home
RSS
Study: Girls take more chances during first sex
November 8th, 2010

Study: Girls take more chances during first sex

Even though teenage boys are known for their risky behavior, it’s girls who are more likely to engage in unprotected first sex, according to research presented Monday at an American Public Health Association meeting in Denver.

Nicole Weller, a doctoral student at Arizona State University, analyzed government data and found adolescent girls were 30 percent more likely than boys to have  sex without contraception during their first sexual encounter. Weller said that surprised her.

“It does because of the history of boys engaging in risky behavior across the spectrum and then seeing that females are having first unprotected sex is telling a different story,” Weller said. For example, teenage boys are more likely than girls to drink and smoke.

But Laura Lindberg, senior research associate at the Guttmacher Institute, said boys may still have a lot to do with it. She said teenage girls are less likely than boys to want to have sex when it happens for the first time and may not do as good a job advocating for birth control. Lindberg added that contraception at first sex is 80 percent condoms, meaning birth control largely depends on the boy.

In the research presented Monday, sexual education at school did not affect use of contraceptives during an adolescent’s first sexual encounter even though more than 80 percent of adolescents receive some type of sex ed, Weller said. Nor did it matter what type they received. Weller broke down sexual education into abstinence-only, birth control methods, and information about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).

The study looked at data from 5,012 boys and girls aged 11 to 19 from the National Survey on Family Growth who reported any sexual activity. The average age of first sex in that group was 16 for both boys and girls.

Studies have shown that the older a teen is before sex, the more likely they are to use birth control.

Weller plans to look at whether girls are more likely to engage in unprotected sex if they are in a relationship.

“The hypothesis is that relationship status will override sexual education. I love my boyfriend. I trust my boyfriend. I’m not worrying about getting an STD from him,” she said.

Her research also found African Americans were 40 percent more likely to engage in unprotected first sex than whites.

Weller’s presented her research as a poster at the conference, meaning it was not peer reviewed. The doctoral student said she expected to complete the research by the end of the year and submitted to peer reviewed journals early next year.

Weller conducted her work at Arizona State’s Interdisciplinary Research Center, which is funded by a grant from the National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities.

1. Guy

"Lindberg added that contraception at first sex is 80 percent condoms, meaning birth control largely depends on the boy. "
    lol because it's not a girl's responsibility to ensure that any penis she consents to enter her is covered up?

November 8, 2010 at 19:13 | Report abuse | Reply

It is yes, but it is the male version of birth control, so it is more his responsibility!

November 8, 2010 at 19:24 | Report abuse |

she is just as responsible.

November 8, 2010 at 20:33 | Report abuse |
    • N

X, and in my experience, women are just as irresponsible even when they are older at having unprotected sex when they're "in the moment." What's your point? That it's the guys fault that a girl (who gets sex ed) doesn't use a condom? Why teach her sex ed if we're unwilling to concede that a young girl can make a responsible choice?

November 8, 2010 at 21:28 | Report abuse |
    • ME

I agree with X that young girls might be lacking the confidence to insist on condoms, especially since girls are having sex at such young ages these days. They are vulnerable children and probably think they will lose their boyfriends if they resist sex or insist on condoms.

November 8, 2010 at 22:27 | Report abuse |
    • u r right x

x has got it to a tee!

November 8, 2010 at 22:28 | Report abuse |
    • JM

Sorry, X ... as a guy I do not agree. As hard as it was, I have actually declined to "shag" because I didn't have a condom available. Now I will agree that at 16 I probably wouldn't have turned down an offer for unprotected sex (fortunately, I always had protection) ... but even then that offer would have had to come from her; I simply could not imagine starting out in life having to provide for a child. At 16, I still had college in my future and then a career.

You've never met a guy who won't push not to use one? Sorry, you've been going after the wrong guys. No man PREFERS to use a condom but the risk of not using one is too great. Pregnancy, HIV, Hepatitis, Herpes ... things that will change your life forever just to temporarily satisfy the urge. If I don't know the person REALLY well, know they are STD free and are taking birth control then I'm wearing a condom.

November 8, 2010 at 22:52 | Report abuse |
    • sorry x

as a formerly promiscuous guy, now happily married, you do not describe my experience at all – i didn't know who the heck half the girls were that I slept with for the night – and I sure as hell wasn't going to trust them. condoms brought a lot of confidence for sacrificing just a little bit of sensation on my part. The girls on the other hand – I understand sex is a much more mental thing, and in order to orgasm, they're thinking, if this guy doesn't want to REALLY want to be inside them, then he really isn't THAT attracted to them. the trust isn't there, and I would imagine especially for young girls, neither is the intimacy, however immature they may understand it, and hard as it is for them to climax, that extra layer of both physical and mental separation makes sex with a condom seem clinical, cuz at least from what I've learned they think a lot about what sex means and not necessarily what it feels like. But serious, no matter how drunk you are, smart guys know to bag it up when you hag it up.

November 8, 2010 at 23:32 | Report abuse |
    • Rachel Waly

I don't get it., doesn't it take two to tango?

November 9, 2010 at 00:55 | Report abuse |
    • ikantraed

There is a point where as a society we begin to accept our own responsibility for things that happen... Like being more than just parents to our kids, but also friends too.. And making sure that they respect you as much as they must respect themselves. If a girl doesn't have the self-confidence to tell a guy to wear a condom – they shouldn't be having sex.. They could be a teen or an adult.. It wouldn't make any difference in that to me. If you aren't mature enough to be doing something that requires forethought – you shouldn't be involved in that. And another thing.. would someone please get the catholics more involved in this issue.. for goodness sakes.. If any religion could make a difference about STDS it would be them and their fear of the condom.. Forget about the stupid crap about UFO Mr Pope Man.. And just focus on condoms that would be really nice for a change... Thanks.

November 9, 2010 at 06:23 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

It's the guy's responsibility? I guess that's why the study says girls are taking more chances, meaning boys are the ones chosing safe sex, meaning girls are the ones chosing unprotected sex. The boy doesn't want to be a daddy, but the girls often can't wait to be a mommy. That being said, I'd say both partners share an equal responsibility.

November 9, 2010 at 07:33 | Report abuse |
    • Holly

Meaning that most girls probably aren't planning on having sex then. Anything other than a method like foam requires a girl visit a Dr. Condoms are so much easier to buy.

November 9, 2010 at 07:41 | Report abuse |
    • Mattski

Shagging for a whole 15 years. Now there's a wealth of experience.

November 9, 2010 at 07:44 | Report abuse |
    • Doug

It is absolutely as much a responsibility for the female as the male. I believe females can buy and carry condoms as well. As for the people trying to make the poor girl look like the victim. What happened to girls mature faster than boys. I guess it doens't apply here. Lets stop with the victim nonsense. It is equal responsibility. If a girl or a guy get's an STD or gets pregnant it is his or her own fault. PERIOD! What about some equality!

November 9, 2010 at 07:58 | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Condoms ARE easier to buy, and females can buy them too if carrying a male condom in their purse is more convenient for them than carrying a female condom. The attitude that safe sex is not your responsibility needs to go.

November 9, 2010 at 08:19 | Report abuse |
    • That's a a Feminist Generalization

X has it wrong. I've had several experiences where the girl has pushed for sex when I didn't have a condom. For example, my first girlfriend. I turned her down. For that matter, I've had much older women (40 year olds) do the same thing. Recently, I said to a girl that we should use a condom and went to get one to have her say "Are you sure we need to use one?"

Am I the only guy that's had this happen on multiple occasions? Pretty sure it happens quite a bit.

November 9, 2010 at 08:33 | Report abuse |
    • here's a concept...

how about this for an idea–if, as a young girl (or guy for that matter) you're too shy to use protection when engaging in sexual activity...maybe, just maybe, you're too young to be having sex. i know it seems far fetched and a little crazy but i'm just throwin that out there.

November 9, 2010 at 08:44 | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

That's why girls should carry condoms, too. I do!

November 9, 2010 at 09:01 | Report abuse |
    • crabman

2 way street- you want a play you might have to pay

November 9, 2010 at 09:40 | Report abuse |
    • Dan

@X,

You said:
      "I've been shagging for 15 years and I have never, ever come across a man who actually WANTS to use a condom. If there's any give on the girl's part, the guy will push to not use one"

I call BS:
      With whom are you sleeping? Low-life, low self-esteem, losers? Bottom line – smart guys wear rubbers. I'd still wear a condom if she told me she's on the pill AND carries 'Negative' STD/HIV test results, dated earlier that morning, in her back pocket.

November 9, 2010 at 09:46 | Report abuse |
    • DH

If a girl doesn't want to get pregnant or contract an STD, it is 100% HER responsibility to see to it that a condom is used. If a boy doesn't want the girl to get pregant and doesn't want an STD transmitted, it is 100% his responsibility to use a condom. Simple, really. This business of suggesting that risks that like should be either shared or defered to another party is ludicrous and irresponsible.

November 9, 2010 at 09:53 | Report abuse |
    • Nonsensical Study

The study results are nonsensical. It takes 2 to have sex – one male and one femaile. if you accept the date that 30% more girls have unprotected sex their first time, who are they having sex with – the same guy???? Think about it. If you accept the 30% then you must also accept the conclusion that the majority of girls having first time sex are doing so with boys that have already had sex with multiple partners - and I mean a LOT of partners That is the only way to explain the 30% disparity

November 9, 2010 at 09:56 | Report abuse |
    • not 100% Effective

I think more emphasis needs to be put on proper condom education. I always wore one (After my first) until I was in a serious, commited relationship. After that, the pill would suffice. The reason was twofold. I didn't want a child and I didn't want an STD. Unfortunately for me, I discovered after I was in my 30's that condoms aren't the be-all, save-all. Despite using condoms I managed to get Herpes, since condoms aren't 100% effective and even less effective against Herpes, since it is a skin disease and DOES NOT require exchange of bodily fluids. Had I not thought condoms were near 100% effective, then many of my weekend hook-ups / one nighters would not have even happened. I think people need to understand first and foremost that they should ALWAYS wrap it up, but they also need to know that doing so doesn't mean you are actually good-to-go. Don't let my ignorance be yours.

November 9, 2010 at 12:05 | Report abuse |
    • Em

That sentence struck a nerve with me as well. I don't believe it should be solely the boy's responsibility to purchase condoms and keep them on hand. I mean, you don't have to be a male to buy condoms from a store, that much is evident. I feel that if a women takes the initiative to purchase contraceptive, she will be more likely to use it, especially if the guy is trying to get out of using a condom because he "doesn't have one." That being said, I always carry a condom in my purse for emergencies. ;)

November 9, 2010 at 12:54 | Report abuse |
    • nzillms

The point is that with other forms (the pill, etc), the boy's consent to use is unnecessary and can be taken care of long before the sexual encounter.

November 9, 2010 at 14:04 | Report abuse |
    • Jeanette

Of course, the reality is that it's EVERYONE's responsibility to make sure they are protected from disease and unwanted pregnancy. Male or female, you should NEVER have unprotected sex with someone you wouldn't want to get pregnant with, b/c there's always that possibility.

November 9, 2010 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
    • nzillms

Further, it's not a statement about who "should" or "should not" be responsible. It's an explanation of the numbers and why they are what they are. The pill requires no consent from the male, the condom does. Women don't tend to be on the pill at the time of first sex, partly because for those females experiencing first sex, the encounter is often unplanned and not desired. Therefore, because the consent of two partners (not just one) to wear a condom is required, there is less of a chance that protection will be used during first sex.

It's an explanation of numbers, not a comment on who "should" be responsible.

November 9, 2010 at 14:14 | Report abuse |
    • guest

Don't little girls have better things to do with their young minds and nubile bodies than have poor quality sex with pubecent boys–like skiing, wake boarding....something other than exchange bodily fluids?

November 9, 2010 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
    • X is wrong

Count me as a guy who thinks X is wrong. I always used condoms when I was young because there was no way I was going to ruin my entire future by knocking up some girl, just for some fun in high school. If your guys fight against using condoms, you're sleeping with creeps. Any responsible person uses birth control.

November 9, 2010 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
    • Paul Ronco

I think what X needs to do is start thinking about dating more responsible guys.

November 9, 2010 at 17:41 | Report abuse |
    • logicwins

Since condoms, by their very nature, require the male to be a willing participant, unlike the pill, or other forms of contraception usually controlled entirely by the female, then yes, males play a bigger role in decisions about their use. Girls should carry their own and not worry about being labeled a, "slut" for doing so. They should have them in case the boy doesn't bring one and they should insist that the boy can't play unless he wears it . But both should be equally prepared and responsible at all times.

November 10, 2010 at 12:04 | Report abuse |
    • Lovely

I know that the first time for me and for a lot of my friends we used protection but it was in the form of condoms. none of us were on birth controll (such as the pill). for the most part it's because we didnt expect to be having sex for the first time when we did. I feel like it is more the guy's responsibility to provide the condom or form of birth controll. If they realy want to have sex or plan on it. They should be prepared.

November 14, 2010 at 17:19 | Report abuse |
  2. Hannah

This picture grosses me out! This girl looks about 11 and she's holding that condom like it's a piece of candy. GAG! Really CNN, do we need to have the visual of this baby getting ready to have sex?

November 8, 2010 at 19:50 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dcv99

it's amazing you can tell the age of this girl by this photo...

November 8, 2010 at 20:38 | Report abuse |
    • pb

i thought the same thing. i know its just a stock photo, but really, CNN, that girl looks pre-pubescent. also, i'm no puritain, but i think she's dressed inappropriately, too.

November 8, 2010 at 20:57 | Report abuse |
    • flapjack

You can tell the age of a girl by a photo of the mid section??????

November 8, 2010 at 21:03 | Report abuse |
    • jj

who the cares.

November 8, 2010 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • SS

No way! That picture is totally hot.

When they said "risks" I didn't realize they would be talking about contraception.
      I was expecting a much more exciting article.

November 8, 2010 at 21:40 | Report abuse |
    • Stwebb

BUT she said she was 18!

November 8, 2010 at 22:02 | Report abuse |
    • Alyssa

Yeah the picture disgusted me because the way she is dressed and the condom combined suggest that the picture itself is supposed to be provocative since the article about sex. Shame on CNN for giving pedophiles something to look at. I'm tired of people exploiting young girls... even if she's not in a playboy pose it's still inappropriate.

November 8, 2010 at 23:13 | Report abuse |
    • shutuppeople

instead of teaching kids the values of their bodies. Sex is steady being promoted, by saying do it, just wrap it up....

November 8, 2010 at 23:51 | Report abuse |
    • big kabob

experience knows that many 19 and 20 year old girls can pass for 13 when dipped in the right fixin's. at 24 years old, a size 2 is a size 2 and can get away with playing with a man's mind exceptionally well. you cannot tell anything about age by that picture; unless you factor in that kids are also getting much chubbier at a young age.

November 9, 2010 at 00:04 | Report abuse |
    • jim

you guys are lame who have a problem with this picture... sorry to break it to you, but 14 yr olds do have sex!

November 9, 2010 at 00:05 | Report abuse |
    • ram124

You got to be kidding me. 11! I pretty sure that she is 12. can't be 11.

November 9, 2010 at 01:47 | Report abuse |
    • ch

Life is sad being ugly, isn't it?

November 9, 2010 at 04:48 | Report abuse |
    • Anya

I completely agree. I think the picture is suggestive and inappropriate. CNN is not Rolling Stone.

November 9, 2010 at 09:24 | Report abuse |
    • Ha

Too funny! The point of the story is that your baby girls (avg of 16 means some younger, some older, dare I assume some as young as 11) ARE having sex and they seem not to be the shot callers when it comes to condoms. You want to bury your head in the sand and imagine that’s not so, fine, but it would be much more beneficial to educate these young girls, yet accepted reality and let them know it is OK to carry a condom. It would be much better than them getting in trouble for stealing a pregnancy test, being pregnant or ask on social networks what the bumps down below might be because they are afraid to talk to you about things.
      Can I please introduce you to my friend Reality? He doesn’t always say want you want to hear but he will speak the truth.

November 9, 2010 at 09:31 | Report abuse |
    • MtF Political Junkie

Canadian age of consent: 16
      Washington state age of consent: 16
      Japanese age of consent: 13

That does not look like an under aged girl. It's very hard to tell what her age is without seeing her whole body. Also, females engage in risker sexual behavior because they achieve puberty at a younger age than males (Thanks to the rising rates of obesity in Children.). The age of consent varies from each region. To say that only one age is correct without first taking into account culture, societal responsibilities, and income level is being authoritarian.

November 9, 2010 at 09:59 | Report abuse |
    • Hannah

I guess you're right and I can't tell her exact age but I think the picture was taken to give readers the idea that this young gal is underage and it does kind of look like it was taken for the benefit of pedophiles, LOL. I wasn't the most wholesome teenager either...but now that I have a three year old daughter, I have a whole new perspective! I just wish these kids could stay innocent longer but maybe that's naive...I wish I could have stayed innocent longer!

November 9, 2010 at 11:47 | Report abuse |
    • Look-Like-I'm-11

That girl does look young but i'm 17 have had sex and i do indeed look llike i'm 11

November 14, 2010 at 17:26 | Report abuse |
  3. Guy

No, it's not. It's both birth control and protection against STDs for both the man and the woman. It is the responsibility of both. If the man refuses to wear a condom, then he doesn't get sex. It's as simple as that.

November 8, 2010 at 19:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Girl

"She said teenage girls are less likely than boys to want to have sex when it happens..." So what do you think that means?

November 8, 2010 at 21:22 | Report abuse |
    • N

It sounds like the girl still made the choice to have unprotected sex. When she didn't have to have unprotected sex. I'm not sure what you're point is, aside from demonizing men and suggesting that women can't make their own choices.

November 8, 2010 at 21:30 | Report abuse |
    • boy

@ girl, it simply means that boys are more likely than girls to want to have sex when it happens.

November 9, 2010 at 09:31 | Report abuse |
  4. J

Women greatly underestimate the males desire to wear protection. This has been proven, mystery solved.

November 8, 2010 at 20:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • N

X

A.) Child support laws in this country vastly favor women. A woman in many states can simply "name" a man and if he doesn't respond within a specified time period, usually a month (even due to a mailing error), she can summarily have him pay child support.

B.) Men aren't morons. Stop sleeping with the the small proportion that are. You're just encouraging them to continue being morons by having sex with them.

November 8, 2010 at 21:33 | Report abuse |
    • ME

I have yet to meet any man that begged to use condoms.

November 8, 2010 at 22:28 | Report abuse |
    • JM

ME and X ... I don't know your taste in guys but something is wrong there. Men do not PREFER to wear condoms ... that is absolutely true ... but that doesn't mean that all of us are stupid enough not to wear one. As I posted previously ... pregnancy, HIV, Hepatitis, Herpes ... if this isn't enough motivation to wear a condom then I don't know what it is.

November 8, 2010 at 23:12 | Report abuse |
    • WHO

X and ME...are you going to sit here and complain about men all night...try looking for a smart guy and quit the one night stands and you might find someone willing to wear a condom because they dont want the diseases you could of caught from any other guy that lacked that common sense

November 9, 2010 at 00:01 | Report abuse |
    • No x

"Men are f-ing morons." This comment is enough to tell me that no intelligent, self-respecting man would want to have anything to do with X. X is nothing more than a misandrist sow. As a result, good men run away immediately, leaving X with the small number of losers and jerks.

November 9, 2010 at 07:49 | Report abuse |
    • Y

@ X..the truth is...young girls would prefer it unwrapped because gloves are too slippery to scratch and satisfy the itch.

November 9, 2010 at 09:50 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

No one prefers to wear a condom. I hate them more than men personally. But you are right about most males being more willing than most are giving credit for. You are also right that one person is 100% responsible for oneself. Females should be more assertive, but this does not lessen or excuse their responsibility.

November 9, 2010 at 12:58 | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff

Maybe one day we'll reach equality when men have the same choices as women when it comes to their reproductive rights.

November 8, 2010 at 20:32 | Report abuse | Reply
    • SS

Hate to point this out, but men and women have different parts.
      Men will (generally speaking) never become pregnant therefore will not face the same choices.

or as Pepe Le Pew said:
      There are differences between man and woman...
      VIVE LE DIFFERENCE!

November 8, 2010 at 21:46 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

Jeff is right that mens' reproductive rights are not the same as a woman. It makes me want to throw up when I hear about these opportunistic women who get pregnant on purpose. They will go as far as to poke holes in condoms on purpose and such to trap a man. What rights does a man have then? None really.

And none at all in a situation of unplanned pregnancy when the female wants to abort a child that a man is willing to raise alone. There is an inequality in our society toward male reproductive rights and it can't be denied.

The child support and custody laws however are written in a "woman's favor" so to speak because of proven actions of men. (MOST) Women tend to be more willing and capable of the actual daily care of a child. Men refuse to pay child support most of the time, hence the stringent rules for payment and enforcement. I do believe there are some men willing and perfectly capable of raising children as a single parent, and it frankly should be allowed more often in specific situations. But it is a rarity with good reason.

November 9, 2010 at 13:09 | Report abuse |
  6. kelly

ok so just give all teenagers condoms to carry with them at all times. problem solved.

November 8, 2010 at 20:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Moose

Let the girls party! Taking chances works for me!

November 8, 2010 at 20:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • C. Smith

Try saying that when the itch starts.

November 9, 2010 at 08:49 | Report abuse |
  8. musings

As someone who, as a teenager (but of consensual age) who engaged in unprotected sex the first time, let me give you the benefit of my experience. It was not a planned event (by me) but most likely was by my older lover (age 24). He should have known better, and maybe he did. I don't think it was with malice. Why did I do it? Sheer curiosity. Plus a very bad sense of statistics. I could have gotten pregnant (though I did not). Why didn't he use a condom? Because his custom was to believe in the virtue of "holding back" – and we know that is not fool-proof. I wonder how many people around the world in the AIDS atmosphere we live in imagine that still works? I don't think my experience was unusual for the time. Today there is more open talk of condoms and such, but sometimes "spontaneity" takes over. I wish people understood that (unlike in the movies) this is rarely the start of a real relationship that amounts to anything.

November 8, 2010 at 20:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ME

My ex husband was 49 when I met him and he was still foolish enough to use withdrawal as a form of birth control. Oddly enough, so were his former female partners! His excuse was that people his age weren't educated about condoms and didn't have to worry about diseases. What an idiot! When I asked him if he was clueless about HIV, he honestly told me that you could tell by looking at someone if they had HIV or not. I think these kinds of attitudes are probably more common than we'd like to think.

November 8, 2010 at 22:31 | Report abuse |
    • you

@me. you mean to say that you still a 49-year old idiot and broke him-up when you realized that you're nothing less than him?

November 9, 2010 at 09:42 | Report abuse |
    • Maureen

@Musings: You are so right. If kids would learn that trying out sex before you choose "THE ONE" does not lead to anything wonderful at all!. Sex before marriage makes you "rot" inside. Maybe you don't agree with what I just said but I hope my daughter chooses to wait.

November 9, 2010 at 10:48 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

Ironically for me it was the older males I was with as a teen who drilled the importance of condoms into my head. It was them always preaching about the risks of STD's and pregnancy. They enforced that it only took one time to cost you your health or freedom, and the rest of your life. My first patner even made me learn how to put them on him to do so correctly, told me why it is worth spending the extra couple bucks to buy good ones. (Told me exactly why he insisted on Lambskins ONLY LMAO!!!) Not my parents, not school, educated males who were not afraid of their sexuality. I am grateful, I am lucky, and men deserve much more credit in this department.

November 9, 2010 at 13:25 | Report abuse |
  9. whiskers

Gee doesnt anyone wait til they are married anymore??Or the very least til they are a grown adult.Dont they realize how many different diseases and all there is these days. It really is worth the wait. Dont be in such a hurry to do it all.Having sex so young doesnt make you anyone special but I guess its scoring those brownie points. Another hole in the buckle.What a sad world we live in.

November 8, 2010 at 20:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • JLS639

If by "grown adult" you mean 18 with all the adult rights then, yes, most do wait, in fact. The last study I looked at (done back in 2000) had a simple majority of 17 year olds of both sexes claiming to be virgins.

November 8, 2010 at 22:13 | Report abuse |
    • steve

Whiskers At least we live in the real world not a fantasy that exists in your head. Abstinence works so well.

November 8, 2010 at 22:17 | Report abuse |
    • ME

JLS, that study is now seriously outdated. Recent studies have shown that children lose their virginity at significantly younger ages now.

November 8, 2010 at 22:33 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff S

I dont think as many "kids" as you appear to think are rushing out to have sex with just anyone. I never made it a goal to have sex before 17...it just happened. And I knew the risks and protected myself against as best as I could. Thank God I had parents that told me the risks instead just telling me to abstain. And let's not get to crazy here. The risks are the same no matter if your 16 or 36. Age doesn't change the risks. Age might give you more options to deal with the result like a car gives you more options than not having one, or a college degree gives you more options than not having one. But it doesn't increase the risks.

Why are the people in the US so uptight when it comes to sex?

November 8, 2010 at 22:50 | Report abuse |
    • C. Smith

Abstinence worked for my wife and I. It can work for you, too (if it's not too late). It just takes a little #*^@ discipline and self-control! I guess that's too much to ask from the rest of this generation, though.

November 9, 2010 at 08:55 | Report abuse |
    • kidswillbekids

Sure, some people will wait til they're married or "adults" but many wont. I'd rather see them educated and have condoms available than have unprotected sex and get the clap or another STD.

November 9, 2010 at 09:15 | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

I'm 34. I know it might seem weird, but I had sex with my boyfriend at 16 years old because... I loved him. I really did. And he loved me. It was young love... but it was a love that was as sincere as we were capable of at the time. I think that kids do it for various reasons, but in my case – and I suspect in a fraction of others – sometimes, two kids in love will do that. I don't regret it a bit.

November 9, 2010 at 14:43 | Report abuse |
  10. aeh

If only we could get young men to appreciate the spine-chilling fear caused by the announcement "hey, um... my period's late."

But still, it's been how many decades since the invention of the pill? And yet the people we least want to get pregnant are the least likely to be on it. That's some logic right there.

November 8, 2010 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ben

Just abort.

November 8, 2010 at 21:45 | Report abuse |
    • danster

YOU ARE SO RIGHT! And by right I mean involuntarily welfare seeking hardly educated teen moms who didn't have access to the contraceptive resources that their wealthy white peers did. I am a middle class white male teacher, and i know that the white kids go to the clinic and pay for their birth control while their lower class teen peers do not.

November 8, 2010 at 22:16 | Report abuse |
    • Sure

Yeah sure you are white, "I'll believe that when me Sh*# turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert", if anything minorities have way more going for them than whites, we pay they get for free!

November 9, 2010 at 11:55 | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

I never understood that myself. In college, I went to the local clinic for the pill and only had to pay $10 for it each month – money well-spent to ensure I didn't get pregnant. Birth control there is on a sliding scale dependent on income – really low-income families get a huge discount. I should think that would get them in the door.

November 9, 2010 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
    • Flora

As a poor minority who has lived in shelters and spent a lot of time around women/girls who got pregnant early and STILL rarely use protection, let me shed some light upon your conundrum – they don't give a d amn.

You see, poor minorities are generally realists to a fault. We know that the chances of our children becoming as successful as their wealthy, white peers are slim, so we tell them that they don't have a snowballs chance in Hell. Why give a d amn about ruining your life when you've never been told that you'll ever do anything worthwhile to begin with?

November 9, 2010 at 18:16 | Report abuse |
  11. Beware_of_God

Have we just given up on teaching our kids morals? Have we as a society simply surrendered totally to the promiscuity of the movie, TV, and advertising industries? Or maybe it is just that we have finally surrendered to nature and conceded that there is no controlling puberty.? And whatever happened to masturbation? Don't parents teach that to their kids anymore?

November 8, 2010 at 20:59 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff S

No....well some parents have, but I don't see why that's a concern of anyone other than the parents and children in that situation. I'm not here to tell someone how to live or how to raise their kids. They took on that responsibility when they decided to have or allowed themselves to have kids. I don't see how their decision is any concern of mine. Just concentrate on your kids and everything will be ok.

November 8, 2010 at 22:54 | Report abuse |
    • pw

I think it would be really creepy if my parents taught me how to masturbate. No....I figured that one out all on my own.

November 9, 2010 at 05:22 | Report abuse |
    • Anya

from: Beware_of_God: What about masterbation? Don't parents teach that to their kids anymore?

Uh yeah, back in the good 'ol days of the 1950s I'm sure parents were teaching masterbation left and right! You've read too many John Irving books. If you aren't going to contribute to the discussion then don't post.

November 9, 2010 at 09:36 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

You tell me what is so wrong with teaching morals AND educating a teen about condoms in case AND the safety in masturbation? Why would you sell your teen short and withold valuable information in this day and age? Especially when a condom can effectively save a life? It makes you more than immoral, it makes you a naive fool!

November 9, 2010 at 13:48 | Report abuse |
    • clynn1

I think it depends on the parents and the child. If I had even mentioned the word sex as a teenager, I would I have been severely punished.

With my children, we have discussed waiting until you are married. I am realistic though and have advised them if they choose not to wait, not to take chances. I would rather they make informed decisions regarding the risks of sex instead of me hiding my head in the sand.

November 9, 2010 at 13:59 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

clynn1.....exactly, we have a responsibility to inform our children rather than burying our head in the sand. To act otherwise is nonsense and parents should know better by now.

November 9, 2010 at 14:09 | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff

So for every girl having unprotected sex, there must be a boy, if in fact the study focused on heterosexual intercourse, that puts the use of contraceptive equal to the rate of unprotected sex for females. How do girls have more unprotected sex than boys? Are they discussing the use of condoms versus the pill?

November 8, 2010 at 21:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • N

Jeff, the same guy could be having sex with many different girls, while tons of men go without sex. Which happens a lot.

November 8, 2010 at 21:21 | Report abuse |
    • X

Good point, Jeff. They must be equal. For every bad girl, there is a bad boy.

November 8, 2010 at 21:33 | Report abuse |
    • N

Or one bad boy that does all the bad girls.

November 8, 2010 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Jeff you're right. For every boy there is a girl... even if there's one bad boy and all the rest abstain, the AVERAGE comes out equal. But as N points out, it is not a closed study... which also means you have to take the results with a grain of salt.

November 8, 2010 at 21:49 | Report abuse |
    • KDW

The article said girls were more likely to have unprotected sex for their first sexual encounter. Just because it is the girls first sexual encounter does not mean it was the boys.

November 8, 2010 at 22:04 | Report abuse |
    • Emily

When I was in high school, people started having sex around Junior year. I'd say that about 30-40% of the boys were having sex and about 20-30% of the girls were. The reason for the disproportionate percentages is that only certain girls were having sex and they were having sex with a lot of different guys. This has always explained why "on average" girls lose their virginity at a later age (one or two years later, on average) than men.

November 9, 2010 at 09:26 | Report abuse |
    • Soren

This study was about first sex, which means is not necessarily about virgins having sex with virgins. It is about a virgin having sex with someone else. If the virgin is a female it is less likely that contraceptives would be used than if the virgin is a male. Understand?

November 9, 2010 at 12:47 | Report abuse |
  13. Latinohaving sex

If boy or girl embarrassed talking about sex or contraception...then they shouldnt be having sex!,,, teach them to say no..how quick we are to blame each other for any failure...so easy to blame someone else for your mistakes. Take responsibility..if they are old or think they are old enough to have sex...let them support themselves

November 8, 2010 at 21:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • ME

I've actually heard otherwise intelligent adults argue that if they tell their children not to have sex, their children will be more likely to have sex. I think this is a ridiculous argument. Do they think their kids think so little of them? Do people think their kids are too stupid to make wise choices or listen to reason? When I was 12, someone explained to me the reasons I should wait for sex and I heartily agreed. As a kid, I had far more important things to do than have sex. I full believe that if a parent creates an open and respectful relationship with their kids and gives them rational, non-emotional reasons not to have sex as a child, that a smart child can be rational enough to listen.

November 8, 2010 at 22:38 | Report abuse |
  14. Tom

I'd like to see the sampling of this "study". If you make a few assumptions like the population is 50% men and 50% women, and that an equal proportion of men and women are gay, and that everyone starts out a virgin at some point... overall the proportion of first time sex contraceptive use should be equal. Write it out on paper and try to come up with a scenario where it isn't equal.

Similarly, for the "studies" showing average number of sexual partners between men and women... on average, they have to be equal, given the above assumptions. To demonstrate: on paper start with 100 men and 100 women (doesn't have to be 100, just equal numbers), and play with the number of encounters. You can include gay relationships as long as you assume the same percentage of gay men and gay women.

I welcome any of you to prove this wrong.

November 8, 2010 at 21:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tom

For the second paragraph above, I'm referencing those Cosmo or Maxim-type things they print saying "on average men have 12 sexual partners in their lifetime and women have 8" or whatever.

November 8, 2010 at 21:16 | Report abuse |
    • N

Tom, as much as you think you've debunked all of statistics, recognize that the sample isn't a closed set. That is, people within that group could be having sex with people outside the sample group.

That's why these average rates are somewhat idiotic when they try to make a claim on the whole population.

November 8, 2010 at 21:24 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

I'm not debunking all of statistics, I'm just saying that this "study" proves absolutely nothing.

November 8, 2010 at 21:33 | Report abuse |
    • N

The study doesn't prove absolutely nothing, it does make a claim that for certain large non closed sample sets girls are more likely to have unprotected sex than boys. That is in direct contradiction to most claims.

I think it's a fine study. It's just not population generalizable.

November 8, 2010 at 21:35 | Report abuse |
    • sara

I think that most girls lose their virginity to much older boys. Further, I think that it if you have 10 boys and 10 girls, that one boy could sleep with 10 girls while the other 9 boys abstain. Maybe some older boys target virgins. I have read that most teen pregnancies are the result of a man in his 20s having unprotected sex with a much younger girl.

November 8, 2010 at 21:37 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Okay so for 10 boys, where one boy has sex with all 10 girls, and the other 9 boys abstain, the population average for boys is 1 sexual partner, and the average for girls is 1 sexual partner. Equal.

November 8, 2010 at 21:39 | Report abuse |
    • N

And sara hits the nail on the head almost directly. Those 20 year old men aren't likely included in this "teenage" population. And most guys, aside from the lucky few, aren't having tons of sex. Whereas many girls have the option to be (and do so).

November 8, 2010 at 21:41 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Sara – I agree with your second point, and I can see how older men like that targeting many younger women can make the results shift in that direction. However, that would also indicate that most young girls lose their virginity to an experienced partner, and then switch to a less experienced boy who is more likely to use a condom... which contradicts the "average age of 16 for both men and women" that is part of this study.

November 8, 2010 at 21:45 | Report abuse |
    • musings

Sara, I think you have nailed it. It's much older guys going after naive girls. Though you'd think they'd be worried enough about pregnancy to make sure they used a condom. Maybe that's part of the "con job" – they want their well-planned exploit to appear spontaneous so the girl will think she is the object of passion and maybe love. And some of these guys are experts at their game.

November 8, 2010 at 22:08 | Report abuse |
    • Emily

Tom, you don't seem to understand the statistics.. Like I posted above, when I was in high school, people started having sex around Junior year. I'd say that about 40% of the boys were having sex and about 25-30% of the girls were. The reason for the disproportionate percentages is that only certain girls were having sex and they were having sex with a lot of different guys. Approximately 40% of the guys were having sex with 25-30% of the girls. The girls who were having sex were considered "slutty" because even though a lot of guys were having sex, the majority of the girls WERE NOT having sex. This has always explained why "on average" girls lose their virginity at a later age (one or two years later, on average) than men.

November 9, 2010 at 09:35 | Report abuse |
  15. seymourbuttes

First of all. If a girl doesn't want to get pregnant, she should be the one to take steps in order to prevent such a thing. And second of all, does nobody realize the writer of this article is a retard, and honestly doesn't know proper grammar? First sex? You mean, first sexual encounter? Is it grammatically correct to say, "I wanna sex you." Or, "I just had my first sex!" It's irresponsible of CNN to even post a link to this article... Damn, the world these days...

November 8, 2010 at 21:16 | Report abuse | Reply
    • blue

Borat probably had a hand in writing this.

November 8, 2010 at 21:41 | Report abuse |
    • blxbrg

"Age at first sex" is the common name given to the variable in several data sets, including the National Survey on Family Growth and the Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance Survey. They use the term "first sex" because it's easier to say multiple times and still conveys the meaning. This is common practice in the American Journal of Public Health (and in many other academic journals).

November 9, 2010 at 08:45 | Report abuse |
  16. braun mellus

PULL OUT AND PREY!

November 8, 2010 at 21:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • notmyrealname

I PRAY you won't have any sex at all, much less any that's unprotected, you moron.

November 8, 2010 at 21:25 | Report abuse |
  17. brett

WHY DOES EVERYONE HAVE TO SLEEP AROUND ALL THE TIME? FIND SOMEONE YOU LOVE AND STICK WITH THEM, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT PROTECTION.

November 8, 2010 at 21:23 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ben

Everyone who lives their life differently than me is wrong.

November 8, 2010 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
    • B=Dog

And when the person you love sleeps around?

November 8, 2010 at 21:46 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff S

Because sex is fun? Because its my life and I can live it how ever I chose as long as I am not depriving you from the same right? Because Variety is the spice of life? Because I want to celebrate how diverse the human species is? Because its fun to do when its cold out? Because its fun to do when its hot out? Because I'm addicted to endorphins? Because its completely natural? Because I want to do my part to ensure the species not only survives but has genetic diversity? Because its free entertainment? Because I can? Because I found someone who wants to do it with me?

November 8, 2010 at 23:00 | Report abuse |
    • -

While sex is certainly enjoyable, there are way too many promiscuous freaks out there.

November 8, 2010 at 23:11 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff S

Yeah. Because we are prewired with the urge to reproduce. And it being enjoyable helps ensure that we wont just blow it off for something else.

And who cares about the freaks. I think there are way too many conservatives in the US. I think there are way too many who dont understand how this country works. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying life.

November 8, 2010 at 23:19 | Report abuse |
    • C. Smith

Brett does have a point. If you're a virgin when you meet her, and she's a virgin when she meets you, and neither of you are getting frequent non-sterile injections of any kind, there aren't very many entry points for an STD and a child is an acceptable outcome. Of course, that requires that both you and she (or you and he) are capable of controlling yourselves.

Anything else means you're accepting that it's worth the risk.

November 9, 2010 at 09:03 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

AIDS does not care about love.

November 9, 2010 at 14:12 | Report abuse |
  18. jj

shes fkng HOT

November 8, 2010 at 21:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Herve Menes

Sex is a gift From God. Abstinence is what we should teach our teenage boys and girls. We need to value sex as a gift. The best way to do it is to have sex with the person your are married with and precisely on the wedding bed. That way, you show respect to yourself, you won't feel guilty and you honor God.

November 8, 2010 at 21:40 | Report abuse | Reply
    • blue

Yes, because a generation that is increasingly non-religious will totally buy the religious argument...

November 8, 2010 at 21:43 | Report abuse |
    • Tom

Sex organs are gifts from God. If we don't use them, he'll think we don't appreciate them.

November 8, 2010 at 21:51 | Report abuse |
    • SS

I would like to start an organization to teach teens about this gift from God.

November 8, 2010 at 21:56 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff S

I dont feel any shame in it and I would argue that woman are the gift from God. And I tend to believe that the best way to have sex is how ever you and your partner agree to have sex and it doesn't always include beds.

Besides are you trying to say that animals that do not practice monogamy are going to burn in hell? If sex is a gift from God surely he gave all animals the same gift and expects the same from them?

November 8, 2010 at 23:04 | Report abuse |
    • XX

Why do religious people assume that everybody believes the same thing and believes in god? I worked with a woman once who honestly did not know that there were people who don't believe in god. She was in her early 40s and had 4 kids (not all the same dad and she wasn't married) and 2 grandkids with a 3rd on the way (none of her daughters are married either). Religious explanations of sex don't even work on religious people...they are still going to do it and most likely be a lot less educated about sex and not use protection. Non-religious people tend to be more educated and have more common sense than religious people (not always, but usually).

November 9, 2010 at 10:02 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

Herve Menes I am going to do you a favor and buy your kid a large box of rubbers, just in case.

November 9, 2010 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
  20. wann2know

As long as this society tolerates the expression of sex in images, movies, graphics, apparel, and practically anywhere, then we should expect sexually active youth. The urge is programmed into our primative brain. Our higher brain knows, or will eventually figure out, the suffering that will occur from sexual encounters without love and a long term commitment.

November 8, 2010 at 21:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jeff S

I'm pretty sure your brain already knows about the urge to procreate from a young age. Images, videos and movies are not the problem. The problem is our bodies are built with the instinct to reproduce just like any other animal. Does media stimulate that? Yes. Just like seeing art can stimulate the urge to create something. But the problem isn't the media. Those images, videos, and movies stimulate the same urges in adults. Its not exclusive to kids. The only difference is adults have had years of learning to control those urges, not be controlled by them.

The problem is parents not teaching their kids about society, about right and wrong, about respecting their fellow man and the world around them, so all they are left with is the instinctual urges. The parents stopped being parents in order to take the more passive route of being their kids best friend. Dont try to pass the responsibility of this from parents to someone else. Its time we stop trying to pass the buck and put the blame where it belongs...on the parents.

November 8, 2010 at 23:15 | Report abuse |
    • wann2know

Parents, kids and basically all citizens of this society are mostly what they consume. If what they consume waters their seeds of happiness and contentment, that's nice. They probably won't be seeking happiness with a condom in an ally. If they consume sounds, images, words and actions that water their seeds of craving, greed, lust, then that's not so good, IMHO. Parents intention is important, but the vast of society is being brought up by the corporations that sell to your reptilian brain's programming. Most prominently, sex and violence/fear are what sells to this market place.

November 9, 2010 at 02:16 | Report abuse |
  21. adam

Parents these days aren't doing their jobs in teaching their kids morals and consequences pertaining to sexual activity. Liberals aren't helping either with their entitlement programs. Suuuure, have a couple of kids in high school, tax payers will take care of your mistakes. It's all good...

November 8, 2010 at 21:52 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alyssa

Not all people are like that. I left my exhusband when my daughter was 3 weeks old because he started beating on me. My daughter has medical through the state and I have food stamps to help while I'm in college for engineering so no those programs don't encourage people to have kids young. I don't know many pregnant people, young or older, that say woo-hoo now I can get state care or welfare.

November 8, 2010 at 23:25 | Report abuse |
    • Emily

You are truly ignorant if you are blaming liberals for the fact that kids are having unprotected sex. Nobody – not even liberals – wants teens to get pregnant and have kids that have to be supported by taxpayer money, however we cannot just let these children starve to death. Liberals actually are concerned with people who need assistance. NOT providing food stamps for these children who are in need is IMMORAL and UNCHRISTIAN-like.

November 9, 2010 at 09:42 | Report abuse |
    • XX

yeah and liberals are the ones that don't want to teach sex ed to teens...oh wait, that's the conservatives. They seem to think that by telling them not to have sex and to wait, that they will. Guess what? That doesn't work. Take a look at Bristol Palin for proof there. It is too late for her to preach about abstinence only education. She should be the reason schools teach sex ed instead of the abstinence only crap. You can still teach about safe sex and promote abstinence. This way they are educated and make the right decisions about safe sex if they decide to have sex.

November 9, 2010 at 10:05 | Report abuse |
  22. B-Dog

My view on this is very black and white, anyone who has sex without protection is a moron.
    Anyone who believes someone when they say they are on the pill, or they can't get pregnant is a moron.
    If you don't use protection you deserve WHATEVER happens to you. For example those German dudes that got HIV from having unprotected sex with that hot German singer because she was to embarrassed to tell anyone she was HIV + . It's not HER fault, it's their fault because if a guy puts his thing ANYWHERE without protection he's a moron. I'm 33 and I've never had unprotected sex.... why? Cuz I don't want babies! and I sure as hell don't want an STD... I even had 1 girl break up with me after 2 years because I wouldn't stop using rubbers. Sorry but no chick is worth 18 years worth of child support payments or some STD.

November 8, 2010 at 21:54 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Stwebb

B-Dog for President 2012!!! Dude...you're brilliant!!! NO SARCASM INTENDED!!!

November 8, 2010 at 22:06 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

Vasectomy GO.

November 8, 2010 at 22:21 | Report abuse |
    • B-Dog

A vasectomy can protect against STD's?

November 8, 2010 at 22:32 | Report abuse |
    • Jeff S

B-Dog I would totally vote for you too.

Just say no to babies...and STDs.

November 8, 2010 at 23:06 | Report abuse |
    • Alyssa

Get a vasectomy... you don't sound like someone who should have kids anyways the way your post sounds.

November 8, 2010 at 23:27 | Report abuse |
    • B-Dog

Alyssa, thank you for that very logical argument.

November 9, 2010 at 00:15 | Report abuse |
    • T

Alyssa, we all wish you would have had your tubes tied so we wouldn't be footing the bill for your baby (and probably your college, too).

November 9, 2010 at 10:19 | Report abuse |
  23. Stwebb

And it's 21 years in CA. This idiot dripped in that idiot!

November 8, 2010 at 22:08 | Report abuse | Reply
  24. RUFFNUTT

just use the 'dumptruck' method..

a good dump truck backs up to dump it's load.

November 8, 2010 at 22:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Suzanne

Poetic.

November 9, 2010 at 14:50 | Report abuse |
  25. Frank

"conch" you are on a completely different agenda and you have some real serious issues with God. All of your quotes referring to God have been twisted around to fit your agenda. For the one that agrees with you, your quotes are very believable. Fortunately, we do not agree with you. You need Help, big time Help!

November 8, 2010 at 22:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. $

"Study: Girls take more chances during first sex"

Because they're all filthy sluts.

November 8, 2010 at 23:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alyssa

No its probably because college guys who can't get girls their own age seduce these girls and whine like 2 year olds about condoms.

November 8, 2010 at 23:28 | Report abuse |
  27. Dr. G

Dem b!tches be freaks!!!

November 8, 2010 at 23:16 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. Candice Washington

Personally, I've always said, "The person with the most to lose, needs to be the most responsible."

What does the man get? At BEST a financial burden (IF he has a job), and every other weekend and one month in the summer (IF he decides to even participate in the child's life.)

The woman on the other hand... having to be responsible for someone else almost every day for the rest of your life, who has needs that require quite a lot of money, generally 3-4 times more than what you'll actually get from child support.

Sounds to me like the woman gets the short end of the stick, so THE WOMAN needs to make sure she's are on top of that birth control.

I'm 38 with no kids. Not because I don't have sex (because I do), but because I use birth control. I have no intention of limiting the things I want to accomplish (like go back to school) or the things I want to do just for the hell of it (like spend a weekend in NYC) before I'm ready....

November 8, 2010 at 23:17 | Report abuse | Reply
    • bobo

Well Candice , you make a lot of sense.

November 8, 2010 at 23:26 | Report abuse |
    • Alyssa

That makes alot of sense. But you are getting near 40, please look up genetic disorders before you have a child, like the autism rate when you have children over 40 doubles from 35. I can't stand people that don't research and then want to disown their innocent disabled child.

November 8, 2010 at 23:30 | Report abuse |
    • C. Smith

Candice, the woman can give the child up for adoption if she doesn't want it. Why does everyone forget that part?

November 9, 2010 at 09:08 | Report abuse |
    • T

Alyssa, since you like to give at out advice so freely, why don't you look up how to get to know someone before you pop out a baby? Maybe next time you won't hook up with an abuser and then have to raise a kid on your own as a welfare recipient.

November 9, 2010 at 10:23 | Report abuse |
  29. bobo

OMG, CNN SHOWS THE HOTTEST PICS.

November 8, 2010 at 23:24 | Report abuse | Reply
    • big kabob

little white girl shut down a brother

November 9, 2010 at 00:09 | Report abuse |
  30. JayZee

Guys, stop the whining and do the right thing. I'm reading comments about how guys want to play like men but refuse to take responsibility, just like a child. Don't play a man's game if you can't act like one. And stop blaming the women. Period.

November 8, 2010 at 23:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  31. Jess

I'm a young female and I can tell you the reasons for this new statistic. It's pretty easy. Girls aren't horny like boys. Most young girls don't even want sex. And all are worried about their first time. They're worried about the pain of their first time, worried about how they look, how fat they are, and if they're pretty enough, worried if she says no the guy will run, worried that if she asks for a condom the guy will laugh at her. Basically- they don't insist on condoms because they don't have the self confidence and they're thinking about too many things at once.

Condoms need to be the boy's responsibility. Yes, girls should have enough guts to say no to sex without one but let's face it, most 12-17 year old girls aren't brave enough.

November 8, 2010 at 23:25 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Ann

You said it beautifully, Jess. Most girls this young don't want the sex, they want the closeness. They want to feel needed and will crawl through glass to get it. They fear the rejection of a boy they have to say 'no' or 'wait' to far worse than the distant fear of pregnancy or STDs.

I remember once saying 'no' to a boy, and the way he looked down at me, called me a tease, said he should just do it anyway and that he could get 5 of his friends to testify that I invited him to my room..... it's sometimes just easier to let the jerk do his thing. When you are young and unsure of yourself and lack the guts to stand up to these overwhelming emotional situations - this is when unprotected sex happens.

November 9, 2010 at 01:27 | Report abuse |
    • Mike

Ann
      "it's sometimes just easier to let the jerk do his thing."

That's about the worse thing I have ever heard. You need some self-confidence, and quickly.

November 9, 2010 at 11:56 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

Jess, you are right up until the point where you state the responsibility should be male. You should be responsible for yourself, and it is a shame you did not have a parent to teach you that. If you can't take the heat.........get out of the kitchen!!

November 9, 2010 at 14:27 | Report abuse |
  32. cristine

Very few have mentioned the emotional effect of participating in sex at a young age. No one seems to care about the moral schizophrenia of children pretending to be adults, and hitting the sheets at teen parties. There are risks beyond STD's and pregnancy. Once upon a time, there was such a thing as 'love' and 'commitment', and even 'marriage'. Once upon a time, most people thought that sex was an expression of love, commitment, and represented the uniting of 2 hearts and souls. Clearly, today, there are those who think this is a fantasy. For me, 'once upon a time' is now. There is more to life than self gratification, cynicism, and crassness. There are things worth keeping sacred, and MY body is one of them. My teens feel the same way- and look forward to finding someone one day who has saved themselves from the smut that is so prevalent in today's world. I'm dismayed at some of the comments on here...since when is sex nothing more than scratching an itch??

November 8, 2010 at 23:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Alyssa

Bravo! Nice post :) I'm tired of everyone acting like it's their given right to have sex with a million people. Most today see sex as entertainment or a way to make the movie good

November 8, 2010 at 23:33 | Report abuse |
    • C. Smith

Once upon a time, a 13 year old was a man. Once upon a time, a 16-year-old with children was considered the norm, and expected to provide for those children. Teens were supposed to already be adult members of society, but we've prolonged 'childhood' more and more. Now even 26-year-olds can live on their parents' health insurance?

November 9, 2010 at 09:14 | Report abuse |
    • yeah but...

Cristine, Once upon a time sex was a means of procreation. Love, connection, marriage are all social ideas that we have created. to justify sex and monogamy. For some people, the belief in those ideas can be very real. A side effect of this belief is the negative judgment imposed on others that don't share in YOUR idea of what sex should be. What is real for the vast majority of us are the hormones that drive our bodies to engage in sexual encounters, outside of that it is opinion, however recycled it may be.

November 9, 2010 at 10:12 | Report abuse |
    • T

Yes C. Smith, once upon a time average life expectancy was 47. Your point?

November 9, 2010 at 10:25 | Report abuse |
    • Maureen

Christine, I am so glad you "imposed" your opinions and values. They are very welcome. Your girls are very fortunate to be under your wing. Remaining pure for the one you spend your life with is smart, not infantile nor can it be described by any ohter negative insults. So sad that more girls don't grow up like that. My 15 y.o. I only hope will cling to the same virtues.

November 9, 2010 at 11:07 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

But what then do you do when one of your kitties chooses not to walk on the straight path and curiosity gets the better of them? Wouldn't you rather they be safe than sorry?

November 9, 2010 at 14:30 | Report abuse |
  33. bobo

I would like to be in a study with her.

November 8, 2010 at 23:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  34. trixen

Um, yes please.

November 8, 2010 at 23:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  35. Peter . Wolfe

I'm wondering something evn moe profound than anything that I read in some of the comments that I read and it pains me to think of this connection. Okay, 30% more likely teenage girls are having sex than the teenage boys right? This is the premise indicated by government research on national minorities health research. Everyone knows that crime is prevalent in ghettos and project Section 8 housing. Perhaps the issue is that rape is being under reported by the girls by the teenage boys? perhaps the boys are mimicing their fathers or the boyfriends of the time of their single had of house mom's? I bet nobody else thought about this hypothetical drawn solution. This to me ca sttem into multiple fdirections, which isn't to revealing at face value until otherstudies side by side coorilate somehting other than causality like circumstantual and physical evidense would be really revealing as well. Teenage pregnancies are higher in lower income bracketkets as well a perpetual cycle that everyone should find a solution to without being too much of a burden. Churches need to be involed with the schools and the parents of these hoodlums should be educated prior to the birth of their child and when teir children are becoming of age to being a buffer of frther money wasted in a already debeletating system in the U.jS.A. At this rate, our money will be forked over to useless endeavors in a social welfare system needing reform or else all benefits for everyone will eventually go bust.

November 8, 2010 at 23:37 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sadistwitch

I had a somewhat similar grimacing thought...... What percentage of girls included in the study are forced into trafficking and prostitution? Or are we ignoring that factor here? Nightnurse was correct in another conversation when she said girls are statistically more coerced into sex than boys, here's a fine example. There are boys who are forced into prostitution as well, but the numbers are stacked high against females in trafficking. Just a thought that won't leave me, and I noticed you commented something along the same lines. Crime in and of itself does bring about certian factors here and I am glad you mentioned it.

November 9, 2010 at 14:52 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

.......also that situations can be more prevalent in low-income populations. You are right, but I do not see this as a valid excuse societally. We need to be more proactive in educating teens and teaching them to be more responsible for themselves. And this ain't about color. Why not? Planned Parenthood has been handing out FREE condoms to anyone who asks, for decades. Most teens are not told this. Better education is what our world needs.

November 9, 2010 at 15:01 | Report abuse |
  36. Another Doctoral Student NOT

"...girls are less likely to want to have sex..." implies a crime which in no way equates to "sex" and if that's the case, the girl wasn't "taking chances during first sex", but was being violated. And I'm beginning to think that 98% of these studies/statistics are made up on the spot.
    And 75% of the readers will disagree. (see how that works)

November 8, 2010 at 23:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • C. Smith

I'm thinking you may be misinterpreting the 'not wanting'. It doesn't mean they say 'no', just that they're doing it for reasons other than sex. Things like, 'If I don't put out, he'll think I'm not cool'.

November 9, 2010 at 09:17 | Report abuse |
  37. Mtv

Sh!t just go watch 16 and Pregnant on Mtv Prime Example :)

November 8, 2010 at 23:43 | Report abuse | Reply
  38. David

I thought it would be surprising not because boys or typically the ones engaging in more risky behaviour but because risking pregnancy affects a girl a lot more than the guy (well, generally), so assumedly the girl would be much more cautious.

November 8, 2010 at 23:44 | Report abuse | Reply
  39. bobo

that's is why we have abortion in the US.that is one reason the gov is broke

November 8, 2010 at 23:48 | Report abuse | Reply
    • big kabob

huh? no logic between the two facts you present.

November 9, 2010 at 00:11 | Report abuse |
    • C. Smith

Actually, studies show that teem single mother rates shot way up after abortions became available. They think, 'Oh, if I get pregnant, I can just have an abortion'. Then, when they get pregnant, they remember that abortions cost money, and that they don't have any.

And, of course, adoption is no longer considered an option in our society. No idea why.

November 9, 2010 at 09:19 | Report abuse |
    • big kabob

yes, abortions are available. but that is not why the US gov't is broke. all abortions are not free and are not paid for by the gov't.

November 9, 2010 at 09:48 | Report abuse |
  40. bobo

any time you put a loaded gun with a quick release into a hot oven it's risky anyway you look at it, no matter the age or gender

November 8, 2010 at 23:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  41. Dani

I didn't have sex until just after I turned 18. I believe that the reason why I did not have sex at a younger age is because my parents(my mother actually) not only talked to me about sex and educated me about it (never went to the optional sex ed seminars), but they were also there 24-7 watching me and keeping me busy to make sure I was doing other things with myself than having time to have sex. Sure, call them overprotected because thats what everyone else would say they were , but they kept my ass out of trouble and really taugh me right and responsibility. I know when I have kids (at the appropriate age with the love of my life as my husband and we both can afford to support another human being) I will raise them exactly how my parents raised me.

November 8, 2010 at 23:51 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cristine

Well said, Dani...so refreshing to hear your perspective. Thanks for speaking out against the 'anything goes' philosophy. Kudos to your parents.

November 9, 2010 at 00:09 | Report abuse |
    • bobo

what a waste

November 9, 2010 at 09:09 | Report abuse |
    • T

Yes bobo, you are. That is why you are a proud Section 8 housing resident. Keep up the good work.

November 9, 2010 at 10:28 | Report abuse |
  42. Anthony

I am so terrified of HIV/STD's that I would not think of having sex without a condom. I played dice with my life too many times and have slept with women all accross the world and many times been an idiot. I should not even be alive today. After my last HIV/STD test came back negative for HIV/STD's I said I would never have un-protected sex again. I also committed to a higher stature of people I am involved with. I used to have sex with many beautiful women from Ethiopia, Uzbek, Czech, Poland, Russia, Thailand, Australia etc. I would not even think at this point to have sex with a Black from the US, Africa or any girl (white or black) from South Africa (25% HIV infected accross the board BTW) with a condom, let alone without one! You have to choose and choose wisely. I look at all the girls, look at their lifestyle, look at their parents. No more one night stands. Apples never fall far from the tree. There is nothing racial but demographical statistics and all medical research groups are not lying to us. There are no conspiracies. There are just facts. Sex is a wonderful thing to be enjoyed but if you are not careful it can cost you your life.

November 9, 2010 at 00:03 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Maureen

You who used to have sex with women from all around the world, You are still taking risks until you become monogamous. I know even married people can be promiscous, but I want to live my life for God and that keeps me out of trouble. I've been married 20 + years. It is the way to go- 1 partner for life.. I sure hope I didn't offend anyone!

November 9, 2010 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
  43. big kabob

no equality on this topic!

as it has been said before "if men had periods, tampons would be free"

November 9, 2010 at 00:06 | Report abuse | Reply
  44. Hedonism is stupid

Unless you see the girl take a pill, put a rubber on unless you want a kid. My 23 year old (jersey) cousin's son was due yesterday, all cause he wanted it to feel better. My first girlfriend made it a point to make me use a condom until she was on the pill, and I wouldn't want a girlfriend who didn't have the conviction to not.

November 9, 2010 at 00:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  45. Back in the 90's

when I was 14 I was in a Sexual relationship and never used condoms until I was 21 with my next sexual partner the reson it was to embarresing to go to the store and buy them.

November 9, 2010 at 00:14 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Suzanne

Well... yes... BECAUSE YOU WERE 14. Fourteen-year-olds are embarassed about everything!!

November 9, 2010 at 14:54 | Report abuse |
    • sadistwitch

Hey kids.........this is not an excuse either!!! Go to a store outside of your neighborhood where nobody knows you! Take a buddy with you for moral support and so he/she can stock up too.

November 9, 2010 at 15:12 | Report abuse |
  46. shawbrooke

The findings of this study are what most people learn from life experience. How is it that our academics have deluded themselves for so long? Is it partly because academics sometimes do not look at facts but rather on expert opinion that turns out to be an opinion that does not ruffle feathers in academe? And one of those feathers that cannot be ruffled is the belief in sex ed. Sad that it took over 40 years for the media to pay attention to a truthful and factual study.

November 9, 2010 at 00:15 | Report abuse | Reply
  47. Spitzer

These kids are looking at too much of that new porn and wanting to get Creampie. Bad, Bad! Plus Condoms rub Raw, and Guys can't feel nothing. Still, There are a bunch of sport shaggers out there that contract nasty junk.

November 9, 2010 at 00:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • sadistwitch

Buy Lifestyles ultra thins, lubed. Still too much friction? Put a dab of K-Y on it. Or get the Trojan ones that are textured pleasure for both. Stop making lame excuses, or stay home on the internet and keep dreaming of creampie.

November 9, 2010 at 15:18 | Report abuse |
  48. B-Dog

Want fewer unwanted pregnancies? Make a law that a guys name can only be added to the birth certificate with his consent.

November 9, 2010 at 00:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  49. Brian

How does religion enter into this? Some religions preach against condoms. Priests in Mexico are telling the Catholic peasants they will go to hell if they use birth control.

November 9, 2010 at 00:24 | Report abuse | Reply
  50. XY

Oh, so you're making it the guy's fault? Hm..

November 9, 2010 at 00:27 | Report abuse | Reply