home
RSS
Lack of vitamin D linked to whites' stroke death
November 14th, 2010

Lack of vitamin D linked to whites' stroke death

Vitamin D deficiency is associated with fatal strokes among white patients, but it's not tied to more stroke deaths among black people, researchers announced Sunday at the the American Heart Association's Scientific Sessions in Chicago, Illinois.

Scientists from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine professed surprise at their findings, which were based on health records of nearly 8,000 black and white adults.

Whites with low vitamin D levels had twice the risk of dying from a stroke compared with whites with higher vitamin D levels. But the researchers found no increased fatal stroke relationship among blacks with vitamin D deficiency, even though they found black people in the study had an overall 60 percent higher risk of dying from stroke compared with whites.

Previous research has found that black people are more likely to be deficient in vitamin D and to have higher risk of strokes than whites. The lead researcher stressed that further clinical trials are needed to determine whether treating vitamin D deficiency will help lower the risk of strokes among whites.

Other presentations Sunday included how drinking alcohol affects heart bypass patients and a look at the dramatic decrease in smoking over the last three decades.

Light to moderate alcohol consumption by men after coronary bypass surgery showed benefits compared with not drinking, but researchers say the findings did not apply to patients with two specific disorders: left ventricular dysfunction and heart failure.

Italian researchers from the University of Rome La Sapienze presented their study looking at how two to three alcoholic beverages per day– which is considered light to moderate alcohol consumption– affected men who had experienced coronary artery bypass surgery. Using a questionnaire to survey 1,021 men who had heart bypass surgery, researchers found being a light to moderate drinker was associated with 25 percent fewer heart attacks, strokes and deaths than non-drinkers.

Researchers revealed moderate to heavy drinking– about four drinks daily– was associated with significantly higher risk of death in men with left ventricular problems. The lead researcher noted that the study results need to be confirmed over a longer follow-up period using more patients and controlling for more factors.

A long-term look at the smoking habits of one metropolitan area –Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota - found that the proportion of adult smokers dropped dramatically during that past 30 years. Using data from the Minnesota Heart Survey, which includes 3,000 to 6,000 participants ages 25 to 74  in each of its six surveys, researchers revealed these smoking trends from 1980 to 2009:

The number of current smokers dropped by half in both men and women. The largest decreases were among adults with higher income and education; current smokers smoked less per day. Men dropped from almost 24 cigarettes to just over 13 cigarettes and women dropped from over 21 cigarettes to 10; the number of "ever-smokers" - those who had smoked at some point – dropped from 71.6 percent of American men to 44.4 percent and from 54.2 percent of American women to 39.6 percent; men who began smoking regularly were just under 18 years old, and women who started smoking regularly at just under age 18, which is a drop from age 19 over the 30-year study period. It's important to note that the study group did not include ages 18 to 24, or below age 18, a period in which smoking often begins.

The scientific meeting continues through Wednesday.

1. DP

Light skin + weak skin = recipe for extreme sun avoidance. Just a little thing I've noticed as both run in my family. It doesn't even have to start out as extremely light skin. The sun avoidance leads to that, but, if I had particularly dark skin, I probably wouldn't have started the cycle of avoiding the sun, then eventually not being able to go in the sun at all. Perhaps the low D and stroke risk could be related through the weak tissues.

November 14, 2010 at 16:49 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ghfdcgf

that's nonsense

November 14, 2010 at 19:15 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Define weak skin? Are you saying fragile skin? Or are you saying easily burned and won't tan?
      My father is pure Sicilian. He worked in construction outdoors. As a result, he tanned dark as a telephone pole.
      I inherited a fair amount of that, though I don't get QUITE as dark.
      My wife tans well too. But she DOES have fair skinned races in her make-up, such as French and German.
      As an oddity, both of our children are extremely fair skinned, they tan like paper in a fire, not at all, but burn.
      THEY avoid the sun, for obvious reasons.
      Fortunately, they also have a reasonably healthy diet and take nutritional supplements to protect them.
      As far as arterial strength being weaker due to lack of vitamin D, I doubt it. There is no evidence to support THAT.
      That said, for bones to be rebuilt, one needs two things. Calcium and vitamin D. Without vitamin D, the body is unable to use calcium to build bone.
      That COULD lead to a slightly higher level of calcium in the blood, where it could build deposits on arterial walls. That would both stiffen then AND narrow them. Many arteries are not totally blocked by only cholesterol, but also with calcium.
      I suspect there is going to be quite a bit of research on this, as there already have been some expressions of interest previously.
      It would take a bit of time to build a model of this as a disease process, then test to verify that model.

November 14, 2010 at 20:03 | Report abuse |
    • Wzrd1

Vitamin D has been shown to be correlated with the absence of extensive arterial calcification. [Circulation 1996].

November 14, 2010 at 20:04 | Report abuse |
    • Doug

Don't you have better things to do with your time ? Crazy , just crazy !

November 15, 2010 at 03:58 | Report abuse |
    • MedStudent

November 15, 2010 at 08:29 | Report abuse |
    • DP

@Wzrd1 – I was suggesting the tissue weakness as a possible root cause worth investigating, not as a result. For example, a collagen deficiency would make the consequences of sun exposure worse and might also change the mechanical properties of the arteries. Looking for a link here that would explain the different results based on skin type.

November 15, 2010 at 09:30 | Report abuse |
    • Darlene

Vit D3 is a very critical element. My D3 is an organic food based form. All of our nutritional products are whole food. 98% of nutrients on the market are USP..simply meaning isolated chemical nutrients. We are the only nutrition company that has a Nobel Prize in medicine. You body was meant to absorb food, not chemicals! That is why after taking most vitamins your urine turns bright yellow...that is your body rejecting the isolated chemicals. http://www.vivatoday.com

November 15, 2010 at 09:53 | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

It's all God's will. If He wants to take you out, He will. I encourage all my Jesus loving zealots to eat lots of sugars, fats, and avoid exercise and Vitamin D. Enjoy!

November 15, 2010 at 10:00 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

well – not really

November 25, 2010 at 23:41 | Report abuse |
  2. mdyer

Vitamin D also improves mood also, I believe. I think taking Vitamin D is good for everyone, especially those of us who live in the snow belt.

November 14, 2010 at 17:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Wzrd1

The government and medical gurus out there think the same thing. They even have a map that shows vitamin D deficiency compared to longitude.

November 14, 2010 at 19:45 | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I was surprised to read your comment. I have also noticed that Vit D improves my mood. If I don't take Vit. D in the winter I become depressed. The Vit D makes a big difference.

November 15, 2010 at 07:01 | Report abuse |
  3. patriot

right on, joe!

November 14, 2010 at 17:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. mdyer

When I saw the 10 inches of snow yesterday in my yard, I darn near had a stroke!

November 14, 2010 at 17:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jesus

I live in Los Angeles. Nobody here suffers from strokes, but we do have loads of "ride by" shooting victims and lung diseases (caused by smog).

November 15, 2010 at 10:03 | Report abuse |
  5. Rhonda

My recent blood work revealed I have very little Vit D in my system. My hair was falling out like chemo patients experience, My joints were swollen like those who suffer with RA, the fatigue caused me to fall asleep at the wheel twice; but I thank God no one was hurt. Lack of Vit D happened over a period of time for me....going to work in the dark and coming home from work after dark. I've been on 6000IU a day for 3 weeks and there is a marked difference. My doctor has me on this dose for 3 months and then new blood work. Why share this; hopefully, to help some other workaholic like me to see the light of day, or at least pop the vit D pills.

November 14, 2010 at 17:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ghfdcgf

HELP ME RHONDA, HELP HELP ME RHONDA, HELP ME RHONDA YEEEEEEAAAAAH

November 14, 2010 at 19:18 | Report abuse |
    • donb

MY CARDIOLOGIST TOLD ME THAT 5000 UNITS PER DAY IS THE MAXIMUM SAFETY AMOUNT. ANYTHING OVER THAT IS NOT CONSIDERED SAFE. RHONDA, RECHECK WITH YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU SHOULD LIMIT YOUR INTAKE TO 5000 UNITS. TO INCREASE MY VITAMIN READING, MY CARDIOLOGIST PRESCRIBED ONLY "5" PRESCRIPTION GELTAB UNITS OF 50,000 TO BE TAKEN ONLY FOR ONE WEEK. AND THEN REVERT TO TAKING 1000 GELTABS PER DAY. "NOT TABLETS". HE STATED, TABLETS ARE NOT ABSORBED AS READILY AS GELTABS. I WAS RETESTED, AND HE INCREASED MY INTAKE TO 2000 UNITS PER DAY AND HE WILL CHECK ME AGAIN IN 3 MONTHS.

November 14, 2010 at 19:45 | Report abuse |
    • katy

Rhonda and Donb – I also had an extremely low Vitamin D level and my doctor put me on an ultra high dose 10000IU for three weeks and then that dosage twice a week for three months when I go back for blood tests. Don – the reason I, and I assume Rhonda, are on such high doses is because my levels were so incredibly low. The safe maintenance does for a healthy person should not go above 5000IU but for those of us with low levels it is essential that we get that level to normal to avoid the complications and symptoms that Rhonda lists.

November 14, 2010 at 22:45 | Report abuse |
    • km

thanks, I have found the same thing

November 15, 2010 at 08:06 | Report abuse |
    • Midwesterner

I take more than 5000 iu of Vitamin D a day. My doctor runs blood tests once a year, and level of vitamin D is one of the things that is checked. At 5000 iu a day, my blood levels are still below the median...and there is some question as to whether the median is a good benchmark as medical thought is beginning to consider that most people are low in vitamin D given the change in our lifestyles over time. Nothing I've read...and i've read quite a bit, including literature my doctor has given me...research articles published in reputable journals...indicates that there should be a problem with my taking higher levels of Vitamin D. It does have an impact on mood as well as other aspects of health....I was absolutely amazed at the difference.

November 15, 2010 at 09:14 | Report abuse |
    • Jesus

Are you a human or a gerbil? Sounds like Vitamin D is the least of your issues. I work for the GOP national HQs. I come into work at 10 AM, take a 2 hour lunch, and leave at 3:30 PM. You need a new job. Perhaps you're being lazy about your job search?

November 15, 2010 at 10:07 | Report abuse |
    • Mark

what do drs know – i mean really

November 25, 2010 at 23:47 | Report abuse |
  6. Tom

The sun gets too much of a bad rap. Sensible sun exposure generates thousands of times more vitamin d than all the milk you can drink ot tablets you can safely take. What doesn't get utilized by sun exposure gets excreted, unlike vitamin d supplements, which can become toxic if you take too much. Vitamin d is protective against many cancers too. The trick is to not overdo it. A little exposure to keep the d stores high is good, not to mention the great mood it puts you in, imo.

November 14, 2010 at 17:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Paul MD

Tom, I agree that sun gets a bad rap, but sun exposure is not effective for everyone at increasing the blood levels of Vitamin D. In a study by Neil Binkley (University of Wisconsin) 51% of highly sun exposed young adults recruited from a surfing shop in Honalulu, HI were Vitamin D deficient. We don't understand why this is the case, but the safe way to ensure vitamin D sufficiency is to use oral supplements to achieve a serum level of ~60. While a serum level of 30 or above is required to prevent bone loss, a much higher level is likely to be required to ensure proper functioning of the immune system. I like to see my patients with a level of ~60ng/mL or higher. A recent study in a neurological journal published a study on MS patients who were supplemented with 10,000 IU/day of Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol) and no one displayed any symptoms of overdose, despite very high vitamin D levels. A safe place to start for adults is 2,000 to 5,000 IU/day of D3. Of note, supplementation and Vitamin D levels should be carefully monitored in people with difficulty with calcium metabolism, kidney disease, and a number of other disease, so you should discuss with your doctor whether it is safe to supplement. Just understand that many doctors in my experience (I have lectured to other MDs on this subject) are not that well informed about its medical benefits.

By the way, Vitamin D is fat soluble and is not excreted in the urine. Excess Vitamin D is stored in your body fat and released when needed. Excess Vitamin D produced in the skin is broken down by exposure to UV light, thus there is a limit as to the amount that can be produced at any one time in the skin. As mentioned above, this whole process is not very well understood...

November 14, 2010 at 19:51 | Report abuse |
    • Bill

Spoken like someone who's never had skin cancer....

November 14, 2010 at 20:58 | Report abuse |
  7. Claudia, Houston, Tx

There are so many inter-racial people until it's better to be safe than sorry, the genes don't care just because your skin isn't white.

November 14, 2010 at 17:41 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Quizzle

Good point! Also, vitamin D has other health benefits, and the research here noted that blacks are actually more likely to be deficient in vitamin D.

November 14, 2010 at 18:27 | Report abuse |
  8. George Wisegreek

Actually, vitamin D deficiency can be linked to many ailments and diseases. Please google 'Dr. Mercola' and check out his excellent articles on vitamin D. There is a lot of information there on studies that have been done regarding the benefits of vitamin D, especially the natural form derived from getting a few minutes of sun each day.

November 14, 2010 at 17:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ghfdcgf

Please! Mercola is a QUACK

November 14, 2010 at 19:19 | Report abuse |
    • sara

Dr. Mercola is NOT a quack. He is a licensed osteopath and has been helping people for quite some time. STOP calling any doctor that isn't an md a quack, its ludicrous. I am so tied of people thinking that taking a prescription is a cure for everything when in fact it is usually treating the symptom as opposed to finding a cause. When other non-md doctors try to talk about the cause of something they are labeled quacks. Good luck with your sick care, I will stick to my health care thank you.

November 16, 2010 at 15:58 | Report abuse |
  9. tjks1964@aol.com

show dad, maybe he should take some vitamins

November 14, 2010 at 18:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. SHAWN

I have a rare disease know as Hypo-para-thyroidism I do not make the PTH hormone which produces Vitamine D which helps me produce and be able to hold calcium . It is Idiopathic and I depend on Forteo ,Rocatrol ,Vitamin D and extra calcium of 2500 a day. If I reach too low of calcium ionized I end up in the hospital on IV getting all electrolys and calcium carbonate. When I a low in D and calcium I sleep hard ,mostly all day long and I am very very irritable and I have a very hard time coping with anything .

November 14, 2010 at 19:11 | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Dan

finally some good news for black people!

November 14, 2010 at 19:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  12. AesopsRetreat

Oh good grief, doesn't this just mean that Blacks have higher levers of Vitimin D, or maintain it better than whites? And it has absolutely nothing to do with strokes.

November 14, 2010 at 19:36 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Brian

AesopsRetreat, did you read the article? Or did you forget it as soon as you read it?

The article itself says that blacks have lower Vitamin D than whites on average and a higher risk of strokes on average. I quote from paragraph 4: "Previous research has found that black people are more likely to be deficient in vitamin D and to have higher risk of strokes than whites. "

November 15, 2010 at 02:19 | Report abuse |
  13. sarah

This is such a poorly written blog..."whites" and "blacks"??? Seriously, is this 1950?

November 14, 2010 at 20:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jon

Yeah! Whats up with that? Every medical study I see on CNN is comparing "whites & blacks". What about asians and latinos?
      Blacks are not even the biggest minority anymore but CNN still reports the news like it is still 1970 or something, and this is coming from a black guy.

November 14, 2010 at 22:00 | Report abuse |
    • almxx

You can't tell the difference between blacks and whites, unless blacks are called Negroes?

November 15, 2010 at 03:31 | Report abuse |
    • Midwesterner

It took a a while for medical research to start keying in on racial and gender differences. This article reports what the research apparently studied. To generalize results beyond the study groups is not appropriate.

November 15, 2010 at 09:20 | Report abuse |
  14. Jennifer

If you are going to take a D supplement, make sure it's a natural D3 and not D2. Vitamin D3 is better absorbed by the body than D2. If you need a natural D3, you can scroll down on the BioVeda products page to find one...

November 14, 2010 at 20:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Chris Menard

If the research used ONLY 30ng/ml as the level of sufficiency the results vastly understate the potential of vitamin D.

30 ng/ml does not acheive repletion in humans.

Look at the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Disease /Vitamin D for heaven's sake!!!!

This the biggest thing in cardiology in the last 50 years- easily!!!

November 14, 2010 at 20:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. Bob Rock

The same DNA-damaging, sunburn-causing UVB wavelengths that sunscreens are designed to block also do some good: They kick off the chemical and metabolic chain reaction that produces vitamin D. Research shows that many people have low vitamin D levels. There is a well-documented relationship between low vitamin D levels and poor bone health. Now links have been made to everything from multiple sclerosis to prostate cancer. “Linking” low vitamin D with these diseases doesn’t prove cause-and-effect, but it suggests that possibility. Getting some sun may also shake off the wintertime blues: Research suggests that light hitting your skin, not just your eyes, helps reverse seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Moreover, being outside gets us golfing, gardening, and engaging in other types of physical activity.

Nobody wants to get skin cancer, but we’ve gone from sun worship to sun dread. Dr. Stern and others say there is a middle way that includes using a sunscreen with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15 when you’re outside for an extended period and wearing a hat and shirt around midday. So when summer’s here, get outside and enjoy it!

November 14, 2010 at 20:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. Larry Curcio

And for how many years dod the medical community warn us not to take vitamin D? How about folic acid?

November 14, 2010 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
    • They don't want us HEALTHY!

They only did that because it affects their bottom line!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anytime something is 'not evaluated by the FDA' TAKE IT ! It means it is most likely natural and healthy. Of course check the quality of it by means of a naturopathic doctor.

November 15, 2010 at 18:20 | Report abuse |
  18. Margaret

Hey – before you start taking mega doses of vitamin D – pay attention to your dosing schedule. Vitamin D lasts only about 15 hours in your system. If you go for blood tests after fasting for 12 hours you will always have lower levels of vitamin D. Don't harm yourself with megadoses because you didn't get correct dosing info!!!!!!

November 14, 2010 at 21:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Angela

I started taking vitamin D about a year ago. I had a lot of aches and pains that I thought were just due to aging (age 49) but they improved a great deal within a week or so of staring Vitamin D.

November 14, 2010 at 21:59 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. stopbeinglazy

I don't take suppliments. I eat healthy homemade meals all the time that supply me all the nutrients my body needs and have no diseases or health conditions. and I am constantly doing outside activity so I don't need supplements and I am perfectly healthy. Stop getting into these health fads because they will end soon-as with everything it is bad if you have too much or too little of anything.

November 14, 2010 at 22:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Allforone777

I hate to burst your bubble 'stopbeinglazy', but making sure we all have much needed nutrients in our body is not a "fad". Outside activity and homemade meals will not ensure optimum health I'm afraid. More knowledge of how nutrition works within the body is the key. I have heard many people say how healthy they felt, how they were not on any medications, how they had never been sick a day in their life..on and on...until they got sick....it doesn't happen overnight, it takes years to become sick, without our even knowing it. So if I were you, I would look into what your body is lacking by way of supplements (do the various blood tests etc). and then decide how healthy you are. We can only harm ourselves by ignorance. Liked your last sentence though...the middle way is always the best.

November 14, 2010 at 23:36 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Wake up call-If most all your food has a bar code or a list of 50 ingredients, aka BK, McDonalds, frozen processed foods, and the like, then you might have some grounds to argue for taking vitamins. The body is more complex than we will ever comprehend, and we didn't evolve along with synthesized vitamins. Whole foods like fresh organic fruits and vegetables have complexity of nutrition our bodies know how to use. Disease vanishes when the body is cleansed with raw fruits and vegetables. I know. We want a fix – a drug, a vitamin supplement, or whatever – something to make us feel better or correct some problem now. And the truth is we are poisoning ourselves with crap food that acidifies our bodies and promotes cancer, heart disease, etc. Just do a search on alkaline foods. Do you think all our obese children just need to take the right vitamins? No – they have been expertly marketed to throughout their lives by the fast food industry. Our kids will live shorter lives than us. Being healthy is simple – eat mostly raw foods, exercise, get sensible sun exposure, and do some form of relaxation technique like meditation, yoga, visualization. I'm 47 and do all that stuff and am in top health physically and emotionally.

November 15, 2010 at 02:51 | Report abuse |
    • WOW

I hate to burst your bubble too but you can do ALL THOSE THINGS and still have a chronic ailment or deficiency. What about celiac disease? There are other auto immune diseases that PREVENT the body from absorbing nutrients no matter how many apples you shove down your esophagus. Thus the need for supplements.

November 15, 2010 at 18:10 | Report abuse |
  21. Andy

A, B, C, D, E. You need them.

– A

November 14, 2010 at 22:30 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. DA

Hmmm...residents of Seattle often lack Vitamin D during the winter months when the sun very rarely makes an appearance. This article makes me wonder whether there would be a disproportionate number of whites dying from strokes in Seattle relative to other American cities where Vitamin D deficiency is less common.

November 14, 2010 at 23:33 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Hottie

Most likely. Yet ANOTHER reason why I love my beautiful natural caramel tan!

November 15, 2010 at 18:08 | Report abuse |
  23. Kate

Haven't read all the comments, but did the study control for weight? Being overweight can exacerbate vitamin D deficiency.

November 15, 2010 at 00:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. cb

So... vitamin D is primarily obtained two ways. By eating fish oils, and by getting out in the sunshine, where exposure to sunlight causes the skin to produce vitamin D. Perhaps a sedentary lifestyle is actually what is linked with stroke, and this difference is only noted in white people. This would be pretty darn feasible, since dark skinned people must get much more sun exposure to get the same effects as lighter skinned people. Therefore, it seems likely that vitamin D deficiency acts as a proxy for lack of outdoor activity in life in white people, but not in darker skinned people as many more of them are likely to be deficient regardless of leading an active or sedentary lifestyle.

November 15, 2010 at 00:45 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. devinomar

Major brands always give out their popular brand samples (in a way to promote the products) best place on the internet is "123 Get Samples" find them & enjoy your samples

November 15, 2010 at 01:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. your wake-up call

Stop with the talk about taking too many vitamins. You can't take too many vitamins. No one has ever died from taking too many vitamins. Not one. Too much Vit A? Impossible. Too much Vit C? Impossible. Your body will just absorb what it needs and then pass the rest through and it'll actually detox you on the way out. The worst thing that can happen from taking too much Vit D is to be a little sleepy the next day. Big deal. If anything is causing low Vit D levels, it's probably from the rise in tick bites aka lyme disease. LD essentially acts to block the absorption of Vit D and low Vit D causes immune dysfunction and you end up with arthritis, thyroid disorders, Lupus, RA, MS, Alzheimer's, etc., and everyone's dying of Alzheimer's it seems lately, aren't they? And who the hell has never gotten a tick bite? Maybe that's why your knees hurt. And, I'm sure the way that people lather on sunscreen (which is full of heavy metals) doesn't help with malabsorption of Vit D too.

This article should of mentioned that Vit D was just recently discovered to be not only a vitamin, but a hormone too. Pretty cool stuff if you ask me.

November 15, 2010 at 01:42 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Han

Vitamin D is NOT a vitamin. It is a hormone. Has its own receptor. Engage the receptor, you have a lot of effects that are still being determined. A famous biochemist in Australia, one of the authorities in vitamin D receptor has been calling for caution, because of all the unknown functions of this hormone. One of his arguments is: majority of people in India score low levels of vitamin D, yet they receive plenty of sun. Why? because the organism might be lowering vit D physiologically or in adaptation to another problem. Supplementing with a hormone we really don't know much about may require reassessment of public health policies.

November 15, 2010 at 03:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. maxheadroom

The big secret is that we all need some sun exposure to really reap the benefits of vitamin D. But if one person get's skin cancer than they will sue any doctor that recommends sun. So the lawyers win again and the rest of us lose.

November 15, 2010 at 05:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Bob

But they will never check into the toxic effects of sunscreen till ???

November 15, 2010 at 08:18 | Report abuse |
  29. tmar

I object to be called WHITE.......how about euro-caucasian ? like my bro......................

November 15, 2010 at 06:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  30. Bob

Let's put a little more effort into R&D with natural supplements, like vitamins instead of spending Billions on poisonious drugs with nasty side-effects.. Lets put people first, profits second in our health care ..

November 15, 2010 at 08:17 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. www.isotonix-online.com

Check out the the best Vitamin D on the market! http://www.Isotonix-Online.com
    See the difference of Isotonix capable supplements compared to everything else. Feel the difference when you drink your vitamins!

November 15, 2010 at 08:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  32. Ann

What aboiut a tanning bed? I go to a tanning bed during the winter (summer too). 🙂

November 15, 2010 at 09:35 | Report abuse | Reply
  33. tjg

Interesting discussions. My breast cancer oncologist told me to take 1000 to 2000 units of Vit. D daily. No joke, I immediately felt better. Sort of like the difference between getting a good night's sleep, and getting a GREAT night's sleep. I'm sold.

November 15, 2010 at 10:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Big Pharma Wants Us Drugged

Did you know the FDA wants to make all supplements illegal and require a prescription? They are threatened by the fact that many Americans know the facts about Vitamin D deficiency as well as others being the cause of cancers, diabetes, and so on. Thanks to the Internet, we are now able to educate ourselves and choose a more natural approach. Look it up. It will be HORRIBLE if this happens!!! Why do you think the FDA never spends any money testing natural treatments and DEMANDS all vitamins carry the note that 'these statements have not been evaluated by the FDA' yet they will readily give us VIOXX and AVANDIA that kill MILLIONS!!?!!?!

November 15, 2010 at 18:05 | Report abuse |
  34. Tom

I heard that Vit. D is metabolized by the Liver–not our muscles–and if you intake too much Vit. D, it will store up and eventually affect liver functioning. Is this true??

November 15, 2010 at 10:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • iamnoone

Everything is metabolized by the liver & can cause liver damage when taken in excess.

November 30, 2010 at 09:54 | Report abuse |
  35. Karl Hungus

I developed Psoriasis almost 20 years ago along with joint swelling and pain. Was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and put on some nasty immune suppressing drugs. Not until 2 years ago when I moved out of state did my new doc screen me for Vitamin D. My levels were extremely low and probably had been for many years. Was put on 2000 IU/day and within 3 weeks, I felt so much better it was amazing. I always thought the fatigue and pain were from my "disease", when it really was from "deficiency". My condition is not completely cured, but I can tell that with time, it very well could be.

I am now quite convinced that the increase in cancers, cardiopulmonary disorders, autoimmune diseases etc are really just manifestations of either an allergic reaction to the additives placed in modern food or the lack of TRUE nutrients due to processing. There is no substitute for farm grown food that was allowed to roam free in the sun and not sprayed with or fed drugs and pesticides.

November 15, 2010 at 10:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  36. www.wonderlabs.com

We sell a 2000 IU Vitamin D3 300 Tablets for $10.99

November 15, 2010 at 10:21 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Informed Citizen

This well educated community knows why 300 tablets only cost 10.99. Tablets are not readily absorbed by the human body. However, the toilet sucks those babies down without a problem.

November 15, 2010 at 11:09 | Report abuse |
  37. Elizardbeth Crowin Big Dog Medical gossip spreader

*****************************************BREAKING NEWS********************************************
    *************************************************************************LACK OF SUNSHINE KILLS***********************************
    ***********MORE TO COME LATER******************************************************

November 15, 2010 at 13:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. KUDOS

For ONCE an article that shows whites are inferior in some way. Its about darn time!

November 15, 2010 at 17:55 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. tired of it all

I have been taking vitamin D 3 for several years and besides making me feel healthier, I realized that by taking it, after the 1st 6 months, I could play the harmonica............have never been able to play the harmonica or even had a desire to play it but now I can.............just saying.......

November 15, 2010 at 18:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  40. bob

this article sucks and is really confussing!

November 15, 2010 at 19:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Henry Lahore

No!, the researchers clearly stated that the data for blacks was not statistically significant. Their regression analysis lacked enough data after they eliminated those people with "stroke health factors (including diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol, body mass index, ...)", which many Blacks have. Also, the report mentions that blacks die of strokes 60% more frequently than whites. For more details on dark skins and vitamin D deficiency, see http://www.vitamindwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page_id=1064

November 16, 2010 at 06:03 | Report abuse | Reply
  42. RickSanchezPRR

I find this article and study to be RACIST for not including hispanics......

November 16, 2010 at 12:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  43. SullyDud O' Connor

I wonder what results I should be most concerned about...Where is a photographer when I need one!
    What am I?

November 16, 2010 at 12:27 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. C-Span Medical News Writer

Actually vitamin D acts more like a hormone than a vitamin. Without vitamin D calcium would never enter the blood stream and patients would soon become suffer from hypocalcemia which can be lead to arrhythmias and be dangerous.But the body has a great defense if the blood is low on calcium it takes it from the bones. Since vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin it can be stored in the body and become toxic though few cases have been reported.Doctors do prescribe high doses of vitamin d for short periods of time to patients who are have low levels.

I am not a doctor but a Senior Medical News Writer...I hope I helped.....C-Span.....where the real news is always on...

November 16, 2010 at 12:40 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. benefits of vitamin d3

On the topic of Vitamin D I've learned it plays an essential role in the body which is required for the absorption and maintenance of calcium. Having the right levels of calcium in the body enables the maintenance of the appropriate structure within the bones, teeth and proper functioning of the nervous system. This is the major reason why we require the appropriate levels of vitamin D in our body. Vitamin D belongs to a group of fat-soluble vitamins. This means you need to transport the fats.

December 24, 2010 at 21:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  46. m88

My develkoper is tryin to persuade me to move to .net from PHP.
    I have alwayhs disliked the idea because of the
    costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been usiing Movable-type
    on numerous websiites for about a year and amm nervous about switching too another platform.

I have heard fantastic things about blogengine.net. Is there
    a wayy I can transfer alll my wordpress content into it?
    Any kind of help would be really appreciated!

October 12, 2014 at 12:34 | Report abuse | Reply