home
RSS
December 2nd, 2010

Why does my jaw hurt when I exercise?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. Today, it's Dr. Otis Brawley, chief medical officer at the American Cancer Society.

Question asked by Sara from Texas

When I'm exercising, I often get jaw pain. It feels like someone is pressing inward on the joint with their fingers very hard. I've been very careful to maintain a relaxed posture and avoid tensing while I exercise, but the pain still comes. The kind of exercise I'm doing is low impact on the elliptical machine. I've even stopped using the arm holds because I've been worried the back and forth motion was making me tense. I've looked online and found that this could be a sign of heart problems, but I'm only 23 with no family history. Should I be concerned?

Dear Sara:

I am glad you've asked this question, as pains in the chest, left arm and jaw are a very common concern among people beginning an exercise regimen. The bottom line is, anyone who is planning to begin working out should get clearance from a physician before starting. Even children getting into a school sport should get medical clearance. Most importantly, those who begin a regimen and have any unexpected pains and discomforts should stop the activity and seek evaluation from a physician. You should not restart the activity until the cause of the pain is determined and measures are planned to prevent it.

Angina, or pain from the heart muscle not getting enough oxygenated blood, can present as mild to severe chest pain, a pain or numbness running up the left arm, pain in the jaw or even as a headache. Angina is typical in patients with cardiovascular disease undergoing strenuous exertion. Strenuous activity increases the heart's need for oxygen. Partial obstruction in the coronary arteries leads to less than adequate flow of oxygenated blood to the heart. The discomfort usually decreases or goes away with rest. If the heart is deprived of blood long enough, some of the heart muscle will die. This is commonly called a myocardial infarction or a heart attack. Death of heart muscle can lead to heart rhythm problems and difficulty in the heart pumping blood. The latter is known as congestive heart failure.

The typical person with cardiovascular disease and angina is in his or her 50s or older. In younger people, discomfort of the chest, the left arm, and the jaw during exercise is more commonly due to non-heart problems. Physicians will assess the young individual with these symptoms for abnormalities of the heart valves and congenital malformations of the heart. These findings are rare. Even rarer is the young person with coronary artery blockages. Young people with coronary artery disease usually have a family and personal history of high serum cholesterol or serum triglyceride or have a history of radiation therapy to chest for another disease such as a cancer.

Patients under evaluation may get electrocardiograms, ultrasound studies of the heart or exercise stress tests. In an exercise stress test, the heart performance is evaluated during exertion with an electrocardiogram, and often with ultrasound and nuclear medicine - use of traceable material injected into the blood vessels to look for blockages.

Among young people, chest discomfort during exercise is commonly due to indigestion, acid reflux, or even muscular and skeletal pain in the rib cage. Pain in the jaw can be due to tensing of the jaw or malocclusion of teeth (a bad bite). Numbness and pain in the forearm are commonly due to carpal tunnel syndrome from gripping exercise machines.

Again I stress that one should not self-diagnose this discomfort. It should be evaluated by a health professional.

Ask our expert docs a question

Next entry »
  1. Lead Generation

At this time it appears like WordPress is the best blogging platform out there right now. (from what I've read) Is that what you're using on your blog?

April 13, 2018 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Buyer Leads

Thanks for a marvelous posting! I quite enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the foreseeable future. I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!

May 11, 2018 at 12:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. web basics

I hardly leave a response, but I looked through some responses here. I do have a couple of questions for you if it's okay. Could it be just me or do some of these remarks look like they are left by brain dead visitors? 😛 And, if you are posting on other online social sites, I'd like to follow anything fresh you have to post. Could you list of the complete urls of all your shared pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

View this post on Instagram 🌿 Branch out your website's branding and reach more audience with fully #responsivedesign 💻📲 . Ensure that your content is legible on all device types + sizes 🔍 . Make your media viewable on all screens 📸 . And allow your business to be 100% accessible 🔌 . I can help sites of all types, sizes, purposes and styles find their perfect fit 🌵🌿 . . . website pictured 🖥: browse more @ http://www.murrayrealtyasso.com . Contact me with your questions 📞 http://www.katekowalsky.com | phone + link in bio . . . . #websitedesign #webdesign #website #mobiledesign #responsivewebdesign #responsivewebsite #mobilefriendly #webdevelopment #webdesigner #webstagram #responsive #designing #webdev #webmarketing #branding #brandingstrategy #webstrategy #marketingdigital #marketingtips #customdesign #wordpress #ecommerce #portfolio #smallbusiness #corporate #allstyles #allsizes #businessadvice A post shared by K | K (@katekdesigns) on May 26, 2018 at 8:50am PDT

July 2, 2018 at 23:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. advertise franchise opportunities

I'm really loving the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any browser compatibility issues? A handful of my blog audience have complained about my blog not working correctly in Explorer but looks great in Chrome. Do you have any ideas to help fix this issue?

July 20, 2018 at 17:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Verified Leads

We absolutely love your blog and find many of your post's to be what precisely I'm looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content available for you? I wouldn't mind writing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome site!

July 24, 2018 at 12:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mobil SUV Keren Murah

Hi. Nice, interesting post, along with a little as is also. I learned something new today!

September 22, 2018 at 00:04 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. erectile dysfunction

Strange as that

February 17, 2019 at 07:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Apex Legends Tiers

The very next time I read a blog, Hopefully it won't disappoint me just as much as this one. After all, I know it was my choice to read, however I truly believed you would probably have something useful to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something you could fix if you weren't too busy seeking attention.

https://t.co/Poo02JOrTu#deadcells #deadcellsbuilds #brutality #tactics #parrydeadcells #handoftheking
    Tips to help you survive Dead Cells 1.1 edition, which I find much more punishing although much more balanced. pic.twitter.com/7FM0AIoqz1— cybertechnews (@cybertechnews3) March 19, 2019https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

May 2, 2019 at 16:57 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Solkalags

stay busy wood property https://vietxinhxinh.com/forum/members/978-keroroort.html listens mind notes defy teaches

August 29, 2019 at 10:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. PleliaNag

cecilia doctors grocery max consideration http://www.nrcii.ru/communication/forum/user/21431/ suicide jonas slowly

September 3, 2019 at 05:13 | Report abuse | Reply