that there's not two people in the universe let alone the united states that are completely alike so how will a healthcare work for me and also work for someone in Texas I mean honestly I believe the only reason our mentally retarded president signed the bill is to show everybody how powerful he believes he is. And Mr. President if you somehow end up reading this please do us all a favor and resign as president

December 13, 2010 at 20:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. mike

Great comments

December 13, 2010 at 20:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. David

All this sniping about people who don't buy health insurance having to pay up-front for their medical bills makes me wonder: What about someone like me who has been unemployed, looking for work, barely surviving, and has been denied Medicaid coverage twice? What about people like me who can't afford insurance and have been denied the options they have applied for?

December 13, 2010 at 22:07 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Ariel

So this ruling that the government doesn't have the right to force people to buy insurance basically means I cant be forced to buy car insurance or flood insurance and also businesses can't be forced to buy unemployment insurance for thier employees and banks dont have to insure thier funds against loss etc etc etc...

What they are trying to debate is that we cant be forced to buy insurance or really any private product... Are you kidding me? We are forced to buy lots of different things all the time. Several different kinds of insurance are required to be bought, and uninsured people are what makes the insurance cost so much. The uninsured when they goto the hospital and leave 10,000$ bills unpaid are what is driving health care costs up so much.

Its not responsible to drive a car without insurance becuase its not fair to drop the costs of your mistakes on others. By the same token It is irresponsible to not have health insurance and then when you need a triple bypass cuase you eat to much fat put that cost on everyone else cause you didnt buy health insurance.

December 13, 2010 at 22:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SW

@Ariel,

you don't HAVE to drive, live in a flood plain, own a business or hire emplyees. You CHOOSE to do those things so the government can require certain things from you. it can't require you to buy a product from a private company just because you are alive.

December 14, 2010 at 08:29 | Report abuse |
    • YBM

They don't take care of themselves, get fat, need a bypass, don't have/choose not to buy insurance, can't pay for the surgery,,,,,simple, die. But don't make my premiums go up to pay for your stupidity and bad choices. You must suffer the consequences of your poor decisions, don't make me suffer for them.

December 14, 2010 at 08:33 | Report abuse |
  5. amused and disappointed

It is sad to see this country put a price on a human being. It is your neighbor, friend or family that could need help.
    I served this country and i will not let my son serve. For this country has changed to where everything has a price.

Just like our promoting freedom around the world. What ajoke! It is for money, power and oil....

December 13, 2010 at 23:20 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Jay

Your getting way off track, remember this ruling is about the interstate commerce clause. If your state wants to mandate insurance they can but not the feds. Thats against the law.

December 13, 2010 at 23:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Name* sarah

I am confused by people who say they don't want government insurance and that the people who would receive it are somehow lazy. What about people who don't get insurance through work? They aren't lazy. Many don't earn enough to buy insurance. We already have healthcare for people who don't work- it's called Medicaid.

December 13, 2010 at 23:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. LilyNW

"Federal judge Henry E. Hudson's ownership of a stake worth between $15,000 and $50,000 in a GOP political consulting firm, Campaign Solutions, that worked against health care reform - the very law against which he ruled today - raises some ethics questions for some of the nation's top judicial ethics experts." That's from tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com. Why wasn't this information in the CNN story?

December 13, 2010 at 23:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jay

If your so smart, you should put together a list of conservative judges and judges that are in the back pocket of Obama. Don't you get it, it doesn't matter what party play for, they're all dirty!

December 13, 2010 at 23:54 | Report abuse |
  9. Maryln

first they win by extending tax breaks to the rich that will increase the deficit, now the will tear the health apart until it's all torn about. then he will not be able to say he didn't do anything. what a bunch of weaklings. Republicans are stronger and tough, Democrats starting with Obama are weak and can't stand up to the republicans, what a dissapointment.

December 14, 2010 at 00:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. think people

people who lack health insurance go to the emergency room whenever they have a problem I know this because I'm there when they come..I'm a nurse. this method of seeking treatment is very expensive and very often they do not pay the bill when it comes. the costs of these unpaid bills is reflected in all of our health insurance premiums..It's a large part of the reason health insurance is so expensive and the cost increases all the time. we are all ready paying for other peoples healthcare. this would be a major step in lowering the costs. many of the republicans opposing this bill have family and business partners who benefit from the high costs of health ins. i can't name them right now but i shouldn't have to..u should at least know some of the basics..investigate the people who oppose this and then ask why they oppose it. don't just follow the crowd or what u think makes u seem better than someone else

December 14, 2010 at 00:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. smokey

At twenty-six I had two kids, owned a house and a small business. I could not imagine being covered by my parents' insurance as an adult. I could not agree more with this ruling. I understand the concept the health care bill is tryung to accomplish. "Lets pass it so we can find out whats in it", to quote Polosi. Anything she is involved in makes me very skeptical, and I am a democrat.

December 14, 2010 at 01:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. smokey

@ Marilyn keeping tax rates the same for the high income earners, earners being the key word, does not increase the defiicit. I know it is a talking point and programmed in your mind. My small businesss falls into this catagory, if this would have passed the way you wanted I was going to close my doors and add 22 more people to the unemployment numbers. Go out and understand the world beyond the left leaning media's distortion of facts. Realize the administration has 0 business experience, if they did they would understand this.

December 14, 2010 at 01:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. marlon smith

I agree with judge hudson ruling

December 14, 2010 at 02:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. C-Mac

I can’t say I know enough about the entire situation to really do justice to the dialogue here but I am simply SHOCKED at the general theme of respondents on this post. Have you all really become so used to your Government telling you what to do, how to live your life and providing hand-outs and safety nets that you are now, in fact, demanding socialism?
    What a bunch p****y's you’ve become.
    You’re the descendents of an immigrant population that fled their respective homelands in favor of freedom and personal responsibility and an opportunity to prosper and now you want your Government to dictate terms to you and your fellow citizens under the illusion of being “civilized”?
    Man, this country needs a good ass-kicking instead of a trophy and continuous pat on the ass like never before. Your deceased relatives should be rolling over in their graves with the realization of the long term “cost” is to making things to easy for their offspring with each successive generation.

December 14, 2010 at 03:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. cari

I worked many years for municipal government fire department, and contributed to pension, was disabled at work, and now live off a percentage of my pension (cannot collect 100% because pension awarded due toinjury, not age). I am NOT eligible for SS benefits and am on a fixed income, which will never increase. I am age 40 and single. If FORCED to purchase health insurance, I will have to choose between not eating or not having a roof over my head. I pay taxes and always have. I put my life on the line EVERY day I worked. If I get sick I pay my own medical bills. Forced health insurance is not the way in a FREE country.

December 14, 2010 at 06:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Alex

gee Olly, if only someone had thought of a public option, one that the majority of the people supported...

December 14, 2010 at 06:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Empowered CNN Watcher

Brooke Baldwin is great!!
    She actually got an interview with an actual MEDICAL DOCTOR!

Elizabeth Cohen is a cyber -wanna be doctor.

No degrees.No Training. No License...but Lizzie claims to know it all!!!

CNN please FIRE Elizabeth Cohen for MIS-INFORMATION!!!

December 14, 2010 at 06:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • H Hamid

I actually say Cohen explains it and she was very clear and easy to understand. It looks like something else is bothering you ?

December 14, 2010 at 13:10 | Report abuse |
  18. sick person

see you in the ER. It's my right!

December 14, 2010 at 07:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • YBM

sick person, you are correct, it is your right. It should also be your right to pay for it yourself, rather than me pay for your stupidity and bad choices. If you can't afford it, it is also your right to die.

December 14, 2010 at 09:02 | Report abuse |
    • Vic

Unfortunately, YBM, that's not how it works. Anyone without insurance that goes to the emergency room for something that could likely have been avoided with a much cheaper, in-patient visit, passes their bills on to those of us with insurance. My company subsidizes part of my health insurance and I'm still seeing premiums go up every year. So everyone that keeps yapping about not wanting to pay for deadbeats, wake up, you already are.

December 14, 2010 at 14:31 | Report abuse |
    • YBM

I agree with you Vic, and know you are correct. That is the part of the healthcare that should have been fixed. Have people that got the treatment pay the bill, even if they can pay only $5 a week. But don't raise our premiums to pay for the deadbeats.

December 14, 2010 at 15:05 | Report abuse |
  19. hsr0601

The Republicans are the ultimate hypocrites!

How do we pay for health care reform ?

**  How do you pay for tax cuts for the wealthy  ?

1.     First attempt : threatening Social Security and Medicare Cut through the deficit panel.

2.     Second attempt : holding the desperate Hostage, say, by the Ransom.

**  Inaction cost, $9trillion over the next decade, ((Some of CBO analysis : While the costs of the financial bailouts and economic stimulus bills are staggering, they are only a fraction of the coming costs from Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. Over the next decade, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) projects that each year Medicaid will expand by 7 percent, Medicare by 6 percent, and Social Security by 5 percent. These programs face a 75-year shortfall of $43 trillion–60 times greater than the gross cost of the $700 billion TARP financial bailout)).

Over the duration of healthcare debate, using the preliminary cost analysis of CBO, the reps opposed the public option stubbornly, but after the release of final score, they have been defiant on the referee.

The nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office estimates that :
    Inaction cost in relation to health care reform totals $9trillion over the next decade.
    Reform will reduce the federal deficit by $143 billion over the next 10 years and as much as $1 trillion during the following decade.

December 14, 2010 at 07:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. YBM

It should be a choice whether or not to buy health insurance, not government mandated. This healthcare fiasco is not going to lower costs for anyone, in fact, premiums are already going up. Mine have already increased by 21%. Hmmmmm, what about the promises the democrats made? Passing the bill they will read after it is passed to find out what is in it?? It is not right for the working people paying for the people that don't want to work, I'm not talking about the the ones wanting to work but have recently lost their jobs, I'm talking about the ones that are bums living on welfare because they are too lazy to work. If they don't have insurance or choose not to buy it, don't take care of themselves, well, tough for them, die. The more useless/lazy people that die, should begin to clean up the gene pool. The useless/lazy gene would eventually be bred out of the species.

December 14, 2010 at 08:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Voice of Re@son

Don't kid yourselves, anything that any government has control over is completely screwed. I can't imagine the kind of idiot you would have to be to look at the state that Medicare and Social Security are in and think 'hey let's give more money and control over our health to the government'! And seriously Charlotte, unemployment is only as bad as it is because people who lost their jobs don't want to do anything other than what they were doing, as if contract work or scrubbing toilets is beneath them because they used to be manager of whatever.

December 14, 2010 at 08:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sgrier

voice of reason...i think you really need to think of a new name. Do you honestly think that millions of unemployed people got together and said"hey lets not work" . Really what are the odds. If you add up all the people that are unemployed and the jobs that are availble then factor in that everyone is not qualified for certain jobs. There are simply not enough jobs period. Being unemployed has got to be the most scary thing a person could go through. Even with umeployment you know that is going to run out at some point...and last I checked no one was getting rich off of unemployment. The mind frame that they are lazy is just another ploy to get people fighting aginst each other Rich vs. Poor. Uemployed vs. employed. The fact is that people that get their unemployment spend it right away. That money is going back into the economy. If everyone took jobs scrubing toliets that does nothing for the economy. I hope that you don't ever fall down on you luck.

December 14, 2010 at 09:12 | Report abuse |
    • YBM

sgrier, I think you need to re-think things. My son is 22, and very little life experience, only an associates degree, yet has not problem finding jobs. Hmmmmm, I tend to agree with voice of reason on this one. If people really want to work and be useful to society, they can. Just look at how many thousands of jobes are advertised on the job sites? I did a specialization query, just on a limited part of my skills and there were literally over 1000 jobs within 40 miles of my home. If people are not lazy and want to work, they can.

December 14, 2010 at 09:23 | Report abuse |
  22. Sparky Miller

President Obama needs to be impeached – Now !. – Obama is clearly headed in the wrong direction. Things have gone from Bush "bad" to Obama "worse". I respectfully call on each Congressperson, and Senator to lead this impeachment to it proper conclusion. (Else) the power of the states exercise the recall of said Senator. Furthermore the Federal Reserve needs to be audited, and Homeland Security needs to be deleted.
    Sparky Miller
    Wellsville, Ohio

December 14, 2010 at 08:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. sgrier

We should have a public option why should we have access to the same health care that members of congres gets. The last I checked none of them were screaming that they wanted off their health care plan. For everyone that is saying that is should be a choice to get health insurance, is crazy. The odds that you can go through life and never need a medical attention is slim to none. So why should I have to pay if you end up with cancer, or some other expensive illness. Because when someone without health insurance gets sick the cost are sent on to everyone. The hospitals has to increase cost for treatment, which means they request more of a reimbursement from the insurance company, who then raises your preimum. As a matter of fact people saying that their premiums went up just because this bill is wrong. Premiums have been going up for years.

What is so scary about the pubic option...the government is invovled well when you pay for private insurance you don't have any control either. You are at the mercy of investors and to then your a bottom line. i don't see how people have been convinced to vote against their own good. The U.S pays more per-capita for health care per person, but we are no more health than other countries that pay less. Health insuance companies make the things so complicated that you need a lawyer to understand how they really work. And that is what they count on, insurance companies don't want you to be an informed consumer...where's the fun in that? As long as you think what you are getting is the best you can get and anything else is scary then they win and you lose.

December 14, 2010 at 09:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. REG in AZ

As a concluding observation I will just question how anyone can observe their performances and then not recognize the self-serving, coordinated, orchestrated and manipulative effort in process? The ‘puppet’ performances of John Boehner and Mitch McConnell always obvious in stubbornly and arrogantly totally pushing to benefit the few. Jon Kyl, John McCain and several others constantly making a lot of noise to distract and then consistently doing just as directed. The grooming and selling of the self-focused, grossly dishonest, sociopathic Sarah Palin, as was George W Bush, to again be a ‘puppet’ with others ‘pulling the strings’. The substantial money and power totally apparent in the aggressive overt and covert efforts to manipulate public opinion and with the likes of Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity and others shouting the scripted propaganda. The coordinated performances of the likes of Dick Cheney, Karl Rove, Michael Steele, others and of those already mentioned, all unified and working from the same script, focused on the dictates of Special Interests and the influential, powerful and extremely wealthy few. The extensive, managed and financially supported manipulative efforts to use the Christian block, the Swift-boat propaganda, the Tea Party Movement and the deceptive emotional appeals to people’s biases, prejudices, fears and self-interests. The observed intimidation and coercion of their own representatives to assure a totally unified and focused effort, squelching any individual consciences. The obvious direction of it all being to benefit the few while giving the majority only apathy, the costs and an abundance of subterfuge to rationalize, deceive and manipulate, with it claimed as being ‘conservative’ when it really is all about more money for the few. We have already seen the irresponsibility of this program and how it greatly cost the country under Bush-Cheney and now we our experiencing the orchestrated effort to cover that over to look creditable. Their’s simply offers only negative value and an aggressive con for the majority and it really is up to the people to see it and to reject it before it puts us further in the pits and steals more from the majority.

December 14, 2010 at 09:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • YBM

Reg in Az, hope you are enjoying your coolaide and your welfare check. Sounds like everything you are describing would fit the democrats/liberals in general. But then again, I have noticed that most liberals are profficient at taking a description of themselves and applying it to others.

December 14, 2010 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
  25. Katie

The judges involvement with his right wing business helping candidates fight health care reform and his paid involvement with the Virginia DA makes his ruling quite suspect. It appears he's got alterior motives. Numerous other judges have either ruled against such claims or dismissed the cases outright – but not judge hudson. Call me cynical, but it's also logical to consider his business and political involvements in relation to his ruling. The VA district attorney had just recently paid the judges firm $9,000 for work done and had helped other republicans like boehner in their fight against health care reform. It doesn't take much to see a connection and possible cause for his ruling.

Those that choose not to participate in health care should not be treated at hospitals without the ability to pay, they should be required to pay at the time of service or service should be rejected. Why should I be forced to pay for their negligence and beligerance and for their top dollar emergency room treatment? It soon turns the tables on the "I've got mine, screw you" crowd.

December 14, 2010 at 09:45 | Report abuse | Reply
    • YBM

Katie, I partially agree with you, but if you examine the motives of the judges that ruled against the claims or dismissed them, they are probably just as suspect and for the same reasons, liberal democratic influence.

December 14, 2010 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
  26. SW

@katie, your premiums for your state mandated health care will go to subsidize those who can't pay for it themselves, just like your taxes go to help pay for ER visits by uninsured now. THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH. WE are paying either through taxes or "insurance premiums" which since they would be government mandated would really be taxes.

December 14, 2010 at 09:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. ATL Guy

Make it a crime for people to go to the emergency room and skip out on the bill. Make it the same as theft of service. If this goes into play, you'll see how quickly Republicans run out supporting the individual mandate. People are taking advantage of the emergency room thereby causing the government to pay for their care anyway. Send them to jail and you'll see how quickly people will look for an alternative to jail.

December 14, 2010 at 09:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. dolphus

Interesting and dreadfully ironic to me, that the attorney general...of all people, is suing the government for mandating that you purchase health care. Don't they force non-custodial parents to pay for unaffordable health insurance in child support cases? Talk about hypocrisy!

December 14, 2010 at 10:14 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Matthew

What's the big deal! the gov.(state) forces us to buy car insurance. If you get caught without it they fine you big time. Especially in Va. What happen in the pass when most middle to low income people did not carry car insurance? The cost of insurance skyrocketted, because not enough people had insurance. This is just like health insurance, the more people are in the cheaper the cost. I know a lot of people that could afford it but rather just go to the emergency room, and let the government pay. They prefer to buy clothes and Xboxes......

December 14, 2010 at 10:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Matthew

The people that Va. is trying to protect from paying the $750 fine, will be getting a government tax check for EIC. I say if they can't buy insurance don't give them the tax break. Instead put the tax money back into the over cost of gov healthcare.

December 14, 2010 at 10:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Frank Shelton

If it is uncontuional to force use to buy health insurance why are we force to buy car insurance?
    Thanks

December 14, 2010 at 10:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • YBM

Frank, that was explained in previous postings.

December 14, 2010 at 10:50 | Report abuse |
    • Tunafromnj

Yes , Also why are we forced to buy proscription drug insurance As forced by Bush when he came in.
      I'm missing something here.

December 14, 2010 at 13:04 | Report abuse |
    • Frank Shelton

YBM WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRY TO SUPORT YOUR FAMELY ON PICKING UP CANS GIVE ME A BRAKE

December 14, 2010 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
    • YBM

I was standing behind a lady in the grocery store the other day. She was nicely dressed, had a fresh "doo," rather expensive looking manicure with very long nails. She paid for her groceries, I thought she might have a little too much pride. I paid for mine, I was not very far behind her going out to the parking lot. I got a shock (but maybe I shouldn't have) She got in a late model Mercedes. What shocked me was she paid for her groceries with foodstamps!!!! What was wrong with that picture?

December 14, 2010 at 14:58 | Report abuse |
    • YBM

Frank, your posting to me makes no sense. Only the too lazy to work will not find a job and continue with their hand out. My son is 22, very little life experience and he has no problem finding work. Also go to any job site, there are literally thousands upon thousands of jobs available. I went to several job sites and for my skill set the least amount of available jobs I found was 418 within 40 miles of my home. I feel no pity for people "running out of benefits crying, what am I going to do now?" If they are going to continue to collect benefits, the state should put them to work cleaning or digging ditches. There are lots of such jobs available. If someone really wants to work and not be a burden on society, there are jobs to be had.

December 14, 2010 at 15:02 | Report abuse |
    • YBM

Tunafromnj, what you seem to be missing are the facts. No one is required to buy prescription drug insurance. I don't have it and nothing has been said.

December 14, 2010 at 15:20 | Report abuse |
  32. James Mason

Here's what we do – anyone between 18 and 35, who doesn't have insurance and refuses to buy it – GETS DRAFTED!

December 14, 2010 at 11:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tunafromnj

How about buy it , or die. We don't have to pay for your life, If you don't care about your life, Neither do we. The choice should be yours.

December 14, 2010 at 13:08 | Report abuse |
  33. TkstoUObamaPPL

Thanks to all u that elected OBAMA – let's do it again in 2012...NOT!!!!!!!! SN: For all the ppl on SSD or welfare...if they worked for it over the years then guess what??? They have ALREADY PAID for it and their Soc Second they paid along with their taxes has went to pay for someone else's Soc Security. There is not a "jar" with their name on it unfortunately. And the American citizens that really need help – sick, food or otherwise have to fight for it...and I mean especially the ones that have already worked most of their lives for it and they can't get help because the money was used for other things like oh yea, BAILOUT BANKS, BAILOUT CAR COMPANIES – once again – thank you Obama and all you wonderful people that elected him. I hope you are happy now!!!!!!!!

December 14, 2010 at 12:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vic

Stimulus and bailouts were started during the Bush presidency. Try again.

December 14, 2010 at 15:00 | Report abuse |
    • YBM

Vic, only after Obama won the election and he and his cronies put pressure on bush to do so.

December 14, 2010 at 15:21 | Report abuse |
  34. TkstoUObamaPPL

Thanks to all u that elected OBAMA – let's do it again in 2012...NOT!!!!!!!! SN: For all the ppl on SSD or welfare...if they worked for it over the years then guess what??? They have ALREADY PAID for it and their Soc Security they paid along with their taxes has went to pay for someone else's Soc Security. There is not a "jar" with their name on it unfortunately. And the American citizens that really need help – sick, food or otherwise have to fight for it...and I mean especially the ones that have already worked most of their lives for it and they can't get help because the money was used for other things like oh yea, BAILOUT BANKS, BAILOUT CAR COMPANIES – once again – thank you Obama and all you wonderful people that elected him. I hope you are happy now!!!!!!!!

December 14, 2010 at 12:12 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Bruce Rubin

85 percent of this countries wealth and the United States government is owned by less than 1% of the population and this countries economy and manufacturing base has been deregulated and transfered outside of its National boundaries. This is all a scam to get out of providing basic healthcare for its middle class citizens. I am a medical professional it is very obvious and very simple. Just change the means test for Medicaid and Medicare and all this crap about coming up with some new plan would be history.

December 14, 2010 at 12:26 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tunafromnj

I'm 77 years old I paid into Social Security since I was 15 years old, So i have medicare & use it in my old age.
      Medicaid is for welfare Only, you cannot have a home nor any kind of savings to get It.My social security monthly check was based on how much i paid into it over all those years. Now comes the question, How is it Illegal Aliens Who never paid one dime into the SS.Get welfare, Medicaid, Food stamps, They work for cash off the books, pay no taxes, Their litter of kids go to our schools, of which we pay the education taxes out of our real estate taxes. & i see them at Food town shopping with food stamp's while driving new SUV's., Like i said Something is wrong somewhere.

December 14, 2010 at 13:25 | Report abuse |
    • Vic

Sorry Tuna, but you are incorrect. Illegal Aliens cannot get food stamps, medicaid or welfare without a SS number. When they get old, they don't get a SS check. They also pay sales tax. If they go to the emergency room, they do get care, but so do uninsured legal citizens. I don't want to get into a debate about immigration because quite frankly, that's a broken system, too, but at least get your conspiracy theories in order.

December 14, 2010 at 15:07 | Report abuse |
  36. Carl

State laws require you to have auto liability insurance for damage you do to OTHER PEOPLE. You are not required to have auto insurance that benefits you.

And look at how well that works, for all of you who want to say that health insurance is the same as car insurance. If requiring insurance actually works, why do we all pay extra to be covered when we are hit by "uninsured motorists"? The last thing we need on top of that is to have the government tell our insurance companies that they have to pay bills for people who have never paid for insurance. Not only would we get stuck with paying for our own vehicle when one of these idiots hits us, but we would have to pay for theirs as well?

What comes next? Will banks have to give out money to people who never make deposits?

December 14, 2010 at 15:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Frank Shelton

YBM That dont suprise me at all Isee this alot but its not every one.IIIknow a single mother that sells the food for drugs. there is a lot of abuse of the sytem out thire.

December 14, 2010 at 19:39 | Report abuse |
  37. cari

So what about those of us who cannot afford the insurance, but are decent, tax paying, honorable citizens who have no insurance, are in good general health, and who pay their own way? Those of us with fixed incomes who- because after years of dedicated service to all you civilians in a job where I risked my own life to save another's- can not work after a line of duty career ending injury causing me to be permanently disabled. Those of us to whom the thought of not paying any bill would not even enter their mind? Those of us who don't want charity and don't take handouts?

December 17, 2010 at 03:57 | Report abuse | Reply