home
RSS
October 29th, 2010

Does wild game meat cause the same health problems as red meat?

Every weekday, a CNNHealth expert doctor answers a viewer question. On Friday, it's Dr. Melina Jampolis, a physician nutrition specialist.

Question asked by Rob of Colorado

Does wild game meat (deer, elk, antelope, etc.) cause the same health problems typically associated with red meat consumption or are its health benefits more akin to eating fish or chicken?

Expert answer:

Wild game such as deer, elk and antelope tend to be very lean due to their active lifestyle and natural diet. Their meat, therefore, is lower in total and saturated fat than red meat.

In addition, fat from wild game contains a higher proportion of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Their nutrition statistics are very similar to a skinless chicken breast, with most cuts having around 110 to 130 calories, 2 grams of fat and 25 grams of protein for a 3 oz. serving. Deer, elk and antelope have a vitamin and mineral composition similar to beef, so these meats are good sources of iron (5 mg/4 oz.), B12 (3.6 mcg/4 oz.), B6, niacin and riboflavin.

While no research that I could find looked specifically at game meat in terms of health risks or benefits, based on their nutrition profile, they can be considered a good source of lean protein that can be consumed in moderation as part of a healthy diet along with skinless poultry, fish and trimmed lean meats.

It is not known whether game meat is associated with an increased risk of heart disease or cancer, as red meat and especially processed red meat are. In addition, they do not have the health-promoting benefits associated with fish, especially fatty fish, which is high in omega 3 fatty acids, so it is important to try to consume at least two servings of fish per week, according to the American Heart Association.

Similar to other types of meat, it is probably wise to cook game meats at lower temperatures for a longer period of time to avoid the formation of potentially cancer-causing compounds associated with cooking meats at higher temperatures.

Of note, there has been some research showing increased lead levels in people who consume wild game meat on a regular basis due to lead bullets. This has led some health agencies to recommend that pregnant women and children avoid consumption of game meat harvested with lead bullets.

Disclaimer: My response to this question does not imply that I endorse the sport of hunting. I am simply responding to the question regarding nutrition information.

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. Mary

I know of at least one instance where wild game meat did have the outcome of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease for one man in Washington state....this is a variant of a mad cow like syndrome.... I don't know what the research is on this prevelance.

October 29, 2010 at 11:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • KellyinCA

The issues surrounding variant CJD, in the late 90s, were linked to the feeding of animal byproducts to herd animals, which is not the case with wild game being hunted in the wild (I'm not sure about game animals husbanded in captivity.) If variant CJD is found in game, it is far more likely due to contamination while the animal is being carved up for the freezer.

October 29, 2010 at 12:10 | Report abuse |
    • questionauthority

CJD occurs naturally in the wild. It is propagated by certain feeding practices adopted by big cattle vendors. It is still very rare and from what i remember it can only be contracted by eating the brain and nervous systems of the animal. My guess is that you work for the big cattle vendors and are trying to scare people of wild game or scare them into eating FDA beef. As far as the article is concerned the real concern is the chemicals found in processes cattle. Eat only grass feed organic beef or none at all. Thats my belief. Game meat is better for you on so many levels. Its definantly tastes different tho.

October 29, 2010 at 12:36 | Report abuse |
    • Doug

As a biochemist who studies prion diseases, let me clear up a few misconceptions in Mary's and Kelly's posts. Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease is the name for the human prion disease, while "mad cow" is the colloquial name for the version that affects cattle, and chronic wasting is the form that affects deer.

Kelly is correct that the mad cow disease outbreak was due to feeding practices in farmed animals. Mad cow does not seem to spread between cows, so once the practice of feeding cattle meat and bone meal products from cattle and sheep, the disease has gone away (except for rare sporadic cases).

However, the same is not true for chronic wasting disease, the prion disease that affects deer and elk. It can spread between deer through a mechanism that we don't yet fully understand (most likely a fecal-oral route, where a deer defecates on the grass, and another deer subsequently eats from this spot, ingesting the infectious material). Therefore, contrary to Kelly's suggestion, prions are found in wild game. In some areas of Colorado, up to 30% of some herds are infected.

However, contrary to Mary's suggestion, there is not yet any clear evidence that prions can pass from deer to humans. There have been a few anecdotal cases, but none of them proven to come from eating deer. The problem is that Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease occurs sporadically, so it is hard to prove whether a new case was due to bad luck or due to eating infected material. There is no evidence that hunters have higher rates of CJD, even in areas with high levels of chronic wasting.

In short, it is clear that chronic wasting is not efficiently transmitted to humans, but it remains possible that it may be transmitted in very rare cases.

October 29, 2010 at 12:37 | Report abuse |
  2. Dom

There is NO link between new variant CJD and chronic wasting disease in humans. They are caused by different agents. The U.S. has had less than five cases. Most were in immigrants. There are less than 300 cases world-wide.

October 29, 2010 at 11:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Suzanne

I think that it's also worth noting that game animals – in their natural, wild state – have not been tampered with by humans (e.g., dosing them with hormones and antibiotics). I think that a good portion of the health problems we attribute to red meats can be attributable to the extra "stuff" we chemically and biologically alter it with. It would stand to reason, then, that wild game animals are healthier for human consumption. I am a vegetarian, so I don't eat any animals – but given the choice and if I had to eat an animal, I would be far more likely to eat wild game than I would factory-farmed animals.

October 29, 2010 at 12:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • DW

Have you considered eating animal crackers? That might be a good choice of animal for you.

October 29, 2010 at 19:50 | Report abuse |
  4. karla

Truly wild game animals (as opposed to farm raised "wild" ones) have fat that is high in anti-inflammatory omega 3's like fish, as the animals eat grasses. This is completely different from conventionally raised cattle who are fed corn, high in the inflammatory omega 6s, which are a major contributor to heart disease and overall levels of inflammation in the brain, heart and body in general.

October 29, 2010 at 12:09 | Report abuse | Reply
    • karla

ozwest: as a nutritionist I can tell you few actually thrive on a vegetarian/vegan diet. If one has mood issues like depression, then a vegetarian diet is awful as plants have little tryptophan in them. Pregnant vegetarian women must take iron and B12 and many lack the enzymes needed to convert flax's alpha linolenic acid to DHA needed for fetal eye and brain development, suggesting that if this population MUST supplement to prevent serious birth defect, then this is not a natural diet. Check out the new book The Vegetarian Myth or the Weston A Price web site. Would that everyone had access to wild game and fish to eat!!

October 29, 2010 at 14:16 | Report abuse |
    • Cole

Red meat and anti-inflammatory? Not really. There are many factors that determine the overall inflammation factor in foods, and, yes, omega-3 is one of them. But, red meat has too much of the bad stuff to make it anti-inflammatory. Eating red meat for that reason is a great example of taking a step forward, only to take 2 steps back. Also, like everything else that's not fish or flax seed, the actual amount of omega-3 present in wild game meat is pitiful. A serving of venison will get you about 100mg of it – Salmon has over 10x the amount.

Those that are concerned with inflammation should avoid read meat altogether and load up on leafy green, like kale and spinach. Or, have a little sanity (and enjoy food) and balance out meals – Have a modest sized steak with a bunch of greens and other veggies on the side.

October 29, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
  5. ozwest

We do NOT need to be eating any meat. Period. Get smart, live longer!

October 29, 2010 at 13:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • mario

Sure lets all sit around and eat straw huh...you must be a liberal terrorist tree hugger huh!

October 29, 2010 at 15:04 | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

Oz, I agree with you, the best choice is to not eat meat at all – I have never been healthier (or more in-shape!) than I have been since I went vegetarian.

October 29, 2010 at 16:54 | Report abuse |
    • Noname

Are you manic?

May 15, 2011 at 19:51 | Report abuse |
  6. becca

No meat is healthy fo you. The body isn't designed to digest meat well, specifically the colon. Give up the meat and stick with a diet of fruit, nuts, vegetables, and grains.

October 29, 2010 at 14:12 | Report abuse | Reply
    • FreeRangeIsBetterAlways

There's nothing wrong with a little bit of meat for those who like it. It's just that most Americans eat WAY TOO MUCH meat and it's ugly meat.

October 29, 2010 at 14:15 | Report abuse |
    • Cole

Wait, what? The colon isn't good at digesting meat? That's probably because the colon isn't really a big factor in digestion, which mostly takes place in the stomach and small intestines; speaking of the stomach, the HCL (and enzymes) in there does a pretty damn good job at breaking down meat, since, you know, it's a powerful acid.

Then there's this whole thing about how human beings were hunters and depended on meat for our survival.

October 29, 2010 at 14:22 | Report abuse |
    • mario

@becca...your a lib huh.

October 29, 2010 at 15:03 | Report abuse |
    • Seraphim0

Becca- incorrect. The human species is omnivore, we are designed for consumption of both plant matter and flesh. In fact, we can't actually digest a good portion of plant matter. Cellulose, etc. Your logic is unsound. Plus, the fact that people MUST take supplements when on a vegetarian or vegan diet, this means that it is NOT a natural means of survival for the human species.

Mario- I'm a liberal and I love medium rare steak, potatoes, and other heavy foods. What does being liberal have to do with food choice? Or are you just trying to Troll? I know vegan republicans. What's your point?

October 29, 2010 at 16:35 | Report abuse |
    • Suzanne

Honestly... I think it's about listening to your body. I was a dyed-in-the-wool meat-eater for the longest time – I still get a little crazy when I smell steak on the grill – but I went veg at the beginning of this year as sort of an experiment, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that everything – my digestion, my cholesterol, my weight, my energy level – improved. I'll never go back to eating meat again. Might not be the same for everyone, but that's how it worked out for me!

October 29, 2010 at 16:57 | Report abuse |
    • bdfb

You are mistaken. Please study human biology not internet rumors.

October 29, 2010 at 17:35 | Report abuse |
  7. FreeRangeIsBetterAlways

Free range beef is also more akin to wild game than corn fattened feed lot beef as well. The real problem with red meat lies in the way it is raised by factory farms and feed lots. And a good head shot will spare the lead poisoning issue.

October 29, 2010 at 14:13 | Report abuse | Reply
  8. CDV99574

Nothing is mentioned about moose meat??? As a family living in Alaska, we hunt for subsistence purposes, living off of moose and deer meant and Copper River Salmon. There's a HUGE difference between "sport" hunting and subsistence hunting; we hunt here to fill our freezers, not for the fun of it. It's as healthy as healthy can get...

October 29, 2010 at 14:38 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Parc

CDV, no doubt part of your health success comes from living in one of the most beautiful places on earth. How I miss the Copper River Delta. Sigh.

October 29, 2010 at 17:52 | Report abuse |
  9. Jeremy

Animals are tasty. Vegetarians aren't quite as tasty.

October 29, 2010 at 14:43 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Dawn

The ensuing silence makes up for the blander taste.

October 29, 2010 at 15:00 | Report abuse |
  10. mario

Thats why I go big game hunting every year...but if the libs and tree huggers and any other anti's have it their way...they will want us to all eat straw and sing koombyaw.

October 29, 2010 at 15:02 | Report abuse | Reply
    • FreeRangeIsBetterAlways

Hey, I am a hunter but I'm also a "lib and tree hugger". Trees give wild animals a place to live and hide, and old growth forests in particular. We should all be tree huggers and environmentalists. Those that don't care are killing all the breeding and spawning grounds of the fish and animals we like to hunt.

October 29, 2010 at 15:52 | Report abuse |
    • Seraphim0

Political Stereotype fail.

I'm a democrat, a liberal, and I have eaten, and enjoy meat from hunting. I have gone Bow Hunting and with rifles. I can shoot with pistol and shotgun as well as with a rifle. I love red meat, as well as leaner foods. I simply eat smart and don't chow down on a raw steak everyday.

You need to open your mind a bit and step out of partisan stupidity.

October 29, 2010 at 16:43 | Report abuse |
  11. Steve

Yup, I will be partaking in venison later on with my family. I love it, and its a great way for us to save money in these trying times. 32 Dollars later pays for approx 12 pounds of turkey meat and 60 pounds of venison, an extra 20 dollars buys my waterfowl license and I supplement goose breasts and duck soups... It's healthier, cheaper, and also promotes time with my family afield while hunting and or fishing. It's an American heritage that is not as appreciated as it should be due to the nature at which game is harvested. Sport hunting has done more damage than any lib or tree hugger ever could.

October 29, 2010 at 15:15 | Report abuse | Reply
    • FreeRangeIsBetterAlways

I agree. Sport hunting can be wasteful and destructive, but subsinstance hunting is great for those that live by it. Way better than what city dwellers call meat.

October 29, 2010 at 16:14 | Report abuse |
    • charles s

I am not a hunter but I agree that hunting is a good sport and that the meat it provides is much healthier than most meat bought in the stores. Grass fed beef is probably as good as wild meat. It is more expensive but has a better taste. Corn is not the best food for cattle and conditions in a feed lot are appalling.

October 29, 2010 at 16:58 | Report abuse |
    • FACTCHECK REVlEW CENTER

The user identified as "Steve" Disturbingly WROTE: "I will be partaking in venison later on with my family...... It's healthier"=FALSE.

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN: "WILD MEAT RAISES LEAD EXPOSURE"
      "Tests by the CDC show that eating venison and other game can raise the amounts of lead in human bodies" "Lead is a dangerous neurotoxin. Low levels can harm children’s developing brains, causing learning disabilities and reduced I.Q.s." "Research, however, has shown that eating venison and other game meat can substantially raise the amounts of lead in human bodies." -Scientific American

–Steve has just potentially poisoned his own family and his own child.

The user "charles s" FALSELY WROTE: "..hunting is a good sport and that the meat it provides is much healthier.."=WRONG.

1. WILD GAME MEAT MAY BE INFECTED! – Remember, meat in the supermarket is monitored and inspected, by federal authorities, and tested for disease. Meat obtained from Wild animals is never properly inspected, and may be a carrier of highly infectious diseases such as Brucellosis. Wild Animals can be carriers and be exposed to TICKS, which carry LYME DISEASE, which can then be passed on to children fed pieces of wild game meat by their parent. Wild Animal tissue may be infested with nematodes, parasites, worms, and infectious organisms such as Trichinella larvae, tapeworm eggs and pieces, and cysts. You will never know, because hunters obtain the meat and cull it and bypass all USDA and FDA inspection, this means hunters can be feeding their own families and children pieces of meat infested with egg larvae, harmful parasites, and or viral and bacterial diseases. In addition, the meat may be unclean, as it can hacked up in contaminated surroundings such as a hunter's garage. The meat may have particles of Feces on it, inadvertantly squeezed out of the innards and rectal organs as the hunter guts the animal and drops of urine or fecal matter contaminate the meat carcass. Gloves and fecal matter or the animal may be contaminated with teeming ecoli bacteria, listeria, salmonella, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, and other infectious pathogens. By ingesting wild game meat, all individuals can be exposing themsleves, their families, and children to rampant infectious diseases, Toxoplasmosis, Avian Flu, and parasites, including tapeworms. Remember, this meat is Never inspected.

This isn't even taking into account the horrible number of gun and hunting accidents causing human death and children being shot in the face or body, or child deaths due to gun accidents due to accidents from firearms found by the children in hunters homes and having the weapons accidentally going off and killing the human child. This is just dealing with the number of acts of harm, sickness and death numbering in the thousands from eating game meat.

"TOXOPLASMOSIS: How do people get toxoplasmosis?" "By consuming foods such as... meats, especially pork, lamb, or wild game" -USDA

"TRICHINELLA: "Trichinella spiralis is an intestinal roundworm whose larvae may migrate from the digestive tract and form cysts in various muscles of the body. Infections occur worldwide, but are most prevalent in regions where pork or wild game is consumed" -FSIS

Do you think it doesn't happen? –> NEWS REPORT: "Health officials look into deaths of 3 men who ate wild game meat."
      The Associated Press AP – "The deaths of three outdoorsmen from brain-destroying illnesses are under investigation by medical experts" "The men knew one another and ate elk and deer meat at wild-game feasts"

REPORT: "Wild game ousts pork as main source of Trichinella."-Center for Infectious Disease Research – CIDR

2. NEWS: "WILD GAME IS SOURCE OF LEAD FOR THOSE WHO EAT HUNTED MEAT"
      "People who consume wild game have higher levels of lead circulating in their blood." -Environmental News

"Toxicologists at UC Santa Cruz has now confirmed what wildlife biologists have long suspected: Bullet fragments and shotgun pellets in the carcasses of animals killed by hunters are the principal sources of lead poisoning" -SCIENCE DAILY

3. PHYS-ORG NEWS: "Eating red and processed meats has been linked to an increased risk of developing several different types of cancer."
      "Studies have identified a number of compounds in meat that might account for this association (Eating Red Meat and Cancer) . These include heterocyclic amines, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, and N-nitroso compounds." -PHYSORG Meat, whether grassfed, organic, wild game, deer, or factory farmed cow has now been linked to bladder cancer, pancreatic cancer, colon cancer, rectal cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer, Prostate Cancer in men, and Human Death.

4. MEDICAL NEWS TODAY: "Meat, Especially If It's Well Done, May Increase Risk Of Bladder Cancer"
      "It's well known that meat, especially cooked at high temperatures, generates heterocyclic amines that can cause cancer," results of a large study at The University of Texas Anderson Cancer Center presented at the American Association for Cancer Research 101st Annual Meeting 2010

–The assertion by "charles s" is heretofore discredited.

KEEP IN MIND: It does not matter if this meat was plain, grass-fed, hunted, organic, free-range, wild game, fast food, processed, or factory farmed. As soon as it's cooked, and gets any grill-marks on it, All forms of meat, including organic, grass-fed, free-range, or wild hunted game meat can contain HCA's which are shown to be linked with Cancer. Thus, when it comes to meat, all human individuals run the risk of damage whether it's farmed, organic, grass-fed, wild game, overcooked, undercooked, free-range, or not. All types of meat have been linked to hazardous conditions unfit for human ingestion.

MEAT IS HARMFUL. WILD GAME MEAT IS EQUALLY IF NOT MORE HARMFUL THAN OTHER MEAT.

October 31, 2010 at 23:10 | Report abuse |
  12. NS

As much as game murder is better than natural death

October 29, 2010 at 15:42 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Seraphim0

Yes, because the natural circle of life is full of murder. Really, if you look at it this way, then we should stop all those wild animals from murdering each other and make them eat salads. This may sound ridiculous, but it is pretty much what you are saying. How? Human beings are animals who also rely on other animals as a food source. Us killing animals for food (in the hunting aspect, not mass production), is as natural as a lion taking down it's prey to feed its young.

Stop being ridiculous.

October 29, 2010 at 16:41 | Report abuse |
    • NS

The difference is the wild animals dont call it game.. which sounds like some sadist having fun at the expense of suffering of others...

October 29, 2010 at 19:00 | Report abuse |
  13. NEChick71

My husband deer hunts every year. We end up with 2 deer which we have processed for $260 total. That's enought meat to feed our family the entire year. We only eat venison and do so about twice a month. We eat cow about twice a year. 13 days and counting until hunting season opens.

October 29, 2010 at 16:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Suzanne

I grew up in northeast Pennsylvania – hunting and eating deer was just a way of life for us, as there is PLENTY to go around. I'm a vegetarian now, but I did enjoy the various venison steaks, jerkies and summer sausage that we used to have. Shoot, we even had the day off from school on the Monday after Thanksgiving for buck day!

October 29, 2010 at 17:03 | Report abuse |
    • FACTCHECK REVlEW CENTER

NEChick71 WROTE: "My husband deer hunts every year...We only eat venison..."

REPORT: "EATING VENISON (DEER MEAT) AND OTHER GAME RAISES LEAD EXPOSURE"
      "The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tested 736 people, mostly adults, in six North Dakota cities and found that those who ate wild game had 50 percent more lead in their blood" -Centers For Disease Control CDC

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN: "WILD MEAT RAISES LEAD EXPOSURE"

SCIENCE NEWS: "LEAD IN AMMUNITION CONTAMINATES GAME MEAT"
      "Eating the meat of animals hunted using lead ammunition can be more dangerous for health than was previously thought, especially for children.." -Science News

SITUATION: NEChick71, husband, family, and Suzanne may now have the lasting results of potential brain damage from ingesting meat.

STUDIES NOW SHOW THAT MEAT ESPECIALLY FROM WILD GAME ANIMALS, BIRDS, DEER VENISON, AND HUNTED ANIMALS, IF EATEN, CAN LOWER THE MEAT-EATER'S MENTAL CAPACITY, AND CAN BE AKIN TO FEEDING YOUR FAMILY & CHILDREN PIECES OF LEAD PAINT CHIPS.

October 31, 2010 at 22:02 | Report abuse |
  14. Nate

To the author: Hunting is not a "sport" if you are doing it to eat.

October 29, 2010 at 17:30 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Parc

Nate, why can't it be both a sport and an opportunity to fill the freezer? It is for most of the hunters I know. (Not directed at you in particular Nate but...) Hunting helps keep the ecosystem in balance and has been part of the natural order since the beginning of time. Why do people always seem to pull the human species out of the environment in which they live. Yes we can and do screw it up but in some case we blend in as well. Bye the way I'm a vegetarian for health reasons. Man I miss my steak.

October 29, 2010 at 17:59 | Report abuse |
    • NS

have some respect for the pain the animal is going to feel and just not have the fun of killing it while it is running to save its life.. god save you and your daughter from having to run for their life while someone else is trying to shoot you for fun..

October 29, 2010 at 19:02 | Report abuse |
  15. NS

hope all you guys who have fun killing animals dont feel too bad when some psychopath runs after you or your loved ones just trying to have some fun and shooting practice.. cmon be a part of the chain..

October 29, 2010 at 19:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • hungry

At our house, we will be ready. All that practice shooting at animals! Be warned, sleep with pistol under my pillow...

October 29, 2010 at 19:12 | Report abuse |
    • NS

and you will congratulate the psycho killer after he gets your sons and daughters for furthering your tradition in an efficient and fun way..

October 29, 2010 at 19:21 | Report abuse |
    • Parc

NS, A quick death from a hunter beats a long slow death from winter starvation caused by over population from a lack of predators. Yes humans may have caused that lack so it makes sense for us to fill the void. Why is it more morally correct for a wolf to eat a dear than a human? We are part of the ecosystem too.

October 30, 2010 at 00:27 | Report abuse |
  16. hungry

My husband hunts deer, elk, moose, dove, pheasant, the list goes on. We eat very single thing he brings home. I have bought beef maybe 2-3x in the last couple of years. I do buy chicken. It has really helped with our grocery bill. When you factor in bow hunting and reusing the arrows, it is really cost effective. We process it ourselves to save additional cost. Yummy!

October 29, 2010 at 19:10 | Report abuse | Reply
  17. pj

My meat diet consists of wild game; there is nothing to this "lead rumor". I was tested and many others here in North Dakota...our lead levels were WAY LOW. You people living in remodeled houses probably have more lead in you than I do. Yes, wild game is totally delicious and healthful. Some doc in Bismarck started this unholy rumor and is trying to scare everyone. Hunters are not buying this crap. Eat moderately of all things. Stop this fear mongering. Our forebears ate meat and gleaned grains and veggies........wake up.

October 29, 2010 at 19:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • FACTCHECK REVlEW CENTER

User "PJ" is DEBUNKED.

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN: "WILD MEAT RAISES LEAD EXPOSURE"

NEWS: "STUDY CONFIRMS AMMUNITION AS MAIN SOURCE OF LEAD POISONING.."

SCIENCE NEWS: "LEAD IN AMMUNITION CONTAMINATES GAME MEAT"

HEALTH NEWS: "WILD GAME IS SOURCE OF LEAD FOR THOSE WHO EAT HUNTED MEAT"

REPORT: "EATING VENISON (DEER MEAT) AND OTHER GAME RAISES LEAD EXPOSURE"

DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION: "LEAD BULLET FRAGMENTS IN WILD GAME MEAT"
      "The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources reported the results of a study to determine how bullets commonly used for deer hunting may fragment. They discovered that small lead particles were found up to 18 inches from the wound channel, farther than previously thought.." -MDNR

WISCONSIN DEPT OF HEALTH: "LEAD FROM AMMUNITION FOUND IN CHILDREN CONSUMING WILD GAME MEAT"
      "Wisconsin Department of Health found the potential for substantially elevated blood lead levels in children consuming venison harvested with lead bullets." -WDH

NEWS: "GAME BIRD MEAT FOUND CONTAINING LEVELS OF LEAD"
      Studies show that game birds harvested with lead shotgun shells had elevated levels of lead" "Most of the lead fragments in meat are too small to see, feel or sense when chewing it." -CONN DEP OF ENV PROTECTION

FIELD AND STREAM: "MORE SCARY NEWS ABOUT LEAD LEVELS IN WILD GAME"
      "A team of scientists from the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust (WWT), along with researchers from the Research Institute on Cynegetic Resources has proven that the levels of lead in cooked game meat exceeds maximum human allowances." "samples analysed exceeded the maximum level of lead.. in meat" "Eating just 200g of this meat ON A SINGLE OCCASION, the tolerable human intake of lead could be exceeded" "The study concludes that the potential health risk of consuming game shot with lead could be greater than was thought."

SPRINGER-VERLAG: "Determining Tissue-Lead Levels in Large Game Mammals Harvested with Lead Bullets" -BULLETIN OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINATION & TOXICOLOGY
      "the use of lead isotope ratios has definitively identified lead ammunition as a source of lead exposure" This includes Native Aboriginal First Nations People such as Eskimos, Inuit, etc. as well as hunters. "Analysis found elevated tissue-lead concentrations (up to 5,726.0 ug/g ww) in liver (5/9) and muscle (6/7) samples of big game harvested with lead bullets and radiographic evidence of lead fragments." -Human Health Concerns

RESULTS:
      LESS THAN 1% OF ALL MEAT IS ORGANIC, THEREFORE 99% OF ALL REGULAR MEAT, ESPECIALLY IN THE US, HAS BEEN FOUND TO CONTAIN UNFIT LEVELS OF HORMONES, CONTAMINANTS & ANTIBIOTICS. IN RESPONSE, MEAT-EATERS HAVE NOW BEGUN TO TOUT HUNTED GAME MEAT. HOWEVER HUNTED WILD GAME MEAT HAS BEEN FOUND TO CONTAIN HIGH LEVELS OF LEAD UNFIT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION, CAUSING LOW I.Q. & STUNTED BRAIN DEVELOPMENT IN THOSE WHO HAVE EATEN THE MEAT.

October 31, 2010 at 21:36 | Report abuse |
  18. NS

what happens to all the fun and big smiles when the tragedy hits home huh?

October 29, 2010 at 19:23 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. Veganic

Only flesh eating zombies eat meat. I hope aliens come to earth and shoot you for fun or food. Or perhaps they're too evolved to eat flesh and are more compassionate. The human race is an experiment gone wrong.

October 29, 2010 at 19:34 | Report abuse | Reply
    • NS

totally with you veganic.. there is some civilization left after all..

October 29, 2010 at 19:59 | Report abuse |
    • Parc

NS and Veganic, so is it ok to kill some plants for us to eat? A death is a death no? Oh they don't have nerve cells? Ok so if we make it painless for the animal is it ok to eat them then? Face it for one organism to survive often requires another to die. You're actually trying to remove humans from their natural place in the ecosystem rather than find our balanced place in it. By pulling us out of it you are upsetting the balance just as too much harvesting is. Extreme positions are not the answer. Animals kill to survive. Guess what you and I are both animals too. Lets find our natural place in the balance.

October 30, 2010 at 00:34 | Report abuse |
    • Erik

@ Veganic said (Only flesh eating zombies eat meat. I hope aliens come to earth and shoot you for fun or food ) Well if aliens would come to earth,don,t you think you would be too or since your a vegan your safe? Funny how you feel killing humans is OK,but not any animals. Now for the rest of you I grew up in the backs woods. Back in the 60,s and 70,s wild meat was a lot safer to eat then,100 years ago even more safe,but a around ten years ago,A friend told me about seeing deer that had short front legs like a kangaroo! We started thinking about the GMO corn they ate.Heck lets face it no food is safe to eat anymore! Also did your vegans know there was a test done on plants back in the 60,s They put monitors on the 2 plants. They left the room ,had a guy come back and KILL one plant and leave.The other plant,s monitor would change only if that one man came into the room. So Vegans chew on that one.

December 23, 2014 at 11:19 | Report abuse |
    • Tinag

so you hope Aliens come to earth and kill everyone that hunts for food to feed their family, because you are against killing of animals??? cause theres so much logic there. Im sure ppl in your own family eats meat, and you wish them dead because of it, your nuts.

January 11, 2017 at 23:24 | Report abuse |
  20. FACTCHECK REVlEW CENTER

ATTENTION:

The entire posting by the user "PARC" is a known falsitude that has already been debunked. The entire post from this individual can be disregarded and thrown out as unusable.

Here's why: This user identified as "Parc" has just attempted to use the already-known-debunked line which is often tried unsuccessfully by those pushers of a meat-based agenda whereby they attempt to state something like "Vegans are inherently killers too!"(FALSE). Other forms of this dupage includes attempts to state that vegetables have feelings, vegans are killing plants and they are screaming, plants are just like animals and eating meat, etc etc. All of this is debunked by the following statement: It is easily possible, for a vegan, to thrive and completely enjoy a diet based on plants, without killing ANYTHING. - Huh?! What? Yes. Here's why Parc's entire line, and that of any under-educated poster of the meat-based line attempting to assert that everything kills everything else, and then attempts to falsely assert that everything needs to do that to "survive", or since it "happens in nature" we somehow "must" do it, is completely debunked and ruled FALSE. 1-word: Frugivorous. Learn it.

Here's the thing: Multiple plants produce what are known as fruits. These are items that a plant produces. Not only that, but in eating them DOES NOT require killing ANYTHING AT ALL! This is best illustrated by an example: Take for instance an Apple. This is produced by an apple tree. After the tree produces an apple, the apple eventually falls to the ground when it becomes ripened. You walk up, pick the delicious freshly fallen apple up off the ground and eat it. Notice that this did nothing whatsoever to harm the host tree. Guess what. It's still fine. You picked the apple up off the ground, ate it, and not only is it healthy ("An apple a day keeps the doctor away!") but it did absolutely nothing to kill or even harm the apple tree, and not only that, to the vegetarian it was delicious!

At this point, Parc is debunked. Parc tried to assert:"Face it for one organism to survive often requires another to die."=WRONG! This is now proven false. This assertion is now thrown out by counter-example, and cannot ever be used again. But wait, that's not even all of it. Parc, and anyone else attempting this false ruse using things like "everything must kill" so "its natural to kill" so "we must kill" "its the natural balance" etc etc are SUMMARILY DEBUNKED. Not only that, but the trouncing goes even further than that!

When a plant ( such as an apple tree ) produces an apple, why does it do that? Hmm? Why does it bother to "naturally" fabricate an apple in the first place. Why does a plant go to the extent to make something that ripens with all kinds of red colorful delicious fruit and juicy goodness? Hmm? FOR ANIMALS TO EAT! That's why. What the plant is doing is producing its seeds. Why? To procreate! Plants continue their genetic lines in nature mostly by producing seeds. So why would a plant bother to create a succulent incredibly delicious colorful and delectable fruit around it filled with wonderful aromas and scents and then ripen it and hang it from a branch from the picking and then have it fall to the ground to be harvested? Hmm? The reason is, that it is naturally producing thise items for animals with mobility to eat them! This is the plants gift to us. And this is Nature. This is the natural balance. This is the real equilibrium. Not killing. Plants produce OXYGEN. Guess what we need: Oxygen. Plants breathe in Carbon Dioxide. Guess what we exhale: Carbon Dioxide. Plants breathe in OUR waste product, and turn it into the very thing that gives us life. The innumerable majority of plants do not need to kill anything whatsoever to survive, plants can even live off a rock on a cliff, live in the air (air ferns), and get all they need by absorbing it from minerals and nutrients in the ground, even so-called carnivorous plants can live off water, and fallen plant material as well, and plants absorb our carbon dioxide and turn it into life-giving oxygen for us. That is the natural equilibrium balance in Nature.

Likewise, it is not only possible, but quite easy, for a vegetarian/vegan to not only survive but even to become even more healthy and theoretically NOT kill any animal OR plant at all! In fact, there is even a name for this type of vegetarian, and it is called a FRUGIVORE! Keep in mind, this isn't just apples and oranges, mind you, but this also includes things like Cashew nuts, Walnuts, Dates, Sunflower Seeds, etc. Even standard vegans can eat Peas, Beans, etc. without ever having to kill the host plant's life. OH, and before you go erroneously thinking that nobody can live off of just eating fruits alone, it's already been done, and there are people living and thriving for years, decades. And not only that but healthy and strong. What? Strong?? –Here comes the usual meat-head query again: "But plants and vegetarians can't get protein(WRONG). Eat nothing but fruits? Are you kidding? How do you get your protein? Plants don't have protein(WRONG). Nothing can survive just by eating Fruits!(WRONG)." ALL OF THIS is False. Here's a hint. What weighs 800 pounds, and is build of solid muscle and protein, and could beat the living tar out of even Arnold Schwarzeneggar, subsists on a diet of fruits, and could toss any meat-eater around like a tiny girl's rag-doll? A SILVERBACK GORILLA. Not only could a silverback, which eats mainly only fruit, come and wipe the floor using your head like a little mop, it also weighs from 5 to 8 times more than you, and is composed of rock solid musculature derived nearly entirely of plant protein from eating mainly fruit! If you don't believe it, go try it. Go threaten a Silverback gorilla and see what happens to you. Meat-head will be turned into "mince-meat" by the little fruit-eating vegan Silverback gorilla and you'll find out very quickly that not only do plants contain protein, but massive amounts of it, and that you just got the living crap beat out of you by a vegetarian. Muscle from plant protein is stronger and more solid than muscle composed from meat sources. Again, go try to beat up a Silverback and find out. Even a chimp is 5 to 10 times stronger than man.

But that's not all, it can also be argued that the plant is actually "USING" animals. Whilst the arrogant animal is going around thinking he or she is 'better' than the plant, it could be argued that the plant the entire time has been 'allowing' the animal to think that, when in reality the plant has been using the animal by producing things that are appealing to said animal to eat, on purpose, and by doing this, what the plant accomplishes is to have the animal eat the apple, then able away, and then digest the fruit, depositing the plants seeds at a new Location! Thus the plant has actually produced the plant FOR the animal to eat, and by the animal eating the fruit, and carrying the plants seeds far and wide, the plant has just done the very thing by producing the fruit for the animal to eat that is the best thing for perpetuating the plant's genetic line!

Therefore, the Vegetarian, or Vegan, is actually not only not killing the host plant at all, but by the very act of the vegetarian eating that plant's fruit, the vegetarian is actually HELPING the plant! So a vegan by eating the fruit of the plant can be actually helping it! At this point, the entire meat claim whereby some meat-eater attempts to assert that Everything kills everything else in Nature, and Vegans must Kill plants or fail to survive, or that killing is all that happens in nature, etc is not only debunked, but it is now completely tossed on its head and found to be exactly the opposite.

October 31, 2010 at 20:38 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. FACTCHECK REVlEW CENTER

User "PARC" has already previously been debunked on the false "vegans must kill plants" erroneous argument. But...

Not only is "Parc" debunked, but then he attempts the entire "extremist" false ploy. Here's the problem: Parc and his similar ilk go around bandying about the use of the phrase "extreme" or "extremist", attempting to label any person who is "different from him" as some kind of extremist, or vegan killer=ALL OF THIS MATERIAL BY PARC IS DEEMED FALSE. First of all, he falsely believes that somehow 'everyone' in the world eats meat "like him" and therefore anyone who doesn't is some kind of extremist.=This is FALSE. This is because he does not know the facts, or the world. In fact, out of the nearly 6 Billion humans in the world, MORE people follow a mainly plant-based diet than a meat-based diet! One more time: There are LESS people that follow a meat-based diet, and MORE people who observe a plant-based diet on the face of the earth. Nearly 4 Billion people tend to a mainly plant-based vegetable and fruit based diet, whereas less than 0.3 of the people in the world eat mainly a meat-based diet. He does not know this. What is happening is that he probably lives in his own community somewhere like in the US or the UK and he falsely believes the whole world is like that. Here's some news for you to put it in perspective: The US has roughly 350 million people. If you think that's the 'majority' then you're in for an awakening. India contains nearly 1.2 BILLION people. That means the US represents a tiny 0.25 of just the people in that 1 single country! And guess what, a huge segment of the population of India is guess what: Vegetarian. Now lets look at CHINA. China dominates and absolutely dwarfs the entire population of the US. If you don't know this, wake up. China is verging on nearly 1.6 BILLION people now. China contains many Buddhists. Buddhism encourages guess what: Vegetarianism. And theres more: Thailand, Okinawa, etc etc, and the longest living people on earth, mainly following a plant based diet. So what you believed a moment ago, where you thought being a meat-eater was the norm, and some vegetarian was some kind of rare outcast extremist, has now been turned on its head, and you are henceforth informed that it is actually YOU who are in the minority at the extreme.

Not only that, but when it comes time to compare other extremist signposts, it's the meat-eater who becomes the extremist. It is the vegetarian who is caring, who is mindful, who cares about themselves, and others, and the environment. It is the meat-eater who is the one who is cutting and slicing the throats of living beings, watching as blood gurgles out of their necks and throats, it is the meat-eater who is gutting and pulling sliced up organs out of the killed carcasses of animals, putting animals in cages, uncaring, unfeeling, minimalizing them, sometimes even torturing them, hunting them down, filling another being with terror as it runs and flees for its life, or fights for the life of its young, only to be shot in the face, and then be gutted and then the meat-eater, such as parc, who toasts, bakes, or burns its flesh and then devours its meat. THAT is the sign of an extremist. The extremist is the individual who thinks nothing of filling a being with terror and fear for its life, hunting it down, shooting it in the face, slicing anothers throat, burning their flesh, and consuming it. That's the extremist.

But that's not all, right about now, you'll have a bunch of meat-eaters right now thinking they are much better than animals, bragging that they are at the 'top of the food chain'(WRONG), and they are thinking that meat is what is needed for "humans" and that they are the ones who care about "people"(WRONG). The fact is, that it is the same Meat-Eater who goes around saying that they care so much about people, that is causing the most damage to human lives. What they don't realize is that whereas the number of human deaths attributed to eating meat is huge. 5-thousand people a year end up dead, due to food-borne illnesses many of which are traced by the CDC back to meat. Yes, the meat-eater has just facilitated human death. 375,000 people end up sickened with vomit, stomach pains, and bloody diahrroic afflictions every single year, just in the US alone. And what the meat-eater has been touting results in nearly 75-million cases of people getting sickened each year, including children. This does not even include people losing loved ones and going through the heart-wrenching grief of a heart attack, resulting from a meat-diet. Meat eaters whilst going around whinging about B12 which has never killed anyone then goes around and touts Meat which is now linked to Cancers, of the prostate, women going through the trauma of breast cancer, men getting testicular cancer, Pancreatic cancer which is what killed Patrick Swayze, People living with Colostomy Bags because their intestines and rectum had to be cut out. Then theres the link of meat to dementia. Meat ingestion now linked to men's problems, low spermcount, fetal brain damage due to ingesting meat soaked with methyl mercuric poison, dioxins, and PCB's, and more. It is the meat-pusher who is advocating things that are killing and hurting fellow Americans or countrymen around the world. It is the meat-pusher who despite reading blatantly in front of them SCIENCE NEWS: "Eating Red And Processed Meat Associated With Increased Risk Of Death" in black & white, right in front of their eyes, and will STILL not only eat it themselves, but feed it to their child, putting them at risk, and continue to go and recommend it to others, inflicting potential damage to thousands of human beings, including the meat-eater hurting thousands of American's including children. Now who's the extremist? It's the person who is touting and pushing the ingestion of meat which has been conclusively linked to some of the most horrible and devastating infectious diseases known to man, known to inflict cancer on other humans, and sickness and disease, and even linked to Death. Any pusher of a meat-based agenda who attempts to go around mistakenly brandishing about the term extremist is not only debunked, the actual one has been found, it just happens to be in their own mirror. Instead of caring, what they have been recommending, while touting that they care more about people, is responsible for thousands of cases of documented human death.

Parc's entire posting is hereby obviated and can be discarded. And any and all others whom you might see elsewhere attempting to post this similar ruse, can be summarily discredited.

October 31, 2010 at 20:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. Noname

Wow factcheck are you manic? Obviously unemployed!

May 15, 2011 at 19:56 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Tinag

Thank you lol I was thinking the same.

January 11, 2017 at 23:27 | Report abuse |
  23. Erik

Whomever factcheck review center may be. I hope when you die in your saferoom covered in white with kleenex everywhere having lived a life similar to that of howard hughes you had some fun along the way. Paranoid schizo person, they do have medicine for your condition. I would rather have died living my life at 40 doing what I want than live to 94 in a saferoom with no exploring ever. Make sure you don't drive a car, I can list a LOT of risks for doing that too. I could have spent much more time "debunking" your mostly paranoid rediculus claims, and spend more time with my perfect grammar, but I have a life to live. Enough time with your paranoia. Live life, its always too short no matter how you die. One quick piece of advice for hunters in relation to lead, use brass slugs and steel shot, lead if eaten is bad, paranoid boy has that right.

October 29, 2011 at 10:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • dave1

bow hunting is the only answer to harvesting lean venison. no lead and lots of outdoor blood tracking fun. enjoy the harvest people, we live short lives. teach your childeren to hunt, spend the time in the woods. any person whom opposes this lifestyle has no merit and makes no sense to those of us whom live it.

October 12, 2015 at 22:34 | Report abuse |
  24. Spikehunter87

Wild meat or cow meat, that is the question. I would think game meat has to be better for you, cause of fat content. Deer are active and moving and cows are not so active. I hunt http://www.peartreegameranch.com for deer. I wish there was more ways to eat game meat, instead of cow. I think people would be more healthy.

November 28, 2011 at 13:25 | Report abuse | Reply
  25. Jenny Rodgers

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog. I'm hoping to check out the same high-grade content by you later on as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get my very own website now 😉

June 21, 2014 at 23:48 | Report abuse | Reply
  26. vegetarian recipes

Hi there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I genuinely enjoy reading your articles.
    Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same
    topics? Thanks for your time!

October 12, 2014 at 21:01 | Report abuse | Reply
  27. Phillip Grauman

well done

March 7, 2015 at 01:52 | Report abuse | Reply
  28. android apps in c++

Since the admin of this website is working, no doubt
    very shortly it will be renowned, due to its quality contents.

June 4, 2015 at 08:29 | Report abuse | Reply
  29. Darlene Grobe

Just desire to say your article is as astounding. The clearness in your post is just cool and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Well with your permission allow me to grab your RSS feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the enjoyable work.

March 2, 2017 at 07:37 | Report abuse | Reply