Get a flu shot now, CDC says
December 6th, 2010

Get a flu shot now, CDC says

We’re halfway through the Hanukkah celebration; Christmas sales are in full swing and flu season is starting to pick up. So federal health officials are once again reminding everyone about the importance of getting vaccinated against the flu – part of National Influenza Vaccination Week.

This is the first flu season in which the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention  is recommending that most everyone older than 6 months of age get a flu vaccine.

A recent telephone survey conducted on behalf of the CDC suggests at least one in three Americans have already been vaccinated.  But that’s not enough, according to health officials.

“We don't want people to be complacent because disease activity has been low so far this year,” warns Dr. Anne Schuchat, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases. “Flu is coming.”

Health officials are encouraged by the numbers of people already vaccinated, many more can benefit from being protected, Schuchat said.

“[Vaccine] coverage was 10 percent higher among whites than among blacks or Hispanics,” Schuchat told reporters.  She also noted that one one child had reportedly died from the flu this season.

According to the latest CDC flu map, Georgia is the only state reporting “regional” flu activity and nine states and Puerto Rico are reporting the lesser “local” flu activity.  Most of the rest of the United States is dealing with sporadic cases of the flu and Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Vermont haven’t had any flu activity yet.

Flu activity today is much weaker compared with a year ago, when the then-new H1N1 virus was causing a lot of illness.  But health officials caution that we’re only two weeks away from the Christmas holidays, which means people will be traveling to see family and friends and they may not  only come bearing gifts but also flu virus.

So the message from the Department of Health and Human Services is – if you haven’t already done so, get a flu shot or nasal spray now – particularly because it takes about two weeks after getting the vaccine to gain full immunity to protect against getting sick from the flu.

1. d.barlow m.d.

to not my realname.... douglas barlow m.d. class of 1989 nyu medical school.. look me up.. feel fre to check my face book page.... if u want to see my evidence contact me anytime.. 561 488 4480..not a fraud..

December 7, 2010 at 09:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Yeah, and I'm Queen Elizabeth. I am on facebook. Look me up.

December 7, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

No, notmyrealname/notation, you're just trailer trash. Smart for someone living in a trailer with their mother and 25 cats, but trailer trash nonetheless.

December 8, 2010 at 16:54 | Report abuse |
  2. asthmamom

For those who debunk last year's influenza pandemic, take it from someone who did get the H1N1 flu. Two trips to the ER later, I am getting my flu shots every year as soon as I can. Last year, H1N1 hit the area I live in before the H1N1 vaccine was available. The only other time in my life I was in worse shape, I was being prepped for emergency gall bladder removal. Yes, the shot can give you the illness, because it is an attenuated virus, not a dead one, however, generally, it is a lighter case if you have any symptoms at all. Asthmatics make up roughly 1 in 8 Americans, but were 1 of every 3 hospitalizations for influenza last year. Chances are, first you know someone who the flu hits very hard, and you should help protect them as well as yourself. Give your shots!

December 7, 2010 at 09:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Marta

I find it funny how everyone is fighting about the flu shot.... People will do what they want. If they think it's for them who are we to judge. That's why we have opinions. I personally don't believe in getting the flu shot and it's my opinion. No judging here...

December 7, 2010 at 09:46 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. RodRoderick

The CDC should sell stock – what a joke. I wonder how much kick back they are getting from the companies that produce the vaccines...

December 7, 2010 at 09:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Joe Smoe

um you say.... "H1N1 hit the area I live in before the H1N1 vaccine was available" so how does getting the flu shot prevent the flu? Truth is your chances of getting the flu are about the same with or without.

December 7, 2010 at 09:47 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marshall

The chances are actually more with because the flu,including N1H1 has already mutated making the current vaccine ineffective.But,getting the flu shot will lower your immunity enough to allow you to get the flu when exposed.Keep your immunity strong naturally.Do not get the flu vaccine[poison]shot.

December 7, 2010 at 09:56 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

Marshall, that's complete and utter hogwash.

December 7, 2010 at 10:56 | Report abuse |
  6. d.barlow m.d.

to notmyrealname.... your corrections i have read for the most part were correct.. you do not get the flu from the vaccine.. minimal risk of side effects... but dr thomas jefferson.. who worked on developing the vaccine said that there is no evidence that the vaccine does anything for children under 2... what no cute sarcastic remark yet.. your dissappointing me...why don't u use your real name and stop hiding?

December 7, 2010 at 09:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Ahahhahhhaa! A "doctor"? Of what? Any real doc would know better than to confuse "your" and "you're". You're busted, dude.

December 7, 2010 at 10:44 | Report abuse |
  7. whatevs

Okay people. Just let all the fools who don't want to get vaccinated get sick and die off. Then we don't have to listen to them whine and preach their incessant conspiranoia. Survival of the fittest at its finest.

December 7, 2010 at 09:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Vaccines4mydaughters

Oh, it's survival for the sweet sumthins for certain. My daughters and I get vaccinated each and every year and we love it.

December 7, 2010 at 10:17 | Report abuse |
  8. Calvin

I skipped the flu shot one year...and was sorry for it. Got the flu, eventually started coughing up blood, wound up in the hospital with pnuemonia. Since then, I don't miss it. Thank you, I will listen to the experts instead of the dingbats who think they know it all because they are expert wanna be's and base everything on what they heard or think.

December 7, 2010 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Paul

There is some pretty hilarious stuff here. After reading many of these it only backs up my belief that most people are stupid and we NEED the government to step in and take control. You always hear the "we are all created equal" nonsense but you can clearly tell from the posts above we are certainly not created equal. Like sports cars and fine wine some are better than others.

December 7, 2010 at 09:57 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Marshall

You must work for the cdc or big pharma.And you are right,only I would not call them stupid,I would refer to them as misinformed by people like you.And yes the Government should step in to stop these companies from pushing there poison off on the American people and the rest of the world.

December 7, 2010 at 10:16 | Report abuse |
    • Paul

Marshall, you can add yourself to the group of uninformed I.E. stupid people of America. You should start a club where people of your ilk can come together and try out your scare tactics on others, oh wait, they you already have a club, it's called the Republican party. Cheers.

December 7, 2010 at 10:24 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

Hey, Marshall. It's "their", doofus.

December 7, 2010 at 10:55 | Report abuse |
  10. kaychan

Have gotten the flue shot twice in my life. Both times I got so sick that I had an asthma attack and ended up in the hospital on a ventilator for about two weeks. All the other years, I have been fine. Im at a major university with over 30,000 people, and I am fine. Every single one of my roommates was sick last year with it. I wasnt. They all got the shots and I didnt. I think thats more than enough motivation for me not to get the shot.

December 7, 2010 at 10:00 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Kathy

I used to have to get the flu shot at the hospital where I worked in medical records. There were 36 of us working in the department. Each year all but 2 got the flu after receiving the shot. (Same 2 never got it). So...I do NOT get the shot. I take my chances. Wipe down carts at the stores, stay away from people I know are sick and generally try to eat well.

December 7, 2010 at 10:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. UniteEarthSystems

It's not conspiracy theory, when people have been crippled by the flu shot, and doctors have verified it's a bad bad thing to get.

December 7, 2010 at 10:06 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lillian

The flu being "bad" does not mean the vaccine is safe.

December 7, 2010 at 11:54 | Report abuse |
  13. asthmamom

Joe Smoe, for your information, last year's first influenza shot did not contain the H1N1 viruses, but three other mutations. Without that shot, I potentially could have had the "flu" three more different times, because those three were going around as well. They were testing people to find out which influenza they had, even though the treatment was more or less the same. The CDC tries to predict what the top viruses for the upcoming year is and suggests that the immunizations be made for those. H1N1 came on too fast, and the CDC was playing catchup with that one for a few months.

And Whatevs, you may be singing the survival of the fittest song right now, but when it is your newborn baby under six months of age, who can't get the influenza vaccine, comes down with complications due to the flu, you will be singing a different tune. Are you going to let that same baby get the measles, chicken pox, and polio because you didn't believe in the vaccines? How about that whooping cough gong around in CA?

December 7, 2010 at 10:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. d.barlow m.d.

i am still waiting.. notmyrealname.... if u r considering the flu shot.. talk to your m.d......it is a choice.... just like freedom of speech.... just back it up w the facts....i would be more than happy to talk to any of you about this anytime...db

December 7, 2010 at 10:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Waiting for what? I already got my flu shot, as I do every year. The one year I did not get it, I was sick as a dog for 2 weeks. You're no doctor. If you were, you'd be at your office or working in a lab or treating patients at a clinic, not on some anonymous board, writing with ellipses. Get real.

December 7, 2010 at 10:42 | Report abuse |
  15. Vaccines4mydaughters

No vaccines are not poisonous, they just contain formaldehyde and mercury. Sounds so exciting.

December 7, 2010 at 10:14 | Report abuse | Reply

And? Do you eat fish?

December 7, 2010 at 10:42 | Report abuse |
    • Vaccines4mydaughters

Oh hon. Why yes, you must be psychic. Love fish. Love me some of that indeed. Why is it that you ask ?

December 7, 2010 at 12:38 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

Look it up. Maybe if you strain those 3 brain cells and ask your daughters, you can figure it out.

December 8, 2010 at 07:30 | Report abuse |
  16. JJ's Mom

I for one do not like getting shots, hey who does? However, I get the flu shot every year and even got the 10 yr pneumonia shot 4 yrs ago and have not had the flu or even a bad cold, in years, (I knock on wood as I say that lol) The shot itself felt like nothing more then a mesquito biting into me, it didn't hurt at injection time..... soooooooooooooo I say YES get the flu shot....

December 7, 2010 at 10:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. cykill45

All that I ask for is a list of ingredients...all ingredients. None of the "official websites" such as the CDC will not tell you whats ALL in it. We know that the multi-dose viles containes thimerisol, a derivative of mercury which is obviously toxic. And how about Squaline? The only place to see a list of supposed ingredients is on the "crackpot" websites. mmmm....

December 7, 2010 at 10:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

The "crackpot websites" are the ones telling you the vaccine is dangerous.

December 7, 2010 at 11:18 | Report abuse |
    • cykill45

So where is my list of ingredients? can you get me a list of ingredients?

December 7, 2010 at 11:23 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

If you can't find one, it's because you haven't looked.

December 7, 2010 at 11:26 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

All you have to do is google CDC vaccine ingredients and you can easily find out what is in all vaccines.

December 7, 2010 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
  18. Jrad

Clearly, this is The Government's attempt to insert microscopic nanobots into our bodies to read out minds.

December 7, 2010 at 10:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • UN Management

The government doesn't need to read the minds they program with garbage television everyday.

December 7, 2010 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
  19. Gina

Flu shots are BS. I've only had one in my life about 5 years ago and it made me sick as a dog. I haven't had flu since; maybe a sniffle here or there and that's about it.

December 7, 2010 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Vaccines4mydaughters

Hey, haven't gotten the swine flu at all, and neither have my daughters. My Aunt Trudy has never had a flu shot in her life, as well as never had the flu. Oh well...To each their own...Ya know what I mean ? I just aint messin with Mother nature. You never know what that diva's gonna throw atchya. Goodness. My daughters and I take pride as Americans that we are doing our country a great honor by respecting the men and women in white, as well as the Food & Drug Administration. And one last thing...Sometimes the shot can be quite soothing. My daughter Sandra loves it, and I will have to agree on that.

December 7, 2010 at 10:22 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Sam

The flu shot does NOT cause the flu! If u got sick after getting the shot, THE BUG WAS ALREADY IN UR SYSTEM B4 U GOT THE SHOT! It can take up to 2 wks to show symptoms of the flu! The shot has eggs in it, so if ur allergic to eggs, don't get it, but other than that there should b no reason why anyone should not get the shot! I get one every year & have NEVER had the flu! I get it for my children & they do fine & they're 1 & 2! If u care about the ppl around u, u will get the damn shot & quit making excuses! Just saying......

December 7, 2010 at 10:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. antiintruder

Geez, enough already about flu shots! Stop telling us to get it. We know about the flu shot and we will get it if we choose to. Get the heck out of my business!

December 7, 2010 at 10:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RastaLife

Bill Gates "the devil" Population Reduction also known as Eugenics..

December 7, 2010 at 12:00 | Report abuse |
  23. Vaccines4mydaughters

These vaccines are here to help us my children. There's nothing to fear. That formaldehyde and mercury won't kill you, it will only kill off remnants of the flu. My daughters and I love the tingling sensation. Hey, It's become a family tradition.

December 7, 2010 at 10:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. Vaccines4mydaughters

Today sounds like a great day for Mercury & formaldehyde to enter my bloodstream. These flu shots not only protect your immune system, but they get you a little high. Oh sh**, I need to keep my mouth shut. This stuff got me off crystal meth. Now The FDA are probably gonna ban me from getting my flu shot this year.

December 7, 2010 at 10:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. d.barlow m.d.

to vacc4mydaughters... thank god someone has a sense of humor out there....

December 7, 2010 at 10:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. Vaccines4mydaughters

Thank you Doctor. People should always talk to you before taking what they absorb online too serious. The biggest flu is misinformation. Never be afraid to chat with your doctor first folks.

December 7, 2010 at 10:44 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Already did. And already got my flu shot, thanks. I go to a real M. D., not some nut who believes vaccines are "injected into the blood stream." As for Dr. Fraud, the fact that 2-year-olds may not be protected by the vaccine: all the more reason the rest of us should get it, so that the youngest, oldest, sickest, and most vulnerable won't catch it from us. I wonder, Dr. Fraud, why don't you invent a vaccine for ignorance and misinformation?

December 7, 2010 at 10:49 | Report abuse |
    • Vaccines4mydaughters

Hon, The Doctor is listed above me. I am not a doctor. The misinformation you are speaking about has no attachment to me. If you read my comments, you would see that Im all for the treatment of an infected herd that must be treated most efficiently and effectively. The flu is nothing to mess around with, so I hope and pray to the FDA that you received your flu shot. It is here and it is free. There should be no excuses, if you really haven't gotten it. I am not god, so I am not going to judge if you've really received this treatment or not. But I must say, It is rather effective at fighting the flu,and my daughters including myself swear by it. We love it. One benefit aside from feeling great and knowing we are protected from the flu, is the very fact that the shot itself is pleasurable to some. In my case, i have felt intense euphoric sensations that triggered my body to say "Oh yeah Baba" ! So, I know what I'm talking about. It works. Try it today. If you have any further responses the Doctor above can help you.

December 7, 2010 at 12:33 | Report abuse |
  27. RastaLife

Guillain Barre Syndrome Good luck sheeple, Go out and get your devil juice

December 7, 2010 at 10:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Thanks, honey. I already got my "devil juice". I'm fine.

December 7, 2010 at 10:54 | Report abuse |
  28. RastaLife

Are you happy??????? Everyone gets sick, its a natural thing. Once you put a FOREIGN SUBSTANCE into your bloodstream your body then doesnt know what to do next time you get sick. Your basically messing with what god gave you...Its a shame sheeple are quick to call it a conspiracy when AWARE people dont get the MARK...

December 7, 2010 at 10:58 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Yeah, I'm happy. You are a goofball if you think that vaccines are injected into your bloodstream and you're crazy if you think your body "won't know what to do the next time you get sick." If you're so uneducated that you can't figure out how to write a simple sentence without screwing up, I don't have the time of day for your "advice", you nut. Go peddle your twaddle to people as dumb as you are.

December 7, 2010 at 11:01 | Report abuse |

December 7, 2010 at 11:33 | Report abuse |
  29. RastaLife

Aside from the dangerous ingredients many people already know about (like squalene or thimerosal), one of the key ingredients used in flu vaccines (including the vaccines being prepared for the swine flu pandemic) is the diseased flesh of African Green Monkeys. This is revealed in U.S. patent No. 5911998 – Method of producing a virus vaccine from an African green monkey kidney cell line.

December 7, 2010 at 11:02 | Report abuse | Reply

December 7, 2010 at 11:25 | Report abuse |
    • RastaLife

December 7, 2010 at 11:28 | Report abuse |
  30. NotForMe

Every time I get a flu shot, I get the flu.
    Every time I pass on it, I'm just fine.
    Thanks but no thanks.

December 7, 2010 at 11:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RastaLife

You know why, when you get the shot you get sick. BECAUSE IT HAS THE EFFFFIN LIVE FLU IN THE SHOT.... SHEEPLE NEED TO WAKE UP

December 7, 2010 at 11:06 | Report abuse |
  31. RastaLife

Its OK dont be scared, just watch your health in the next couple of weeks. All you sheeple are the same, make fun of people who are aware of what goes into these injections.

December 7, 2010 at 11:04 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Oh? Since I got the flu shot in September, you ganja-brain, I think I'm safe. Get a clue, dear. You aren't even close to being believable.

December 7, 2010 at 11:15 | Report abuse |
    • Vaccines4mydaughters

@notmyrealname, AY there lets not be knockin that sweet fine ganja. Aint nuthin wrong with the shot, then aint nuthin wrong with the ganja. Ya feel me cat !!!!?! Now up outta my face.

December 7, 2010 at 12:53 | Report abuse |
  32. RastaLife

People with high vitamin D levels almost never get sick from the flu, even without dangerous vaccine injections.
    If you really want to prevent the flu and save your own life, turn to nutrition, not an injection. That's what will save your life and keep you healthy. And don't become a zombie by getting injected with a vaccine shot.
    Support your immune system through nutrition instead, and you'll keep your brain alive and healthy.

December 7, 2010 at 11:11 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

A zombie, huh? Is THAT where they come from?? Wow. THanks ever so much. You are an idiot.

December 7, 2010 at 11:16 | Report abuse |
    • EPEP

Tell that to people who died from Smallpox! Nutrition is important, of course, but let's not downplay the role of vaccines in preventing disease.

December 7, 2010 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
    • Lillian

The smallpox vaccine actually killed many people. And even Jonas Salk admitted that the live polio vaccine probably caused more polio than it prevented.

December 8, 2010 at 01:40 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

Ahahhahhaha! OMG, Lillian, you are precious. You are citing a chiropractor? As an expert in vaccines? You really need to seek a vaccine for gullibility, dear.

December 11, 2010 at 09:44 | Report abuse |
  33. RastaLife

Why are sooooo scared of the truth.. Either your a scientist or doctor. Or do you work for wall-mart? YOUR BODY DOES NOT NEEDS POISON FOR THE FLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

December 7, 2010 at 11:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

It's "you're", Einstein. Next.

December 7, 2010 at 11:32 | Report abuse |
    • RastaLife

Hopefully you didnt poison your children, if you did god bless you

December 7, 2010 at 11:39 | Report abuse |
    • Vaccines4mydaughters

Dont be a knockin that ganja...No Name !

December 7, 2010 at 12:55 | Report abuse |
  34. RastaLife

Just trying to wake up sheeple from their trance

December 7, 2010 at 11:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Vaccines4mydaughters

When you feel that Mercury hit your veins, its like sweet home alabama honey. You aint felt like this b4 when tha fine sweet flu shot hits ya right.

December 7, 2010 at 12:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. d.barlow m.d.

to not myrealname...i have not seen any research that proves that the vaccine works... there is research on other vaccines... my problem is blanket recommendations that do not make sense.. as for calling me names..20 years of experience tells me that nobody has taken the time to listen to you.. sorry you are such an angry person.. people do get scared.. and alot of people are misinformed..calling people names just makes you look very small minded.. you obviously have a brain.. use it.. by the way that dr.quack to pal!

December 7, 2010 at 14:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Honey, nice try. See my note below. No matter how many times you type it, "alot" isn't a word. And any doc would know that. You're nothing but a troll.

December 8, 2010 at 07:27 | Report abuse |
  37. d.barlow m.d.

to not myrealname...i have not seen any research that proves that the vaccine works... there is research on other vaccines... my problem is blanket recommendations that do not make sense.. as for calling me names..20 years of experience tells me that nobody has taken the time to listen to you.. sorry you are such an angry person.. people do get scared.. and alot of people are misinformed..calling people names just makes you look very small minded.. you obviously have a brain.. use it.. by the way that's dr. quack to u pal!

December 7, 2010 at 15:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. d.barlow m.d.

by the way notmyrealname.. i am in my office..seeing patients...besides insulting people what do you do?

December 7, 2010 at 15:28 | Report abuse | Reply
    • EArkHog

Thank you for that ("....in my office seeing patients"). I haven't laughed so hard in a while. Whew. That felt good. Man, that WAS funny.

December 7, 2010 at 21:59 | Report abuse |
  39. me

-it's called a typo and yes even doctors make those we are human contrary to popular belief. I have more important things to do than to have to analy proof read every web post I make. You knew exactly what I meant unless you recently failed an apnea test and are completely braindead which would explain ALOT!

December 7, 2010 at 17:10 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Honey, "alot" isn't a word. Thanks for playing.

December 8, 2010 at 07:26 | Report abuse |
  40. cynical sam

I find people at their desk at work, sniffling, congested, and miserable, absolutely convince they have the flu. Too many people mistake common cold symptoms (or seasonal allergies) for "the flu". When you find yourself in bed, wondering how you're going to make it to the bathroom, don't have the strength to throw the blankets back, and wondering if you'll live to see tomorrow, then you've probably got the flu. If you're vertical, you probably have a cold. Once you've had a good, hard, "I think I'm gonna die" case of the flu, I think you'll find an appreciation for the value of the vaccine. And you won't have any trouble understanding how the flu kills so many thousands of people every year.

I have to hand it to notmyrealname for hanging in there. You obviously tried to keep your cool, logical and informative, and got frustrated by paranoiac/doofus crowd. I don't think you're can convince the quacks and the pseudo-pharmacists here
    that the sky is blue – because 'blue' is just a government plot to enslave us. But thanks, seriously, for trying.

December 7, 2010 at 18:18 | Report abuse | Reply
    • RastaLife

Quick Fix American SHEEPLE.... You neeeeeed your poison because your sick, ohhh poor baby...EAT A FRIGGIN ORANGE, Take some Vit D Lazy Lazy Lazy Dumb Dumb Dumb EUGENICS EUGENICS and alllll you sheeple buy it....

December 8, 2010 at 01:11 | Report abuse |
    • notmyrealname

Thanks, sam. I appreciate the kind words. I think it's quite telling that most of those who have posted comments that border on the ridiculous are obviously trolls or uneducated nitwits. If someone decides not to get a flu vaccination, fine. But don't come on here and post idiotic, unfounded, paranoid, stupid crap about your excuse for not doing so. Just shut up.

December 8, 2010 at 22:21 | Report abuse |
  41. Blake

The CDC's own statistics show a 700% increase in miscarriages among pregnant women who received the H1N1 vaccine last year. 178 reported cases, up form 7 in the 2 previous years. How do you sleep at night?

December 8, 2010 at 20:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

Where are you getting this? What I read is this: "In an average flu season, around 500,000 pregnant women get vaccinated. In that group, there will be miscarriages. Those miscarriages, even if you gave placebo vaccine, you gave nothing that would cause a miscarriage, you would expect more than 1,000 miscarriages in the one week following vaccination for those 500,000 women. So, if we see that after H1N1 vaccination, that doesn't imply that there's a problem with the vaccine. What we need to see is whether the rates that occur are higher than would occur if no vaccine had been given, and with that, only time will tell. I think the bottom line here is, we will look very, very carefully to see whether there's a problem with this vaccine in terms of safety. We don't anticipate that there will be. It's produced in the same way the flu vaccine is produced each year. It's a new strain, just as we put new strains into the flu vaccine each year, and flu vaccination has a long-term, very good safety record with literally hundreds of millions of doses having been given."

December 8, 2010 at 20:43 | Report abuse |
  42. notmyrealname

The only websites I see reporting the so-called "statistics" you're citing are nothing but anti-vax propaganda. How do YOU sleep at night?

December 8, 2010 at 20:46 | Report abuse | Reply