home
RSS
Get a flu shot now, CDC says
December 6th, 2010

Get a flu shot now, CDC says

We’re halfway through the Hanukkah celebration; Christmas sales are in full swing and flu season is starting to pick up. So federal health officials are once again reminding everyone about the importance of getting vaccinated against the flu – part of National Influenza Vaccination Week.

This is the first flu season in which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  is recommending that most everyone older than 6 months of age get a flu vaccine.

A recent telephone survey conducted on behalf of the CDC suggests at least one in three Americans have already been vaccinated.  But that’s not enough, according to health officials.

“We don't want people to be complacent because disease activity has been low so far this year,” warns Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. “Flu is coming.”

Health officials are encouraged by the numbers of people already vaccinated, many more can benefit from being protected, Schuchat said.

“[Vaccine] coverage was 10 percent higher among whites than among blacks or Hispanics,” Schuchat told reporters.  She also noted that one one child had reportedly died from the flu this season.

According to the latest CDC flu map, Georgia is the only state reporting “regional” flu activity and nine states and Puerto Rico are reporting the lesser “local” flu activity.  Most of the rest of the United States is dealing with sporadic cases of the flu and Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Vermont haven’t had any flu activity yet.

Flu activity today is much weaker compared with a year ago, when the then-new H1N1 virus was causing a lot of illness.  But health officials caution that we’re only two weeks away from the Christmas holidays, which means people will be traveling to see family and friends and they may not  only come bearing gifts but also flu virus.

So the message from the Department of Health and Human Services is – if you haven’t already done so, get a flu shot or nasal spray now – particularly because it takes about two weeks after getting the vaccine to gain full immunity to protect against getting sick from the flu.

1. Sheila

Just because we haven't gone to the doctor doesn't mean we haven't had the flu in Nebraska. It's here, it's rampant, but it is truly the 24 hour bug that is going around.

December 6, 2010 at 18:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Then that's not the flu.

December 6, 2010 at 22:52 | Report abuse |
    • thes33k3r

The comments here that are questioning the validity of the flu vaccination are ridiculous and based on unscientific nonsense and a paranoid-conspiracy-theory mindset. Sometimes the world is truly a saddening place to find oneself.

At my job, we administer flu shots. All of the employees at my location received the vaccine this year....except one. She refused to get the shot. Okay then, it was her choice. Her reasoning was that she "has never had the flu" so why bother? I also believe that she is a little averse to needles, which is understandable but can be overcome. It would have been given at no charge (paid for by our employer). Late last week, she got sick and went to the doctor. Guess what the diagnosis turned out to be? You got it...the flu. She hasn't worked since then (four days ago) and might be able to return to work tomorrow.

Now the flu vaccine cannot prevent, with 100% effectiveness, every possible strain of the flu. It is created each year containing dead parts of certain flu virus strains that are expected to most likely be present during the upcoming flu season. Note that it contains dead virus parts....which cannot cause an active infection. The reason that people sometimes come down with the flu "after they get the shot" is because it takes up to 2 weeks for the body to build up the active immunity necessary to protect one from the virus. You could already have the flu virus in your system and not yet have any symptoms at the time you are getting the vaccine. A person could also be exposed to a strain which is not included as part of the vaccine soon after getting the shot. The error in logic that is occurring here is called deducing causation from correlation: "I got the shot, then got the flu, therefore the shot had to be the cause of the flu".

Many of you reason "so what if I get the flu; it has never killed me when I had it before." The problem with this logic is that you are not considering the fact that once you have the influenza infection, you are not only a host to the virus but you are also a carrier. Your 2-year old kid or 80-year old grandmother are very likely to have a much more difficult time with the flu than are you. It is a fact that many elderly people initially contract the flu and in their weakened state eventually contract pneumonia or other infections/complications which kill them. Why not turn off the Jenny Mccarthy anti-vaccine video and look at the evidence?

From a broader philosophical perspective, the anti-vaccine meme is just one part of a larger anti-science worldview that far too many people harbor. Science is the best tool we have in our effort to understand the universe in which we find ourselves and in trying to make the world a better place. Just look at the evidence people. Without the advent of vaccines on a worldwide scale during the past 200 years or so, many of us wouldn't even be here. Ever heard of smallpox or polio?? There is a distinct possibility that one day science could provide a vaccine for HIV or one to use against cancer. Can we even imagine that? What if, say a few years from now, we are attacked (or about to be attacked) on a nationwide scale with anthrax and the government is providing a recently-developed new vaccine for it? Would you take your chances with the anthrax or go get the vaccine? Why not join us in the world of reason, evidence and science that we call the 21st century and go get an influenza vaccination?

December 7, 2010 at 01:54 | Report abuse |
    • HydroWheels25

thes33k3r: Your point is a valid and true one. It's also very altruistic. Another very valid, and conspiracy-free point is that even those with weak immune systems can combat the flu if the treatment is right – and if they have a really weak immune system, they could catch just about anything. The very small chance of a healthy young person developing a very bad side effect is enough to overpower the reward of that really old or young person becoming sick. Just saying the point is a valid argument.

December 7, 2010 at 02:10 | Report abuse |
    • friend1390

I stay away from those shots like the plague. Thank you, but I don't inject corporate goo directly into my bloodstream unless I need it to save my life in under twenty minutes.

December 7, 2010 at 05:02 | Report abuse |
    • Diane

I had an allergic reaction 15 years ago to the flu shot. I got it at lunch during work. I ate, I barely made it back to my desk until I was running a fever, and chills like I stuck on the top of the Matterhorn. My boss asked me what the heck happened? Flu shot.. "Oh god, just go home now please!" I drove home.. Pains in my back creeping.. Could barely keep my eyes focused by the time I got to my street. Got out. Got in bed. And the headache came like a if someone dropped a steam iron on top of the back of my skull. I got so sick I cried. (that's never happened since I had tonsillitis) I couldn't help myself.. By the time the puking started everything started to kinda blur together in my memory after that point. I was out of work for two days. I was worthless, drained, and the doctor said "well, at least you know no to get flu shots anymore.. please give me 200 dollars for that information.. thank you.. goodbye.." No good drugs. And that was xmas gifts for my family. If I can say more more thing if anyone is still listening... THANKS FOR LETTING ME KNOW THAT PEOPLE CAN BE HYPERSENSITIVE TO FLU SHOTS.. It would have made more sense to do it on a saturday. Puh. I'm done here.

December 7, 2010 at 05:08 | Report abuse |
    • stanislas

"I don't inject corporate goo directly into my bloodstream unless I need it to save my life in under twenty minutes." The flu shot is not injected directly into your bloodstream, genius.

December 7, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse |
    • Xilo

@Diane, that's not a reaction to the shot. You could potentially have an allergic reaction in that time frame, but what you're describing is not an allergic reaction. Far more likely, you had already been incubating the virus for a few days, and you happened to develop symptoms on the same day that you received the shot. There was also likely a psychosomatic component, where you attributed your reaction to the shot itself and expected to develop more symptoms. However, while it is possible to have a reaction to the flu shot, it's impossible for your body to mount a flu-like response in the amount of time you are describing. It takes time and requires a much larger, systemic invasion rather than a local IM dose of dead virus.

December 7, 2010 at 09:58 | Report abuse |
    • Rational Human

I don't know that there is any value in wasting energy attempting to explain, to those who believe in all the conspiracy anti-science nonsense, why it is in their own best interest to get a flu shot. Perhaps the rest of us should just let nature (evolution) take its course. A flu pandemic that eliminates these folks just might do our society and this world some good. Give our average intelligence level a nice boost. I suspect that many of these people are the very same ones that are spouting off against teaching science in public schools, in favor of state religion (as long as it's theirs), against funding research, etc. It does not matter how many times you try to explain that correlation does not equal causality – they will never understand it! They just lack the capacity, and always will. What is worse, because there are so many like minded idiots out there who now all have the Internet at their disposal (a tool created by people applying principals discovered through research), they can all reinforce one another's ignorance and delusions and make one another feel great about it. They can wipe away all of their pain, humiliation and insecurity that they felt at getting such terrible grades in those ghastly public schools that futilely tried to teach them something about reality, and finally feel safe and secure in their mutual ignorance.

December 7, 2010 at 19:14 | Report abuse |
  2. Dan

The influenza vaccine protects you from the influenza virus, which is a respiratory pathogen. It has nothing to do with the 'stomach flu'.

December 6, 2010 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Laura

Exactly! The stomach bug/flu is NOT influenza – although I know that some people have nausea and vomiting with the flu, the flu is a respiratory illness. If you ever have a child that gets so sick from it that you think they might die, I'll bet you'll change your mind! And my child does not/did not have a compromised immune system . . .

December 7, 2010 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • RW

Laura – I know what you mean! I myself have had the flu so bad that not only did I think I was going to die, I was hoping it would happen faster!

To this day, seven years later, I get the vaccine every year. Everyone in my family also does. None of us have any adverse effects other that a little sore spot on our arm for a day or two, and in seven years, I haven't had the flu again. Thank God for medicine!

December 7, 2010 at 11:02 | Report abuse |
    • Emvaz

Sorry, if you think injecting yourself with pieces of last year's dead flu is somehow going to protect you against a flu virus which can essentially mutate every single day, then maybe you deserve the brain-dissolving mercury and the neurological disorders that come along with it. Maybe you deserve the adjuvant pig squalene triggering the immune system to attack the natural squalene in your own soft tissues, specifically the joints and brain. Enjoy your arthritis and autism. And if you don't understand what I just said than you haven't done any actual research. I would suggest you stop listening to the corporate media and start thinking for yourself, that is if your brain is still intact after all that mercury injected directly into the bloodstream.

The flu is minor, and anybody who knows anything about anatomy and physiology also knows that the flu is no match for a healthy immune system. Lets see, it's been almost three years since I started eating a nutrient-rich diet and stopped with all pharmaceutical and prescription "medicine," and I haven't been sick, not even with the sniffles, for that same amount of time. Keep in mind that for two of those years, I was living in a college dorm...Before that time I was sick an average of 3-4 times a year...Thanks for all the help, vaccines.

Tell you what, if y'all still think vaccines are there for your health, just go the the Philippines and start a regimen of tetanus vaccinations. See, multiple independent tests of these specific vaccines revealed the presence of human chorionic gonadotropin (hcG), a fertility hormone that naturally occurs in the female body after fertilization and prepares the uterine wall for egg implantation. The hcG is bonded to the tetanus toxoid, so when the body immunizes itself against tetanus, it is also immunized against the hormone. After several vaccinations, Philippine women become immune to the hormone, and whenever the body creates it, it is immediately destroyed, rendering the female infertile.

Here's the link (ignore the religious dogma): http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20Government/AIDS%20and%20Population%20Elimination/gates.htm

hcG isn't something that just appears accidentally, it was put there purposefully, with the only logical purpose being to control human population. If you still don't believe me, well then knock yourself out and get all the vaccines you want, the gene pool will be better off without you.

December 8, 2010 at 08:50 | Report abuse |
    • Emvaz

Who owns CNN? Ted Turner does. In 1996 in Audubon Magazine, Turner is quoted as saying: “A total population of 250-300 million people, a 95% decline from present levels, would be ideal."

Turner is one of thousands in power who share this same mentality.

December 8, 2010 at 09:37 | Report abuse |
  3. JustinCase

The flu shot is a scam, most people do not need it. I am 38 years old and the only times I have ever had the flu was after falling for the flu shot scam the year before. I have even had nurses tell me that they do not get the flu shot for their kids because chances are the kids will end up with the flu the following season. The swine flu was proof that the CDC and medical community along with the drug companies are motivated by more than simple facts. I am willing to bet that if it was illegal for any company or person to receive money, incentives and/or reimbursements for the flu shot we would shortly start hearing how the rates and severity of the flu seem to be magically decreasing. I'll take my chances just as I have always done and remain healthier.

December 6, 2010 at 19:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • The_Mick

The nurses lied to you. You can NOT get the flu from the shot. Yes I'm a scientist. In my school system there are 4000 teachers. Statistics show that those who get the flu shot each year tend to retire with more unused sick days than others. I had so many it added a year to my retirement pension calculations.

December 6, 2010 at 20:23 | Report abuse |
    • friend1390

hear hear

December 7, 2010 at 05:04 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

you certainly can get the flu from the shot it happened to a co worker of mine a few weeks ago

December 7, 2010 at 06:31 | Report abuse |
    • RabiaDiluvio

TheMick
      If you are a real scientist, you know that this is false. You absolutely can get the flu from a flu shot. it is rare, but possible. Keep in mind that most of the symptoms people associate with flu are not the infection per se, but the immune response to the infection. All it takes is a strong immune response to the actual inoculation and that person will report having "the flu." Nevermind that, the nasal mist version is a live vaccine and this is why they inform people that it is NOT for someone with a weakened immune system.

December 7, 2010 at 07:08 | Report abuse |
    • rosta

Why are they pushing everyone to get the vaccine? They hyped the swine-flu up so much but it infected less people than the seasonal flu. Something doesn't sound right.

December 7, 2010 at 07:48 | Report abuse |
    • john zimmer

Got seat belts? I'll bet you don't "believe" in them either.

December 7, 2010 at 09:04 | Report abuse |
    • Marshall

I agree with you 100% Everyone I know who gets a flu shot ends up getting sick.I am 44 years old and never get a flu shot.And guess what?I never get sick.My daughter never gets a flu shot,she never gets anything more than the sniffles.Last year she did no miss one day of school for being sick.Same this year.Use vitamins d3,c,e and a.Wash your hands,use hand sanitizer,stay hydrated,use common sense hygiene.Eat healthy and exercise.But do not let them inject there poisons into your body.

December 7, 2010 at 09:21 | Report abuse |
    • neal kelley

I do not think it is a scam.. i have had the flu many a few times in my life.. but the worse was in 2007 when i came down with the flu and lingered for over a month. What happened was that I caught a bacterial infection as a result of serve flu.. After that near death experience I decided to get the flu shot every year..and so far.. I have not caught the flu since... not even a cold..

December 7, 2010 at 09:53 | Report abuse |
    • RW

TheMick is correct. You can NOT get the flu from the flu shot. You can at most, experience flu-like symptoms for a day or so from the immune response, but that doesn't mean you have the flu. The virus within the shot is dead and incapable of reproducing and causing the flu.

You can get the flu from the nasal mist because it uses a live virus.

And to the one(s) who say everyone they know gets sick after the shot, I call bluff. They may experience the immune response – which feels a little like the flu, but they aren't getting the flu. If it is in fact the full-blown flu, then they already had it in their body before getting the shot and they would have been sick anyway.

December 7, 2010 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Prescribing physicians do not receive "kick-backs" from pharmaceutical drug reps. They cannot even receive pens from the companies anymore. Get your facts straight.

December 7, 2010 at 11:11 | Report abuse |
    • EPEP

Oh, because anecdotal "evidence" is the best way to provide others with complete and as unbiased as possible evidence. And give me a break with these conspiracy theories – our country can't even effectively combat terrorism and you seriously think that the government has the time, money, or sheer manpower to carry our a pointless vaccination "plan"? That's cute that you think that, you obviously are completely clueless.

December 7, 2010 at 12:46 | Report abuse |
    • Emvaz

@ EPEP
      It's cute that you still think the government cares about you. It's cute how you still don't realize that the political elite within our own government and governments around the world, are colluding to pull the proverbial rug out from underneath society for the purpose of creating a controlled population collapse now, so that we don't have to deal with an uncontrolled one later. It's cute how even after all the environmentalist and anti-humanist propaganda being shoveled down your throats, you still don't realize that environmentalism IS population control.

It's cute how you still think Al'Qaeda planned and executed 9/11 by themselves with no help from anybody within the government. Because the military industrial complex would never do anything to extend the duration of a war, thus ensuring a paycheck next month, right? What's really cute is how even with fistfuls of evidence right in front of your face, you will never understand that the orchestrated War on Terror, economic collapse, energy and food crises, are all separate parts of the same seven-headed dragon of population control for the purpose of reducing scarcity and creating their vision of a utopian society.

The light of the truth may be painful and hard to adjust to at first, but it sure makes the world infinitely easier to understand.

December 8, 2010 at 09:14 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

EMvaz, honey, those black helicopters aren't real. Now just relax; I'm sure the nice men in the white coats will be along shortly with your Thorazine drip.

December 8, 2010 at 20:51 | Report abuse |
  4. Ryan

The only time I've ever had the flu was when I got vaccinated. I don't trust the efficacy of flu vaccinations, and I wouldn't consider getting one unless I had some medical complication whereby contracting the flu on top of that would possibly lead to death.

December 6, 2010 at 19:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lori

Same here. The only time I've ever had the flu, was directly following the shot. Never again.

December 6, 2010 at 21:28 | Report abuse |

Baloney, Lori.

December 6, 2010 at 22:55 | Report abuse |
    • anon

you don't know lori in real life nor do I and cannot say whereas the validity of her statements.

December 7, 2010 at 04:13 | Report abuse |
    • ummm

baloney gave me the flu...I was out for a week.

December 7, 2010 at 07:19 | Report abuse |
    • Lioness

I have also heard many people report being ill much more often during the year following a flu shot than during any year in which they don't receive the vaccine. I think there's truth to it for some people, and we need to know more about how vaccines affect people's immune systems in different ways.

December 7, 2010 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
  5. DYBO

At $20 to $30 each some folks are making a whole lot of money on these flu shots.

December 6, 2010 at 20:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Gee. I'm sure those folks are millionaires by now.

/sarcasm.

December 6, 2010 at 22:54 | Report abuse |
    • Jet Li

The drug companies are behind all of these CDC recommendation.. they are in the business for ripping off people.. Have you watch the prescription drug price?? gosh.. they are sky rocketing..

December 7, 2010 at 02:04 | Report abuse |
    • anon

not really although the regulators in each industry do "good work" for the industries they are regulating you see then when they quit they go to their "employer" and get a nice cushy official job for their trouble. Like one of cdc last year hyping h1n1 went to become the vice president of marketing of some company if I remember correctly although I do not have a source to provide for this info.

December 7, 2010 at 04:15 | Report abuse |
    • Paulie

December 7, 2010 at 06:28 | Report abuse |
    • Annoyed

@Paulie – They incubate it in egg SHELLS because that's part of the process. Try reading up on how vaccines are created before commenting on spoiled eggs. Sheesh.

December 7, 2010 at 10:41 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

FInd out what percentage of the pharmaceutical companies' profits come from flu vaccine, and then get back to me. I can hardly wait to see what HUGE profits they make. /more sarcasm

December 7, 2010 at 10:59 | Report abuse |
  6. Robert

I had the flu once, it felt like I was dying, but you know what – I didn't!
    but then this vaccine, might kill me?!
    hmm, I'm not saying don't get vacinated, I've just gotten 3 shots, I'm just saying I never died from the flu, and people do die from the flu shot sometimes

December 6, 2010 at 22:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Umm, not so. Unless you can show proof, you're in the dark there, dear. People die from the flu; not from the vaccine.

December 6, 2010 at 22:53 | Report abuse |
    • anon

might or might not beable to get a detailed refutation of your thoughts that vacines are good to research for cnn is listing my explantion in moderation and might probably disallow it you'll have to do the research yourself in that case. search for formedehyde I would recommend as well as flu shot ingredients then search for h1n1(immunity from lawsuits why give that unless if they suspect that it is very bad) flu shot implementation into it whenever I give detailed posts cnn censors it.

December 7, 2010 at 04:42 | Report abuse |
    • Kh

I don't know the actual safety record of the flu shot, but around 30,000 people die of the flu every year in the U.S. alone.

December 7, 2010 at 08:25 | Report abuse |
  7. notmyrealname

People who yap about the danger of the flu shot are morons. The greater risk is having the flu. I challenge anyone to prove that he/she was sick in bed for 2 weeks after getting a flu shot.

You wanna be sick, go ahead. You're too stupid to live long anyway.

December 6, 2010 at 22:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Janna

My family for a 24 hour flu bug. We had gotten our shots weeks before so it wasn't right after. It started with my 1yr old baby girl getting a high fever of 101 that rose to 102 right before we rushed to the hospital. They diagnosed us with ear infections because our ears were red, but we actually hadn't caught what she had fully yet. The next day she was getting better and I got a high fever, chills, headache, ears felt clogged and sore, but we all took the antibiotics they gave us even though we suspected they had rushed us in and out with a half diagnosis. Since it only lasted 24 hours and the fever subsided, we had gone through so much Tylenol AND Ibuprofen combo that we were certain it was a strain of the flu. No upset tummies, though my niece of 12 got a different medicine for her asthmatic cough. I think she might have been getting pneumonia.

December 7, 2010 at 08:08 | Report abuse |
    • RW

Janna – it may very well have been the flu, but how long would it have lasted if none of you were vaccinated? I would think much longer than 24 hours.

December 7, 2010 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

And you didn't get the flu from the shot. You got either a strain of the flu that was different than the one in the vaccine, or you got a milder form of the flu than you would have had you not gotten the vaccine. But the illness did not come from the shot.

December 7, 2010 at 11:22 | Report abuse |
    • Emily

Just because I choose not to get the flu vaccine does not make me a moron or a conspiracy theorist and I deserve to live just as long as the rest of you. I have never known anyone who has died of the flu, I have no children, and since my grandparents have breathing problems, if I get sick or am around someone who is, I don't go see them. This is not that difficult. If you stay healthy and use common sense, you don't need the flu vaccine. Sure you might get sick. Get over it. Everyone does.

December 23, 2010 at 10:43 | Report abuse |
  8. jlk;

Seriously?. . .. A flu shot is a no brainer especially for kids and old people. There is no chance of getting the flu from a flu shot; the virus is already dead. If you aren't in one of those two groups it still beats the flu. $20-$30 versus being out of work and miserable for a few days beats skipping the shot.

December 6, 2010 at 23:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. De

There's maybe 7 people who celebrate Hanukkah in the world. lol

Doesn't make sense to refer to something that 99% of the world doesn't know anything about.

December 6, 2010 at 23:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bass-O-Matic

De- Huh? Are you commenting on the right thread? Flu vaccines, etc.?

December 6, 2010 at 23:21 | Report abuse |
    • TellMeNoLies

Maybe if you left the trailer park you'd see that a lot of people celebrate Channukah..there are millions of Jews in the US...and if that's all you got out of this article,you have a problem..

December 7, 2010 at 07:08 | Report abuse |
    • De

I'm commenting on the writer's poor writing skills. I live in NYC, thanks.

December 7, 2010 at 22:38 | Report abuse |
  10. Andy

All ready got mine for free in september.

– A

December 6, 2010 at 23:18 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Adam

I've never gotten a Flu shot, and I never will get a Flu shot. No thank you.

December 6, 2010 at 23:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Todd

I've had the flu, maaaaybe 3 times in the past 20 years. Forget the cost of the shot itself, as someone who is not a child and not elderly, why the hell would I get one? Shots, no fun. Given my track record (don't argue the sample with me), even if it was 100% effective (which it isn't even close to being), that's a 5% chance per year.

Am I missing something?
    -T

December 7, 2010 at 00:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Todd

Sorry for the late night math... but still.. in the U.S isn't this basically a problem for children and elderly? The flu sucks, but I'm still here.

December 7, 2010 at 00:04 | Report abuse |
    • Stop Being Self-Centered

Seriously? How about protecting those really unimportant babies and the elderly...or do you just not care if you give someone else's baby the flu and they end up with serious complications? Stop being selfish and get it so you don't spread the flu to the people around you. Even people like me who have immune system disorders could really use all the help we can get from friends, co-workers and family to not contract something that has the potential to kill us or have us laid up for weeks (...are you seriously afraid of a needle? That's a pretty piddly excuse to not get a shot. Sometimes things in life are uncomfortable (I had brain surgery and I'm still here, aren't I? That involved WAY more than just needles.). Deal with it, if you care for the well-being of your family and friends, at the very least).

December 7, 2010 at 01:00 | Report abuse |
    • anon

but most people get flu shot anyway so what are you so afriad of you are immune. that baby you mentioned probably has the flu shot.

December 7, 2010 at 04:28 | Report abuse |
  13. Not getting it

How about those who want it to get it and those who don't want it to not get it. Then have someone do a survey to see how many of each die. Myself, I'll take my chances of dying naturally.

December 7, 2010 at 00:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. daveyboy

get the shot you wimps!

December 7, 2010 at 00:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Sydney

I am actually not allowed to take the flu shot, per doctors orders. I have an egg allergy, and because the vaccine is grown in eggs, I can't take it. I am actually healthier without it.

December 7, 2010 at 08:39 | Report abuse |
  15. Thomas

I got it once. That was the only year I ever got the flu. Im never going to get it again

December 7, 2010 at 01:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. bookwizard

I am in an "at risk" group, so I always have the flu shot as does my husband since he is my primary care giver. Neither of us has had the flu in 20 years. I will continue having it. To not have it is foolish.

December 7, 2010 at 01:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Jet Li

Don't do it.. NO & NO.. I was reading the news and etc so I took my son to the Doctor and got flu shots.. my mom went with me and got a flu shot.. My wife never believed it so she did not.. and guess what.. My son and My Mom kept getting sick.. even year later.. we have 4 doctors in our family and ALL of them don't let their children get the flu shots.. yes, they do give flu shots for their patience though.. so don't get it.. CDC is a joke.. I think the drug company behind all of these shots.. look at the H1N1 virus.. billions and billions of dollars were wasted and it turn out to be a hoax..

December 7, 2010 at 02:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Faith

A hoax? Say what? I HAD H1N1, 104 fever for four days out of eight, completely delirious, unable to breathe. Definitely not a hoax. Now the fact that they threw the vaccine out within a month...that squicks me.

December 7, 2010 at 06:24 | Report abuse |
    • RW

Hoax my foot! I am with faith. I was hospitalized for nearly a week because of H1N1. I felt like I was dying and frankly didn't care if I did. Same fever 103-104. My mom and doctors could feel the heat coming off of me from my bedside – without touching me. I was a human furnace.

December 7, 2010 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
  18. pat

No thank you.

December 7, 2010 at 05:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. katie

Yeah, I do everything the government tells me to because 'they' know what's best for me. NOT!! I have a good immune system, always have, have never had the flu, and intend to go on through my life without the aid of 'government' shots. I'm sure in about 20 years they'll admit that they cause some other medical issues that they didn't foresee.

December 7, 2010 at 06:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. drunken monkey

Quick!! Get in line you Sheep and get infected with the flu virus and what ever they want to put in you. Do any of you wonder why we are in the midst of " Super Bugs"?

December 7, 2010 at 06:07 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lillian

Amen! When Americans start taking responsibility for their own health and their family's, by breastfeeding, eating healthy, exercising, etc., then maybe I'll consider risking Guillain-Barre Syndrome, mercury poisoning, early onset Alzheimers, and a milieu of other illnesses we don't even know about yet from the long-term affects of flu shots, just to try to keep you people healthy. In the meantime, my responsibility is MY health and the health of MY family. Those who think the flu shot or any other vaccine is risk-free are delusional.

December 7, 2010 at 11:14 | Report abuse |
  21. Faith

I don't care for the flu shot. Mostly because I'm deathly afraid of needles. I haven't had one since I was 17 which is the last time my mom was able to force me to get one.

I've had the flu once since, and that was H1N1 which there was no vaccine for until after I'd recovered (I will say if I could live never being that sick again I'd be happy, plzkthx). So I don't feel the burning desire to rush out for the vaccine. Now if I had a compromised immune system it would be different...

December 7, 2010 at 06:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. mayrider

Good grief–of course it's possible to get the flu after a flu shot, just like it's possible to be injured in a car accident even if you wear a seatbelt. The idea is to minimize your risk as much as possible. The only time I got the flu, and I was extremely sick, was the year I didn't get the shot. Remember that the flu attacks your lungs and can lead to pneumonia. Why chance it?

December 7, 2010 at 06:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tracy

Thank you! I have a two-year old son with asthma. He has been treated for asthma-like symptoms since he was four months old (they wouldn't diagnose it as asthma that early). For most people, catching the flu is annoying and inconvenient (and yes, can be painful), but for those people like my son, it can be deadly. For people with asthma or weakened immune systems, the flu can lead to other issues like pneumonia. That's why he gets the flu shot.

December 7, 2010 at 10:16 | Report abuse |
    • Lillian

Remember that mercury attacks your brain and can lead to neurological disorders. Why chance THAT?

December 7, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • Tracy

Lillian,

There are thimerosal-free vaccines. Even if there weren't, I would still vaccinate my son against the flu. He has already suffered through two bouts of pneumonia before he was 18 months old. I will do what I can to avoid THAT.

December 7, 2010 at 14:38 | Report abuse |
  23. Martha

Knew it was only a matter of time this season before media got back on the "flu shot" horse. Tell me, what kind of relationship does Time Warner/Turner Entertainment/etc. have with Sanofi Pasteur, etc.? I'm sure it's all quite cozy.

December 7, 2010 at 06:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Paulie

Well...the shots are made by Sanofi Aventis. They get hundreds of millions of dollars in govt grants to make the vaccine. Thats why even though its almost 2011 they make it based on eggs so whole batches of it spoil and they can soak the govt for more grant money each year.

December 7, 2010 at 06:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyname

That is a very ignorant statment. The vaccines are made in eggs because the virus must be incubated in living cells for replication to occur and eggs are thought to be safer than human cells.

December 7, 2010 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
  25. John

WOW, some of the comments are so off base it is good reading. To dispel a few myths, the flu vaccine is not live so it is not possible to get the flu from getting a flu shot. There are however side effects that mimic the flu such as soreness where the injection was given, fever, muscle aches and even allergic reactions but you cannot get the flu.
    The CDC does a great job at predicting the strain of influenza which they believe will be the predominate influenza strain in the coming flu season. Mind you this is done the previous spring/early summer at the latest which gives the manufactures enough time to manufacture the flu vaccine.
    Most people who say they have the flu don’t in fact have it. We all make the statement when we don’t feel well in the winter months that I have the flu. Unless you go to the doctor and they identify your illness as the flu you can’t officially be counted in the numbers.
    Many more people die from the flu than the flu vaccine. You are injecting a foreign substance into your body to build up your immune system.
    Personally, I get the shot every year with the expectation of the year they rushed the one to the production for fear of a pandemic with H1N1, I rolled the dice the dice and got lucky. My wife doesn’t believe in them and does not get one.
    Do your research and make your decision as to what is best for you and your family.

December 7, 2010 at 07:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marshall

When they are caught with the live ones they ship them off to a third world country.It has already happened.The company that released contaminated flu virus material from a plant in Austria confirmed Friday that the experimental product contained live H5N1 avian flu viruses.

And an official of the World Health Organization’s European operation said the body is closely monitoring the investigation into the events that took place at Baxter International’s research facility in Orth-Donau, Austria.

December 7, 2010 at 09:00 | Report abuse |
  26. TellMeNoLies

The flu shot changes every year based on which type of flu is forecast to be prevalent..this year it includes the normal flu that people get and H1N1... Last year we were in a flu Pandemic,but we lucked out because the H1n1 didn't make people as sick as it could have.....if you don't want to get a flu shot,don't get one but it seems pretty foolish to not get a simple shot that could prevent a possible serious illness...usually it's not the flu that kills you,but the complications like pneumonia.....oh, and The Spanish flu pandemic killed young,healthy people more than the elderly or middle aged people...So thet next time the CDC tells you to get a flu vaccine( for your own good) ,good luck with that..And you people who talk about conspiracy,it's really irresponsible to spread your crap about subjects that can cost people their lives..

December 7, 2010 at 07:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Zee

People who say not to get the flu shot because it could kill them, are the same ones who say they don't wear seat belts because they want to get 'thrown clear' in case of an accident.
    Yes, and the Democrats are our friends, and there really IS a Santa Claus! (rolls eyes)

December 7, 2010 at 07:34 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Baruch

This year's flu vaccine is bundled with the H1N1 vaccine. Remember that, from a year ago? That's the untested vaccine that has resulted in thousands of miscarriages, a number of deaths and cases of Guillain–Barré syndrome.

You couldn't pay me enough to allow these pathogens to be injected into my body, and if I had kids I would not let this vaccine anywhere near them.

To those who poo poo these concerns, do your research. The H1N1 vaccine has been discredited by health care professionals around the world.

December 7, 2010 at 07:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lioness

Please provide some proof for your statement that the vaccine for H1N1 has been "discredited" by legitimate doctors and scientists around the world.

December 7, 2010 at 09:08 | Report abuse |
  29. Greg

If you have private insurance, it is CRUCIAL that you switch to one of the new plans made available after September 23, 2010 because they include free preventative care (like flu shots), they have no annual or lifetime maximums, and kids don't have to go through underwriting and must be accepted up to age 26 regardless of pre-existing conditions. If you bought your health insurance before September 23, you can get a free quote at http://www.usabg.net/ghovey/quote

Surprisingly the rates have even gone down.

December 7, 2010 at 07:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Greg

No thanks, No need to inject some hokey crap into my system to protect me from strainX/Y/Z of the flu. I was told by my own doctor that once you get it once, you have to get it every year, so I would prefer NOT to ever get it

December 7, 2010 at 07:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Kh

I would suggest finding another doctor. That's a load of BS!

December 7, 2010 at 08:27 | Report abuse |
    • Lioness

There's no such thing as "You have to get it every year in order for it to work." That would make no sense.

December 7, 2010 at 09:10 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

YOu need to have your doctor clean out your ears, because you didn't hear any doctor say any such thing. The flu shot you get this year will protect you from this year's flu. Next year, the strain of flu will likely be different. You would need a shot formulated to protect you from THAT strain. If you don't get it, what do you think will happen to you? What a goofball.

December 7, 2010 at 09:25 | Report abuse |
  31. Bill

If the Government / Bilderbergers want to cull the herd maybe they should find a more subtle way to do it.

December 7, 2010 at 07:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. MM

No flu shot here. I'm not submitted to the government's orders as I already have enough mercury (one of the most toxic substances to humans and used as a preservative in vaccines) in my diet and don't need any additional from a flu shot. In years to come, we are going to find out that flu shots and other types of immunizations have contributed to deadly illnesses we have. I used to be a firm believer in getting the annual flu shot but have not done so in the past three years. No need. If I get the flu, I'll deal with it then. I'm just not going to let the gov't poison me at this point.

December 7, 2010 at 08:00 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

What "orders" are you puling about?

December 7, 2010 at 09:19 | Report abuse |
  33. Pastor Evans

Believers in Jesus Christ stop playing into the fears of the world. Trust in Jesus Christ as His witnesses that nothing can hurt or harm us because we belong to Him. I don't get any flu shots and I never get the flu. Take a chance on using all these different drugs as human experiments if you want, but it's not necessary. What's necessary is coming out of this world and being nothing like it!!! Take a stand believers, its time to put up or shut up if you belong to the Lord!!! Amen!!!

December 7, 2010 at 08:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. WarriorsMk

Hope those of you who aren't getting flu shots because you are neither young nor old don't run into a flu virus like 1918 when it was the 20 somethings who died by the thousands. For the sake of population control also skip the mumps, measels, chickpox, small pox and all the other vaccines. It would be good for the population to eliminate those in the shallow end of the gene pool.

December 7, 2010 at 08:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

There are a bunch of microcephalics on here. I hope they avoid all medical intervention and allow Darwin's theory to go to work at improving the average level of intelligence among the population. Squirrels are smarter.

December 7, 2010 at 09:19 | Report abuse |
    • Lillian

You do realize that our sanitation and knowledge of basic hygiene is much better now than in 1918, correct?

Well, when you vaccine zealots all start dropping dead from autoimmune disorders and a flu strain that isn't covered by the flu shot, but your immune system is too weak to fight it BECAUSE of all the chemicals you've pumped into your body, and you can't reproduce because the foreign DNA has rendered you infertile, then we'll see how NATURAL selection really works.

December 7, 2010 at 11:21 | Report abuse |
  35. Dani in WI

I'm healthy and well equipped to fight off or get through the flu naturally, if I should get it. I'm just not willing to subject my body to the chemicals in the flu vaccine when I don't think that I need it. The flu vaccine STILL contains Thimerisol – which has been linked to significant neurological breakdowns in laboratory animals. I'm not willing to risk it.

December 7, 2010 at 08:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Valerie

There are preservative free flu shots available for anyone who wants them. I work in a pharmacy so we do dispense them occasionally but not very many people ask for them.

December 7, 2010 at 08:46 | Report abuse |
    • Haa

Still have nasal and single dose options you slow poke.

December 7, 2010 at 08:48 | Report abuse |
    • Ruby

It's an easy matter to get a Thimerasol-free (sp?) vaccine - all you have to do is ask in most places. My kids both got the Thimerasol-free single dose injection. One of them has asthma, so I choose to vaccinate them. My husband and I don't do it, though.

December 7, 2010 at 10:44 | Report abuse |
  36. Gary M

Yeah, I'll run right out and get that.

December 7, 2010 at 08:37 | Report abuse | Reply
  37. Anonymous

My family got our flu shots in November.

December 7, 2010 at 08:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. noneya

If you think this is over blown, check out http://www.familiesfightingflu.org/

December 7, 2010 at 08:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. Valerie

I work in a retail pharmacy, my insurance pays 100% of the cost of a flu shot, and I'm not getting one. I am not convinced that we need all these vaccines. How is our immune system ever going to work when we need it to if we're vaccinating against everything? I, too, wonder how much money the drug companies are making off of flu shots? And this year there is a "high dose" for anyone 65 and older. Uh huh.

December 7, 2010 at 08:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

For someone who works in a pharmacy, you don't know a thing about how vaccines work. Our immune systems don't become "weaker" when we're vaccinated against diseases. Educate yourself.

December 7, 2010 at 09:15 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

Try again. There's quite a few Valerie's on these comments sections. I don't work in a Pharmacy, I work somewhere else.

December 8, 2010 at 17:10 | Report abuse |
  40. Marshall

I received the swine flu shot in 1976 and became very sick.It was the last and only time I have ever received a flu vaccine.There are better ways to prevent the flu the having those poisons injected into your body.All flu vaccines contain thimerosal(mercury), formaldehyde, detergent, MF-59 (an oil-based adjuvant), and other toxins. Instead get vitamin d3,vitamins c,e and a.Stay hydrated.Wash your hands and use hand sanitizer.Use common sense hygiene.Avoid direct contact with sick people when possible.I use these methods and never get the flu.When you receive a flu vaccine it instantly weakens your immune system leaving you susceptible to a host of illnesses.And there is no guarantee that it will even prevent the flu.The flu vaccine is a scam for big pharma to make billions of dollars off of getting and keeping you sick.

December 7, 2010 at 08:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

What nonsense. Vaccines are not "poisons" and your ignorance is astounding.

December 7, 2010 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
    • Vaccines4mydaughters

Sounds like Notmyrealname hasn't went through what you have. I've never had problems with that shot, but I know some people are allergic to it. Notmyname, you either have an agenda for wasting so much time in here like myself, or you are prone to boredom like myself. You're rather interesting...you. I just might have to turn you over to my doctor and let him give you what he's been giving me. You'll love it. I promise.

December 7, 2010 at 12:48 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

"Hasn't went through". Great job writing like a high school dropout. It's easy to spot the imbeciles here. You fit right in.

December 8, 2010 at 20:48 | Report abuse |
  41. Joe, LA, CA

after last years fiasco.. never.. its all a scam.. designed to make huge profits for drug companies..

December 7, 2010 at 09:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • noneya

Really? Tell that to some of these families – http://www.familiesfightingflu.org/

December 7, 2010 at 11:44 | Report abuse |
  42. Wondering

I WONDER....how many of you that don't get a flu shot..... SMOKE CIGARETTES, but don't worry about the smokes killing you?????? Be an interesting statistic...don't ya think? 🙂

December 7, 2010 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. d.barlow m.d.

show me some proof that the vaccine works...that is first... second the death rate for h1n1 last year was 12000 per 100,000,000 cases.. that is 1.2 per 10000 cases.... do your homework.... i welcome anyone to tell me whether it is prudent to create a panic much less waste money and human resources on such a foolish medical escapade every year.. remember these people at the nih and advis comm on imm practices that are paid every year by the very vaccine companies who make the vaccines.... not ethical at all...

December 7, 2010 at 09:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

You aren't an MD at all. Fraud.

December 7, 2010 at 09:16 | Report abuse |
  44. R

No, will not get it.

December 7, 2010 at 09:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. ron

I have gotten flu, or flu like symtoms, the few times I got the shot, too. I am under no illusion the the millions and millions of doses that sell for $30-$50 a pop are provided for altruistic reasons. They are made and promoted by corporations that have a product to sell, just like hawking Viagra or something. "Lipitor, just ask you Doctor!" Sure.

And, if you get a flu shot, what happens? You get one of the thousands of strains that are NOT covered by the shot you paid for.

I've found the best way to stay away from the flu is this. Stay away from idiots that are bare foot & dressed in shorts in the cold, in the winter. When you hear a kid cough in an adjacent aisle in Walmart, turn around and head the other way. Stay out of doctors offices, as much as is practical, particularly in flu season. That is where the sick people are! Duh!!! Havn't you read about all the killer disease problems they have in hospitals? It's not the flu, but my mom went to the hospital for a procedure, and came away with persitent boils on her chest that lasted over a year, and was told she likely got them while hospitalized, for instance. Not that you shouldn't go there, when you need to. I just sayin', that's where the sick people ARE.

December 7, 2010 at 09:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ron

Oh! And one thing they are right about. Wash your hands frequently, and keep them out of your mouth!

December 7, 2010 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
    • Taylor

Doctors offices are the worst. My ex had cancer as a child and while in treatment (chemo so his immune system was very weak) he managed to pick up a rare case of spinal tuberculosis. The result – the cancer was thankfully gone but he had to have part of his spine removed. At least he lived though. Anywho I will not be getting a flu shot, I'll just try to stay as healthy as possible!

December 7, 2010 at 09:36 | Report abuse |
  46. Lioness

They is definitely a personal choice. We should not be criticizing those who choose not to get the vaccine, nor should we call those who choose to get it "sheep." Thank you.

December 7, 2010 at 09:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

I'll criticize them if I choose. They are putting the health of others at risk-those who are unable to get the flu shot due to medical conditions. People who yap on about "chemicals" being "injected into the bloodstream" and "poisons" and the "huge profits" of the drug companies are ignorant yahoos. They don't know what they're talking about.

December 7, 2010 at 09:22 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

n, you are fighting a losing battle. Whether you get inactivated (dead) virus and it teaches your body to fight the real thing when it invades, or you just let your body deal with it when it invades on it's own without prepping with the vaccine, you cannot stop yourself from passing it on to babies and elderly people. No matter if your immune sysetm deals with it well or not very well, you can still be a carrier, still pass it on if the time is right. So your logic is flawed and you should stop calling people names simply because they don't agree with your illogical arguments.

December 8, 2010 at 20:38 | Report abuse |
  47. Dr. Gimme A. Break

FYI to all the patients from the Justin Urhead family.
    People you can NOT get the flu from the flu vaccine. What you are experiencing after the fact are flu SYMPTOMS. Symptoms are created by YOUR BODY, NOT the pathogen.

Symptoms are your bodies responses to what it deems unsafe invaders & way of protecting itself and getting rid of the infection. Which just means the vaccine IS INDEED working, as it gives your immune systems the opportunity to LEARN to DETECT & fight off the unhealthy invader, without actually exposing it to the LIVE & potentially deadly version of it. After the flu shot you experience your bodies natural REACTIONS & DEFENSE MECHANISMS to a potentially deadly infection, without actually having the infection.

Not to mention that double blind controlled studies have PROVEN that some symptoms or 'side effects' are often either exaggerated by or completely fabricated in the patient's head, as just as many, sometimes MORE people complain about &/or exaggerate the symptoms or 'side effects' when they received the PLACEBO plain old harmless saline solution than the ones that actually received the INACTIVE sample of the 'bug'. Mind over matter people. Duh! You never cease to Crack me up!

Just like when you give yourselves OTC cold or flu 'remedies'...your NOT nor is the 'medication' fighting or treating the infection it is merely altering & supressing how your body naturally REACTS to and kills off the invader. So when you take these products your actually SLOWING DOWN your body's ability to rid itself of the infection & prolonging recovery.

December 7, 2010 at 09:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vaccines4mydaughters

Of course people don't get the flu from the flu shot silly. That shot saved me from my Crystal Meth addiction.

December 7, 2010 at 12:43 | Report abuse |
  48. David Goldman

Only idiots take flu shots.

December 7, 2010 at 09:29 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marshall

They are not so much idiots as just very gullible and acting on misinformation.

December 7, 2010 at 09:43 | Report abuse |
  49. Marshall

The H1H1 is already mutating.This mutation is due to the large amounts of people being vaccinated.Because of this mutation the current flu vaccines will not protect you from the flu.But, they will lower your immunity long enough to allow you to get the flu or a number of other illnesses.All flu vaccines do contain * Egg proteins: including avian contaminant viruses
    * Gelatin: can cause allergic reactions and anaphylaxis are usually associated with sensitivity to egg or gelatin
    * Polysorbate 80 (Tween80™): can cause severe allergic reactions, including

anaphylaxis. Also associated with inferility in female mice.

* Formaldehyde: known carcinogen
    * Triton X100: a strong detergent
    * Sucrose: table sugar
    * Resin: known to cause allergic reactions
    * Gentamycin: an antibiotic
    * Thimerosal: mercury is still in multidose flu shot vials

December 7, 2010 at 09:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Now show everyone exactly what level of each of those elements are contained in a flu shot. Then show us that level is in any way harmful. Moron.

December 7, 2010 at 09:48 | Report abuse |
    • Marshall

Any level of thimerosal: mercury is considered toxic.You should do some research instead of just mindlessly insulting people.But,that just shows your intelligence level.Have fun on the monkey bars at recess.And I am sorry if that offends any of the other preschoolers.

December 7, 2010 at 10:04 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

Nonsense. Unless you can prove your assertions, you're just a nut job like the rest of the paranoiacs here.

December 7, 2010 at 10:45 | Report abuse |
  50. Joe Smoe

Ignore this fact and you deserve everything you get...

I find it unreal how so many people have the knowledge to tell others that they need to get the flu shot. Where did they get this knowledge? The media!

You clowns.

December 7, 2010 at 09:39 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marshall

Thanks for the link.That is an excellent article.

December 7, 2010 at 09:49 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

No, dear. People who get the shot have more confidence in their DOCTORS than they do in doofuses like you, who barely made it through your local community college.

December 7, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse |