home
RSS
Ready for a challenge? Just TRI it!
November 10th, 2010

Ready for a challenge? Just TRI it!

We're at the starting line of CNN's 2011 Fit Nation Challenge. That means we're looking for six CNN viewers to race in the 2011 New York City Triathlon with Dr. Sanjay Gupta. Are you interested?

Here are a few things to know: CNN is looking for people who need a little help getting fit, not people who have already raced a triathlon (or marathon, for that matter). If you're serious about getting healthy and changing your life, this is the challenge for you!

The six lucky viewers will be given everything they need to train for this race and their new, healthy lifestyle. The event is composed of a 1-mile swim, a 25-mile bike ride and a 10k run. All we ask in return is dedication, commitment, and regular contributions for our blog. If you fit the bill, send us a video .

Not sure if you're ready for this?

Hear from some of this year's "six-pack". This challenge changed their lives and it can change yours, too! So what are you waiting for? Just TRI it and soon you could be off and swimming, biking, and running with Dr. Gupta!

Meet the 2010 "Six-Pack"

Dean Hanan:
My wife and I were planning for the future by setting up a two-year plan and a five-year plan when I realized I couldn't go on the way I had been for the past decade. Health becoming less and less of an issue. Smoking and comfort eating becoming more and more of a crutch. Something had to give and I had to make a change.

Then something happened. The Livestrong site recommended following Dr. Sanjay Gupta on Twitter and I just clicked, followed and read the tweet. It said "want to train with me for the 2010 NYC Triathlon? Click here" and the rest was history. After being part of the CNN Fit Nation 2010 triathlon six-pack, I've been changed forever. Being a slave to cigarettes and unhealthy eating is over and I'm ready for my second 2011 NYC Triathlon. All I had to do was tell myself "why not me?" So, what are you waiting for? Why not you?

Rickey Williams:
When a change needs to take place there is always one big decision followed by countless tiny decisions each day. It has been three months since I successfully completed the CNN Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge. From the start of my training I knew that one day soon I would have to swim a mile, bike 40k and run 10k. As with most upstarts in my life I started strong. After a while I lost a little steam. In fact I remember waking up one morning for a swim thinking, "I do not want to do this today." My next thought was, "whether I do this swim today or not, I still have a one mile in the Hudson River to do.".I did the swim. The tiny decisions each day were to get my training in, eat well and get enough rest, but that ONE big decision was to make a short video to let it be known that I wanted to take the challenge. It has been one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Angie Brouhard:
My experience training for the NYC Triathlon was an incredible journey that has changed my life! I found that I could do more than I ever thought I could. I remember lying on the couch in July 2009 recovering from a chemotherapy treatment and wondering if I would ever feel like myself again. With the motivation of the triathlon, I ended up not just feeling like myself again, but I felt better than ever! When I crossed that finish line on July 18, 2010, I had completely conquered breast cancer. I was strong and healthy and physically fit! Since then, I have completed another triathlon and have continued to swim, bike and run. I am excited to be part of my town's new triathlon club. I plan on keeping up with the training and participating in more triathlons.

And through this experience, I have been able to talk to many women about the importance of being fit and healthy. I have been able to encourage women newly diagnosed with breast cancer. Cancer is never a good thing, but Romans 8:28 tells me that "in all things God works for the good of those who love him." I know that God worked my breast cancer for good because I loved and trusted him.

Meredith Clark:
My medal isn't just a reminder that I am a triathlete. It's a reminder of what I can do by taking daily steps toward a seemingly impossible goal.

When I sent in my video for CNN's Fit Nation Triathlon Challenge, my goal was to lose a few pounds during the training. And I did. Just a few. Like 5. Initially, the slight drop in scale numbers was disappointing, but that letdown was replaced with the adrenaline I felt every morning when I pulled myself out of the pool, in the evenings when I ran farther and faster than I ever thought possible, and on the weekends when I took flight on my bike. My concern about my weight took a back seat when I realized that in taking every step to train, I was taking steps to change my life, and all else would fall into place.

What I gained through this challenge was incredible endurance, and another dimension in understanding what my body is capable of. I have life-long friends with whom I share an uncommon (we swam in the Hudson River!) bond. The triathlon challenge was life-changing in ways I never could have imagined would take shape when I taped a 60-second video and sent it to CNN, and I encourage anyone who's looking to do what others deem impossible to simply give it a try.

Next entry »
  1. elle

is a person eligible to apply if they've never learned to swim? i would love to do this, but i can't swim-tho i'd love to learn how.

November 10, 2010 at 20:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  2. K.Bickers

Non-swimmers not alowed......youll shoot your eye out kid.

November 11, 2010 at 04:19 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Bill

Sharing your training with your friends is a great way to stay motivated. Check out our free online training logs at http://EnduranceJunkies.com, we have a large community of triathletes and amateur athletes from other sports like running. Our training logs can post your workouts to Facebook and Twitter as well. We would love to have you join us!

November 11, 2010 at 08:39 | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Nina

What is the deadline for submitting a video?

November 12, 2010 at 10:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. ElizardBETH Crowinn Senior Big DOG Medical Gossip Spreader

**************************************breaking news************************
    ******************************************************************TOP SWIMMER DROWNS............TRIATHLON KILLS PEOPLE

*****************************************************STAY TUNED********************************

November 12, 2010 at 16:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Kim Reistad

Preparing for your first triathlon is a great goal to set your sights on. It is inspiring to your family and friends, and everybody will notice the positive changes in you (more energy and excitement, usually!). If you're nervous about jumping in, bring a friend along for the journey. It will help you keep motivated and hold you and your friend "accountable" to the workouts.

Good luck and see you out there!

December 8, 2010 at 15:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Karalynn

I'm 17... eligible or no? :)

December 11, 2010 at 19:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Barry Noir

Weight loss is a problem and a business, but the one sure fire way to achieve dramatic weight loss while being able to eat normally is the introducti­on of a an non-infect­ious intestinal tape worm. The medical community is in total opposition to this, not sure why, but when practiced under competent medical supervisio­n it is quite safe. A tape worm will absorb all nutrients even those necessary for health so the individual will have to take supplement­s to compensate­. There is no pain and the tape worm will continue to grow and be expelled through normal bowel movements. An individual­, with a tape worm will always lose weight even though that person may be eating a lot. When that person has reached his or her desired weight, the tape worm is killed and expelled from the intestinal tract. Then that individual must then learn to eat right to maintain their new weight level and that unfortunat­ely is the toughest part.

December 16, 2010 at 11:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Tanya Maslach

Their is indeed power in a 'sixpack' or community of people striving towards a "reach" goal together. In fact, there is research evidence to show this. (“Smoking– and alcohol cessation programs and weight–loss interventions that provide peer support — that is, that modify the person’s social network — are more successful than those that do not. People are connected, and so their health is connected.” — Christakis NA, Fowler JH.N Engl J Med. 2007 Jul 26)

What I find interesting though, is the community of health care and fitness professionals who tout that a community is the SOLUTION or answer to a person's lack of fitness, and their ability to maintain a healthy, active lifestyle.

Like CNN, I believe this approach – a fun, engaging and empowering way to take on a new challenge – is a great way to introduce healthy living to those not already practicing it. However, when people join such a high-visibility group or network (i.e. The Biggest Loser, the CNN Tri Challenge) to accomplish a certain goal, the sponsors of such a program do a disservice to them. The more deep-seeded reasons for why people participate are missed – and in doing so, these sponsors miss out on the opportunity to engage and support an audience that has taken the 'leap' themselves, without TV cameras or the promise of short-lived fame, and initiate their healthy lifestyle journey with courage and grit, even if they know no one else will be watching.

This is not meant to downplay the importance of this "Challenge" or the drive and ambition of the participants interested.
    It is only to introduce a dialogue on how, and where, such worthwhile ventures like this Tri Challenge can be better served for longer term results with significantly more people.

Tanya Maslach
    CEO
    GOTRIbal.com

They (CNN, health care and fitness professionals) would do better to support networks/companies that

December 21, 2010 at 22:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Tammy

Free yourself from stretch marks, scars or wrinkles comfortably at home http://www.medicalcrystals.com

January 17, 2011 at 02:23 | Report abuse | Reply