home
RSS
October 22nd, 2010

Fitness digest: Steve Harvey's detox, running pains, energy drink banned

Every Friday, we'll give a Web shout-out to interesting, quirky or  bizarre diet-and-fitness items. Tell us your suggestions for interesting stories, posts or websites that caught your eye.

If you want to win, suck it up.

Writing about the art of pain, New York Times’ Gina Kolata finds superathletes are able to manage and push through pain.   That mental tenacity and pain coping separates "the mortals and immortals in running.”

Several accomplished athletes told the Times they were willing to endure the worst pain and do “whatever it takes to win the race.”

21 pounds in 21 days

TV and radio personality Steve Harvey turned to a diet of veggie and berry drinks to shed weight.  This detox diet, dubbed the Martha's Vineyard Detox Diet, also requires  digestive enzyme pills and coffee enema.

The mere sacrifices according to diet book "21 Pounds in 21 Days'" website is that  you may experience "acne, rashes, nausea, headaches, sleepiness, fatigue, constipation, diarrhea, runny nose, ear problems, and body aches." Sounds pleasant.

Doctors have long slammed detox diets as being junk science and even carrying risks.  Harvey appears pleased with his results, writing, "A more than successful week on my detox I feel great especially after stepping on the scale started @ 238.4 now 228."

Math helps marathons

The way to prevent "hitting"the wall" during a marathon is calculating how much carbs a runner needs to run 26.2 miles.

Ben Rapoport, an M.D./Ph.D. student in the Harvard-MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, designed a model published in the Oct. 21 issue of PLoS Computational Biology, that allows runners to calculate their pace and carbs.

“In order to avoid it [hitting the wall], you need to know what your capabilities are," he told MIT News. "You need to set a target pace that will get you to the finish without hitting the wall. Once you do that, you need to make sure you appropriately carbo-load.”

Alcohol-and-caffeine concoction crashes students

Trouble rumbles in Jersey stemming from young people and booze - and this time, it has nothing to do with Snooki.

A New Jersey college banned Four Loko, an energy drink  containing caffeine and alcohol that has earned the distinctive nickname  “blackout in a can.” Ramapo College this month banned the carbonated drink after 23 people were hospitalized for alcohol intoxication in the fall semester, the Record reports.

The drink at the center of the controversy comes in a 23.5 ounce can and contains either 6 or 12 percent alcohol content depending on the state.  It also packs a punch of caffeine, taurine, guarana, and alcohol, and comes in eight candy-like flavors: blue raspberry, cranberry lemonade, fruit punch, lemon-lime, lemonade, orange-blend, grape and watermelon.  They taste like liquefied candy or just windshield wiper fluid– depending on whom you ask.

Credit cards say yes to cake

Not only do they get you into debt, credit cards mount calories, too.

A study tracking grocery shopping habits of 1,000 households, found that people who used debit or credit cards were significantly more likely to make unplanned, impulsive food choices such as cookies, cakes and other unhealthy treats,  as reported by our partners at Time: Time: Paying cash at the grocery store leads to healthier food choices

Fat freezes

A newly approved FDA device is now in doctors’ offices that  freezes fat cells, causing them to die and then reabsorb into the skin. Zeltiq, the company behind the “CoolSculpting” touts the procedure for its lack of needles or surgery, and says it can produce a “20 percent reduction of fat in the treated area.”

"No matter what you do, you can't get rid of that extra bulge," Jessica Sanders, mother of two, who is trying to get rid of post-pregnancy weight told CNN affiliate KXAN in Austin speaks to a patient. However, there is some skepticism  about whether freezing effectively reduces fat.

1. ZZZZZZZ

.....ZZZZZZZZ

October 22, 2010 at 13:31 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Lorelai

hahahahahahaha. Exactly.

October 22, 2010 at 13:53 | Report abuse |
  2. Valerie

All I can say is this- I went on a 20 day TOTAL juice fast of vegetable and fruit juices I juiced myself for a cleanse and to give my digestion system a rest and I felt like a 10 year old kid again! After the first three initial days of hunger pangs and headaches (from the body detoxing) I didn't feel any hunger at all for the rest of the fast. I gave my body nothing but the nutrients of fresh juice. Although a slender person anyway, I did lose weight, but that was not my goal. My eyesight improved as well (very STRANGE to be able to see so CLEARLY!!) ....normally I am an 8 hour of sleep a night gal but I was hopping out of bed after 5 ready to start my day......highly recommended BUT, you WILL have the battle of the weak flesh, over the spirit....it was a unique experience for that alone!

October 22, 2010 at 14:05 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Rob

The sad thing is that everyone talks about these "toxins" but nobody can ever tell me exactly what they are. The reason for that is because it's bunk. Your body doesn't just accumulate toxins that fruit juices will magically take out. Don't view your diet as a battle between your mind and body. Learn to use food properly WITH your body. Extreme measures will not solve the problem. A proper diet requires systemic coordination, not fake science and fasting.

October 22, 2010 at 14:24 | Report abuse |
    • Sylvia

Wow, that sounds like a good idea. I been wanting to try that myself but dont know where to start. I want to do it for a cleanse and jump start the weight loss process. Did you follow anything or just did it as you went? You can email me at s_trevino@ymail.com if you'd like. Thanks!

October 22, 2010 at 18:00 | Report abuse |
    • Cole

Since a lot of nutrients are fat soluble, you're not doing your body any favors by going on a veg/fruit juice diet. It also deprives your bacteria of the stuff it needs to live and work for you (fiber and stuff).

In other words, it's a bad idea that will do you more harm than good.

October 23, 2010 at 13:59 | Report abuse |
    • peanuts

is it really the cleanse or that your not wolfing down big macs left and right and eating ramen like a college student. Learn to eat properly and you too can avoid starving yourself with a diet designed for auschwitz and sticking coffee in your butt!!!

October 24, 2010 at 02:33 | Report abuse |
  3. Rob

"Detox" diets are ridiculous. They obviously don't include a proper spread of nutrients able to support the body long term. They also simply don't provide enough calories to prevent the loss of an unnecessarily high proportion of muscle mass. Short term weight loss is not the answer. Changing the lifestyle so that your body permanently reconditions itself into the shape you desire is the way to ensure lasting results. A diet consisting of fruit and vegetable juices is not a solution. Rational, effective fat loss: http://www.NutritionPerfected.com

October 22, 2010 at 14:19 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Valerie

Rob, I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge with me/us but I didn't do the fast to lose weight at all, in fact, I work out regularly and am more concerned with gaining muscle mass and definition, not lose body fat. I was simply sharing my experience with a juice fast, not some crazy diet for short term weight loss which quite frankly, does not work. What I posted was TRUE, I felt GREAT! I do not have all the ins and outs as to why, and normally I eat pretty healthy anyway.....but I can attest to how light and energetic it really made me feel. That was all.

October 22, 2010 at 14:39 | Report abuse |
    • Valerie

So sorry I will post one more comment and then I will go away because I am not an expert by any means. Just wanted to clarify what I meant by "spirit over the flesh" because you pointed that out.......I was referring to how much food is all around us and is incorporated into just about everything socially within our culture....that was HARD to break away from for 20 days....and food, food, food..it's EVERYWHERE like a drug. Not good, wholesome, nourishing food, but fast, fattening, bad for you food.......I don't know, maybe I am bad at explaining things, but that was hard to deal with some days....Ok, Valerie shuts up now...............have a great weekend!

October 22, 2010 at 14:46 | Report abuse |
  4. John

I think the detox is a great idea. I especially liked the coffee enema, but be sure to let it cool first! After the first week I switched from coffee to vanilla latte enemas, but I think ultimately mocha frappuccino enemas might be the ticket.

October 22, 2010 at 18:36 | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Andy

Don't these people care about the environment? Releasing all of these toxins into the sewer system will kill all of the baby seals.

October 22, 2010 at 19:08 | Report abuse | Reply
    • chele

haaa!

October 23, 2010 at 15:50 | Report abuse |
    • DamLa

Good – I should deienitfly pronounce, impressed with your website. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related info ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it at all. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, web site theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Excellent task..

September 14, 2012 at 02:13 | Report abuse |
  6. Bob

As Valerie pointed out, it doesn't take an intelligent person to believe that "detox diets" are real.

October 22, 2010 at 20:26 | Report abuse | Reply
  7. D

I lost 42 pounds in 3 months...nice and healthy weight loss with some education on nutrition and foods (3month nutrition class at my community college), I knew what I could eat, how much I could eat and I didn't have to 'detox'(which is bullcrap) or bing. And I also did what so many others just don't want to do, is work out regularly! Yeah its been over a year now and I can still eat what I love and not feel like I need to follow these stupid diets that dont work. Just get educated! Its also a lifestyle change so you have to really want to change.

October 23, 2010 at 00:55 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Cole

Congratulations. Owning up and actually working for your health seems to be a rarity these days. Eating in moderation and exercise have been the "secret" to good health since forever and will continue to be the ONLY real solution.

"21 pounds in 21 days" is laughable and math is the one doing the laughing. A pound of fat is just below 3500 calories. When you lose 21 pounds on that joke of the diet, YOU'RE NOT LOSING THE RIGHT KIND OF WEIGHT, which is FAT. You're temporarily shedding a lot of water, which you'll gain right back, a bit of muscle mass (Not easy to get those back), and a bit of fat (which you'll gain right back like you will with the water weight).

October 23, 2010 at 14:07 | Report abuse |
    • OddManOut

It seems like every winter I put on a little extra weight and then it's a battle to get rid of it before the next fall. I tried a particular diet pill (not a popular one, but the marketing on the bottle sold me). The results were awesome and frightening. I lost 11 lbs in the first 6 days, and another 5 in the next 7. Of course I was also bike riding at least an hour a day and eating a fairly balanced/nutritious ~1500 calorie per day diet.

The next year I tried it again. But only lost about 8 lbs the first 2 weeks.

I tried it again this year, the year I turned 30. I lost NO weight, and developed muscle twitches in my left arm and left eye. The pills went in the trash about halfway through the bottle.

I cut out a few of the junky treats I still allowed myself to have, and replaced others with healthier alternatives. I also switched from biking to jogging about 3 miles a day and weight lifting every other day. 1st week, no weight change. 2nd week I GAINED 1lb. 3rd week, no change but I started noting changes in muscle definition and my belt was 1 – 2 inches tighter. 4th week, lost an inch on belt, gained an inch on my arms. 5th week I dropped 8 lbs.

After that I stopped really keeping track of weight and inches, because not only do I personally think I look better, I FEEL great! And that's really all I want anyway. The only down side is the days are so short now I can't go jogging after work any more. I'll have to figure out a new plan, but I just wanted to throw my story in in agreement with yours. If you want the results, you just have to do the work. Good eating and exercise habits...diligently. Yeah there's nutty schemes and fad diets that will knock off lbs in the short term, but they come at a price, albeit a different one.

October 24, 2010 at 00:57 | Report abuse |
  8. D

oops i meant binge

October 23, 2010 at 00:56 | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Constantine

Snooki – was mentioned!

October 23, 2010 at 10:33 | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Kerin

The best way to lose weight is to watch how you eat and exercise, there is no other way that will work long term for weight loss or for your health.

October 23, 2010 at 16:27 | Report abuse | Reply
    • cliff

FINALLY....someone who knows the "secret" to weight loss and maintaining the loss.
      Thanks.....your GINZU knives are in the mail. (insert smiley face here)
      cliff

October 24, 2010 at 22:50 | Report abuse |
  11. Smith

I have to brag about my recent "diet", which really isn't a diet at all. I have been overweight and obese. I've tried shakes, shots, cookie diets – you name it. All in an effort to lose weight quick. I was great at losing the weight, but terrible at keeping it off. I went to see Coach Heller and he found out why I eat like I do. We worked on the way I think about food and I haven't had a craving for sugar/starch since. Truly amazing! check him out: http://www.rapidlifechange.com

October 24, 2010 at 02:20 | Report abuse | Reply
    • Menglait

Einfach tolle Photo! Da wird man schon neidisch das man das slbeer nicht so hinbekommt! Aber Anregungen haben mir die Photos schon gegeben! Da werde ich am Wochenende wohl mal auf Motivsuche gehen! Grfcdfe!

September 11, 2012 at 17:17 | Report abuse |
  12. ICUnurse

Guys, I've had multiple patients come in with hyponatremia, hypocalcemia and a host of other serious (heart affecting) electrolyte imbalances because they went on these "detox" diets. We are not meant to live on juice. We are omnivores, and if people would just work some every day, exercise some every day, play some every day, relax some every day, and eat a reasonable diet (stop eating when you feel full, not keep eating until the plate's empty), you help your body do what it's designed to do. And if you do go on one of these diets, don't stop taking your blood pressure medicine or your diabetes meds; I don't care what the guy selling the program or your preacher tells you, you stop taking beta blockers suddenly after years of use, you will be coming to see me or someone like me....

October 24, 2010 at 03:31 | Report abuse | Reply
  13. wilson

You have to be very careful with detox diets because they will throw your system out of whack. Our bodies are designed to store fat in lean times and shed fat when food is plentiful. If you suddenly change your food intake, your body will compensate by going into starvation mode. When you come off the diet (suddenly), your body will go into over-drive and you'll actually store more fat than before. The best way to break the cycle is through proper nutrition, lots of exercise and losing excess weight gradually. Did you gain all that weight over night? Why do you expect to lose it faster than you gained it? Toxins are stored in fat, if you suddenly start dissolving fats, then where do you think they will go? Yeah... right through the liver and kidneys and that is bad to over load them by crash dieting. Remember, slow and steady is much better and you'll have better luck keeping it off for the long term. If it took you 3 years to get fat and out of shape, then plan to spend at least half that time to get back into shape if you do it the healthy way... less or more depending on your age, diet, and physical activity. Take the time to develop a life changing routine.... not a quick fix. Good luck!

October 24, 2010 at 03:58 | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Kaiser Slingblade

NO ONE of legal drinking age consumes Four Loko.

October 24, 2010 at 04:22 | Report abuse | Reply
    • alexandra

clearly you're not in college? plenty of people over 21 drink them. that was the most irrelevant, uneducated post i've ever seen.

October 24, 2010 at 12:49 | Report abuse |
    • Kaiser Slingblade

@ alexandra:
      I am in college and thus realize one must capitalize the beginning of each sentence. Set down the Four Loko, and get back to class.

October 25, 2010 at 05:10 | Report abuse |
  15. Fredederik Nielsen

Download FREE – State-of-the-art fitness progress tracking software that let YOU organize every aspect of your fat loss/muscle gain program in detail.
    Download the program here:
    And copy/paste this activation code when requirred:
    ELTRF-GBC-454C5-45246
    Enjoy!
    Jon Sommer Hansen.

October 24, 2010 at 09:41 | Report abuse | Reply
  16. P Ellen K

Regarding the Steve Harvey post: If he started at 238.4 and is happy now that his scale says 228, how does that work out to 21 lbs lost?
    Or, perhaps, its one more instance of "don't believe everything you read in the media." I also have some less charitable suggestions, but those will be left unsaid

October 24, 2010 at 11:53 | Report abuse | Reply
    • taxed1986

He said that after "a week" he lost the ten pounds. It's 21 lbs in 21 days. I'm sure he will try to get to 21 lbs in the 21 days allotted.

October 25, 2010 at 00:11 | Report abuse |
  17. lilly

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS i mean first they got whooping cough which my son died of now what is this THE WORLD NEEDS TO SHUTUP! thank you

October 24, 2010 at 17:02 | Report abuse | Reply
  18. Lora, Registered Dietitian

Please take a look at my blog for some advice on endurance athletes and diet. http://www.lorajody.com

October 28, 2010 at 13:50 | Report abuse | Reply
  19. lora

Between 2/26/13 and 2/28/13 I plan to try the steve harvey diet, add protein and fiber afterwards.. HERE I GO! WISH ME LUCK!

February 26, 2013 at 19:32 | Report abuse | Reply
  20. Paulina Verrier

Coffee is a brewed beverage with a distinct aroma and flavor, prepared from the roasted seeds of the Coffea plant. The seeds are found in coffee "berries", which grow on trees cultivated in over 70 countries, primarily in equatorial Latin America, Southeast Asia, India and Africa. Green (unroasted) coffee is one of the most traded agricultural commodities in the world.`

Brand new write-up on our personal blog site
    <http://www.caramoan.co

April 29, 2013 at 08:28 | Report abuse | Reply
  21. Jaime Droessler

A week-long detox diet is the ultimate health and beauty boost, and the perfect way to kick-off a weight-loss programme. For most of us, however, detoxing conjures up visions of living on nothing but water for days – and then scoffing our way though a packet of chocolate digestives to cheer ourselves up.:.-,

All the best
    http://healthmedicine.codi Jaime Droessler

June 19, 2013 at 06:47 | Report abuse | Reply
  22. herbal detox cleanse

Thanks for the share it was a educational read. I always was healthy and love being active this just make me more motiviated to stay health and active thanks.

September 10, 2015 at 06:51 | Report abuse | Reply
  23. Lazaro Lanpher

Obviamente, por la misma seguridad”, la copia de tu disco duro (que resulta que sí hacen, por si las moscas), se borra al poco de salir el portatil de vuelta para su dueño. Los del PC City como los tuyos de la FNAC, esquivando balazos y dando a entender que estas cosas no te pasan sólo a ti y con idea tirando a nula de si tu portátil estuvo en un sitio u otro. Y sobre el servicio postventa no tengo ninguna queja, ya que alguna vez me han tramitado una garantía y ha ido todo muy bien (y no he tenido que gritar, ni insultar). Al día siguiente llamo al servicio de BALAY y compruebo que mi frigorífico había pasado justamente la garantía de 2 años dos tres meses antes.

October 21, 2016 at 08:31 | Report abuse | Reply